Meeting Notes

23-July-2008

Mozilla Platform Meeting Minutes: 2008-07-23

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — bsmedberg @ 11:01 pm

Platform/2008-07-23

From MozillaWiki

« previous week | index | next week »


Details

  • Wednesdays – 11:00am Pacific, 2:00pm Eastern, 19:00 UTC

  • Mozilla Building S – <script> conference room
  • 650-903-0800 or 650-215-1282 x91 Conf# 8600 (US/INTL)
  • 1-800-707-2533 (pin 369) Conf# 8600 (US)
  • irc.mozilla.org #shiretoko for backchannel


Notices

  • 1.9.1 Alpha 1 Freeze was last night, Monday, July 21st @11:59PM PDT.

  • There will be no Gecko/Platform meeting next week due to Firefox Summit. Next meeting will be on August 6, 2008.


GFX 1.9.1 Update

  • GFX blocking 1.9.1+

  • GFX wanted 1.9.1+
  • Performance
    • image caching patch from Joe in review; planning on removing nsIImage soon, which will remove one level of indirection from image drawing

    • CMS perf continues to improve; down to ~10% perf hit with it enabled, with progress going on to bring it lower.
    • New cairo/pixman with SSE2 support, but SSE2 is disabled until we can work around some compiler bugs/issues (both MSVC and gcc)
    • in progress: large scaling perf win based on our old imgScaler code; especially useful for mobile (~4.5x faster!)
  • Features
    • Aero Glass patch in reviews; fixed support for content getting notified of OS theme (and glass/composition status) changes so that themes can update accordingly

    • Canvas bidi text available, work ongoing for adding remaining missing bits from spec to Canvas


Layout 1.9.1 Update

  • 1.9.1 Layout Bugs

  • Video (roc/cdouble): Chris just put up a patch for review. Will be disabled until we get legal advice.
  • Acid3: Roc or dbaron, status?
    • up to 84/100 thanks (I think) to NodeIterator patch

    • media queries should land soon, bringing us to 85/100
  • SMIL (dholbert):
    • Finished a CSS-integration patch

    • Working on support for all SVG attribute types
  • SVG fonts:
  • SVG CSS, roc:
  • border-image (robarnold, dbaron)
    • landed
  • media queries (dbaron)
    • need a few reviews from reviews, should land soon
  • CSS transforms – keith:
    • Most functionality ready.

    • Trying to iron out odd edge cases.


Content 1.9.1 Update

  • Content 1.9.1 Bugs

  • Worker Threads: Didn’t make it in (trouble getting reviews), but ready to go now
  • Cross-site XHR: Spec looks good, should be in for beta1.
  • XHR Upload and download progress events? Main patch has reviews, ready to land (or landed?). Followup patches need reviews.
  • Java/OJI bug: In progress, but not in yet. Minor JS engine changes needed.
  • Selectors API: Landed!
  • NodeIterator bug 132824 landed.


JS 1.9.1

  • JS 1.9.1 Bugs

  • JS Tracing:
    • Last week’s status:

      • Some unmodified benchmarks

      • many more opcodes traced
      • perf still looks good
    • This Week’s Status:
      • some benchmarks doing well

      • running mostly unmodified
      • discovered some interpreter perf fixes, landing in m-c
Blocking
417131 igor@mir2.org review_brendan? JS Enumeration Allocation Consternation
430133 mrbkap@gmail.com review_brendan? Object.defineProperty
421864 igor@mir2.org wip-patch Interpreter creates too many doubles
433337 igor@mir2.org FIXED Reunify jsinterp.c on Windows
Wanted
229756 brendan@mozilla.org Make SpiderMonkey’s const extension JS2/ES4 compatible
260106 brendan@mozilla.org wip-patch elisions in array literals should not create properties (js1_5/Array/11.1.4.js)
312354 brendan@mozilla.org FIXED Assignment expressions have wrong type (ecma_3/Operators/11.13.1-002.js)
363534 brendan@mozilla.org FIXED Combine JSOP_LT and JSOP_IFEQ, etc., pairs
445893 brendan@mozilla.org FIXED Use the property cache for JSOP_NAMEINC, etc.
384244 crowder@fiverocks.com review_igor? update jsdtoa with interesting pieces of more-recent dtoa
440473 crowder@fiverocks.com FIXED crash [@ Decompile][@ js_GetSrcNoteOffset] with firebug/jQuery
433351 crowder@fiverocks.com wip-patch Implement Object.extend
442379 dmandelin@mozilla.com wip-patch try inline-threading, at least with GCC if not MSVC
305064 mike.kaplinskiy@gmail.com checkin_needed Add trim, ltrim, and rtrim features for javascript strings
352437 general@js.bugs string.link does not escape url
429507 general@js.bugs Function.prototype.bind
433336 graydon@mozilla.com review_shaver? array iteration optimization

411575 igor@mir2.org FIXED js_PutCallObject() is slow.
432881 igor@mir2.org FIXED SM: JSVAL_VOID as a pseudo-boolean
443746 igor@mir2.org FIXED Optimizing the enumeration state allocation
346749 mrbkap@gmail.com still_want? let declarations at top level are turned into var declarations
442358 mrbkap@gmail.com FIXED jsinterp control flow doesn’t flow as specified
444787 mrbkap@gmail.com review_brendan? Object.getPrototypeOf
312116 nobody@mozilla.org should support catchall getters/setters
445178 rubys@intertwingly.net Decimal Support
419225 sayrer@gmail.com wip-patch refactor ExecuteREBytecode and SimpleMatch
430930 sayrer@gmail.com Date.parse cannot even parse “2008-04-26″ (should understand ISO 8601)
419743 shaver@mozilla.org wip-patch JSOP_CONCATN for improved chained-concat performance
433335 shaver@mozilla.org mark sharp object avoidance


Mobile 1.9.1 Update

  • M6 this Thursday
  • Checked in:

    • Geolocation

    • Spatial Navigation
  • In Progess:

    • Graphics Performance

      • bug 386440 16bpp visuals are slooow.

