Meeting Notes

29-January-2009

Firefox 3.1 Meeting Minutes: 2009-01-28

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — bsmedberg @ 12:00 am

Firefox3.1/StatusMeetings/2009-01-28

From MozillaWiki

« previous week | index | next week »

Firefox Product Delivery Meeting Details

  • Wednesdays – Firefox 3 – 11:00am Pacific, 2:00pm Eastern, 18:00 UTC

  • Mozilla Building S
  • 650-903-0800 or 650-215-1282 x92 Conf# 8605 (US/INTL)
  • 1-800-707-2533 (pin 369) Conf# 8605 (US)
  • irc.mozilla.org #shiretoko for backchannel

NOTE: See Platform#Meeting_Notes for development meeting notes


Firefox 2.0.0.x / 3.0.x

  • Firefox 3.0.6

    • Shipped to beta users yesterday (January 27)

    • On track for release next Tuesday, February 3
    • Please let me know if you see any bugs that should block the release
  • Firefox 3.0.7
    • Code freeze is scheduled for February 3 at 11:59pm (in less than a week)

    • Final release targeted for early March
    • Queries for blockers/nominations/approvals are on the Firefox 3.0.7 wiki page
    • (Only four approved bugs that need landing. My threats worked! ;) )


Firefox 3.1 Development

Development Update

  • full platform meeting notes available from yesterday

  • still at 18 P1 blockers that need to be fixed for Beta 3
  • at this time, we don’t have a good estimate for when we’ll be done; many of the bugs are proving to be tricky and complicated to fully resolve
  • component leads are meeting this afternoon to see what we can do to speed things along

Daily users

  • ~350k users on Beta 2

  • ~10k users on Shiretoko nightlies
  • ~10k users on Minefield nightlies

Beta 3

  • code freeze is hard to predict at this time

  • thus other downstream dates cannot be predicted
  • watch devnews and dev.planning for updates


Support

  • Link to support doc when user is notified that places.sqlite is locked is now working.

  • New help-topic link planned: about:privatebrowsing will have link to Private Browsing support doc. bug 471726
  • Options window article split progress: 25% of locales have sent in their translations. [1]
  • Top weekly common issue is still locked/corrupted sqlite files. Are there plans to land bug 414715 in 3.0?
  • New issue: Yahoo toolbar not letting you log into Yahoo. (KB article: Cannot log in to websites (landing soon!))


Localization

Firefox Beta 3 
  • 63 locales

  • only 1 locale missing from Firefox 3.0.x
Fennec l10n 
  • basic build infrastructure in place, make installers-ab-CD works

  • more bugs open to get to feature parity
  • work on support on l10n dashboard started
  • Early adopter group driven by l10n-drivers, sethb, gandalf, stas, me


QA

  • Beta 3 testplan

  • Firefox 3.1 Feature testing progress:
    • Testplans (92% completed)

    • Testcases (83% completed)
      • ETA to completion: post-beta 3
  • 135 trunk & 1.9.1 bugs verified in last 2 weeks. Great work! But 921+ to go…
  • Beta 3 Nightly Testweek in progress, capping with a testday on friday 1/30. We may do another testday next week, b3 builds pending.


Release Engineering

  • waiting for “go” on FF3.1b3

  • testing “major update” from FF3.1b3pre -> FF3.1b3pre
  • several meetings last week about remaining FF2 users
    • Of the remaining 13.6M on FF2, 6.5M are not even on FF2.0.0.20, so not even seeing the MU offer

    • investigations continue


Add-Ons

  • Email going out this week to top 500 developers not yet on 3.1.

  • Bringing on more editors on a weekly basis to handle update load.


Partners

  • Yahoo! in process of updating all home pages to accept 2009 build ids. will be completed Monday

  • Want to clarify change to defaults in ru for 3.1, as well as outline policy moving forward, and end-user notification/impacts
  • Review browser.startup.homepage(_reset) pref policy (global, non-localizable currently) and management of locale.start*.mozilla.com hostnames


Evangelism

  • Documentation for workers has a new sample.

  • Now working on remaining smaller documentation items, since the major doc issues are complete enough to do the job for now.
  • Please contact Sheppy if there are any urgent documentation needs for 3.1 beta 3.
  • Last call for FF 3.1 features – please look at the messaging page (much love)


Marketing/PR


Roundtable

  • dveditz to drive a project to see if we can have a “check your plugins” site where users can go to determine if their plugins are up to date, and if not, find links to updates (see bug 391433 for details)

    • beltzner, johnath, chofmann asked to be cc’d
  • justin agreed to follow up with morgamic to ensure that we could throttle Major Update snippets on a per version / channel basis (to allow users to “Check for Updates…” to Firefox 3.1 on launch day, but not have the offer given to users who do not explicitly check)

28-January-2009

SeaMonkey Meeting Minutes: 2009-01-27

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — bsmedberg @ 12:00 am

SeaMonkey:StatusMeetings:2009-01-27

From MozillaWiki

« last meeting | index

SeaMonkey Meeting Details


Agenda

  • Who’s taking minutes -> IanN


Action Items

(who needs to do what that hasn’t been recorded in a bug)

  • IanN to triage blocker nominations for 2a3.


