Meeting Notes

26-February-2009

Firefox 3.1 Meeting Minutes: 2009-02-25

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — bsmedberg @ 12:00 am

Firefox3.1/StatusMeetings/2009-02-25

From MozillaWiki

« previous week | index | next week »

Firefox Product Delivery Meeting Details

  • Wednesdays – Firefox 3 – 11:00am Pacific, 2:00pm Eastern, 19:00 UTC

  • Mozilla Building S
  • 650-903-0800 or 650-215-1282 x92 Conf# 8605 (US/INTL)
  • 1-800-707-2533 (pin 369) Conf# 8605 (US)
  • irc.mozilla.org #shiretoko for backchannel

NOTE: See Platform#Meeting_Notes for development meeting notes


Firefox 3.0.x


Firefox 3.1 Development

Development Update

  • full platform meeting notes available from yesterday

  • at 120 blockers without fixes for final ship, with an average find-fix rate of 20 blockers/week
  • 10 blockers left for b3
  • those blockers are being actively worked and pushed on while we wait for b3
  • Firefox team meeting together in Mountain View this week to work on opportunistic code sprints to see if we can leverage the open window of opportunity

Daily users (weekly average across versions)

  • 3.1b2 – 360k

  • Shiretoko – 10k
  • Minefield – 8k

Beta 3


Support


Localization

Up to 7 late-l10n requests, bug 479645 is new in the list.


QA


Release Engineering


Add-Ons

  • Compatibility status


Partners


Evangelism

  • Docs are in place – please tell sheppy if this is not the case or you know of things that need documentation

  • Screencast over the last week or so on some features
    • Would be good to collect these all together for final release

    • Probably on web-tech or somewhere else?
    • Thoughts from Marketing + PR?
  • Shaver mentioned improving the start page
    • Any ideas?
  • Paul has some more demos up his sleeve


Marketing/PR


Roundtable

  • Release Rapid Response Team Page for Firefox 3.0.7 is now up –> here – Tomcat

25-February-2009

SeaMonkey Meeting Minutes: 2009-02-24

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — bsmedberg @ 12:00 am

SeaMonkey:StatusMeetings:2009-02-24

From MozillaWiki

« last meeting | index

SeaMonkey Meeting Details


Agenda

  • Who’s taking minutes? -> Ratty


Action Items

(who needs to do what that hasn’t been recorded in a bug)

  • Find a volunteer to drive the Modern theme updates into the tree.

  • Make sure a bug is filed to create the UI for the mail archiving function available in the backend.
  • SeaMonkey developers will need to nominate bugs for Beta 1.
  • Create new bugzilla components: session store, Tabs and Toolbars (to match Firefox and Thunderbird).
  • The fishcam webpage needs to replace the “Get Firefox” button with a “Get SeaMonkey” button or at least add a SeaMonkey one. Assigned to KaiRo.


SeaMonkey 2 Alpha 3

Bug Queries

open blockers
all blockers
blocker requests


SeaMonkey 2 Beta 1

Bug Queries

open blockers
all blockers
blocker requests

  • This will be the next milestone, but there are no firm plans yet.

  • The target is probably about 6-8 weeks from now.


Longer-Term SeaMonkey 2 Planning

open wanted
wanted requests

Major wanted/needed features:

  • bug 381157 Download manager backend.

    • status/progress?
  • bug 472001 UI for download manager.
    • Review done as far as possible with the code only. Waiting on backend.
  • bug 36810 Session restore.
    • landed in time for 2.0a3!

    • Misak is working on followup bugs such as:
      • bug 478707 (SeaMonkey sessionstore saves, but doesn’t restore closed tabs list).
  • Toolbar customization:
    • bug 394288 (Navigator): Fixed. All dependencies fixed.

      • Someone can work on legacy bugs that depend on this e.g. optional toolbar buttons for Find in Page, Zoom and so forth.

      • TODO Polish: bug 475921 (tidy up CSS) bug 464653 (Fine Tune the toolbar context menu).
    • Toolkit bug 476814 (Unfork/Unify customizeToolbar.* and customizeToolbarSheet.*) has been checked in on trunk; and it needs to land on 1.9.1 subsequently as well. However this isn’t urgent since currently we are using a forked copy.
    • bug 413385 (MailNews): It would be preferable to have small icons for the MailNews window first. And turning customization on may break some of the more complicated and XBLfied button widgets. However I think it’s best to start on this and catch regressions early.
    • The Council will have to decide on which other windows to turn on toolbar customization. The procedure is essentially:
      • 1. Make suitable small icons.

      • 2. Turn on the customize code (just call the code already in utilityOverlay.*).
      • 3. Catch regressions.
  • bug 456757 Modern theme update
    • The next step is to file bugs/patches for each sub-module under mozapps/ in order to get reviewed. Ideally a graphically oriented person should to drive this – helpwanted.

