Meeting Notes

28-March-2012

Mobile Meeting Minutes: 2012-03-28

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 11:00 pm

Mobile/Notes/28-Mar-2012

Contents

Details

  • Wednesdays – 9:30am Pacific, 12:30pm Eastern, 16:30 UTC

  • Dial-in: conference# 95312
    • US/International: +1 650 903 0800 x92 Conf# 95312

    • US toll free: +1 800 707 2533 (pin 369) Conf# 95312
    • Canada: +1 416 848 3114 x92 Conf# 95312
  • irc.mozilla.org #mobile for backchannel
  • Warp Core Vidyo Room

Schedule

  • Next merge is 2012-04-24

Major Topics for This Week

Aurora uplift
We lied. We uplifted “any and all patches that were not graphics related and had no merge conflicts” on Friday night. If your blockers have been approved for Aurora, try to land them. If you get a conflict, let them wait. Keep requesting approval for your fixed blockers!

Graphics
The GFX team is focused on fixing crashers. We plan to reduce the amount of crashes and uplift the graphics work to Aurora.

Stand ups

Suggested format:

  • What did you do last week?

  • What are working on this week?
  • Anything blocking you?

Please keep your update to under 2 minutes!

James W. (snorp)

Kats

  • Last week

    • mostly testing-related things so that i can measure checkerboarding improvements

    • bug 737411 – fix some robocop tests after maple landing
    • bug 738326 – speed up robocop pixel tests by 90x
    • bug 738554 – fix some robocop race conditions
    • bug 738556 – beef up the checkerboarding test in robocop talos
    • bug 710126 – zoom to fit when images are larger than the screen
    • bug 729528 – implement a bunch of strategies for display port management
    • bug 739415 – add more comprehensive checkerboarding scenario tests

Next week:

    • gather lots of test data to see which strategy works best when

    • perform any minor tuning/fixups needed for the strategies
    • put in a heuristic to dynamically pick the best strategy to minimize overall checkerboarding
    • start hammering away more on beta-blocker pan/zoom bugs

Blockers:

    • none right now

GBrown

Last week:

  • Investigated reftest failures. Many more reftests are passing now…we are down to 46 unexplained failures! See bug 732494.

  • Bug 735461: Robocop: Fennec does not interpret -profile argument correctly
  • Minor Robocop tweaks.

This week:

  • More reftest investigation

  • Screenshot bugs

Chris Lord (cwiiis)

  • Last week

    • bug 736850 – crash in mozilla::layers::ShadowBufferOGL::EnsureTexture [fixed]

    • bug 736729 – Display port needs to be recalculated on page-size change [fixed]
    • bug 737434 – Textures get deleted and recreated on resize [fixed]
    • bug 732016 – Maple: scrollIntoView does not clamp to the page size
    • Reviews
  • This week

    • bug 739604 – Crash in ThebesLayerOGL when using MOZ_DUMP_PAINT_LIST

    • bug 732016 – Maple: scrollIntoView does not clamp to the page size
    • Reviews

Chris Peterson

  • Last week

    • bug 720300 – Awesome bar shouldn’t start search on Enter key pressed if there is composition string

    • bug 738695 – Remove some redundant and unused IME code: mComposing and returnIMEQueryResult
  • This week

    • bug 701895 – [IME] return key does not cause the urlbar to go to the website using simeji

    • bug 707353 – [flash] soft keyboard doesn’t appear
    • Reviewing mobile topcrash bugs

GCP

  • Last week

    • Day off

    • bug 727370 Bad(?) files in safebrowsing folder in user profile prevent loading any site after installing update
    • bug 729532 Improve first-run profile import experience
    • bug 736237 Profile Migration should specify a limit and be resumable
    • bug 716729 Identify root cause of favicon crash on some Honeycomb/ICS devices’ Bookmarks database
  • This week
    • bug 736237 Profile Migration should specify a limit and be resumable

    • bug 725150 Need logic to prevent sync and profile migration happening at the same time
  • Blockers
    • bug 739629 – Expose safe account creation API for profile migration

Brian N

  • Done

    • bug 725428 – content area goes black and then dark checkerboard before pageload during startup

    • bug 737782 – Keywords added to bookmarks are not saved
    • bug 738848 – FormAssistant null error when Fennec is in background
    • bug 738859 – Increment mActivityDepth for all activities launched from GeckoApp
    • bug 739698 – SearchEngines cleanup in browser.js
    • bug 726001 – Decode ICO file format Favicons
    • Started bug 717428 – Reuse favicons in DB
  • Next

Sriram

  • Last Week:

    • Using LayoutInflater.Factory to optimize rendering custom views – bug 738049

    • Posted a WIP for android widget – bug 708707
    • Fixed strict mode violation in database object closing – bug 736296
  • This Week:
    • Fixed the styling of header views in Bookmarks

    • Removed redundant AsyncTask in Bookmarks display in AwesomeBar – bug 739334
      • Posted a WIP to logically separate views and Asynctasks.
    • A new approach for cutting down on anonymous runnables in GeckoApp – bug 727307
    • Investigating Robocop intermittent test failures – bug 738645
  • Blockers:
    • None.

WesJ

Last week:

  • bug 728224 – Create default bookmarks on local DB creation

  • bug 709250 – Error downloading favicon: java.net.MalformedURLException: java.lang.NullPointerException: Cannot find “!/”
  • bug 738421 – java.lang.Throwable: Explicit termination method ‘close’ not called @ GeckoJarReader.java:33
  • bug 739514 – Initial Fennec history visits being created without a GUID

This week:

  • bug 732052 – XUL Scale elements should support touch events

  • bug 737021 – Webm video is larger in play mode then when paused
  • bug 695178 – Download Manager

LucasR

Last week

Next week

  • Fix remaining release blockers

  • Wrap-up patches for remote debugging
  • ListView performance guidelines

Blockers

  • None

MBrubeck

Done:

Next:

  • Interview for a B2G candidate

  • bug 721784 – Installed add-ons migrated from XUL to Native are visible only after restart
  • bug 735237 – window.showModalDialog causes weird issues

Margaret

Done:

  • Bookmarks don’t show up in awesomebar results – bug 721731

    • Added more ContentProvider tests for combined bookmarks/history view

    • Updated top sites query talos test to account for bookmarks as well
  • Don’t show click-to-play UI for unsupported plugins – bug 739048
  • Add site-based permissions for click-to-play plugins – bug 736278
  • Started working on “Desktop Bookmarks” folder UI – bug 737896

Next:

  • Finish “Desktop Bookmarks” folder work

  • Form autocomplete popup is misplaced – bug 736008
  • Awesomebar filter improvement – bug 738961

Scott (jwir3)

BLassey

Last week

  • apparently I only landed one little clean up patch for bug 728224

  • implemented getUserMedia for still images bug 738528, which is needed for WebRT

MFinkle

Done:

  • Landed the initial Open Web App patches (and had them backed out) bug 697309

  • Working on adding the WEBAPP intent bug 737050
  • Made a patch to fix NULL GUIDs in DB (Wes made it better) bug 739514
  • Reviews
  • Triage

Next:

  • Figure out how to get the webapp patches landed again (Damn you, Talos!)

  • Finish the WEBAPP intent patch
  • Stare closely at beta/release blocker lists

Madhava

Ian Barlow

Last week

This week

Phone

  • Change tap to play behaviour for plugins bug 736278

  • which led to realizing we should make our notifications more consistent bug 739757

Tablet

Patryk Adamczyk

Last Week

  • Bug 736599 going to provide needed assets < crash report window

  • Bug 708707 added new assets for the widget

This Week

  • Mainly focusing on B2G work, like for the next few weeks

  • Ping me on IRC if more assets are needed for bugs I am assigned to.

GFX

  • bug 737437 (#1 top crasher) – patch posted, awaiting review

  • bug 694964 (#2 top crasher) – we know what’s causing this, and we’re working on choosing the right way to fix it
  • bug 735230 (possible cause of crashes like bug 736666) – patches posted, awaiting review for some of them
  • bug 739679 – Add a Shadowable TiledThebesLayer implementation
    • This will improve checkerboarding and jank

    • This is now working on mobile and desktop. The performance looks on par with, if not better then, the old implementation with room for further optimizations.

Round Table

QA:

  • Sync has regressed some. Syncing bookmarks/history/tabs is not working on yesterday’s build

  • Seeing work done on bug 697309 – WebApps API support on fennec. AaronMT driving the testplan for this, in collaboration with Apps QA team
  • Highlighted a list of tracking GFX and Flash issues that needs fixes. (Compiled last friday, so some of these may already be updated)
  • Continuing to triage keyword: qawanted – please continue to use it for further bug testing investigation from our end
  • Having a testday against Nightly this friday, Mar 30. Please join us for dev support.
  • Firefox 12 beta 3 validation.

Firefox/Gecko Delivery Meeting Minutes: 2012-03-28

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 11:00 pm

Firefox/Planning/2012-03-28

« previous week | index | next week »

Planning Meeting Details

  • Wednesdays – 11:00am PDT, 18:00 UTC

  • Mountain View Offices: Warp Core Conference Room
  • Toronto Offices: Finch Conference Room
  • irc.mozilla.org #planning for backchannel
  • (the developer meeting takes place on Tuesdays)

Video/Teleconference Details – NEW

  • 650-903-0800 or 650-215-1282 x92 Conf# 95312 (US/INTL)

  • 1-800-707-2533 (pin 369) Conf# 95312 (US)
  • Vidyo Room: Warp Core
  • Vidyo Guest URL
REMEMBER

These notes are read by people who weren’t able to attend the meeting. Please make sure to include links and context so they can be understood.

Contents

Actions from Last Week

Schedule & Progress on Upcoming Releases

Firefox Desktop

Release (3.6, 11, 10esr)

Beta (12)

  • Beta 3 going to build today, released Friday

Aurora (13)

  • Win2k/XP SP1 desupport meeting to be held Thursday (email akeybl if you’d like to be included)

Nightly (14)

  • Lots of work has landed for the cycle collector focusing on two open tabs (GMail + wikimo) scenario. More work coming for multiple tabs and add-on scenarios.
  • bug 714712 add built-in PDF support to Firefox with PDF.js

  • Patrick McManus [:mcmanus] checked in a bunch of awesomeness around http pipelining

Firefox Mobile

Aurora (13)

  • Uplifted many non-graphics related patches. More to come.

  • Will uplift graphics changes after we get a handle on crashes

Nightly (14)

  • Mostly working on blockers that will be uplifted to Aurora

  • Doing some planning for new projects in the pipeline
    • Web apps is a high priority project. Several patches getting ready to land

    • Remote debugging patches resulted from DevTools workweek
    • Native Tablet UI designs and bugs appearing
    • and more…

Firefox Sync

  • Sync has nothing new to report. Building & bugfixing continues.

Add-on SDK

Release (1.5 -> Firefox 10, 11)

  • Nothing to report

Stabilization (1.6 -> Firefox 11, 12)

  • Spinning up 1.6RC2 today to take in a small bug-fix patch

  • Release 1.6 next Tuesday. April 3

Development (1.7 -> Firefox 12, 13)

Other Add-ons News

Identity

Apps

  • Working towards consumer beta Apr. 24. Nothing specific to call out.

Feedback Summary

SUMO team is in a workweek this week (offsite today) so you get a read-the-wiki (aka silent) update.

Desktop

Fx11:

General:

  • TypeError: Components.classes[cid] new culprit in Fx11: Orbit Downloader.

  • About 40% of the remaining support forum complaints are unwanted software/homepage/”features” of some sort (Text Enhance, Searchqu, Skipity, babylon yourbestsearch.net). Most of these have been around for months.

Mobile

UX & User Research

Market Insights

Desktop / Platform

Google

  • A Wall Street Journal article, summarizing research from Kantar Media, said that Google quadrupled advertising spending in the USA to $213m. Television advertising increased to $70m in 2011 from $6m in 2010.

