- Fx25 has been released!
- Next merge is 2013-12-09
Topics for This Week
- Pushing to get core APK-based UX landed by Dec 6th. High priority for WebRT and Android teams.
- Second Screen
- Starting to look at real uses cases. A WebAPI is being proposed for second-screen too. We are looking to support the initiative and WesJ will be on point for that from Mozilla.
Friends of the Mobile Team
Give a shoutout/thanks to people for helping fix and test bugs. Make sure friends also get awarded a badge.
- Tom Schuster [:evilpie] filed and fixed bug 928671 – Respect browser.urlbar.trimURLs on Android
- ckitching fixed two favicon-related crashes – bug 929010 and bug 929025
- Not exactly a fennec contribution, but jdm made a neat mentor dashboard: http://www.joshmatthews.net/mentorwatch/ (you can submit issues/pull requests on github)
- What did you do last week?
- What are working on this week?
- Anything blocking you?
Please keep your update to under 2 minutes!
- bug 930916 – added a function to PaintedSurface to get the content area as a data URI
- bug 732971 – landed on inbound now, should help clean up some code in browser.js
- mostly working on metro stuff now
- Past week
- Fixed bug 717878 – Content in input fields can not be scrolled when value exceeds visible width
- Helped Carl Wallace with his extension issues
- Found and fixed bug 930627 – Implement __gnu_Unwind_Find_exidx in custom linker
- Worked on bug 909974 – Background thread hang monitoring
- Was “Compositor thread hang monitoring/telemetry”, but splitting telemetry into different bug
- “Monitoring” part waiting for review
- Next week
- More hang monitoring
- Last week: Graphics and Layout work week, worked on checker boarding detection on B2G
- This week: Finish up and validate checker board detection in B2G so that progressive tile rendering may be enabled.
- Bug 924968 – Pinning, unpinning, and editing top sites thumbnails are slow
- In progress
- Bug 853045 – Add a mach command creating Eclipse projects for mobile/android
- Bug 929865 – Change remaining org.mozilla.fennec_$USER sources to use the org.mozilla.gecko package
- Bug 905703 – Don’t pre-process build/mobile/robocop/*java.in and mobile/android/base/tests/*java.in
- Moar Split action bar work – trying to align the popup with anchor at the bottom.
- Attended Facebook’s Mobile@Scale event
- Working on slides for DroidCon India
- Created a demo app – http://cl.ly/image/2G2S3d37253n
- Exploring using a single View for TwoLinePageRow
- Last week
- On vacation.
- Landed the icon grid intent picker for downloads
- This week
- Digging out of bug mail
- Fallout/refinements to intent chooser. Documenting stuff.
- Droidcon talk: https://speakerdeck.com/lucasr/bringing-firefox-to-android
- bug 918007 – Disable toolbar elements (menu, back, forward) while in editing mode on tablets
- bug 925722 – Search suggestions require an extra tap to hit
- Tons of patch reviews
- Work a bit on bug 917891
- More Fx26 bug fixing, if necessary
- More patch reviews
- Opensearch (bug 852608)
- f+ on basic version
- restructuring for context menus
- handle multiple search engines
- UI Telemetry probes bug 932092
- currently, no collection of UI data
- Mobile notes: https://mobile.etherpad.mozilla.org/24
- similarly, Australis notes: https://firefox-ux.etherpad.mozilla.org/measuringaustralis?
- China feature triaging: https://mobile.etherpad.mozilla.org/25
- Attended Droidcon
- Session at MozFest: http://blog.margaretleibovic.com/post/65456653157/mozfest-recap-building-your-first-mobile-web-app
- Post-travel catch-up
- In Progress/Next
- Some more dynamic snippets collaboration
- Help ibarlow with about:home context menu cleanup – bug 931021
- Revisit home page customization APIs
- bug 870925: (r?) Add submissions info to FHR documents
- bug 910859: Bootstrap new UI testing framework
- Diffing against lucasr’s patch on github (https://github.com/mcomella/new-ui-testing/commits/mcomella)
- FHR architecture docs
- bug 926430 — a whole bunch of stuff to do with thumbnail display on top sites. Now with one fewer DB write on startup!
- Landed search unfiltering for FHR (bug 925517, bug 925521).
- Some more FHR uplifts (e.g., bug 922694).
- Discussion re FHR orphans.
- Misc SUMO questions and bugs.
