Meeting Notes

31-October-2013

Mobile: 2013-10-30

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 12:00 am

Schedule

  • Fx25 has been released!

  • Next merge is 2013-12-09

Topics for This Week

WebRT
Pushing to get core APK-based UX landed by Dec 6th. High priority for WebRT and Android teams.

Second Screen
Starting to look at real uses cases. A WebAPI is being proposed for second-screen too. We are looking to support the initiative and WesJ will be on point for that from Mozilla.

Friends of the Mobile Team

Give a shoutout/thanks to people for helping fix and test bugs. Make sure friends also get awarded a badge.

Stand ups

Suggested format:

  • What did you do last week?

  • What are working on this week?
  • Anything blocking you?

Please keep your update to under 2 minutes!

Kats

  • bug 930916 – added a function to PaintedSurface to get the content area as a data URI

  • bug 732971 – landed on inbound now, should help clean up some code in browser.js
  • mostly working on metro stuff now

JChen

  • Past week

    • Fixed bug 717878 – Content in input fields can not be scrolled when value exceeds visible width

    • Helped Carl Wallace with his extension issues
      • Found and fixed bug 930627 – Implement __gnu_Unwind_Find_exidx in custom linker
    • Worked on bug 909974 – Background thread hang monitoring
      • Was “Compositor thread hang monitoring/telemetry”, but splitting telemetry into different bug

      • “Monitoring” part waiting for review
    • Reviews
    • Interviews
  • Next week
    • More hang monitoring

Randall Barker

  • Last week: Graphics and Layout work week, worked on checker boarding detection on B2G

  • This week: Finish up and validate checker board detection in B2G so that progressive tile rendering may be enabled.

Brian N

  • Done

    • Bug 924968 – Pinning, unpinning, and editing top sites thumbnails are slow
  • In progress
    • Bug 853045 – Add a mach command creating Eclipse projects for mobile/android

    • Bug 929865 – Change remaining org.mozilla.fennec_$USER sources to use the org.mozilla.gecko package
    • Bug 905703 – Don’t pre-process build/mobile/robocop/*java.in and mobile/android/base/tests/*java.in

Sriram

  • Moar Split action bar work – trying to align the popup with anchor at the bottom.

  • Attended Facebook’s Mobile@Scale event
  • Working on slides for DroidCon India
  • Exploring using a single View for TwoLinePageRow

WesJ

  • Last week

    • On vacation.

    • Landed the icon grid intent picker for downloads
  • This week
    • Digging out of bug mail

    • Fallout/refinements to intent chooser. Documenting stuff.

LucasR

Last week

Next week

  • Work a bit on bug 917891

  • More Fx26 bug fixing, if necessary
  • More patch reviews

liuche

Margaret

  • In Progress/Next

    • Some more dynamic snippets collaboration

    • Help ibarlow with about:home context menu cleanup – bug 931021
    • Revisit home page customization APIs

mcomella

  • Past

    • bug 915918: If a different tab is selected in the background while in editing mode, URL being entered will open in that new tab

    • bug 924480: With talkback, Swiping right from toolbar brings you to content, event when about:home is visible
      • Uplift to 26?
  • Present
  • Future

RNewman

  • bug 926430 — a whole bunch of stuff to do with thumbnail display on top sites. Now with one fewer DB write on startup!

  • Landed search unfiltering for FHR (bug 925517, bug 925521).
  • Some more FHR uplifts (e.g., bug 922694).
  • Discussion re FHR orphans.
  • Misc SUMO questions and bugs.
  • Misc reviews and such.
  • Indic locales?

nalexander

  • looking at running background JUnit 3 tests on buildbots. Information updated at bug 919627.

BLassey

  • dealing with reviews on various geckoview stuff I did last week

  • bug 875750 – Implement <input type=”color”>: Android widget/color picker
  • looking at using the webrtc tab streaming for second screen

MFinkle

  • DroidconUK review

  • More work on GeckoView patches
  • Unbitrotting second-screen patches
  • Helping with UI Telemetry
  • Watching some performance data

Ian Barlow

This week

  • Kicking off second screen work (mobile –> tv)

  • Home page enhancements
  • Quickshare enhancements
    • Add support for multiple providers

    • Add support for QS in contextual menus
    • Expect designs next week!
  • Split action bar
    • putting implementation on hold to explore other UI alternatives

Up next

  • Form input UX enhancements

    • Mobile commerce

    • What else could we do?
  • Kid browsing v1
  • Tablet refresh scoping

Arun

Initial designs of PDF.js (in progress) that I presented this week to the UX team
[1]

Next…

  • Iterate on feedback

  • Continue to refine/fix known issues
  • Add several of the missing pieces
    • Handling large files

    • Landscape mode
    • Page number related details
    • Interacting with content
    • and many more…

It’s an early draft, quite rough on the edges right now, but I’m happy to talk through current designs and discuss possibilities with anyone interested :)

Feature Focus

All hands on deck! What is looking achievable for Fx28 (GA 03/04)?

Project Pages that are Engineering WIP

Project Pages are Ready

Project Pages Need UX Info

Project Pages Need General Info

Round Table

Pat on the back

  • Our crash rate dropped from 2.4 crashes per 100 ADUs to 1.6 per 100 over the last year.

QA

  • Test-Day Friday (new about:home)

  • 26.0b1 hopefully on track
  • Watching early crash data
    • Top crash is bug 900033 – crash in mozilla::layers::AsyncCompositionManager::TransformScrollableLayer @ libEGL_MRVL.so

User Advocacy

No audible updates, we are watching the release closely


Details

  • Wednesdays – 9:30am Pacific, 12:30pm Eastern, 16:30 UTC

  • Dial-in: conference# 99998
    • US/International: +1 650 903 0800 x92 Conf# 99998

    • US toll free: +1 800 707 2533 (pin 369) Conf# 99998
    • Canada: +1 416 848 3114 x92 Conf# 99998
    • FR/Paris: +33 1 44 79 34 80, x92 Conf# 99998
  • irc.mozilla.org #mobile for backchannel
  • Mobile Vidyo Room

Firefox/Gecko Delivery Planning: 2013-10-30

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 12:00 am

Schedule & Progress onUpcoming Releases

Firefox Desktop & Platform

Current Releases

  • No known issues at this time, release updates are currently throttled to 10%

Beta (26)

Aurora (27)

  • Unthrottling updates to FF27 on Friday

  • Mixed content warning will no longer show on a HTTP site (bug 909920)

Nightly (28)

  • as you can see, we have a new version on Nightly, please use the ‘feature’ keyword on anything you want early attention on

  • Network “seer” (predictive pre-opening of connections/DNS/etc.) has landed (bug 881804)

Firefox Metro

  • Team started Iteration #18 which runs until Monday November 8.

  • APZC Development – Stephen Pohl and Kartikaya Gupta are now on Metro working on APZC: View Bug.
  • Profile Sharing Features have been added to the Backlog: View Bugs.
    • Legal review has cleared development: View Bug.

    • Completion of features in time for uplift to Aurora 28 cannot be determined at this time as development has just begun.
  • To date, 28 bugs in the Backlog are blocking uplift to Aurora 28: View Bugs.
  • To date, 20 bugs in Iteration #18 are blocking uplift to Aurora 28: View Bugs.

ID Summary Priority Status
886321 Story – APZC metrofx issue tracking P1 ASSIGNED
801187 Change – Theme tab-modal prompts to look good in Metro P1 ASSIGNED
855434 Story – Non HTML5 specific form elements should work P1 ASSIGNED
910223 Story – Firefox Start Transition(s) P1 ASSIGNED
840855 Defect – Dialogs intermittently fail to accept touch input P2 ASSIGNED
922121 Defect – tap-drag on nav bar input invokes scroll of content P2 ASSIGNED
927239 Defect – Context menu items keep highlight after being selected P2 ASSIGNED
929256 Defect – Dragging form select scrolls content P2 ASSIGNED
926036 Defect – Long strings in about panel are cut instead of wrapping P2 ASSIGNED
928201 Defect – Download app bar displays ‘Run’ for non-executable content P2 ASSIGNED
924911 Story – Profile switching main task: Change View on Desktop feature to be switch to Desktop feature P2 ASSIGNED
924914 Story – Profile switching second main task: Add View on Metro feature to Desktop Firefox P2 ASSIGNED
918203 Defect – Several seconds delay before adjusting when transitioning into filled view P2 ASSIGNED
924894 Story – Split prefs files up for Metro and Desktop when running in the same profile P2 ASSIGNED
931846 Story – Change startup cache location for Metro Firefox P2 ASSIGNED
919232 Defect – arrow keys not working in form autofill popup P2 ASSIGNED
922851 Defect – Moving browser to larger secondary display results in clipping / mis-sizing P2 ASSIGNED
931115 Defect – Cache dominant color data for start tiles P2 ASSIGNED
903426 Change – In-content crash reporter prompt P2 ASSIGNED
833192 Story – Hi DPI scaling for full HD screens of 12.5″ or smaller P1 RESOLVED
831910 Story – Use the Auto-Complete Screen P1 RESOLVED
925457 Defect – Tap that crosses boundary between text field and app bar pushes Firefox Start content up the screen rather than overlaying P2 RESOLVED

Firefox Mobile

Current Releases

We just shipped Fx25 \o/

Beta (26)

Features

Aurora (27)

Features

Nightly (28)

Features

Developer Tools

  • Outbound – a quiet week but the Aurora uplift post is coming next week, and a post on the WebGL Shader Editor the following week.

