Meeting Notes

29-February-2012

Thunderbird Meeting Minutes: 2012-02-28

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 12:00 am

Thunderbird/StatusMeetings/2012-02-28

last meeting | index | next meeting »

Thunderbird Meeting Details :

Thunderbird 11
  • Few more tabs-on-top fixes

  • Another beta coming this week
Thunderbird 12
Thunderbird 13
Thunderbird 3.1.x & ESR
  • We now have tracking flags, more info and bug tracking links coming soon.

Extension of the week

  • None

QA Updates

  • Releases

  • following up on bugmail

Marketing Updates

  • Some pages updated for enterprise.

  • Revised Facebook pages into one.

Infrastructure Update

Build / Release Update

  • Focusing on Bug 730325 – Integrate Thunderbird build config with Firefox build config

  • gozer training rail on release this week
  • Beta build this week

Web Update

  • completed AOL support in account provisioner, except for a blocking issue with oauth, waiting on AOL to resolve

    • AOL results removed from account provisioner for now

Documentation

Support

  • Thunderbird 11 support day March 14th.

(If you support Thunderbird or write or translate documentation to help support Thunderbird, please subscribe to the tb-support-crew mailing list and briefly introduce yourself to the list

  1. 1180 new support topics (855 one week ago with the stats bug with 1 day missing again this week) – Media:GetSatisfaction-Thunderbird-Stats-20-26Feb2012-2012-02-27_1002.png – stats missing for 1 day again this week!

  2. Thunderbird 10 Support Issues – Please edit and add any issues or bugs found in TB10 and tag them tb10
  3. See this week’s Support Appendix for full Get Satisfaction metrics and other support details

Lightning Updates

  • Still working on libical javascript implementation.

Status Updates

See the Mozilla Status Board for status updates specific to developers.

Roundtable Highlights

Attendees

Mozilla Platform Meeting Minutes: 2012-02-28

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 12:00 am

Platform/2012-02-28

« previous week | index | next week »

Platform Meeting Details

  • Tuesdays – 11:00 am Pacific

  • Dial-in: conference# 95312
    • US/International: +1 650 903 0800 x92 Conf# 95312

    • US toll free: +1 800 707 2533 (pin 369) Conf# 95312
    • Canada: +1 416 848 3114 x92 Conf# 95312
  • Warp Core Vidyo Room
  • join irc.mozilla.org #planning for back channel

Contents

Notices / Schedule

  • We are here in the schedule
  • Beta 5 will go-to-build this evening PT (2/28). Please nominate/land any applicable bugs asap. If you have a bug currently nominated for mozilla-beta approval, please make sure to be available after today’s 2-3PM PT channel meeting to land approved bugs once we complete our discussions. Alternatively ping akeybl in IRC to expedite the process.

  • Code freeze for FF11 is this Friday (3/2).
  • Final sign-off for FF11 will be scheduled for next Wednesday (3/7). Details to be announced on dev-planning
  • Please see our Channels Triage queries to find tracked bugs for each release. Please let release-mgmt (@mozilla.com) know if any of these bugs no longer need to be tracked or need support from QA or the crash-kill team (for Socorro/crash-stats data).

Firefox Development

  • Marco Bonardo landed the livemarks re-write – this was a big chunk of work which has plenty of benefits, including no more synchronous IO, and less entanglement with the rest of places (bug 613588)

  • Paolo Amadini has flipped the default value of the “load tabs on demand” pref, which should help with responsiveness during session restores and memory use for large profiles (bug 711193)
  • Frank Yan’s about:home revision that I mentioned a couple of weeks ago is very close to landing, just need to sort out coordination issues with the server-side snippets service (bug 711157)
  • Silent update: Brian landed the remaining patches for the UAC dialog work.

Firefox Developer Tools

Add-on SDK

Performance

  • Snappy weekly summary

  • Livemarks are now async thanks to Marco (bug 613588)
  • There was an increase in negative feedback regarding Firefox 11 beta relative to Firefox 10 beta on SUMO. Cheng and Taras are investigating.
  • Olli and Jan cooked up about:ccdump addon for assist with finding leaks. See Jan’s blog post for more details.
  • Bill landed incremental GC this week, bug 719492. Most users will not benefit from incremental GC until Bill finishes up handling frequent “corner cases” that end up disabling incremental GC.
  • Avi ported his smoothscroll logic to C++, Jared pushed it to the UX branch (bug 206438. If you are interested in fluid scrolling, give it a try, play with acceleration prefs to help us find optimal values.