        • patch from Oleg Romashin, speeds up performance a good bit
    • Network Performance (bug 437953)
      • bug 444931 double fetching of img src=””s

        • Lots of discussion, need to make some decisions around if we want to change the current behavior
      • bug 364315 speculative parsing
        • mrbkap is working on this, says it will be done this week
  • Platforms

    • gtk-directfb port

      • vlad to land this week
    • Windows mobile
      • Progressing, lots of patches out for review
  • Needs owner:

    • bug 443076 <browser>s don’t take style changes (resizing) when hidden
  • Needs review:

    • bug 441636 tel: url support waiting on review for dbus handlers for hildon

    • bug 437950 mailto: waiting on protocol handler review
    • bug 406837 Software keyboard


Security

  • Layout Security Bugs, Roc or Dbaron, can we get owners for these and some progress?

  • Core Security Bugs:


Security Reviews

Please complete the Security Review Template for your feature before your scheduled review

feature review date who
Worker Threads bent
<video> chrisd
SMIL dholbert / roc
Downloadable Fonts jdaggett
SVG Fonts (at risk?)
new drop of pixman/cairo, need audit? vlad
native JSON sayre
SVG CSS roc
CSS transforms keith
Viewport Tag Parsing bholley
Selectors API bzbarsky
Offline storage dcamp
SVG in <img> joedrew
JS Tracing and other perf refactoring Andreas Gal
XS-XHR sicking
XHR progress events smaug
border-image rarnold
media queries dbaron
new sqlite drop


General 1.9.1 Updates

  • offline, dcamp:

    • Last week:

    • This week:


mozilla-central

22-July-2008

Thunderbird Meeting Minutes: 2008-07-22

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — bsmedberg @ 11:01 pm

Thunderbird/StatusMeetings/2008-07-22

From MozillaWiki

last week | index | next week »

Thunderbird Meeting Details


Agenda

  • Who’s taking minutes?

    • clarkbw is taking minutes


Action Items


Open

  • dmose to do clarifying post about how TB 3.0 roadmap should work w.r.t feature freeze, string freeze, etc.


Closed


Thunderbird:Shredder a2

  • All blockers believed fixed.

  • 3.0a2 Tracking Doc
  • Waiting on build
    • Nick Thomas is starting on the builds today


Move to Hg


QA Updates


Roundtable


Status Updates


davida
  • IORG meeting was interesting but not earth shaking. Good contacts made.

  • Coordination w/ MoCo RelEng re: 3.0a2 and Hg switch
  • Recruiting for volunteers @ OSCON
  • Recruiting for quality lead in progress


dmose


nth10sd

No updates for the past week.


Standard8
  • Address Book

    • bug 439471, bug 437903 more Mac OS X Address Book fixes

    • bug 408613 More work on improving edit LDAP directories dialog code – next to sort out the preference pane code.
  • Autocomplete
    • bug 441530 Fixed autocomplete nomatch test so that it doesn’t leak

    • bug 441526 Updated autocomplete highlight non matches
  • Branding
    • bug 445501 Fixed Wizard images regression – only affect official branding

    • Branding directory reorganisation – started centralising some of the files into the mail/branding/nightly directory
    • bug 443398 Pushed the remaining text branding changes and changed l10n boxes to be unofficial branding (bug 445708).
  • Unit Tests
  • Misc
    • bug 426046 Adding full BuildID to about dialog.

    • bug 445503 Patch for about:crashes (so that it works as a start page on Mac once we get to hg).
    • Reviews (have been a little behind, trying to catch up before summit)
    • Discussions and Documents re move to hg.


asuth

Continuing gloda efforts. The main goal, continuous (event-driven) indexing, for milestone 2 has been done for a bit, although core mods to generate additional events will be required. The slowdown/stumbling block has been dealing with MIME, trying to get a javascript representation. Think I’m basically there. This should enable indexing attachments (a stated goal for milestone 2), and processing of bodies for indexing (not a stated goal).


bienvenu
  • Fixed search indexer folder iteration code bug 430614

  • Wrote patch to fix handling compact of non selected folder (e.g., with context menu) bug 271988
  • Wrote patch to make filter copy action work when filter also does a move action bug 376235
  • Added SMTP port and capability probing to autoconfig patch bug 422814
  • Fixed loading of folders with saved secondary sorts, bug 57898
  • Fixed bug 445343 IMAP saved search creates unneeded .sbd folder
  • Fixed bug 445403, handling of IMAP saved searches with spaces in the name
  • Checked in fixes for using imap & news memory cache when offline bug 213729
  • Addressed review comments for Condstore patch; ready for checkin bug 436151
  • Got hg commit privileges restored, thx to Reed
  • Code reviews
  • Continuing bug list cleanup


emre
  • Still doing more military service


gozer
  • Buildbot setup is still GREEN

    • Converting over to Mercurial is IN PROGRESS

    • Need both master and slaves to automatically pull their configuration from Hg
    • moved into the official Thunderbird Tinderbox bug 422817
    • Clobber support !
    • Really starting to worry about monitoring for these
  • Tinderboxen
    • Taking over the existing Thunderbird tinderboxen

