Meeting Notes

29-September-2009

Thunderbird Meeting Minutes: 2009-09-29

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — bsmedberg @ 11:00 pm

Thunderbird/StatusMeetings/2009-09-29

From MozillaWiki

last meeting | index | next meeting »

Thunderbird Meeting Details :


Agenda


Action Items


New


Open

  • We should engage the beta testing community in helping with the what’s new and release notes pages, especially explaining why we’ve changed things, and how to get back to the old behavior. jenzed suggested an MDC page. (jz: see https://developer.mozilla.org/en/Thunderbird_3_for_users)

  • Planning for a dry-run security firedrill build
  • At 2:30 PDT tomorrow, there will be a Thunderbird security review, dmose will send out the details today


Closed


Thunderbird 3

  • Schedule (proposed, may change):

    • Final l10n String Freeze: Tuesday 29th Sept 23:59 PST

    • Aiming to start RC1 builds on: 3rd Nov.
    • Subsequent RCs as necessary.
  • Please set bugs to assigned status (as well as owner to you) if you want to do them.

  • If you have other bugs assigned to you that you don’t want to do, please reassign or discuss with drivers.
  • If you see what look like theme/css issues, especially on Windows, please file a bug, with a screenshot, and the version of Windows you’re running. Tag it with a “polish” keyword, and nominate it for blocking-tb3?.


QA Updates

3.0b4 topcrashers top 6. Note, all are *new* but 1.

  • mime – bug 505221 – crash [@ CountTotalMimeAttachments(MimeContainer*)]

    • Got a profile from the user that can be used to reproduce this
  • database – bug 513315 – crash [@ nsScriptSecurityManager::GetCurrentJSContext()]
  • backend – bug 480090 – Crash when sending email after being in offline mode [@ morkRowObject::CloseRowObject(morkEnv*)] – [@ nsMsgOfflineImapOperation::SetCopiesToDB - nsMsgOfflineImapOperation::Release]
  • mime – bug 513543 – Crash [@MimeInlineTextHTML_parse_eof ]
  • database – bug 518671 – crash [@ nsXPConnect::GetRuntimeInstance()]
  • unknown – bug 518807 – startup crash [@ nsRefPtr<ISearchManager>::StartAssignment()]

last week:

  • Tried having simple thing to get more people onboard – Got one user who participated.

  • Catching up on new crashers due to b4 being released – and monitoring closely
  • Didn’t catchup on litmus yet
  • Activity in bugzilla seems to be going up

This week :

  • Normal regular bug day

  • Working on migration Day

Next week :

  • Migration day testing

    • Migrate from 1.5

    • Migrate from 2.0.x

And we’ll gather the data that can be gathered and get return of experience on it.


Marketing Updates

  • Press Watch: 43 total articles for Beta 4 Latest Thunderbird rolls search changes 40k downloads to date

  • Coordinating with German and French pr firms.
  • Reviewer’s Guide on target for 9/30, working through marketing messaging w/ board members.
  • Localization Checklist Working with Simon on announcement to l10n teams via blog post.
  • Reviewing new SpreadThunderbird theme mockups w/ stb team. Thanks to Roland for finding the volunteer to help out.


IT update

  • Thunderbird 3 Beta 4 Uptake

    • Beta 4 visits: 51k, Beta 3 max visits: 23k

    • Beta 4 AUS pings: 18k vs Beta 3 max AUS pings: 21k
  • Minis are building in the ThunderbirdTest tree, looking promising


Documentation

  • compact header (bug 480623)

  • form fill (bug 510378)
  • debugging Mac / Linux
  • autoconfig / mission control (MDC: [1])
  • collapsed threads (bug 496244 454829)
  • activity manager (bug 257942)
  • folders (bug 414038)
  • move leak and bloat test docs from wiki to MDC


Support

  1. Top 5 GS Support Topics (code in progress: http://gist.github.com/190923 )

    1. Cannot receive email (hotmail, other POP, imap)

    2. Cannot send email
    3. Cannot read old email (compact folders seems to fix it, sometimes have to create new profile and migrate old email into new profile)
    4. Cannot migrate email from old profile to new profile or old computer to new computer
    5. Address Book (not visible, can’t undelete, lost, possibly related to these bugs found by Standard8: 486498, 299346, 394797 )
    6. Attachments (attachments not working, corrupted)
  2. Support Plan for Thunderbird 3
    1. SUMO evaluation basically finished – have verified you can do localized knowledge base (i.e. create/modify in English, translate/modify in French) and can customize to remove Firefox-isms, will add link to report today (David Tenser needs report for MozCamp Europe)

    2. Top 10 Support Issues and Top 5 New Thunderbird 3 Features for Knowledge Base
  3. Key Support stats from the following graphic:
    1. approximately 15 / day (104/7)

    2. total new topics:104 total replies: 120 (Ruby Code)
      1. date:20090922 #new support topics:15 resolved:7

      2. date:20090923 #new support topics:19 resolved:10
      3. date:20090924 #new support topics:12 resolved:6
      4. date:20090925 #new support topics:18 resolved:13
      5. date:20090926 #new support topics:9 resolved:1
      6. date:20090927 #new support topics:4 resolved:5
      7. date:20090928 #new support topics:10 resolved:8
    3. #replies from non MoMo folks: 2 from Lightning folks (thanks Martin and Philip!) 4 from TMZ MoMo folks: 82 from Roland, 5 from Mark Banner
    4. happiness metric: API doesn’t have happiness emotitags, asked GS staff about that, code in progress: http://gist.github.com/190094, manual happiness metric = 107 – 82 = 25


Roundtable


Status Updates


sid0
  • Landed part of bug 515218. Working on the other part right now.


davida


dmose
  • driving

  • reviews
  • message header toolbar customization work bug 465138


Standard8
  • Reviews & Driving

  • Held b4 post-mortem.
  • bug 519041 Implemented context menu for context tabs (shared with message context menu).
  • Added about:license to the list of about dialog items – remaining part of bug 480533.
  • bug 505558 Improved about dialog buttons so locales aren’t struggling for horizontal width.
  • bug 518175 Stop stripping mac nightlies.


asuth


bienvenu
  • Reviews and Driving

  • Added autosync pr logging bug 518768
  • Fixed empty new mail alert, bug 459045
  • Make imap offline sync pay attention to db’s getting closed, should fix crash in morkRowObject::CloseRowObject bug 480090
  • Handle case of duplicate special folders in an account, with smart folder mode, bug 516923
  • Cleanup some of our shutdown w/ cleanup on exit handling to try to help with hangs on exit, bug 494014
  • Relax size comparison on offline store messages because we seem to be off by one with gmail messages, stops autosync from stalling/repeatedly downloading messages bug 517466
  • Use server’s identity for archive folder, if found, otherwise use hdr/x-mozilla-account key to determine identity, bug 511780
  • Several other fixes awaiting reviews.


gozer
  • Build

    • Mac Minis imaged and running

    • Better staging buildbot
    • buildbot/buildbotcustom updates
    • Question: How does one sanely netboots+reimages minis 100% remotely/unattended ?
  • Web

    • ISPDB : Bugzilla component to the “Mozilla Messaging” product, file bugs!
  • Infrastructure

    • Nice traffic increase due to beta4

    • Some performance improvements to the start page
    • DNS server updates


clarkbw


wsmwk
  • topcrash and crash filing, researching, and tracking. see QA updates

    • created spreadsheet that may go public, but private for now. poke me if you want to see.
  • trying to find my sync/non-gloda-indexing issues
  • researched bugs for new meta bug 519202 incomplete/incorrect/inaccurate search or filter results … to focus on issues of bad search results [excepting of gloda]
  • triage
  • bug 442222 Thunderbird 3 credits
    • string changes completed

    • If you have any nominations, now is the time. No new nominations via credits webform so far.
  • granted bugz privs to 1


beckley


Penelope
  • Who column changes only blocker for next beta of Eudora 8/Penelope

  • Added a pref which controls whether the application quits when the user closes the main window
  • Working on a feature where selection change in the folder pane doesn’t update the mailbox displayed, but double-click (or Enter or some right-click context menu items) will open up the mailbox in a new tab/window
  • Fixed the shortcut problems that were happening on Mac
  • Lots of little bug fixes for the upcoming beta


KaiRo
  • Filed a few bugs on ISPDB

  • SeaMonkey 2.0 driving – progress is very good on that front


rkent

In the last week I completed a slew of bugs (that I can now checkin myself):

  • bug 515927 – Marking message as not spam doesn’t clear deleted flag from message

  • bug 517996 – Tools|Delete Mail Marked As Junk Folder not working in 20090921 nightly
  • bug 518667 – crash [@ nsImapMailFolder::UpdateFolderWithListener(nsIMsgWindow*, nsIUrlListener*)]
  • bug 505949 – Junk folder on Local Folders not created and possible data loss
  • bug 462578 – Implement Quick Search option “Subject, Sender or Recipient” (Subject, From, To, CC or BCC) to allow filtering for full conversations with a contact easily
  • bug 518188 – Body search term not available in Search Messages when “in” is an account
  • bug 518565 – crash [@nsMsgFilterList::LoadTextFilters(nsIInputStream*) ]
  • bug 518846 – search in searchbar should search by subject, from, to, cc, bcc

I have a couple of bugs in for review, neither of which are critical for TB3/SM2. Otherwise, although I watch the bug reports and user comments for issues in my areas, I am mostly focused on my extensions, which are way, way behind the backend features that have been implemented.


rebron


Tsk
  • Finishing touches to 3.0b4

  • usual bizness

This week :

  • Preparing Eu moz camp 2009 talk

  • Preparing Migration Day for next week
  • usual bizness


andreasn


bwinton

Last week:

This week:

  • Continue to help students with ISPDB.