  • Google Play, formerly known as the Android Market, now has updated reporting tools for app publishers to understand their sales.
  • In Chromium, CSS Shaders are now arriving, as well as SPDY/3 and flow control.
  • Google has received a patent for “Deep Shot”, a process by which running application state can be moved between mobile and desktop devices by means of a mobile camera.

Opera

  • Opera released 11.62, a minor update

  • They also made a new release of Opera 12, which now has 64-bit versions for Windows and Mac, supports HTML5 Drag and Drop and partial support for CSS3 animations. 64-bit support is enabled by running plugins out-of-process.
  • They also released an updated version of their Opera Mobile Emulator, which runs on Windows, Mac, or Linux.

Microsoft

  • A blogger at MSDN posted a detailed summary of how Enhanced Protected Mode in Internet Explorer works.

  • Other posts at the IEBlog detailed the default settings for how Windows 8 will launch a browser and describes its support for IndexedDB, including the submission of 100 test cases to the W3C working group.
  • Microsoft also submitted a proposal to the IETF for HTTP Speed+Mobility as part of the group’s HTTP 2.0 discussions. Microsoft describes its suggestions as extending SPDY to focus more on the needs of mobile devices.
  • The Windows Phone App Hub is now open to accept applications from 23 new countries from around the world.

Security

  • The Microsoft Malware Protection Center said that there is a new exploit circulating that makes use of a recent Java exploit to take over systems. Other security researchers have said that this exploit is now available in the BlackHole exploit kit, and indeed the Blackhole kit’s author is advertising such an update.

GNOME

  • Gnome 3.4 is close to arriving, and the Epiphany browser team has a good post summarizing the changes in the default GNOME browser. Most notably the UI has been streamlined considerably.

Tizen

Mobile

Summary below, full update here and in your inbox.

  • The Dolphin browser now has a Chrome extension to sync bookmarks

  • Opera released Opera Mini 7
  • Device updates to ICS are slow to be deployed
  • The Play Store has been introduced into the Google black navigation bar
  • Reports of Chome OS being tested on ARM architecture
  • Windows Phone app development encouraged with $24 million from Microsoft and Nokia
  • Nokia Lumia 900 to enter US market with mid-range pricing
  • LTE phone shipments to grow tenfold in 2012, account for 10% of smartphone shipments
  • Baidu search engine is rumoured to be introduced to iOS along Google
  • FTC calls for Do Not Track option for mobile apps

Marketing, Press & Public Reaction

Questions, Comments, FYI

  • Expanding from Developer Tools to Developer Experience (kdangoor and dbuc)

  • Etherpadifying these notes during the calls?
  • Kilimanjaro!
  • Problems with 3rd party software: a reminder that there is partner team at Mozilla, who may have a relationship with organizations whose software interacts with Mozilla products and services in sub-optimal ways. Should you come across such software and it makes you cross, please consider contacting Kev Needham, Susan Chen, and/or Stormy Peters to see if we can reach out to those orgs to make it better. Please feel free to share this with friends, family, and colleagues.

Actions this week

27-March-2012

Thunderbird Meeting Minutes: 2012-03-27

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 11:00 pm

Thunderbird/StatusMeetings/2012-03-27

last meeting | index | next meeting »

Thunderbird Meeting Details :

Remember to use headphones and mute yourself when not talking

Feel free to ask questions in the meeting either by speaking up or by asking them in #maildev on IRC.

Other ways to get in touch with us can be found on our communications page

Agenda

  • Who’s taking minutes? –> irving

  • Minute taking Schedule. Talk to Standard8 for schedule changes/additions.
  • Note: this meeting is for interactive discussion. Feel free to ask questions!

Action Items

Friends of the Tree

Thanks to our Friend of the Tree. When adding someone to this section, please get their T-Shirt size, phone number (needed for shipping!) and send it to abourcier@mozilla.com that she can send them a shirt!

ryanvm was nominated from the floor, for handling lots of checkin-needed. Standard8 will get in touch with him.

Thunderbird Development

For more details, see also the driver meeting notes.

Feature Work

Test Pilot

First study, Day in the Life, goes live this week, see [1]

Filelink (Big Files)
  • Polish continues on bugs marked blocking bug 698925.

  • Big thanks to everyone who has been testing!
Instant Messaging
  • Polish work continues on bugs filed in the “Instant Messaging” component. A few fixes have already landed in comm-central, more are coming soon.

  • Thanks for all the feedback!

Schedule and Progress

Thunderbird 11

Identified a couple of issues: IMAP hang for some people; problem when you rename a folder that is used by filters. Will ship an 11.01 probably later this week.

Thunderbird 12

No new beta build this week

Thunderbird 13
Thunderbird 14
Thunderbird 3.1.x & ESR

Working on beefing up the 3.1.x end-of-life message and getting people to upgrade

Extension of the week

  • Want to use MathML in Thunderbird, then you certainly want fonts

QA Updates

  • Usual bugzilla and release work

  • Had a test day for Filelink – found only two bugs during the event, but Daily and Earlybird users found a bunch more – Thanks to all of you who participated.

Marketing Updates

  • Thunderbird 3.1 EOL – Highlighting April 24th, 12 date on Enterprise newsgroup, modifying message on 3.1 Start Page, preparing migration video script for end-users.

  • Test Pilot blog post
  • Post about 3 new languages: Armenian, Asturian, Croatian
  • New Facebook cover page design is online

Infrastructure Update

Move to new data centre in progress, nothing new

Build / Release Update

  • Thunderbird now signed with same certificate as Firefox (bug 737891)

  • Added ‘backoff’ algorithm to failed hg clone operations (bug 687976)
  • Integrating Thunderbird test builders with Firefox staging environment
  • Building Thunderbird 11.0.1 this week instead of Thunderbird beta

Web Update

  • New Start Page

    • http://momodev.org/en-US/thunderbird/release/start

    • Some CSS tweaks still needed, sidebar should be on the right side of the viewport
    • Content wlil be stored in a JSON file with the following data points
      • Item Number(first or second or subsequent list items)

      • Date
      • Head
      • Text
      • URL
      • The page will display the content for the latest date, and you can preload content in advance. It’s up to the content creator, but ideally you can preload several weeks or even months of content so that localizers can do it all in a block. Or you can add content week-to-week.
  • Some other random website bugfixes that aren’t really important

Documentation

Support

  • Next Thunderbird Support Day will be Wed April 25th the day after TB12 release.

(If you support Thunderbird or write or translate documentation to help support Thunderbird, please subscribe to the tb-support-crew mailing list and briefly introduce yourself to the list)

  1. 1384 new support topics (1498 one week ago ) – Media:GetSatisfaction-Thunderbird-Support-Stats-19-25March-2012-2012-03-26_1537.png

  2. Thunderbird 11 Support Issues – Please edit and add any issues or bugs found in TB11 and tag them tb11 – Issue of the week is IMAP switching folders is slow and causes Thunderbird hangs for some people – bug 733731, [9 topics and 31 people appear to have this problem in GS], 4 topics in ThunderbirdMail.de german TB forum, french TB forum and 2 threads in GeckoZone French TB forum – WORKAROUND: backup your email and upgrade to TB12Beta
  3. See this week’s Support Appendix for full Get Satisfaction metrics and other support details
  4. Looking for a GSOC student to work on a TB support dashboard

Lightning Updates

Status Updates

See the Mozilla Status Board for status updates specific to developers.

Roundtable Highlights

Attendees

Standard8
mconley
bwinton
irving
jb
abourcier
jhopkins
jenzed
rtanglao
bienvenu
ludovic
florian
gozer
sancus

Mozilla Platform Meeting Minutes: 2012-03-27

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 11:00 pm

Platform/2012-03-27

« previous week | index | next week »

Platform Meeting Details

  • Tuesdays – 11:00 am Pacific

  • Dial-in: conference# 95312
    • US/International: +1 650 903 0800 x92 Conf# 95312

    • US toll free: +1 800 707 2533 (pin 369) Conf# 95312
    • Canada: +1 416 848 3114 x92 Conf# 95312
  • Warp Core Vidyo Room
  • join irc.mozilla.org #planning for back channel

Contents

Notices / Schedule

  • We’re already building FF12 beta 3 today – please take a look at the 12+ tracking list for bugs assigned to you or in modules/components you watch

    • Email release-mgmt@mo.co if you need any support in your investigation

    • Now is the time in the cycle to nominate speculative crash fixes

Firefox Development

  • pdf.js landed on trunk, thanks to efforts by Dave Townsend, Yury Delendik and the rest of the pdf.js team (bug 714712)

    • A bunch of followup bugs have been filed, including needing to sort out the problems with it being caught by our drop-in add-on install detection (bug 738674).
  • Upcoming work:
    • Web Apps system installation (bug 731054): Felipe, Tim Abraldes, Myk Melez and others have been working hard to get installable web apps support landed

    • In-content prefs, a project by a group of MSU Students (bug 718011), is getting closer to being able to land. Parts of it have landed in “UX” builds, so if you want an early preview you can check those out

Firefox Developer Tools

  • Work week last week

  • Chrome debugging demoed.
  • Fennec debugging demoed.
  • Magnifier feature written in scratchpad. To run scratchpads in browser context:
    • go to about:config, set devtools.chrome.enabled to true

    • Restart the browser
    • Start scratchpad
    • Select Environment->Browser menu item.
  • More hacks, see the writeups.
  • Some writeups:

Add-on SDK

  • Nothing to add this week

Performance

  • New, easier to remember Telemetry URL – http://mzl.la/telemetrydash

  • This week’s Snappy summary
  • Vlad landed a new Telemetry probe for slow dynamic SQL queries and updated about:telemetry to show the data.
  • Profiler
    • Ehsan landed Android stackwalking support.

    • Markus Stange (mstange) has been rocking the entire UI. See the new front end screenshot. (bug 719530)
    • Front-end now using chrome and web worker. Improved the performance of operations in the UI to support a larger profile.
  • Vlad blogged about chromehang work. Read it.
  • Vlad updated the about:telemetry add-on to show chromehang reports locally – will be released once the Symbolication Server is deployed publicly.
  • Avi has been working on fixing scrolling for OSX and Linux.
  • Peptest is enabled on try. Submit your test cases (mcote can review) for changes for which you want to measure the effect on responsiveness.
  • mccr8 has been looking to speed up CCs with two tabs open (Gmail+mozilla Wiki) by removing more stuff from the CC graph. Landed bug 735342, bug 736763, bug 735550, bug 737060.
    • Next will investigate CCs with 6 or so tabs open and reported slowdowns from add-ons.
  • Rafael identified new issues related to shutdown and has some further paths to check. bug 735697, bug 711076, bug 732173, bug 731741

GFX

JS

  • Jim Blandy and Jason Orendorff were in London for the devtools work week

    • Working together with devtools, they got chrome debugging demo’d with the built-in debugger (see also devtools update)
  • GC still blocked on Tinderbox memory leaks.

Layout

Video

  • Zzzzzz

DOM

WebAPI

Network

Identity

work week last week, khuey and ddahl in attendance. Worked out components needed for navigator.id native implementation. Diagram and bugs to follow.

Plugins

Mobile

Accessibility

Tree Management

  • b2g builds starting on m-c today, project branches and try

    • checks that people don’t break the b2g build and packaging

    • uploads build logs
    • does not currently upload packages
    • run as an extra job on each push and as part of the nightly
    • will show up on tbpl once new tbpl code is pushed out (bug 738891)
  • Infrastructure load for january and february

    • 4th month in a row of record # of checkins. 4,027 checkins in february!

