Meeting Notes

6-November-2008

Firefox 3.1 Meeting Minutes: 2008-11-05

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — bsmedberg @ 12:00 am

Firefox3.1/StatusMeetings/2008-11-05

From MozillaWiki

« previous week | index | next week »

Firefox Product Delivery Meeting Details

  • Wednesdays – Firefox 3 – 11:00am Pacific, 2:00pm Eastern, 18:00 UTC

  • Mozilla Building S
  • 650-903-0800 or 650-215-1282 x92 Conf# 8605 (US/INTL) <– note new extension: x92 instead of x91!
  • 1-800-707-2533 (pin 369) Conf# 8605 (US)
  • irc.mozilla.org #shiretoko for backchannel

NOTE: See Platform#Meeting_Notes for development meeting notes


Firefox 2.0.0.x / 3.0.x

  • Firefox 2.0.0.18 and 3.0.4

    • Code froze last Wednesday, a few days late

    • Builds for both releases were available Friday afternoon
    • Scheduled release date is November 12
    • Heading to beta later today
  • Major Update
    • Planning a major update after release

    • Aiming for ~2 weeks after release
  • Thunderbird 2.0.0.18
    • Currently scheduled for November 19

    • Highly dependent on Firefox
    • Aiming for about a week after Firefox 2.0.0.18
  • Firefox 2.0.0.19 and 3.0.5
    • Schedules are on the wiki

    • Code freeze is for November 17 at 11:59pm PST
    • Using new short development, long QA cycle


Support

Weekly common issues

  • Norton 360 updated yesterday

  • Still have a lot of issues with locked places.sqlite that aren’t Norton 360 related.
  • Issues with Yahoo login is still the most common cookies issue


Firefox 3.1

Beta 2

  • tree now frozen and only open to blocking bugs, as well as a few scheduled exceptions

  • will be finishing and polishing from now until thursday
  • localizers will have next weekend to finish up (strings will stop landing as of Thursday)
  • release schedule is available online


Support

  • Discussion in mozilla.support.planning about re-evaluating in-product help for Firefox 3.1

    • Evaulating: How big should it be? Can we better organize the content in product help? What content should be covered in in-product help?

    • Current issue: Do we consider any page in in-product help to be mandatory for localization?
    • Dependent on Firefox code: Are there any other good places for help-topic links? Is it too late to even think about that?


Localization

this week 
40 (ar be bg bn-IN ca cs de el en-GB es-AR es-ES et eu fi fr fy-NL ga-IE gl he hi-IN is it ka kn lt lv nb-NO nn-NO pl pt-PT ro ru si sk sl sq sv-SE tr uk zh-CN)

last week 
3 (da ko zh-TW)

week before last 
3 (nl oc te)

older
10 (eo gu-IN hu id ja ja-JP-mac mk pa-IN pt-BR sr)

admins only
7 (af cy ku ml mn mr th)


QA

  • Our top critical tracking issues blocking Beta 2 test development:

    • (bc) bug 458857 – TM: “Assertion failure: ngslots == tm->globalTypeMap->length()” with gc and generator as getters

      • blocking flag, needs a patch
    • (bc) bug 451843 – Running Dijit Tree Test with Content JIT enabled causes the TreeView not to appear.
      • TM is b2, but no one assigned to it yet. Might need to be punted to next milestone
    • (bc) bug 457660 – js1_8/genexps/regress-380237-01.js: InternalError: too much recursion (64bit)
      • TM is b2, but no one assigned to it yet. Might need to be punted to next milestone
  • Fx3.1 Feature testing progress spreadsheet
    • Testplan completion %: 84% (last week: 80%)

    • Estimated testcases: 752 (last week: 743)
    • Testcase completion %: 56% (last week: 46%)
      • Targeted % by Beta 2 ship: Testplans 100% | Testcases 50%

      • Targeted % by RC1 ship: Testplans 100% | Testcases 90%
  • As always, Feature Testplans and progress here.
  • Tracking Topcrashes from beta 1 (ss)
  • Created session on the 3.1 testplan wiki for QA/Support common issues
  • Private browsing testday pushed out again. Need time for internal testing / writing testcases this week (marcia)


Release Engineering

  • FF2.0.0.18 bug 461264 and FF3.0.4 bug 461267 going to beta today

  • TB2.0.0.18 waiting for last minute fix.
  • FF3.1beta2 bug 463036 waiting for go. Still doing last of the rel-automation work.


