Net Positive, Internet Health Film Shorts from Mozilla and Rooftop Films
Categories: Internet Health

Watch: Net Positive, Internet Health Film Shorts

If a picture speaks a thousand words, a video tells all. On Saturday, July 29, Rooftop Films and Mozilla presented a screening of thought-provoking short films about our favorite shared resource, the Internet. Hundreds of film fans and Web lovers gathered in Brooklyn, NYC for Net Positive, Internet Health Film Shorts to get a filmmaker’s view on what’s helping and what’s hurting the Web.

If, like me, you couldn’t make the event, you can still watch most of the films online from the comfort of your own home. Pop some corn and scroll down for get a fresh take on privacy, security, love, surveillance and the ever-familiar role of family tech support. You’ll laugh, you’ll cry, you might even get righteously indignant. Either way, we want to hear your review in the comments.

HITRECORD x Firefox: Too Much Information

Directed by Joseph Gordon Levitt & hitRECord (2017, 7 min.)

We all have our boundaries. Through personal stories, hitRECord’s community of artists explore where to draw the line for online privacy. Bonus material: visit the project page to see how the work evolved through hitRECord’s collaborative process.

It Should Be Easy

Directed by Ben Meinhardt (2016, 2 min.)

A son takes what should be a simple tech support call from his mother in the middle of his workday. Have you been there? (Throwback alert: back yellow rotary phone sighting.)

Lovestreams

Directed by Sean Buckelew (2016, 10 min.)

Who are we online? Do these net-cross’d lovers stand a chance? Bonus material: read our interview with Buckelew.

Project X

Directed by Henrik Moltke and Laura Poitras (2016, 11 min.)

A top-secret handbook takes viewers on an undercover journey to Titanpointe, the site of a hidden partnership. Narrated by Rami Malek (aka Mr. Robot) and Michelle Williams, and based on classified NSA documents, Project X reveals the inner workings of a windowless skyscraper in downtown Manhattan. Bonus material: read more about Moltke and Poitras’ collaboration on the film.

Hyper-Reality

Directed by Keiichi Matsuda (2016, 6 min.)

Our physical and virtual realities are becoming increasingly intertwined. Technologies such as VR, augmented reality, wearables and the Internet of things are pointing to a world where technology will envelop every aspect of our lives. It will be the glue between every interaction and experience, offering amazing possibilities, while also controlling the way we understand the world. Hyper-Reality attempts to explore this exciting but dangerous trajectory. Bonus material: this film was crowdsourced on Kickstarter.

Pizza Surveillance

Directed by Micah Laaker (2004, 2 min.)

We think it’s convenient when the take-out place knows our address from our phone number. But just how much information do we want to share? Bonus material: the ACLU recognized this short for shedding light on the loss of personal private information to corporations.

The Price of Certainty

Directed by Daniele Anastasion (2016, 11 min.)

In times of social and political uncertainty, humans seek answers that offer one absolute truth — but at what cost? Famed psychologist Arie Kruglanski explores why we become so polarized. Bonus material: read Anastasion’s article in The New York Times for more background on the piece.

Two more films

Two films on Saturday’s program aren’t available online, but be on the lookout for screenings in your locale. [8/18 UPDATE: The full Harvest film is now available below.]

I Know You From Somewhere, a short comedy directed by Andrew Fitzgerald, is about a young woman who incurs the wrath of the Internet after inadvertently becoming a viral sensation.

Harvest (2017, 12 min.), directed by Kevin Byrnes, follows the daily life of a woman named Jenni, exploring the simple patterns that define her. As we get to know her, we come to understand the extent to which her seemingly ordinary life is of great interest to people she has never met.

17 comments on “Watch: Net Positive, Internet Health Film Shorts”

1. Susan Guerrero Light wrote on

Thank you.

2. Jon wrote on

Great stuff. Thanks!

1. anthony wrote on

it very interested to see.

3. Ken Collier wrote on

It would be useful (to me, at least) if video length was listed with the title.

Good quality material, what I saw of it so far.

1. M.J. Kelly wrote on

Hey Ken! The length of each video is shown just below the title in a smaller font.

2. antthony wrote on

it makes very interested to all of us,

4. Liz wrote on

Hyper-reality and pizza surveillance really hit home for me. Pizza surveillance mostly because I actually enjoyed the fact that my regular pizza place knew where to deliver the pizza so I don’t have to explain it every time. But now I am starting to think that it’s not a good idea especially for security purposes. I also just realized that my pizza place never asked for my permission to store that information.

My goal now is to get as many people as I can to watch this. We should all be thinking about the information that we share.

1. Cal wrote on

Hi Liz

I liked Pizza Surveilance too – I thought it packed a lot of complex issues into a very short period of time. It makes a lot of sense for your local pizza place to know where you live, it saves both you and the business time – however do they need to know everything? I guess if you order enough pizza they are going to know your voice and address the old fashioned way.

It also demonstrates data being used for both good and evil – On one hand we see an attempt to improve the health of the pizza customer but on the other hand we see discrimination based on the customers ‘dangerous’ neighborhood.

It quickly cuts to the politics of what we judge to be fair and reasonable in society.

Anyway, thanks Rooftop Films and Mozilla for putting this collection together.
      Cal

5. Robert Weir wrote on

I am using Firefox 54.0 on Linux and I could not view 3 of the Videos, Y?

6. Åke Nygren wrote on

Great productions! Thanks for sharing. I will definitely make use of these in our Media and Information Literacy programming at my workplace, the Digital Library Dept at Stockholm Public Library. Would be cool to translate the films into Swedish, for bigger impact.

7. Andy Foster wrote on

Nice!

Oh wait – no captions.

Oh well – another missed opportunity.

8. wokorachdanielz wrote on

nice

9. donna matosky wrote on

I wanted to watch all the films only the youtube films won’t work. It says that my browser doesn’t have HTML5. I am using firefox but I can’t watch you tube.

10. Robert Quevillon wrote on

The film on cognitive closure was by far the most interesting. The implication was disturbing: Oh whatever. Sort of like in an old film when Telly Savalas cynically spewed out: “What is truth!”

11. Rosmarie wrote on

Fix “mom’s feisty phishing problem”??????? A bit sexist, don’t you think so? in my experience it is more the fathers you have to worry about. this just to point out a thoughtless phrase and has nothing to do with the interesting article itself. Thanks.

1. M.J. Kelly wrote on

Hey Rosmarie, that phrase refers to the first film short’s story, Ben Meinhardt’s “It Should Be Easy,” in which the main character takes a tech support call from his mom.

12. Bhawna wrote on

Really great stuff
    please educate more ppl regarding this

All the best