    • new record of 223 checkins per day on feb 23
  • tcheckerboard and trobopan tests enabled for m-c/m-i today for native fennec builds

Security

Security Reviews & Threat Modeling Sessions Scheduled for this week

Date / Time Item
Mon Mar 25 / 13:00 PST None
Wed Mar 28 / 13:00 PST Geolocation WebAPI
Thu Mar 29 / 10:00 PST AVAILABLE
Fri Mar 30 / 10:00 AM PST AVAILABLE

Calendar and Meeting details

General Meeting Details 
* IRC Channel: #security 
* Etherpad: http://etherpad.mozilla.com:9000/secreview 
* Vidyo: https://v.mozilla.com/flex.html?roomdirect.html&key=5XEMsG1ApA4b (Room 9058)
* Dial-in Info (phone): 
** In office or soft phone: extension 92 
** US/INTL: 650-903-0800 or 650-215-1282 then extension 92 
** Toronto: 416-848-3114 then extension 92 
** Toll-free: 800-707-2533 then password 369 
** Conference num 99058

For updates to meetings please see the Security Review Calendar

Security Review Needed but Unscheduled

Review Needed

  • Feature pages triaged to need review, review unscheduled
Feature Feature List Target Rel Prod Mgr Lead Engr Security lead Security status Security notes Last Modified
Client-side XPI construction Jetpack Add-on Builder 2 Daniel Buchner Piotr Zalewa/Sean McArthur ` sec-review-needed ` 2011-07-13T22:16:04
Add-On Tab API ` Add-on SDK 1.5 David Mason ` Dan Veditz sec-review-needed ` 2012-01-11T22:10:27
B2G App Security Model ` B2G 1.0 Lucas Adamski Jonas Sicking, Chris Jones Paul Theriault sec-review-needed sched with curtis 2012-03-26T02:34:36
Migrate Chrome settings and data Desktop Firefox 11 Asa Dotzler Makoto Kato, Marco Bonardo ` sec-review-needed ` 2012-03-13T14:03:25
Style Editor Desktop Firefox 11 Kevin Dangoor Cedric Vivier ` sec-review-needed ` 2012-03-27T18:16:36
Hang Detector and Reporter Desktop Firefox 13 Asa Dotzler Vladan Djeric ` sec-review-needed please sched with curtisk 2012-03-15T00:50:19
Enhancements to help mitigate search hijacking Desktop Firefox 13 Asa Dotzler Gavin Sharp Al Billings sec-review-needed ` 2012-03-26T13:53:10
Easy UI Feature Testing and “Success Evaluation” (integrate TestPilot like features) ` Firefox 13 ` ` ` sec-review-needed Please schedule with curtisk 2012-03-02T23:41:56
Windows 8 Metro Firefox Desktop Firefox 14 Asa Dotzler ` ` sec-review-needed sched with curtisk 2012-03-21T14:37:05
Speedy Session Restore Desktop Firefox 14 Asa Dotzler Dietrich Ayala ` sec-review-needed schedule with curtsk 2012-03-23T21:28:40
In-content preferences Desktop Firefox 15 Jared Wein Devan Sayles ` sec-review-needed when ready sched w/ curtisk 2012-01-25T22:43:11
DOMCryptAPI (a Crypto API in the DOM) Platform Firefox 15? Chris Blizzard David Dahl Brian Smith sec-review-needed ` 2012-02-07T03:07:24
Better rendering of fonts for Windows Platform Firefox 7 Chris Blizzard ` ` sec-review-needed small team review Christoph, bsterne, John Daggett 2011-10-13T00:23:00
FlightDeck as a Client-side App Jetpack FlightDeck 1.0 Daniel Buchner Sean McArthur ` sec-review-needed when ready sched w/ curtisk 2012-01-25T22:43:38
IndexedDB Support for Multi-Process Firefox Platform Future, distant future. Chris Blizzard ` ` sec-review-needed 2011.10.17: sid recommends we wait on this one but likely needs a review. 2011-11-10T19:14:59
Sharing textures cross-process for Electrolysis Platform Q4 of 2011. Chris Blizzard Chris Jones ` sec-review-needed ` 2011-10-13T16:52:42
SDK Support for Firefox for Mobile Addons Jetpack TBD David Mason Matteo Ferretti ` sec-review-needed ` 2011-08-12T17:06:55
Sign into the browser Other TBD Dan Mills Ben Adida ` sec-review-needed when ready sched w/ curtisk 2012-03-13T00:19:25
Tip of the day Thunderbird Thunderbird 11 Jean-Baptiste Piacentino Sancus ` sec-review-needed ` 2012-03-08T16:54:08
Modern MIME Parser Thunderbird Thunderbird 14? ` Joshua Cranmer ` sec-review-needed sched with curtisk 2012-03-02T23:51:32
Modern Address Book – V1 Thunderbird Under revision ` Mike Conley ` sec-review-needed ` 2012-01-12T19:38:14
Blocklist UX enhancements [Plug-ins] Desktop ` Kev Needham ` ` sec-review-needed ` 2012-01-30T05:35:09
Use PFS2 as Plugin Finder data source Desktop ` Kev Needham ` ` sec-review-needed ` 2011-11-10T10:54:09
Add plugincheck functionality to Add-on Manager Desktop ` Kev Needham ` ` sec-review-needed ` 2011-10-24T21:28:12

Bugs marked sec-review-needed that need to be scheduled

ID Summary Status Priority
738698 [meta] Users should have the ability to activate plugins on demand NEW
549697 Add click-to-start form of disabled plugins (Add-on manager) NEW
733414 SecReview for SocialAPI NEW
735075 Sec Review: Distributed Events platform NEW
649154 Implement DOMCrypt (Internal) API NEW
711618 implement click to play permission model NEW
585958 webapps OS level integration : Maemo NEW
567365 Cache-Control no-cache on https page disables history NEW
664636 Thunderbird should (semi-)automatically improve the security-related server configuration settings when it knows an improvement could be made NEW
664637 Thunderbird auto-configuration database should be expanded & updated by regularly spidering every domain on the internet NEW
674047 Teach FileSaver to take URIs as well NEW
677302 Preffing out CSS should be easier NEW
722126 Can’t transfer File objects with postMessage cross domain NEW
729320 IndexedDB: Provide some amount of storage without a prompt NEW
80713 Need a way to specify an auto-height (size) for an IFRAME such that the frame is given the full height of the contained content (moz-seamless, part of seamless iframes) ASSIGNED
674720 WebContacts (or Contacts+) RESOLVED
674726 WebTelephony RESOLVED
728341 Security Review for Beta Release of App RESOLVED
706545 Implement a sync engine for apps exposed by navigator.mozApps RESOLVED

Stability Report

  • Planning a stability work week in MV – either June 11th or June 18th.

Socorro

  • Another incremental release landing on Wednesday

    • A lot of skiplist additions, mostly concerning desktop, e.g. MOZ_Crash signature which is #1 on Nightly right now.

    • Visual indicator for startup crashes coming to topcrash lists.
  • A lot of ongoing work focused on getting ElasticSearch working.
  • Proposal for user-facing priorities for Socorro in Q2 is up for discussion, but needs some more work and input.

Desktop

Channels

  • Release – FF11

    • Crash rate looks pretty good

    • Some increase in hangs related to Flash Version 11.1.x: bug 739445
  • Beta – FF12
    • bug 725503 – still a concern. Something new that appeared in FF12 but haven’t been able to isolate a clear regression range or STR.

    • Tracking Firefox 12
  • Aurora – FF13
  • Nightly – FF14
    • Spike up in crashes yesterday

    • bug 739027 – crash in nsXPConnect::Push
    • bug 739024 – crash in nsHttpPipeline::WriteSegments
    • bug 739023 – crash in nsHttpChannel::OnDataAvailable
    • bug 739147 – crash in nsHttpConnectionMgr::PostEvent
    • bug 739400 – crash in mozglue@0x79be

Mobile

Fennec Native – Nightly

Other Channels

  • Fennec Native – Aurora

    • 13.48% bug 738977 java.lang.RuntimeException: An error occured while executing doInBackground() at

    • 6.19% bug 730890 libdvm.so@0x50a0e
    • 5.36% bug 730688 java.lang.RuntimeException: Unable to resume activity {org.mozilla.fennec_aurora
  • XUL – Beta
  • Note: Beta numbers has been fixed; bug 737069
  • ESR
    • 33.03% Java_org_mozilla_gecko_GeckoAppShell_reportJavaCrash

      • Needs to be pushed to XUL : bug 701002 – Put Java stacks into a separate field (not AppNotes)
    • 26.05% bug 694964 gfxSharedImageSurface::Open
    • 7.15% bug 715831 js::RegExpPrivate::executeInternal

Roundtable

26-March-2012

Mozilla Project Meeting Minutes: 2012-03-26

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 11:00 pm

WeeklyUpdates/2012-03-26

« previous week | index | next week »

  • Dial-in: conference# 8600

    • US/International: +1 650 903 0800 x92 Conf# 8600

    • US toll free: +1 800 707 2533 (pin 369) Conf# 8600
    • Canada: +1 416 848 3114 x92 Conf# 8600

Contents

All-hands Status Meeting Agenda

Items in this section will be shared during the live all-hand status meeting.

Friends of the Tree

The SUMO team would like to recognize these awesome people for helping users at the Firefox Clinic on Saturday: Dylan Verdi, Zhenshuo Fang, Tim Watts, James Ouyang, Crystal Beasley, Matthew Claypotch, Amy Tsay, Cori Schauer and Dan Callahan.

The snappy team would like to recognize Markus Stange for his outstanding contributions to the upcoming Gecko Profiler.

QA would like to recognize LightWaveX for finding a performance regression in Firefox 14.0a1 (bug 738709) during our Silent Update testday last Friday (not a Silent Update regression)

Upcoming Events

This Week

Monday, 26 March

Tuesday, 27 March

Brownbag Presenter Time Description
What Has the UR Team Been Up To? User Research Team 12:00pm PST – 10 Forward TBA
The War on Orange, soup to nuts Mark Côté 4:00pm TOR/ 1:00pm 10F – TOR Commons An introduction to the War on Orange, an effort to dig into the spectre of intermittent failures at Mozilla.

For those new to automation at Mozilla, I’ll include background on buildbot and tbpl. I’ll also talk about some upcoming features of the War on Orange.

Wednesday, 28 March

Brownbag Presenter Time Description
Getting Community involved in BugDays – lessons from the Past Asa Dotzler 4:00PM UTC-7 TBA

Thursday, 29 March

Friday, 30 March

Brownbag Presenter Time Description
Mozilla Crash Analysis and Investigation Marcia Knous 12:00pm PST – 10 Forward Stability is an important part of the Mozilla mission. Mozilla uses the Socorro tool to catch, process, and present crash data for Desktop and Mobile Firefox, Thunderbird, Camino, and Seamonkey. The CrashKill team then takes that data, analyzes it, detects trends, and drives the crash bugs to resolution. This presentation will give a general overview of the crash analysis and investigation process as well as some fascinating insight into how the team uses the Socorro tool to help keep the browser stable.

Next Week

Product Status Updates (voice updates)

Firefox Desktop

Speaker Location: toronto (johnath)

  • Google searches now SSL by default! bug 633773

  • New about:home and new tab pages landed, file bugs!
  • The dev tools team had a work week last week and made some pretty things, stay tuned!

Mobile Firefox

Speaker Location: toronto (johnath)

  • The new rendering code landed last week on Nightly, getting close to Aurora uplift, file bugs!

    • Remember, Fennec isn’t riding the trains, so we need bugs early, before we send it to our beta users

Thunderbird

Speaker Location:

Older Branch Work

Speaker Location:

Popcorn

(no voice update this week)

Identity

Speaker Location:

Services

Speaker Location:

Speakers

The limit is 3 minutes per speaker. It’s like a lightning talk, but don’t feel that you have to have slides in order to make a presentation.

Title Presenter Topic Media More Details
Bugzilla Usage for Security Curtis Koenig (remote) Changes to Whiteboard and Keyword usage in Bugzilla for security. http://htmlpad.org/BugSec/# https://wiki.mozilla.org/Security_Severity_Ratings/Merge
The new PTO app Peter Bengtsson Teaser of soon-to-be-launched PTO app replacement http://people.mozilla.com/~pbengtsson/pto-presentation/slides.html peterbe@#webdev

Introducing New Hires

New Hire Introduced by Speaker location Will be working on
Who is the new hire? Who will be introducing that person? From which office will that introduction be transmitted? What will the new person be working on?
Sahaja James Lal Faramarz Rashed Mountain View, CA Software Engineer
Kristin Baird Peter Scanlon San Francisco, CA Director, Campaign Management

Introducing New Interns

New Intern Introduced by Speaker location Will be working on
Who is the new intern? Who will be introducing that person? From which office will that introduction be transmitted? What will the new person be working on?