Evangelism

  • Docs coming up – working through worker threads + access control stuff on the messaging page
  • Add-ons compat page from justin (fligtar) is up and running.

  • Add-ons blog is up. Justin and others have been blogging.
  • Paul is starting to collect information on a specific page for add-ons developers


Marketing/PR


Roundtable

5-November-2008

SeaMonkey Meeting Minutes: 2008-11-04

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — bsmedberg @ 12:00 am

SeaMonkey:StatusMeetings:2008-11-04

From MozillaWiki

« last meeting | index

SeaMonkey Meeting Details


Agenda

  • Who’s taking minutes? –> Ratty


Action Items

(who needs to do what that hasn’t been recorded in a bug)

  • KaiRo needs to remind gavin periodically to review bug 407725.


SeaMonkey 2 Alpha 2

Bug Queries

open blockers
all blockers
blocker requests

  • Freeze target is still 18th November 2008, can we make it? Do we have enough new stuff until then to warrant another alpha?

    • bug 428216 (toolbarbutton iconsize/mode control) is down to the last few nits. Waiting for review and should be able to land before the 18th.

    • bug 255834 (port Thunderbird RSS/Atom reader) has r+/sr+ so should be able to land ASAP (later today hopefully).
    • bug 36810 (session restore) just needs some review TLC.
    • Vista integration (part of bug 453797).


Longer-Term SeaMonkey 2 Planning

open wanted
wanted requests

Major wanted/needed features:

  • bug 381157 Download manager.

    • Some progress.
  • bug 390025 Kill-wallet (password manager).
    • started work on the backend again (bug 433316).

      • Got some code in place to try and obtain passwords from toolkit password manager before prompting. This fixed some of the unit tests when building with toolkit password manager.

      • Came across and fixed bug bug 461341 – when toolkit password manager migrates usernames it needs to unescape them.
      • Wallet password details haven’t been kept up to date with username/hostname changes – discussions in bug 433316 on how to fix this.
      • bug 461029 POP protocol will now PR_LOG errors it also displays to the user.
      • Noticed than nsMsgMailNewsURL was the only use nsUrlListenerManager and that in turn was effectively an nsTObserverArray – replaced the appropriate code bug 461946.
      • Then noticed possible (small?) perf improvement and filed bug 461951.
    • Work has stalled a little in the second week (due to reviews), hoping to pick up again this week.
  • bug 382187 Places history.
    • still waiting for first round of review comments from Neil.
  • bug 36810 Session restore.
    • waiting for review.

    • Patch for turning to error page also ready (bug 413385). Needs help with css/ui for error page patch.
  • bug 394288 / bug 413385 Toolbar customization.
    • bug 428216 (toolbarbutton iconsize/mode control) is down to the last few nits. Waiting for review and should be able to land before the 18th.

    • Toolkit bug 407725 is still waiting for reviews from gavin.
  • bug 456757 Modern theme update
    • No progress to date. Ratty will poke Kuden about this.
  • bug 460699 Make the default theme look better on mac
    • status/progress?
  • bug 454847 Fishcam update
  • bug 410613 OpenSearch.
    • No progress.

    • Kairo: Our search sidebar won’t work with it, but I’m not sure if we need/want to keep that one.
    • Ratty: We can port the advanced search sidebar extension for Firefox worse comes to the worse.
  • bug 453797 SeaMonkey installer improvements.
    • Patch is ready. mcsmurf will do some testing before submitting for review.
  • Handling bug 420506 (Thunderbird kill-rdf).
    • bug 460952 Ensure Thunderbird kill-rdf doesn’t break SeaMonkey.

      • status/progress?
    • bug 460953 Port jminta’s kill-rdf to SeaMonkey where applicable.
      • status/progress?
  • bug 313822 (Make Lightning work on SeaMonkey) (helpwanted).
    • Hard dependency on bug 460960 (Port Thunderbird tabbed interface to MailNews). The current tabbed interface code is much better than previous iterations and we are going ahead with this.
  • bug 248970 Do we want to port private browsing?
    • Ratty: This is more complicated for SeaMonkey since we also have a mail/news component, not to mention chatzilla, composer, etc.
  • bug 255834 (port Thunderbird RSS/Atom reader).
    • Help still needs to be provided for RSS reader though bug 286975 (helpwanted) once bug 255834 has landed.

