Starting with Firefox 14 beta we are refreshing the site identity UI for desktop.
Goals for this design are:
- Reduce redundancy in main UI by only having one favicon that lives in the tab
- Increase security by removing the ability for websites to spoof the favicon
- (Re) Introduce a consistent encryption indicator
- Streamline the URL bar and its contents for Australis
- Have a consistent location for accessing the identity panel
- Retain the drag target for bookmarks
Note: These changes apply to all platforms
The globe indicates a regular site and serves as a consistent drag target and access point for the identity panel.
For sites with SSL encryption we re-added the lock icon and show “https”.
Sites that have an EV (Extended Validation) Certificate have a green lock icon and include the name of the site owner.
Additional next steps for improving security UI include:
- A streamlined and more easily readable identity panel
- Exposing more information about your relationship with the site e.g. how many times have you been there
- Notifying you if you are submitting sensitive data over unencrypted connections
- Notifying you if you are submitting data to a site for the first time