Roundtable

<meta>

Notes and non-voice status updates that aren’t part of the live meeting go here.

Status Updates By Team (*non-voice* updates)

Firefox

Platform

Services

Messaging

Mobile

IT

Release Engineering

QA

Test Execution

WebQA

  • Affiliates

    • Successful 03/14/12 release

    • Many thanks to rshetty !
  • AMO
    • TeamRo is rolling on the testday

    • Thanks for klrmn for the pull request
  • Jetpack Builder (aka FlightDeck)
  • Mozilla.com
  • Mozillians
  • MDN
  • Socorro
  • SUMO
    • no news is good news, due to Continuous Deployment
  • Case Conductor
    • We are hunting for a new name for the tool- add your 2 cents via the survey: Mystery Name survey

QA Community

Automation Services

Automation & Tools

Security

Security Reviews & Threat Modeling Sessions Scheduled for this week

Date / Time Item
Mon Mar 19 / 13:00 PST None
Wed Mar 20 / 13:00 PST AVAILABLE
Thu Mar 15 / 10:00 PST AVAILABLE
Fri Mar 16 / 10:00 AM PST AVAILABLE

Calendar and Meeting details

General Meeting Details 
* IRC Channel: #security 
* Etherpad: http://etherpad.mozilla.com:9000/secreview 
* Vidyo: https://v.mozilla.com/flex.html?roomdirect.html&key=5XEMsG1ApA4b (Room 9058)
* Dial-in Info (phone): 
** In office or soft phone: extension 92 
** US/INTL: 650-903-0800 or 650-215-1282 then extension 92 
** Toronto: 416-848-3114 then extension 92 
** Toll-free: 800-707-2533 then password 369 
** Conference num 99058

For updates to meetings please see the Security Review Calendar

Security Review Needed but Unscheduled

Engagement

PR

Events

Creative Team

Community Marketing

Support

Metrics

Evangelism

Labs

Apps

Developer Tools

Add-ons

Webdev

L10n

People Team

WebFWD

Foundation Updates

22-March-2012

Mobile Meeting Minutes: 2012-03-21

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 12:00 am

Mobile/Notes/21-Mar-2012

Contents

Details

  • Wednesdays – 9:30am Pacific, 12:30pm Eastern, 16:30 UTC

  • Dial-in: conference# 95312
    • US/International: +1 650 903 0800 x92 Conf# 95312

    • US toll free: +1 800 707 2533 (pin 369) Conf# 95312
    • Canada: +1 416 848 3114 x92 Conf# 95312
  • irc.mozilla.org #mobile for backchannel
  • Warp Core Vidyo Room

Schedule

  • Next merge is 2012-04-24

Major Topics for This Week

Aurora uplift
We started the normal process of requesting approval for patches we’d like to see uplifted from m-c to m-a. This will not be the “any and all patches” process we were using previously. We have crash fixes and blockers that will likely move to Aurora.

Stand ups

Suggested format:

  • What did you do last week?

  • What are working on this week?
  • Anything blocking you?

Please keep your update to under 2 minutes!

James W. (snorp)

  • Last Week

    • Fixed Flash lifecycle bugs (still, again, etc)
  • This Week

    • Fixed another Flash lifecycle bug (sigh)

    • Worked keyboard and fullscreen support for Flash, thought about solutions for some crashes. Likely need some reworking of how we interact with Flash.

Kats

Last week

  • Generally working on fallout from viewport stuff and trying to tackle the checkerboarding problem with prediction and display port adjustment

  • bug 729646 – Rotation handling for background tabs
  • bug 735612 – Synchronization error when modifying viewport
  • bug 736125 – javac 7 compilation warnings
  • bug 727966 – unnecessary drawing during rotation
  • bug 727236 – css viewport height was incorrectly calculated
  • bug 731603 – take the beginDrawing/endDrawing JNI calls out of the critical draw path
  • bug 737630 – take out improperly duplicated code

Next week

  • more of the same

GBrown

Last week:

  • Reftest failures: bugs 734456, 732535

  • Robocop: bugs 735461, 737411, 735856, 736246
  • Screenshot: bugs 723251, 700776, 703295, 698718

This week:

  • Focus on reftests

  • Continue with screenshot bugs

Chris Lord (cwiiis)

  • Last week

    • bug 732756 – [maple] Checkerboard sometimes shows up with squashed aspect ratio [fixed]

    • bug 732917 – MAPLE: Texture upload causes significant pauses during panning/flinging [fixed]
    • bug 736729 – Display port needs to be recalculated on page-size change
  • This week

    • bug 736850 – crash in mozilla::layers::ShadowBufferOGL::EnsureTexture [fixed]

    • bug 736729 – Display port needs to be recalculated on page-size change [fixed]
    • bug 737434 – Textures get deleted and recreated on resize
    • bug 732016 – Maple: scrollIntoView does not clamp to the page size

Chris Peterson

  • Last Week

    • bug 731034 – crash [@ java.lang.IndexOutOfBoundsException: charAt: 1 >= length 1: at android.text.SpannableStringBuilder.charAt(SpannableStringBuilder.java)]

    • bug 733196 – Landscape VKB should not be fullscreen when entering text into a web form
    • bug 721006 – Crash when setting a very large document.title (java.lang.OutOfMemoryError @ android.text.StaticLayout.generate(StaticLayout.java:138))
    • bug 726393 – crash [@ java.lang.NullPointerException: at org.mozilla.gecko.GeckoInputConnection.processKeyDown(GeckoInputConnection.java) ]

GCP

  • Last week:

    • bug 727370 – Bad(?) files in safebrowsing folder in user profile prevent loading any site after installing update

    • bug 729532 Improve first-run profile import experience
    • bug 725150 Need logic to prevent sync and profile migration happening at the same time
  • This week:
    • bug 725150 Need logic to prevent sync and profile migration happening at the same time

    • bug 721898 – Specify history truncation behavior, ensure that implementation matches specification
    • bug 716729 Identify root cause of favicon crash on some Honeycomb/ICS devices’ Bookmarks database
  • Blockers:
    • None

Brian N

  • Done

    • bug 732818 – Current URL not shown when awesomebar tapped, after using “open link in new tab” on downloads

    • Investigated bug 719972 – Tapping on the “Visit Site” button on an Untrusted Connection page doesn’t seem to work
    • bug 718240 – Fennec carries out a full session restore when killed
    • bug 735469 – Autocomplete list not filtered until space is entered
    • Investigated bug 725428 – content area goes black and then dark checkerboard before pageload during startup
  • Next
    • bug 737782 – Keywords added to bookmarks are not saved

Sriram

  • Last week:

    • Investigated reasons behind activity not resuming with “don’t keep activities” option – bug 730688

    • Fixed bottom center area in Tabs-tray to consume click events – bug 734880
    • Investigated strict mode violation for class instance limit – bug 735238
      • Found this to be false alarm.
    • Worked on proof-of-concept to show “custom menu”
  • This week:
    • Finally found the reason behind inflation crash in BrowserToolbar – bug 727454

      • Fix for this now flashes the Fennec UI as soon as the application icon is pressed — even on first run.
    • Found the grey band in URL bar is because ibarlow confuses android ;) bug 727438
      • Fixed it with 2 options. Patch will land today.
    • Fixed strict mode violation on database objects not closed – bug 736296
    • Found that flashing of URL bar has nothing to do with our code – bug 735741
    • Cleanup up about:home with re-usable UI components – bug 735741
    • Fixed remote tabs with empty title on about:home – bug 736455
    • Faster query and priority based AsyncTask – bug 734893
    • Investigated the way “custom views” are shown and found that we should be using LayoutInflater.Factory
  • Blockers:
    • None.

WesJ

Last week:

  • bug 735553 – Touch events have the wrong timestamp

  • bug 735676 – Clear private data should clear passwords
  • bug 735912 – Setup password/formhistory database on upgrade/install
  • bug 722965 – Remove MOZ_TOUCH #ifdefs from platform
  • bug 709250 – Nested jar access in Android
  • Poking my fingers at the Windows metro stuff
  • Poking my fingers at remote debugging

This week:

  • bug 728224 – Default bookmarks. Fighting some race conditions in tests.

  • bug 732052 – Touch events for scales
  • bug 730985 – Snap back scroll when we get preventDefault halfway through a pan
  • bug 718463 – Tap during zoom leaves page blurry

Blockers:

LucasR

Last week

  • bug 735636 – PromptService list view has bad scroll performance

  • bug 737867 – Apply ViewHolder pattern on AwesomeBar listviews
  • bug 708149 – Handling of unsupported bookmark records
  • bug 730105 – top sites takes almost 3 seconds to load content
  • Attending DevTools Work Week (part-time)
    • Discussing remote inspector/debugger for web pages in Fennec
  • Tons of patch reviews

Next week

  • Fix rest of my beta/1.0 blockers

  • Document mobile devtools plans/ideas
  • PTO on Friday and Monday morning

Blockers

  • None

MBrubeck

Done:

  • bug 737692 – Touch-friendly styles for menulists and textboxes in add-on options (awaiting review)

  • bug 736995 – Disable share command for resource: URIs
  • bug 737582 – Remove redundant Android theme files (shrinks APK by 250KB)
  • bug 735874 – Show/hide the options when an add-on is enabled/disabled

Next:

  • Various blocker bugs

Margaret

Done:

  • Fix back button behavior and folder header style in bookmarks UI – bug 732104

  • Ignore “All Bookmarks” folder and its badly rooted parent – bug 731267
  • Only show mobile bookmarks folder contents if there are no desktop bookmarks – bug 727449
  • Awesomeness calculation should use nicer recency decay – bug 704977
  • Show bookmarks in awesomebar results – bug 721731
    • Needs some updated patches
  • Style HTML5 form validation popup – bug 731654
    • Needs review

Next:

Scott (jwir3)

Done

  • Bug 708187: titles bleed out of divs on marketwatch.com

Next

  • Bug 708175: fixed width buttons shouldn’t have their text inflated

  • Bug 722700: Font inflation NOT working at all on some sections of GDGT.com

Other

  • Next week is a layout workweek in SF, so I’ll be there.

  • I’ll also be in SF working through April 5th, so if you would like to meet, I should be available.

BLassey

Last week:

  • bug 735790 fix tab thumnail zooming (black bars for zoomed in tabs)

  • bug 734624 crash from race condition in favicon saving
  • went through all the readability bugs with dbaron

MFinkle

Done:

  • Reviews! I love them!

  • Triage
  • Started working on the roadmap
  • Minor code fixes

Next:

  • Focus on Beta

  • More details in roadmap

Madhava

  • note: I have no voice today — I won’t talk; don’t ask me.

  • post-v1 things; making sure next features are spec-ed out for our fine developers
    • with priorities!

Ian Barlow

Last Week

  • Tablet UI

  • Misc blocker bugs

This Week

Patryk Adamczyk

Last Week

  • Worked on Win 8 initial UI spec and looking how to integrate mobile ideas into the metro design for tablets.

This Week

  • Bug 736599 going to provide needed assets < crash report window
  • Whoever is ready to start tackling reader mode, contact me, Bug 696921

  • Overall my contribution to Android Fennec will become more limited as I spend more time on B2G > ie working with Ian to port the great native fennec experience into the Gaia / B2G platform.

GFX

  • Working on dealing with the crash reports, particularly handle GLContext when we go in the background.

  • Working on a Tiled layer to work around several performance problems.