    • Converting them to buildbot/Hg
    • Moving them to MoMo Hardware
  • Release Engineering
    • Will be shoulder surfing Thunderbird 3.0a2
  • Sun Hardware STABLE
  • Blades
    • Had tons of trouble with their FakeRaid

    • Up and running without it
    • Self-Hosting DNS is the first project bug 439076


clarkbw

reviewed

  • bug 359226 — Need Redirect option that allows editing before sending

  • bug 345468 — port fix for bug #341697 (branding wizards) to tbird
  • bug 426046 — “About” dialog: add full BuildID, as in Firefox

commented on

  • bug 422814 — Add Autoconfigure options to the Account Dialog Wizard

  • bug 436794 — Enable Mac OS X system address book per default and add UI
  • bug 221030 &dash; Unable to set up IMAP over SSL using the New Account Wizard

looking over bugs

  • bug 438429 — ‘Meta bug to fix several RSS Summary/Web Page bugs’

  • bug 170520 — Allow SMTP server to be specified when creating new account
  • bug 125188 — allow users to specify which LDAP directories and local AB…


wsmwk


wsmwk
  • triaged “retention policy” bugs

  • close 20 bugs / participate in bugday
  • posted information about Litmus and how to help with QA
  • core mailnews cleanup of QA hopefully this week.
  • reviewed about 60 litmus test results, fixed about 8 testcases so far and added breakpad test. set up testrun for TB3. lots more to go.
  • dealt with troublesome litmus server bug
  • expanded Bug Watchers to include all mailnews related components


jcranmer
  • bug 413260 (should be checked in soon, just need final reviews)

  • bug 437193 — IMAP fakeserver
    • The fakeserver itself is almost complete, just missing a few commands (SEARCH, APPEND, COPY, STORE, LOGIN yet to be implemented, FETCH in progress), as well as iffy i18n support.

    • Fully correct fakeserver needs some things to be fixed with libmime, will detail on bug
    • bug 16913 — just needs a final review


beckley
  • Patches that I updated:

    • bug 444209 Filter selected messages (awaiting review from mnyromyr)

    • bug 440635 Manual filtering context (awaiting ui-review from clarkbw)
  • We decided to defer UI implementation of the Redirect feature bug 359226, but the backend code will go in (awaiting superreview from neil)
  • Moving Qualcomm code depot over to pulling from comm-central hg repository
  • Helped sid0 with rework of nsMsgDBFolder::GetMsgTextFromStream()


KaiRo


rkent
  • Junk/Search related landed patches

    • bug 443993, Moved IMAP junk message does not preserve junkstatusorigin and junkpercent.

    • bug 200138, Delete Mail Marked as Junk changes/forces selection
    • bug 428427, Unread count in virtual folders not updated for changed headers
  • Misc landed patches
    • bug 441191, POP/RSS automatic filtering: delete message action is marking read, not deleting

    • bug 373967, Custom column added by extension is not displayed properly while in “grouped by sort”
  • General directions
    • I have a large, possibly controversial refactoring patch for MSG_FLAG_NEW management (bug 441932 “Keep lists of new messages only in nsMsgDBFolder”) virtually ready for review. I’ve recently completed a general and a specific unit test for this, as well as done the umpteenth patch review. This patch will help with progress in various changes in BIFF management, including management of BIFF notification by filters (bug 11040).

    • I’m currently collecting a variety of changes (I call them “improvements”) in the available UI for junk management into an extension “junquilla”.


Attendees

Firefox 3.1 Meeting Minutes: 2008-07-22

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — bsmedberg @ 11:00 pm

Firefox3.1/StatusMeetings/2008-07-22

From MozillaWiki

« previous week | index | next week »

Firefox 3.1/Gecko 1.9.1 Meeting Details

  • Tuesdays – Firefox 3 – 11:00am Pacific, 2:00pm Eastern, 18:00 UTC

  • Mozilla Building S
  • 650-903-0800 or 650-215-1282 x91 Conf# 217 (US/INTL)
  • 1-800-707-2533 (pin 369) Conf# 217 (US)
  • irc.mozilla.org #shiretoko for backchannel


Firefox 3.1

  • Alpha 1 Status – what got in?

    • In Alpha 1

      • worker threads (under review)

      • offline storage / local storage (under review)
      • downloadable fonts (kinda maybe)
      • native JSON (under review)
      • WHATWG <canvas> text API
      • awesomebar improvements (need review gavin, shepherding)
      • border image
      • media queries
      • ctrl-tab
      • query selectors
    • communication and rollout plan

      • blog
    • Alpha 1 Schedule

      • build will start today, should expect to see them Wednesday AM PDT

      • qa to do en-US only testing, perform spot check, do some feature dig in, aggressively target Friday
      • web changes to be ready by Friday
      • still on track for Friday release
  • Ongoing work status – long poles & risk?