  • More work on bug 515371, and the rest of my blockers.
  • General autoconfig error-handling cleanup.


roland

Last week:

  • coordination work with potential new Spread Thunderbird theme and designer, Hubert Florin of agentic.ca

This week

  • perhaps get working Spread Thunderbird theme to test from Hubert Florin

  • get material to David Tenser for MozCamp Europe support presentation
  • look at possibly getting campus students to help out with support


nth10sd


Attendees

bwinton, gozer, davida, rebron, standard8, dmose, bienvenu, KaiRo, jenzed, roland, Tsk, clarkbw

Mozilla Platform Meeting Minutes: 2009-09-29

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — bsmedberg @ 11:00 pm

Platform/2009-09-29

From MozillaWiki

« previous week | index | next week »


Notices / Schedule

Firefox 3.0.15 / Firefox 3.5.4

Firefox 3.6b1

  • now string frozen

  • 37 P1 blockers, 1 unprioritized blocker
  • needed before b1 cutoff:
    • lightweight themes (done)

    • about:support (done)
    • js c types (done)
    • plugin update referrals (pending)


Blocker Report

See more Firefox 3.6 related blocker queries, or learn about the new status and blocker flags


Browser / Front End

(Progress reports every weekend on Planet Firefox)

  • see our active projects and get involved / propose others

  • Namoroka/mozilla-1.9.2 front end development:
    • about:support landed on branch and trunk

    • personas landed on branch and trunk (getpersonas.com will work starting tomorrow)
    • work to reduce Places overhead is underway and looks like it will land in 1.9.2
    • shipped a version of the WinCE build to NVIDIA for inclusion in their reference image
  • Firefox 3.6 b1 blockers:


GFX Update


Layout Update

  • 9 P1 blockers: all with patches

  • Caret positioning issues
  • liboggplay update landed!
  • Found a cause of random video-related orange


Content Update

  • Shifting focus to top-crash fixing

    • Temporarily de-prioritizing XBL2 work

    • Temporarily de-prioritizing some performance work
  • Making good progress on off main thread HTML5 parsing (hsivonen)
  • Looking at adding DOM API for matching nodes against CSS selectors.


Platform-specific Support Update

  • (josh) 64-bit Mac OS X builds are running, stable with no major disabled functionality. Last two patches on are bugzilla and should be in the tree within a week.

  • (josh) Putting JEP back on the 1.9.2 branch for Java on Mac OS X.


JS

  • ES5 defineProperties in review

  • nanojit work continues
  • Improving performance of code that currently requires JS_Invoke (string.replace with lambda arg, for example)


Startup Performance

Highlights from the weekly update post, and work started this week:

  • John Dagget got a ~20% cold startup improvement and ~4% warm startup improvement on Mac in bug 517045 by tweaking font initialization. Jonathan Kew has a further improvement to font init in bug 519445, around 8% warm and 28% cold.

  • Ben is killing stat()s and system calls in bug 511761.
  • Taras has a patch up for service consolidation in bug 516085.
  • Drew is working on manifest file consolidation in bug 506392.
  • Ryan is determining if we can push back spellcheck dictionary init in bug 496217, for 70-100ms win.
  • Ryan also has review on bug 475289 for a 20ms win, should be landing soon.
  • Zack is working on CSS parser speedups in bug 513149.

Join us on IRC in #startup.


Security

  • nothing to report


Electrolysis

  • Windowed plugins working! Got various flash demos, the testplugin, and youtube working on Windows and Linux

    • parts of NPRuntime being finished up, leaks are hard (bent), need fixes for bug 518924 (cjones), bug 516509 (josh), release builds crashing on Windows (TBD).

    • Need to set up testing infrastructure for multiple processes. Who do I coordinate with? Alice?
  • Windowless plugins work on Linux due to some awesome quick hacks by cjones, but are painfully slow. Need the graphics buffering and async drawing from karlt/jeffm.


Tree Management

  • We’ve stopped running unittests as part of the old unittest build+test job (“U” on tbpl). Only running packaged tests now (“M”, “E”). These are also on the Firefox-Unittest / Firefox3.6-Unittest waterfalls. bug 507540
  • Now also running tests on debug builds, and optimized builds. These show up as other “M”, “E” boxes on tbpl, and have “debug” or “opt” in their name.
  • Testing of release builds Real Soon Now.
  • Soon mochitest test runs will be being split up according to which directory they’re in. These will be showing up as, e.g., “Linux mozilla-central test mochitests-1″ bug 487689


Roundtable

  • CrashKill meeting notes here. If there’s something you can help with there, great. Devs have been assigned to about the top 20 or so crashers there, and we hope to knock them out quickly.

28-September-2009

Places Meeting Minutes: 2009-09-28

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — bsmedberg @ 11:00 pm

Places/Status Meetings/2009-09-28

From MozillaWiki

« previous week | index | next week »

Places Team Meeting Details

  • Mondays at 9:00am Pacific

  • irc.mozilla.org #places


Work Priorities


QA Issues


Status updates

  • sdwilsh

    • bug 455555 – Use asynchronous queries for places autocomplete (working on blocking bugs)
  • mak

    • was on vacation most of last week

    • finalizing lying around patches
    • preparing stuff for expiration rewrite
  • ddahl


Documentation

  • MDC

    • the migration guide needs history api and dynamic container examples. (dietrich)

    • the design documents linked from MDC need to be written. can probably cull from the old design overview docs.
    • Documentation non-existent:
      • dynamic containers (MaK77)

        • will do as soon as they are working properly


Roundtable

  • https://wiki.mozilla.org/Places:Plan needs to be updated and get better to show our roadmap. (mak)

    • Doing right now, will take some hour to get all infos for the various small projects.
  • bug 489173 Issue with size of places.sqlite and Google Toolbar

    • Need to check if latest Google toolbar did fix the issue (and if eventually we need to push harder on having a vacuuming service)

Mozilla Project Meeting Minutes: 2009-09-28

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — bsmedberg @ 11:00 pm

WeeklyUpdates/2009-09-28

From MozillaWiki

« previous week | index | next week »


Friends of the Tree

Jane wrote in last Tuesday:
“Please can I nominate Mary Colvig for all her tremendous work on Mozilla Service Week this week (its only Tuesday and she’s already done so much!). She’s work tirelessly to get the project off its feet, brought incredible partners on board and encouraged our community on a global level to participate to do even more good in the world.
Also big shout outs to: Austin – “King of the Mozserve website”, Krupa & Stephen “Prince & Princess of QA” Donner.”

Ludovic wrote:
“The thunderbird QA team would like to nominate the following people to be friends of the tree, Christoph Grether, Jens Müller, and Thomas D., or the very good feedback, and bugs they reported against the new search feature of Thunderbird.”

Gozer wrote in:
“I wish to nominate Henry Nester for friend of the tree. He is our #1 thunderbird 3 tester by far and a key part of the push to Thunderbird 3, primo tester of .de locale build, an awesome spot check tester of localized builds, and also a great bug reporter.”


Development Updates


Firefox

( Projects | Status | Goals | People )

Firefox 3.6 (Namoroka)

  • The new Troubleshooting Information (about:support) page landed on trunk and branch (bug 367596)

  • Lightweight theme support has landed (aka: native Personas) through presently the gallery at getpersonas.com doesn’t recognize the native client support
  • we have 27 front end blockers to knock down, 7 of which to complete before beta
  • a beta schedule should be available by tomorrow’s development meeting

Firefox Future

  • ongoing theme development work for Firefox 3.7 and 4.0, discussions in dev-apps-firefox

  • targetting find-tab-in-awesomebar for Firefox 3.7

Team News

  • We reviewed the past quarter, and felt like we did well as a team despite not making as much progress on startup time as we’d hoped. Comments welcome!