SeaMonkey 2 Alpha 3

Bug Queries

open blockers
all blockers
blocker requests

  • Plans for freeze:

    • Thunderbird looks like it will be pushing out again from 5th February 2009 for one or two weeks due to access to resources during FOSDEM. We will go for same freeze dates as Thunderbird 3.0b2. Gives more time to land a few more things.


Longer-Term SeaMonkey 2 Planning

open wanted
wanted requests

Major wanted/needed features:

  • bug 381157 Download manager backend.

    • status/progress – Callek was investigating if we could land the switch without progress dialogs for now, which would be easier to get up and running. Neil needs to OK that approach but it depends on whether we can open a placeholder dialog or no dialog at all.

      • Post-meeting, Neil conferred with Callek and approved this approach. Will be with a placeholder dialog.
  • bug 472001 UI for download manager
    • Review comments addressed. Some follow-up bugs filed for further issues. The tree-based UI for download manager should be more or less ready.
  • bug 390025 Kill-wallet (password manager).
    • landed for 2.0a3

    • Most easy regressions fixed.
    • Known/Possible Regressions:
      • bug 474115 – standard8 in discussions

      • bug 474846 – Data loss by migration to signons.sqlite (due to forms logins)
  • bug 36810 Session restore.
    • Waiting for reviews.

    • ajschult has made it through most of the code that actually interfaces with SeaMonkey and which is probably the most important part to review carefully. However there is still a substantial amount of sessionstore backend to review.
    • Suggest to rs+ the session store backend on the grounds that it’s been working in Firefox for quite a while and do a post-facto review once ajschult has the time.
    • Neil can work on sr+ in parallel.
  • bug 394288 / bug 413385 Toolbar customization.
    • bug 471372 (Customizable Toolbars in Navigator v2) has landed.

    • Dependent toolkit bug 471508 (Make the toolboxChanged() callback return useful information) filed. Patch is still waiting for review.
    • bug 406780 (In OSX The customizeToolbars window should be in a <panel> popup) I am working on getting navigator customizable toolbars working properly on OSX (but I will need someone with OSX to help test my patches). Currently stuck on trying to get the open panel to show some content – Ratty.
    • Need a fix for OSX menubars once customization is turned on.
    • bug 413385 (Implement Customizable Toolbars in SeaMonkey MailNews) is on hold until the OSX issues are fixed.
  • bug 456757 Modern theme update
    • The next step is to file bugs/patches for each sub-module under mozapps/ in order to get reviewed. Ideally a graphically oriented person should to drive this – helpwanted.
  • bug 460699 Make the default theme look better on mac.
    • status/progress?
  • bug 454847 Fishcam update.
  • bug 410613 OpenSearch.
    • helpwanted
  • Handling bug 420506 Thunderbird kill-rdf.
    • bug 460952 Ensure Thunderbird kill-rdf doesn’t break SeaMonkey.

    • bug 460953 Port jminta’s kill-rdf to SeaMonkey where applicable.
    • status/progress?
  • bug 415372 Implement Feed Preview.
    • Working on the reviewer’s points but will need to look into the link issue.
  • bug 460960 Port Thunderbird tabbed interface to MailNews.
    • Addressing reviewer comments, trying to keep the balance between tabbrowser and calendar needs.


Roundtable

Status Updates from developers – what are you working on, what’s the progress, any other comments? (feel free to add yourself to the list if your name is missing and you have interesting status).


ajschult


asrail


biesi


Callek


IanN

  • bug 471932 Do some tidy up/fixing of feed subscription and related code – fixes lots of issues with the new shared code – working on updating deleteFolder test to work with new code.

  • bug 469498 Combine messagePaneContext and threadPaneContext – looking at issue with “Select All”.
  • Usual reviewing and commenting.


KaiRo

  • bug 468103 – Updated throbber animation, now APNG

  • Some fixes to get unit test boxes go green again (incl. bug 473734 that actually fixed up places prefs)
  • More bug 472001 work (new download manager UI), also filed a number of followups
  • Added Japanese and Galician to SeaMonkey trunk locales
  • bug 467052 – ported GLOBAL_DEPS work to c-c
  • bug 475111 and bug 475120 – more build system ports from 1.9.1 to c-c
  • bug 475113 – ease default profile L10n, WIP
  • bug 474716 – Port SeaMonkey XUL ID check test to Firefox
  • As always, my blog has more detailed status about my work.


mcsmurf

  • Found out what regressed bug 473962.

  • Started working on some window opening issue on Windows (DDE involved), but no real progress yet.


Misak


Mnyromyr

  • bug 390262 and bug 367034 – need to push the mailnews UI move, because of shared files blocking tabmail (e.g. threadpane.js), need to know the strucutre we want to end up with though.


MReimer


Neil

  • Made opening the history window in grouped view sort correctly.

  • Still waiting for approval for the code that makes sorting a grouped view look nicer.
  • Stopped us from crashing after a safebrowsing patch was checked in.
  • Implemented view source for cached xul pages.


Ratty

  • bug 471372 Customizable Toolbars in Navigator (Part 2). Patch has landed. Bug is fixed.