GFX

  • Fennec “maple” builds are getting usable, and we could probably use more technical eyes on them.

    • http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/mobile/nightly/latest-maple-android/

    • This is “off-main-thread-compositing”, or OMTC.
    • Probably not ready for every-day use, but already much more usable on anything with an Adreno GPU (Nexus One, HTC Desire HD, etc).
    • Known issues: Some jankiness, some WebGL issues (i.e. upside-down on some devices), some checkerboarding issues.
    • File whatever bugs you find in Core :: Graphics, and put “MAPLE” in the whiteboard.
    • Note: This testing is only needed on Android devices; desktop should be unaffected by these changes.

JS

Layout

Notable Patches:

  • bug 726582 – Prevent nsSMILCSSProperty::ValueFromString from reading uninitialized out-param

  • bug 614732 – For SVG leaf frames, use mRect to store the frame’s user space bounds, and stop using it to store its covered region
  • bug 725903 – PathExtentsToMaxStrokeExtents needs to take a transform argument.
  • bug 725897 – Remove the inaccurate nsSVGUtils::ToAppPixelRect, and use nsLayoutUtils::RoundGfxRectToAppRect instead.
  • bug 707959 – followup, move font cache telemetry into gfxFontCache::Lookup.
  • bug 725376 – Don’t do column balancing deeper than 5 nested levels to avoid hang.
  • bug 718516 – Replace call of FinishReflowWithAbsoluteFrames() with FinishAndStoreOverflow() for nsColumnSetFrame to prevent crash.
  • bug 718516 – Remove call to FinishReflowWithAbsoluteFrames until nsColumnSetFrame is fully implemented as an absolute container.
  • bug 724776 – Change SetForcedCharset to BrowserSetForcedCharacterSet.

Video

DOM

WebAPI

  • Updated WebAPI wiki page to contain status for all APIs we’re currently working on.

  • New API drafts for Device Storage, Wifi Information, Mobile Network information, Idle, Sensor and Settings APIs.
  • Philikon has initial implementation of Mobile Network Information API.

Network

Identity

Plugins

Mobile

Accessibility

Tree Management

  • Dongles installed on all OSX 10.7 test slaves – test results and wait times should be better now

Security

Security Reviews & Threat Modeling Sessions Scheduled for this week

Date / Time Item
Mon Feb 27 / 13:00 PST Threat Model: Metlog
Wed Feb 29 / 13:00 PST Threat Model: Token Server
THU Mar 1 / 10:00 PST SecReview: WebSMS, bug 674725
Fri Mar 12 / 10:00 AM PST SecReview: Snappy Symbolic Server

Calendar and Meeting details

General Meeting Details 
* IRC Channel: #security 
* Etherpad: http://etherpad.mozilla.com:9000/secreview 
* Vidyo: https://v.mozilla.com/flex.html?roomdirect.html&key=5XEMsG1ApA4b (Room 9058)
* Dial-in Info (phone): 
** In office or soft phone: extension 92 
** US/INTL: 650-903-0800 or 650-215-1282 then extension 92 
** Toronto: 416-848-3114 then extension 92 
** Toll-free: 800-707-2533 then password 369 
** Conference num 99058