  • Firefox’s team goals for Q4 have been set with a focus on ensuring a stable, high quality Firefox 3.6 product is shipped and looking towards the future with work on Firefox 3.7 and Electrolysis.


Gecko

  • Last week we proposed a set of goals for Q4. I’ve received some great feedback, and there will be changes.

  • We’re going to be changing/removing a few goals in order for us to focus on crashes on a massive scale. Friday evening, we formed a small team to kill top crashers. Over the next several weeks we plan to dramatically reduce those crashes.
  • Speaking of crashes, last week the CoolIris team released an update to their plug-in that triggered a spike in crashes in the plug-in, resulting in their plug-in being the top crasher in Firefox 3 and 3.5. They worked over the weekend, along with guys on our team who helped identify the issue, to back out the changes.
  • It’s spikes like the above that demonstrate the importance of completing out of process plug-ins. Last Friday, I saw a demo–and I hope we see a blog post/video demo soon–of flash running out of process in our browser, where killing the process running flash left the browser running fine. Maybe Ben Turner can share that with the world soon?  ;)
  • Blockers:
    • P1: 34

    • P2: 93
    • P3: 0
    • Other: 2
  • Team blocker numbers:


Branch work: Firefox 3.0.x / Firefox 3.5.x / Thunderbird 2.0.0.x


Thunderbird

  • Shipped 3.0b4

  • Hard at work on patches for the 3.0 string freeze, which is tomorrow (Tuesday, September 29, 23:59 Pacific)
  • Please help by testing nightly builds and providing constructive feedback and filing bugs!


SeaMonkey


Mobile


IT

Last Week


Release Engineering

  • turned off build-and-unittests

    • Now running unittests separately from builds.

    • Unittests still visible on tinderboxpushlog and tinderbox on *-Unittests
    • last step in separate unittests from builds
    • now have unittests for optimized and debug builds
    • easier to rerun tests on a given build; job on weekends to rerun tests ‘n’ times in a row.


QA

This was a big week for goals. Reviewed Q3 top level goals along with completed first draft of Q4 top level goals (to be posted soon).

Test Execution

Web Dev Testing

  • Completed final testing for SUMO 1.4 release last week!

  • Blogged about testing search in AMO 5.1 (and beyond)
  • Continuing to converted a manual AMO test cases to automated selenium test cases

Metrics, Accessibility, Localization, Community

  • Accessibility:

    • Published a blog post highlighting what’s happening in Mozilla-funded accessibility projects.

    • First alpha release of the Firebug Accessibility Extension is coming. This is an extension that helps test web sites for accessibility, WAI-ARIA and otherwise.
  • Community:
  • Metrics: Worked with Murali to automatically get dashboards for Web Test projects (or any project). It’s really cool. Example dashboard.

Test Development


Security


Marketing/PR

PR

Mozilla Service Week

  • Please share your “Stories” for our round up next week. Post on Mozillaservice.org or email mary @ mozilla dot com.

  • Total pledge hours: Over 13,000
  • Reported hours to-date: 7,177
    • Please submit your hours and get your certificate!

Events

  • OpenWebCamp Silicon Valley September 26, 2009, Stanford, CA – We sponsored this event and had a few MoCo employees in attendance at the event.

  • Scalable Vector Graphics Open 2009 October 2 – 4, 2009, Mountain View CA.  We are sponsoring this event – there will also be a few MoCo employees in attendance.
  • Jornadas Regionales de Software Libre en ChileOctober 7 – 9, 2009, Santiago, Chile – Sponsoring event and bringing together the Mozilla Hispanic Community. + 2 day MozCamp Prior. It’s almost here!  We have a schedule for MozCamp Chile and the schedule for JRSL.  At JRSL Seth and Chofman will both be keynoting in addition to 4 other MoCo talks throughout Wednesday – Friday.  Please check out the wiki to see all of the work that has gone into making these events a reality – https://wiki.mozilla.org/JRSL_Chile
  • Philippine Blog Awards October 9, 2009 in Luzon, Philippines – Sponsoring this even in order to continue to build the Philippiine community and Tagalog locale.
  • Free Software and Open Source Symposium (FSOSS) October 29 – 30, 2009 Toronto, Canada.  We are sponsoring this event.  We currently have representation from both Mozilla Foundation and Corporation speaking.
  • Add-on-Con December 2009, Mountain View, CA.  We are sponsoring this event and starting to build sessions aroudn the event theme.

Community

  • Next community marketing call is on Oct. 7th at 10 a.m. PDT/17:00 UTC

    • Dial-in Info: +1.650.903.0800, followed by 92# and then 7391#

    • Or you can use our toll-free number: +1.800.707.2533, followed by 369# and then 7391#. If you’re outside the US, use Skype to call in with our toll-free number.
    • You can also watch the meeting live in Open Video at air mozilla
    • For those that can’t make the call or want to participate online, join us in #marketing on IRC (irc.mozilla.org).

Mozilla.com


Support


Metrics

  • Why don’t users upgrade their browser?

    • You may remember our findings when we looked at why Fx2 users refused to upgrade to Fx3 (reason #1 was related to the Location/Awesome bar). With the 3.0.14 -> 3.5.3 Major Update offer going out this week, we’re going to run the same survey.


Evangelism

  • Mozilla Developer Center

    • Lots of progress on Firefox 3.6 documentation last week, lots more to come this week.

    • As always, don’t forget to add the dev-doc-needed keyword to bugs that may impact developer documentation. You don’t even have to wait until there’s a patch.
    • IT updated MDC to MindTouch 9.08.
      • See this blog post for more information.

      • A bug in 9.08 has broken the language selector pop-up menu; we’re pressing MindTouch for a fix.
    • A massive, seemingly botted, spam attack led us to disable new user account registration last week until we figure out how they’re bypassing the captcha. We’re working on this. See this blog post for details.
  • MozCampEU – Evangelism Europe will be there in spades. Looking for cool demos and WebGL stuff.


Labs


Developer Tools


Add-ons


Webdev

  • SUMO 1.4 – 49 fixed bugs – Launched last Thursday

  • Firefox for Mobile support site going into prod tomorrow
  • AMO 5.1 – 97 fixed bugs – Launches Tuesday (9/29)


L10n

  • Finalized our Q4 goals

  • L10n team will travel to MozEU in Prague, l10n track can be found here.
  • Firefox 3.6 beta 1 is still in string freeze, so please check in changes
  • Philippines brownbag this afternoon at 4 PM MV time


Foundation Updates

  • Bugzilla HTTP API deploying this week. Send any comments (and offers of testing) to Gerv.

  • Thanks to everyone who helped with the I Love the Web wave on OneWebDay. Great community participation and creativity. See slide show here.
  • Latest mockup for redesigned Getting Involved page has been posted. Comment on the blog post and let us know what you think.


Roundtable


Other Business

22-September-2009

SeaMonkey Meeting Minutes: 2009-09-22

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — bsmedberg @ 11:00 pm

SeaMonkey:StatusMeetings:2009-09-22

From MozillaWiki

« last meeting | index

SeaMonkey Meeting Details


Agenda

  • Who’s taking minutes? -> Ratty


Action Items

(who needs to do what that hasn’t been recorded in a bug) We should assign people to the open items.

NEW

  • Kairo to contact MoFo on doing a SeaMonkey 2.0 press release.

OPEN

  • Get permission from Google to use their geolocation JSON service [KaiRo]. Contact at Google says: “We don’t have a good estimate for when GLS will be opening up more broadly, but I will be sure to let you know when we take that step. Sorry that I can not be more specific at this time.” – We can only wait right now.

    • KaiRo emailed Google again this weekend, no reply yet.

CLOSED


SeaMonkey 2.0 Beta 2

  • SHIPPED on Sep 12!

    • 16 locales made it, including en-US we have 17 languages.

    • Compared to 2.0b1, nl is new, but cs didn’t make it.
    • http://www.seamonkey-project.org/releases/2.0b2#contrib has Fedora RPMs from ajschult and OS/2 builds. No other contributed builds including 64bit builds have come up so far.
    • Hendikins has just put up the x86_64 builds for linux on his site.
  • Feedback:
    • de had a broken string that breaks SMTP auth, fixed for nightlies.

    • Feedback is good, including the possibility of testing Lightning with it.
    • One or two users are having download problems. The issue seems to disappear if logged in as admin.
    • The usual web browser discrimination. FaceBook, Yahoo! Mail, Hotmail Live, ComCast, etc.
    • Feedback has been generally positive otherwise.