  • bug 471508 (Make the toolboxChanged() callback return useful information) Patch is waiting for reviews.
  • bug 406780 (OSX customizable toolbars) I am working on getting navigator customizable toolbars working properly on OSX. This almost works when tested on Win32. The panel opens with a transparent empty iframe instead of the expected contents.


sgautherie

  • Fixed (or in-progress) SeaMonkey bugs:

    • bug 390025 Move to LoginManager and remove wallet from SeaMonkey; Uncomment Login Manager code
  • Fixed Core/… (but SM related) bugs:
    • bug 471854 Build error in accessible/public/msaa on x64 Windows with VC8; (Bv1) Sync comm-central after (m-c) bug 471451 and bug 471854
  • And working on other areas… like
    • infrastructure for running tests

    • filing bugs for leaks in (TUnit and Reftest) tests
    • doing an (experimental) Windows mozilla-central SeaMonkey build, reporting to bug 470184 issue tracking; hoping for bug 464325 new tinderboxes.


Standard8


stefanh


wladow


Any other business?

  • See those that are coming at FOSDEM, otherwise see you at the same place, same time, in two weeks.

Thunderbird Meeting Minutes: 2009-01-27

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — bsmedberg @ 12:00 am

Thunderbird/StatusMeetings/2009-01-27

From MozillaWiki

last meeting | index | next week »

Thunderbird Meeting Details :


Agenda


Action Items


New

  • davida to look at status meeting agenda due to the drivers meeting that follows later in the morning.


Open


Closed


Thunderbird 3 Beta 2

  • For reference, Gecko 1.9.1b3: Jan 13 Code Freeze, Jan 15 QA, Jan 26 Release according to their plan.
  • clarkbw is release driver

  • gozer is build engineer
  • l10n-mozilla-1.9.1 freeze from: Sunday 8th February 23:59 PST
  • Slushy string freeze from: Tuesday 10th February 23:59 PST (2 weeks)
  • Firm string freeze and slushy Code freeze from: Thursday 12th February 23:59 PST
  • Firm code/string freeze from: Tuesday 17th February 23:59 PST

Mark bugs needing strings with status white board — [affects l10n]

  • We need to drive bugs with large string changes, e.g., archive, auto config, activity manager


Thunderbird 3

  • we now have component drivers so that people actually own keeping subsets of the blocking list well-triaged

  • bug list much more believable, thanks to last week’s work
  • things to file & triage:
    • component drivers: blocking+ / blocking? bugs

    • dmose: message reader bugs
  • new triage rules

    • to stay on blocking+ list, a bug must be owned by someone, even if that’s (temporarily) the component driver.

      • owned-by-driver bugs should have [needs owner] in status whiteboard
  • to think about:

    • when do we branch? (i suspect immediately after b2)

    • when do we lock down the branch for only blocking+ and approved+ (i suspect a couple of weeks after b2)
    • There will be a TB 3 beta 3 (milestone created in bugzilla)


QA Updates


Roundtable


Status Updates


davida
  • triage, driving

  • worked on activity manager bugs
  • recruiting
  • planning FOSDEM talk


dmose
  • triage, 3.0 driving

  • JavaScript-in-messages work


nth10sd


Standard8

Non-goal activities:

  • Reviews, triage.

  • Fixed calendar bug 474576 – error seen with calendars when using UTC.
  • bug 473529 Archives folder doesn’t use localized name in L10n builds.
  • bug 474969 Dropped the old chrome start page, so that localizers don’t need to work out what to set the urls to etc.
  • Finally pushed through bug 453599 Shredder release notes menu item should point to a URL explaining that there aren’t any.
  • bug 474259 Outgoing email addresses get collected even if in OSX address book.

Two week goals (end of week 2):

  • Finish driving in Password Manager

    • Fixed regression bug 473715 (LDAP Autocomplete not working).

    • One possible regression affecting Thunderbird & SMTP passwords bug 474115 – discussing with reporter.
    • One more strange regression reported bug 474439 that affects LDAP, investigating.
  • Implement send in background
    • Fixed some assertions that were causing trouble with unit tests bug 474774
  • Investigate Weave pop-tart system
    • Looked at this last week – easy for prompts, maybe harder for passwords.
  • Try and get initial numbers for Ts to see if we can enable jemalloc.

Two week goals (start of week 1):

  • Implement send in background and hook up to activity manager.

  • Implement about:rights (bug 463367
  • Try and get initial numbers for Ts to see if we can enable jemalloc.


asuth


bienvenu
  • code reviews, driving, esp triage

  • worked on a new mail.app-like folder pane mode that shows global inbox, global sent, drafts, etc bug 305340
  • worked on autoconfig bug 422814 – addressed some excellent review comments from philor. Will put up a new patch soon with those changes and BenB’s recent work.
  • Worked on b2 blockers, fixed bug 468081 no confirmation deleting saved searches, and submitted a patch for bug 466261 outbox no longer has special icon.
  • Fixed a couple crashers, one in MoveThreadAt, bug 460036, potential fix for bug 422907, crash in nsLocalMailFolder::GetTrashFolder.
  • Fixed some issues with the new archive feature, bug 473215disable archive button in message pane if already in archive folder, and fixed creating new local archive folders, bug 473373, make Archive folder sort towards top of folder pane, bug 473493


gozer
  • Build

    • Many, many changes to the build infrastructure

    • Stability improvements [still in progress]
    • Buildbot ugprade to 0.7.9 [in progress]
  • Web

    • Kinkora : Redesigned Corporate web site


clarkbw


wsmwk


beckley


Penelope
  • Eudora 8 beta 5/Penelope 0.5 alpha 2 released

  • Post-release time has mainly been spent talking with beta testers and triaging bugs


KaiRo
  • bug 467052 – ported GLOBAL_DEPS work to c-c, will look into over-eagerness to rebuild right now, which was caused by GLOBALS_DEPS, see bug 474732

  • bug 475111 and bug 475120 – more build system ports from 1.9.1 to c-c
  • The XUL ID check test I’m porting to Firefox in bug 474716 could also be helpful for Thunderbird, but no chrome test harness running there yet.


philipp / Calendar


rkent


rebron
  • Continued work on website: wrapping up last of the pages and starting up QA, coordination with mozilla.com.