  • Ability to push certified apps from the App Manager is on it’s way to Beta bug 927108
  • Recent landings in 27:
    • CodeMirror is everywhere, and Orion is no longer used.

    • Edit as HTML bug 895561
    • Preview Images in Inspector bug 765105
    • -jsdebugger flag for running mochitests bug 895471

Feedback Summary

Desktop

Monitoring Firefox 25 release

Mobile

Monitoring Firefox 25 release

User Experience

Market Insights from the Market Strategy Team

Desktop / Platform

  • Study: 75% of businesses are already exploring Internet of Things. Only 6% of those interviewed think of it as hype, and 94% believe IoT will have a significant impact in the next 3 years.[1]
  • Li-Fi, also known as visible light communications (VLC) using LED light bulb can produce data speeds of up to 150 Mbps. [2]

Google

  • Google+ has 300 million monthly active users, up from 190 million in May. [3]

Microsoft

  • Windows sales to makers of consumer PCs declined 22% in the last quarter from a year ago, while sales of Windows for professional PCs rose 6%. Commercial revenue grew 10%. [4]

Amazon

  • Amazon’s Matchbook service now live, works with over 70,000 books for $3 or less. [5]

Marketing, Press & Public Reaction

~~ New Items ~~
Happy Birthday Firefox! (New): Firefox turns 9 next week on November 9th. To help celebrate the Engagement Team is launching a campaign to share our accomplishments with our users and industry press via a blog post, snippets, email, and social. Get ready to wish Firefox a happy golden birthday! [PR Team, User Engagement]

~~ Headlines & Accomplishments ~~
Consumer Value Proposition Discovery: This one has been on this list for a while and is reaching another milestone this week. The survey will be signed off on this Wednesday and translation will start for the regions where this will launch: Russia, Brazil, India, Indonesia, US, and Germany. [Laura]

Search Engine Optimization: Our first measurement to gauge how this is working was last week. The conclusion was that two weeks is just too early to judge SEO results. The next check-in will happen in another two weeks looking at a month worth of Data [Laura, Chris More, Jen B, Global Strategies]

~~ Key Next Steps ~~
Brazil Desktop Campaign: We’re currently designing a campaign to coincide with the launch of Firefox OS in Brazil in order to leverage our partner’s spend in this region since Firefox will “be in the air.” This week we’ll be deciding on campaign concepts that were proposed last week. [Kristin, Laura & NoBox]

Australis Marketing Launch: The launch strategy has been finalized across engagement and we’re now in “wave” planning mode (a “wave” is a name for a large cross-engagement marketing campaign). This week the Engagement Leads will review the Wave RASCI and then we can start cracking. [Laura]

Indonesia Desktop Campaign: Viking from the Indonesia campaign is driving a large-scale national campaign to help increase usage levels within Indonesia within Q4. Next step: decide on a launch date and then launch the thing! [Gen, Viking]

Questions, Comments, FYI


Planning Meeting Details

  • Wednesdays – 11:00am PT, 18:00 UTC

  • Mountain View Offices: Warp Core Conference Room
  • Toronto Offices: Finch Conference Room
  • irc.mozilla.org #planning for backchannel
  • (the developer meeting takes place on Tuesdays)

Video/Teleconference Details – NEW

  • 650-903-0800 or 650-215-1282 x92 Conf# 99696 (US/INTL)

  • 1-800-707-2533 (pin 369) Conf# 99696 (US)
  • Vidyo Room: ProductCoordination
  • Vidyo Guest URL

30-October-2013

Firefox Status: 2013-10-29

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 12:00 am

General Topics

  • It’s release day!

  • A warning that your OS X Mavericks build may stop/slow when the computer is locked/inactive

Friends of the Firefox team

Give a shoutout/thanks to people for helping fix and test bugs.

  • Firefox 25 New Contributors

  • Thanks to Amod (:greatwarrior) for improving SessionStore by fixing bug 758138! (ttaubert)
  • Thanks to Felix H. Dahlke for working on multiple Australis related bug (bug 898783 and bug 879982) along with other non-Australis related bugs. (jaws)
  • Thanks to Tareq Khandaker for cleaning up a Popup Notification test to share more code in bug 927680 (MattN)

Project Updates

Australis

  • Windows XP TART results are now neutralized with the final blow from bug 921038

  • mconley is working with jrmuizel to reproduce and debug the OS X TART regression now (that’s the last one).
  • Bug tracking: http://screencast.com/t/9dT8qeXkv
    • Need to do a triage this week of the P3/P4/P5 bugs as they are now dwarfing the P1/P2 counts.

Thumbnailing

Foreground thumbnailing

  • feedback+’ed, working on new patch: bug 809056 – reduce thumbnailing impact when there are no thumbnail service consumers

Background thumbnailing

  • Landed patch on 27 to enable on beta and release (see bug 927688). Decided not to uplift to Aurora/26. It’ll just ride the trains from starting from 27.

  • in patch-review cycle: bug 902755 – Deadlock in mozilla::ipc::GeckoChildProcessHost::LaunchAndWaitForProcessHandle after turning on new tab page thumbnails
  • filed: Bug 929742 – FX_THUMBNAILS_BG_CAPTURE_DONE_REASON_2 not showing up in dashboard

SessionStore

  • bug 899276 – Don’t collect/save private tabs

  • bug 919835 – e10s support for state collection (sync) landed on inbound
  • bug 930202 – Restoring during async collection can cause problems
  • bug 930901 – Clean up and modularize SessionStore code a little more
  • bug 930967 – Make tabs broadcast its state asynchronously when it changes
  • bug 928335 – Restore Previous Session menu option is still enabled after Restoring Previous Session

  • bug 928630 – Selected tab loads about:home when restoring a session
  • bug 929849 – Tabs won’t close (on BSD and PowerPC)

e10s

  • bug 922756 Windows process sandboxing landed (bbondy)

  • bug 919835 Session Restore landed on inbound (billm)
  • bug 930967 Follow-up improvements to session data collection (ttaubert)
  • bug 931534 back/forward dropdowns using cpows (billm)
  • bug 931421 Enable useGlobalHistory for docshells in the child process (billm)
  • bug 897061 Form autocomplete in progress (felipe)
  • bug 932142 Tracking bug for browser-chrome e10s work (markh)
  • bug 930788 Video DownloadHelper compat investigation (evilpie)
  • bug 930787 AdBlock Plus compat investigation (billm)

QA

  • please use “feature” keyword on anything that is a new feature or even a major rework/refactoring of existing features.

  • I’ve been heavily triaging Fx27 fixed bugs with verifyme or [qa-]. If you feel I incorrectly marked a bug [qa-], please remove that whiteboard note, then add the verifyme keyword with comment for steps to reproduce.
  • rotating to Anthony Hughes for Fx28 on Nightly.

Stand ups

Suggested format:

  • What did you do last week?

  • What are working on this week?
  • Anything blocking you?

Please keep your update to under 1 minute!

gavin

(gavin’s Status Board)

paolo

(paolo’s Status Board)

mak

(marco’s Status Board)

enn

(Neil’s Status Board)

felipe

(felipe’s Status Board)

mano

(Mano’s Status Board)

ttaubert

(Tim’s Status Board)

adw

(Drew’s Status Board)

markh

(Mark’s Status Board)

smacleod

(Steven’s Status Board)

dolske

(dolske’s Status Board)

mconley

(Mike’s Status Board)

mikedeboer

(Mike’s Status Board)

gijs

(gijs’ Status Board)

Unfocused

(Blair’s Status Board)

MattN

(MattN’s Status Board)

jaws

(jaws’s Status Board)

mixedpuppy

(mixedpuppy’s Status Board)


Details

  • Tuesdays – 10:00am Pacific, 1:00pm Eastern, 17:00 UTC

  • Handy local meeting time link
  • Dial-in: conference# 91337
    • US/International: +1 650 903 0800 x92 Conf# 91337

    • US toll free: +1 800 707 2533 (pin 369) Conf# 91337
    • Canada: +1 416 848 3114 x92 Conf# 91337
    • FR/Paris: +33 1 44 79 34 80, x92 Conf# 91337
  • irc.mozilla.org #fx-team for backchannel
  • “Firefox” Vidyo Room

SeaMonkey: 2013-10-29

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 12:00 am

Agenda

  • Who’s taking minutes? -> mcsmurf

  • Nominees for Friends of the Fish Tank:
    • jcranmer for fixing/repairing the comm-central build system when it breaks

Action Items

(who needs to do what that hasn’t been recorded in a bug)
We should assign people to the open items.

NEW

OPEN

CLOSED

Status of the SeaMonkey Buildbot Master and Tree

  • We are perma-red and perma-orange on comm-central and comm-aurora due to not having a recent enough version of Python (or if we do, the build scripts aren’t finding them).

    • On trunk Linux and OSX trunk builds are perma-red. Windows en-US builds are being successfully compiled but tests are not working due to a dependency on python 2.7.3.

