Schedule & Progress onUpcoming Releases
Firefox Desktop & Platform
- Smooth sailing
- Last Desktop 28 beta going to build on Thursday
- we had to disable <input type=”color”> for too many issues on several platforms (see bug 977301 ship in 29
- Final iteration before Metro releases with Firefox 28.
- 5 realease blockers remain under development this iteration.
- 13 resolved bugs waiting for QA verification for the 30C-29A-28B release cycle.
- [ON TRACK] bug 768667 – Use the action bar for text selection on ICS+
- [ON TRACK] bug 875750 – Implement <input type=”color”>: Android widget/color picker
- [ON TRACK] bug 852608 – Add support for OpenSearch. Firefox Mobile supports <link rel=”search”>
- [ON TRACK] bug 943475 – Predictive lookup for awesomebar entries
- [ON TRACK] Dynamic snippets support preffed off
- [ON TRACK] Background Thread Hang Reporting bug 932865
- [ON TRACK] Added locale: Estonian (et), bug 946204
- [ON TRACK] Toolbar Refactor
- [ON TRACK] Added locale: Hindi(hi), bug 960059
- [ON TRACK] Shumway Bundled in Browser but disabled, bug 905668
- [ON TRACK] Promo snippet for Sync
- [ON TRACK] Preloaded bookmark for Marketplace
- [ON TRACK] Multiple Quickshare Buttons – 2 Quickshare on main menu
- [ON TRACK] Ability to “Hide” existing panels in about:home (see the full project page for more details)
- [AT RISK] Dynamic snippets support preffed on, bug 862801
- [AT RISK] Replace throbber with progress bar bug 917896, bug 959776.
UX Signoff: 03/04
- [AT RISK] Added locale: Indonesian (id), bug 521995
- [AT RISK] Added locale: Latvian (lv) , bug 958021
- [AT RISK] APK Synthesis on by default
- [AT RISK] Promo snippet for Marketplace UX Signoff: 03/04
- [AT RISK] Firefox Accounts with Sync 1.5 integration UX Signoff: 03/04
- [PROPOSED] Synced tabs page as entry point into Firefox Accounts & Sync bug 958889 (nice to have, shift to 30 if needed)
- [AT RISK] Ability to re-order existing panels in about:home (see My List: Manage current lists in settings), bug 942231
- [ON TRACK] Evaluate pngquant for PNG size reduction bug 959833
- [AT RISK] Third-party service integration MVP
- [AT RISK] My List: How My List works (MVP reqs only)
- [AT RISK] My List: Save any web-viewable content (MVP reqs only)
- [AT RISK] My List: Add new My List from Promotional Panel (MVP reqs only)
- [AT RISK] My List: Subscribe to feed or service as a new list (MVP reqs only)
- [AT RISK] My List: Add new and improved list management in Settings (MVP reqs only)
- [AT RISK] Service integration: Downloads (MVP reqs only) <== Need to reduce scope
- [AT RISK] Preferred web content language
- [AT RISK] Quickshare Contexts
- [AT RISK] Quickshare on the context menu
- [PROPOSED] Placeholder for FxA/Sync Backlog
- [PROPOSED] WebRTC tab streaming
- [PROPOSED] API: Contacts (incl permissions bump)
- [PROPOSED] Geolocation services (incl permissions bump)
- [PROPOSED] Added locale: Argentine Spanish (es-AR)
- [PROPOSED] Added locale: Mexican Spanish (es-MX)
- [PROPOSED] Added locale: Malay (ms)
- landings have either happened or are imminent for new theme changes and the box model highlighter
- some furious activity trying to land / discuss / better define some of the accomplishments from the work week, including:
- Outbound: preparing for a strong presence at GDC in 2 weeks including a booth and a talk by Angelina
- Australis surveys up, results soon.
- We sent results of Australis tour survey last week, ping us if you want a copy of it.
- We’ll be rolling up Metro feedback this week. Stay tuned.
- We had a spike in feedback as a result of the Firefox newsletter… the system works!
Market Insights from the Market Strategy Team
- Juniper research forecasts that revenues generated from Smart Home services are set to reach a global market value of $71 billion by 2018, rising from $33 billion last year, with 80% of that revenue expected to come from entertainment services.  Microsoft Research has built the prototype  of a 3D browser called SurroundWeb, which allows Web pages to display content across multiple surfaces in a room , highlighting a role for the browser in the entertainment services segment. Apple TV device and content revenues rose to $1B last year. 
- Data since the 1920s shows that the U.S. advertising industry has always been between 1% and 1.4% of GDP, averaging 1.29%.  For each “new” medium at the time — radio, television, and Internet — the growth pattern has seen similar curves. The first 5 years saw rapid (but declining) growth rates, and after the fifth year, growth rates stagnated. In this context, Google’s approach with Google+ at the center  and Spider.io acquisition  is precise targeting which Fiber , Glass, Now, Cars, etc enhance.
- WhatsApp announced it will implement support for voice on iOS and Android in Q2 and on Windows Phone and Blackberry later this year.
- Nokia announced the X series base on Android and featuring the Bing mobile application suite. Aimed at the middle-tier and the emerging market, the device series is meant to replace the Nokia Asha series as the low-end of the company’s product portfolio. There are 2 devices unveiled, Nokia X and Nokia X+ and a third Nokia XL was announced. They are priced at 89 Euros (X), 99 Euros (X+) and 109 Euros (XL). The X come bundled with 10GB of Microsoft Skydrive storage and the Opera browser.
- Nokia also announced a new S30 phone, the 220, which will be 29 Euros, or $40, and a new Asha, the 230, which will be 45 Euros or $60.
- Tizen will be refocusing on smart watches instead of smartphones, pointing to a strategy of deployment in the Internet of Things.
- Privacy was a bigger theme at MWC this year than last year, with the Blackphone focused on security and privacy as a user value proposition.
Marketing, Press & Public Reaction
- Firefox 29 Launch: We’re cranking on this, currently creating the post-tour landing page that we’ll be using at launch. Lot’s and lot’s of other projects at work as well.
- Firefox for Windows 8 Touch: We’ll be using the What’s New page to let Windows 8 users know we now also work in touch-mode
- Firefox Engagement Meetup: Most of the Engagement team will be locked in a room talking Firefox tomorrow
Planning Meeting Details
- Wednesdays – 11:00am PT, 18:00 UTC
- Mountain View Offices: Warp Core Conference Room
- Toronto Offices: Finch Conference Room
- irc.mozilla.org #planning for backchannel
- (the developer meeting takes place on Tuesdays)
Video/Teleconference Details – NEW
- 650-903-0800 or 650-215-1282 x92 Conf# 99696 (US/INTL)
- 1-800-707-2533 (pin 369) Conf# 99696 (US)
- Vidyo Room: ProductCoordination
- Vidyo Guest URL