For updates to meetings please see the Security Review Calendar

Review Needed

  • Feature pages triaged to need review, review unscheduled
Feature Feature List Target Rel Prod Mgr Lead Engr Security lead Security status Security notes Last Modified
Client-side XPI construction Jetpack Add-on Builder 2 Daniel Buchner Piotr Zalewa/Sean McArthur ` sec-review-needed ` 2011-07-13T22:16:04
Add-On Tab API ` Add-on SDK 1.5 David Mason ` Dan Veditz sec-review-needed ` 2012-01-11T22:10:27
Migrate Chrome settings and data Desktop Firefox 11 Asa Dotzler Makoto Kato ` sec-review-needed ` 2011-12-20T13:36:04
Style Editor Desktop Firefox 11 Kevin Dangoor Cedric Vivier ` sec-review-needed ` 2012-01-25T15:25:29
In-content preferences Desktop Firefox 15 Jared Wein Devan Sayles ` sec-review-needed when ready sched w/ curtisk 2012-01-25T22:43:11
DOMCryptAPI (a Crypto API in the DOM) Platform Firefox 15? Chris Blizzard David Dahl Brian Smith sec-review-needed ` 2012-02-07T03:07:24
Better rendering of fonts for Windows Platform Firefox 7 Chris Blizzard ` ` sec-review-needed small team review Christoph, bsterne, John Daggett 2011-10-13T00:23:00
FlightDeck as a Client-side App Jetpack FlightDeck 1.0 Daniel Buchner Sean McArthur ` sec-review-needed when ready sched w/ curtisk 2012-01-25T22:43:38
IndexedDB Support for Multi-Process Firefox Platform Future, distant future. Chris Blizzard ` ` sec-review-needed 2011.10.17: sid recommends we wait on this one but likely needs a review. 2011-11-10T19:14:59
Sharing textures cross-process for Electrolysis Platform Q4 of 2011. Chris Blizzard Chris Jones ` sec-review-needed ` 2011-10-13T16:52:42
SDK Support for Firefox for Mobile Addons Jetpack TBD David Mason Matteo Ferretti ` sec-review-needed ` 2011-08-12T17:06:55
Sign into the browser Other TBD Dan Mills Ben Adida ` sec-review-needed when ready sched w/ curtisk 2012-02-28T22:04:31
Tip of the day Thunderbird Thunderbird 11 Jean-Baptiste Piacentino Sancus ` sec-review-needed ` 2012-01-12T19:24:18
Modern Address Book – V1 Thunderbird Under revision ` Mike Conley ` sec-review-needed ` 2012-01-12T19:38:14
Blocklist UX enhancements [Plug-ins] Desktop ` Kev Needham ` ` sec-review-needed ` 2012-01-30T05:35:09
Use PFS2 as Plugin Finder data source Desktop ` Kev Needham ` ` sec-review-needed ` 2011-11-10T10:54:09
Add plugincheck functionality to Add-on Manager Desktop ` Kev Needham ` ` sec-review-needed ` 2011-10-24T21:28:12

Bugs marked sec-review-needed that need to be scheduled

ID Summary Status Priority
711618 implement click to play permission model NEW
585958 webapps OS level integration : Maemo NEW
721923 Security Review request for Automated/Assisted landing from Bugzilla to tip of $branch NEW
714302 add support for HTTP status code 308 NEW
567365 Cache-Control no-cache on https page disables history NEW
664636 Thunderbird should (semi-)automatically improve the security-related server configuration settings when it knows an improvement could be made NEW
664637 Thunderbird auto-configuration database should be expanded & updated by regularly spidering every domain on the internet NEW
674047 Teach FileSaver to take URIs as well NEW
677302 Preffing out CSS should be easier NEW
722126 Can’t transfer File objects with postMessage cross domain NEW
463027 Implement per-window Private Browsing NEW P4
718066 [meta] Add feature to submit anonymous product metrics to Mozilla ASSIGNED
80713 Need a way to specify an auto-height (size) for an IFRAME such that the frame is given the full height of the contained content ASSIGNED
674726 WebTelephony RESOLVED
728341 Security Review for Beta Release of App RESOLVED
706545 Implement a sync engine for apps exposed by navigator.mozApps RESOLVED

Stability Report

Socorro

  • Correlation reports for Aurora and Trunk are available in subdirectories of https://crash-analysis.mozilla.com/crash_analysis/ starting with today as bug 723182 is fixed now (for some reason Socorro isn’t picking them up correctly, but this whole mechanism is a bit wonky and will be replaced with a better model in the next months anyhow). Will work on getting the version for the next Firefox cycle there near to the source uplifts.

  • Next incremental Socorro release landing on Wednesday – no big changes, a couple of skiplist additions, fix for bug 724670 which unbreaks report lists for some Java signatures.
  • Stackwalking fix for MSVC2010 (and possibly browser-side hang signatures on FF11+) could also land with this release on Wednesday, see bug 726570.
  • Main focus of work for next release is ESR support.

