- Who’s taking minutes? -> Ratty
- Nominees for Friends of the Fish Tank:
- Mcsmurf nominates “Everyone involved in fixing the build problems”.
(who needs to do what that hasn’t been recorded in a bug) We should assign people to the open items.
- Ratty filed bug 803168 [Meta] Port Installer Changes from Firefox as at 2012/10. Hopes people will help with some of the referenced bugs.
Status of the SeaMonkey Buildbot Master and Tree
- All our machines are now at SCL3 or SCL1.
- The R4 Macs are plugged-in, connected and base-imaged. Waiting on Callek to complete the setup (also see below in the clang section, sea-mini-osx64-1..4).
- The remaining machines on Parallels are the buildmaster (cb-seamonkey-linuxmaster-01) and Linux64 (cb-seamonkey-linux64-01). These need to be migrated to ESX. Specifically:
- sea-vm-linux64-1 will most likely replace cb-seamonkey-linux64-01.
- sea-master1 will replace the current buildmaster.
- bug 740633 set up seamonkey HPs in scl3. Hardware installed and iLO configured. CentOS 6.3 installed. sea-puppet is online. Callek to set the host up as a puppet master.
- Linux builds have been failing because the GTK version installed on the tinderboxen was too old. See bug 795354 on updating the GTK version on the tinderboxen. bug 794285 has lowered the GTK version requirement back to 2.10 for now (with a source compat layer for building with GTK 2.10)
- Linux 64bit builds are failing (bug 798921) since mozilla-central bug 797671 landed.
- This is due to us having an older binutils package on the machine 22.214.171.124.6-2.
- “SSE4 support in gas and objdump” was added to binutils in 126.96.36.199.6-4.
- This is enabled by default on x86_64 and based off another check for x86, which explains why linux32 is OK.
- We plan to get Linux 64bit building again (at the cost of some perf) by defining YUV_DISABLE_ASM.
- Build SeaMonkey using clang bug 775539. In progress.
- bug 776426 Set up ccache on all MacOSX systems. CCACHE is installed on the MacOSX systems. Buildbot config changes to enable ccache usage have been checked in. Currently waiting to see if this fix sticks.
- bug 791442 Mac trunk build with clang and XCode 4.1 failing. Callek is investigating. Current solution will be to install Mac OS X 10.7 (already done) and all required software on the sea-mini-osx64-1..4 and do buildbot magic to only build on the new macs and test on our “old” ones. There is no solution yet for the machines cb-sea-miniosx64-01..3. Update: clang seems to work now with the 10.7 buildbox.
- bug 806609 ipc_channel_posix.cc fails to compile on SeaMonkey OS X debug buildslave. somewhere in the build process some flags get lost. Mcsmurf will investigate.
- The latest build issue on the new OS X Lion builders is probably bug 805091. Mcsmurf filed bug 806317 to port PATH buildbot config changes.
- Localized SeaMonkey central & aurora Linux & Mac builds busted. A fix is in progress in bug 799626.
It’s been busy two weeks again with 3 releases including a second chemspill.
- 2.14b1 shipped October 22
- 2.14b2 shipped October 26
- 2.13.2 shipped October 27
Extensions Compatibility Tracking
- See Basics page. Please only list current changes here.
- Addon Compatibility Listings
- Extensions are now compatible by default thus mitigating the issue. Although some people still disable c-b-d and run into issues.
- AMO bug 666303 has been fixed (Seamonkey 2.1 and newer are detected as Firefox 2.1 and newer on the Add-on Site).
- Nothing to highlight.
- Our build team (Serge, Callek, ewong) needs to automate DOMI branch selection rather than having to tweak the client.py every 6 weeks. bug 763506
- sgautherie thinks that the current DOMi branches/tags are not suitable for automatic SeaMonkey branch selection.
- Need some traction on this. IanN spoke to Serge at MozCampEU. Serge is waiting for Callek/ewong to agree what needs to happen and to say what is workable or not.
- In the past Serge often pushed this forward for us. But with Serge on a sabbatical, Ewong thinks he should talk to Callek in getting this automated.
- Meanwhile Invisible Smiley will check where we need bumps this time.
2.x (Last, Current, Next)
- 2.13 had ~76,700 ADU by last Tuesday and 2.13.1 ~72,600 downloads so far.
- Of the released versions, as of last Tuesday, we have 10.4% on 2.0, 3.0% on 2.1-2.3, 3.8% on 2.4-2.6, 6.1% on 2.7-2.9, 2.0% on 2.10, 5.4% on 2.11, 14.1% on 2.12 and 55.2% on 2.13. So, in the last two weeks, ~1.7k (an additional 1.2% of ADU) have migrated to 2.7 or above.