Round Table

QA

  • What is this work Jim is doing with Win 8 Metro? (See recent bugmail)

  • FF12 b2 testing this week
  • Triaging as usual, including Sync android bugs in Mozilla Services::Android Sync
  • Nightly testing, preparing for Aurora uplift
  • Started device and website compatibility testing against nightlies

SUMO

  • Last week: Getting started with mobile article updated (all major mobile tasks on native), telemetry article for nightly and aurora); Updated support home page and topic pages for mobile: https://support.allizom.org/en-US/mobile (based on new usability report from Neilsen)

  • This week: New privacy & security article, update screens for all other articles
  • Next week: SUMO work week, will be offsite next Wednesday

Project Management

  • Targeting April 16th (or earlier) as “zero” bug day

  • Does it sound sane to shoot for May 14 (4 weeks later) as “zero” bug day for release?
  • When I know the above is something we all agree on, I can roll that into metrics so we have a better idea of where we stand
  • We have been at 53 beta blocking bugs for a couple of days but overall trending is fairly healthy

Firefox/Gecko Delivery Meeting Minutes: 2012-03-21

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 12:00 am

Firefox/Planning/2012-03-21

« previous week | index | next week »

Planning Meeting Details

  • Wednesdays – 11:00am PDT, 18:00 UTC

  • Mountain View Offices: Warp Core Conference Room
  • Toronto Offices: Finch Conference Room
  • irc.mozilla.org #planning for backchannel
  • (the developer meeting takes place on Tuesdays)

Video/Teleconference Details – NEW

  • 650-903-0800 or 650-215-1282 x92 Conf# 95312 (US/INTL)

  • 1-800-707-2533 (pin 369) Conf# 95312 (US)
  • Vidyo Room: Warp Core
  • Vidyo Guest URL
REMEMBER

These notes are read by people who weren’t able to attend the meeting. Please make sure to include links and context so they can be understood.

Contents

Actions from Last Week

  • More than 20 of you filled out the “How effective is this meeting?” survey, thank you!

    • Mean and Median results for usefulness were 8/10, which is lovely to hear

    • There was also some concrete feedback that I’ll think about/work on

Schedule & Progress on Upcoming Releases

Firefox Desktop

Release (3.6, 11, 10esr)

  • FF11 was completely unthrottled yesterday (3/20) after evaluating crashes/feedback

    • General post-mortem to be held next Wednesday – meeting incoming
  • Major update from FF3.6 to FF11 went out yesterday
  • Preparations are being made for 3.6 EOL and FF13′s support changes

    • Please attend Tuesday/Thursday channel meetings at 2PM PT in Warp Core to bring up any unaddressed concerns

Beta (12)

  • Firefox 12 beta 2 to be released Friday, includes a fix for bug 725152

Aurora (13)

  • Aurora 13 updates were enabled Monday (3/19)

Nightly (14)

  • [10.7] add fullscreen support for Mac OS X 10.7 Lion

  • Use Google’s HTTPS search by default
  • about:home Visual Refresh & Launcher
  • Make toolbar buttons borderless in the default state
  • Adjust toolbar color for Australis
  • Find in Page: always centering highlighted result makes it hard to see relative positions of multiple results

Firefox Mobile

  • Schedule for first native release

    • we plan to ship mobile off of FF13, this will involve significant uplift to aurora over the next few weeks

Firefox Sync

  • New:

    • Sync will be supporting Boot2Gecko

      • requires the Desktop client async rewrite, browsierid integration, & sync 2.0
    • log4moz will be leaving /services to /toolkit
      • and will get updated and made async as well. \o/
  • Bears Repeating:
    • App Sync for App store (‘aitc’, Apps In The Cloud): In Progress

      • expected out in June.

      • for Marketplace, durable storage for app receipts, Note: sync is not building the client portion, only the server
    • Android Sync : In Progress
    • Sync 2.0 protocol/Persona(BrowserID) auth integration: In Progress
      • THIS WILL BE A FLAG DAY: clients will not be backwards compatible or interoperable with existing versions

      • representing significant changes on front & back ends
      • if you know someone maintaining a sync client outside of Firefox Desktop & Android Sync, tell them to talk to :ally asap: 2.0 will break their code

Add-on Builder

  • weekly push today

  • roadmap with last accepted features and support path will be published by EOW

Add-on SDK

Release (1.5 -> Firefox 10, 11)

  • Nothing new to report

Stabilization (1.6 -> Firefox 11, 12)

  • Pushed Add-on SDK 1.6RC1 yesterday

    • Landed brand new, prettified docs
  • Still on track to release 3 April, 2012

Development (1.7 -> Firefox 12, 13)

Other Add-ons News

Identity

Apps

  • WebRT Mobile

    • Wrapping up one round of work on Android WebRT using WebKit

    • Scoping effort around Android WebRT using Gecko with mobile team
  • WebRT Desktop
    • Days away from landing patches for native app install and launch for FF14
  • App submissions live at https://marketplace.mozilla.org/
  • Come see what’s new in Apps at the weekly Show and Tells Fridays at 12pm PST

Feedback Summary

Desktop

  • Firefox 11 was a pretty light release SUMO-wise (Input-wise, average). Here are the top issues and their status(es):

    • Complaints about the new image viewer (and it breaking some sites/extensions)

    • An increase in the number of people losing bookmarks/passwords/sessions on update: [1][2][3][4][5][6]
    • Microsoft Security Essentials hangs Firefox when downloading files (possibly fixed)
    • Slow page loads after update (may be caused by NoScript): [7]
    • Print Selection instead prints a blank page bug 736915
    • Links opening in a new tab or new tab loading in a new window. Caused by Tab Utilities, since fixed.

Mobile

UX & User Research

Market Insights

Desktop / Platform

Google

  • A Google Chrome developer posted a detailed Google+ post about how the team is working embedding a full DNS resolver in Chrome in an effort to improve performance.

  • The Google NativeClient team posted some of their presentations at the Game Developers Conference on the web, noting that NaCl “runs C/C++ code in a web page, without plugins.” Google is presenting NaCl as part of an overall solution to enable traditional game developers to reach new users on the web. “We like to say that Chrome is the modern gaming browser.”
  • The V8 Javascript engine team released an updated V8 benchmark, which now includes 2D fluid dynamics simulations. The team notes that Chromium 19 performs 25% better on the benchmark than version 17.
  • Chrome, in development builds, now has an experimental Managed Mode API, which will “allows one person to manage the Chrome experience for another person by pre-configuring and then locking a managed User profile.”

Microsoft

  • Microsoft released more information about “enhanced protected mode” for IE10. Among other changes, instances of Internet Explorer running in the Metro interface will require specific permissions to access different aspects of the operating system, eg the Documents folder, using an extension of the “brokering” system first released with IE8. Networking restrictions will also reduce threats to intranets from malicious internet applications. Currently, Adobe Flash is incompatible with the technology.

  • Bloomberg reported that Windows 8 will launch in October.

Opera

WebOS

  • HP launched the openwebosproject.org website, and noted that its Nyx platform portability layer, merged with version 3.3 of the Linux Standard Kernel, had been released.

Mobile

Summary below, full update here and in your inbox.

  • ICS 4.0.5 update rumoured for the Galaxy Nexus

  • China now leads the world in iOS and Android activations
  • Samsung Galaxy S III said to launch in April
  • Microsoft unveiled Windows Phone 7 Tango for the Chinese market
  • Nokia is working on a Windows 8 tablet
  • Dolphin browser has a new website
  • Some free Android apps use more energy to display ads than for core function
  • Android and iOS have taken over the majority of revenue in the US portable gaming industry
  • Sony releases open source code for Xperia S ROM
  • Sony release new “floating touch” screen technology

Marketing, Press & Public Reaction

Marketing

  • Desktop

    • Working on Blog posts for next release cycle

    • Product Narratives for 2012
    • Feature Based Release Plan
    • 3.6 EOL
  • Mobile
    • Will be sending out tablet ad campaign report end of this week

    • Preparing for Beta launch
    • Finalizing plans and starting to execute for GA launch

Press

Questions, Comments, FYI

Actions this week

21-March-2012

SeaMonkey Meeting Minutes: 2012-03-20

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 12:00 am

SeaMonkey/StatusMeetings/2012-03-20

« last meeting | index | next meeting »

SeaMonkey Meeting Details

Contents

Agenda

  • Who’s taking minutes? -> Ratty

  • Nominees for Friends of the Fish Tank:
    • Callek nominated Serge Gautherie for outstanding work above and beyond the call of duty in fixing perma-orange tests.

Action Items

(who needs to do what that hasn’t been recorded in a bug) We should assign people to the open items.

NEW

  • IanN to arrange with Jeff to send a tee-shirt or something to Serge (FotFT).

OPEN

CLOSED

Status of the SeaMonkey Buildbot Master and Tree

  • Current Issues with existing machines:

    • There are problems with some hosts on parallels, current plan is to build the Parallels VMs on ESX instead once scl3 has network and power to the new ESX cluster.

    • One win VM, switched from FAT32 to NTFS for one of its drives, need to recreate folders appropriately.
    • The remaining windows iX machine was fixed, imaged, and racked just yesterday for Callek to finish off.
    • There was an issue with one of the linux parallels VMs again, which required a chkdisk and repair to occur on the disk, but is back in service now.
  • “Where do we stand with the machine(s) right now?”
    • bug 721516 migrate seamonkey systems out of sjc1/scl2 and into scl3/scl1.

      • (2012-03-07)

        • “r4 minis: to be moved to scl3 on the B train 3/12″

        • “r2/r3 minis: to be moved to scl1 on the C train on 3/26″
        • “iX hosts: to be moved to scl3 on the C train on 3/26″
        • “VM’s: to be moved to scl3 when ESX is ready”
        • The 14 HP DL160 servers have arrived in SCL3. They have been assigned to rack 101-23. Matt will follow up with dcops to locate and finish these hosts.
      • + 8(+) blocking bugs.
  • Do we have console access or is it just remote shell?.
    • Callek says: On the mac machines, we can launch in with VM tools, or we can shell in. For Parallels we can only access the actual VM images but not the overall host.

Release Train

  • 2.8 shipped on 13th March.

  • 2.9b1 will probably spin tonight or early tomorrow, for a probable Friday 23 release.
    • This will include a major POP3 bugfix from the Thunderbird developers.

Extensions Compatibility Tracking

We need some help with the add-ons listed under the “2.0x” heading. Anything above it will work out of the box with SM 2.7 and later (yay to compatible-by-default!). Perhaps Ratty can go through his xSidebar site and check which add-ons are not compatible with at least SM 2.1 – that would help, too.

  • Since xSidebar itself is not compatible with any recent SM version, it should not be listed as a featured add-on on AMO. Who can make that change?

    • KaiRo said he did, but it’s still featured for at least en-US and de locales.

    • If anyone wants to suggest add-ons to be featured, send them to InvisibleSmiley (in manageable doses that is).
  • Addon Compatibility Listings, mostly maintained by InvisibleSmiley

    • Recent changes can be found here.
  • Enigmail provides versions for release (AMO) and all branches (Enigmail nightly page). The current release is compatible with both 2.7 and 2.8.
  • Lightning provides versions for the current stable and beta releases (AMO) and nightlies for trunk and Aurora (Calendar Versions page). The current release is compatible with 2.8. Lightning 1.4b2 which will work with SM 2.9bX is also available (AMO Development Channel).
  • Firebug is compatible but not flagged as such on AMO (depends on automatic tests being set up and run on the Firebug side: bug 680837, needs a Python coder). Stable Firebug version 1.9.x works with any recent SM version. FB 1.10a5 works with trunk, though it eats some shortcuts (Issue 5285).
  • Besides the above, we should also take a look at other add-ons that are important for our users when they switch to 2.x.
  • The SeaMonkey Features page links to sub-pages for all recent SM versions, including those in development. Please help InvisibleSmiley add major features to the respective pages, ideally as they land. These pages are used when creating release notes, so the more up-to-date the better.
  • bug 666303 (Seamonkey 2.1 and newer are detected as Firefox 2.1 and newer on the Add-on Site) and bug 671085 Confusing compatibility error when visiting Firefox listing page using SeaMonkey)
    • We don’t have a dedicated person here who understands how AMO really works, who to contact in order to actually get things moving etc. Unfortunately. Someone needs to sit down and find the offending logic, wherever it may be (probably in the AMO source, at github).

