[Mozilla announced Firefox 3 Beta 1 today. Mike Beltzner has a comprehensive post on DevNews, crossposted below. Reminder that the Firefox 3 Beta 1 milestone release is intended for testing purposes only and is not for casual users. – Melissa Shapiro]
Firefox 3 Beta 1 now available for download
Please note: We do not recommend that anyone other than developers and testers download the Firefox 3 Beta 1 milestone release. It is intended for testing purposes only.
Firefox 3 Beta 1 is now available for download. This is the ninth developer milestone focused on testing the core functionality provided by many new features and changes to the platform scheduled for Firefox 3. Ongoing planning for Firefox 3 can be followed at the Firefox 3 Planning Center, as well as in mozilla.dev.planning and on irc.mozilla.org in #granparadiso.
New features and changes in this milestone that require feedback include:
- Improved security features such as: better presentation of website identity and security, malware protection, stricter SSL error pages, anti-virus integration in the download manager, and version checking for insecure plugins.
- Improved ease of use through: better password management, easier add-on installation, new download manager with resumable downloading, full page zoom, animated tab strip, and better integration with Windows Vista and Mac OS X.
- Richer personalization through: one-click bookmarking, smart search bookmark folders, direct typing in location bar searches your history and bookmarks for URLs and page titles, ability to register web applications as protocol handlers, and better customization of download actions for file types.
- Improved platform features such as: new graphics and font rendering architecture, native web page form controls, colour profile management, and offline application support.
- Performance improvements such as: better data reliability for user profiles, architectural improvements to speed up page rendering, over 300 memory leak fixes, and a new XPCOM cycle collector to reduce entire classes of leaks.
(You can find out more about all of these features in the “What’s New” section of the release notes.)
Testers can download Firefox 3 Beta 1 builds for Windows, Mac OSX and Linux in over 20 different languages. Please be sure to read the full release notes before using this preview release. Developers should look at the Firefox 3 for Developers article on the Mozilla Developer Center.
Note: Please do not link directly to the download site. Instead we strongly encourage you to link to this Firefox 3 Beta 1 milestone announcement so that everyone will know what this milestone is, what they should expect, and who should be downloading to participate in testing at this stage of development.
Ping from Firefox 3 Beta 1 Ready for Testing « outaTiME on
Ping from Security Tips » Firefox 3 Beta 1 Out For Testing on
Ping from Mozilla libera versão beta do Firefox 3.0 on
Ping from Firefox 3 Beta 1 » Pods.lv - Latvijas interneta pods on
Ping from Firefox 3.0 Beta 1 - Now Available - Harry Waldron - Microsoft MVP Blog on
Ping from GadgetsArabia » Blog Archive » FireFox 3 Beta is out !! on
Ping from Firefox 3 beta 1 finally out!! | trmanco.com on
Ping from Firefox 3 Beta 1 en Crónica de una vida on
Ping from Firefox 3.0 Beta 1 - Now Available - Harry Waldron - My IT Forums Blog on
Ping from Vector-Pixel.com » Mozilla Firefox 3 Beta 1 on
Ping from ThemePassion - Best stuff about design! » Firefox 3 Beta 1 Ready for Testing on
Ping from Chuck Adkins » My results with Firefox 3 Beta 1 on
Ping from Firefox, Kindle(ing) and more | K-Squared Ramblings on
Ping from Firefox 3 Beta: adesso ufficiale » Web Burning Blog on
Trackback from Firefox 3 pälvib kiidusõnu... on
Ping from fasterda » Firefox 3 Beta 1 Ready for Testing on
Ping from Micahville » Blog Archive » Firefox 3.0 Beta 1 Released on
Ping from d3bruts1d.com / Firefox 3 Beta 1 Released on
Ping from RickMahn.com » Blog Archive » links for 2007-11-22 on
Ping from How-to Install Firefox 3 Beta 1 in Ubuntu | Tombuntu on
Ping from FireFox 3 Beta is out « مدونة عبــود on
Ping from Firefox 3 beta 1 is great… | Across Weirdish Wild Space on