SeaMonkey 2.0 Final

open blockers (7)
blocker requests (2)
open wanted (30)
wanted requests (1)

  • Need to get blockers fixed, some are unowned as of now, need to get assigned.

  • Schedule:
    • Proposal: String freeze Oct 1, Code freeze Oct 6.

    • Spin first RC right after code freeze with locales that are ready.
    • Let locales continue to opt in until we feel OK with shipping a later RC as the actual final.
    • Thunderbird might be string freezing shortly earlier, code freezing possibly later, but going with a longer period to actual final.
    • Freeze on October 6th should allow at least a week of string freeze for final and allow us for some time of candidate testing, whether we push them as public RC releases or not.
    • The final string freeze for Thunderbird 3.0 is September 29 [...]. Thus, if Thunderbird checks in mailnews patches with string changes, that leaves people working on SM Help some 48 hours to get respective patches done, reviewed, and checked in to reflect such changes in the documentation. Sounds rather tight… [rsx11m via Mozillazine].
      • Help can have exceptions to the string freeze – we always have handled it that way. And nothing breaks if localizers are not 100% in sync with help docs.
  • Branch planning is up in the air, Thunderbird drivers seem to think branching very closely to releasing their final is good, KaiRo thinks branching should happen before spinning our first RC. No compromise reached as of now.


Feature List, Planning

Bug statistics for last two (full) weeks: 80 new, 47 fixed, 25 triaged.

  • Open bugs continue to slightly increase, triaging is down in favor of more bugfixes, many of the new bugs are filed by the team as followups to work being done.

  • The rate of fixed bugs continues to be high in the run up to 2.0.

Major wanted/needed features:


2.0

  • Toolbar customization aftermath [Ratty]

    • Still something to be done for 2.0?

    • bug 509209 Implement Customizable Toolbars in SeaMonkey Message Compose. Has r+/sr+. Patch waiting for checkin.
    • bug 481862 We still need small button icons for modern in MailNews. Needs someone who understands both css and svg/graphics. Misak plans to do the small buttons minor placement fixes on svg, Ratty – css.
    • Addressbook and HTML Composer toolbars. Push to 2.1.
  • bug 456757 Modern theme update [Ratty]
    • bug 465924 Modern Update: changes in global/. All necessary patches have landed. Except possibly for bug 490277 (Update video controls), the remaining dependent bugs are nice to have polish but not blocking anything (imho).
  • bug 348720 New icon set for “SeaMonkey Default Theme”
    • status/progress?

    • Really need something moving for 2.0 final!
    • A list of TODO icons is up in the bug
    • KaiRo has a patch up for task icons, help wanted for other icons!
  • bug 460953 kill-rdf port [sgautherie]
    • The kill-rdf work is basically at the state we’ll ship in 2.0; the rest will have to move to 2.1.
  • bug 508039 “Know Your Rights” [mcsmurf]
    • On track to make the string freeze.
  • bug 442167 “New add-on installed” notification [sgautherie]
    • Review issues need to be addressed. Should make 2.0.
  • bug 436794 Enable Mac OS X system address book per default and add UI.
    • SM UI needed, unowned, helpwanted.
  • bug 506724 bug 397236 bug 472873 Help updates (more in bug 423281)
    • helpwanted, anyone can help here!

We also should take a careful look at the other items on wanted-seamonkey2.0+

If there’s anything on that list you think we shouldn’t take for 2.0 any more, please notify KaiRo, so we can push them to 2.1.


2.1

  • bug 410613 OpenSearch. helpwanted.

    • We need to check if OpenSearch can support all our existing functionality, for example the INTEPRETS section in Sherlock search plugins. Mnyromyr will check on that, and on how extensible the Firefox code is.
  • bug 449728 drag tabs between windows
    • unowned so far.
  • bug 498596 places bookmarks
    • unowned so far.


Roundtable

Status Updates from developers – what are you working on, what’s the progress, any other comments? (feel free to add yourself to the list if your name is missing and you have interesting status).


ajschult


Aqualon


asrail


biesi


Callek


IanN

  • Usual testing, reviewing and commenting.

  • Bugs fixed:
    • bug 287806 Add TCP timeout pref.

    • bug 517722 Update SM Prefs Overlay with new IDs (Chatzilla).
    • bug 516189 mochitest-browser-chrome: “browser_bug471962.js | Timed out” (and leaks) since bug 188253 landing.
    • bug 385141 SeaMonkey lacks UI for browser.tabs.warnOnClose.
    • bug 436942 “Clear Location Bar” section in History pane should be removed.
    • bug 390158 Hook up new satchel pref(s) to the preferences window.
    • bug 188253 Save Page should supply web page descriptor / cache key when calling saveURI.
    • bug 515256 Message Filter Dialog menulist missing some icons.
    • bug 514854 Default theme issues with some menulists.
  • Working on:
    • bug 515227 Help button in Message Filter dialog lacks Help icon.

    • bug 515228 Help button in Search Addresses dialog lacks Help icon.
    • bug 515966 Message Filter Dialog menulist missing some icons.
    • bug 515967 Add icons to addressbook menulist in Search Addresses.
  • Testing and reporting issues on lightning integration with SM.
  • Working through approval/wanted requests for SM2.0.


InvisibleSmiley

Bugs Fixed:

  • bug 469481 Copy image doesn’t copy image (nor its location).

  • bug 474622 Hook up delete key to deleting entries in new download manager.
  • bug 509338 Shortcut Ctrl+K missing.

Working On:

  • bug 509404 Restore Previous Session missing

  • bug 512148 Port Bug 88541 – Show URI in status bar onmouseover of Back/Forward menu items.
  • bug 512507 Port Bug 484329 – Upgrading to 3.0 causes “archives” folder disappears.
  • bug 513456 Double click and Del do not trigger Edit/Delete in Customize Message Views window.
  • bug 515081 Make Ctrl+F shortcut focus search field and Ctrl+Shift+F invoke Search Addresses.


KaiRo

  • Released 2.0b2 on Sep 12.

  • Discussed future of SeaMonkey build machines after Parallels experiment failed.
  • Turned off Mac OS X 10.4 test machines due to ongoing problems.
  • Fixed nasty typo in de L10n that broke SMTP auth in 2.0b2.
  • 2.0 release driving.
  • Some investigation and discussion on getting Lighting to integrate better.
  • New task icons for default theme icon set.
  • Website updates for geolocation and privacy policy.
  • Reported SeaMonkey status in Mozilla’s project-wide weekly meeting on Monday.
  • As always, my blog has more detailed status about my work.


mcsmurf

Working on:

  • bug 508039 Port |bug 456439 – add about:rights and a “Know Your Rights” infobar to Firefox| to SeaMonkey.

Stalled?:

  • bug 471346 Port GetDefaultFeedReader to SeaMonkey shell service.

  • bug 444913 Port |Bug 413781 – XBLify folder-selection menus| to SeaMonkey.
  • bug 255503 tabbedbrowser progresslistener list grows forever instead of resizing when removeProgressListener is called.


Misak

Bugs Fixed:

  • bug 509315 NS_ERROR_MALFORMED_URI on session restore (in nsSessionStore.js).

  • bug 511635 Port Bug 455070 [Make sessionStorage object conform the WHATWG spec] to SeaMonkey.
  • bug 511823 Port Bug 494543 [Can't add items to Dell.com shopping cart] to SeaMonkey.
  • bug 514388 No quit dialog when multiple windows are open.
  • bug 517139 Port Bug 497730 [Restore session from crash while loading multiple tabs opens multiple about:blanks] to SeaMonkey.

Working on:

  • bug 515006 Port Bug 354894 [Session restore doesn't work if process hasn't exited (Downloads window open)] to SeaMonkey.

    • bug 516330 Save tabs on quit dialog doesn’t save preferences.
  • some other bugs in progress


Morac
  • bug 479448 Closed tabs need to be deleted when browser history is cleared.


Mnyromyr

Bugs fixed:

  • bug 514876 Navigating from standalone message window fails to mark messages as read.

  • [lightning] bug 515399 Cannot add attendees to event invitation [Error "input is null" in calendar-event-dialog-attendees.xml].

Working on:

  • bug 517554 [smtabmail] Messages opened from Non-All view in tab not shown.

To Do:

  • Venkman startup perf stuff is on top of my agenda (given no (tab)mailnews top blockers appear).


MReimer


Neil

Bugs fixed:

  • bug 405172 Email Compose window does not close itself after Account Wizard Cancel/Exit.