2.x (Last, Current, Next)

  • 2.7 had ~88,200 ADU by last Tuesday and 2.7.2 has had ~111,400 downloads so far.

    • Of the released versions, as of last Tuesday, we have 16.4% on 2.0, 5.6% on 2.1-2.3, 4.1% on 2.4, 3.4% on 2.5, 6.7% on 2.6 and 63.8% on 2.7. So, in the last two weeks, ~2k (an additional 1.7% of ADU) have migrated to 2.6 or above.
  • Still a large, but slowly decreasing, chunk of users on 2.0.x.
  • Figure out what is preventing people from moving from 2.0.x to the latest versions.
    • Some people cannot upgrade due to system requirements (OS version, processor capabilities etc.)

    • Perhaps putting resources into getting certain extensions working with SM 2.4 and above (those that won’t work with SM 2.7 automatically due to compatible-by-default extensions).
    • Still need volunteers to look at what is keeping people at below 2.4. IanN could try knocking something up and send it round members lists for polishing but he’s not on all the channels (mozillazine, etc) to post it to when finished.
    • Are some Linux distributions are still stuck on 2.0? We have data on OSes and OS versions in the raw data in the Mozilla metrics, AFAIK, Callek now also has access to that.

Usual reminders:

  • Please make sure that anything that landed on comm-beta (for TB) or mozilla-beta (for FF) which affected non-shared code and which fixed regressions will be fixed on our side, too. Please mark bugs we feel *need* to land on a particular train tracking+ or tracking? so that when we to do a release we can be sure that we don’t miss anything.

    • Priority should be given to fixing regressions ASAP. Also keep an eye on and prioritize bugs to be ported from FF/TB that land on branches (Aurora, Beta). We need to keep an eye especially on Session Restore, Sync, Tabbrowser and Address Book.

    • Be careful not to break code shared with Thunderbird, otherwise patches might have to be backed out of string frozen repositories.

2.8

open tracking (0)
tracking requests (0)
targeted (0)
fixed (15)

  • InvisibleSmiley created a restartless add-on (available on AMO) for SM 2.8 which adds an “Add-ons” options to the list of engines on the Sync pref panel.
  • One tracked 2.5 issue still open.

    • 2.1 through 2.7 have NOT included the ka (Kartvelian aka Georgian) locale. The last release with ka locale shipped was 2.0.14 and the ka l10n maintainers have not yet updated for changes in later SeaMonkey versions.

    • Callek now needs to morph bug 667147 into removing |ka| from our [current] automation entirely (all-locales). Callek will look at best locale to transition any ka users to.
      • Plan is to migrate ka users to en-US with a english dialog saying they are out of date, and a link to the all-locales page if there is a language they understand better. Current ADU of ka alone is 3-5 individuals, so low impact.~Callek

      • Callek should be able to get this done by the time 2.9 ships.

2.Next

  • Remember to help update the New Features pages as we go along.

Feature List, Planning

Bug statistics for last two (full) weeks: 40 new, 25 fixed, 15 triaged.

  • More triaging effort needed.

  • Good further triage targets could come out of looking at the component bug counts, pick yours!

Open reviews/flags:
27 review
9 super-review
0 ui-review
5 feedback

Major wanted/needed features:

Active

  • bug 606683 Allow customization of toolbar in Composer and MailNews Composition [IanN].

    • Progressing slowly, still waiting on reviews from TB side. Full customization has to go to 2.next (currently 2.10 but could be pushed back further) as it needs work on TB too which is taking a while to get reviews on, plus feedback from kaze.

    • IanN is still wading through the unpicking of Composer/Mail Compose code in the dependent bugs. After that he will be reworking his customising patches.
  • bug 477845 Build a standalone (Comm-central) Composer. [kaze]
    • kaze has done a bit of work in this bug recently. Building on Windows works. Now supports debug builds on Linux if tests are disabled (–disable-tests). Still a lot to do.

    • The standalone Composer patch has to be rebased and fixed for MacOSX.
    • Kaze is considering moving Kompozer to an addon so that we can reuse the dialog boxes but start fresh for the content part. Also we can then use the current devtools. KaiRo told kaze in Berlin it seemed a good idea, as it could allow to run a Composer *tab* instead of a Composer window.
    • Kaze working on it on his spare time, with an Indian contributor.
    • IanN was supposed to help get builds working with --enable-tests.
      • Will look into this once he gets his customization patches reworked.
  • Real full-screen (bug 610509) and DOM full-screen (bug 701714)
    • patches provided by Mnyromyr and InvisibleSmiley. Otherwise stalled. :-(

Needing help, Unowned, Stalled

  • Kill-RDF:

    • bug 657607 Port jminta’s kill-rdf to SeaMonkey where applicable Part 2 [meta].

    • bug 657604 Remove the RDF global object. [serge]
  • bug 436794 Enable Mac OS X system address book per default and add UI.
    • SM UI needed, unowned, helpwanted.
  • bug 449728 Drag tabs between windows.
  • bug 477840 Backport KompoZer to Composer (Depends on bug 477845).
    • kaze has done a ton of work there. We still need to work out some organizational issues. At the moment there is no active interest from MoMo for bringing standalone composer into comm-central. That’s something we (KaiRo and kaze) will have to negotiate with the Thunderbird team (Standard8).
  • bug 507841 Port Bug 422814 – Make account configuration quick, easy, and more secure (autoconfig, Quick Account Setup).
  • bug 533908 SeaMonkey Mail: tabs not restored [misak].
  • bug 523274 Complete new default theme icon set.
  • bug 526210 Update the icon set for the SeaMonkey Modern Theme.
    • bug 548778 New communicator icons (based on Strata theme) for SeaMonkey. Some proposed icons got posted, we should take a look how to get that contribution into the product.

    • The rest is unowned so far.
  • bug 87098 [SeaMonkey] Delete key should delete location bar history list entry.
    • Note: Our location bar history doesn’t and can’t use autocomplete at all.
  • bug 677484 Individual SeaMonkey components are not properly handled by the Windows 7 taskbar.
  • bug 654009 Reply to list: automatically determine From: address
    • Note: The actual task here is to port bug 45715 “Reply to List” [button/(context) menu item]
  • bug 664309 Make the built-in ChatZilla display a cZ icon in SeaMonkey (now helpwanted)

Roundtable – Personal Status Updates

Status Updates from developers – what are you working on, what’s the progress, any other comments? (feel free to add yourself to the list if your name is missing and you have interesting status).

Aqualon

Callek

Usual reviews and approvals.

Lots of Bug Triage.

Fixed:

  • bug 726565 sea-win32-02 [iX] unable to reboot itself.

  • bug 726797 Multi-GPU Detection Broken on Windows Gecko 11 [Core].
  • bug 736754 cb-seamonkey-linux-01: “Couldn’t clobber properly, bailing out.”
    • Fixed by bug 736809 Bring up cb-seamonkey-linux-01 again.

In Progress:

  • bug 728930 Move Mozconfigs into Source Tree (SeaMonkey/RelEng).

  • MoCo/RelEng:
    • bug 607392 split tagging into en-US and other.

    • bug 690311 clean and verify connectivity to a tegra before launching a job on it.
    • bug 712205 slaves should always have tools checked out and up to date.

Investigation Needed:

  • Investigate SeaMonkey port of bug 616470 Pick up buildbot code for not needing to close the tree during tagging.

Tracking:

  • bug 494421 Use Google as network geolocation provider.

  • bug 591848 SeaMonkey linux and Windows machines need device support for sound enabled.
  • bug 721516 migrate seamonkey systems out of sjc1/scl2 and into scl3/scl1.
  • bug 730054 new racks in scl1.
  • bug 730947 local (POP3) move filter ends up corrupting messages.

ewong

  • Fixed:

    • bug 59049 – Disable “Search subfolders” if no subfolders exist

    • bug 448482 – No Proxy For: port Bug 311779 (map IE’s “;” into “,”) into “pref-proxies.js”
    • bug 707786 – Use Services.prefs instead of preferences-service / gPrefService, in SeaMonkey
    • bug 707786 – Use Services.prefs instead of preferences-service / gPrefService, in SeaMonkey (part 2)
    • bug 731223 – Update help for changes from bug 694514 and bug 733258.
    • bug 733258 – fix formatting issues from bug #694514
  • Working On:

    • bug 626834 – Port |Bug 624151 – Better positioning for the invalid form popup| to SeaMonkey

    • bug 676220 – Popup blocker menu should be cleared more eagerly to avoid holding on to window objects
    • bug 722767 – Change buildbot configs to upload symbols to symbols1.dmz.phx1.mozilla.com

IanN

  • Usual testing, reviewing and commenting.

  • Fixed:
  • Waiting for review on:
    • bug 725093 Update en-GB for Gecko 12.0 (mozilla-aurora)

    • bug 725109 Update en-GB for Firefox 12.0 (mozilla-aurora)
    • bug 725111 Update en-GB for Editor 12 (comm-aurora)
    • bug 725121 Update en-GB for Thunderbird 12.0 (comm-aurora)
    • bug 725179 Update en-GB for SeaMonkey 2.9
    • bug 725187 Update en-GB for SeaMonkey 2.9 Help
    • bug 725363 Update en-GB for Calendar/Lightning 1.4
    • bug 736625 en-GB localization for DOM Inspector 2.0.11
    • bug 638643 Remove obsolete EditorToggleParagraphMarks from editor.js
  • Waiting for dependent bug to be checked in:
    • bug 720661 Display account central when no default account / no accounts setup
  • Waiting for additional review on:
  • Reviewed and waiting for feedback from mobile peer:
    • bug 689253 Update en-GB for Mobile 10.0 (comm-aurora)
  • Working on:
    • Various SM Council documents.

    • bug 606683 Allow customization of toolbar in Composer and MailNews Composition
    • bug 639690 [META] Re-arrange code between editor and editorOverlay
    • bug 657234 Move pasteQuote and pasteNoFormatting into contentAreaContextOverlay
    • File/Folder selection in windows.
  • To Do:
    • bug 639395 Get cmd_fontSize to reflect current state of selected content / content at caret.

    • Prefs-in-a-tab.
    • Create FAQ for Friends of the Fish Tank.
    • Knock something up finding out why users are not upgrading to 2.4+ and send it around members lists for polishing.
    • Help get composer standalone builds working with –enable-tests.

InvisibleSmiley

  • Fixed:

    • bug 736547 Port tests parts of |bug 735625 – Get rid of ImportHTMLFromFileToFolder| to suite

    • bug 735086 Update SeaMonkey website for 2.8
    • bug 734994 Help content for concurrent tab restores preference
    • bug 733912 Update SeaMonkey website for 2.8 Beta 6
    • bug 733128 Consider porting wallpaper fix for bug 545015 |configure sometimes fails with “rm: cannot lstat `conftest.exe’: Permission denied” followed by “C++ compiler cannot create executables”|
    • bug 732998 Update SeaMonkey website for 2.8 Beta 5
    • bug 732841 Batch of SeaMonkey releases now off mirrors
    • bug 728840 chrome directory missing in fresh profiles
    • bug 723838 Create/Update 2.8 Release Notes

KaiRo

  • Found the fix to my fix for the Data Manager test failure, banged my head against my desk for the stupidity of the error I made in the first try, and later landed it on SeaMonkey 2.9+ trees (bug 728647).

  • Continued discussing the data loss with POP3 filters while I stayed on beta build to not encounter it (bug 730947).
  • Cheered for SeaMonkey project areas being updated (bug 732698).
  • Reacted to a long-standing feedback request on Data Manager content blocker permissions and this turned into a patch I now have to review (bug 684746). :) Web apps:
  • Made Lantea Maps look a bit nicer, esp. on phones, and improved performance a bit.
  • Landed the Firefox 11 strings patch by Archeopteryx more or less at the last moment, but we made it! (bug 719192)
  • Reviewed Neil’s patch for Data Manager content blocker permissions and found it to almost be there (bug 684746).
  • Discussed Neil’s patch for finalizing the Download Manager query and determined that the add-on needs an equivalent (bug 735329).
  • Posted a call for help on German product L10n, discussed this with the current community and possible volunteers about it and posted again about useful resources for those future German localizers
  • As usual, my blog has more detailed status about my activities, and Mozilla Status Board Posts also tell about my next planned steps – both including my non-SeaMonkey Mozilla work as well.

mcsmurf

Misak

Fixed:

  • bug 732344 Port |bug 636279 _tabsRestoringCount goes negative if setBrowserState called at browser startup and last session had pinned tab(s)| to SeaMonkey.