  • First Mozilla Community Marketing meeting tomorrow.
  • Spoke with several folks from GetSatisfaction to work with them as a support partner. Working through the details.


Attendees

davida,dmose,clarkbw,wsmwk,rebron,gozer,asuth,standard8,bienvenu,beckley,kairo,rkent

Mozilla Platform Meeting Minutes: 2009-01-27

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — bsmedberg @ 12:00 am

Platform/2009-01-27

From MozillaWiki

« previous week | index | next week »


Notices / Schedule

Firefox 3.0.7

Firefox 3.1 Beta 3

  • we will go over the list of P1 blockers outstanding in this meeting and ensure they are being tracked

  • Important Dates:
    • Code freeze was missed on January 25th, 11:59pm PDT

    • QA Start on ??, 9:00am PDT
    • Release on ??, noon PDT


Blocker Report

Since 1.9.1 branch …

Past 2 weeks …

[ Platform Blocker Queries | Front End Blocker Queries ]


Firefox 3.1 Update

  • Polish update: Firefox is 29% shiny (change of +2% over last week)


GFX 1.9.1 Update


Layout 1.9.1 Update


Content 1.9.1 Update


JS 1.9.1


Mobile 1.9.1 Update


General 1.9.1 Updates


Security


Security Reviews

Still outstanding / to be scheduled

  • native JSON

  • DNS prefetching

Booked but not yet completed


Roundtable

  • Downtime tomorrow morning? (5am PST – 7am PST) – Would this step on anyone’s toes?

    • Waiting until Friday
  • CSSWG seems to be contemplating changes to the syntax/semantics of border-image (see these threads: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2009Jan/0435.html and http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2009Jan/0441.html ) — if they do, will we be able to squeeze the changes into 3.1?
    • I don’t think this needs discussion in this meeting. -David Baron
  • Post 3.1 work; are we focused enough on the issues that really matter? (roc)
    • Are we fixing too many Jesse bugs at the expense of bigger and more effective changes such as process separation? (roc)
  • sdwilsh and jimm are moving to platform team
    • sdwilsh will be working with dcamp and honza on storage; also still available to fix Places bugs and blockers

    • jimm will be working with vlad on Windows widgetry and integration issues

27-January-2009

Places Meeting Minutes: 2009-01-26

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — bsmedberg @ 12:00 am

Places/Status Meetings/2009-01-26

From MozillaWiki

« previous week | index | next week »

Places Team Meeting Details

  • Mondays at 9:00am Pacific

  • irc.mozilla.org #places


Work Priorities

  • Blockers (http://tinyurl.com/5zpgx7)

    • bug 473058 (P2) – dietrich has a strategy, will have a patch later today.

    • bug 471352 (P2) – MaK77 cannot reproduce. Tracy will look into getting steps to reproduce.
    • bug 449406 (P2) – sdwilsh has a patch and is struggling with tests. Seems to work correctly in the browser, but not xpcshell.
    • bug 410196 (P2 added during meeting) – ddhal is going to pick this bug up
    • bug 474582 (P2 added during meeting) – already owned by MaK77. Patch is already up, but needs a test.
    • bug 475273 (P2 added during meeting) – already owned by MaK77. Patch is up for review from Mano.
  • Bugs targeted 3.1: (http://tinyurl.com/7cvrs7)
    • 34 bugs in total, 20 unowned

    • dietrich is going to go through those again to reduce that number and prioritize the remaining ones.
  • Bug Triage (http://tinyurl.com/a3j9p6)
    • 1538 open bugs (great progress from last time)

    • goal to remove another 50 by next week


QA Issues

No issues to report. Tracy says that the previous test week was a big success.

Marco needs helping finding steps to reproduce bug 471352. He has been unable to reproduce the issue. Tracy will look into it.

Tracy will also be verifying fixed bugs this week. Prepare for the bugmail.


Status updates

From last week, the following things had open action items:

Documentation Status:

  • Please review:

  • wiki.m.o
    • Places landing page is up to date (dietrich)

    • the old design overview and all the docs linked from it need “POSSIBLY OUT OF DATE”, linked to the landing page, or maybe MDC. (??)
    • need documentation on how to write SQL queries against the places back-end, for core developers.
      • Places SQL queries best practices (MaK77)

        • Not yet completed (eta is end of the week)
      • How to write queries in the new temp-table era (MaK77)
        • Not yet completed (eta is end of the week)
      • How to get to the places database/basic entry points (MaK77)
        • Not yet completed (eta is end of the week)
      • Invariants and triggers (sdwilsh)
        • Not yet completed (eta is end of the week)
      • Check over existing documentation for outdated information (sdwilsh)
        • Not yet completed (eta is end of the week)
  • MDC


Roundtable

  • Places platform-level priorities for 3.2 (dietrich will move these to the places planning page)

    • Make livemark children not bookmarks

    • Redo how we expire history visits. No longer expire on every OnVist; expire continuously. (reduces writes and fsyncs)
    • Make tags not bookmark folders
    • Async location bar queries
    • Ability to query based on transition type.