    • Not gonna make it for Alpha 1

      • media queries – reviews done, needs revision, looking ok

      • worker threads – needs review
      • offline storage / local storage – needs review
      • downloadable fonts – reviews done, revisions needed, 1wk or so
      • native JSON – needs review request, not a lot of motion
      • Cross Site XHR (spec issues, yay) – spec work going well, looks good!
      • SMIL: Have a CSS patch; now working on the rest of the basic SVG types – still in development
      • <video> decoders – waiting on advice from Harvey, patches ready to roll
      • SVG image decoding – needs work
      • -moz-transform – running into edge cases, not at risk yet
      • bulk tagging ({bug|412002}) – some add-on uplift available
      • add-on updating – waiting for rob on review, needs testing
      • exiting the browser experience – patches underway, needs ui-review
      • ctrl-tab – looking good
      • private browsing mode – needs resource, at risk
      • front end polish work – unscoped, underresourced, at risk
      • prism uplift – underresourced, at risk
      • color management profile on by default – lookin’ into it!
  • Security reviews

    • dveditz to co-ordinate


Localization

  • if code freeze is Aug 19, string freeze should be Friday the 15th

    • not a lot of string work to be done
  • joduinn to drive the l10n repo issue


QA

  • need to ensure test plans for new features are being filed

    • when you’re ready to think about testing, email tchung@mozilla.com

    • Still looking for documentation/bug numbers/specs of each feature. Also need to know which associated developers correspond to the features.
      • worker threads

      • offline storage / local storage
      • downloadable fonts
      • native JSON
      • WHATWG <canvas> text API
      • border image (dbaron/robarnold)
      • media queries (dbaron)
      • bulk tagging
      • SMIL
      • Cross Site XHR
      • SVG image decoding
      • query selectors
      • SVG fonts
      • SVG CSS
  • Fx3.1 Testplan in progress.

    • Feature Assignments being divvy’d up, based on getting the information first from above.
  • Alpha 1 testing will consist of smoketests and high level spotchecks. En-US only.
    • Any areas recommended we focus specifically on for alpha 1 regression testing?
  • For security reviews, please keep QA in the loop so we can participate also.


Build


Round table

21-July-2008

Mozilla Project Meeting Minutes: 2008-07-21

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — bsmedberg @ 11:00 pm

WeeklyUpdates/2008-07-21

From MozillaWiki

« previous week | index | next week »

Meeting Details

  • 1:00pm Pacific time (20:00 UTC until November 2, 2008)

  • Mozilla HQ, 1st floor conference table
  • +1 650 903 0800 x91 Conf# 8600 (US/International)
  • +1 416 848 3114 x91 Conf# 8600 (Canada)
  • +1 800 707 2533 (pin 369) Conf# 8600 (US Toll Free)
  • join irc.mozilla.org #staffmeeting for backchannel

note: all participants are muted automatically; if you want to talk, press *1 to un-mute yourself


Friends of the Tree

The tree is smiling this week with so many good friends around :D

  • Dan Portillo would like us to recognize all the work that Tiffney’s been doing to get visas processed for community members attending the summit.

  • Jesse Ruderman nominated “niteowltx” for reporting a collection of valuable ‘inspect’ bugs (found with the ancient AT&T Toolchest.)
  • Ryan Doherty submitted Ehsan Akhgari for recognition of his work on Download Day including the Pledge Ranking Widget and Download Day site API code improvements.
  • Aza Raskin writes in “Giacomo Magnini did a wonderful job putting together a Mozilla Italia get-together/talk on super short notice when I was in Rome. I was totally impressed. I hereby nominated him for Friends of the Tree.”
  • Last but not least, from Bobby Holley comes word that “Chris Murphy has been a huge help on color management, QAing bugs and providing expert advice (he wrote a book on the subject). Progress on default-on color management support would not be nearly as far along without him.”

Let’s hear a round of applause for this weeks Friends of the Tree!

Late Update: Justin Scott writes in “I’d like to nominate the AMO editors, especially Oliver Saier, Mel Reyes, and Sid Kalra, for working extra hard to make progress on the add-on review queue over the weekend.”

Please send FotT nominations to asa@mozilla.org. This is a great opportunity for the community to recognize those who go above and beyond, so please tell me when you see that happening. Thanks.


Development Updates


Fx 2.0.0.16 / Fx 2.0.0.17 / Fx 3.0.1 / Fx 3.0.2 / TB 2.0.0.16

Shipped an updated Firefox to almost all of our users (there’s a few stragglers on 1.0.x and 1.5.0.x) by shipping Firefox 2.0.0.16 and 3.0.1. We’re now in the process of approving patches and determining the schedule of Firefox 2.0.0.17 and 3.0.2.

In addition, we plan to hold a joint post-mortem for Firefox 2.0.0.16/3.0.1. Please add any agenda items to the wiki.

Also last week, we shipping Thunderbird 2.0.0.16 to beta users and intend to ship the final version this coming Wednesday, July 23.

A note on approvals for Firefox 3.0.2: If you expect a patch to get approved it *needs* to have an automated test or a clear description as to why it doesn’t and, in that case, should have a Litmus test. Additionally, drivers expect the patch to land on mozilla-central (trunk!) prior to landing on 1.9.0. If there’s a reason this hasn’t happened, please explain why in the bug.


TB 3


Gecko 1.9.1

  • Gecko Shiretoko 1.9.1 Alpha 1 Freeze tonight, Monday, July 21 @ 11:59PM PDT.

Interesting queries related to Gecko 1.9.1

  • 17 1.9.1 blockers.

  • 128 wanted bugs
    • 29 P1s. These are bugs we feel would really, really make a good release if we had a solid handful completed.

    • 39 P2s. These are medium complexity bugs/changes that are nice to have.
    • 31 P3s. The lowest priority bugs for this release. These are the ones that we will definitely take, but the others take priority.