  • bug 732345 Port |bug 606681 deleteTabValue should not throw an exception| to SeaMonkey.

Working on:

Mnyromyr

MReimer

Neil

Fixed:

  • bug 605786 Places File Bookmark dialog should be resizeable.

  • bug 728790 [SeaMonkey] “TEST-UNEXPECTED-FAIL | /tests/toolkit/components/passwordmgr/test/test_prompt_async.html | Registered 3 open dialogs – got 2, expected 3″, due to broken test_bug_627616.html.
  • bug 732816 Add URLbar formatting preference entry.
  • bug 735329 Download manager doesn’t finalise its statement.

Working on:

  • bug 71008 [RFE] Account Wizard should allow setting of different SMTP server.

  • bug 684746 Data Manager doesn’t support many content blocker permissions.
  • bug 737022 Re-enable strict warnings while parsing XUL [Core].
  • bug 737260 Concurrent tabs preference doesn’t update correctly.

Stalled:

  • bug 416242 Document changed homepage preferences UI.

Ratty

Fixed:

  • bug 737061 Remove dependency on Services.jsm from tabbrowser.xml.

In progress:

  • bug 731264 Support with multiple toolboxes in MailNews due to Lighting Calendar and Task Tabs.

  • bug 736735 notification.css: Use inheritance instead of non-performant css [toolkit].
    • bug 694786 Remove hard coded dependency on xpinstallItemGeneric.png from notification.xml.
  • bug 736738 Make it easier for applications and extensions to overlay the customize toolbar window [toolkit].

Other:

  • Bug triage and Bug discussions.

  • End user support and PR in newsgroups and Mozillazine.

Ricardo

sgautherie

  • Fixed (or in-progress) SeaMonkey (related) bugs:

    • bug 629595 [OMG NOT FIREFOX!!!!! SeaMonkey] mochitests-1: permanent “test_webgl_conformance_test_suite.html | Can’t create a WebGL context”

    • bug 729212 Port |Bug 717225 – Figure out why folderTree.json is getting corrupted, and improve stability during writing| to SeaMonkey
    • bug 713134 Make packager.pm missing file warnings fatal on SeaMonkey
    • bug 723316 Port |Bug 668574 – Refuse to install on Windows XP SP 1 and below| to SeaMonkey
    • bug 731663 Port |Bug 593566 – Bookmarks with blank name are wrongly exported (broken codepage symbols in the exported file)| to SeaMonkey
    • bug 735143 Resync’ SM browser_feed_tab.js with FF browser_pageInfo.js
    • bug 735555 Port |Bug 697006 – Add desktop support for the Open Web Apps API| to SeaMonkey, packaging part
    • bug 726521 Port |Bug 658738 – [meta] We seem to be leaking hundreds of windows until shutdown during browser-chrome tests| to SeaMonkey
    • bug 735567 Stop packaging ‘about’ redirectors that bug 728478 merged
  • Fixed MailNews Core bugs:
    • bug 307807 Remove unused functions in <nsMsgI18N.*> {This happened in mozilla1.9.1a2 :->}
  • Fixed (or in-progress) Core bugs:
    • bug 627616 font-face fonts not loaded over authenticating proxy

    • bug 730551 [SeaMonkey] TEST-UNEXPECTED-FAIL | chrome://mochitests/content/browser/toolkit/mozapps/extensions/test/xpinstall/browser_bug638292.js | an unexpected uncaught JS exception reported through window.onerror – doc.getElementById(“enabled”) is null at …”
    • bug 731332 importScripts_worker.js should not try to access “http://flippety*
    • bug 732792 [SeaMonkey, Linux] “TEST-UNEXPECTED-FAIL | /tests/editor/libeditor/html/tests/test_bug674861.html | application timed out after 330 seconds with no output”, caused by test_bug674770-2.html silently failing and leaking
    • bug 733730 “JavaScript error: http://mochi.test:8888/tests/parser/htmlparser/tests/mochitest/file_bug594730-4.html, line 3: parent.is_not is not a function”
    • bug 718237 [SeaMonkey] “accessible/events/test_focus_autocomplete.xul | Test timed out.” (which also causes lots of “gA11yEventListeners is undefined” on following tests)
  • Fixed other projects bugs:
    • [ChatZilla] bug 736345 Bump ChatZilla compatibility for Firefox 14.0 / SeaMonkey 2.11

    • [DOMi] bug 733373 DOMi compatibility: Use 13.0.* (etc) instead of 13.0a1 syntax, to support aurora/beta/release too
    • [DOMi] bug 736347 Bump DOM Inspector compatibility for Firefox 14.0a1 / SeaMonkey 2.11a1 / Thunderbird 14.0a1 / (Gecko) Toolkit 14.0a1
    • [Firefox] bug 713132 Make packager.pm missing file warnings fatal on Firefox
    • [Firefox] bug 735139 Improve browser_pageInfo.js a little
    • [Firefox] bug 735810 Don’t try to package MSVC dlls if WIN32_REDIST_DIR is not set, in Firefox
    • [Firefox] bug 736770 –disable-updater packaging errors
    • [Venkman] bug 736346 Bump Venkman compatibility for Firefox 14.0 / SeaMonkey 2.11 / Thunderbird 14.0 / (Gecko) Toolkit 14.0

Stanimir

stefanh

tonymec

QA News (this time about what the Firefox guys fixed and we got for free: credit where credit is due):

  • JS crash bug 716232 (which I got at every cZ startup) has been fixed on 2.9 (Gecko 12) and later (didn’t happen elsewhere), apparently by the fix for bug 727330 which (as of this writing) still gives me “Permission denied”. Thanks to dmandelin for tracking it down; I don’t know who fixed that “restricted” bug.

  • The Toolkit guys made langpacks restartless by default a couple of days ago (bug 677092). :-) One less restart needed to get menus & messages in a language not yet installed. This is in 2.11 (14) AFAIK, didn’t test earlier versions. Dunno who or what fixed it, maybe in another bug. (Note: Somehow SeaMonkey langpacks are restartless for me but Firefox ones are not restartless for Pike, cf. bug 677092 comment #11.)

Any other business?

  • Geolocation

    • Geolocation now works out of the box. MoCo turned it on by default for all applications that build off mozilla-central.

    • For comm-beta all we need to do is (bug 494421) to add pref("geo.wifi.uri", "https://www.google.com/loc/json"); to browser-prefs.js. However we’re not even sure we are legally allowed to ship with the URL in, we might need to actually put in a pref to disable that in newer builds.
    • No news to date. Callek will have to reach out to his MoCo legal contact again soonish.
  • Test failures
    • qawanted, especially on Linux and MacOSX specific issues: reproducing and reporting would already help.

    • Serge says that on Linux and MacOSX, he just needs someone to actually run the tests and report what they see (screen, console, etc). For example, there is a Mac test about Ctrl+W not working. This should be so trivial.
    • tonymec suggests that any enthusiastic user, even non-technical, should be able to do some testing (litmus?) and not be scared by technical language and such.
    • IanN suggests reaching out to the user community using the newsgroups and forums.
    • Serge to do a write up and send it to Ratty to propagate to the community.

Thunderbird Meeting Minutes: 2012-03-20

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 12:00 am

Thunderbird/StatusMeetings/2012-03-20

last meeting | index | next meeting »

Thunderbird Meeting Details :

Remember to use headphones and mute yourself when not talking

Feel free to ask questions in the meeting either by speaking up or by asking them in #maildev on IRC.

Other ways to get in touch with us can be found on our communications page

Agenda

  • Who’s taking minutes? –> gozer

  • Minute taking Schedule. Talk to Standard8 for schedule changes/additions.
  • Note: this meeting is for interactive discussion. Feel free to ask questions!

Action Items

Friends of the Tree

Thanks to our Friend of the Tree. When adding someone to this section, please get their T-Shirt size, phone number (needed for shipping!) and send it to abourcier@mozilla.com that she can send them a shirt!

Thunderbird Development

For more details, see also the driver meeting notes.

Feature Work

Test Pilot
Tabs on Top
Big Files
  • Fixes for account creation landed last week – this feature is now testable in Daily and EarlyBird

  • There are some bugs with respect to URL insertion being worked on in bug 736055
  • Ironing out some regressions that were introduced when we started putting plaintext content into DOM nodes (to make URL insertion smart)
  • Polishing continues!
Instant Messaging
  • This feature is now testable in Daily and EarlyBird

  • We have received a lot of useful feedback. Of course more is still welcome, file bugs in the “Instant Messaging” component.
  • We started fixing reported bugs; some patches are ready to land!
Click-to-Web

Schedule and Progress

Thunderbird 11
  • Feedback is on tab of tops

    • Poweruser want more customisability
  • Will be un-throttled
Thunderbird 12
  • New beta this week
Thunderbird 13
Thunderbird 3.1.x & ESR
  • Last scheduled update for 3.1 was released last week.

Extension of the week

QA Updates

  • We have a community event centered around one of the new features of the upcoming Thunderbird 13. It’s about testing Filelink, the new way to send large attachment. It’s This coming Thursday on March the 22sd. Details are on the Thunderbird:QA_TestDay:2012-03-22 wiki.

Marketing Updates

  • release week related work.

  • statement about google being prepared.
  • Howto add google back.

Infrastructure Update

Build / Release Update

  • landed in-tree mozconfigs for comm-central

  • TB+FF integration: fixing l10n dep builds. got review for initial patches from bhearsum
  • jhopkins doing presentations at Confederation College Wed Mar. 21 so unavailable part of day

Web Update

  • Fixed: Bugs bug 729124, bug 729125, bug 727415, bug 713602 and a bunch of other non-bugged website issues plus the usual l10n reviews and merging.

  • This week: TB12 Compatibility Bump, Start Page work

Documentation

Support

  • Next Thunderbird Support Day will be Wed April 25th the day after TB12 release. – All welcome, blog post forthcoming

(If you support Thunderbird or write or translate documentation to help support Thunderbird, please subscribe to the tb-support-crew mailing list and briefly introduce yourself to the list)

  1. 1498 new support topics (1434 one week ago ) – Media:Thunderbird-GetSatisfaction-stats-5-11March2012-2012-03-12_1353.png

  2. Thunderbird 11 Support Issues – Please edit and add any issues or bugs found in TB11 and tag them tb11
  3. See this week’s Support Appendix for full Get Satisfaction metrics and other support details
  • Fallen to work with Linagora and work on some enterprise features while doing his internship.

Lightning Updates

  • GSoC getting some traction

  • Set of French students have ended their semester and should have some calendar patches which will either be extensions or submitted to core
  • NUS (Singapore) Students continue on their projects. Very Exciting: Views Accessibility
  • Working on nightly updates for comm-central and aurora, just waiting on a server to stick it on.
  • Will be improving enterprise support by working with Linagora starting April

Status Updates

See the Mozilla Status Board for status updates specific to developers.

Roundtable Highlights

GSOC

  • will be centered on ispdb

  • App tabs
  • restore/backup
  • and one other I forgot.