    • bug 908090 ImportError: No module named json, on SeaMonkey Linux/Windows (all) test runs, due to (still) using Python 2.5. We do have python 2.7 installed but our build system is picking up python 2.5 instead.
    • pymake is failing with “invalid syntax” again because of an outdated Python.
    • Priority on fixing this and l10n repacks after 2.22 release.(ETA 29th October 2013)
  • No langpacks since 29th August on trunk. Needs investigating.
    • Windows and Mac trunk langpacks directories have been removed on the FTP server, maybe for lack of recent XPIs (later than 2.20a1). Latest Linux langpacks are dated 29 August. Callek told Tonymec on IRC he has a hunch about why but more pressing things to do first.

    • In Bug 902876 Comment 12 Mcsmurf is waiting for feedback from the build team on how to proceed.
    • Trunk, Aurora and Beta TBPLs are far more orange (or even red) than green; at the top of Aurora and Beta TBPLs there is a link to mozilla.org::ServerOps:DCOps bug 870207 which is RESOLVED WONTFIX since June. SeaMonkey::RelEng bug 884454 has been opened as a followup.
  • bug 930981 breaks building of SeaMonkey/Chatzilla on trunk, should be fixed soon
  • Buildmaster is up and running.
    • Callek is hand-approving requests for CLOSED TREE landings until he gets things stable enough to reopen the tree.
  • bug 740633 set up seamonkey HPs in scl3. Hardware installed and iLO configured. CentOS 6.3 installed.
  • comm-* will be building out of mozilla-* eventually (bug 648979 etc.). Jcrammer is working on this.

Release Train

  • SeaMonkey 2.22 beta 1 has been released on October 21, 2013.

  • SeaMonkey 2.22 beta 2 has been released on October 25, 2013.
  • SeaMonkey 2.22 final is expected to be released October 29, 2013.

Extensions and Plugins Compatibility Tracking

  • Featured Theme: GNOMErunner/GTK Revived by Exalm. This is a continuation of GNOMErunner/GTK theme that works with SeaMonkey 2.19 Preview Image

  • Featured extension: Lightbird by Exalm .This provides a standalone calendar UI for Lightning. So you’ll need to have Lightning installed as well.
    • Ratty is in discussions with the author to see if any of his code can be ported to the Seamonkey integration code in Lightning.

  • Future hosting/support of add-ons for non-Firefox applications on AMO apparently is in question:
  • See Basics page. Please only list current changes here.
  • Addon Compatibility Listings
  • bug 888478 DOM Inspector could not be installed.
    • The Windows version of SeaMonkey 2.21 is affected but not Linux. The install.rdf is missing in affected builds. The last SeaMonkey 2.23 nightly build (before uplift to 2.24) does not seem to be affected possibly because of the other build changes during that cycle (bug 914560).
  • There are now Lightning versions for both SM 2.20 (Lightning 2.5b2) and SM 2.21 betas (Lightning 2.6b1) available on AMO.
    • Might need to point out in release notes that users needs to install the Lightning beta versions for the SeaMonkey releases (as Lightning follows Thunderbird 17.0.x release schedule)

    • Problem: Linking to https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/lightning/versions/ will provide users with versions that do not put them on the addons beta update channel; also linking to a specific version would need updating with every release
    • Linking to https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/lightning/#beta-channel does not jump to the correct page position as addons.mozilla.org loads the user comments for the addon after pageload. So it first moves to the correct position (page anchor) and after that it loads the user comments
  • Our build team needs to automate DOMI branch selection rather than having to tweak the client.py every 6 weeks. bug 763506
  • Some discussion on the new marketplace addons page happened; it’s not clear yet where SeaMonkey and Thunderbird addons will be hosted in the future (probably not on the new marketplace page)
  • Tb/Sm QuickFolders development version 3.12beta2 released 2013-09-18 includes among other things “numerous SeaMonkey bugfixes” which aren’t yet in the “stable” version 3.12 — or in the beta1 for that matter. Since then a beta3 has already been issued, and on September 25 a “3.12.1 maintenance release with important bugfixes” whose release notes don’t explicitly mention SeaMonkey (but the same “SeaMonkey bugfixes” are probably included).
  • Beta version 3.7pre20131013 of Nightly Tester Tools (supporting display of both mozilla-central and comm-central changesets) has been released just before the meeting. A release 3.7 seems imminent. Stay tuned to this channel, more news will appear as we get them.

2.x (Last, Current, Next)

  • [From a previous meeting:] There is a problem with the metrics server, so no current data is available

  • See Basics page for the usual reminders.

2.21

open tracking (0)
tracking requests (0)
targeted (0)
fixed (16)

2.Next

  • Current issues:

    • [MailNews] Multiple issues with HTML signatures have been reported. SeaMonkey 2.21 and Thunderbird 24.0 are experiencing fallout from making signatures opaque (bug 855135, bug 855684). Printing of signatures is broken (bug 920997). This was caused by Core bug 700003. Some Thunderbird users don’t like their entire signature being grayed out (bug 917906). Some signatures may be grayed more than once (bug 929006, bug 931484).

      • All fixed!
  • Current breakages:
    • [mozilla-central] bug 856270 Update nsEditorSpellCheck to use nsIContentPrefService2.

      • This broke comm-central in various ways:

      • Core bug 887010 InlineSpellChecker.addDictionaryListToMenu fails if called straight after InlineSpellChecker.enabled is set to true (and no async work around).
  • Mozilla-central bugs that affect us:
    • Note: Please file bugs if you notice any landing on mozilla-central that might break us. Please don’t depend on Ratty noticing such landings.

    • A lot of these bugs are due to mozilla-central switching from synchronous APIs to Asynchronous APIs.
    • bug 831208 (asyncContentPrefsUse) Refactor asyncContentPrefs consumers to use the async API. Tracked in:
      • bug 909093 Update SeaMonkey to use nsIContentPrefService2. Mcsmurf is currently working on this.
    • bug 566746 (asyncFormHistory) Form history should use asynchronous storage API. Tracked in:
      • bug 912031 Use Asynchronous FormHistory.jsm in place of nsIFormHistory2 in Suite.
    • bug 769764 move proxy resolution to separate thread and remove sync api. Tracked in:
      • MailNews bug 791645 Rewrite calls to synchronous nsIProtocolProxyService::DeprecatedBlockingResolve with Async code before DeprecatedBlockingResolve disappears as well.
    • bug 793634 Force builds to be compatible with gtk 2.18/glib 2.22. Tracked in:
    • bug 795144 default –disable-gnomeui icon theme support
      • porting bug needed for the two configure.in changesets? Changes could be folded into bug 794772 above. *** IanN and Ewong are looking into this..
    • bug 627699 Port GTK2 to GTK3. Tracked in:
      • bug 882036 Port GTK2 to GTK3 – SeaMonkey Part.

      • A Red Hat person seems to be working on the GTK3 integration.
    • bug 846635 Use asynchronous getCharsetForURI in getShortcutOrURI. bug 834543 Add asynchronous version of setCharsetForURI and getCharsetForURI. Tracked in:
      • bug 896947 Use asynchronous version of setCharsetForURI and getCharsetForURI in getShortcutOrURI and other places.
    • bug 825588 Asynchronous JavaScript API for downloads and bug 851471 Decommission nsIDownloadManager. Tracked in:
      • bug 888915 Move SeaMonkey to the new JavaScript API for downloads when nsIDownloadManager is decommissioned.

Feature List, Planning

Private Browsing is now working and uplifted to SeaMonkey 2.19. Currently we are treating this feature as Experimental because although most things are working some edge cases have probably been missed. Hopefully any remaining bugs will be found before we formally announce.

  • Testing would be appreciated! Please file bugs as blocking the meta bug 460895.

  • TODO The about:privatebrowsing page needs UI polish (bug 842439).

Bug statistics for the last two (full) weeks: 18 new, 12 fixed, 10 triaged.

  • Medium triaging effort.

Open reviews/flags:
23 review
7 super-review
2 ui-review
6 feedback

Roundtable – Personal Status Updates

Status Updates from developers – what are you working on, what’s the progress, any other comments? (feel free to add yourself to the list if your name is missing and you have interesting status).

Callek

Fixed:

  • bug 927676 Add SeaMonkey 2.22 Beta 1 to bouncer.

TODO:

  • bug 607776 force_release_l10n.py: Make the default for shipped-locales work for non-browser apps.

  • bug 812981 Put up snippets for linux64 minor and major updates to SeaMonkey 2.19 and Beta to current Beta of SeaMonkey.
  • bug 827178 Update stage.m.o cron to match recent changes with ffxbld cron.
  • bug 845844 Deploy updated tbpl to tbpl.drapostles.org.
  • bug 884454 Bring up sea-master1 with puppet.
  • bug 890429 SeaMonkey master failing to upload log files.

ewong

  • Fixed:

    • bug 918853 – Existing Thunderbird profile is no longer offered for import in a first-run situation
  • Checkin-needed:
  • Review:

    • bug 507676 – Port |Bug 435804 – Remaining rdf cleanup for FilterListDialog| to SeaMonkey

    • bug 840427 – Migrate SeaMonkey builders to using mock
    • bug 853720 – After bug 827446, SeaMonkey doesn’t know mozcrash.
    • bug 864291 – Remove “Personas” from UI and Help
  • Working On:

    • bug 110904 – attach signature fails silently on bad paths

    • bug 507676 – Port |Bug 435804 – Remaining rdf cleanup for FilterListDialog| to SeaMonkey
    • bug 837649 – [Tracking Bug] Stop OSX 10.5 support for SeaMonkey project
    • bug 837650 – Stop support for OSX 10.5 in suite/ tree
    • bug 863747 – Add option to disable Location bar history
    • bug 900422 – Debug Preferences should handle nglayout.debug.paint_flashing_chrome
  • To Do:

IanN

  • Some testing, reviewing and commenting.