Firefox 3


Mobile


IT

  • Scheduled Maintenance, Tuesday night

    • MediaWiki/WordPress upgrades

    • Spreadfirefox, ~ 1 hour
  • Decommissioning LXR tonight – bug 445051
    • Remaining regressions in MXR from LXR:

      • mxr says function references are prototype definitions bug 442619

      • mxr says constant assignments are variable definitions bug 445051
      • MXR file listing output is significantly slower than LXR bug 445156
    • Need feedback, are these issues really worth blocking the full upgrade to MXR? Timeless is actively working on bugfixes for these, so they’ll be fixed soon.


Release Engineering

  • FF2.0.0.16 & FF3.0.1 done at same time by the same person. And Bhearsum still had a social life!

  • TB2.0.0.16 automation went fine; now be able to do *3* releases at a time! :-)
  • FF3.1a1 will be manual :-( please be patient

    • this will be our first release on hg

    • we are still getting automation running on hg, without any tinderbox
  • new graphserver changes, see graph-stage.m.o if curious.

    • will need downtime tomorrow (tues) night.

    • graphserver now all in one (hg) repo
  • downtime tomorrow night moving unittest master/slaves from QA network to Build network

    • will require tree closure
  • FF2->FF3 major update bits being tested by QA.


QA

Firefox/Thunderbird 2.0.0.x [ss, abililings, others]

  • Released Firefox 2.0.0.16 on Tues July 15th. Completed update testing and live bits testing.

  • Completed Update testing for Thunderbird 2.0.0.16 beta (AKA RC1) release. RC1 was released on Wednesday , July 16th.
  • Starting triage for Firefox 2.0.0.17!

Firefox 3.0.x [tchung]

  • Released 3.0.1 on Wednesday, July 16. Completed update testing and live bits testing. See Test Plan.

  • Major Update Firefox 2.x to 3.x – Updated the test plan. Generating a rich profile. Testing is ~30% done. [juanb]
  • Assisted web team with a blocklisting flash bug. bug 436348 – Consider blocklisting vulnerable versions of flash

Firefox 3.1

  • Working on Test Plan

  • Ran JavaScript tests for 1.9.1/mozilla-central across Windows, Linux, Mac OS X and updated public-failures and confidential failures to include 1.9.1 test data – bug 399387 [bc]
  • Tested the new Control Tab feature that landed this week [marcia]
  • A11y Text attribute support: Helped test last patch revisions and landing of bug 345759 – Spell as you type not accessible. Created English and German blog posts about it. [marcoz]

Webdev testing [stephend]

  • AMO – Continued work on Selenium-based search test suite. Caught a form-validation regression which we introduced in this 3.4.6 milestone while writing the testsuite — yay! Verified 23 bug fixes in preparation for 3.4.6 release.

  • SUMO – Verified 27 bug fixes in preparation for the 0.6.1 release.
  • Mozilla.com – Verified 22 bug fixes

Mobile [harthur, ctalbert]

  • Ran the ported mochitests on desktop version of Fennic

  • Finished geo-location tests
  • This week: add mochitests for new/special features of mobile

Test Automation

  • Gristmill: Refactoring JS Test Framework to work as a resource. Figured out how to make blocking waits work. [mikeal, ctalbert, adam]

  • Improved Sisyphus by writing patches for bug 446097 -Error when you run the Tests outside of the $Test_DIR. And for bug 446092 -improve compiler environment customization on Windows.

Community

  • QMO2 is coming along nicely. The QA team is working on content to drop into the new community portal. Example: Getstarted. Paulc is working on a Bugzilla dashboard module. New theme develpoment is coming together. [jay, paulc, tchung]

  • Accessibility: Put up the latest English and German Easy ARIA tips. [marcoz]

Miscellaneous

  • Ran JavaScript tests for 1.9.1/actionmonkey, 1.9.1/tracemonkey on Linux with plans to determine how to distinguish and record failures for identical branch on different repositories. [bc]

  • Extension Leak testing: Created 50 Test Profiles with Extensions for Mochikit Tests [tomcat]. bug 444088 is blocking Mochikit leak testing.
  • Prepping for OSCON – we have a QA session (Fixing Hard Problems Through Iterative QA and Development), a Testing BOF, and we are supporting the FOSSCoach event. Flyers are being developed to give out at the booth and at the session and BOF. [clint, tomcat, tony, mikeal, jay]
  • Looking for community help to develop and maintain QAC.
  • Setting up machine to test Snow Leopard (MacOS 10.6) [marcia]


Security


Marketing/PR

PR

Events

  • Events Triage call on Wednesday July 23rd at 10 a.m. PDT. Dial-in: 650-903-0800, ext 91, pass 248.

  • OSCON is currently in progress. A complete list of activites are listed here.

Retention Marketing

Affiliates Program

  • Please take the Affiliates Survey [1]

  • FF2 buttons to be updated sometime this week


Support

  • Starting this week, we’re going to collect info about the most important support issues users are experiencing from the forum and live chat.

    • The idea is that there will be specific community members responsible for doing this on a weekly basis.

    • The data will be posted in a contributor forum thread where everyone can see it.
    • In combination with the knowledge base stats, this should give us a pretty good idea on what our biggest support issues are.
  • Presenting at FOSSCoach on Wednesday [2]


Metrics


Evangelism

  • Rob Campbell joined Evangelism, to work with John Resig and Jan Odvarko on Firebug development and general awesomeness. Come say hello in #firebug on irc.mozilla.org!