    • If someone (who is reading this) understands our review process and can drive the existing stuff into the tree, please help us there!
  • bug 460699 Make the default theme look better on mac.
    • No progress at the moment but stefanh says he will look into this soon.
  • bug 454847 Fishcam update.
    • landed in time for 2.0a3

    • Pointing to http://www.fishcam.com/ now, which has a nice new camera up.
    • The webcam page needs to replace the “Get Firefox” button with a “Get SeaMonkey” button or at least add a SeaMonkey one.
  • bug 410613 OpenSearch.
    • helpwanted
  • bug 460953 Port jminta’s kill-rdf to SeaMonkey where applicable.
    • mcsmurf has a large patch ready for one particular area but it needs review and isn’t a priority at the moment.
  • bug 415372 Implement Feed Preview.
    • No progress since the last report.

    • bug 471346 (Port GetDefaultFeedReader to SeaMonkey shell service).
      • Need to update the patch to use the Windows API directly, not via nsIWindowsRegKey.
  • bug 460960 Port Thunderbird tabbed interface to MailNews.
    • Mnyromyr was successful in the distanglement of the UI so we can now separate tabmail from Thunderbird.
  • bug 449728 Write front-end code to handle Drag & Drop tabs between browser windows back end introduced in bug 113934.


Roundtable

Status Updates from developers – what are you working on, what’s the progress, any other comments? (feel free to add yourself to the list if your name is missing and you have interesting status).


ajschult


asrail

  • Almost no time for coding this week. See:

https://wiki.mozilla.org/SeaMonkey:StatusMeetings:2009-02-10#asrail


biesi


Callek


IanN

  • bug 471932 Do some tidy up/fixing of feed subscription and related code – fixes lots of issues with the new shared code – new patch with updated folderDeleted tests is STILL waiting for review.

  • Usual reviewing and commenting.
  • Hopefully will have time next week to do some more coding.


KaiRo

  • Away this week for being one of four representatives of Mozilla at Lift09 in Geneva.

  • As always, my blog has more detailed status about my work.


mcsmurf

  • Looked into bug 466994 (New FAYT implementation prevents entering any text in text input boxes while search is active) Collected some ideas for fixing this, implemented a patch locally, currently only works for text input boxen in the same tab; does not work for other tabs or text input in chrome.

  • bug 476988 SeaMonkey crashes just after profile selection panel display, when Sm is invoked via internet shortcut. Attached a patch to this bug, still need to request review.
  • bug 467249 Modify folderWidgets.xml to be able to XBLify the Go menu in MailNews. Got review for the patch, need to check this in. When this is checked in, quite some code in the MailNews UI can be replaced with XBL bindings.
  • Did some reviewing of installer patches.


Misak

  • Session restore landing and followup patches.

  • Bug 425480 (non-ASCII characters should be decoded in the urlbar) and followups.


Mnyromyr


MReimer


Neil


Ratty

  • Bug triage, especially concentrating on the fallout from the 182 bugs mass closed without review.

  • Keeping the Mozillazine forum readers informed with the latest SeaMonkey developments and general SeaMonkey evangelism (unfortuantely all these new features just makes them even more impatient for 2.0 final).
  • Tracking requirements for Calendar integration in both SeaMonkey and Thunderbird.


sgautherie


Standard8


stefanh


wladow


Any other business?

  • SeaMonkey now has an “OS Integration” component in Bugzilla. Should be used for bugs in the shell service (and possibly other areas of code in the future).

Thunderbird Meeting Minutes: 2009-02-24

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — bsmedberg @ 12:00 am

Thunderbird/StatusMeetings/2009-02-24

From MozillaWiki

last meeting | index | next week »

Thunderbird Meeting Details :


Agenda


Action Items


New

  • rebron: add marketing section along side q/a section


Open


Closed

  • davida to look at status meeting agenda due to the drivers meeting that follows later in the morning. — figured out, but may need tweaking based on driver feedback.


Thunderbird 3 Beta 2

  • clarkbw is release driver

  • gozer is build engineer


Thunderbird 3 Beta 3


Thunderbird 3


QA Updates

  • Testday on Build1 of TB3.0b2 participation seems low based on the numbers of bugs opened.

  • Build for OpenSuse was present – Announced on planetsuse.
  • Test run results being processed in Litmus coverage almost 100%.
  • Need to better communicate which build to use with the test- runs.
  • Issues with crash stats query – the tools is unusable – making it very difficult to report top crashers to development.
  • Would be nice to have a dummy extension that would install on any version of thunderbird.
  • Same thing would be cool for a theme (but probably less feasible).


Roundtable


Status Updates


davida
  • worked on header theme bugs (fun!)

  • working on bug 454829
  • thinking about poptarts
  • random non-Tb stuff.


dmose
  • drove JS-in-mail patches into the tree

  • finished localizedRe tests
  • calendar discussions
  • lots of tb3 bug triage
  • drafted tb3 driving plan (User_talk:Dmose:Tb3_Driving_Scratchpad)
  • various reviews
  • talked to humph about bringing up comm-central instance of dxr


nth10sd
  • bug 479206 – Successfully found regression window.

    • Crash [@ construct_addresslist] when entering an invalid email address
  • bug 475257 – tried to reproduce.
    • Thunderbird discards offline messages (including changes not yet synced) and re-downloads
  • bug 479756 – Successfully completed.
    • Create a dummy extension with a very high maxVersion

Personas now on Thunderbird – by yaoquan (yq on IRC) – student from NUS


Standard8

Now starting to ramp up on work again.