  • Fixed:
  • Pending check in:
  • Checked in pending review:
    • bug 921605 Shortcut key for the Inspector was changed in Firefox 25 and needs to be updated and pluginNotification.width change
  • Waiting for feedback/review:
  • Fixing review comments before checkin:
    • bug 757230 When using add button for permissions in Data Manager set a displayHost

    • bug 798147 Switch to correct pref pane if pref window already open
    • bug 778534 Use image instead of html:img in instant messaging
  • Working on:
    • Various SM Council documents.

    • bug 606683 Allow customization of toolbar in Composer and MailNews Composition
    • bug 639690 [META] Re-arrange code between editor and editorOverlay
    • bug 773979 [META] Switch to new drag and drop api in SeaMonkey
    • bug 657234 Move pasteQuote and pasteNoFormatting into contentAreaContextOverlay
    • File/Folder selection in windows.
  • To Do:
    • bug 639395 Get cmd_fontSize to reflect current state of selected content / content at caret.

    • Prefs-in-a-tab.
    • Create FAQ for Friends of the Fish Tank.
    • Help get composer standalone builds working with –enable-tests.

mcsmurf

  • Testing/reviewing of bug 920677 Click-to-play plugins fail to show placeholder after resizing

  • Lots of build problem testing/fixing

Neil

Fixed on comm-central, needs possible comm-beta approval:

  • bug 920677 Click-to-play plugins fail to show placeholder after resizing.

Fixed on comm-aurora:

  • bug 914611 Inconsistent references to plugin placeholder elements.

Fixed on comm-aurora and comm-beta:

  • bug 902312 Tabbed mail in 3-pane window does no longer observe browser.tabs.autoHide for display of single tabs.

Fixed on mozilla-central:

  • bug 906920 Implement additional toolkit features in XPFE autocomplete widget.
So now you get favicons in URLbar autocomplete!

Waiting for review:

Still waiting for review:

  • bug 909093 Update SeaMonkey to use nsIContentPrefService2.

Abandoned:

  • bug 920947 Need to remove plugin doorhanger when last CTP plugin is removed from document.
Apparently this breaks Google Earth even more than it used to. Also I didn’t get around to landing it and requesting aurora and beta approval so it missed the release.
Instead you can view the web console remotely once you enable the built-in debugger. Now with full review!

Ratty

  • The hard disk in my Toshiba died and took all my patch queues with it. I have backups but I need to reinstall VS2010 and otherwise set up a build environment on my Lenovo notebook. I hope to have things up and running by next week.

rsx11m

Fixed on trunk, aurora, and beta:

  • bug 920997 Printing of signature is broken, positioning of signature in document subject to bogus offset and cropping.

Fixed on trunk and aurora, waiting for beta approval:

  • bug 931484 Apply transparency rule to signatures only once even if they are nested.

Working on:

  • bug 842439 about:privatebrowsing needs some UI polish.

Filed:

Other:

  • Bug triage, testing, and commenting for SeaMonkey and MailNews Core.

  • End-user information and discussion on MozillaZine.

tonymec

ASSIGNED (waiting for review)

  • bug 112578 (enh) search mails window : search subfolders should remember last state

SeaMonkey Meeting Details

Thunderbird: 2013-10-29

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 12:00 am

Remember to use headphones and mute yourself when not talking

Feel free to ask questions in the meeting either by speaking up or by asking them in #maildev on IRC.

Other ways to get in touch with us can be found on our communications page

Meeting Changes

Attendees

aceman, clokep, jcranmer, JosiahOne, sshagarwal, mconley, Paenglab, Fallen

Action items from last meetings

  • [Standard8] Are WADA, Aryx, Chiaki Ishikawa, JosiahOne and jcranmer from previous nomination covered already for swag?

    • Standard8 is on it, but needs to dig through some info in his inbox.
  • [mconley]
    • Thunderbird usage data isn’t public. Standard8 was tasked with getting that information released. What’s the status on that?

      • Metrics is still needinfo’d on getting non-staff community added to usage metrics report emails

Critical Issues

  • [rkent] Binary add-on issue with TB 24?

    • jcranmer and irving suggest speaking with Fallen – they suspect this is fixed.

    • The builds that came out for 24.1 timeframe release did not fix the bug that rkent is talking about – but extra numbers have been added to AMO to mark compatibility (you’ll need to do rebuilds to side-step the compat issue).

Round Table

  • jcranmer

    • Working on converting JSMime into a separate repository (thanks to James Burke for being patient with me and my packaging issues!)

      • The separate repository will be JSMime 0.2, as I have decided to rework the API to be more idiot-proof

      • Tests are now up-to-date for comm-central, need to port tests for RFC 2047 and address header encoding/decoding
      • Not announcing this more widely public yet, since the conversion process is very messy and I want to embed reviews from the start.
    • Alder is now reserved for the final stages of ccrework, and I should be in contact with releng on getting this done.
    • Some minor build-engineering work with moz.build conversions or ontology
    • Still awaiting review from Neil.
  • JosiahOne (No outgoing audio)
    • Been busy with exams last week, so I didn’t accomplish as much as I wished.

    • I have started re-organizing the directory/file/image structure inside themes/.
    • I plan to create a shared themes directory similar to Firefox unless the build peers/owners are against it.
    • Waiting on review from Mike Conley for the animated thunderbird tabs.
  • clokep
    • Still working on the IB->c-c chat/ update, waiting on reviews from Florian now.

    • Was at the GSoC Mentors Summit ([1])
      • A lot of people told me they were happy we were still working on Thumderbird!

      • A lot of people thought Thunderbird had been killed -> more on this in my blog post
  • mconley
    • Patch to allow us to use nsIPermissionManager to store mail content preferences is up for review. \o/

    • I wrote some mail to tb-planning about the AMO to Marketplace move, and what that means for Thunderbird (and SeaMonkey).
    • Did more reviews, but they’re starting to stack up again
  • Paenglab
    • Waiting for feedback from mconley for bug 925746

Question Time

  • [clokep] Do we still need to use tb-planning? I’m STILL moderated on it after an insane amount of time using it.

    • Can we switch back to using m.d.a.thunderbird? If we have issues with “idiots”, we can always moderate it. (I want my nntp back.)

    • Alternately, can we freely give out posting privileges to people.

Action Items

  • [mconley] Ask jorgev if Marketplace merge would accept patches to make Thunderbird work there…

  • [mconley] Can we pull jb into this AMO discussion? Can we get an advocate higher up the Mozilla-chain? jb+gerv?
  • [mconley] Talk to bwinton and see if we can get “the regulars” whitelisted on tb-planning.

Thunderbird Meeting Details :

Mozilla Platform: 2013-10-29

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 12:00 am

Hot Bugs

(Important bugs for which we need to find owners or additional help. If known, please include suggested team or knowledge needed to advance the bug.)

Orange Factor
  • Some top oranges on m-c were disabled prior to this week’s uplift.

    • bug 637806 – Intermittent test_titlebar.xul | Test timed out.

      • Big spike on Linux in late September.

      • lmandel to help find an owner.
    • bug 703806 – Intermittent as-image/img-blobURI-2.html | image comparison (==), max difference: 255, number of differing pixels: 10000
      • Spiked on OSX & Android in early October.

      • dholbert to investigate.
Stability
  • bug 927413 – mozilla::gfx::DrawTargetSkia::DrawSurface topcrash was uplifted into Aurora; especially prevalent with treestyletabs and firebug. Currently NEEDINFO:mattwoodrow but unassigned; should solve via backout ASAP if the regressor is known.
Other

The Need To Know

(Release and system issues that may impact engineering this week.)

Notices/Schedule (akeybl/lsblakk/bajaj)

Next Merge: December 9, 2013 Next Release: December 10, 2013
Trains
Central: 28 Aurora: 27 Beta: 26 Release: 25
  • Heads up about Community Release Management on Nightly

    • Alexandros Mioglou (:alco)

    • Benjamin Kerensa (:bkerensa)
25 bugs 61 bugs
Unresolved Aurora 27 Trackers (non-security, not tracked for Beta) Unresolved Beta 26 Trackers (non-security)

Build Changes (gps)

(Build changes of which engineers should be aware.)

Upcoming Outages/Upgrades

(System outages/upgrades and tree closures that impact engineering.)

Key Issues

(Non team specific issues that impact engineering.)

Team Stand-ups

(In <2 mins, what did your team accomplish last week, on what is your team working on this week, and on what, if anything, is your team blocked? No questions during the stand-ups. All questions should be asked during the roundtable.)

Accessibility (dbolter)

No update.

Add-on SDK (dtownsend)

No update

App Tools (robcee)

B2G Services (dougt)

<Read Only>

  • Push Notification service declared 1.0.

  • Desktop support in progress; depending on service workers implementation.
  • WhereIsMyFox B2G planned for 1.3. We have wireframes. Depending on a Firefox Accounts implementation.
  • Geolocation on the MacX may use native support soon.

Developer Tools (robcee)

  • CodeMirror Everywhere! With Themes!

  • Edit as HTML bug 895561
  • Image Previews in Inspector bug 765105
  • -jsdebugger flag for running mochitests (bug 895471)

36 bugs fixed.