    • We need to hook up Feed preview bug 415372 at some point.


Roundtable

Status Updates from developers – what are you working on, what’s the progress, any other comments? (feel free to add yourself to the list if your name is missing and you have interesting status).


ajschult

  • My desktop died (so nye went away), but seems healthy again so nye is back.


biesi


Callek


IanN

  • Attended EU MozCamp in Barcelona.

  • Been working on porting / moving RSS to SeaMonkey bug 255834, further work on fixing existing issues to be done.


KaiRo

  • Attended EU MozCamp in Barcelona.

  • bug 459413 Geolocation prompt – landed from Barcelona.
  • Did some build system sync with mozilla-central.
  • Started discussion on long-term project goals.
  • Removed typeaheadfind from the build as bustage fix, hopefully starting a switch to a toolkit-based implementation.
  • Started the Release_Process for 1.1.13, release target is Nov 12.
  • As always, my blog has more detailed status about my work.


mcsmurf

  • Got review on one patch in bug 453797 Port Bug 392303 (Simplify installer changes) to SeaMonkey installer.

  • Will test a few things with the installer on Vista, then request review on the other patch.
  • Worked on bug 461957 SeaMonkey en-US installer files and check-locales.pl disagree about variable usage.
  • Took a look at old roaming code and Thunderbird roaming code in a bug, but no real progress.


Misak

  • bug 36810 (session restore).

  • bug 459550 (Port Bug 448976 (turn the Session Restore prompt into an error page) to SeaMonkey).
  • bug 425480 (non-ASCII characters should be decoded in the urlbar).
  • bug 455877 (port Bug 254714 to SeaMonkey).
  • Bug reporting and bug triage.


Mnyromyr


MReimer


Neil


Ratty

  • bug 428216 (toolbarbutton iconsize/mode control) is down to the last few nits. Waiting for review and should be able to land before the 18th.

  • Fixed some minor/trivial bugs: bug 388349, bug 459769, bug 462997
  • Track and respond to posts in the Mozillazine SeaMonkey forums. Encourage people to file bugs (and even patches!).


sgautherie


Standard8


stefanh


wladow

  • Last weekend I played a bit with the ‘obsolete strings finder’ script used by TB guys recently. Rough estimation of what we can remove: -100 strings in /editor, -600 in /suite. This probably won’t make SeaMonkey 2.0a2.


Any other business?

Thunderbird Meeting Minutes: 2008-11-04

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — bsmedberg @ 12:00 am

Thunderbird/StatusMeetings/2008-11-04

From MozillaWiki

last meeting | index | next week »

Thunderbird Meeting Details


Agenda

  • Who’s taking minutes? –> bienvenu

  • Minute taking Schedule. Talk to davida for schedule changes/additions.


Calls For Help

  • davida would appreciate assistance on the autoconfiguration branch. (The awesome create-a-new-account screen where you just enter your e-mail address and it figures out most/all of the details for you.) One particular area that could use assistance is handling certificates in the connection detection logic.


Action Items


New


Open

  • dmose: drive JS-in-mail discussion – will get together next week at moco

  • davida: will escalate issue of separate messaging crash-stats server
    • Crash-stats is looking reasonable at the moment. Do we still want to do this?

    • We can ask for 100% sampling of Thunderbird on existing crash-test server – gozer will file a bug asking for this.
    • We would like our own server, but it’s not as urgent as it was.
  • davida: needs to identify the major work items for thunderbird 3 and break them down by the beta/release they will be in.
    • hoping to do as a group next week.
  • From the Alpha 3 post-mortem (individuals should take your own items and go through them):
    • wsmwk: Need to define what tests (e.g. smoketests/basic functional/unit tests etc) should go where and where they are filed.

    • standard8: Generate some gristmill example scripts, and encourage others to use gristmill and file bugs to help improve it. – still open
    • tb-drivers: Go through current MailNews/TB relnote bugs and work out what is really necessary. – low priority.


Closed

  • sipaq: Document details on what should happen before, during and after the string freeze, and the effects on developers at the relevant times.