  • Reviews

  • bug 479705 and others – fixed slow script warnings on bloat tests (to match FF).
  • bug 479206 Crash [@ construct_addresslist] when entering an invalid email address.
  • bug 479844 Consolidate checking for messages to send later into one function.
  • Starting to look at writing send in background policy code for bug 440794

Two week goals:

  • Reduce review backlog to zero

  • bug 450134 – Autocomplete perf improvement (inc restore autocomplete on other email addresses).
  • bug 440794 – Implement policy for sending in background, pref off to begin with.
  • bug 457296 – Design interfaces for a separate service (i.e. not directly linked to address book) to determine allowing remote images to load or not.


asuth


bienvenu
  • Reviews and driving

  • Fixed handling of default archive folder for deferred pop3 accounts, bug 476218
  • Fixed undo of move/delete/archive of pop3 msgs, date was set to 0 bug 479163
  • make nsIMsgDBView more scriptable bug 479283
  • bug 472988 – thread pane loses saved search’s folder location column when switching tabs
  • Fixed regression in pre-populating imap/pop3 password dialogs with previously sent password, bug 121647
  • Fixed IMAP hang w/ thread contention when trying to close connections, bug 476960
  • Started getting back into auto config code
  • Looked at app idle patch for autosync

Next week

  • Come up with a plan for auto config, file bugs, and start executing.

  • Triage b3 blockers and add status whiteboard entry for UI bugs.
  • Get patch for using STATUS for autosync into reviewable state


gozer
  • Build

    • Thunderbird 3 Beta 2

      • Build1 & Build2 completed
    • Crash-stats now understands comm-central bug 452866
    • Buildbot instability battle continues bug 476677 and bug 476649
  • Web

    • Kinkora merged to trunk

    • AUS trunk Server seeing good uptake (40 different IPs have downloaded partial MARs so far), no bugs reported.
  • Infrastructure

    • More RAM in our XServe!

    • Faster OS X Builders
    • Working on OS X 10.5 refplatform/builder
  • Sick… Bleh…


clarkbw
  • driving work

  • design notes on bug 45715 about reply list button
  • ui-review for various theme bugs


wsmwk


beckley


Penelope
  • Working on attachment splitting, and have it working as a default action when double-clicking on attachments


KaiRo


philipp / Calendar


rkent


rebron
  • Website on target for launch on Thursday w/ Tb 3 beta 2. Pages and new work are now being done on trunk.


Tsk
  • prepared Test runs and test day

  • Walked through all open Thunderbird/security bugs
  • Got some publicity with OpenSuse builds – no visible effect :-(
  • Will probably attend MozCamp/Utrecht
  • Two week goals :

    • get a better grip at litmus

    • Try to communicate more effectively
    • explain what and why QA is important – to try to get w few more people onboard
    • Plan tb3.0b3 testing


Attendees

Mozilla Platform Meeting Minutes: 2009-02-24

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — bsmedberg @ 12:00 am

Platform/2009-02-24

From MozillaWiki

« previous week | index | next week »


Notices / Schedule

Firefox 3.0.7

  • Beta tomorrow

  • On-track for release next Wednesday

Firefox 3.0.8

  • Code freeze March 17

Thunderbird 2.0.0.21

  • Code freeze for Gecko 1.8.1.21 this Friday (just a few blockers left)

Firefox 3.1 Beta 3

  • Important Dates:

    • Code freeze was missed on January 25th, 11:59pm PST

    • QA Start on ??, 9:00am PST
    • Release on ??, noon PST


Blocker Report

Since 1.9.1 branch …

Past 2 weeks …

[ Platform Blocker Queries | Front End Blocker Queries ]


Firefox 3.1 Update

  • Polish update: Firefox is 38% shiny (0% over last week, fixed and added both increased)


GFX 1.9.1 Update

  • Bug status:

    • 4 blocking 1.9.1+

    • 2 bug fix followups to imglib changes, both with patches
    • 1 libpng upgrade (with patch)
    • 1 Security
    • 0 nom
  • Focus:
    • Finishing remaining blockers

    • Continuing performance work on desktop and mobile
    • Cairo upgrade (lots of new stuff, we’re behind)
    • Font work, including getting CoreText in


Layout 1.9.1 Update

  • Layout

    • 5 blockers

    • Current work: multiple backgrounds (dbaron), frame constructor (bzbarsky), Cleartype ink issues (jkew), CSS gradients (ventnor)
    • Phantom popup command firing fixed (hopefully)
  • SVG
    • 2 blockers
  • Video/Audio
    • 12 blockers

    • Major items remaining: A/V sync (doublec), block cache (roc), new load algorithm (cpearce), other spec updates, codec code audit issues
  • 7 untriaged noms
  • TSF landed, will be enabled soon


Content 1.9.1 Update

  • 23 blockers

    • Two P1 blockers, bug 479143 and bug 479490, JS timeout related crash regressions. bent and smaug are finalizing this.

    • There are 12 bugs that need landing (including the P1s). They’ve got all the needed reviews, and most if not all are ready to go. — Not sure if this is good or bad, will go through and make sure we’re going ahead and landing and closing bugs that are actually fixed.
    • Smaug has a patch up for event suppression during sync XHR loads (bug 333198), waiting for review from bz and jst
    • There’s two networking bugs that will need biesi review. He’s been pinged more than once, so may need to look for alternatives here.
    • 7 blocker bugs without patch.