DOM (jst/dougt)

<Read Only>

  • First big chunk of the work to get the window object to use new bindings landed (bug 918345)

  • Dealt with a potentially critical regression that we ended up respinning Firefox 25 for (bug 927901)
  • Some pto and reviews for koi+/other b2g stuff.

Firefox Desktop (gavin)

<Read Only>

  • Australis still working on perf regressions.

Firefox Metro (bbondy/jmathies/mbrubeck)

  • Lots of apzc work taking place to fix various interaction issues and jank (tracking bug 886321)

    • kats and spohl are now focused on assisting the Metro team with APZC work.
  • Investigative work continues on sharing a profile with desktop (bug 924860).
    • We will be landing experimental patches on the oak project branch.

    • Final decision depends on both technical assessment and planned user research.
  • about:start load/display improvements (bug 910223)

Firefox Mobile (mfinkle/blassey)

  • Basic functionality for GeckoView bug 927451 for support of Android 2.3 => 4.2

  • Great progress on bug 924961 – [meta] IDE development support for mobile/android
  • FxA and Sync 1.1 progress bug 892025, bug 929066, bug 922147
  • Landed before merge bug 880281 – Make Marketplace more discoverable in about:apps
  • Great progress on bug 852608 – Add support for OpenSearch. Firefox Mobile ignores <link rel=”search”>

Firefox OS Communications (scravag)

<Read Only>

  • Sprint 3

Firefox OS Media Apps (hema)

<Read Only>

Firefox OS Media Recording (cjku)

<Read Only>

  • bug 919905 – Media Recording – Refactor encoder architecture to support the video encoder module

  • bug 854753 – [B2G][Audio] Implement MozSpeakerManager API
  • bug 709490 – Run WebGL on Web Worker with Off-Main-Thread-Compositing
  • bug 920921 – [Flatfish]: Flatfish has bad performance on Homescreen wiping
  • bug 924692 – Add support for selecting using touch
  • bug 880596 – Merge the set of structs in nsAnimationManager.h and the set of structs in nsTransitionManager.h

Firefox OS Performance (mlee)

Backlog

Last Sprint

This Sprint

  • Ends Friday, 11.08

    • Focusing on Launch Latency, Power Usage Harness, Automation and Memory Management

Firefox OS Productivity (doliver)

<Read Only>

No update this week.

Firefox OS Radio/Bluetooth/GPS (kenhkchang)

<Read Only>

  • Last week

    • Fix koi+ issues.

    • RTSP Client, to add suspend and resume functions.
    • NFC, to refine the NFCD code and prepare for landing code.
    • EAP-SIM, to discuss with partner to have their support.
    • Multi-SIM, to implement webapi for DSDS.
    • WPA-EAP, to import PKCS#12 CA by wifimanager, implementing.
    • WIFI-Direct, to implement the main codes of wifi-direct.
    • Power metering, to discuss the WebAPI with Jonas.
    • Network metering, to centralize the code for network per-app metering.
  • This week
    • Fix koi+ issues.

    • RTSP Client, to add suspend and resume functions and to support rtsp protocol in url bar.
    • NFC, to refine the NFCD code and prepare for landing code.
    • EAP-SIM, Partner will provide their solution for us. And we will verify it.
    • Multi-SIM, to implement webapi for DSDS.
    • WPA-EAP, to import PKCS#12 CA by wifimanager. Reviewer is asking to have a discussion with him.
    • WIFI-Direct, to implement the main codes of wifi-direct.
    • Power metering, to discuss the WebAPI with Jonas.
    • Network metering, to centralize the code for network per-app metering.

Firefox OS Systems – Platform (timdream)

<Read Only>

  • Cursor management: reduced scope on v1.3 to cursor moment only. Currently being actively working on Gecko

  • DSDS: Working on Gaia patches against API changes. Need to wait for API to be finalized.
  • NFC: Work week in Taipei this week. Gaia UI patch in review. Discussing on Gecko/Gaia system division on BT handover/etc.
  • Tablet: On track on Video/Settings/Music/Gallery app UI changes. Need to figure out eng resource on Digital Photo Frame / Slide show.
  • 3rd-party keyboard follow up: Working hard on koi+ bugs. Should be ready sometime next week.
  • Settings: EAP-SIM: scope re-aligned, waiting on spec.
  • CDMA: no update
  • Window management: reviewing inline window patch. Will be working w/ System Front-end team on integrating Haida.
  • Build script: Python -> JS patches is being reviewed and/or patch pending this week.
  • Zhuyin IME: updated again. performance confirmed. Waiting on review.
  • Settings eng.: working on centralizing bluetooth control code first.
  • Eng. mode / hardware showcase: landed for real \o/ addressing follow-up testing items.
  • Screenshot comparison tools: WIP ready and working, need to clean up code for review.

Read more at Gaia/Team/Taipei/Meetings/2013-10-29

GFX (milan)

JS (naveed)

<Read Only>

    • Compiler (JIT)

      • bug 928894: Investigate Clojurescript performance (see brendan’s mailing list post) and fixed a number of issues

      • bug 928423: Fix Ion GetElementIC GetProp stub to work with non-atomized strings, won about 10% on Dromaeo DOM and helped various Peacekeeper tests
    • Garbage Collection
      • Many exact rooting hazards.

      • bug 929065: migrated oom crash with parallel-compile
      • bug 928056: over-aggressive thread waiting with ggc
      • bug 927915: build nspr by default (first pass)
      • bug 929800: structured clone API handlification
    • Front End and Other

Media (mreavy)

<Read Only>

  • WebAudio now in release in 25!

  • Webrtc:
    • Working on an about:webrtc page

    • Readying import of upstream stable branch 3.43
    • Improved AEC function by extending tail to 128ms (more work coming)
    • Just landed system load monitoring (bug 902000) which will be used to avoid overloading by cutting frame sizes/rates/etc
    • Removed a bunch of deprecated APIs (spec is still in flux)
    • TURN TCP coming soon
    • Many of the WebRTC team will be traveling to IETF 88 in Vancouver next week (and a number attending W3 TPAC in Beijing by videoconference from Google Kirkland early the following week)

Necko (dougt/jduell)

  • Network “seer” has landed (Predictive pre-opening of connections/DNS/etc.) bug 881804

Performance (vladan)

No update

Seceng (mmc)

WebAPI (overholt)

  • Ben Turner attended graphics work week to, among other things, discuss IPC; very good conversations

  • Andrea Marchesini in SF this week to work with Ben on IPC stuff to hopefully grow into a reviewer there
  • Plan for IDB in workers (target: end of 2013) coming together
  • Thinker is looking for feedback on batching XHR for apps: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/mozilla.dev.webapi/qRIhhEoSMlE

Quality Programs

(An opportunity to hear about status with the various quality programs that do not have a formal team structure.)

MemShrink (njn)

We can now do fast, coarse-grained, per-tab memory measurements. This will become a devtools widget eventually.

OrangeFactor (ryanvm)

  • Past week’s OrangeFactor: 4.56 (Previous Week: 5.12).

  • 13 intermittent failures fixed in the last week – List – Thanks!.

Stability (kairo/bsmedberg)

  • Gathered some data on stability work within the last year, here are some highlights:

    • Desktop browser crash rate is the same as a year ago (~1.0 crashes per 100 ADI), despite aggressively adding web features in that time

    • Plugin hangs and crashes are less than half of what they were a year ago (when Flash had an all-time-high on issues), thanks to work on both our and Adobe’s side (0.8 -> 0.3).
    • Android crash rate reduced by 67% (2.4 -> 1.6).
    • Nearly 1500 crash bugs fixed within the last year.

<Read Only>

  • Stability numbers for yesterday are still waiting on ADI numbers to arrive.

  • ASUS gamer OSD is now blocklisted on Fx27, which kills our #3 topcrash (pending approval Fx26) bug 812683
  • A new version bitguard.dll is causing signification crash issues across channels. Currently we are unable to blocklist this DLL because it is loaded via APPINIT before the Firefox DLL blocklist is installed. dmajor has a theory of how we can fix this by not linking firefox.exe against user32.dll

Roundtable

(Comments and questions that arise during the course of the meeting or otherwise do not have a section.)

  • (RyanVM) B2G26 (v1.2) now has its own Gecko branch independent of mainline Firefox.

    • https://hg.mozilla.org/releases/mozilla-b2g26_v1_2/

    • Only koi+ blockers should be landing directly on this branch unless cleared by Release Management.
    • Regular mozilla-beta -> mozilla-b2g26_v1_2 merges will be performed to keep the underlying Gecko revisions in sync.

<Read only beyond this point>

Friends of the Tree

There were great changes by volunteers in Core and Toolkit during the past week. Thanks to all of these contributors for their passion and hard work! Here are some highlights:

Mailing List Threads

(Threads that are likely to be of interest to engineering from various mailing lists.)