Desktop

Trunk

  • bug 730550 Crash in gfxUserFontSet::OnLoadComplete @ __delayLoadHelper2

  • bug 730277 Crash @ nsWindowGfx::Data32BitTo1Bit
  • bug 730274 Startup crash in nsAppShell::ProcessNextNativeEvent @ DispatchHookA
  • bug 730633 crash in nsNSSSocketInfo::SetCertVerificationResult or nsNSSSocketInfo::StartTLS @ dyld_stub_binder

Aurora

Beta

Mobile

Graph and Soccoro work can be seen in the Testing Meeting notes 2/29/2012

Nightly

  • bug 730688 – java.lang.RuntimeException: Unable to resume activity {org.mozilla.fennec/org.mozilla.fennec.App}: java.lang.RuntimeException: Failure delivering result ResultInfo{who=null, request=2, result=-1, data=Intent { (has extras) }} to activity {org.mozilla.f…

  • bug 730890 – crash @ libdvm.so@<address>
  • bug 725167 – java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Given view not a child of android.widget.AbsoluteLayout@4… at android.view.ViewGroup.updateViewLayout(ViewGroup.java)

Aurora

  • bug 725295 – [Skia] Crash Report @ _ZN8SkBitmapaSERKS_ on HTC devices

  • bug 730890 – crash @ libdvm.so@<address>
  • bug 729129 – crash @ dlmalloc_walk_free_pages dvmHeapSourceTrim

Roundtable

28-February-2012

Mozilla Project Meeting Minutes: 2012-02-27

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 12:00 am

WeeklyUpdates/2012-02-27

« previous week | index | next week »

  • Dial-in: conference# 8600

    • US/International: +1 650 903 0800 x92 Conf# 8600

    • US toll free: +1 800 707 2533 (pin 369) Conf# 8600
    • Canada: +1 416 848 3114 x92 Conf# 8600

Contents

Friends of the Tree

Upcoming Events

This Week

Monday, 27 February

  • “Security Threat Modeling using TRIKE” brownbag in 10-Forward at 12:30 PM and will be broadcast on Air Mozilla.
Brenda Larcom and Eleanor Saitta have created a new system for threat
modeling, called "TRIKE," that they have been using and presenting for
the last few years. Their site for it is at http://octotrike.org (though
it isn't up to date with all of the most recent work). Brenda is coming
to Mozilla to present TRIKE to everyone, especially our security
organization.

Tuesday, 28 February

Wednesday, 29 February

Thursday, 01 March

Friday, 02 March

Next Week

Product Status Updates

Firefox Future (9, 10, 11)

Speaker Location:

Firefox Current (3.6, 8)

Speaker Location:

Mobile Firefox

Speaker Location:

Thunderbird

Speaker Location:

Older Branch Work

Speaker Location:

Drumbeat

Speaker Location: Matt in Toronto

  • In process of winding down the Mozilla Drumbeat brand and web site. Blog post here.

  • Focusing on best part of Drumbeat: making and learning. Authoring tools, learning experiences, and events for webmakers.
  • Work on new name and brand is ongoing. More on that soon.
  • Individual products (e.g., Mozilla Popcorn) will begin giving regular updates in these meetings. Starting next week.

Popcorn

No voice update this week.

  • Will begin giving regular status updates in this meeting beginning next week

Identity

Speaker Location:

Speakers

The limit is 3 minutes per speaker. It’s like a lightning talk, but don’t feel that you have to have slides in order to make a presentation.

Title Presenter Topic Media More Details
Your Title Here Your Name Here What are you going to talk about? Links to slides or images you want displayed on screen Link to where audience can find out more information
Frontend Developer, One Mozilla Website Project Craig Cook “Blogzilla” universal One Mozilla blog theme for official Mozilla blogs prototype add your blog to the tracking bug
Mozilla Security Michael Coates Updates on Security at Mozilla see links to the right

Status Updates By Team

Firefox

Platform

Services

Introduction

Hi, we’re about 30 people you probably didn’t know about before. We work on things like Sync (including the spiffy Android Sync being shown at MWC), as well as a number of other awesome, scalable infrastructure stuff, so you don’t have to.