  • bug 452056 browser hangs up forever on restart if seperator in bookmak manager contains double quote characters.
  • bug 465504 Include an identity indicator in primary chrome (EV certificate UI). URL bar, Modern theming.
  • bug 485213 Link selected by typeahead is not the link that is followed.
  • bug 491673 nsSeamonkeyProfileMigrator.cpp: re-enable/fix ‘wallet.captureForms’ handling.
  • bug 501195 SM 2 trunk has quit honoring startup “mail and news” pref.
  • [toolkit] bug 509242 Either document and enforce a maximum width for theme preview images, or don’t horizontally compress them.
  • bug 513275 New bookmark folders show “(Empty)” item until SeaMonkey restarted, take 2.
  • bug 514416 Context menu displays incorrectly after resizing address toolbar.
  • bug 514883 Groupbox custom caption content has bold font.
  • bug 516398 No Lightning pref UI in SeaMonkey.
  • bug 516708 The meaning of font-size: smaller; has changed.
  • bug 517307 Some tabs opened in background from middle clicks still focus the browser.

Working on:

  • bug 431184 Composer badly handles XHTML documents.

  • bug 461117 Implement new keyboard shortcut for Paste as Quotation (Now that CTRL+SHIFT+V is for Paste Without Formatting).
  • bug 499785 SeaMonkey can’t handle spaces in OpenURL, Firefox can.
  • [toolkit] bug 512173 .message-icon rule in toolkit/themes/winstripe/global/global.css points to non-existent icon.
  • [lightning] bug 516681 Lightning disables SeaMonkey’s throbber.


Ratty

Bugs Fixed:

  • bug 465924 Modern Update: changes in global/ (essentially finished).

    • bug 515622 Modern Update: global/notification.css.
  • bug 509209 Implement Customizable Toolbars in SeaMonkey Message Compose.
  • bug 513446 Small icons in MailNews toolbar becomes large when customizing.
  • bug 516453 Implement Minimal APIs needed for Lightning.
  • bug 517238 Implement Minimal APIs needed for Enigmail.

Working on:

  • bug 512732 Need a chrome://branding/content/icon48.png since mozapps css refers to this.

  • bug 514383 about:certerror should use Larry now that the PageInfo Security tab is (still waiting for reviews).
  • bug 419178 Bookmarks Menu: dropmarker missing” (classic).
  • bug 517469 Port bug 363130: make menuitem icons 16x16px consistently on Windows/Linux (modern).
  • bug 517864 Reclaim vertical space in the bookmarks toolbar menu (modern).
  • bug 517924 Port bug 223132: need a scrollbar on the envelope panel (view all headers / long address lists).
  • [lightning] bug 516882 Lightning needs UI/CSS tweaks for SeaMonkey.

Windows/Linux.
Other.


sgautherie

  • bug 460953 Port jminta’s kill-rdf to SeaMonkey where applicable

    • bug 510793 Actually change folder pane from rdf to js, in SeaMonkey

      • Completed initial bare port, found that it depends on bug bug 444913

      • Postponed to SM 2.1a1 :-|
  • Fixed (or in-progress) SeaMonkey bugs:
    • bug 516195 Port |Bug 435296 – imagelib should support decode-on-draw| to SeaMonkey

    • bug 517478 signon.expireMasterPassword is obsolete and should be removed; (Cv1-SM) Remove all pref support
  • And working on other areas… like
    • infrastructure to run tests

    • filing bugs for leaks in (TUnit) tests
    • doing a Windows comm-central-trunk SeaMonkey unit test build, reporting to bug 470184 issue tracking; looking forward to an official build when enough new buildbot slaves can be enabled (bug 464325 follow-ups).


Standard8


stefanh

Bugs Fixed:

  • bug 384340 [Mac Classic] Checkmark instead of alignment-icon in image alignment menulist.

  • bug 514963 Reference to non-existing background-image in pinstripes listbox.css (toolkit).
  • bug 515621 Wrong paths to toolbar gradient in mailWindow1.css.

Working on:

  • bug 514969 Remove reference to toggle JS on/off in mailNews.

  • bug 516469 Reference to non-existing twisty-clsd.gif and twisty-open.gif in pinstripe’s tree.css (toolkit).
  • bug 517788 [Mac Classic] Download Manager polish.


wladow


Any other business?

  • People need to write some blog posts for the SeaMonkey blog to show off what SM2 features. Mnyromyr needs to write a summary on tabmail anyway, so he can make a blog post from that as well.

  • As a note, KaiRo wrote up a SeaMonkey Privacy Policy page for SeaMonkey along with an update to the geolocation doc up there.
  • KaiRo wants to do an interview series on the SeaMonkey blog with SeaMonkey 2 contributors to highlight the dev community – up to 25 people on the list right now!

Thunderbird Meeting Minutes: 2009-09-22

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — bsmedberg @ 11:00 pm

Thunderbird/StatusMeetings/2009-09-22

From MozillaWiki

last meeting | index | next meeting »

Thunderbird Meeting Details :


Agenda


Action Items


New

  • We should engage the beta testing community in helping with the what’s new and release notes pages, especially explaining why we’ve changed things, and how to get back to the old behavior. jenzed suggested an MDC page. (jz: see https://developer.mozilla.org/en/Thunderbird_3_for_users)

  • Planning for a dry-run security firedrill build


Open


Closed


Thunderbird 3 Beta 4

  • Release Driver: Standard8

  • Build Engineer: gozer


Thunderbird 3

  • Schedule (proposed, may change):

    • Final l10n String Freeze: Tuesday 29th Sept 23:59 PST

    • Approvals/Blockers only: from Tuesday 6th October 23:59 PST
    • Aiming to start RC1 builds on: 3rd Nov.
    • Subsequent RCs as necessary.
  • Please set bugs to assigned status (as well as owner to you) if you want to do them.

  • If you have other bugs assigned to you that you don’t want to do, please reassign or discuss with drivers.
  • If you see what look like theme/css issues, especially on Windows, please file a bug, with a screenshot, and the version of Windows you’re running. Tag it with a “polish” keyword, and nominate it for blocking-tb3?.


QA Updates

Last week:

  • b4 tests builds were on time.

  • Community joined the effort (with around 10/12 people testing.)
    • Test coverage is 95%. Mostly green

    • We’ll need to update some test – work is already in progress on that.
    • 29 Bugs were found during testing (some are duplicates), complete list of bug is visible here
    • Detailed results are visible on litmus
  • Thanks to everybody who gave time to test

This week:


Marketing Updates

  • Press watch: Thunderbird Ups the Email Ante

  • Thunderbird 3 Beta 4 – will be tracking press as it rolls in.
  • Launch prep. Press tour scheduling, and asset work.
  • Meeting w/ board this week to discuss marketing messages.


IT update

  • Thunderbird 3.0 Beta 4

  • ISPDB is open for public consumption
    • More tweaks pending
  • Automation a few bugs so should be better next time.
  • Mac minis are at gozer for more builders


Documentation


Support

  1. Top 5 GS Support Topics (code in progress: http://gist.github.com/190923 )

    1. Cannot receive email (hotmail, other pop, imap)

    2. Cannot read old email (compact folders seems to fix it)
    3. Cannot migrate email from old profile to new profile or old computer to new computer
    4. Forwarding email (how to delete recipients address and forwarding doesn’t work)
    5. Attachments (computer hangs, thunderbird crashes, attachments corrupted)
  2. Support Plan for Thunderbird 3
    1. behind on finishing SUMO evaluation, found a few bugs but appears to be functional for our needs – should be able to catch up this week

    2. behind defining KB issues & new features to document for Thunderbird 3 – should be able to catchup this week
  3. Support Day: September 17, 2009, 9:30-5p.m. Pacific including Vancouver Mozilla Service Week event in the afternoon:
    1. solved a problem with gmail IMAP in #thunderbird, “solved” by upgrading to TB3 Beta3

    2. About a dozen folks at Service Week Event: very brief Thunderbird discussion was about Lightning and Calendering in general, majority was about CMSes like Drupal, WordPress and Joomla
  4. Key Support stats from the following graphic:
    1. approximately 15 / day

    2. total new topics:86 total replies: 111
    3. have ruby code in progress to semi-automate top 5 issues, relies on manual tagging, scheduled to finish this week
    4. #replies from non MoMo folks: 2 from Lightning folks (thanks Martin and Philip and wilkommen!) 8 from Tom (thanks!) 16 from TMZ (our newest official rep, thanks and welcome!) MoMo folks: 5 from Rafael (thanks!), 87 from Roland (I am going to do less this week to focus on Support Plan, SUMO, etc)
    5. happiness metric: API doesn’t have happiness emotitags, asked GS staff about that, code in progress: http://gist.github.com/190094, manual happiness metric = 91 – 87 = 4


Roundtable

during updates (beckley iirc), davida mentioned errutils extension for picking up keyboard events. This page for errutils and reporting tools is linked off of Thunderbird Extensions.


