Please note some of the information provided in this report may be subject to change as we are sometimes sharing information about projects that are still in early stages and are not final yet.
Are you a locale leader and want us to include new members in our upcoming reports? Contact us!
New content and projects
What’s new or coming up in Firefox desktop
While the last months have been pretty quiet in terms of new content for Firefox, we’re approaching a new major release for 2022, and that will include new features and dedicated onboarding.
Part of the content has already started landing in the last days, expect more in the coming weeks. In the meantime, make sure to check out the feature name guidelines for Firefox View and Colorways.
In terms of upcoming deadlines: Firefox 104 is currently in Beta and it will be possible to update translations up to August 14.
What’s new or coming up in mobile
Mobile releases now align more closely to desktop release schedules, so you may notice that target dates for these projects are the same in Pontoon. As with desktop, things are quiet now for mobile, but we’ll be seeing more strings landing in the coming weeks for the next major release.
What’s new or coming up in web projects
Firefox Relay website & add-on
We’re expanding Firefox Relay Premium into new locales across Europe: Austria, Belgium, Cyprus, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, and Switzerland. In order to deliver a truly great experience to our users in these new locales, we would like to make sure that users can utilize our products in the language they feel most comfortable with. Having these languages localized will take already complex topics like privacy and security and help connect more with users and offer them greater protections.
If you don’t see the product offered in the language in the markets above, maybe you can help by requesting to localize the product. Thank you for helping spread the word.
What’s new or coming up in Pontoon
- When 100% TM match is available, it now automatically appears in the editor if the string doesn’t have any translations yet.
- Before new users make their first contribution to a locale, they are now provided with guidelines. And when they submit their first suggestion, team managers get notified.
- The Contributors page on the Team dashboard has been reorganized. Contributors are grouped by their role within the team, which makes it easier to identify and reach out to team managers.
- We have introduced a new list parameter in translate view URLs, which allows for presenting a selected list of strings in the sidebar.
- Deadlines have been renamed to Target Dates.
- Thanks to Eemeli for making a bunch of under-the-hood improvements, which make our codebase much easier to build on.
Want to showcase an event coming up that your community is participating in? Contact us and we’ll include it.
Friends of the Lion
Know someone in your l10n community who’s been doing a great job and should appear here? Contact us and we’ll make sure they get a shout-out!
- #l10n-community channel on Element (chat.mozilla.org)
- Localization category on Discourse
- L10n blog
Questions? Want to get involved?
If you want to get involved, or have any question about l10n, reach out to:
- Bryan – l10n Project Manager
- Delphine – l10n Project Manager for mobile
- Peiying (CocoMo) – l10n Project Manager for mozilla.org, marketing, and legal
- Francesco Lodolo (flod) – l10n Project Manager for desktop
- Théo Chevalier – l10n Project Manager for Mozilla Foundation
- Matjaž (mathjazz) – Pontoon dev
- Eemeli – Pontoon, Fluent dev
Did you enjoy reading this report? Let us know how we can improve it.
No responses yet
Post a comment