  • Asa will be hosting another awesome Air Mozilla Live episode with Mitchell Baker and Mark Surman this Wednesday at 11am PDT (UTC-7). This is your chance to meet and ask questions of Mark Surman, prospective Mozilla Foundation Executive Director. Don’t miss it.


Mozilla Labs


Webdev, Add-ons, AMO

  • AMO 3.4.6 code freeze is today open bugs & fixed bugs

  • Socorro – processor issues fixed, priority processing is back down to 1-2 minutes
  • Current bottleneck is the reporter and we need to come to a consensus on an archiving policy
    • Delete reports 120 days after creation

    • Sample 10% of incoming crash reports that are not selected for priority processing
    • Delete non-processed non-priority reports after 7 days
    • morgamic will follow-up with blog post and newsgroups
  • Summit mash-up underway — see infra stuff and mockhow to tag
  • Graph server 0.3 milestone nearing completion — expect update to production on Tuesday night
  • Verbatim now works with database support thanks to dschafer!
  • rdoherty and clouserw are out this week, OSCON is also this week
  • Become an AMO editor!


L10n


Foundation Updates

  • Future of the Foundation

    • Mitchell announced that Mark Surman is being considered for the Foundation executive director position.

    • David posted a blog entry with ideas about how the Foundation might support the Mozilla community.
  • Legal issues

    • Gerv called for people to sign committer’s agreements at the Firefox Summit.
  • Grants and related activities

  • CAs and related issues

    • Frank gave final approval for two requests from GlobalSign (bugs 406794 and 406796) and filed bug 446407 against NSS and bug 446409 against PSM for the actual code changes.

    • Frank started the first public comment period for requests from Comodo (for a new ECC root, bug 421946), Deutsche Telekom/T-Systems (bug 378882), and Wells Fargo (bug 428390).
    • Frank worked with Kathleen Wilson to select the next group of CAs for which to process requests and do information gathering.
  • Conferences

    • Zak continued working on the proposed FOSSCoach event at OSCON and related activities, including drafting the schedule and helping to orient the event coaches and participants.
  • Public communications

    • David arranged for printing copies of the Mozilla brochure for OSCON, and started work on a brochure page for www.mozilla.org.

    • David prepared for a session on the www.mozilla.org site at the upcoming Firefox Summit.
    • David updated the About page on www.mozilla.org to keep it in sync with the last round of changes to brochure text.
  • Other

    • Gerv met with various people about proposed Site Security Policy implementations.
  • Upcoming activities

    • David, Gerv, and Zak will be attending OSCON (July 21-25 in Portland OR) and the Firefox Summit (July 29-31 in Whistler BC).

    • Frank will be attending the Firefox Summit (but not OSCON), and then will be on vacation most of the following week.


Roundtable


Other Business

18-July-2008

Mozilla Platform Meeting Minutes: 2008-07-16

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — bsmedberg @ 9:51 pm

Platform/2008-07-16

From MozillaWiki

« previous week | index | next week »


Notices

  • 1.9.1 Alpha 1 Freeze on Tuesday, July 21st @11:59PM PDT.


GFX 1.9.1 Update

  • GFX blocking 1.9.1+

  • GFX wanted 1.9.1+
  • borders
    • optimizations landing this week

    • border-image needs some fixes, landing soon
  • SVG fonts — no news
  • Do we have an update on bz’s work to make <img src=”foo.svg> possible?
    • will be done via bling-branch
  • downloadable fonts (jdaggett/zack)
    • Waiting on reviews, might happen by alpha, might not (john’s out this week)
  • pixman/cairo perf:
    • new cairo drop this week

    • jeff finding big perf wins in pixman C paths
  • CMS perf work:
    • down to 10% perf hit from 20%, bobby has plans for the remaining 10%
  • UI improvements:
    • Glass blocked on widget bug (robarnold)
  • imglib:


Layout 1.9.1 Update

  • 1.9.1 Layout Bugs

  • Video (roc/cdouble)
  • Acid3: Roc or dbaron, status?
  • SMIL (dholbert):
    • Implemented getOverrideStyle

    • Working on building SMIL-for-CSS-properties on top of that
  • SVG fonts:
  • SVG CSS, roc:
  • border-image (robarnold, dbaron):
  • media queries (dbaron):
  • CSS transforms – keith:
    • Click detection and event coordinate space translation working.

    • Working on a few stray bugs.


Content 1.9.1 Update


JS 1.9.1

  • JS 1.9.1 Bugs

  • JS Tracing:
    • Last week’s status:

      • more nanojit patches

      • added tracing for many opcodes, close to running some benchmarks unmodified
      • perf looking good
    • This Week’s Status:
      • Some unmodified benchmarks

      • many more opcodes traced
      • perf still looks good

Some new wanted+ bugs. In particular, we have an ES3.1 Decimal patch + tests from Sam Ruby.

Adding profiling hooks for other platforms in the spirit of our Shark JS hooks. Graydon Hoare has landed support for Callgrind, and a VTune patch awaits review.

