Hello, SUMO Nation!
Welcome to November – probably the most important month for us this year, as we will be migrating SUMO to a new home. More about this below, so keep reading.
Welcome, new contributors!
If you just joined us, don’t hesitate – come over and say “hi” in the forums!
- LATEST ONE: 2nd of November – you can read the notes here and see the video at AirMozilla.
- NEXT ONE: happening on the 10th of November!
- If you want to add a discussion topic to the upcoming meeting agenda:
- Start a thread in the Community Forums, so that everyone in the community can see what will be discussed and voice their opinion here before Wednesday (this will make it easier to have an efficient meeting).
- Please do so as soon as you can before the meeting, so that people have time to read, think, and reply (and also add it to the agenda).
- If you can, please attend the meeting in person (or via IRC), so we can follow up on your discussion topic during the meeting with your feedback.
- Read Seburo’s post about SUMO’s diversity on the Mozilla Discourse forums – and join the discussion there!
- Got ideas for SUMO badges highlighting people’s “soft” skills? Talk to Roland or Michał.
- Reminder: The malware issue is still ongoing, but there is a very easy method of making sure users don’t fall into any fake update traps – they should upgrade to version 49 as soon as possible!
- MozFest came and went… How was it for you, if you were there (even if only virtually)? Tell us in the comments!
- Check the notes from the last meeting in this document. (and don’t forget about our meeting recordings).
- We are getting closer to the soft launch (14th of November). The “hard” launch (we hope it will be actually softer than the soft one) will happen one week afterwards.
- You can also follow the migration through our public Trello board.
- Highlights from the last few days include:
- A test migration into the staging site, to see how the data adapts to the new platform. Watch the meeting video to learn more about this straight from Madalina.
- Progress report – we’re working (or waiting on) on the site’s structure, the general UX design and the l10n tools. The displaying/collection of the user agent of users reporting issues is on the roadmap, but with a lower priority.
- Highlights from the last few days include:
- The post-migration feature list can be found here (courtesy of Roland – ta!)
- We are looking for user stories to focus on immediately after the migration (also known as “Phase 1”)
- If you are interested in test-driving the new platform now, please contact Madalina. Got feedback about the staging site? Drop it here!
- Reminder: email Sierra at sreedATmozilla.com to get a scheduled training date for Respond and get on board as soon as you complete it!
- It’s the final countdown for the Army of Awesome (the tool, not the people). It will be going away in about 2 weeks. Huge thanks to all of those who used it to great effect :-)
- Thanks to jscher2000 for following up on a case of malware posing as Firefox updates that lead to Knowledge Base improvements regarding adblockers.
- No big news from the forums this week, which is good – it means things are progressing (rather) smoothly – thank you all!
- Surprise, surprise, another Adobe Flash Security Update!
- Don’t forget that the support forum for forum supporters is there for you if you need more help helping others ;-)
- Over 330 revisions were submitted over the last 7 days to the KB – you rock!
- We are 2Reminder: we are following the process/schedule outlined here):
What does that mean? (
- Only Joni or other admins can introduce and/or approve potential last minute changes of next release content; only Joni or other admins can set new content to RFL; localizers should focus on this content
- All other existing content is deprioritized, but can be edited and localized as usual
- Reminder: here’s the list of articles that are required for the version 50 release:
- Get localizing, SUMO l10ns!
- FINAL REMINDER: please check this spreadsheet to see which locales should be migrated to Lithium in the first wave
- Locale packages that will be migrated are marked as “match” and “needed” in the spreadsheet
- Other locales will be stored as an archive at sumo-archive.mozilla.org – and will be added whenever there are contributors ready to keep working on them
- We are also waiting for confirmation about the mechanics of l10n, we may be launching the first version without an l10n system built in – but all the localized content and UI should be there in all the locales listed in the spreadsheet above.
- for Android
- HLS video will be present version 50 – which is coming on November 15th or thereabout. There are some known issues in the current implementation – Roland will be posting more about the “ignorable error” in the forums.
- for Desktop
- Version 50 coming November 15th!
That’s it for now, SUMO peeps (to quote Madalina). We will see you around the site, so keep rocking the helpful web and talk to you soon – one way or another.