JS 1.9.1


Mobile 1.9.1 Update


General 1.9.1 Updates


Security


Security Reviews

Still outstanding / to be scheduled

  • native JSON

  • DNS prefetching

Booked but not yet completed


Roundtable

Greener tinderbox

  • clint to set up 3 machines (one for each platform) and run it for a week to log random-oranges; clint will also compare VM to native to see if there are problems caused by that

    • clint to file bugs to get machines set up

    • clint to talk to alice about her experience

Getting crash stacks from unit tests

  • ted checked in breakpad clients into the tree and has build system uploading symbols to the ftp servers

  • sayrer is going to make a python hook in the event of the crash

Move from VS8 -> VS9? (joduinn)

  • New requirement from mobile for VS9

  • Can we move mozilla-central/mozilla1.9.1/tracemonkey to use VS9 also? Code dependencies? Schedule?
    • may will need to recreate the jemalloc code patches, see bug 416117 (vlad)

    • please do not switch compilers on the active 3.0.x branch (dveditz)
    • should run performance numbers to see if things change (dbaron)
    • see if we can figure out how to make the slave pick the compiler based on the source tree

24-February-2009

Mozilla Project Meeting Minutes: 2009-02-23

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — bsmedberg @ 12:00 am

WeeklyUpdates/2009-02-23

From MozillaWiki

« previous week | index | next week »

Meeting Details

  • 1:00pm Pacific time (21:00 UTC until March 8, 2009)

  • Mozilla HQ, 1st floor conference table
  • +1 650 903 0800 x92 Conf# 8600 (US/International)
  • +1 416 848 3114 x92 Conf# 8600 (Canada)
  • +1 800 707 2533 (pin 369) Conf# 8600 (US Toll Free)
  • sip:weeklystatus@mozilla.com from generic SIP clients
  • http://air.mozilla.com/ to watch and listen
  • join irc.mozilla.org #staffmeeting for backchannel

note: all participants are muted automatically; if you want to talk, press *1 to un-mute yourself

WeeklyUpdate Live: You can watch the weekly meetings live at Air Mozilla


Friends of the Tree

Please send FotT nominations to asa@mozilla.org. This is a great opportunity for the community to recognize those who go above and beyond, so please tell me when you see that happening. Thanks.


Development Updates


Branch work: Firefox 3.0.x / Thunderbird 2.0.0.x

  • Firefox 3.0.7

    • Beta this Wednesday afternoon

    • Release next Wednesday at 3pm if all goes well
  • Firefox 3.0.8
    • Code freeze is March 17 at 11:59pm

    • Release in mid-April
  • Thunderbird 2.0.0.21
    • Code freeze this Friday

    • Fixes in sync with Firefox 3.0.7
    • Aiming to release in mid-March


Gecko 1.9.1


Firefox 3.1

  • Front-end blockers looking good: only ~20 blockers without patches remaining, only two of which are complicated

  • Polish bugs are continuing to get fixed; would love more help and community contributions on them
  • Moving into early planning and scoping for next version this week, should have something to report next week on that. Initial steps will be looking for wins on performance and code cleanup, as well as feature work that dropped out of Firefox 3.1
  • Beta 3 is getting close, update at tomorrow’s development meeting


TB 3

  • 3.0b2

    • Code frozen

    • Tomorrow’s build will be the first release candidate for 3.0b2
    • comm-central is open for 3.0b3 checkins
    • More details about 3.0b3 plan available shortly


Mobile

  • Code freeze for Maemo (n810) beta 1 is Tuesday @ 11:59PM PST

    • 11 blockers, most with patches and in review

    • (this is not a Windows Mobile release!)

[Weekly Meeting]


IT

  • Very busy getting Mozilla’s second San Jose data center cage built out

  • Kernel upgrades last week & this week
  • Moved AMO behind ACE/Zeus two weeks ago, working really well


Release Engineering

  • Last week’s Design Lunch.

    • followup discussions in mozilla.dev.tree-management

    • will be another in a few weeks time.
  • RelEng HelpDesk
    • additional help to, not replacement for, the existing Developer Sheriff Duty in #developers


QA

Test Execution

  • Firefox 3.0.7 testing in progress: ETA beta this wednesday

  • Community Banks/Financial Institution testing project. Still looking for volunteers to sign up and test sites against Firefox 3.1 nightlies
  • Hosted our first QA community meetup in MV last wednesday (Thanks Marcia!)
  • Redesign project of litmus tool and the current Fx3.1 testcases in the repository
  • Aakash and I (stephend) have been making good testing progress on the Spread Firefox redesign

Test Development

  • Landed many fixes for Sisyphus and Javascript tests

  • Planning to release SpiderMonkey 1.8.0 this week – bug 428420
  • Tomcat will be at CeBIT next week
  • Changed QA Companion to use native JSON for a huge performance improvement (about 50% perf improvement judging from stop-watching it – Thanks Heather!)
  • Integrated XPCShell into Maemkit TUnit test suite for maemo mobile.
  • Beginning investigations into the “Random Orange” problem.