    • See sipaq’s blog

    • Comments welcome.
    • Includes: a description of the responsibilities of developers during a string freeze and when breaking the string freeze
  • wsmwk: Put up tracking meta bug 463057 for issues found during testing of release candidates.


Thunderbird 3 Beta 1

  • bienvenu is release driver

  • gozer is build engineer
  • Proposed String freeze date: 2008-11-13
  • Code Freeze date: 2008-11-18
  • davida will identify the must-absolutely-have items for beta 1 (part of the new action item planning what must happen by when)

    • Proposed intermediate target (to prevent everything either landing at the end or missing) for major items: Friday, October 31

      • Gloda

        • Definitely land with the pref turning it off today, 11/4

        • dmose progressing reviews.
      • AutoConfig
        • Definitely land as an additional menu item, not yet replacing account wizard

        • depends on how much time bienvenu has as to if this will make it or not.
      • Kill-RDF
        • SeaMonkey note: need to land ASAP as it may cause problems

        • Currently going through reviews. May or may not make it by the date.
        • non-rdf js folder pane in review, should land this week.
      • Cross-folder views
        • landed last week.
      • dmose has a bunch of message view stuff to land
      • We may want to deal with the self-signed cert issue in general before dealing with auto config.
      • We want to have some visible changes to the folder pane before beta 1
  • testday(s)
    • purpose: solidify functionality & stability for big features/changes

    • testday 1 – pre-freeze – ~ Nov 14. Need testing goals/methods for Gloda and other features
    • testday 2 – post-freeze – ~Nov 20 for items landed last


Thunderbird 3

  • Draft Thunderbird:Thunderbird3:DevRoadmap identifies major work items on the plate for Tb3 — much of it needs scheduling, owning, breakdown.

    • folks interested in helping with front-end stuff, some simple, should ask in #maildev


QA Updates


Roundtable

davida brought up the idea of having a linux-specific theme instead of windows and linux sharing a default theme.


Status Updates


davida
  • paris

    • 6 press interviews, lots of interest in Thunderbird 3

    • visit with french governmental users, lots of great interest/feedback
    • visit with french software development co. doing lots of Thunderbird & OO.o work
    • hanging out with Mozilla folks at the Paris office, to talk about web l10n in particular:
      • pascalc to coordinate web l10n w/ localizers (& sipaq of course) for Tb3 cycle

      • pages to be checked in to momo svn tree
      • mozilla-europe.org to have landing pages where they already have content, redirecting to momo’s website
  • barcelona
    • good feedback on gloda/exptoolbar/timeline demo

    • met w/ a lot of people, including calendar crew.
    • I have promised a bottle of whatever poison is preferred to whoever gets chromebug to work with non-Firefox apps (Tb in particular).
  • code
    • need to polish up OS X tab patch & submit for review

    • Q: what do we want to do about inheriting windows & linux tabs from Fx, given that we have one theme for both OSes?
    • need to integrate my exptoolbar patches w/ the new gloda/exptoolbar stuff. ETA: this week.
  • planning momo workweek next week


dmose
  • participated in 2010 Goals: Data discussion

  • switched calendar usage to Lightning; lots of bugfiling
  • more addressbook UUID discussion
  • GloDa testing/review; fighting it out with hg to land the changesets
  • got help on scrolling message header stuff from roc
  • driving
  • discussions related to student involvement in Thunderbird


nth10sd
  • “Old” bug queries, with MailNews and Calendar added, at testday focus — only 30 TB UNCO non-enh bugs have no comments before TB2 release date.

  • The number was >2,200 when bugdays first started 7.5 months ago, end-March 2008.


jcranmer


Standard8
  • Reviews

  • Tidied up bloat test documentation and patches (bug 428398), in preparation for moving the bloat boxes to tinderbox
  • Fake servers now have debug for received/sent commands
  • Filed some calendar bugs (bug 462304, bug 462305, bug 462306, bug 462317)
  • Tested calendar with respect to leak, filed bug 462326
  • Played around with doing a harness for startup performance tests (this will help assessment of TB + Lightning, bug 462280
  • bug 462835 Rename address collector in preparation for work on improving address collector (first step will be so it checks across multiple directories).
  • Did the final one-line fix for bug 379070 Remove nsXPIDLCString / nsXPIDLString from mailnews


asuth


bienvenu
  • Lots and lots of reviews, which means the activity level is high

  • 3.0b1 driving, including triage of Lightning bugs
  • Landed cross-folder view threading and grouping bug 379806, and a couple follow up fixes. One other patch is awaiting review
  • Carved out just the js non-rdf folder pane parts of the kill-rdf repo and submitted for review
  • Landed other small parts of kill-rdf repo, and carved out other parts for review
  • Worked some on getting the new account setup code to work with existing SMTP servers.


emre
  • Mainly worked on bug 257942 UI of the Activity Manager and error handling.