Bugs needing review:

  • triage UI-WANTED bugs to see if they still need UX input (please review your own for this)

  • 300+ unconfirmed places bugs, need to get this number down (all)

Mozilla Project Meeting Minutes: 2009-01-26

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — bsmedberg @ 12:00 am

WeeklyUpdates/2009-01-26

From MozillaWiki

« previous week | index | next week »

Meeting Details

  • 1:00pm Pacific time (21:00 UTC until March 8, 2009)

  • Mozilla HQ, 1st floor conference table
  • +1 650 903 0800 x92 Conf# 8600 (US/International)
  • +1 416 848 3114 x92 Conf# 8600 (Canada)
  • +1 800 707 2533 (pin 369) Conf# 8600 (US Toll Free)
  • sip:weeklystatus@mozilla.com from generic SIP clients
  • http://air.mozilla.com/ to watch and listen
  • join irc.mozilla.org #staffmeeting for backchannel

note: all participants are muted automatically; if you want to talk, press *1 to un-mute yourself

WeeklyUpdate Live: You can watch the weekly meetings live at Air Mozilla You can also view previous meetings from the “on-demand” button on the Air Mozilla player. Meetings will be posted for on-demand consumption shortly after the meeting conclusion.


Friends of the Tree

Please send FotT nominations to asa@mozilla.org. This is a great opportunity for the community to recognize those who go above and beyond, so please tell me when you see that happening. Thanks.


Development Updates


Branch work: Firefox 3.0.6 / 3.0.7


Gecko 1.9.1


Firefox 3.1

  • tree will remain closed for beta 3 as patches need quiet places to land on mozilla-central; gathering ETAs, but we’re looking at Tuesday as a date for re-opening

  • attention will turn to rc1 later this week, more at tomorrow’s development meeting
  • beta 3 still expected in first week of february


TB 3

  • b2 delayed by a week or two due to FOSDEM and feature landings

  • b3 inserted into schedule, no real date yet.
  • good progress on good features
  • we can always use more dev contributors. Talk to a driver if you want to help.


Mobile

Targeting M1 milestone release of Fennec for Windows Mobile.

As always, the weekly update has the up-to-date information of what happens in mobile-land


IT

  • On schedule to swing fxfeeds & versioncheck.addons.mozilla.org to production Zeus ZXTM cluster this week

  • On schedule to complete core2 IOS upgrade this weekend (bug 473084)
  • Planning to upgrade bugzilla.mozilla.org to 3.2.1 sometime this week, exact date/time TBD


Release Engineering

  • FF3.0.6 going to beta tomorrow

  • waiting for go on FF3.1b3


QA

Test Execution

  • Fx3.0.6 testing in progress

    • ETA ship to beta 1/27, ship to world 2/3
  • Firefox 3.1 beta 3 testplan in waiting
  • Fx3.0->Fx3.1beta Major update test pass (internal)
  • Team verified 100+ FIXED trunk and 1.9.1branch bugs in the last 2 weeks
  • Litmus tests cleanup project: results ~95%, test cases ~75%
  • Beta 3 testweek in effect this week
  • QA meetup in mountain view: 2/18

Web Dev Testing, Metrics, Accessibility, Localization, Community, Crash Reports

Test Development

  • Landed bug 472144 Sisyphus – Support mozilla-central repository along with recent modifications and additions to the JavaScript tests.

  • Completed inital 100,000 TopSite test run – working on verifying crashes and leaks – some leaks are caused by timing issues (shutdown leaks etc). About 50 leaks and hundreds of assertions found. Triaged Assertions and verified 1.9.1 Bugs
  • Released new Mozmill 1.0.2 bugfix
  • Used Aki’s Nokia build farm to do a testing run with Joel’s maemkit automation scripts


Security

No updates.


Marketing/PR

  • Please join our mailing list to follow Mozilla marketing or join in the fun!

  • Join us for our first community marketing call on Wednesday, Jan. 28th at 10 a.m. PDT. Dial-in & agenda here.

PR

Events

  • Techkriti, Feb. 12 – 14, Kanpur, India: Sethb & Arun will be participating in FOSSkriti there.

  • GNUnify, Feb. 13 – 14, Pune, India: Sethb & Arun will be conducting a Mozilla workshop.
  • SCALE, Feb. 20 – 22, Los Angeles: Chris Blizzard accepted to speak.
  • SxSW, March 13 – 17, Austin, Texas: Brendan & Arun have been accepted for the annual browser panel.
  • OSCON CFP is now open. Please let Mary & Nicole know if you plan on submitting a talk.


Support


Metrics


Evangelism

  • Documentation

    • Increasingly intensive bilateral discussions with Mindtouch about Deki planning.

    • Started work on a list of features we’d like to investigate adding to MDC; these are things we would implement on top of the Deki platform.
    • New MDC content about workers (Using workers in extensions).
  • Having a work week this week, people in town, come say hi!