Security

  • Welcome: Sid Stamm

  • Investigating possible mitigations to recent domain spoofing exploits (i.e. wildcard certificate attacks with i18n hostnames)
  • Working on the Origin proposal to mitigate CSRF as well as clickjacking attacks, and address shortcomings in request authentication in general
  • Refining clickjacking definition to focus on which issues could be mitigated and which are out of scope


Marketing/PR

General

  • Community Marketing Guide: It’s coming to a computer near you on Wednesday, Feb. 25th. It’s a comphrensive resource guide on marketing for Mozilla. Please provide feedback!
  • Next Community Marketing call is this Wednesday, Feb. 25th, at 10am PST / 6pm UTC. Dial-in Info: +1.650.903.0800, followed by 92# and then 7391#. Or you can use our toll-free number: +1.800.707.2533, followed by 369# and then 7391#. For those that can’t make the call or want to participate online, join us in #marketing on irc.mozilla.org. Agenda will be posted late today.

PR

Events

  • SCALE, Los Angeles, Feb. 20 – 22: Chris Blizzard gave a talk. Slides here

  • BarCamp Miami, Miami, Feb. 21: Rey Bango gave an add-ons talk.
  • Future of Web Apps, Miami, Feb. 23 – 24: Ben Galbraith and Dion Almaer are speaking on “What is the future of the browser” and Aza Raskin is giving a talk entitled “Order from Chaos: Future of the Web.” Schedule here.


Support

  • Mockup of new SUMO Localization Dashboard. Goal is:

    • To provide a clear overview and status of the l10n work on SUMO

    • To make the l10n work on SUMO feel less daunting by making it obvious where to start
    • To answer the question: “which article is the most important to translate next?”
    • To establish a baseline of what we define as a healthy status of a locale, so we can make sure we provide help where it’s needed the most.
  • Working on some SUMO start page optimizations to ensure that more users are getting the help they need.


Metrics


Evangelism

  • Chris spoke at SCALE giving an overview of Firefox 3.1. It’s a decent presentation that goes over all the new stuff in 3.1 and might be good fodder for other people to steal. Slides are here. People loved Paul’s demo.


Labs

  • Labs Night this Thursday, 6-9pm in bldg. K. We are excited to welcome Edwin Khodabakchian, developer of Feedly, a Firefox extension which weaves twitter and Google Reader into a magazine like experience.

  • Weave status update
    • First hardware cluster for 0.3 is live and transitioned to IT

    • Client update: preliminary tabs UI for Fennec, other fixes. 4th milestone this wednesday.
    • Ed Lee (Mardak) joins the Weave team!
  • Ubiquity release 0.1.6 with make-command
  • Bespin released


Developer Tools


Add-ons

  • 5.0.2 release last week: Fixed bugs

    • Updated developer dashboards

    • Extension permalinks (now developers can link directly to the latest version of an add-on)
    • Enhanced anonymized stats tracking of logged-in vs logged-out users
  • Compatibility update

    • 79% of add-ons compatible with Fx3.1

    • Email to developers went out a little over a week ago, response has been positive but many are waiting for b3 before putting significant work into compatibility
  • AMO Mascot/Logo by Sean Martell


Webdev

  • AMO 5.0.2 released last week

  • SUMO 0.9 will go out this week
  • Active work on the Prior Art project continues between the webdev and legal teams.


L10n

  • A bunch more new language reviews for Firefox 3.1 thanks to Gandalf

  • Working to finish our Q1 goals
    • Implement findings from last quarter’s testing survey

    • Get an implementation of Silme
  • Seth needs to pass specific updates on travels with community to the l10n-drivers


Foundation Updates


Roundtable

  • welcome (back) to Paul O’Shannessy, the newest member of the Firefox front end team. Paul worked with us last summer as an intern, and we’re glad to have him back full time. You can find him on IRC as zpao. He’ll be working out of the Mountain View office.

  • also, Sam Sidler has joined the Firefox team as “Launch Co-Ordinator”, which better reflect the focus of his recent work, co-ordinating and organizing our stable branch releases.


Other Business

19-February-2009

Firefox 3.1 Meeting Minutes: 2009-02-18

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — bsmedberg @ 12:00 am

Firefox3.1/StatusMeetings/2009-02-18

From MozillaWiki

« previous week | index | next week »

Firefox Product Delivery Meeting Details

  • Wednesdays – Firefox 3 – 11:00am Pacific, 2:00pm Eastern, 19:00 UTC

  • Mozilla Building S
  • 650-903-0800 or 650-215-1282 x92 Conf# 8605 (US/INTL)
  • 1-800-707-2533 (pin 369) Conf# 8605 (US)
  • irc.mozilla.org #shiretoko for backchannel

NOTE: See Platform#Meeting_Notes for development meeting notes


Firefox 3.0.x

  • Firefox 3.0.7

    • Need to re-spin tomorrow to pick up another security fix

    • This pushes the release a couple of days at least
    • Will know more on final and beta release days as QA tests
  • Firefox 3.0.8
    • Aiming for mid-April release


Firefox 3.1 Development

Development Update

Daily users (weekly average across versions)

  • 3.1b2 – 360k

  • Shiretoko – 10k
  • Minefield – 8k

Beta 3


Support

  • Support 3.1 numbers: 19 threads out of 2034 (0.9%)

    • AVG-caused breaking enter button in location bar is still top issue.
  • .NET in useragent also affects third party extension sites which can serve the wrong extension version or say not compatible: i.e. Google toolbar.
  • What could cause dictionaries to disappear? Some users have trouble with spell checker that installing a dictionary fixes.
    • Axel wonders if this is a 3.0.x installed over 2.x deal due to the change from myspell -> hunspell in 3.0

    • we need someone from QA to ensure that an install-over (not upgrade) from 2.0.0.11 -> 3.0.0x


Localization


QA

  • Financial Institution page is up. Please signup to test on Firefox 3.1 nightlies! (Drop a mail to hskupin@mozilla.com for now)

    • Tip: If websites are not rendering or loading correctly on the nightlies, be sure to follow these steps first before reporting a bug.