We’re a friendly bunch, and would love to hear from you on services-dev@ or via IRC on #services-dev.

Messaging

Mobile

IT

Release Engineering

QA

Test Execution

WebQA

  • Affiliates

    • Release hot off the presses today – woot rshetty
  • AMO
    • Marketplace:Developer registration is 2/23.
  • Engagement Projects
    • DTPT Facebook phase II is in the works
  • Mozilla.com
    • shipped 1.7 on 02/21
  • Mozillians
  • MDN
    • shipped 2.2.1 on 02/21
  • Socorro
  • SUMO
    • Shipped 2/21 release

    • 2/28 release in progress

QA Community

  • WebQA Testday in San Francisco was a great success — 18 people showed up, and we had 3 pull requests in only 2.5 hours

Automation Services

Automation & Tools

  • Autoland Bugzilla extension going to security review

  • Marionette support for FindElement(s) support has landed for both chrome and content
  • Pageloader is now part of Talos (not it’s own repo any longer)
  • Panda board automation making progress, should have new rev’s of boards this week
  • Robocop Talos tests should go live this week (Tpan, Tzoom style tests)
  • Peptest is back on try but hidden, use &noignore to see them – working on tuning the oranges that it is currently reporting.
  • More information available here

Security

Security Reviews & Threat Modeling Sessions Scheduled for this week

Date / Time Item
Mon Feb 27 / 13:00 PST Threat Model: Metlog
Wed Feb 29 / 13:00 PST Threat Model: Token Server
THU Mar 1 / 10:00 PST SecReview: WebSMS, bug 674725
Fri Mar 12 / 10:00 AM PST SecReview: Snappy Symbolic Server

Calendar and Meeting details

General Meeting Details 
* IRC Channel: #security 
* Etherpad: http://etherpad.mozilla.com:9000/secreview 
* Vidyo: https://v.mozilla.com/flex.html?roomdirect.html&key=5XEMsG1ApA4b (Room 9058)
* Dial-in Info (phone): 
** In office or soft phone: extension 92 
** US/INTL: 650-903-0800 or 650-215-1282 then extension 92 
** Toronto: 416-848-3114 then extension 92 
** Toll-free: 800-707-2533 then password 369 
** Conference num 99058

For updates to meetings please see the Security Review Calendar

Security Review Needed but Unscheduled

Engagement

PR

Events

Creative Team

Community Marketing

Support

Metrics

Evangelism

Labs

Apps

Developer Tools

Add-ons

Webdev

  • The Flux and Web Productions teams are having their team onsites / work weeks in Mountain View this week. Come say hi!

L10n

People Team

WebFWD

Introducing New Hires

New Hire Introduced by Speaker location Will be working on
Who is the new hire? Who will be introducing that person? From which office will that introduction be transmitted? What will the new person be working on?
Tyler Downer Ibai Garcia Mountain View Apps Marketplace Support
Adam Muntner Yvan Boily Mountain View Web Application Security Engineer
Cori Schauer Jinghua Zhang Mountain View Senior User Experience Researcher
Christopher Appleton Ryan Merkley Toronto Graphic Designer
Kannan Vijayan Sean Stangl Mountain View IonMonkey
Spencer Hui Rainer Cvillink Mountain View Video Producer

Introducing New Interns

New Intern Introduced by Speaker location Will be working on
Who is the new intern? Who will be introducing that person? From which office will that introduction be transmitted? What will the new person be working on?

Foundation Updates

Roundtable

23-February-2012

Mobile Meeting Minutes: 2012-02-22

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 12:00 am

Mobile/Notes/22-Feb-2012

Contents

Details

  • Wednesdays – 9:30am Pacific, 12:30pm Eastern, 16:30 UTC

  • Dial-in: conference# 95312
    • US/International: +1 650 903 0800 x92 Conf# 95312

    • US toll free: +1 800 707 2533 (pin 369) Conf# 95312
    • Canada: +1 416 848 3114 x92 Conf# 95312
  • irc.mozilla.org #mobile for backchannel
  • Warp Core Vidyo Room

Schedule

  • Next merge is 2012-03-13

Major Topics for This Week

Release Roadmap
Fx 11 XUL is going to Beta channel. Fx 10 XUL ESR is going to the Release channel.