Labs

  • Weave registration is being re-opened for a limited time.

  • Some preliminary designs for uplift of Ubiquity-esque features into Firefox are now up. Many thanks to Alex Faaborg. You can see them here. It’s in early brainstorm-phase, so please participate.


Developer Tools


Add-ons

  • 5.0.1 Code Freeze Today! open bugs & fixed bugsJanuary 26 freeze – January 29 push

  • Welcome Jeff Balogh
  • Congrats to Wil Clouser, our AMO Dev Lead
  • AMO Brown Bag this Thursday at 12:30
  • Review queue update
    • Nomination queue down to 360 from 560

    • Update queue is holding steady but throughput is higher
  • Compatibility update
    • Rey Bango sending out email this week to get top 500 add-on developers to migrate

    • Target is 95% (by usage) of extensions currently compatible with Fx 3.0


Webdev

  • Jeff Balogh started last Tuesday, and will be working with Wil Clouser on AMO. He’s hacked on a few interesting things like DrProject and dojo toolkit. We’re lucky to have him!

  • Wil Clouser will be mentoring Jeff and leading AMO webdev efforts moving forward. Congrats to Wil on his new role.
  • Socorro partitioning patch staged, ready to deploy Thursday — see the code or read bug 432450.
  • Crash reporter (webtool only!) will be down Thursday Jan 29 @ 7pm PDT and Friday Jan 30 — to migrate to the new partitioning scheme the system will not be processing reports for a couple of days. Data will not be lost and we will still be collecting reports, but the reporter will be unavailable during this migration. Please contact morgamic if you have any concerns.
  • Graph server was staged successfully using the new schema last week!
  • SUMO 0.8.1 was pushed live on Thursday. Chris Ilias wrote a nice blog post describing this milestone.
  • Work continued on Prior Art Share. Watch for an upcoming blog post from Tiffney.


L10n

  • 61 locales participating, with 2 missing the opt-in call, in FF 3.1 Beta 3. Here is the shipped locales bug.

    • How do l10n-driver do outreach during a beta process?

      • First call went to all locales on January 8

      • Sent ~10 individual emails to localizers we had not heard from on January 20
      • Friendly reminder again to all on January 23
  • Last quarter’s testing survey raw results are available, Stas and Seth are analyzing now
  • Fennec localization plan developed
    • 10 locales are participating in early group

    • Pike will make builds visible on the l10n server soon
    • Stas is producing productization guidelines
    • Gandalf is fielding questions from localizers and filing bugs
  • L10n team will be at FOSDEM


Foundation Updates


Roundtable


Other Business

22-January-2009

Firefox 3.1 Meeting Minutes: 2009-01-21

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — bsmedberg @ 12:00 am

Firefox3.1/StatusMeetings/2009-01-21

From MozillaWiki

« previous week | index | next week »

Firefox Product Delivery Meeting Details

  • Wednesdays – Firefox 3 – 11:00am Pacific, 2:00pm Eastern, 18:00 UTC

  • Mozilla Building S
  • 650-903-0800 or 650-215-1282 x92 Conf# 8605 (US/INTL)
  • 1-800-707-2533 (pin 369) Conf# 8605 (US)
  • irc.mozilla.org #shiretoko for backchannel

NOTE: See Platform#Meeting_Notes for development meeting notes


Firefox 2.0.0.x / 3.0.x

  • Firefox 2.0.0.20 -> 3.0.5 Major Update

    • About 1.5mm people converted so far (since Jan 8th offer)

    • 14mm users remain on Firefox 2 (7mm users of that are on Firefox 2.0.0.20)
    • remaining number of Windows 95/98 users not significant
    • large number of Firefox 2 users report “other” as OS
  • Firefox 3.0.6
    • Builds are made and QA is testing them

    • On track for beta release next Tuesday
    • Final release is scheduled for February 3 but will likely move to February 4 to accommodate Firefox 3.1 and bug 471816
  • Firefox 3.0.7
    • Tree is open to approved checkins

    • We’ll be going through approvals later today
    • Please land checkins asap
    • Code freeze is scheduled for February 3 at 11:59pm
    • Queries for blockers/nominations/approvals are on the Firefox 3.0.7 wiki page


Firefox 3.1 Development

Development Update

  • P1 blockers still outstanding, might be tight

  • goal is to get non tracemonkey P1s landed by Thursday EOD

(see development meeting notes for more details)

Daily users

  • ~ 350k users on the Firefox 3.1 Beta 2 (back from holidays)

  • ~ 10k users on Shiretoko nightlies
  • ~ 5k users on Minefield nightlies

Beta 3

  • Code freeze is January 25th, 11:59pm PDT

  • QA Start is January 27th, 9:00am PDT
  • Release is targeted at Feb 2nd, noon PDT


Support

  • Options window reference is being split up by panel [1].


Localization

3 string freeze break requests, bug query and with just late-l10n, thanks to beltzner and johnath


QA

  • Beta 3 testplan

  • Firefox 3.1 Feature testing progress:
    • Testplans (90% completed)

    • Testcases (76% completed)
  • Working on verifying 793 fixed1.9.1 bug list! Any help is appreciated :)
  • QMO project created on verifying fixed 3.1 bugs on branch and trunk (thanks for the links, beltzner!)
  • A lot of our 3.1 testing lately has been around moving smoketests to mozmill, and trunk dogfooding.