- Some people cannot upgrade due to system requirements (OS version, processor capabilities etc.). This even more applies to 2.10 which dropped support for Win2k and WinXP without SP2.
- We now have a webpage for latest builds available for “Legacy Platforms” like PPC (bug 759315) but hikerbiker suggests making the Legacy/PPC link more discoverable (Mozillazine post). IanN agrees that the current link is not easily found. InvisibleSmiley said that he didn’t want it to be too obvious or highlighted. IanN thinks splitting and renaming Old to Previous isn’t a bad idea and moving Unofficial Releases after it. Perhaps merging Contributed builds into it.
- This is now bug 788543 SeaMonkey – PPC Legacy links are not easy to find.
- The point is that the new page lists external projects, i.e. projects we have no control over and where we cannot estimate the level of quality, provide no support etc. InvisibleSmiley really dislikes the idea of exposing any of that more than necessarily. So, if someone puts up a viable suggestion on the corresponding bug and people (read: seamonkey-members) agree that’s what should be done, Jens will do it, otherwise not.
- See Basics page for the usual reminders.
- We’ve had another chemspill (2.13.2). We took the opportunity to backport bug 801615 (Edited contacts can’t be saved if address book has lists) and bug 803843 (IMAP mailfiles keep growing to gigabyte size) to 2.13.2.
- We’ve been holding back AUS updates for 2.13.2 while waiting for Norton to whitelist this release? IanN thinks we cannot wait for Norton indefinitely and should activate them now. According to Ewong, once Callek resolves the issue either later today or tomorrow he’ll do the pushsnip.
- One tracked 2.5 issue still open.
- 2.1 through 2.7 have NOT included the ka (Kartvelian aka Georgian) locale. The last release with ka locale shipped was 2.0.14. The ka l10n maintainer has made some recent updates but;
- Callek thinks we should remove ka, unless we can get commitment from the ka person to actually update things himself instead of dumping tarballs on us and expecting us to check it in for him. Tracked in bug 667147.
- SeaMonkey 2.13 Release Notes
- Fixes in 2.13.2
- Mozilla-central bugs that affect us:
- Note: Please file bugs if you notice any landing on mozilla-central that might break us. Please don’t depend on Ratty noticing such landings.
- bug 769764 move proxy resolution to separate thread and remove sync api. Tracked in:
- MailNews bug 791645 Rewrite calls to synchronous nsIProtocolProxyService::DeprecatedBlockingResolve with Async code before DeprecatedBlockingResolve disappears as well.
- bug 789546 Convert all JS users of imgICache service to use privacy-aware imgITools API instead. Tracked in:
- bug 792700 Convert all JS users of imgICache service to use privacy-aware imgITools API instead (SeaMonkey part) [FIXED] needs approval for comm-aurora.
- bug 695399 Remove calls to nsICacheSession::openCacheEntry on the main thread; and bug 737615 Remove use of synchronous cache API from unit tests. Tracked in:
- bug 792735 Remove synchronous calls to nsICacheSession::openCacheEntry in SeaMonkey [FIXED].
- bug 779473 (nsresult-enum-class) Make nsresult an enum class. Tracked in:
- MailNews bug 801383 Build is failing in comm-central MailNews code since m-c Bug 779473 [FIXED].
- bug 793634 Force builds to be compatible with gtk 2.18/glib 2.22. Tracked in:
- bug 795144 default –disable-gnomeui icon theme support
- porting bug needed for the two configure.in changesets?
- bug 797671 Update webrtc.org code from stable branch 3.12. Tracked in:
- bug 798921 Assembly errors compiling SeaMonkey for Linux-x86_64: No such instruction: pmulld %xmm6, %xmm0 (webrtc) [IN PROGRESS].
- Several Services/Sync changes landed on 2012-10-22
- bug 804335 Port 2012-10-22 Sync changes from mozilla-central [FIXED].
- bug 800614 Require Python 2.6 to build the tree
- bug 803808 Update Python on SeaMonkey buildslaves [IN PROGRESS].
Feature List, Planning
Bug statistics for the last two (full) weeks: 51 new, 16 fixed, 20 triaged.
- Rather low triaging effort.
- See Feature List page for major wanted/needed features.
- Out of sight out of mind. The trouble with shuffling this off to another page makes these issues less discoverable. Ratty suggests featuring one or more bugs from that page at each meeting.
Good First Bugs
- Note: The GFB list is open to all including our regular contributors.
- Ratty is working on an updated GFB list, suggestions welcome.
- Currently there are 30 GFBs open, 3 are being actively worked on. One is delayed, and one was abandoned.