Release Focus
With less than 3 weeks until the next merge, we need to make sure we are on track to meet our release goals. These include: Fast rendering & panning with minimal checkerboarding; Sync support on par with current releases; Responsive UI; and high stability.

MWC Focus
We need to make sure we with have acceptable support for the MWC demos.

Stand ups

Suggested format:

  • What did you do last week?

  • What are working on this week?
  • Anything blocking you?

Please keep your update to under 2 minutes!

James W. (snorp)

Kats

  • Last week

    • Did some work on the maple branch – ripped out a lot of unused code and am now working on viewport prediction

    • Also was away on PTO for a while
  • This week

    • Get an idea of how much viewport prediction will help us and get it hooked up

    • More work on reducing checkerboarding

GBrown

Last week:

  • Robocop reviews: Keep those UI tests coming!

  • xpcshell-via-SUT: Just waiting on a dependent bug.
  • oprofile appears to be available in engineering build on ICS…but I can’t get any samples: http://pastebin.mozilla.org/1489755

Next week:

  • Try to get oprofile samples

AlexP

Chris Lord (cwiiis)

  • Last Week

    • Being ill

    • Interviewing
    • bug 726817 – Websites are cut off in Maple
    • Reviews
  • This week

    • bug 709813 – DOM Fullscreen mode doesn’t work (in m-c and maple)

    • bug 729391 – Checkerboarding on Maple (meta-bug)
    • bug 729534 – Buffer rotation appears to be broken on engadget
    • Reviews

Chris Peterson

  • Last Week

    • bug 681192 – Investigated romaxa’s patches to avoid layer invalidation when scrolling

    • bug 706891 – Made axis scroll lock unbreakable (like XUL Fennec)
  • This Week

    • bug 715251 – Reduce overscroll distance and janky scrolling — Implementing review feedback

    • bug 708167 – Profile about:home time without Placeholder initialization — Waiting for bug 723251
    • Investigating IME bugs

GCP

  • Last week:

    • bug 726002 Potential OOM in new UrlClassifier.

    • bug 727264 java.lang.ClassCastException: java.lang.Integer at ProfileMigrator.java:196 if Background Data is turned off
    • bug 726024 Some of the desktop bookmarks are put under “Mobile Bookmarks” after profile migration
  • This week:
    • bug 726821 SQLiteBridge should return a cursor

    • bug 721898 – Truncate History to 300 items in BrowserProvider
    • bug 725150 – Need logic to prevent sync and profile migration happening at the same time
    • bug 725900 – Don’t start profile migration if we have been launched from an intent
    • bug 721352 – Add support for batch operations in LocalDB
    • Prolly have another UrlClassifier bug incoming. Or two.
  • Blockers:
    • None

Brian N

  • Done

    • PTO

    • Robocop tests
    • bug 725609 – Bookmarklets don’t work in Fennec Native
    • bug 727973 – Remove notifyChange from LocalBrowserDB
  • Next
    • More tests

    • More bugs
  • Blockers
    • bug 725990 – Add capability to link from notification

      • blocks bug 725987 – Create Telemetry (opt-out) notification for Nightly and Aurora (mobile)

Sriram

  • Last week:

    • Fixed fullscreen support for honeycomb+ bug 727610

    • Cleaned up using DisplayMetrics and Configuration in Java bug 727628
    • Exploring ways to use messages with Handler bug 727307
    • Making tabs-tray show tabs added in background (when tabs-tray is being displayed) bug 727930
  • This week:
    • Fixed about:home is blank bug 728240

      • This probably fixed native crash on BrowserToolbar bug 729219
    • Cleaning up about:home to start with content branded about:home pages
  • Blockers:
    • None.

WesJ

  • Last week

    • Patches and tests for form history and passwords

    • Fixed some video controls problems
  • This week

    • More video controls fixes

    • Touch events fixes
    • Review comments on form history
  • Blocked

    • Passwords is blocked on a review.

LucasR

Last week

  • Database migration to sanitize our bookmarks table

  • Database migration (suggested by mfinkle and gcp) that vastly improves awesome bar performance
  • Working on an inital set of tests for our ContentProvider
  • Lots of patch reviews

Next week

  • Finish ContentProvider tests

  • Performance improvements on about:home and awesome screen
  • More P1/P2 bug fixing

Blockers

  • None

Note

  • I have a long list of bugs assigned to me right now. Ping me if you’re looking for new bugs to work on!