Release Engineering

  • FF3.0.6, FF3.1b3

  • will investigate how to get more people to even *see* FF2->FF3 MU.


Add-Ons

Rey Bango sending out emails this week to get top 500 3.0 add-ons (by usage) upgraded to 3.1. Emails will be personalized and we’ll offer advice and assistance on upgrading.


Partners


Evangelism

  • Offline resource documentation is largely complete now, aside from some examples, which are in progress.

  • A new workers example is done and will be added to the wiki in the next few days.


Marketing/PR

  • Passing off first draft of 3.1 features page to TRO by EOD; will have another round of review after the page gets mocked up.

  • Tracking to get first round changes back by 1/30
  • Tent. schedule for “what’s new” in 3.1 video on 1/30 while Beltzner is in Mtn View
  • Still need help with JavaScript Performance numbers for graphic
  • Beltzner reviewing beta 3 pr plan, EU teams working on their press outreach lists


Roundtable

  • dveditz to drive a project to see if we can have a “check your plugins” site where users can go to determine if their plugins are up to date, and if not, find links to updates (see bug 391433 for details)

    • beltzner, johnath, chofmann asked to be cc’d
  • justin agreed to follow up with morgamic to ensure that we could throttle Major Update snippets on a per version / channel basis (to allow users to “Check for Updates…” to Firefox 3.1 on launch day, but not have the offer given to users who do not explicitly check)
  • beltzner to follow up with joduinn, nthomas, axel about code handoff dates

21-January-2009

Thunderbird Meeting Minutes: 2009-01-20

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — bsmedberg @ 12:00 am

Thunderbird/StatusMeetings/2009-01-20

From MozillaWiki

last meeting | index | next week »

Thunderbird Meeting Details : Cancelled


Agenda


Action Items


New


Open


Closed


Thunderbird 3 Beta 2

  • For reference, Gecko 1.9.1b3: Jan 13 Code Freeze, Jan 15 QA, Jan 26 Release according to their plan.
  • clarkbw is release driver

  • gozer is build engineer
  • Slushy string freeze from: Thursday 29th January 23:59 PST (1.5 weeks)
  • Firm string freeze and slushy Code freeze from: Tuesday 3rd February 23:59 PST
  • Firm code/string freeze from: Thursday 5th February 23:59 PST
  • l10n-mozilla-1.9.1 freeze from: Sunday 8th February 23:59 PST

(blocker numbers etc updated Monday)

  • We need to drive bugs with large string changes, e.g., archive, auto config, activity manager. Some way of marking bugs needing strings would be useful.

    • Archive patch landed.

    • Activity Manager is awaiting a new patch from Emre.
    • AutoConfig bug 422814.


Thunderbird 3

  • time to truly clamp down and ship sooner rather than later, even at the cost of substantial feature cuts

  • we need to get everything tracked in bugzilla
  • we will now have component drivers so that people actually own keeping subsets of bugs well-triaged
    • dmose to propose component assignments tuesday
  • things to file & triage:

    • component drivers: blocking+ / blocking? bugs

    • davida: development roadmap
    • clarkbw: UX bugs from last weeks meeting
    • dmose: message reader bugs, tb3needs bugs
  • new triage rules

    • to stay on blocking+ list, a bug must be owned by someone, even if that’s (temporarily) the component driver

    • for each triaged bug on the blocking list: owner, target milestone, priority (P1 – P3; will be used to move bugs if milestone added)
    • criteria for blocking+: if this were the last blocker, we would make all of our users wait even longer for the existing changes in order to get the fix for this one?
  • to think about:

    • when do we branch? (i suspect immediately after b2)

    • when do we lock down the branch for only blocking+ and approved+ (i suspect a couple of weeks after b2)
    • how do we want to handle existing wanted+ bugs? (throw them off the list?)
    • when should we target having the first round of filing / triage done? (1 week from Tuesday?)
    • There will be a TB 3 beta 3 (milestone created in bugzilla)


QA Updates


Roundtable


Status Updates


davida


dmose


nth10sd
  • Triaging more often now since Mozmill in TB is sort-of working now.

  • Patches, triage, bugday, etc.


Standard8

Non-goal activities:

  • Reviews

  • bug 126491 Drop “Card for:” on address book contact preview panes (part of the Card -> Contact rename).

Two week goals (start of week 2):

  • Finish driving in Password Manager

    • LANDED!

    • Fixed regressions/problems:
      • bug 437635 (Multiple Master passwords again), bug 473973 (Calendar gdata issue), bug 474277 Incorrect use of real versus original usernames (caused at least some imap problems).
    • Outstanding regressions/problems:
      • bug 473715 LDAP fails in autocomplete

      • bug 474115 Unknown, reporter is unclear (possible failure points are fixed afaict)
  • Implement send in background
    • Currently fixing/reworking code/interfaces to provide an improved server/listener type format so that we can have one service where everything “send later” related happens, and decent feedback for the UI e.g. activity manager.