    • Q: We are starting to see websites that are not supported on beta 2. What’s the best way to report this list and to who?
  • Firefox 3.1 Feature testing progress:
    • Testplans (93% completed)

    • Testcases (91% completed)
  • 32 1.9.1 bugs verified last week
  • Beta 3 testplan pending builds
  • Fx3.0.7 -> 3.1b3 MU Trial Run testplan pending builds


Release Engineering

  • No news.


Add-Ons

  • Fx 3.1 compatibility email sent last week to top 500 developers not yet on 3.1.

  • Expanding editorial team
  • Conduit


Partners

  • As a follow-up to last week’s discussion on AVG bug 475653, we’ve been talking with the dev group who has prepped a fix and will be shipping shortly. Version 8.0 and below of SafeSearch will be nominated for blocklisting in 3.1.


Evangelism


Marketing/PR


Roundtable

18-February-2009

Thunderbird Meeting Minutes: 2009-02-17

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — bsmedberg @ 12:00 am

Thunderbird/StatusMeetings/2009-02-17

From MozillaWiki

last meeting | index | next week »

Thunderbird Meeting Details :


Agenda


Action Items


New


Open

  • davida to look at status meeting agenda due to the drivers meeting that follows later in the morning.


Closed


Thunderbird 3 Beta 2

  • clarkbw is release driver

  • gozer is build engineer
  • Targeted Slushy Code Freeze (2)
    • dmose: bug 319037 — Provide default value for mailnews.localizedRe

    • asuth: bug 470329 — gloda indexer throttling logic needs to be adaptive
      • waiting on dmose’s review queue

      • arguably not really a blocker
  • Targeted Frozen Code Freeze (2)
    • Standard8: bug 466527 — Setting the mail start page to non-redirects…

    • dmose: bug 374577 — Revise message CAPS policies…
      • basically done, waiting for tricky review
  • Unknown Targets (4)
    • clarkbw: bug 456829 — messagereader: honor font & color

    • davida: bug 257942 — (activitymgr) activity manager tracker
    • Standard8: bug 476700 — Activity Manager: Enable UI
      • Could land this today
    • Standard8: bug 121647 — POP/IMAP server passwords
  • Release Targets (2)
    • rebron: bug 477110 — What’s New page for 3.0 Beta 2

    • clarkbw: bug 477103 — tracking bug for build and release of Beta 2
  • Firm code/string freeze: Tuesday 17th February 23:59 PST TODAY
  • l10n-mozilla-1.9.1 freeze: Thursday 19th February 23:59 PST
  • Testday: Friday 20th February


Thunderbird 3


QA Updates

  • We held a bugday last thursday, results were lower than the week before.

  • We are holding a Test day this friday.
  • Hope some UI for the activity manager shows up by then.
  • Too many FIXED bugs have in-testsuite? flag – no change since 2009-01-13
  • Litmus needs cleaning up
    • Maybe plan some sort of Litmus test day ?
  • Possible TB Beta 2 will be included in YaST for OpenSuse users.
  • Look into what it would take to move Litmus Tests into MozMill tests


Roundtable


Status Updates


davida
  • activity mgr bugs

  • driving
  • getting windows vm happy again
  • started biking to work again
  • could we ship 3.0 against gecko trunk (or beta/nightly) and run a minor TB
 release once they release (javascript noted as a potential risk there)


dmose
  • js in mail hacking

  • localizedRe test writing
  • reviews
  • driving
  • strategy work


nth10sd
  • IMAP hang patch testing in bug 476960 with bienvenu.

  • Collaborating with gozer in bug 475972 – script to auto-get weekly fixed buglists.
  • Guided a new Thunderbird student developer to getting his first TB accessibility patch in bug 449560 – now waiting for dmose review.
  • Some word on JS front – testing new heavyweight JS function patch in bug 452498 by Brendan Eich, this JIT improvement should make it to Firefox 3.1 Beta 3, and eventually into Thunderbird.
  • QA stuff, bugdays, etc.


Standard8

Non-goal activities:

  • Attended a birth

  • Reviews
  • Pottered about on a few bugs
    • bug 478571 Js warning fix related to move/copy in activity manager

Two week goals (start of week 2):

  • Recover and get used to having 2 children.

