Since we implemented Add-ons Default to Compatible, most add-ons that were updated to work on Firefox 4 continue to work on the latest releases. The add-on compatibility problems we’ve had ever since have been minimal.
However, there are still a number of popular add-ons that weren’t updated for the switch to Firefox 4. People who still have these add-ons installed may be skipping Firefox updates because their add-ons are not compatible yet, and probably never will be. As we make a stronger push to move users away from old and potentially insecure Firefox versions, we need to make sure they don’t lose the add-ons they love.
Luckily, we have an amazing add-on developer community, where no abandoned add-on goes unforked. I spent a great deal of time looking for the most popular add-ons still in use on 3.6 and lower, as well as their best alternatives. Here they are.
- Mr Tech Toolkit. I tried to get in touch with the developers to no avail. They have an updated version available on their site. I normally wouldn’t recommend non-AMO add-ons, but I reviewed the current file (toolkit.xpi, version 188.8.131.5200) and everything looks good, except for a few features that appear to be broken. If you use this add-on, I’d like to hear which of its features you use.
- Snap Links. Compatible alternative: Snap Links Plus.
- Gmail Notifier. Compatible alternatives: WebMail Notifier, GMail Checker.
- RapidShare DownloadHelper. Compatible alternative: Rapidshare Helper. This add-on hasn’t received full approval, but it doesn’t appear to have any major problems.
- Bahasa Indonesia (ID) Language Pack, Estonian Language Pack. You can download the latest Firefox already translated to this language (and many more!) from the International Versions page. Just install it over your current Firefox install and you won’t lose any bookmarks or data.
- 1-Click YouTube Video Download, YouTube Download, Flash Video Resources Downloader. We have many YouTube downloaders listed on AMO, and I specially recommend Video DownloadHelper.
- MinimizeToTray Plus. Compatible alternative: MinimizeToTray Revived.
- Update Notifier. Compatible alternative: Add-on Update Checker.
- Full Fullscreen. Modern versions of Firefox already hide toolbars in a similar way. There are some kiosk applications listed on AMO, though we normally don’t allow them to get full review.
- Noia 2.0 (eXtreme). Compatible alternative: Noia 4.
- PDF Plugin for Firefox on Mac OS X. Compatible alternative: PDF Viewer, a.k.a pdf.js, created by Mozilla Labs and possibly coming soon as part of Firefox.
- CacheViewer. Compatible alternative: CacheViewer Continued.
- CustomizeGoogle. I couldn’t find an exact match, but you should try Google Minimalist and SearchTweaker. There are many more, of course.
- Ad blocker. Compatible alternative: Updated Ad Blocker. And the always popular AdBlock Plus.
- CuteMenus – Crystal SVG. Compatible alternative: Menu Icons Plus.
- Mouse Gestures Redox. Compatible alternatives: All-in-One Gestures and FireGestures.
- 1-ClickWeather, Forecastbar Enhanced, WeatherBug. Compatible alternative: Forecastfox Weather.
- Easy DragToGo. Compatible alternative: DragIt.
- Organize Status Bar. Since the status bar was replaced with the Add-on Bar in recent versions or Firefox, you can reorganize all of your buttons and toolbars in one place. This extension isn’t necessary anymore.
- Chromifox Basic. Compatible alternative: FXChrome.
- Fox Splitter (formerly Split Browser). The add-on was forked by the developer into the new Fox Splitter. You should uninstall the old version and install this new one.
- Splash. This add-on displays a splash window before Firefox loads. Understandably, there are no known alternatives. Why would you want to slow down Firefox load time for this? I’d love to know…
- Smart Bookmarks Bar. Compatible alternatives: Roomy Bookmarks Toolbar and Smartest Bookmarks Bar.
- SQLite Optimizer. This add-on is generally unnecessary. The largest local DB in your profile is usually the Places DB, and that one is vacuumed when necessary. Other add-ons that handle very active DBs should do the same.
- Clipmarks. Compatible alternative: Evernote Web Clipper.
- Auto Shutdown. Compatible alternative: Auto Shutdown NG.
- AnyColor. The very new Colorlicious covers its most important features. We also recommend giving Background Themes (Personas) a try.
- Print Preview. Compatible alternative: Print Preview (Update).
Are there any other add-ons holding you back on Firefox 3.6 or older? Do you have other recommendations for alternatives? Let me know in the comments!