I joined Mozilla Labs recently to lead the team’s product marketing initiatives. By coincidence, in my first team meeting we discussed what it meant to be “open”. This led to a broader debate about how Labs is and should live up to its fundamental principles: openness, innovation, transparency, community participation and accelerated product development.
As one of my first projects, I’m evaluating areas where Mozilla Labs can further live up to its brand and ensure that it is doing its part to push the boundaries of the web experience. To avoid developing this in a black hole, I wanted to open up the conversation to get your ideas.
To kick it off, let’s explore the concept of open ideation. By “open ideation”, I mean providing a place for the community to post and present their ideas. The goal is for the community to discuss and identify the ideas which should be developed into prototypes and, based on results, potentially be incorporated into Firefox and/or the web browsing platform. But what is the most effective way for Mozilla Labs to accomplish this?
- How can Mozilla Labs promote open ideation but still be able to drill down to a subset of ideas which will continue onto the prototype phase? What should be the criteria and/or mechanism deployed for funneling the ideas?
- If you posted your idea to Mozilla Labs what kind of feedback would be useful to you?
- How much guidance would you want Mozilla Labs to provide around what ideas to discuss e.g., no guidance, general themes, specific questions, etc.?
- Are there particular topics that you want to see Mozilla Labs discussing/blogging about more?
- What are examples of organizations that are doing a great job in promoting and deploying open ideation with the broader community?
I look forward to your insights – leave your comments either on this blog or head over to our discussion group. Over the next few weeks, I’ll be posting a series of blog posts which address the areas needing the most input to further evolve Mozilla Labs.
- Mayumi on behalf of the Mozilla Labs team