Firefox 47 Release and Firefox iOS 4.0
In London, Mozlondon, we had a session on creating a SUMO Release Report a few weeks after major updates to Mozilla products. This post will be the first to include testimonials from users and submissions from users in the community to make it unique to SUMO. With the intention to highlight all of the work that the community comes to accomplish together, the user testimonials, feedback, copious issues found, brought to attention and solved, knowledge base articles created, and collaborated on, as well as article translations to so many languages and organized social media this report shows how much we need your help. Core Community Members and new ones are equally as important. We have highlighted the issues that were and are actively being tracked down to improve Firefox and other Mozilla products.
We have lots of ways to contribute, from Support to Social to PR, the ways you can help shape our communications program and tell the world about Mozilla are endless. For more information: [https://goo.gl/NwxLJF]
Customer Kudos to the SUMO community
1104 users said “thank you” out of the 7300 answers during this time.
We cannot include all of the thank yous that were received, however these are many of the community members that also received thank yous from Firefox users. Shout outs to Fred, cor-el, Seburo, philipp, Matt, Zenos, Scribe, jscher2000, James, Wayne Mary, Chris Ilias, Christ1, the-edmeister, Tonnes, Toad-Hall. They all received direct thank yous from users and their solved issues.
Feedback and community highlights
- Great support from John 99, jscher2000, and FredMcD
- Great support from Seburo
|Article||Voted “helpful” (English/US only)||Global views||Constructive User Feedback|
(June 7 – June 30)
|Allow Firefox to load multiple tabs in the background||71-76%||5340||“Why do you think it is a good idea to confuse existing users with taking away the options they once had? Why change the options that they choose to set? I am mildly upset”|
|Pages appear tiny when I print or view them in Print Preview||51-62%||3281||“Still having an issue.”
“My print_paper_height and _width settings appear in millimeters even though the paper being used is set to 8.5 x 11 inches. Margin settings still appear in inches”
“Prints half size in width. Followed instructions exactly”
“page goes from very small when printing to very large font when using email”
“actually my log in page is about the size of a dollar bill…..I cant see it because it is so small I can go to Internet Explorer and I have NO PROBLEM but firefox another story”
|Firefox support has ended for OS X 10.6, 10.7 and 10.8||57-83%||3222|
|Watch DRM content on Firefox||66-70%||209049||“never had a problem watching videos on amazon prime till you people came up with this explanation that to non tech people is just jibberish”
“all of a sudden not work to stream toytube or netfilx”
“Has no mention of whether Linux will have Widevine support in the future. This seems odd given that Google Chrome already has that support built-in.”
(June 7 – June 30)
|Turn off web fonts in Firefox for Android||100%||340||none|
|What’s new in Firefox for Android||—||8||none|
|Firefox Marketplace Apps Stop Working on Firefox 47+ for Android||71-95%||26612||none|
|What’s new in Firefox for iOS (version 4.0)||60-87%||1,618,561||None|
|Add Firefox to the Today view on your iOS device||75-85%||18,071||None|
|Certificate warnings in Firefox for iOS||72-76%||2,751||none|
**No articles were linked from major publications (via Google Analytics.) but if you see any in your region, please mention them.
|Article||Top 10 locale coverage||Top 20 locale coverage|
|Desktop (June 7 – June 30)|
|Allow Firefox to load multiple tabs in the background||100%||66.6%|
|Pages appear tiny when I print or view them in Print Preview||100%||66.6%|
|Firefox support has ended for OS X 10.6, 10.7 and 10.8||40%||23.8%|
|Watch DRM content on Firefox||100%||80%|
|Android (June 7 – June 30)|
|Turn off web fonts in Firefox for Android||100%||66.6%|
|What’s new in Firefox for Android||60%||33%|
|Firefox Marketplace Apps Stop Working on Firefox 47+ for Android||100%||57%|
Support Forum Threads
One of the major impacted issues during the first three weeks of the release was an increase in reports to fake updates and malware from those updates. Many of them were reported and still be investigated.
- I received an “urgent Firefox Patch” notification: is this legitimate?
- Is this a patch from firefox? Firefox-patch.exe
- I got a Urgent Firefox update from https://phaitxiaoshoubang.org/8301092144808/e8f07d9270bdade361fab48a9d15e67e.html Should I manually install ?
- I got a red screen with the Firefox logo that says “Urgent Firefox update” asking to save the file firefox-patch.exe. This this real?
- More on this in this thread post: here
Not solved top viewed threads – GA
Bugs Created from Forum threads – SUMO Community
- [Noah] This typo has embarrassingly been in release on the Argentina locale since July 2015! :The word “nombre” (name) was misspelled “mombre”.
- https://bugzil.la/1282867 – [es-AR] Translation update proposed for browser/chrome/browser/preferences/sync.dtd:changeSyncDevice
- “version 47.0 browser is not responding when i want to see print version”
- A significant crash caused by Flash was investigated, still hunting down the link…they uplifted it for beta 4
- There were not many this time, if you recall any for next time we would love to hear about them. What was searched searched:
Social Support Highlights
Brought to you by Sprinklr
Total contributors in program
In this time we had a total of 14 of you login and participate in the Firefox 47 release.
New users added in period of the report
Welcome Magno, Daniella, Luis, and TheoC to the team you were very active these past three weeks and thank you for supporting Mozilla Open Source users on Facebook and Twitter on the Sprinklr tool.
Top 5 Contributors
|User||Number of Replies|
|Jhonatas Rodrigues Machado||12|
Number of Replies: 111
Trending issues in Sprinklr
Outbound top engagement:
Each Facebook outbound post reached one person for support, the two major engagements overlapped with Code Emoji and the plane,
Top Twitter Posts
This version we removed the tag summary and are currently working on items that translate to more specific categories. Not working will be removed and more will be added. However taking a deep dive in the top categories for outbound messages to Mozilla Open Source product users this what we found.
- “Not working” is associated with these suggested troubleshooting steps and categories: antivirus was mentioned 3 times, malware was mentioned once, trying a Firefox Refresh 1, hanging 1, Trying Safe mode 1, and Kaspersky 1, changing a Firefox setting was mentioned once, and a more complicated website issue was asked to troubleshoot in the forums. This can be concluded to be some of the most common troubleshooting steps for Firefox for Desktop described here: http://mzl.la/16zLrEU
- “Crashes” is associated with outbound troubleshooting that say check out how to ttp://mzl.la/14A6XM2 or go to the support forum 50/50 of the time.
- “Video” tags were the third top category and basic troubleshooting were to clear the cache, asks if the website is the issue and suggests html5.