It’s been a quiet couple of weeks, due to Christmas, New Year, and all that.
Two leaks in add-ons were fixed.
- cyberscorpio fixed a zombie compartment in the Super Start add-on. The problem was that the add-on was failing to remove an event observer when a page is unloaded. The fix will be present in v3.6.2.
- Jesse Hakanen fixed a zombie compartment in the AdBlock Plus Pop-up Addon add-on (note that this is add-on extends the blocking functionality of AdBlock Plus, it’s not AdBlock Plus itself). The problem was that the add-on was failing to catch the page unload event, and so some references to closed pages were left in memory. The fix is now available in v0.3.
Because both leaks had similar causes, I updated the documentation on avoiding zombie compartments in add-ons accordingly.
Patches for two other MemShrink bugs landed.
- Stefan Wilberg fixed a regression that was causing about:addons to not be freed after closing it.
- I added a memory reporter for nsAtomTable. It’s usually 1MB or more.
I saw two noteworthy mentions of Firefox’s recent reductions in memory consumption. The first was in webmonkey.com’s review of Firefox 9.
Cross-browser memory comparisons are fraught with difficulties, both in the measuring and the interpreting, so I don’t give the comparison with Opera much weight. But the fact that this author has seen Firefox’s own memory consumption drop over the last few versions is meaningful.
The second was a comment on the previous MemShrink progress report from AC about Firefox 10.
You may remember that I posted a few weeks ago saying that Firefox 9 beta was great and that I could definitely see more memory and performance improvements over Fire 7 and 8. Well I am pleased to say that after a few days of using Firefox 10 beta 1, I can clearly see more memory improvements again. There is an obvious difference between Firefox 9 and Firefox 10 on the beta channel.
I have no hard evidence as such other than saying that nothing has changed on my laptop in the last few weeks but I am using the same heavy tab load and the memory usage displayed by Windows task manager is lower than it was by about 20 MB and the responsiveness and speed feels sharp.
Whatever you guys are doing with the Memshrink project, keep doing it because the results are paying dividends.
I’ve read literally 1000s of complaints about Firefox’s memory consumption online, so it’s very encouraging to hear compliments.
Here are the current bug counts.
- P1: 28 (-0/+2)
- P2: 143 (-1/+5)
- P3: 64 (-1/+1)
- Unprioritized: 0 (-0/+0)
No big changes, unsurprisingly. [Update: the P2 numbers were incorrect and have been fixed.]