Status Updates


sid0


davida
  • driving, driving, driving

  • some bugs


dmose
  • Mostly focussed on making headers customizable work (bug 465138)

  • Misc reviews & landings
  • Driving


Standard8


asuth


bienvenu
  • Reviews and Driving

  • On vacation Wednesday-Sunday
  • Make sure we force closed the db for imap folder getting deleted even if the folder doesn’t have the db cached, fixes issues with folders not disappearing after moving/deleting/emptying trash bug 513012
  • Worked on rc1 blockers

Next week

  • RC1 blockers

  • Reviews and Driving


gozer
  • Thunderbird 3.0 Beta 4

    • Build automation slowed things down some, next time will be great.
  • Mac OS X comm-1.9.1 nightly builds are slower, but stable now
  • Mac OS X comm-central nightly builds busted by what smells like a gcc bug bug 516858
  • Mac Minis have arrived
  • ISPDB tweaks and opening up
  • SpreadThunderbird drupal updates


clarkbw


wsmwk
  • bug 442222 Update About > Credits for Thunderbird3

    • revised form

    • added more names
  • bug triage
  • fixed 16 litmus tests, vetted about 25


beckley


Penelope


KaiRo
  • SeaMonkey 2.0 driving – final schedule is up at SeaMonkey:Releases:2.0 now

  • Worked on Lightning support for SM 2.0 together with other SeaMonkey contributors, should be in good shape now
  • Helped gozer with his questions on build automation


rkent


rebron

Last week

  • Beta 4 work.

  • More launch planning. Need to coordinate w/ Firefox team on timing.

This week

  • Blog about Thunderbird icon and file bugs to include in product.

  • Hand off web site content to l10n, pascalc, etc.


Tsk

Last week :

  • TB3.0b4 testing

This week :

  • focus back to try to get more people to the QA effort.

  • clean up some litmus test
  • catching up on bugmail


andreasn


bwinton

Last week:

This week:


roland

Last week:

  • helped Rafael push out 6 or so updates for Thunderbird 3 Beta 4 mozillamessaging.com website updates

This week:

  • Spread Thunderbird, coordinate pro-bono Drupal designer

  • Perhaps start working with campus program students to help out with support


nth10sd


Attendees

bittin bwinton jenzed standard8 dmose _Tsk_ davida rebron gozer roland clarkbw bienvenu wsmwk beckley rkent andreas kairo

Mozilla Platform Meeting Minutes: 2009-09-22

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — bsmedberg @ 11:00 pm

Platform/2009-09-22

From MozillaWiki

« previous week | index | next week »


Notices / Schedule

Firefox 3.0.15 / Firefox 3.5.4

  • Code freeze: TODAY! September 22 (end of day).

  • Firefox 3.0.15: 6 open blockers
  • Firefox 3.5.4: 8 open blockers
  • Branches re-open for next releases in October

Firefox 3.6b1

  • now string frozen

  • 25 P1 bugs left
  • needed before b1 cutoff:
    • lightweight themes

    • plugin update referrals
    • about:support
    • js c types
    • js beta blockers


Blocker Report

See more Firefox 3.6 related blocker queries, or learn about the new status and blocker flags


Browser / Front End

(Progress reports every weekend on Planet Firefox)


GFX Update

  • Really exciting work on WebGL implementation. Latest nightlies have WebGL turned on, and lots of demos are popping up.

  • Decode-on-draw work continues; we think we’ve solved the strange performance hit we saw on OS X. We still have to finish the last couple of requirements (like bug 512260 and regressions) before turning it on.
  • GFX has come to a tentative conclusion on Q4 goal planning.
    • We’ve decided to focus on performance, specifically responsiveness (scrolling). We’ll also be supporting the other performance work going on, like the Firefox team’s Ts work and Electrolysis.

    • More information at the Q4 goals page.


Layout Update

  • mozLoadFrom landed [roc]

  • Mac painting improvements [mstange]
  • published Ogg seeking draft [cpearce]
  • WOFF landed [jfkthame, jdaggett]


Content Update

  • 19 blockers, still need to go through and make sure they’re really blockers.

  • Figured out a reliable way to reproduce the facebook farmtown game crasher bug 516780 (thanks to ctalbert!)
  • Working on figuring out Q4 goals
  • Finishing up remainders of our Q3 goals
    • sicking working on remaining parts of XBL2

    • mrbkap working with labs on jetpack security model using COW wrappers.
  • HTML5 parser update (hsivonen)


Platform-specific Support Update

  • 64-bit Mac OS X can build completely. Working to get patches into the tree. Doesn’t run yet due to xptcall problem.

  • Mac OS X trunk only builds and runs on 10.5+ for now. Not removing 10.4 code from the tree until the decision is final.


JS


Startup Performance

join us in irc.mozila.org #startup!

Highlights from the weekly update post:

Also, Vlad put up instructions for using AMD’s CodeAnalyst, which is a free tool that is super easy to use and tremendously useful for profiling on Windows.


Security


Electrolysis

  • Necko: working on cross-process HttpChannels. Still early, hard to give ETA.

  • Windowed plugins pretty close! some of the new plugin stream tests pass, and some basic NPObject remoting works. Trying to find answers to NPAPI unknowns in plugin-futures and generate more tests.
    • Lots of cleanup to do: remove singletons by adding context to the plugin host, make plugin instantiation and process launch asynchronous, deal with race conditions of constructors against other methods.
  • karlt/jmuizelaar working on windowless this week
  • fred/bz/bsmedberg met about session history requirements: meeting notes


Tree Management

  • Downtime this week (Thursday?). Notice coming soon.

  • Turning off tests in unittest build+test build. Existing packaged tests will still be running. bug 507540
  • Hoping to land tests on debug and optimized builds on trunk as well.
  • Reminder that we still do OSX 10.4 builds on Try, so expect orange if you’re pushing trunk patches.
  • Un-swapping privatebytes and RSS on Mac Talos results. bug 516497
  • Wait times for Try Talos are very long. Working on power/space solutions here.
  • Some changes to graph server landed, should be much faster to load. bug 492352
  • When are we going to hit a freeze on infrastructure changes for 3.6 release?


Roundtable

  • [Added by Johnath] Stop using old phone numbers! A few long-deprecated dial-in numbers are going out of service this week. The normal dial-in numbers for this call are below, if you’re using a different number (specifically, 866-500-1038 or 650-215-7299), cut it out.

    • 650-903-0800 or 650-215-1282 x92 Conf# 8605 (US/INTL)

    • 1-800-707-2533 (pin 369) Conf# 8605 (US)
  • [bsmedberg] Can’t get to 0 blocker noms without a general triage: after this call, or some other day this week?

21-September-2009

Mozilla Project Meeting Minutes: 2009-09-21

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — bsmedberg @ 11:00 pm

WeeklyUpdates/2009-09-21

From MozillaWiki

« previous week | index | next week »


Friends of the Tree


Development Updates


Firefox

( Projects | Status | Goals | People )

Namoroka (Firefox 3.6)

  • next milestone: Firefox 3.6 Beta 1

  • Cleared nomination backlog, 31 front end blockers remain.
  • Some of the notable work this week includes:
    • now string-frozen

    • progress on getting Personas integrated into 3.6
    • pushing to get the long-requested about:support troubleshooting page done, to make SUMO’s life better. bug 367596

Team News


Gecko

  • Making progress on Flash crashes re: Facebook and other sites. If anyone is experiencing lots of crash in Flash, on Facebook, we could use help debugging. See this bug for more info.

  • We’re still at 119 blockers for 1.9.2. Javascript triage happened last week, raising the numbers a bit. Today and tomorrow, we’ll go over the lists again and make sure, again, the blockers are really blockers. JS bugs have all been prioritized as well with owners.
  • Blockers:
    • P1: 25

    • P2: 64
    • P3: 4
    • Other: 29
  • Team blocker numbers:
    • Layout: 31

    • Content: 20
    • GFX: 10
    • JS: 34

(Will updated these with links shortly).


Branch work: Firefox 3.0.x / Firefox 3.5.x / Thunderbird 2.0.0.x


Thunderbird

  • 3.0b4 is expected to ship tomorrow (Tuesday, September 22).