MBrubeck

Done:

  • bug 728005 – Crash when entering full screen mode on Android 2.3

  • bug 728379 – [maple] Use setCSSViewport to set the layout viewport
  • Helping with other Maple viewport issues

Next:

  • Add-on manager bugs

  • bug 724292 – Marketplace issue with multiple launcher icons
  • Other bugs, polish, UI work

Margaret

Done:

Next:

  • Land bookmarks UI and finish tests

  • Move on to some new bugs!

Scott (jwir3)

Won’t be at the meeting this week due to an appointment. I’ll be back next week. Feel free to ping me on irc if you need anything!

Last Week:

  • [ Bug 708187]: titles bleed out of divs on marketwatch.com (not 100% finished, but should be complete this week)

This Week:

  • Finish bug 708187

  • Bug 711418: Font inflation has no effect on www.cnn.com
  • Bug 705446: font inflates text extremely large in certain parts of the page
  • Bug 707195: news.ycombinator.com comments inflated to different sizes

Blocking:

  • None

Other:

  • I have an HTC evo that has an adreno 200 GPU, if the graphics folks need any assistance testing maple.

Josh (Arreth)

  • Last Week

    • Worked on integrating new non-canvas screenshot code into patch for bug 723251

    • Took a break from that to begin on helping with fixes for Maple and MWC related stuff
  • This Week
    • Finish up updated patch for bug 723251

    • Working on any MWC related issues that I can help with
    • Working on bug 727812
  • Blockers
    • No blocking issues at the moment
  • Other
    • Gold linker on Mac OSX 10.7.3?

    • I have snacks for MV people :D

BLassey

  • MWC demos

  • supporting gfx

DougT

  • Bug 662678, 716173 – device orientation stuff.

  • Investigated Tegra JNI failures. 2.2 doesn’t have global weak references.
  • Bug 716173 – Fixed top crash on Maple.
  • GFX maple work and reviews.

MFinkle

Done:

  • Triaging MWC work

  • Fixing some crashes
  • Adding some small UI features

Next:

  • MWC

Madhava

  • late-breaking addition for release – minimal UI for “remote tabs”

    • over to Ian :)
  • desktop bookmark foldering in for final, yes?
  • at MWC next week

Ian Barlow

  • Recovering from two work weeks!

  • Back on tablet designs!
  • Designing some UI for remote tabs access on phone!

Patryk Adamczyk

Recovering from a work week and being sick, back on tablet designs.

Round Table

  • Status for tablet support on native? (Axel)

    • file bug 729602 to get a list of strings to fork for tablet UI compared to phone

Firefox/Gecko Delivery Meeting Minutes: 2012-02-22

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 12:00 am

Firefox/Planning/2012-02-22

« previous week | index | next week »

Planning Meeting Details

  • Wednesdays – 11:00am PDT, 18:00 UTC

  • Mountain View Offices: Warp Core Conference Room
  • Toronto Offices: Finch Conference Room
  • irc.mozilla.org #planning for backchannel
  • (the developer meeting takes place on Tuesdays)

Video/Teleconference Details – NEW

  • 650-903-0800 or 650-215-1282 x92 Conf# 95312 (US/INTL)

  • 1-800-707-2533 (pin 369) Conf# 95312 (US)
  • Vidyo Room: Warp Core
  • Vidyo Guest URL
REMEMBER

These notes are read by people who weren’t able to attend the meeting. Please make sure to include links and context so they can be understood.

Contents

Actions from Last Week

  • cheng to dig into connection reset issues with SSL

    • Looks like it’s probably related to just a few specific sites. FWIW, complaints seem to have died down this week so dunno (although a few of the previous threads ended in “I’m just switching to Chrome”)
  • irina to let us know whether dolphin for iOS uses Sync
    • Dolphin can sync data in 2 ways: through a feature inside the browser which is called Dolphin Connect and through an add-on which is called Firefox Sync for Dolphin HD, which is the one using our mechanism. Dolphin Connect can only sync bookmarks and it is present on iOS and Android inside the browser. The add-on, Firefox Sync for Dolphin, is not present on iOS, only on Android.