    • Announced the interface at mda.thunderbird and started to get feedback.

    • https://wiki.mozilla.org/User:Emre/tb/activitymanagerInterface is the documentation for Activity Manager interface.
    • Constructing, destructing the binding based on the state attribute cause lifetime problems with XBL. This model used in Download Manager but it is not recommended. We should change it in Activity Manager.
    • Nesting items into richlistitem causes keyboard navigation problems. We should come up with a better solution.
    • Adapting the new error handling mechanism poses challenges. Some progress has been made.


gozer
  • Build

    • Leak testing moved to the main Thunderbird Tinderbox Tree

      • Graph Server support is enabled, needs approval bug 461041
    • Sunbird/Calendar
      • Tinderbox is all green, all platforms, all builds.

      • Build boxes got more disk space
      • l10n repacks are hapenning, except for OS X still bug 459402
  • Systems
    • Replaced failed disk on our Thumper, thank you, Sun!

    • Vancouver server up and ready for business


clarkbw
  • barcelona

    • Lots of good feedback and discussion

    • Good discussions about Address Book and Calendar
  • Address Book
    • Worked more on prototype design
  • Search Results / Message
    • Continuing to iterate the current results view
  • Activity Manager
    • Continued discussions around user interactions
  • Message Reader
    • Worked on Reply / Reply All design

    • Finishing up HTML/Javascript demo of design
  • MoMo Work Week
    • Booked flight


wsmwk


beckley


Penelope
  • With some tweaks to Classic Eudora settings importing, we released the final version of Eudora 8 beta 4
  • A standalone version of Penelope can be installed in Tb 3.0a3, although it’s recommend to use Penelope along with Eudora 8 for maximum functionality and compatibility.


KaiRo


rkent
  • Working on pluggable, scriptable database interface so mork can be replaced by sqlite and other databases.


rebron
  • Targeting launch of SpreadThunderbird this week.

  • Gathered feedback for new web site design, very positive.


sipaq


mkmelin
  • bug 429345 [now awaiting reviews] – indicate account on tab for folder name in tabbed interface (and fix the tab icons)

  • bug 462045 [fixed] – make server.isSecure work for POP/IMAP
  • Some patch-love for abandoned patches, finished bug 235086: add a bit of jitter to the biff-interval


Attendees

asuth beckley bienvenu clarkbw davida dmose emre gozer mkmelin standard8 wsmwk

Mozilla Platform Meeting Minutes: 2008-11-04

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — bsmedberg @ 12:00 am

Platform/2008-11-04

From MozillaWiki

« previous week | index | next week »


Details

  • Tuesday – 11:00am Pacific, 2:00pm Eastern, 19:00 UTC

  • Mozilla Building S – <script> conference room
  • 650-903-0800 or 650-215-1282 x91 Conf# 8605 (US/INTL)
  • 1-800-707-2533 (pin 369) Conf# 8605 (US)
  • irc.mozilla.org #shiretoko for backchannel


Notices / Schedule


Firefox 3.1 Update

  • Places

    • Fsync changes landed, and Ts regression fixed

    • Pushing to get a bunch of other perf fixes in, that were blocked by fsync
    • Privacy preference pane UI change can make slushy freeze
    • Not making 3.1:
      • search open tabs in awesomebar

      • show awesomebar results in content page
      • private browsing bookmarks root