Attendees

fallen, roland, jb, amb, usul, standard8, sancus, bwinton,mconley,irving, gozer, jhopkins,

Mozilla Platform Meeting Minutes: 2012-03-20

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 12:00 am

Platform/2012-03-20

« previous week | index | next week »

Platform Meeting Details

  • Tuesdays – 11:00 am Pacific

  • Dial-in: conference# 95312
    • US/International: +1 650 903 0800 x92 Conf# 95312

    • US toll free: +1 800 707 2533 (pin 369) Conf# 95312
    • Canada: +1 416 848 3114 x92 Conf# 95312
  • Warp Core Vidyo Room
  • join irc.mozilla.org #planning for back channel

Contents

Notices / Schedule

  • With the release of Firefox 3.6.28, we should consider closing out bugs that only affected 1.9.2

    • Note: Security bugs that we don’t plan to chemspill FF11 for do not need to be backported to the 1.9.2 branch at this point
  • Aurora 13 updates were enabled yesterday (3/19)
  • Firefox 12 beta 2 going to build today, to be released Friday

  • Major update from FF3.6 to FF11 going out this week
  • Today’s (3/20) channel meeting

    • Whether there are any chemspill drivers for a FF11.0.1

    • 3.6 EOL strategy, esp. w/r/t in-product communication

Firefox Development

  • Much of this week was spent dealing with followup fixes and test issues from the large landings from last week (new tab page/about:home)

  • Google search now uses HTTPS (and therefore SPDY!) across the board (bug 633773)
    • Patrick McManus is working on a “speculative connect” API that will help reduce search bar query latency (both for searches and suggestions) (bug 735543/bug 723628)

Firefox Developer Tools

Add-on SDK

Performance

  • Telemetry data is still in process of restore

    • Histogram data expected to be restored by 12pm PST today

    • Evolution data expected to be restored by Thursday morning
  • This week’s Snappy summary
  • 36 Snappy bugs were resolved in Firefox 13 (Aurora).
  • Avi landed smooth scrolling updates in bug 206438.
  • Mark has a new chart for Peptest results
  • Olli reduced CC lag observed after closing tabs like gmail, bug 734057.

GFX

  • If you were using the maple branch on Android, please switch back to mozilla-central nightlies now. http://nightly.mozilla.org.

    • We’ve landed maple on mozilla-central.
  • We’re starting to look at our Q2 goals. If you have specific needs from graphics that aren’t covered in the preliminary stuff at Platform/2012-Q2-Goals#GFX, please let us know.

JS

Layout

Video

DOM

  • New DOM bindings for XHR is getting close. Target for landing is end of next week. (peterv, bz, bholley, khuey, bent, etc)

WebAPI

Network

  • Two major cache performance improvements scheduled to land in Firefox 14, in review now. One patch greatly improves locking (723577), another moves more cache consumers to async cache APIs 722033.

Identity

Plugins

Mobile

Accessibility

Tree Management

  • B2G builders coming online bug 719491

    • not uploading to stage for now;

    • only to prove that mozilla-central checkins do not break B2G
  • win7 dongles to be installed as tests get fixed bug 710233

Security

** In office or soft phone: extension 92 
** US/INTL: 650-903-0800 or 650-215-1282 then extension 92 
** Toronto: 416-848-3114 then extension 92 
** Toll-free: 800-707-2533 then password 369 
** Conference num 95435

Security Reviews & Threat Modeling Sessions Scheduled for this week

Date / Time Item
Mon Mar 19 / 13:00 PST None
Wed Mar 21 / 13:00 PST None
Thu Mar 22 / 10:00 PST In App Purchase (Apps)
Fri Mar 23 / 10:00 AM PST Available

Calendar and Meeting details

General Meeting Details 
* IRC Channel: #security 
* Etherpad: http://etherpad.mozilla.com:9000/secreview 
* Vidyo: https://v.mozilla.com/flex.html?roomdirect.html&key=5XEMsG1ApA4b (Room 9058)
* Dial-in Info (phone): 
** In office or soft phone: extension 92 
** US/INTL: 650-903-0800 or 650-215-1282 then extension 92 
** Toronto: 416-848-3114 then extension 92 
** Toll-free: 800-707-2533 then password 369 
** Conference num 99058

For updates to meetings please see the Security Review Calendar

Review Needed

  • Feature pages triaged to need review, review unscheduled
Feature Feature List Target Rel Prod Mgr Lead Engr Security lead Security status Security notes Last Modified
Client-side XPI construction Jetpack Add-on Builder 2 Daniel Buchner Piotr Zalewa/Sean McArthur ` sec-review-needed ` 2011-07-13T22:16:04
Add-On Tab API ` Add-on SDK 1.5 David Mason ` Dan Veditz sec-review-needed ` 2012-01-11T22:10:27
Migrate Chrome settings and data Desktop Firefox 11 Asa Dotzler Makoto Kato, Marco Bonardo ` sec-review-needed ` 2012-03-13T14:03:25
Style Editor Desktop Firefox 11 Kevin Dangoor Cedric Vivier ` sec-review-needed ` 2012-01-25T15:25:29
Hang Detector and Reporter Desktop Firefox 13 Asa Dotzler Vladan Djeric ` sec-review-needed please sched with curtisk 2012-03-15T00:50:19
Easy UI Feature Testing and “Success Evaluation” (integrate TestPilot like features) ` Firefox 13 ` ` ` sec-review-needed Please schedule with curtisk 2012-03-02T23:41:56
Windows 8 Metro Firefox Desktop Firefox 14 Asa Dotzler ` ` sec-review-needed sched with curtisk 2012-03-08T22:25:35
Speedy Session Restore Desktop Firefox 14 Asa Dotzler Dietrich Ayala ` sec-review-needed schedule with curtsk 2012-03-15T00:39:48
In-content preferences Desktop Firefox 15 Jared Wein Devan Sayles ` sec-review-needed when ready sched w/ curtisk 2012-01-25T22:43:11
DOMCryptAPI (a Crypto API in the DOM) Platform Firefox 15? Chris Blizzard David Dahl Brian Smith sec-review-needed ` 2012-02-07T03:07:24
Better rendering of fonts for Windows Platform Firefox 7 Chris Blizzard ` ` sec-review-needed small team review Christoph, bsterne, John Daggett 2011-10-13T00:23:00
FlightDeck as a Client-side App Jetpack FlightDeck 1.0 Daniel Buchner Sean McArthur ` sec-review-needed when ready sched w/ curtisk 2012-01-25T22:43:38
IndexedDB Support for Multi-Process Firefox Platform Future, distant future. Chris Blizzard ` ` sec-review-needed 2011.10.17: sid recommends we wait on this one but likely needs a review. 2011-11-10T19:14:59
Sharing textures cross-process for Electrolysis Platform Q4 of 2011. Chris Blizzard Chris Jones ` sec-review-needed ` 2011-10-13T16:52:42
SDK Support for Firefox for Mobile Addons Jetpack TBD David Mason Matteo Ferretti ` sec-review-needed ` 2011-08-12T17:06:55
Sign into the browser Other TBD Dan Mills Ben Adida ` sec-review-needed when ready sched w/ curtisk 2012-03-13T00:19:25
Tip of the day Thunderbird Thunderbird 11 Jean-Baptiste Piacentino Sancus ` sec-review-needed ` 2012-03-08T16:54:08
Modern MIME Parser Thunderbird Thunderbird 14? ` Joshua Cranmer ` sec-review-needed sched with curtisk 2012-03-02T23:51:32
Modern Address Book – V1 Thunderbird Under revision ` Mike Conley ` sec-review-needed ` 2012-01-12T19:38:14
Blocklist UX enhancements [Plug-ins] Desktop ` Kev Needham ` ` sec-review-needed ` 2012-01-30T05:35:09
Use PFS2 as Plugin Finder data source Desktop ` Kev Needham ` ` sec-review-needed ` 2011-11-10T10:54:09
Add plugincheck functionality to Add-on Manager Desktop ` Kev Needham ` ` sec-review-needed ` 2011-10-24T21:28:12

Bugs marked sec-review-needed that need to be scheduled

ID Summary Status Priority
549697 Add click-to-start form of disabled plugins NEW
733414 SecReview for SocialAPI NEW
711618 implement click to play permission model NEW
585958 webapps OS level integration : Maemo NEW
567365 Cache-Control no-cache on https page disables history NEW
664636 Thunderbird should (semi-)automatically improve the security-related server configuration settings when it knows an improvement could be made NEW
664637 Thunderbird auto-configuration database should be expanded & updated by regularly spidering every domain on the internet NEW
674047 Teach FileSaver to take URIs as well NEW
677302 Preffing out CSS should be easier NEW
722126 Can’t transfer File objects with postMessage cross domain NEW
729320 IndexedDB: Provide some amount of storage without a prompt NEW
711552 Create click to play UI for desktop ASSIGNED
80713 Need a way to specify an auto-height (size) for an IFRAME such that the frame is given the full height of the contained content ASSIGNED
674726 WebTelephony RESOLVED
728341 Security Review for Beta Release of App RESOLVED
706545 Implement a sync engine for apps exposed by navigator.mozApps RESOLVED

Stability Report

Socorro

  • Fennec 10.0.3esr (current release!) now supported well by recently added ESR support.

  • Socorro now generates correlation reports for new Firefox versions 14.0a1, 13.0a2, 12.0 in addition to the 3 crashiest ones, which include current releases.
  • Only small fixups in tomorrow’s incremental release, as the big target now is to get ElasticSearch working ASAP.
  • If you have any specific issue you want solved in Socorro next quarter, please tell KaiRo about it.

Desktop

  • Nightly – FF14

    • Top crashes appeared in single build then disappeared – bug 736507

    • bug 736761 – crash in mozilla::image::DiscardTracker::EnableTimer.
    • bug 736947 – OOM crash in mozilla::safebrowsing::HashStore::ReadHashes
    • bug 736944 – crash in nsAccTreeWalker::NextChildInternal @ nsIFrame::IsGeneratedContentFrame
    • bug 736695 – crash in nsGenericElement::UnbindFromTree , when I open Customize Toolbar with Video DownloadHelper 4.9.8 installed
    • bug 736815 – crash in js_ValueToBoolean – not a new signature but appearing in a bit higher volume on trunk.
    • bug 736830 – crash in js::types::TypeMonitorResult – reproducible
    • bug 704124 – Firefox Crash @ gfxContext::SetSource – reproducible
    • All Reproducible top crashes
  • Aurora – FF13

    • Just started shipping updates so better data in a couple of days.
  • Beta – FF12

    • bug 736524 – bug only appearing on Beta. It is now resolved.
  • Release – FF11

    • Some concern about Flash hangs but not sure if higher volume than normal. The fix that bsmedberg worked on for VS2010 doesn’t work in FF12 and FF11. For FF13 things should be fixed.

    • bug 722044 – add touch bad memory to skip list. This bug is blocked on a decision of which skip list to implement. Kairo is going to go through all the skip list bugs and make sure they are actionable.
    • bug 733892 – some concerns about this rising. Marcia going to work on trying to reproduce based on comments in the bug.

Mobile

For Graph and Socorro work please see Testing Notes 03/21/12

Native

  • Nightly

    • 9.92% bug 734624 java.lang.RuntimeException: An error occured while executing doInBackground() at

    • 7.64% bug 736003, bug 733325, bug 733324 TouchBadMemory
    • 4.39% bug 736124 org.mozilla.gecko.gfx.GLController$GLControllerException: createContext() failed
    • 3.09% bug 736007 java.lang.NullPointerException: at org.mozilla.gecko.sync.repositories.Server11R
  • Aurora

    • 12.61% bug 730890 libdvm.so@0x50a0e

    • 10.43% bug 734624 java.lang.RuntimeException: An error occured while executing doInBackground() at
    • 8.70% bug 730688 java.lang.RuntimeException: Unable to resume activity {org.mozilla.fennec_aurora

XUL

  • Release

    • 36.92% Java_org_mozilla_gecko_GeckoAppShell_reportJavaCrash

    • 25.51% bug 694964 gfxSharedImageSurface::Open
    • 6.59% bug 715831 js::RegExpPrivate::executeInternal
  • ESR

    • 32.87% Java_org_mozilla_gecko_GeckoAppShell_reportJavaCrash

    • 24.93% bug 694964 gfxSharedImageSurface::Open
    • 8.38% bug 715831 js::RegExpPrivate::executeInternal

Roundtable

Older Posts »

Powered by WordPress