Blocking
417131 igor@mir2.org review_brendan? JS Enumeration Allocation Consternation
430133 mrbkap@gmail.com review_brendan? Object.defineProperty
421864 igor@mir2.org wip-patch Interpreter creates too many doubles
433337 igor@mir2.org checkin_needed Reunify jsinterp.c on Windows
Wanted
229756 brendan@mozilla.org Make SpiderMonkey’s const extension JS2/ES4 compatible
260106 brendan@mozilla.org wip-patch elisions in array literals should not create properties (js1_5/Array/11.1.4.js)
312354 brendan@mozilla.org FIXED Assignment expressions have wrong type (ecma_3/Operators/11.13.1-002.js)
363534 brendan@mozilla.org FIXED Combine JSOP_LT and JSOP_IFEQ, etc., pairs
384244 crowder@fiverocks.com review_igor? update jsdtoa with interesting pieces of more-recent dtoa
433351 crowder@fiverocks.com Implement Object.extend
442379 dmandelin@mozilla.com wip-patch try inline-threading, at least with GCC if not MSVC
305064 general@js.bugs Add trim, ltrim, and rtrim features for javascript strings
352437 general@js.bugs string.link does not escape url
429507 general@js.bugs Function.prototype.bind
411575 igor@mir2.org FIXED js_PutCallObject() is slow.
432881 igor@mir2.org FIXED SM: JSVAL_VOID as a pseudo-boolean
443746 igor@mir2.org FIXED Optimizing the enumeration state allocation
346749 mrbkap@gmail.com still_want? let declarations at top level are turned into var declarations
442358 mrbkap@gmail.com FIXED jsinterp control flow doesn’t flow as specified
312116 nobody@mozilla.org should support catchall getters/setters
445178 rubys@intertwingly.net Decimal Support
419225 sayrer@gmail.com wip-patch refactor ExecuteREBytecode and SimpleMatch
430930 sayrer@gmail.com Date.parse cannot even parse “2008-04-26″ (should understand ISO 8601)
419743 shaver@mozilla.org wip-patch JSOP_CONCATN for improved chained-concat performance
433335 shaver@mozilla.org mark sharp object avoidance
433336 shaver@mozilla.org array iteration optimization


Mobile 1.9.1 Update


Security


General 1.9.1 Updates

  • offline, dcamp:

    • Last week:

    • This week:


mozilla-central

7-July-2008

Mozilla Project Meeting Minutes: 2008-07-07

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — bsmedberg @ 11:00 pm

WeeklyUpdates/2008-07-07

From MozillaWiki

« previous week | index | next week »

Meeting Details

  • 1:00pm Pacific time (20:00 UTC until November 2, 2008)

  • Mozilla HQ, 1st floor conference table
  • +1 650 903 0800 x91 Conf# 8600 (US/International)
  • +1 416 848 3114 x91 Conf# 8600 (Canada)
  • +1 800 707 2533 (pin 369) Conf# 8600 (US Toll Free)
  • join irc.mozilla.org #staffmeeting for backchannel

note: all participants are muted automatically; if you want to talk, press *1 to un-mute yourself


Friends of the Tree


Development Updates


Fx 2.0.0.15 / Fx 2.0.0.16 / TB 2.0.0.16

Firefox 2.0.0.15 came out of the oven like a warm apple pie last Tuesday. We attempted to have a post-mortem today, but have instead moved it to Wednesday at 11am. Please add your agenda items to the wiki page.

Firefox 2.0.0.16 is almost ready for baking to our beta channel. We intend to pop it in the oven tomorrow.

Thunderbird 2.0.0.16 is in the hands of build who have started the process. Builds are in process and should be available for testing tomorrow.


TB 3

  • 3.0alpha2 code freeze is Tuesday evening, 23:59 Pacific

  • We’ll be moving forward with the proposal for shipping Thunderbird 3. We may shift some milestone dates around a bit; mozilla.dev.planning discussion forthcoming.


Gecko 1.9.1

  • For a great update of what’s going on in Gecko, take a look at last week’s Gecko meeting notes. Highlights include:

    • New video backends (working on them!).

    • More Acid3 tests passing.
    • SMIL
    • SVG CSS: SVG Gradients and Patterns as backgrounds for HTML elements, etc.
    • Worker Threads
    • Tons of JS performance improvements.
    • Offline versioned app caches.
  • Look here for interesting queries related to Gecko 1.9.1.
  • Still 17 1.9.1 blockers.
  • 87 wanted bugs
    • 25 P1s. These are bugs we feel would really, really make a good release if we had a solid handful completed.

    • 23 P2s. These are medium complexity bugs/changes that are nice to have.
    • 20 P3s. The lowest priority bugs for this release. These are the ones that we will definitely take, but the others take priority.


Firefox 3


Mobile

  • implementing UI for Fennec

  • on track for M5 release on Friday


IT

  • working with build on unit test issues

  • build-out of new mini farm
  • kernel updates/rhel 5 updates coming this week
  • mrz and oremj out this week – IT response may not be as fast this week


Release Engineering

  • Intermittent unittest failures: code/framework/machine? bug 438871
  • TB20.0.16 automation
  • FF 2.0.0.16 *and* FF3.0.1 on the same day
  • proposed changes to buildIDs

  • out of office:

    • nthomas, joduinn

    • please file bugs to mozilla.org:ReleaseEngineering


QA

Firefox/Thunderbird 2.0.0.x [ss, abillings, juanb, hali]

  • Firefox 2.0.0.15 – Completed final release testing and shipped on Tuesday, July 1st!