- List of Open mentored bugs.
- Ratty notes that there are 24 bugs that are GFBs but without the mentor keyword. These need to be audited to see if they are really suitable as GFBs.
- In the last two weeks since the previous meeting:
- Newcomer Amod is stalled on bug 752331 (Busy with exams).
- Mentors of stalled bugs should try to communicate with the assignees and if they can’t work on them any more to unassign/free up those bugs.
Roundtable – Personal Status Updates
Status Updates from developers – what are you working on, what’s the progress, any other comments? (feel free to add yourself to the list if your name is missing and you have interesting status).
- bug 798509 Align VMDKs in community servers.
- bug 801782 Align VMDKs in ausstage1.community.scl3.
- bug 803056 Add SeaMonkey 2.14 Beta 1 to bouncer.
- bug 804871 Add SeaMonkey 2.14 Beta 2 to bouncer.
- bug 805715 Add SeaMonkey 2.13.2 to bouncer.
- bug 740633 set up seamonkey HPs in scl3 (:dustin and Callek).
- bug 799626 Localized SeaMonkey central & aurora Linux & Mac builds busted.
- bug 798921 Assembly errors compiling SeaMonkey for Linux-x86_64: No such instruction: pmulld %xmm6, %xmm0 (webrtc).
- Did some reviews and approvals.
- Engaged in release engineering and SeaMonkey driver discussions.
- bug 783600 – Sanitize the No Proxies Preference more (network.proxy.no_proxies_on).
- bug 793582 – Cannot open Image Manger via Tools->Image Manager->Manage Image Permissions (regression)
- bug 797410 – Use Components.results instead of hardcoding nsresult values.
- bug 798685 – Port |Bug 794602 – nsWebBrowserPersist::SaveURIInternal creates a channel out of thin air| to SeaMonkey
- bug 633937 – Port bug 562048 to suite.
- bug 739056 – Port |Bug 715099 – Convert nsProfileMigrator to JS so we can use JS modules on migration| to SeaMonkey
- bug 760942 – install python ‘ssl’ module on SeaMonkey Windows machines
- bug 774991 – stop support OSX 10.5 in SeaMonkey
- bug 785675 – Port |Bug 748490 – Provide common location for testing modules| to fix multiple perma-oranges.
- bug 791238 – Clean up Output() function in nsSuiteApp.cpp on Windows (Use MultiByteToWideChar instead of NS_ConvertUTF8toUTF16)
- bug 801427 – Clean up old versions of SeaMonkey from ftp
- bug 803808 – Update Python on SeaMonkey buildslaves
- Working On:
- Usual testing, reviewing and commenting.
- bug 805753 Gtk 2.10 compat layer misses gtk_widget_set_has_window
- bug 802348 Port |bug 795662 – Update libpng to version 1.5.13| to comm-central
- bug 802365 Sync NSS and NSPR versions in configure.in between comm-central and mozilla-central
- bug 802375 Port |bug 697064 – Remove MOZ_CHECK_HEADERS(mmintrin.h) from configure.in| to comm-central
- bug 803856 Port using -mstackrealign to comm-central
- bug 803862 Port |bug 722933 – add -MACHINE option for link.exe| to comm-central
- bug 803855 Port __stdcall and ssize_t configure.in changes to comm-central
- bug 803914 Port |bug 791305 Use libjpeg’s color conversion code instead of our own| to comm-central
- bug 802334 Port |bug 799391 – Remove libiw check| to comm-central
- bug 802343 Port |bug 557000 – Correctly set GCC_VERSION on mingw| and |bug 797793 – Disable format warnings on mingw| to comm-central
- bug 803834 Port Python version / virtual environment changes to comm-central
- Waiting for review:
- bug 803834 Port Python version changes to comm-central
- bug 802352 Port |bug 797049 – Disable C4351 as an MSVC warning about a change to be standards-compliant in MSVC2005 (!). Also sync up warning-disabling between configure.in and js/src/configure.in, and add comments about the warnings being disabled| to comm-central
- Checked in pending review:
- bug 774906 Update en-GB for Gecko 16
- bug 777172 Update en-GB for Firefox 16
- bug 778446 Fix late changes to Gecko 15
- bug 778450 Update en-GB for Thunderbird 16
- bug 778485 Update en-GB for SeaMonkey 2.13
- bug 778486 Update en-GB for Calendar/Lightning 1.8
- bug 789683 Update en-GB for Gecko 17
- bug 789684 Update en-GB for Firefox 17
- bug 789686 Update en-GB for Thunderbird 17
- bug 791834 Update en-GB for SeaMonkey 2.14
- bug 791835 Update en-GB for Calendar/Lightning 1.9
- bug 799414 Fix late changes to Gecko 17
- Fixing review comments before checkin:
- Reviewed and waiting for other patches before checkin:
- Reviewed and waiting for feedback from mobile peer:
- bug 689253 Add en-GB locale to Firefox for Android
- Working on:
- Various SM Council documents.
