Weave Sync is a prototype that encrypts and securely synchronizes the Firefox experience across multiple browsers, so that your desktop, laptop, and mobile phone can all work together. It is part of the Weave project, which aims to integrate services more closely with the browser.
M5 Development Milestone
We’re proud to announce the release of the next development milestone of Weave Sync on the road towards the upcoming 0.3 release
What is Weave Sync all about? In short, Weave Sync lets you securely take your Firefox experience with you to all your Firefox browsers — including our mobile browser, codenamed Fennec. It currently supports continuous synchronization of your bookmarks, browsing history, saved passwords and tabs. For example:
- Get the same results on the Smart Location Bar on each of your Firefox browsers, so you can get to your favorite sites with just a few keystrokes
- Continue what you were doing: have the ability to open any tab you have open on any of your Firefox browsers
- Keep the same list of bookmarks on all of your Firefox browsers
- Easily sign in to all your favorite sites using your saved passwords (this is especially handy on mobile phones, where it’s hard to type in complex passwords)
- Do it all securely: Weave Sync encrypts user data before uploading it to Mozilla’s servers, so that only you can access your data
What’s new in M5?
- Improved reliability and performance, specially on Fennec.
- Added the first pass of a set of user controls to help recover from sync problems: one way sync up/down, force a slow-sync.
- Polished UI on Firefox and Fennec.
Getting Involved with Testing and Development
- Register for a Weave account on http://services.mozilla.com/
- Install the latest development milestone (requires Firefox 3.1 beta 3)
- Learn more about Weave.
- Discuss, debate, and add to the design in the Weave forum.
- Join us in #labs on irc.mozilla.org.
– Dan Mills, on behalf of the Weave development team