Extend Firefox 2 has wrapped up and we’re super excited to announce the winners! We received well over 100 entries, representing hundreds of hours of hard work from people around the world.
A big thanks to all who participated! And special thanks to our panel of judges, including Garrett Camp (StumbleUpon), Brendan Eich (Mozilla), Jesse James Garrett (Adaptive Path), Tariq Krim (NetVibes), and Joshua Schachter (del.ico.us) and our sponsors, including ActiveState, O’Reilly, and VMware.
Although many of these extensions are in their early stages of experimental development, we’re blown away by what their authors were able to achieve within the time constraints of the contest, and we’re really looking forward to where they take their extensions from here. It was hard to pick our winners from among the many excellent entries, but we’ve now selected three Grand Prize winners who will each receive an Ultimate Firefox Developer Kit, including:
- travel and accommodation to a Mozilla Developer Day of the winner’s choice anywhere in the world;
- development gear, including a brand new 15″ Macbook Pro with VMware Fusion and ActiveState Komodo;
- One-Year Unlimited Access subscription to O’Reilly’s Safari Library;
- a Firefox Ogio Messenger Bag stuffed with t-shirts, books, stickers, mugs, and more.
And, twelve Runner-Up Prize winners who will each receive a Firefox Pack, including:
- a Firefox Ogio Messenger Bag stuffed with t-shirts, books, stickers, and more;
- ActiveState Komodo, mug, and t-shirt;
- a $200 Gift Certificate for O’Reilly Books.
Congratulations to our awesome fifteen! And thanks again to all who contributed add-ons and ideas. Stay tuned for details of Extend Firefox 3, which will kick off within the next month.
Grand Prize Winners
- Minimap Sidebar Extension by Tony Farndon (UK)
Tired of managing multiple tabs while searching for directions? Well Minimap Sidebar Extension has your solution! By integrating maps into your current Firefox window, Minimap allows you to search for and save directions on the fly.
- Create and save a sidebar map using the addresses or address links you find on web pages (highlight then drag and drop), or by manually adding locations.
- View traffic Info, drag and drop or manually add KML file links, local search, directions, and view satellite imagery.
- Easily access microformatted addresses when the Operator extension is installed.
- SamePlace by Massimiliano Mirra (Italy)
Looking for a way to manage all of your instant messenger conversations? Why not look to the browser? SamePlace is an extensible, multi-network instant messenger. It allows you to keep all of your conversations in one place – much of our time online is spent in the browser, so what better place to keep an eye on our contacts than the sidebar?
- Chat with your contacts from GMail, Jabber, MSN, Yahoo!, ICQ, and AIM.
- Share what you find quickly by dragging web page snippets (photos, animated emoticons, text selections, etc) into chats.
- Play board games, sketch, give presentations, and more with support for shared applications.
- Shareaholic by Jay Meattle (USA)
Found something awesome online and can’t wait to pass it on? Tired of copying and pasting endless URLs? Shareaholic allows you to bookmark and e-mail web pages quickly without leaving your browser.
- Submit any web page to your favorite sharing or bookmarking service, including digg, del.icio.us, facebook, friendfeed, google bookmarks, magnolia, mixx, reddit, stumbleupon, tumblr and twitter.
- E-mail pages directly to your friends.
- Quickly out how many times a web page has been dugg or saved to del.icio.us.
- All in One Sidebar
- Ingo Wennemaring
- Nicolas Martin
- del.icio.us IncSearch
- Hirokazu Onozato
- Fast Dial
- Sergey Suhoruchkin
- Taiga Gomibuchi
- Boris Ruf
- Gilad Kutiel
- Mark Muday
- Davide Ficano
- Kazuho Okui
- Update Scanner
- Pete Burgers
- URL Fixer
- Christopher Finke
Thanks again to everyone who participated, and stay tuned for Extend Firefox 3, launching in early March.