- bug 606683 Allow customization of toolbar in Composer and MailNews Composition
- bug 639690 [META] Re-arrange code between editor and editorOverlay
- bug 773979 [META] Switch to new drag and drop api in SeaMonkey
- bug 657234 Move pasteQuote and pasteNoFormatting into contentAreaContextOverlay
- bug 778534 Use image instead of html:img in instant messaging
- File/Folder selection in windows.
- To Do:
- bug 639395 Get cmd_fontSize to reflect current state of selected content / content at caret.
- Create FAQ for Friends of the Fish Tank.
- Help get composer standalone builds working with –enable-tests.
- Fixed two security bugs
- Found two regressions, turned out to be Tech Evanglism issues:
- Worked on bug 773761 Port |Bug 760625 – Use the blocklist to inform click-to-play plugins|
- Filed bug 803808 Update Python on SeaMonkey buildslaves
- Filed bug 805753 Gtk 2.10 compat layer misses gtk_widget_set_has_window (build issue on Linux buildboxen)
- Filed bug and created patch: bug 806136 Fix code logic bug in addClickToPlayCallback method (notification.xml)
- Fixed bug 806205 browser_bug435325.js test fails
- Fixed bug 806317 Port PATH buildbot config change to fix Lion OS X builds (build issue on Mac buildboxen)
Progressing slowly on bug 127399 Allow sending emails with IDN based email addresses.
- bug 736661 outgoing server (SMTP) cannot be highlighted even though selected.
- bug 792735 Remove synchronous calls to nsICacheSession::openCacheEntry in SeaMonkey.
- bug 802820 Restore charset title fallback.
- bug 803038 Can’t view source of files with attachment disposition.
- bug 803661 Can’t save from the view source window.
- bug 803847 Block script from seeing clicks on the plugin placeholders.
- bug 804657 Remove UI for HTTP Networking, Enable Keep-Alive, N/A Since bug 770331.
- bug 805266 Avoid extra make pass in mime/public.
- Needs approval for Aurora and Beta.
- Needs approval for Aurora and Beta.
Waiting for review:
- bug 797988 [classic] No focus rect on header field buttons in message compose.
- bug 664695 Improve signature of nsIConsoleService::GetMessageArray.
- bug 792700 Convert all JS users of imgICache service to use privacy-aware imgITools API instead (SeaMonkey part).
- waiting for comm-aurora approval.
- bug 803172 Package SiteSpecificUserAgent (Portbug 800157).
- bug 803585 Default client checking should be done from nsSuiteGlue, not in navigator->Startup().
- bug 803781 Disable tearing and Add LSApplicationCategoryType to the Info.plist so that SeaMonkey shows up under Productivity when sorting applications by Application Category in Finder.
- bug 804639 Package breakpadinjector.dll and configure.in changes frombug 769048.
- bug 805805 Package Dom Permission Settings frombug 770731 (Expose JS API for modifying app permissions).
- Good first Bugs: See the Good First Bugs section above.
- Tracking mozilla-central bugs that affect SeaMonkey.
- Bug triage and Bug discussions.
- End user support and PR in newsgroups and Mozillazine.
Working on bug 806236 Update info.plist (register svg files and playable media types, clean up icons).
- When not triageing bugs or doing non-Mozilla activities I’ve been busy with the results of the Equinox Bug Event. The easy parts (designing Bugzilla reports) are long done, the most time-consuming part (the analytic table of all bugs concerned, their state after the Event, and who did it) is about 50% complete (all bugs < 500000 have been tallied, plus three > 700000). Sorting the table by Product :: Component shows an obvious clustering of the actors.
Any other business?
- Bug Day:
- Test failures
- qawanted, especially on Linux and MacOSX specific issues: reproducing and reporting would already help.
- Serge says that on Linux and MacOSX, he just needs someone to actually run the tests and report what they see (screen, console, etc). For example, there is a Mac test about Ctrl+W not working. This should be so trivial.
- Tonymec suggests that any enthusiastic user, even non-technical, should be able to do some testing (litmus?) and not be scared by technical language and such.
- IanN suggests reaching out to the user community using the newsgroups and forums.
- Ratty to liaise with Serge when he gets back on doing a write up how the community can help us with this.
SeaMonkey Meeting Details