  • Implement send in background bug 440794
    • Delayed to beta 3, but will think about it after recovering.
  • Fix up the What’s New page loading so that it can load css properly bug 466527
    • Proposed a fix, needs review/comment from dmose.


asuth


bienvenu
  • Reviews and Driving

  • Helped with some activity manager and autosync patches
  • Fixed bug 461052 don’t let msg hdr buttons keep focus after applying command
  • Fixed problem parsing v-card, bug 473924
  • Landed fix for handling of imap folders with non-alphanumeric chars like # in name, bug 115091
  • Fixed bug 465939, mark folder read not clearing indications on collapsed threads
  • Fixed bug 478113, getcellvalue leaks strings.
  • Next week

    • Finish work on changing IMAP autosync to use STATUS to figure out if a folder has new messages instead of SELECT and full header+flag sync.

    • Deal with whatever b2 blockers arise.
    • Implement SelectMsgsFromHdrs function for davida.
    • Time permitting, pick up autoconfig work again.


gozer
  • Build

    • We have pooled builders on Linux

      • Linux non-unittest builders are in a pool
    • Landed jemalloc work by Standard8 bug 427627
    • Landed the big chunk of bug 452866 – Teach Socorro/crash-stats about comm-central
      • Coming to mozilla-1.9.1 after some baking

      • Will give us much nicer source links in crash reports
    • Buildbot still having too many slave dropouts
      • new error condition of the week: SlaveBuilder._ackFailed: SlaveBuilder.sendUpdate
  • Infrastructure

    • YVR office still has Internet connectivity issues [ISP says mid-month resolution, looks much better now]

    • YVR phones should send/recieve sound waves
    • AUS server is up and live bug 477275
      • Linux/Win32 trunk only

      • Automated process, still manually invoked
      • complete and partial updates (going 7 days back)
      • SSL
      • Landed for nightly trunk builds last night bug 478769
    • Recent irc conversation sparked interest in running our own crash-stats
  server. Will investigate running a test installation to start with.


clarkbw
  • driving

  • mac and linux theme updates
  • attempting to blog again


wsmwk
  • crash-stats issues

  • advising ludo
  • triage more threading, crash and profile bugs
  • close ~35 bugs
  • comment on closemes


beckley


Penelope


KaiRo


philipp / Calendar


rkent


rebron
  • Website work, still on target to launch next week. Kinkora branch to merge on to the trunk on Friday.

  • pr/marketing Beta 2 work.


Tsk
  • Got access to security-core bugs

  • Had proper access to Litmus report emails
  • Had a look at litmus – still need more investigation
  • Looking into QMO.


Attendees

Mozilla Platform Meeting Minutes: 2009-02-17

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — bsmedberg @ 12:00 am

Platform/2009-02-17

From MozillaWiki

« previous week | index | next week »


Notices / Schedule

Firefox 3.0.7

  • Builds being made

Firefox 3.0.8

  • Schedule on the wiki

  • Code freeze March 17
  • Queries to blockers on the wiki; emails coming shortly

Firefox 3.1 Beta 3

  • Important Dates:

    • Code freeze was missed on January 25th, 11:59pm PST

    • QA Start on ??, 9:00am PST
    • Release on ??, noon PST


Blocker Report

Since 1.9.1 branch …

Past 2 weeks …

[ Platform Blocker Queries | Front End Blocker Queries ]


Firefox 3.1 Update

  • Polish update: Firefox is 38% shiny (+5% over last week)

    • (faaborg is OOTO this week, someone else should read this on the call)

    • Thanks go to: mstange, highmind63, and Dao
    • 49 remaining easy polish bugs (whiteboard [polish-easy])
    • 32 remaining hard polish bugs(whiteboard [polish-hard])


GFX 1.9.1 Update

  • 2 blocking 1.9.1+

  • 1 P1 – ebay image issue; patch bounced due to weird crash, relanding today.
  • 2 P2, one with fix going in soon, one with final patch going up today, hopefully landing today
  • 2 nom
    • both need to be reproduced/confirmed better than what’s there now, keeping on list until we can do that


Layout 1.9.1 Update

  • No P1s

  • Layout
    • 5 blockers

      • 2 need landing

      • 1 needs review
      • 2 without patches.
  • SVG
    • 2 blockers
  • Video/Audio
    • 15 blockers

    • Should bump most of these to ‘wanted’ to reflect reality
  • 9 untriaged noms


Content 1.9.1 Update

  • 25 blockers, going up!

    • Looks like there are several bugs that need landing. They look like they’ve all the needed reviews, but not sure what state they are in. Not sure if this is good or bad, but someone should go through and make sure we’re going ahead and landing and closing bugs that are actually fixed.

    • Looks like there’s a few networking bugs that will need biesi review. Is he responsive?
    • 8 Without patch.
    • 1 Has a patch, but looks to need modifying to land on trunk.
    • 13 need review.
    • 5 need landing.
  • Worked with Andreas and Igor on watchdog thread issues.