  • 3.0RC1 work is underway; help very much appreciated:
    • run a nightly build and provide feedback/filing bugs (please nominate as blocking-thunderbird? if appropriate)

    • write a patch for a blocker bug


SeaMonkey

  • Feedback from SeaMonkey 2.0 Beta 2, released roughly a week ago, is good so far

  • Some people are quite excited that Lightning calendar can be installed now
  • Freeze for 2.0 probably on Oct 6, release later that month


Mobile


IT

Last Week

This Week


Release Engineering

  • New set of mobile devices ready to go into production soon

  • Hoping to land some of the changes to how unittests are running this week [1]
  • We’re talking about Q4 goals, if you have anything you want, let us know!


QA

Test Execution

  • QA is now present on irc.freenode.net, channel #mozilla-quality

  • Latest % of feature testing completion in the Firefox 3.6 Testplan
  • Mozmill litmus automation progress: 54 BFT fixed, 16 BFT tests remaining (Q3)

Web Dev Testing

  • Testing AMO 5.1 is in progress

  • Verified changes for phase 3 of Mozilla Service Week.
  • Testing of Student signature contest is in progress.
  • Testing of SUMO 1.4 is in progress.

Metrics, Accessibility, Localization, Community

Test Development

  • Have the first pass of the automatic crash reproduction system working – pulling URLs from a database, spinning builds, running tests, pushing results back into the database

  • First set of NPAPI stream tests landed, Plugin scripting tests are next
  • Working through the issues with Python CE and identifying what is blocking bringing up Talos on Python CE.
  • Beginning work on Q4 goals, more information soon.
  • More details here


Security

No updates


Marketing/PR

PR

Mozilla Service Week

Events

  • Jornadas Regionales de Software Libre en Chile October 7 – 9, 2009, Santiago, Chile – Sponsoring event and bringing together the Mozilla Hispanic Community. + 2 day MozCamp Prior. Invitations have been sent out and we will have around 40 people attending including 6 MoCo representatives.

  • WordCamp Philippines September 19, 2009 in Makati City, Philippines – Waiting to hear back from Gen/Seth on their update.
  • Philippine Blog Awards October 9, 2009 in Luzon, Philippines – We are sponsoring this event.  Our mission is to help build up the Philippine community and build the Tagalog locale.

Community


Support


Metrics

  • 10,000,000 clicks to flash update page at adobe.com (the number currently stands at close to 12M)

  • Firefox Uninstall Survey
    • When we re-launched earlier this year, one key aspect we didn’t promote much is the new reporting interface (it’s public)

    • You may recall that when we quizzed you about the #1 reason, the answer was a tie between “crashes” and “just temporary” (this was back in June). Now looking at the data trended over time, “crashes” has since shown a significant increase. We’ll likely blog with some insights.


Evangelism

(blizzard traveling for work; arun to give update)

  • Held a “Summit” of developers to get feedback on Firefox’s future directions. Attended by recognized developers, including folks from Facebook, Apple (mobileMe), Google, Yahoo, Ruby devs, etc.

  • MDC had to be restored from a backup after a database corruption problem late yesterday. Any edits made between 7 AM Sunday morning and around 8 PM or so were lost.


Labs

  • Snowl 0.3 released; more info in the blog post

  • Design Lunch this week is on about:weave redesign and the currently running Weave Design Challenge.
  • The video from last week’s Design Lunch, about the redesign of the Download Manager and notifications for Firefox 4. (The video seems to be weirdly sped up, which makes some of the speech hard to follow. I’m going to look into whether it’s fixable.)


Developer Tools

  • Ben and Joe were at The Ajax Experience

  • Firefox Platform summit was on Friday
  • Bespin 0.4.4 “Bubba Ho-Tep” was released (bugfixes)

This week:

  • Live file history – initial release of this feature planned for this week.

  • Bespin “Reboot” planning (next week, we’re on site to work through a structural overhaul of Bespin’s code)
  • Plugin loading/infrastructure for Bespin Reboot
  • Set up new Bespin hg repositories that will be a home for the Reboot code. Will also be breaking the server and client into separate repos.


Add-ons

  • AMO 5.1 launches next week, check out our work in progress at [2]

    • New Developer Portal

    • Tutorials, guides, forums, and more!
  • Chicago Meetup on Sept 29 at Threadless HQ!
  • Welcome Jorge Villalobos, Add-ons Developer Relations Lead


Webdev

  • Work continues on PFS2 demo. Our hope is to take the success of the Flash experiment and broaden it to all plugins.

  • AMO 5.1 in code freeze
  • Socorro materialized views push was successful last Thursday. MTBF, URL and Top Crasher backend was refactored and improved. Reporter changes to follow.
  • Met with Metrics team to discuss needs for crash analysis and statistics.


L10n

  • Localizers are in the middle of Firefox 3.6 string freeze

  • Finishing up the often-changing content of Mozilla Service Week — thanks for hanging in there, localizers!
  • Pascal working with Fennec web team to finalize content
  • Stas examined all the Get Personas code base and gave detailed feedback to web dev on steps to make it fully localizable
  • Gandalf is working on wrapping up quarterly goals like a new release of Silme and working on further data integration into the l10n dash board
  • L10n track is finalized and posted for the Prague MozEU camp


Foundation Updates


Roundtable


Other Business

15-September-2009

Thunderbird Meeting Minutes: 2009-09-15

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — bsmedberg @ 11:00 pm

Thunderbird/StatusMeetings/2009-09-15

From MozillaWiki

last meeting | index | next meeting »

Thunderbird Meeting Details :


Agenda

  • Who’s taking minutes? –> Bienvenu

  • Minute taking Schedule. Talk to davida for schedule changes/additions.


Action Items


New

  • We should engage the beta testing community in helping with the what’s new and release notes pages, especially explaining why we’ve changed things, and how to get back to the old behavior. jenzed suggested an MDC page.

  • Planning for a dry-run security firedrill build


Open

  • Autoconfig process

    • Mostly on hold during b4 push

    • Webapp currently being tested to fix some initial problems, will open up for broader testing soon
    • davida will be working with gozer on moving the webapp into a preview release
    • hopefully getting some review time from a django person
    • bwinton has been coordinating with Greg and students
      • 5 students across Canada
    • Join the ISPDB Google Group to participate in the discussion


Closed


Thunderbird 3 Beta 4

  • Build Process Started

  • This week QA testing builds and release note preparations.
  • Plan is to ship one week after builds are generated, with 2 or 3 days baking if we need to make a new build.


Thunderbird 3

  • Schedule (proposed, may change):

    • Final l10n String Freeze: Tuesday 29th Sept 23:59 PST

    • Approvals/Blockers only: from Tuesday 6th October 23:59 PST
    • Aiming to start RC1 builds on: 3rd Nov.
    • Subsequent RCs as necessary.
  • Please set bugs to assigned status (as well as owner to you) if you want to do them.

  • If you have other bugs assigned to you that you don’t want to do, please reassign or discuss with drivers.
  • If you see what look like theme/css issues, especially on Windows, please file a bug, with a screenshot, and the version of Windows you’re running. We need some way of marking these bugs to attract drivers’ attention.


QA Updates

  • We had a interesting test day – with many bugs being filled. Thanks to everybody who participated. Thank you to everyone who participated.

  • New search component under Thunderbird (see wswmk’s update)
  • We are working on testing Thunderbird 3.0b4 this week. The sign-in system is good and we might have reached critical masses in order for that system to work.

    • if you want to participate send me an email with the os you are using (ludovic@mozillamessaging.com)

    • Starting to monitor Crash-stats for higher usage of the first official build.
  • Reminder for developers to add unit tests when they add new features, or at least raise the in-testsuite flag on the corresponding bug.