  • Started testing Firefox 2.0.0.16. See test plan [abillings]

Firefox 3.0.1 [ss, tchung, marcia, juanb, hali]

  • Created the Test Plan [tchung]

  • Received builds on July 2 and started bug fix verification, smoketests, BFTs, L10n spot checks, and update testing. Results.
  • Expect to release to Beta on Thurs July 10th

Firefox 3.0/3.1

  • Feedback monitoring: Worked with contact at ebay to help resolve bug 441779. Escalated Yahoo Mail issue that was causing lots of issues- bug 443280. This was a high visibility issue that was hitting lots of users suddenly. [tchung, marcia, tomcat]

  • Accessibility: Developed fix for bug 442659 having to do with ARIA menus. Verified landing of bug 439566. With this, screen readers using IAccessible2 or ATK now have access to all CSS display properties (except for display: none, which we don’t provide accessible objects for at all). Landed patches for bug 442862 and bug 442648, giving us a set of tests for HTML and XUL textboxes and textareas. [marcoz]

WebDev Testing [stephend]

  • AMO: Continued developing Selenium-based search test suite. Wrote documentation on creating/executing Selenium IDE scripts via Selenium RC

  • SUMO: Verified 12 FIXED bugs
  • General: Verified 39 bug fixes

Test development and automation

  • Gristmill: Made progress with Windows events handling, observer, and JSBridge. Working on a library called ChromeLib.js to be used to manage windows and tabs via fuel/xpcom interfaces in MozMill. Developing initial proof of concept scripts [mikeal, adam, ctalbert, hali]

  • Test Coverage analysis. Completed first hack at extracting the distribution of tests in the source tree. [martijn]
  • Minotaur/L10n: Some progress automating the testing of preferences for locales, now that Build has automated the building of locales and hand-off to testing processes. [ctalbert]
  • Mobile: progress on geo-location testing and running mochitest suites on fennec. [harthur, ctalbert]
  • Sisyphus JS test framework: Fixed bug 443154 (do not require js tests to be on path) and bug 443156 (generalize std::bad_alloc -> out of memory post processing) [bc]

Community

  • QMO Redesign- Research on Drupal AHAH (form AJAX feature), extended QMO Bugzilla module and outlined a more flexible version [paulc]

  • Working on Intro to QA BOF for OSCON [tchung, tony, ctalbert]
  • Provided patch for bug 441991 which, in conjunction with bug 443037, will allow the Calendar team to do some better ARIA magic with Calendar once they move to Gecko 1.9.1. [marcoz]
  • Spent a lot of time testing the WebVisum extension, writing a review on it, and in general getting this very promising extension off the ground. This extension is probably going to be as important to visually impaired users as Firebug is for web developers. Also completed leak testing of this extension and found some serious leaks. [marcoz, tomcat]
  • No test day last week. We are switching to holding these every two weeks until 3.1 milestone releases.


Security


Marketing/PR

PR

Events

  • Events Triage call on Wednesday July 9th at 10 a.m. PDT. Dial-in: 650-903-0800, ext 91, pass 248.

  • Overview of OSCON activities here.

Download Day

Spread Firefox Affiliates Program


Support

  • No updates, except 0.6 live push was delayed and will happen tomorrow (Tuesday)

  • Bug triaging session for 0.7 tomorrow [1]


Metrics

  • no updates


Evangelism

  • Making sure that JavaScript, DOM, CSS, XML, SVG bugs are getting into the proper triage queues for 1.9.1.

  • collecting feedback on the MDC dekiwiki test site, via thread on dev-mdc
  • starting work on a survey related to what people find most and least useful about this very weekly meeting, to see if we can make it even more effective as a way of coordinating the project


Mozilla Labs


Webdev, Add-ons, AMO


L10n

  • Builds we are working on launching (as betas) for 3.0.x: Assamese, Bengali, Estonian, Esperanto, Galician, Hindi, Icelandic, Kannada, Kinyarwanda, Latvian, Malayalam, Marathi, Nepali, Thai

    • Shout out to all the localizers behind these builds who are working towards launch (in same order): Amitakhya, Runa, Sander, Eduardo, Suso, Rajesh, Christjian, Shankar, Stephen, Raivis, Joyce, Sandeep & Prithi, Basanta, Isriya


Foundation Updates

  • Grants and related expenditures

    • Peter Jaros completed work on his Camino scriptability project (a 2007 grant); for more information see bugs 390072 (preliminary support), 385989 (windows and tabs), and 390846 (bookmarks).

    • Frank received and is reviewing two new accessibility-related grant applications.
  • CAs and related issues

    • Frank started the first public comment period for EV-related requests from GlobalSign.
  • Conferences

    • Zak continued preparing for the FOSSCoach event at OSCON.
  • Website

    • David continued work on updating www.mozilla.org site.
  • Other

    • Gerv continued work on projects from last week, including tracking Google Summer of Code work for Mozilla-related projects, updating the public suffix list, working toward the proposed Bugzilla reorganization, review of a new proposal for site security policies, a proposal for replacing the Despot system, and various other things. David continued work on brochure project.
  • Upcoming activities

    • David, Gerv, and Zak will be attending OSCON (July 21-25 in Portland OR) and the Firefox Summit (July 29-31 in Whistler BC). Frank will be attending the Firefox Summit but not OSCON.

For more information please see the individual status reports from David, Frank, Gerv, and Zak.


Internship update

We have the following interns for today’s internship presentations:

  • Clare (Firefox)

  • Hasham (QA)
  • Juliana (Marketing)
  • Jacob P. (Web Dev)
  • Brian (Web Dev)
  • Maria (Labs)
  • Eric (Platform)


Roundtable


Other Business

Powered by WordPress