Good Reads

(Links to blog posts, books, videos, etc. that you think will be of interest to others.)

irc #planning Log From This Meeting

[2:00pm] lmandel: https://wiki.mozilla.org/Platform/2013-10-29
[2:01pm] Matt_G joined the chat room.
[2:02pm] jjensen left the chat room. (Quit: is away)
[2:02pm] KaiRo: lmandel: I have a small update in the quality program section
[2:02pm] lmandel: KaiRo: k. thx
[2:02pm] Waldo joined the chat room.
[2:03pm] Matt_G left the chat room. (Ping timeout)
[2:04pm] rail is now known as rail-brb.
[2:05pm] tn joined the chat room.
[2:08pm] curtisk|afk is now known as curtisk.
[2:08pm] grace joined the chat room.
[2:09pm] Waldo: none too shabby
[2:10pm] grace left the chat room. (Quit: Leaving.)
[2:11pm] KindOne left the chat room. (Ping timeout)
[2:12pm] jhopkins|bbiab is now known as jhopkins.
[2:13pm] mbrubeck joined the chat room.
[2:13pm] mbrubeck: lmandel: Sorry I'm late; ready now
[2:13pm] Waldo: bleh, buggy sites 
[2:13pm] lmandel: mbrubeck: k. I'll come back to you after Web API.
[2:14pm] jesup: Are they fixing tumblr?  Soon?
[2:14pm] pmoore is now known as pmoore|away.
[2:14pm] grace joined the chat room.
[2:14pm] dholbert joined the chat room.
[2:15pm] robcee: naveed: happy to see bug 918207 land 
[2:15pm] firebot: Bug https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=918207 nor, --, mozilla27, n.nethercote, RESO FIXED, Fast per-tab memory profiling
[2:15pm] KindOne joined the chat room.
[2:16pm] lmandel: Call for roundtable items.
[2:16pm] blassey: so so loud...
[2:16pm] geekboy joined the chat room.
[2:16pm] robcee: ear-crushingly loud
[2:17pm] naveed: robcee : njn has been working hard on all things multi tab lately
[2:17pm] robcee: yeah. really happy to see that.
[2:18pm] robcee: we've got some prototype UI built on his per-tab mem stuff
[2:18pm] robcee: hoping to get that landed Soon.
[2:19pm] grace left the chat room. (Quit: Leaving.)
[2:19pm] dveditz: wow, pdx looks bigger than I expected based on the view behind dcamp
[2:20pm] dcamp: it's pretty big
[2:21pm] RyanVM|sheriffduty: robcee: blassey: was that me? Sorry if it was 
[2:21pm] blassey: RyanVM|sheriffduty: no, not you
[2:21pm] blassey: it was KaiRo
[2:21pm] geekboy is now known as geekboy|afk.
[2:21pm] RyanVM|sheriffduty: ah, ok

Engineering Meeting Details

  • Tuesday 2013-10-2911:00 am Pacific

  • Dial-in: conference# 98411
    • US/International: +1 650 903 0800 x92 Conf# 98411

    • US toll free: +1 800 707 2533 (pin 369) Conf# 98411
    • Canada: +1 416 848 3114 x92 Conf# 98411
    • FR/Paris: +33 1 44 79 34 80, x92 Conf# 98411
  • Engineering Vidyo Room / Air Mozilla / MTV Warp Core / TOR Finch / SFO Warfield / PDX Widmer
  • join irc.mozilla.org #planning for back channel

29-October-2013

Mozilla Project: 2013-10-28

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 12:00 am

All-hands Status Meeting Agenda

Items in this section will be shared during the live all-hand status meeting.

Friends of the Tree

  • Alex Fuser & Julian Ceballos from Mozilla Mexico for their awesome help at the Firefox OS Apps Workshop in Guadalajara, Mexico on Saturday. Also, Anahi Felix, Jorge Garcia, and all the crew at @escuchomx ( a tech training facility in Guadalajara), for over the top hospitality. Gracias!

Upcoming Events

Tuesday, 29 October

Noon PST, Mozilla SF Commons + AirMozilla

WebFWD IV Demo Day “Dry Run”

Come hear our 8 teams (http://webfwd.org/portfolio) do a dry run of their presentations they’ll share for the broader community the following night – held now to accomodate the time zones of many Mozillians who find 6:30pm PST inconvenient :)

Wednesday, 30 October

Noon PST, Mozilla SF Commons + AirMozilla

WebFWD IV Graduation

Our 8 teams (http://webfwd.org/portfolio) will show their stuff on live stream and in person to our developer, startup, mentor and investor communities. Come support, grill and cheer them on! Note applications for our next class are also open at http://webfwd.org/apply – deadline is December 15 and location is like the web: worldwide.

Thursday, 31 October

  • 10:00 AM Pacific / 17:00 UTC: Grow Mozilla discussion — a forum for discussing community building at Mozilla

Friday, 01 November

Product Status Updates (voice updates)

Firefox Desktop

Speaker Location: MV (johnath)

  • Release week!

    • Dig those release notes

    • Java blocklist rolled back bug 926605
    • Re-spins on Beta/RC (thanks to everyone for the blitz)

Firefox Mobile

Speaker Location: remote (mfinkle)

  • Looking into UI telemetry opportunities (firefox-dev thread)

  • New UI exploration: Split action bar
  • Lots of performance fixes related to new Home page landed pre-Aurora merge

Firefox OS

Speaker Location:’ Sandip Kamat (Vidyo)’

Sprint 4 = 10/28 – 11/08;
Sprint 5 = 11/11 – 11/22;
Sprint 6 = 11/25 – 12/06;

Grow Mozilla

Speaker Location: San Francisco

Getting to a Million Mozillians

Here are some tips and suggestions for people who are interested in learning more about bringing new contributors in to your project.

Speakers

Presenter Title Topic Location Share? Media More Details
Who Are You? What Do You Do? What are you going to talk about? Where are you presenting from? (Moz Space, your house, space) Will you be sharing your screen? (yes/no, other info) Links to slides or images you want displayed on screen Link to where audience can find out more information
Diane (Bisgeier) Tate (SF) + Didem Ersoz (MV) Run WebFWD, Mozilla’s startup program Graduation & call for our next class! Moz SF & Mountain View no screen sharing no slides http://webfwd.org + http://webfwd.org/portfolio http://webfwd.org/apply
Mardi Douglass Internal Communications Summit feedback survey Home (Seattle) no screen sharing no slides http://mzl.la/1eZL2k0 + https://etherpad.mozilla.org/summit-reflections

Roundtable

Do you have a question about a Mozilla Project or initiative? Let us know by Friday- we’ll do our best to get you an answer.

Please note that we may not always be able to get to every item on this list, but we will try!

Who are you? Area of question Question
What’s your name? What do you work on? Is your question about policy, a product, a Foundation initiative, etc. What would you like to know?

Welcome!

Let’s say hello to some new Mozillians!

Introducing New Volunteers

New Volunteer(s) Introduced by Speaker location New Volunteer location Will be working on
39 brand new volunteers who contributed their first code change to Firefox 25 David Boswell San Francisco All over Firefox coding
Seif Lotfy David Boswell San Francisco Germany Helping new coders get involved

Introducing New Hires

New Hire Introduced by Speaker location New Hire location Will be working on
Christopher Knowles Dan Parsons Mountain View US Remote (NC) Storage and Virtualization
Angela Leung Irina Parievsky Mountain View Mountain View Accounting
Stephen Ruston Rick Fant Mountain View United Kingdom Remote Partner Integration
Solomon Chiu Peter Chang SFO – Recorded Taipei Firefox OS – Media Recording
Wesley Huang Thomas Ho SFO – Recorded Taipei Firefox OS – Engineering PM

<meta>

Notes and non-voice status updates that aren’t part of the live meeting go here.

Status Updates By Team (*non-voice* updates)

Security

Speaking Engagements

Engagement

PR


  • Dial-in: conference# 8600

    • US/International: +1 650 903 0800 x92 Conf# 8600

    • US toll free: +1 800 707 2533 (pin 369) Conf# 8600
    • Canada: +1 416 848 3114 x92 Conf# 8600
    • FR/Paris: +33 1 44 79 34 80, x92 Conf# 8600

23-October-2013

Mobile: 2013-10-23

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 11:00 pm

Schedule

  • Next merge is 2013-10-28 (Brace for impact!)

Friends of the Mobile Team

Give a shoutout/thanks to people for helping fix and test bugs. Make sure friends also get awarded a badge.

  • fedepaol fixed bug 921776 – Notification completed not showing when download was started from a private tab

  • capella has been fixing a lot of things, as usual
    • bug 906323 – It should be possible to update a menuitem’s label

    • bug 920507 – Uncaught exception / crash when Clear private data -> Browsing & download history
    • bug 928163 – Allow or disallow proper text selection caret display based on HTML <input> type
    • bug 912983 – Text selection “cursor” persists on blur

Stand ups

Suggested format:

  • What did you do last week?

  • What are working on this week?
  • Anything blocking you?

Please keep your update to under 2 minutes!