GFX 1.9.1 Update

  • GFX blocking 1.9.1+

  • GFX wanted 1.9.1+
  • (It was tempting to just delete that one line)
  • Cairo 1.8.2 update (released last week) — has some rendering fixes we need; patch ready to go, but got ignored by talos tryservers yesterday (bug 463005) so not sure i fthere’s any performance impact (shouldn’t be)
  • Turning on SSE2 optimizations on win32
  • Maybe also SSE2 on linux, but we have stack alignment issues due to the version of gcc being used; there’s an xpcom patch which helps, but we think it’ll just make the problem less likely to happen but still possible (need 16-byte aligned stacks). Not as big of a deal as win32 though, the expensive rendering is often in the X server.
  • DL fonts access control pieces also today, pending reviews


Layout 1.9.1 Update


Content 1.9.1 Update

  • Content 1.9.1 Bugs

  • XPConnect perf work:
    • peterv’s landing his major work for b2. Some of the changes are already in the tree.
  • Worker Threads:
    • Last large patch to bring the implementation up to spec compliance (or really close to) ready to land.
  • Speculative script loading:
    • Blake has made some progress and is ready to attempt a re-landing once the tree is ready for it.


JS 1.9.1


Mobile 1.9.1 Update


General 1.9.1 Updates

  • offline cache, dcamp:

  • localStorage, honzab:
  • HTML5 drag-drop:


Security


Security Reviews


Roundtable

  • (tchung) See Topcrashes from Beta 1. Particularly needing blocking beta 2 attention:

    • #1, #2, #4, #8

    • #5 & #6 need more investigation
  • Can people please try to stick around after landing patches. Landing something then vanishing before even unit testers have cycled is uncool, particularly on freeze day.

4-November-2008

Mozilla Project Meeting Minutes: 2008-11-03

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — bsmedberg @ 12:00 am

WeeklyUpdates/2008-11-03

From MozillaWiki

« previous week | index | next week »

Meeting Details

  • 1:00pm Pacific time (21:00 UTC until March 8, 2009)

  • Mozilla HQ, 1st floor conference table
  • +1 650 903 0800 x92 Conf# 8600 (US/International)
  • +1 416 848 3114 x92 Conf# 8600 (Canada)
  • +1 800 707 2533 (pin 369) Conf# 8600 (US Toll Free)
  • sip:weeklystatus@mozilla.com from generic SIP clients
  • http://air.mozilla.com/ to watch and listen
  • join irc.mozilla.org #staffmeeting for backchannel

note: all participants are muted automatically; if you want to talk, press *1 to un-mute yourself

TIME CHANGE NOTICE: Daylight Saving Time (DST) ended last Sunday. Meeting time until March 8, 2009 will be 21:00 UTC.

WeeklyUpdate Live: You can watch the weekly meetings live at Air Mozilla You can also view previous meetings from the “on-demand” button on the Air Mozilla player. Meetings will be posted for on-demand consumption shortly after the meeting conclusion.


Friends of the Tree

  • David Tenser writes in, “I’d like to nominate German contributor Abdulkadir Topal, who co-hosted a session with me about SUMO at Mozilla Camp Europe in Barcelona. He added incredible value to the session with his personal experiences with working with the rest of the German Mozilla community on SUMO.”
  • Alex Faaborg wrote, “I would like to nominate Markus Stange mstange@themasta.com for helping us make sure Firefox is polished [| buglist]”
  • Benjamin Smedberg writes, “I’d like to nominate Jim Blandy as a friend of the tree. Jim significantly refactored the spidermonkey build system so that we use the same build system for standalone spidermonkey and the mozilla build, and landed it on Tuesday with minimal disruption.”
  • Murali Nandigama wrote, “I wish to nominate Ed Kelly from Siliconforks for providing help above and beyond his call of duty. Ed is the maintainer of the famous JSCoverage tool which instruments javascript files. For more information on the tool , please visit http://siliconforks.com/jscoverage/ Ed has worked with me over the entire last week and over the week end to modify the code base of JSCoverage tool so that it can instrument the javascript files in Firefox. The javascript notations used inside Firefox are not in strict ECMA 262 conformance. So, none of the standard plugins like Firebug, FirebugcodeCoverage, Venkman etc., would be able to instrument the Firefox javascript files. Ed not only made the required tweaks to the jscoverage source but also added the custom flag that I wanted him to provide ‘–mozilla’ that helps me to automate the instrumentation as well as data collection from the instrumented Firefox test run.
  • Carsten Book (tomcat) wrote in, “i would to nominate William Quiviger (and everyone else involved into planning the Mozilla EU Camp 2008) for doing a stellar Job organizing this Community Event in Barcelona !”