JS 1.9.1

  • 53 blockers

    • 11 P1s

    • 35 P2s
    • 5 P3-5s
    • 2 unprioritized
  • 4 untriaged nominations
  • mostly where we are last week, though we closed a few bugs last week
  • need to merge, which will fix 6/12 of our remaining bugs
  • bug 452498 – upvar, remains tricky, being worked


Mobile 1.9.1 Update


General 1.9.1 Updates


Security


Security Reviews

Still outstanding / to be scheduled

  • native JSON

  • DNS prefetching

Booked but not yet completed


Roundtable

Greener tinderbox

  • clint to set up 3 machines (one for each platform) and run it for a week to log random-oranges; clint will also compare VM to native to see if there are problems caused by that

    • clint to file bugs to get machines set up

    • clint to talk to alice about her experience

Getting crash stacks from unit tests

  • ted checked in breakpad clients into the tree and has build system uploading symbols to the ftp servers

  • sayrer is going to make a python hook in the event of the crash

Move from VS8 -> VS9? (joduinn)

  • New requirement from mobile for VS9

  • Can we move mozilla-central/mozilla1.9.1/tracemonkey to use VS9 also? Code dependencies? Schedule?
    • may will need to recreate the jemalloc code patches, see bug 416117 (vlad)

    • please do not switch compilers on the active 3.0.x branch (dveditz)
    • should run performance numbers to see if things change (dbaron)
    • see if we can figure out how to make the slave pick the compiler based on the source tree

17-February-2009

Places Meeting Minutes: 2009-02-16

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — bsmedberg @ 12:00 am

Places/Status Meetings/2009-02-16

From MozillaWiki

« previous week | index | next week »

Places Team Meeting Details

  • Mondays at 9:00am Pacific

  • irc.mozilla.org #places


Work Priorities

Image:Places-Triage-Chart-Feb-16-2009.png


QA Issues

From last week, the following things had open action items:

  • tracy has sent out an e-mail today to highlight what needs to be tested to have full coverage for Library moving. ddhal is going to work on those tests.

  • Some user is reporting issues with AVG Safe Search and the awesomebar, we should verify if the issue effectively exists and if AVG should be contacted. See bug 475653 and bug 376084. tracy will investigate and report back.


Status updates

From last week, the following things had open action items:

  • Bugs with dev-doc-needed

    • mak77 will go through his bugs and fix missing docs (complete)
  • need documentation on how to write SQL queries against the places back-end, for core developers.

    • Invariants and triggers (sdwilsh)

    • Check over existing documentation for outdated information (sdwilsh)


Roundtable

  • Out of date docs on MDC:

12-February-2009

Firefox 3.1 Meeting Minutes: 2009-02-11

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — bsmedberg @ 12:00 am

Firefox3.1/StatusMeetings/2009-02-11

From MozillaWiki

« previous week | index | next week »

Firefox Product Delivery Meeting Details

  • Wednesdays – Firefox 3 – 11:00am Pacific, 2:00pm Eastern, 18:00 UTC

  • Mozilla Building S
  • 650-903-0800 or 650-215-1282 x92 Conf# 8605 (US/INTL)
  • 1-800-707-2533 (pin 369) Conf# 8605 (US)
  • irc.mozilla.org #shiretoko for backchannel

NOTE: See Platform#Meeting_Notes for development meeting notes


Firefox 3.0.x

(Quietly…)


Firefox 3.1 Development

Development Update

Daily users (weekly average across versions)

  • 3.1b2 – 380k

  • Shiretoko – 12k
  • Minefield – 8k

Beta 3


Support

  • Top 3.1 issue is bug 475653 (Enter key doesn’t work in address bar, AVG Safe search 8.0.2333). How do we get evangelism on this?

  • 3.1b2 numbers up (17 users -> 22 users out of about 2000 users total)


Localization

  • Mongolian landed during FOSDEM

  • l10n-drivers started to talk about bottlenecks in current tasks and processes, initial ballpark could be 80
  • Talked about potential collaborations between Silme and other FOSS l10n infrastructure tools at FOSDEM


QA

  • Financial Institution page is up. Please signup to test on Firefox 3.1 nightlies!

    • Public site (Anonymous – please don’t add name here)

      • Tip: If websites are not rendering or loading correctly on the nightlies, be sure to follow these steps first before reporting a bug.
  • Firefox 3.0.6 -> 3.1b3 Trial Run awaiting b3 builds first
  • Firefox 3.1 Feature testing progress:
    • Testplans (93% completed)

    • Testcases (85% completed)
  • 29 1.9.1 bugs verified last week
  • New OS support
    • Windows 7 beta VM is available for testing

    • Now have a copy of Snow Leopard (OSX 10.6), in the lab
  • Fx3.1 nightly Testweek (in progress)


Release Engineering

Nothing from us this week.


Add-Ons


Partners


Evangelism

  • Tons of new Firefox 3.1 documentation over the last week; only one major article left to write (on selectors). Everything else is relatively minor updates to existing documentation.


Marketing/PR

  • 3.1 PR plan awaiting feedback

  • 3.1 Reviewers Guide updates awaiting feedback
  • 3.1 Features page near final; one more review post webdev hand-off; speed chart from TRO still needs another rev;
  • “what’s new” video – tentatively scheduled to be recorded 2/27
  • planning to do a beta-3 start page snippet 2-3 days post-release (unless anyone objects)


Roundtable

  • justin agreed to follow up with morgamic to ensure that we could throttle Major Update snippets on a per version / channel basis (to allow users to “Check for Updates…” to Firefox 3.1 on launch day, but not have the offer given to users who do not explicitly check) <– This is bug 475145. Should that be marked blocking-firefox3.1+?

Older Posts »

Powered by WordPress