Marketing Updates


IT update

  • SUMO 1.3 installed in Preview

  • Release automation
  • Looking at expanding build capacity (esp. on OS X)


Documentation

  • first draft of tutorial is now “live” https://developer.mozilla.org/en/Building_a_Thunderbird_extension

    • cruft removed

    • content updated and “Thunderbirdified”
    • structured to allow for plugging-in other code samples (extensibility)
  • working on dev-doc-needed bugs
  • editing / consulting with Roland / support
  • housekeeping how-tos (cleaning up new structure, tagging, linking, etc)
  • when developers don’t have 3.0 blocker bugs, they should spend some time working with Jen, documenting what we’ve done in 3.0


Support

  1. Top 5 GS Support Topics

    1. How to access and receive Hotmail from POP

    2. Email all gone/disappeared
    3. Thunderbird won’t start on Windows
    4. Unable to transfer email from Windows to Windows
    5. Cannot send email – get password prompt
  2. Draft Support Plan for Thunderbird 3 – to be heavily iterated this week with rebron
  3. Support Day: September 17, 2009, 9:30-5p.m. Pacific including Vancouver Mozilla Service Week event in the afternoon:
    1. https://wiki.mozilla.org/Thunderbird/Support/GetSatisfaction/GSDay20090917
  4. SUMO as Knowledge Base for MoMo evaluation in progress with gozer
  5. Key Support stats from the following graphic:
    1. approximately 15 / day

    2. total new topics:82 total replies: 72 – fell a wee bit behind because of the long weekend
    3. have ruby code in progress to semi-automate metrics, relies on manual tagging
    4. #replies from non MoMo folks: 4 from Tom (thanks!) MoMo folks: 8 from Standard8 (thanks!), 2 from Rafael (thanks!) to be filled in later new users:
    5. happiness metric: to be filled in


Roundtable


Status Updates


sid0


davida


dmose
  • message header coding and review work

  • misc driving


Standard8
  • Reviews and Driving

  • bug 514858 Cannot disable Shredder start page, regardless of setting
  • Finally able to push – bug 511240 Provide feedback for loading of content within content tabs – as the core patch went into 1.9.1.
  • Satchel is now built by default in TB 3 (bug 510378).
  • Got an initial patch semi-working for pop3 on bug 338549 Mailnews account password prompts at startup no longer serial.


asuth


bienvenu
  • Reviews and Driving

  • Make sure smart folders persist the sort settings when we sort, bug 516143
  • fix temporary hang leaving saved search folders before the search completes, bug 516388
  • Fallback to all folders mode if we get an error starting up in folder pane rebuild, bug 516176
  • Fix deleting from gloda search results view, bug 515860
  • Make smart folders the default mode, and add new special folders to the right place in smart folders, bug 492922
  • Don’t bother the user with imap alerts about failed connections when shutting down, potentially part of bug 494014
  • Fixed bug 515516 smart folders accounts gets marked as local mail folder account, preventing us from creating an actual local folders account
  • Fix initial sort of listed faceted search results, which fixed a crash showing that list.
  • Make auto config the wizard for new profiles, bug 511308

Next week:

  • On vacation Sept 16-18th

  • rc1 blockers


gozer
  • Thunderbird 3 Beta 4!

  • Sunbird OS X l10n repacks working again


clarkbw
  • reviews and driving

  • focus on gloda faceting search results
  • continuing on release blockers
  • Bryan will be demoing TB 3.0 B4 in Vancouver tomorrow, specifically faceted search.


wsmwk

~4 weeks of info

  • bug 442222 Update About > Credits for Thunderbird3

    • major updates of credits is in 3.0b4, as described in the bug

    • will post to mdat and drivers about accepting nominations after webform has been updated. please make nominations for credits based on the webform description (which may change shortly). We are using a criteria of the person made a significant contribution to a feature or features in thunderbird 3 / made a significant investment of time, with useful results … contributions can range from dev to bug triage to QA to marketing and more. Note, this is somewhat broader than “the release would not have happened were it not for their involvement.”
  • monitoring crash stats and crash bugs for 3.0b4. filed:
    • bug 513315 crash [@ nsScriptSecurityManager::GetCurrentJSContext()]

    • bug 512171 crash [@ nsWindowSH::GetProperty(nsIXPConnectWrappedNative*, JSContext*, JSObject*, int, int*, int*)]
    • bug 515243 startup crash [@ nsGetInterface::operator()(nsID const&, void**)]
    • bug 515999 crash [@ nsTHashtable<nsBaseHashtableET<nsCStringHashKey, nsCString> >::s_InitEntry(PLDHashTable*, PLDHashEntryHdr*, void const*)]
    • bug 516047 crash [@ nsXULTreeGridCellAccessible::GetAttributesInternal(nsIPersistentProperties*)] (3.1a1 topcrash)
    • bug 512678 crash [@ nsPurpleBuffer::Put(nsISupports*)] during address autocomplete
    • bug 516427 crash (no laughing allowed)
  • bug triage
  • banging on gloda / search – looking good
  • updated Component Watch List wiki
  • search component
    • facet + gloda front end bugs (fixed and open) moved to search component

    • quick search bugs (open) moved to search component
    • do we want Search Messages and saved search folders to move to search component? thinking yes for SM and no for saved search (i.e. keep in folders and message list)
    • waiting on moving more – many should be triaged rather than just mass moved, like this subset (55 bugs). there are many more (184 bugs)
    • set your bugmail watches to search@thunderbird.bugs!
  • setup vista build environment
  • hosted Gary for 2 weeks – a good guest!


beckley


Penelope
  • Some issues with the recent Eudora/Penelope beta are having us do a new beta based on TB 3.0b4 source code. Will be out soon after TB 3.0b4 is released.
  • Having problems with arrow keys and Cut/Copy/Paste/Undo/Redo/SelectAll shortcuts not working in composition windows on Mac. Other shortcuts work, but having trouble figuring out what’s causing those few not to work.


KaiRo
  • Released SeaMonkey 2.0 Beta 2 on Saturday – now has tabmail and can install Lightning!


rkent


rebron

Last week:

  • More press tour/end game planning.

  • Meetings w/ various mozilla marketing/evangelism folks.

This week:

  • Focus on b4, web site content, press handling.

  • Prep for following meeting with board/mitchell.
  • Tb 3 press demo dry run next week (maybe).


Tsk

Last week :

  • Organized test day

  • Organized test week
  • Participated to Faceted search test day
  • Following and participated in Litmus 2 discussions
  • Triage

Upcoming week :

  • Release testing for 3.0b4

  • Release testing for 3.0b4
  • Release testing for 3.0b4


andreasn
  • This week:

    • More faceting layout work

    • And blog about the process
    • Account preferences sizes bug 416263 bug 516472 bug 516586
    • Vista autoconfig a11y issues
    • Some other Vista theme fixes


bwinton

Last week:

This week:


roland


nth10sd


Attendees

andreas, asuth, bienvenu, bwinton, davida, gozer, wsmwk, standard8, ludovic, dmose, roland, rebron clarkbw

Mozilla Platform Meeting Minutes: 2009-09-15

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — bsmedberg @ 11:00 pm

Platform/2009-09-15

From MozillaWiki

« previous week | index | next week »


Notices / Schedule

Firefox 3.0.15 / Firefox 3.5.4

Firefox 3.6b1

  • string freeze took place last night, now string frozen in common code and browser only

  • next deadline is beta code freeze; need ETA from component leads and proposed date
  • please mark any beta blocker bugs as P1 and blocking+
    • blocking beta means that we need beta feedback before releasing with that change


Blocker Report

See more Firefox 3.6 related blocker queries, or learn about the new status and blocker flags


Browser / Front End

(Progress reports every weekend on Planet Firefox)


GFX Update

  • Decode-on-draw landed over the weekend, but we have modified it so it’s turned off because of perf regressions.

    • Various other small regressions as well

    • Search for bugs with [decodeondraw] in the whiteboard to follow the progress.
  • WebGL update:


Layout Update

  • Frame poisoning landed, bounced (zwol)

    • One-line typo fixed, will attempt to re-land this afternoon
  • Final CSS Transitions patch up for review (dbaron)
  • Contributing reftests to W3C test suite (dbaron)
  • nsStyleAnimation patches landed (bug 504652, shared animation code for SMIL & CSS transitions) (dbaron, dholbert)
  • Final SMIL+CSS patch almost ready for review (dholbert)
  • Patches up for review for HTMLMediaElement::mozLoadFrom (roc)
  • Wrangling WOFF patch (jdaggett, jfkthame)
  • Ogg indexing nearly ready for release (cpearce)
  • Doubly-linked frame lists making great progress (bz, mats) [basically done in my tree, building on top of mats' last-child work; uploading the patches as we speak --bz] bug 512336


Content Update

  • Continued progress on XBL2

  • peterv investigating JS timeout related slowness
  • mrbkap continues to plug security holes in various wrapper corners
  • bnewman starting to look at popup blocker issues (blocker bug, and then some)
  • smaug starting to look at event handling for elecrolysis
  • HTML5 parser update (hsivonen)


Platform-specific Support Update

  • [jimm] Initial Win7 SDK build/test runs complete. (bug 505504) Working with build on getting upgrade scheduled.


JS


Startup Performance


Security


Electrolysis

  • Known tasks have been organized into a bug hierarchy

  • Windowless plugins are a big schedule risk: karlt may not be able to start on them for another week or more. Are there other people who can help, especially with event forwarding?
  • the JPW is going to be important for writing tests, since we don’t have an async script execution mechanism yet. mrbkap do you have an ETA on that?
  • We’re going to try to get mobile stuff going without graphics, specifically the event-forwarding pieces, see bug 516727


Tree Management

  • new Talos suite Dirty profile MAX landed last week

  • Windows CE builds on Try server


Roundtable

Older Posts »

Powered by WordPress