Please send FotT nominations to asa@mozilla.org. This is a great opportunity for the community to recognize those who go above and beyond, so please tell me when you see that happening. Thanks.


Development Updates


Branch work: Firefox 2.0.0.18 / 3.0.4 / Thunderbird 2.0.0.18

  • Firefox 2.0.0.18 and 3.0.4

    • Code froze last Wednesday, a few days late

    • Builds for both releases were available Friday afternoon
    • Scheduled release date was November 12; actual release date a moving target dependent on the QA cycle
  • Major Update
    • Planning a major update after release

    • Aiming for ~2 weeks after release; some fudging might be needed due to the Thanksgiving holiday (mmm, chocolate…)
  • Thunderbird 2.0.0.18
    • Currently scheduled for November 19

    • Highly dependent on Firefox
    • Aiming for about a week after Firefox 2.0.0.18
  • Firefox 2.0.0.19 and 3.0.5
    • Schedules are on the wiki

    • Code freeze is for November 17 at 11:59pm PST
    • Using new short development, long QA cycle
    • Blocker owners were emailed last night


Gecko 1.9.1


Firefox 3.1

  • mozilla-central will be freezing this Tuesday, November 4th at 11:59pm PDT for Firefox 3.1 Beta 2

  • we are expecting to hold a “slushy freeze” until Thursday or Friday; nightly testers, your focus on the Wednesday and Thursday nightly builds will be appreciated!
  • last opportunity for beta 2 string changes is November 6th at 11:59 pm PDT
  • we expect en-US Beta 2 builds to start appearing next Monday, l10n builds on Tuesday
  • after Beta 2 the focus of the front end team will be bugfixes & polish fixes


TB 3

  • Thunderbird Tinderboxen now have bloat and leak tests (Thanks Standard8 & gozer)!

  • Intermediate beta 1 landings in progress.
  • Beta 1 dates:
    • string freeze: Friday, November 14, 23:59 Pacific.

    • code freeze Tuesday November 18, 23:59 Pacific.
  • davida offering free bottle of liquor for whoever gets Chromebug working in Tb
  • MoMo meeting next week (November 10th – 14th) in Mountain View


Mobile

  • Working towards M10 mainly focused on performance

  • Making progress on Windows Mobile
  • Weekly update


IT


Release Engineering

  • new slaves added to m-c pool… more coming online this week

  • see newsgroup post to dev.planning about unused machines on FF2/FF3?
  • unittest now turned on for linux & mac on tracemonkey project branch.
  • Welcome Aki


QA

Firefox 2.0.0.x/3.0.x

  • Triaging 2.0.0.18, 2.0.0.19, 3.0.4 and 3.0.5 bugs [ss, abillings]

  • Testing 2.0.0.18 and 3.0.4 beta candidates including bug fix verification, Smoktests, BFTs, l10n Spot checks, and Updates Tests. [abillings, juanb, tchung, tracy, jmaher]
  • Updated the 3.0.3 top crashes report [ss]
  • Working on schedule for 2.0.0.19 and 3.0.5.[ss]

Firefox 3.1

  • Tracking top issues seen by QA. [tchung]

  • Created a new 3.1 B1 Top Crashes page [ss]
  • Overall status of test planning and test case development
    • Testplan completion: 76%

    • Testcases planned: 762
    • Testcase completion: 44%
  • Feature Testing
    • Session Restore – Several test cases written [marcia]

    • HTML 5 Drag and Drop – 25% more test cases written [jmaher]
    • Script Defer – All test cases have been completed! [jmaher]
  • Reviewed several A11y patches that landed over the last few weeks. Examples.