JChen

  • Past week

    • Fixed bug 927429 – Set dynamic UA override URL on B2G

    • Worked on bug 909974 – Compositor thread hang monitoring/telemetry
    • Worked on bug 717878 – Content in input fields can not be scrolled when value exceeds visible width
    • Helping :mchang with bug 927633 – Make child processes access UA overrides through IPC
    • Investigated bug 925012 – Search engine choices pane is completely blank
    • Looked at bug 913942 – Get the first touchmove event after a touchstart earlier
    • PTO
  • Next week

GCP

  • Last week

    • bug 898767 crash in mozilla::DecoderTraits::CanHandleMediaType

    • bug 927462 String matching logic in OmxPlugin.cpp is brittle
    • bug 927474 “probably” can play “audio/webm”
    • bug 927480 No symbols/(deleted) for libraries initialized after the crash reporter is initialized
    • bug 928870 Basic tests for Android WebRTC UI
    • bug 921041 Replace the thread local storage impl of GetJNIForThread with JVM::GetEnv()
  • Next week
    • bug 689178 Use DT_DEBUG information to enumerate library mappings

    • bug 902000 Add a service that monitors the system load
    • WebRTC uplifting from upstream
  • Blockers
    • Weekly complaint about no debug tests + no ARMv6 debug builds

Brian N

  • Bug 853045 – Add a mach command creating Eclipse projects for mobile/android

  • Bug 929865 – Isolate sources in generated package into a separate directory
  • Bug 905703 – Don’t pre-process build/mobile/robocop/*java.in and mobile/android/base/tests/*java.in
  • Bug 925012 – Search engine choices pane is completely blank
  • Bug 928100 – Remove unused grid_icon_bg_activated.png resource

Sriram

  • Uplifting patches to Aurora

  • bug 926139 – Experimenting with integrating smoothie
  • bug 927006 – Use a split action bar – http://cl.ly/image/351t0e3h2o09
    • Added basic support for split action bar

    • Moved the share icon + default app to the action bar
    • Added conditional forward to split action bar

LucasR

Last week

Next week

  • Finish slides for Droidcon talk

  • More bug fixing on Fx26 (bug 918007 and bug 925722)
  • More patch reviews

liuche

  • interviews

  • uplifts
  • Robotium is now at 4.3 (bug 914773)
  • bug 852608 – Opensearch – cleanup and debugging, almost done

Margaret

mcomella

  • Past

    • bug 919234: (dup) Regression: Unpinning a site flashes thumbnail into neighbour thumbnail spot
  • Present
    • bug 870925: (r-) Add submissions info to FHR documents

    • bug 915918: (f+) If a different tab is selected in the background while in editing mode, URL being entered will open in that new tab
    • Tracking 26
      • bug 924480: (r?) With talkback, Swiping right from toolbar brings you to content, event when about:home is visible.
  • Future
    • bug 910859: Bootstrap new UI testing framework

    • FHR
      • Architecture docs

      • Minor bugs and regressions
    • bug 898613: [fig] Editing mode tests (followup to bug 895828)

nalexander

Mostly working on FxAccounts + Sync 1.1:

  • bug 892025 – HTTP client speaking KeyServer Protocol 1.0

  • bug 929066 – tiny tweak for local clock skew
  • bug 922147 – Abstract out Sync 1.1 password from Android Sync code base

IDE support reviews:

  • bug 853045 – Add a mach command creating Eclipse projects for mobile/android

  • bug 929865 – Isolate sources in generated package into a separate directory
  • bug 905703 – Don’t pre-process build/mobile/robocop/*java.in and mobile/android/base/tests/*java.in

JUnit 3 tests: No progress :(

BLassey

  • in Paris for rendering work week

  • bug 923795 Add condition to MozParam to detect top 2 (or N) position, landed, gavin asked for a test
  • bug 890985 crash in nsStandardURL::SetSpec @ nsStandardURL::BuildNormalizedSpec, landed patch, waiting for nspr review
  • bug 930072 put example GeckoView embedding app in the tree, up for review
  • bug 930059 Overscroll.java doesn’t need to use compatibility libraries
  • bug 930062 GeckoView library should support building as an ant project
  • bug 930068 GeckoView shouldn’t require ACCOUNT access permission
  • bug 930070 GeckoView should handle not having fennec-specific classes

MFinkle

  • Did a tech talk on GeckoView @ Mozilla London office

    • Lucas started a “Why not use WebApps” discussion that got me thinking about different HTML commands for main menus and toolbars. Think HTML5 context menu commands but for the main menu.
  • Getting GeckoView patches cleaned up for initial review
    • These will still be experimental

    • Basic javadocs
  • Started looking into UI Telemetry
    • Talked to Gregg Lind re: TestPilot

    • Found that Blake Winton was thinking about the same sort of thing for Desktop
  • DroidconUK on Friday

Ian Barlow

  • Helping out with product plan grooming

  • Defining a first version of Kinderfox (parental controls / kid-friendly browsing)
  • TV browsing / Living room UX
    • Looping in UX designers
  • Tablet refresh
    • Gathering user feedback

    • Looping in UX designers
  • Homepage enhancements
  • UX strategy for 2013/14
    • Working with Madhava on a desktop/mobile plan

Arun

Continuing with PDF.js – Focusing on developing 3 ideas.

WebRT

  • work ongoing, no specific updates this week

  • lots of conversations around security, UX, and implementation

A-Team

  • rc4 added to Android 4.0 Opt (Panda)

  • Reftests coming soon to Android 4.0 Opt (Panda) — bug 929447
  • Android tests in this week’s Orange Factor Top 10:
    • bug 914377 Intermittent testShareLink | View is null and can therefore not be clicked!

    • bug 720452 Intermittent Android jsreftest.html?test=<ANY> | load failed: null

Feature Focus

Fx25 (Ships 10/29)
FX26
Fx27

These will stick

These will be deferred?

  • Here are some notable landings:

    • bug 922338 – Update phishing-protection page in infoURL pref across Firefox products

    • Usability Fit and Finish: Overhaul of the favicon system bug 914296 – (FaviconRevamp) and Remove overscroll and show highlight instead bug 705246 and bug 791475 – Android updater notification should provide more information like progress
    • Progress on ANR effort: bug 909974, bug 926574
    • Progress on GeckoView: bug 927451
    • Make marketplace more discoverable in about apps:
    • Awesomescreen: bug 921265
    • Geckoview is pretty much usable, right? for Android 2.3 => 4.2
    • Will the IDE stuff be monolithic? Does it help contributors? Do I smell a blog post?

Round Table

QA

  • bug 928441 – content view truncated in landscape

  • crash rate is slowly creeping up

Details

  • Wednesdays – 9:30am Pacific, 12:30pm Eastern, 16:30 UTC

  • Dial-in: conference# 99998
    • US/International: +1 650 903 0800 x92 Conf# 99998

    • US toll free: +1 800 707 2533 (pin 369) Conf# 99998
    • Canada: +1 416 848 3114 x92 Conf# 99998
    • FR/Paris: +33 1 44 79 34 80, x92 Conf# 99998
  • irc.mozilla.org #mobile for backchannel
  • Mobile Vidyo Room

Firefox/Gecko Delivery Planning: 2013-10-23

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 11:00 pm

Schedule & Progress onUpcoming Releases

  • Note: Please start using the ‘feature’ keyword on bugs that could benefit from advance notice to QA, Stability, User Advocacy, Press team and others so that those bugs show up on https://wiki.mozilla.org/Features/Release_Tracking once a target milestone is set — you can do this for any major code overhauls, or deprecation/spec changes to web properties as well

Firefox Desktop

Current Releases

  • Blocking Java by default was turned on last Friday and was disabled against this morning because of some important bank websites that didn’t work properly.

    • The minimum necessary change to the product is tracked in bug 926605

Beta (25)

  • We’re now code complete (fingers crossed). We had to spin an extra beta and respin the RC to disable OCSP stapling, which was causing intermittent Twitter/Tumblr/Soundcloud stylesheet issues

  • Sign-off is tomorrow, release is Tuesday
  • Web Audio will be a major focus of our notes/comms, and we’ll be running a special whatsnew page in Poland promoting FxOS

Aurora (26)

  • Nothing critical

Nightly (27)

  • Feature review is on Friday (use that feature keyword!), followed by a merge to Aurora on Monday

Firefox Mobile

Beta (25)

Fx25 is pretty darn amazing (4.4 stars, Just under 2.5 crashes per 100 ADU)

Aurora (26)

Nightly (27)

These will stick
Here are some notable landings, we will group into themes
    • bug 922338 – Update phishing-protection page in infoURL pref across Firefox products

    • Usability Fit and Finish: Overhaul of the favicon system bug 914296 – (FaviconRevamp) and Remove overscroll and show highlight instead bug 705246 and bug 791475 – Android updater notification should provide more information like progress
    • Progress on ANR effort: bug 909974, bug 926574
    • Progress on GeckoView: bug 927451
    • Make marketplace more discoverable in about apps:
    • Awesomescreen: bug 921265
    • Geckoview prototype for Android 2.3 => 4.2
    • IDE support
These were our initial targets but we’ll need to defer

Developer Tools

( no audible due to an appt. )

  • quiet week for outbound after the recent flurry of posts

  • App Manager grew a manifest editor! screenshot here.
  • lots of UI polish:
    • color swatches for css in the inspector

    • hiding extraneous properties in the netmonitor’s JSON view
    • the debugger layout is vertical when side-docked
    • working towards a lofty goal of switching to Codemirror instead of Orion for 27

Feedback Summary

Desktop

  • Busy week and it’s only Wednesday:

    • Java block… ooooohboy. This has been discussed to death and is now going to be reverted. Lots of bustage with logins for banks (Norway & India), no (some) pogo games, no citrix VPN. May be issues with some kind of turn on java then turn it off thing.

    • Twitter/Tumblr breakage on beta. Should be fixed now but we’re tracking.
  • We finally have an alert system set up. So you (yes you!) can get alerted when we have sudden spikes of certain words on Input. Right now, it’s a hacky proof of concept. Email Cheng if you want to be added (you’ll get lots of email right now because we have the sensitivity set very high).

    • For example, this morning you’d have found out that some users are having all their pages redirected to ww6.btosjs.info … we’re investigating.

