SUMO – support.mozilla.com – was launched as the official in-product help for Firefox 3. SUMO is built on top of TikiWiki (an open source wiki built with PHP and MySQL) which had never been used on such a large scale website before. In this case study we’ll cover the steps used to get SUMO up for Download Day and keep it up since. We’ll cover:
- Systems approach and diagnosis
- Database architecture, replication, and full text search
- Making caching work (in so many ways)
- Tricks, hacks, and workarounds
- Load testing: the architecture of our test cluster and tools and how we use them
The presentation starts at 1:45 pm in meeting room J2. Be there, or be sqrt()!