- Misc reviews and such.
- Indic locales?
- working on |mach projectify| with bnicholson. Some progress (bug 905703, WIP on bug 853045), but some setbacks (bug 929865).
- looking at running background JUnit 3 tests on buildbots. Information updated at bug 919627.
- first demo of Sync 1.1 authenticated via FxAccounts: watch at https://vimeo.com/77667079. (ibarlow: this UI is temporary!)
- dealing with reviews on various geckoview stuff I did last week
- bug 875750 – Implement <input type=”color”>: Android widget/color picker
- looking at using the webrtc tab streaming for second screen
- DroidconUK review
- More work on GeckoView patches
- Unbitrotting second-screen patches
- Helping with UI Telemetry
- Watching some performance data
- Kicking off second screen work (mobile –> tv)
- Home page enhancements
- Quickshare enhancements
- Add support for multiple providers
- Add support for QS in contextual menus
- Expect designs next week!
- Split action bar
- putting implementation on hold to explore other UI alternatives
- Form input UX enhancements
- Mobile commerce
- What else could we do?
- Kid browsing v1
- Tablet refresh scoping
Initial designs of PDF.js (in progress) that I presented this week to the UX team
- Iterate on feedback
- Continue to refine/fix known issues
- Add several of the missing pieces
- Handling large files
- Landscape mode
- Page number related details
- Interacting with content
- and many more…
It’s an early draft, quite rough on the edges right now, but I’m happy to talk through current designs and discuss possibilities with anyone interested
All hands on deck! What is looking achievable for Fx28 (GA 03/04)?
Project Pages that are Engineering WIP
- Geolocation services inc opt-in menu item requiring permissions bump
- Reflow on zoom (double tap) by default
- Gecko Webview phase 1
- API: Push notifications
- API: Contacts <== Disabled, will require permissions bump
- Second screen: Chromecast support
- Added locale: Indonesian (id) (Fx 30?)
- Added locale: Lithuanian (lt) (Fx 30?)
- Added locale: Hebrew (he) (Fx 31?) Dependent on RTL support
- Added locale: Arabic (ar) (Fx 31? Dependent on RTL support)
Project Pages are Ready
- Dynamic snippets add-on
- About:home – Add-ons can add a page
- Added locale: Canadian (en-CA)
- Privileged apps support
- Directional game console navigation
- Set Top Box optimization
- Ability for add-ons to customize sound effects to browser actions
Project Pages Need UX Info
- Multiple profile support
- Preferred web content language
- Firefox flavour: Kinderfox
- Ability for add-ons to customize sound effects
- Mobile wallet
Project Pages Need General Info
- PDF.js support
- Async subframe scrolling (platform)
- Changing default search engines by locale
- Second screen support (needs creative brief)
- API: Web activities
- API: Alarm
- API: Third-party Cloud storage
- API: Gamepad
- API: Bluetooth
- WebRTC implementation guidance
- Firefox flavour: Devfox (needs creative brief)
- Firefox flavour: Firefox for Enterprise (needs creative brief)
- Non-multilang build localizations
- Queue (needs creative brief)
- EOL official Android 2.2 support
- Firefox flavour: Silverfox (needs creative brief)
- Send to device
- Spatial Navigation (SNAV)
- Multi-screen support (needs creative brief)
- Location-based search engines
- Data bandwidth monitoring
- Data bandwidth optimization (Necko)
- Support for hybrid devices
- Settable default search for private browsing mode – not convinced on this one
Pat on the back
- Our crash rate dropped from 2.4 crashes per 100 ADUs to 1.6 per 100 over the last year.
- Test-Day Friday (new about:home)
- 26.0b1 hopefully on track
- Watching early crash data
- Top crash is bug 900033 – crash in mozilla::layers::AsyncCompositionManager::TransformScrollableLayer @ libEGL_MRVL.so
No audible updates, we are watching the release closely
- Wednesdays – 9:30am Pacific, 12:30pm Eastern, 16:30 UTC
- Dial-in: conference# 99998
- US/International: +1 650 903 0800 x92 Conf# 99998
- US toll free: +1 800 707 2533 (pin 369) Conf# 99998
- Canada: +1 416 848 3114 x92 Conf# 99998
- FR/Paris: +33 1 44 79 34 80, x92 Conf# 99998
- irc.mozilla.org #mobile for backchannel
- Mobile Vidyo Room