User-Experience

Market Insights from the Market Strategy Team

Desktop / Platform

  • Research paper “What Are We Not Doing When We’re Online” offers potential areas to investigate for innovation with direct applicability to user’s lives. [1]
  • Research paper “Dusting the Web for Fingerprints” explains how advertisers evade “Do Not Track” and still track an individual across websites and even devices. [2]

Apple

  • Apple announced that iWork, a set of applications for Macs, iPads and iPhones that essentially duplicates what Microsoft’s Office offers customers, would be free to anyone who bought a new Macintosh computer or mobile device from Apple. [3]

Google

  • Google developed a tool for free expression called uProxy which consists of a simple browser extension that is capable of finding a user’s friends on Facebook and establishes a peer-to-peer encrypted internet connection with someone you trust. Currently in “restricted beta” mode, it is not an anonymizing network like Tor but will render an individual connection indistinguishable from all other encrypted conversations online. [4]

Microsoft

  • Microsoft has reportedly created prototypes for Internet-connected eyewear based on Kinect. [5]
  • Microsoft drops ‘RT’ moniker from original Surface, hides desktop mode on new RT tablets [6]

Facebook

  • Facebook is exploring “deep learning,” which will allow its machines to better understand all sorts of nuanced language and behavior that we humans take for granted, which can help its AI machines to learn to behave more like the human brain. [7]

Mobile

  • Nokia launched 2 Lumia devices, the 1520 and 1320, the first ones in the 6 inch size range. The 1520 is a 6-inch quad-core phone with a 20 MP camera that will be available for $750, primarily in the developed markets.

  • Apple launched the next version of the iPad, called the iPad Air. The new device is thinner, lighter and has more CPU speed. It will be available starting with the 1st of November in 41 countries in either Space Gray or Silver.
  • Nokia launched 3 new Asha devices: the 500, 502 and 503. They are versions of the Asha 501 and the lower – end (500) will be $69 SIM-free while the 503 is $99. The 500 has a 2.8-inch screen and a 2-megapixel camera, while both the 502 and the 503 have 3-inch screens and 5-megapixel cameras with LED flash. All three have WLAN, quad-band EDGE and boast one month of battery standby time. They’re all available with dual SIM capabilities. They will sell in Africa, APAC, Europe and the Middle East, while the 500 and the 503 will be available in Latin America as well. The value proposition is similar to the 501, but is more heavily centered on social apps and being faster to content: “One swipe to even more of what you love”, “Swipe. Snap, Share.”
  • Ars Tehnica article that explains Google’s strategy on how to drive the open source Android ecosystem.

Marketing, Press & Public Reaction

  • Brazil Desktop Campaign: We’re currently designing a campaign to coincide with the launch of Firefox OS in Brazil in order to leverage our partner’s spend in this region since Firefox will “be in the air.” Review campaign proposals this week. [Kristin, Laura & NoBox]

  • Australis Marketing Launch: The launch strategy has been finalized across engagement and we’re now in “wave” planning mode (a “wave” is a name for a large cross-engagement marketing campaign). UPDATE: The current projected launch date for Australis has moved from Firefox 27 (January 21) to Firefox 28 (March 4th). [Laura]
  • Consumer Value Proposition Discovery: Survey is in its last round of reviews and will be finalized by end of week. [Laura]
  • Indonesia Desktop Campaign: Viking from the Indonesia campaign is driving a large-scale national campaign to help increase usage levels within Indonesia within Q4. [Gen, Viking]

Questions, Comments, FYI


Planning Meeting Details

  • Wednesdays – 11:00am PT, 18:00 UTC

  • Mountain View Offices: Warp Core Conference Room
  • Toronto Offices: Finch Conference Room
  • irc.mozilla.org #planning for backchannel
  • (the developer meeting takes place on Tuesdays)

Video/Teleconference Details – NEW

  • 650-903-0800 or 650-215-1282 x92 Conf# 99696 (US/INTL)

  • 1-800-707-2533 (pin 369) Conf# 99696 (US)
  • Vidyo Room: ProductCoordination
  • Vidyo Guest URL

22-October-2013

Firefox Status: 2013-10-22

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 11:00 pm

Friends of the Firefox team

Give a shoutout/thanks to people for helping fix and test bugs.

Project Updates

Australis

For TART performance, we’ve drilled down to 2 bugs:

  • bug 924415 – Find out why setting chromemargin to 0,-1,-1,-1 is so expensive for TART on UX branch on OS X.

    • Affects OS X 10.6 the most, and 10.7 a little bit. Accounts for almost the entirety of the OS X TART regression.

    • The investigation on this has reached a point where we need dedicated help from Graphics. Waiting to hear from Milan to see if they can give us some cycles.
  • bug 921038 – Move selected tab linear-gradient into stroke image and/or SVG
    • Coupled with SVG caching (which just hit inbound, and will hopefully stick this time), this should be enough to neutralize the Windows XP TART regression.

    • MattN and mconley are still trying to determine if this is a practical way of drawing the tab backgrounds. Tabs are complicated, and there are many cases we have to account for, so we’re still doing that.

For general usability/feature bugs:

  • We have made great progress on P1 and P2 bugs. We now have a number of P3 and P4 bugs to focus on, and will likely retriage these bugs to account for the large number in their buckets and keep up the great pace.

Thumbnailing

Foreground thumbnailing

  • WIP patch still awaiting Tim’s feedback: bug 809056 – reduce thumbnailing impact when there are no thumbnail service consumers

  • new (and applies to background thumbnailing also): bug 928014 – Investigate removing thumbnail IO worker thread

Background thumbnailing

  • Ready to enable on beta and release (see bug 927688), with the possible exception of a hang in bug 902755, which is in the patch-review cycle, and a failing compositor assertion also discussed in that bug.

  • We’d like to uplift enable-on-beta-and-release to Aurora so that it makes its way to beta sooner rather than later, on the next merge. These bugs need to be uplifted as well: bug 924665, bug 917610, bug 917609. All apply cleanly to Aurora. Tryserver results with those bugs applied to Aurora.
  • fixed: bug 897872 – crash in mozilla::dom::ContentParent::RecvAddGeolocationListener
  • in patch-review cycle: bug 902755 – Deadlock in mozilla::ipc::GeckoChildProcessHost::LaunchAndWaitForProcessHandle after turning on new tab page thumbnails
  • patch for Dolske’s review, but Gavin points out another approach that happens to be blocked by another bug: bug 908277 – Make sure the background thumbnail service can’t open permission UI
  • investigated further: bug 893404 – Intermittent browser_thumbnails_background.js | Test timed out

SessionStore

  • Worked on a few regressions that were introduced lately, our startup code path is complicated. (bug 853779, bug 929097, bug 918276, bug 928630, bug 900910, bug 919532, bug 912975).

  • Landed a couple of patches that bring us closer to data collection working in an e10s build (bug 909048, bug 910668, bug 921762).
  • Still working on cleaning up patches for Marionette restart/shutdown support and adding more tests for SessionStore’s startup path (bug 923607, bug 923606).
  • We’re almost ready to land bug 899276 that prevents private tabs from being saved to disk which means that it should be easier for add-ons to make docShells private.
  • Also almost ready to land the global value API that we’ve been working for a while now (bug 899213).
  • We landed bug 921581 that will bring us closer to a working and sane crash detection mechanism that would have prevented most of the regressions we talked about above.

e10s

  • bug 922756 Bbondy finishing up Windows sandbox

  • bug 897061 Felipe working on autocomplete
  • bug 919835 Billm working on session restore
  • Dvander working on OMTC software compositor for Windows and Linux.
  • Ncameron is working on hardware-accelerated compositor for Windows.
  • Mhammond working on e10s tests.

QA

  • add your qawanted/qa-urgent request here

  • train QA leads
    • 25 – ashughes

    • 26 – juanb
    • 27 – tracy
    • 28 – ashughes
    • 29 – juanb
    • 30 – tracy

Stand ups

Suggested format:

  • What did you do last week?

  • What are working on this week?
  • Anything blocking you?

Please keep your update to under 1 minute!

gavin

(gavin’s Status Board)

paolo

(paolo’s Status Board)

mak

(marco’s Status Board)

enn

(Neil’s Status Board)

felipe

(felipe’s Status Board)

mano

(Mano’s Status Board)

ttaubert

(Tim’s Status Board)

adw

(Drew’s Status Board)

markh

(Mark’s Status Board)

smacleod

(Steven’s Status Board)

dolske

(dolske’s Status Board)

mconley

(Mike’s Status Board)

mikedeboer

(Mike’s Status Board)

gijs

(gijs’ Status Board)

Unfocused

(Blair’s Status Board)

MattN

(MattN’s Status Board)

jaws

(jaws’s Status Board)

mixedpuppy

(mixedpuppy’s Status Board)


Details

  • Tuesdays – 10:00am Pacific, 1:00pm Eastern, 17:00 UTC

  • Handy local meeting time link
  • Dial-in: conference# 91337
    • US/International: +1 650 903 0800 x92 Conf# 91337

    • US toll free: +1 800 707 2533 (pin 369) Conf# 91337
    • Canada: +1 416 848 3114 x92 Conf# 91337
    • FR/Paris: +33 1 44 79 34 80, x92 Conf# 91337
  • irc.mozilla.org #fx-team for backchannel
  • “Firefox” Vidyo Room

Older Posts »

Powered by WordPress