WebDev testing [stephend]

  • Tested revised functionality of Add to Firefox button

  • Tested Fashion Your Firefox including bug fix verifications

Mobile

  • Made mochitests scripts more streamlined and got them running daily

  • Investigated how to run the XPCshell tests

Test Automation

  • MozMill:

    • Mozmill abspath fixes to Python end. Python end event enhancements. [mikael]

    • Support for running directories of test cases from UI and command line. [mikael]
    • Working on the MozMill output UI [adam]
  • TopSite Test in various Configurations is now running continuously to find crashes, assertions and Leaks [tomcat]
  • JS Tests are running now continuously on all platforms for regression tracking [tomcat]
  • Code Coverage: Completed the measurement of coverage for JS code. It is ~33% when just starting the browser, going to a few web sites, and then closing the browser. The JS code coverage after running the Mochitests is ~50%. Next up is measuring the coverage for litmus tests. After that it will be measuring coverage fro XPCShell tests and doing a brown bag presentation about the results so far [mnandigama]

Community

  • The ISCB “Display” issue for November 2008 was released last week, containing Marco’s article on the advantages and ways to participate in open-source accessibility projects. [marcoz]

  • Released QMO2 Beta, the along anticipated release with improved events, projects, forums and helpful docs. Check it out!


Security

  • no update


Marketing/PR

PR

Events

  • MexicoWeb 2.0, Cancun, Mexico, Nov. 3 – 4: Chofmann and John Resig attending with Mozilla Mexico community – underway!

  • Nonprofit Software Development Summit, Nov. 17 – 19, Oakland, CA: Please check it out if you are local!
  • Green Festival, San Francisco, Nov. 14 – 16: Mozilla will have passes for 200 people. Please sign up to help!
  • Mashup Camp, Mountain View, Nov. 17 – 19: Dave Camp is participating in a session on persistence.
  • FOSSCamp, Mountain View, Dec. 5 – 6: Organized by Ubuntu folks. Please check it out if you are local!
  • Next events triage will be held on November 5th, 2008 at 10am PDT. 650-903-0800, ext 92, id 248

Impact Mozilla

  • Over 300 submissions received – wow!

  • Great participation among MBA student groups and Mozilla community members
  • We’ll be announcing the ten finalists tomorrow
  • Stay tuned at the Impact blog


Support


Metrics

  • Huge Milestone — 20% worldwide market share became official. Read more. Congratulations to all!

  • Continued share growth in an increasingly competitive environment is great to see.


Evangelism

  • Documentation for Firefox 3.1 continues

    • Storage API reference documentation updated

    • New how-to article: Executing a statement asynchronously
    • All modified interfaces that are already documented have been updated for Firefox 3.1
  • MDC upgraded to MindTouch Deki 8.08.1a to fix regressions
  • Had a good meeting with the CTO of MindTouch to discuss enhancements to Deki we’d like to see in their next release
  • Starting to collect technology and information to message for Beta 2
  • Rey Bango & Paul Roget will be reaching out to add-on developers to help give them direction on migrating add-ons to Firefox 3.1


Labs


Webdev, Add-ons, AMO

  • Today is Neil Lee’s first day! Neil will be working on web design and user experience for webdev projects. His first project will be redesigning the Socorro crash reporter, and he will be assuming design responsibilities for addons.mozilla.org in the near future. Welcome, Neil.

  • We will be having a webdev on-site next week Nov. 10-14
  • AMO
  • Socorro
    • Filesystem changes staged this week, we are 1 week behind. More info in bug 458798

    • Server status page updates pushed as well as some other graphs using flot.
    • Enabled 100% processing for non-release builds in Socorro (so betas, rc’s, pre’s, alphas — they will not be throttled)
    • Neil Lee is looking at usability and user experience in bug 411428


L10n

  • Added six new languages to Firefox 3.0.4

    • Bulgarian

    • Esperanto
    • Estonian
    • Latvian
    • Occitan
    • Welsh

Read this blog post for more information.

  • Gandalf’s “Mozilla Community Theme” is nearing completion. Have you read about this? Are you a community who wants to have a Mozilla Community Theme for your local website? Read here for more information.
  • Silme code was introduced at the Barcelona Developer Day. Gandalf’s slides from the conference explain Silme in great detail.
  • Calling all localizers to participate in the localization of Firefox 3.1 beta 2. See Pike’s post to dev-l10n.

    • slushy string freeze Thursday, Oct 30

    • slushy code freeze Tuesday, Nov 4
    • string freeze Thursday, Nov 6
    • code freeze Tuesday, Nov 11


Foundation Updates

  • The Mozilla Foundation team met in Mountain View October 28-30 to plan for the upcoming year, and also did a Foundation brown-bag presentation for people in the Mountain View office. (We plan to post video of this later.)

  • Mark Surman attended and blogged about MozCamp EU.


Roundtable


Other Business

Powered by WordPress