    • Looking to get at least a turned-off by default version into the code this week.
    • bug 473458 Clean up nsIMsgWindow arguments on some functions so that we don’t need a msgWindow for the send later code.
    • bug 473740 Tidied up the service, dropped the intermediate nsIMessenger functions.
  • Investigate Weave pop-tart system
    • Started to look at, may be difficult for passwords, but could easily do for prompts. Probably worth integrating with the interactive status bar.
  • Try and get initial numbers for Ts to see if we can enable jemalloc.


asuth


bienvenu


gozer
  • Back from vacation

  • Massive burnage now mostly under control, summary of events:
    • NAS throughput problems [worked on]

    • Power outage at MPT Colo
    • VM Disk Corruption
    • Blue Screening win2k builder [ reimaged builder ]
    • spreadthunderbird.com
      • Drupal security advisory

      • Eats 100% CPU and 100% RAM sometimes
      • Being spidered by Yahoo/MSN/Google/others doesn’t help
    • Networking instabilities (timeouts)

More organized update next week.


clarkbw


wsmwk
  • triage tab bugs and update meta bug 392328

  • triage tags/labels bugs and update meta bug 432710 (if any are missing, they would probably be in this query
  • bugday
  • herding crash bugs


beckley


Penelope


KaiRo


philipp / Calendar
  • Calendar is heading towards automated testing with mozmill. First test in bug 474322. Needs build system integration though (bug 457265).

  • Calendar blocking list needs triaging to cut down needed effort for a 1.0.
  • Exams Jan 30th and Feb 2nd.

  • I need a definitive answer what features are being cut to find out which areas to focus on.
  • Will prepare blog post talking about new leadership.


rkent


rebron
  • About complete with the en-US pages for the web site redesign. Wrapping up this week.

Two Week Goal

  • Distribution plan.

  • Continue work on Support/Help plan.
  • Beta 2 work.


Attendees

Mozilla Platform Meeting Minutes: 2009-01-20

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — bsmedberg @ 12:00 am

Platform/2009-01-20

From MozillaWiki

« previous week | index | next week »


Notices / Schedule

Firefox 3.0.7

  • Code freeze will be February 3 at 11:59pm PST

  • Tree will open for 1.9.0.7 approved checkins today or tomorrow
  • Blockers needing 1.9.0.7 patches
  • More queries available on the wiki

Firefox 3.1 Beta 3

  • we will go over the list of P1 blockers outstanding in this meeting and ensure they are being tracked

  • Important Dates:
    • Code freeze on January 25th, 11:59pm PDT

    • QA Start on January 27th, 9:00am PDT
    • Release on Feb 2nd, noon PDT


Blocker Report

Since 1.9.1 branch …

Past 2 weeks …

[ Platform Blocker Queries | Front End Blocker Queries ]


Firefox 3.1 Update

  • Polish update: Firefox is 27% shiny (change of +4% over last week)


GFX 1.9.1 Update


Layout 1.9.1 Update

  • 21 blockers

    • 2 P1, Can we get an update on these?

      • bug 462188 Option-Delete / Ctrl-Backspace does not delete words in designmode textareas or Thunderbird message body editor

      • bug 469613 Clickings on scrollbar’s blank areas (above or below the thumb) don’t scroll the page, if the page is very long.
    • 9 P2
    • 10 P3
  • 9 Noms
  • 5 untriaged nominations
  • Video/Audio
    • Major P1s: progress events, security checks proving stubborn


Content 1.9.1 Update


JS 1.9.1


Mobile 1.9.1 Update


General 1.9.1 Updates


Security


Security Reviews

Still outstanding / to be scheduled

  • native JSON

  • DNS prefetching

Booked but not yet completed


Roundtable

20-January-2009

Places Meeting Minutes: 2009-01-19

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — bsmedberg @ 12:00 am

Places/Status Meetings/2009-01-19

From MozillaWiki

« previous week | index | next week »

Places Team Meeting Details

  • Mondays at 9:00am Pacific

  • irc.mozilla.org #places


Work Priorities

  • Blockers (http://tinyurl.com/5zpgx7)

    • One unassigned blocker has been assigned to dietrich.
  • Bugs targeted 3.1: (http://tinyurl.com/7cvrs7)
    • MaK77 will make a first pass of this, followed by dietrich to go through and remove bugs from this list that are clearly new features that will not be making it for 1.9.1.

    • Bugs are marked with [good first bug] in the whiteboard as well for new folks to jump into and still impact the 3.1 release.
  • Bug Triage (http://tinyurl.com/a3j9p6)
    • Dropped below 1700 today!

    • Try to triage these if you have some spare time.
    • Targetting to drop off another 100 of these by next week (by fixing, closing, duping, etc)


QA Issues


Roundtable

Developer documentation

  • updated ERD needs review

  • updated API docs, missing anything?
  • wiki.m.o
    • updated the Places landing page (DA)

    • the old design overview and all the docs linked from it need “POSSIBLY OUT OF DATE”, linked to the landing page, or maybe MDC.
    • need documentation on how to write SQL queries against the places backend, for core developers.
      • How to write queries in the new temp-table era (MaK77)

      • How to get to the places database/basic entry points (MaK77)
      • Invariants and triggers (sdwilsh)
      • Check over existing documentation for outdated information (sdwilsh)
  • MDC

Bugs needing review:

  • triage 3.1 targeted to find wanted-firefox3.1+ (MaK77, then dietrich, completed)

  • triage UI-WANTED bugs to see if they still need UX input (open)
  • 300+ unconfirmed, need to get this number down

Older Posts »

Powered by WordPress