Schedule & Progress on Upcoming Releases

Firefox Desktop

Release (3.6, 10)

  • FF 3.6.27 and FF/ESR 10.0.2 released last Friday due to security concerns

  • FF 3.6.27 -> FF 10.0.2 MU pushed out last week as well

Beta (11)

  • Firefox 11 Beta 4 will be released Friday

  • Firefox 11 code freeze is a little over a week away, on Friday 3/2
  • Effort underway to bring old beta users to the latest version using automatic updates (typically used for minor updates) as opposed to advertised updates

    • This is a more aggressive approach since incompatible add-ons will not be reported prior to update, and the update is automatically downloaded.

Aurora (12)

Nightly (13)

Some nice UI cleanup and beginning Australis prep work has happened in the last week.

  • Dão fixed bug 702225 – Implement revised nav bar button appearance on Windows and bug 631250 – Status overlay switches to right side of window when find bar is open and bug 727793 – Status panel tracks the mouse position on the wrong side when using a RTL locale

  • heycam fixed bug 674370 – [10.7] Support animation when opening windows in Lion
  • Jared fixed bug 709182 – “connecting” in tab title when reloading is unnecessary visual noise and bug 722681 – Show the tab close button immediately when the second tab of a window is opened
  • mak fixed bug 720258 – Inline autocomplete should only autocomplete URLs you’ve typed
  • ttaubert fixed bug 725200 – about:newtab briefly shown in location bar of new tab
  • Joshua M fixed bug 726259 – bookmarks toolbar top border and bug 729293 – Reduce border-radius on nav-bar to match Australis design

Firefox Mobile

DID YOU KNOW? Firefox with native Android widgets supports add-ons! It’s true.

  • Working on gl-layers (Maple), Sync features, UI responsiveness, and stability

  • Working on MWC readiness bug list
  • Native is planned for Fx13

Firefox Sync

Add-on Builder

Add-on SDK

Release (1.4 -> Firefox 9, 10)

Stabilization (1.5 -> Firefox 10, 11)

Development (1.6 -> Firefox 11, 12)

Identity

Feedback Summary

Desktop

Mobile

Just read the wiki.

  • Top dissatisfiers on mobile according to the android market continue to be flash and performance-related issues. New filtering of android market reviews is now available, making it much easier to assess the negative reviews and get more data about makes/models for each review, so the analysis going forward should be a richer set of data.

  • Re-planning documentation updates for tablet to match new schedule for nativeUI (we scaled back tablet changes because of nativeUI, now that nativeUI has slipped, tablet docs could use some love).
  • Working on docs for add-ons, security and privacy for nativeUI beta.

UX & User Research

Market Insights

Desktop / Platform

Adobe

  • Adobe released a roadmap for Flash, which focuses on improved support for gaming and video. At the same time, they announced via a blog post that in future, only the version of Flash for the Pepper Plugin API will be supported on Linux, effectively meaning that Flash will only be available on the platform with Google Chrome or Chromium. After version 11.2, the NPAPI version of Flash will only receive security updates.

Google

  • Google was the subject of a significant amount of press coverage this week when the Wall Street Journal revealed that Google’s +1 button system was taking advantage of a WebKit bug in Safari to allow scripted POST calls to override the browser’s rules on third-party cookie collection. Microsoft made a similar claim that Google’s incorrect use of HTTP P3P headers allowed it to set third-party tracking cookies. Google replied that the Wall Street Journal story “mischaracterized what happened and why” and that MSIE’s implementation of P3P is not functional in today’s web.

  • CNET interviewed Google Chrome VP Sundar Pichai. He noted that Chrome is part of a larger ecosystem that includes Native Client, the Chrome Web Store, Chromebooks and Google Apps, all of which he said have long run revenue opportunities. He also said that Google has always taken an open, standards-based approach to their initiatives, that they see businesses and schools as solid opportunities for Chromebooks, and that upcoming improvements will feature a significant amount of GPU rendering to improve the experience on slower hardware like Chromebooks. Newer, faster Chromebooks will be arriving soon, which will support 64-bit architectures.
  • A Google Chrome engineer made an interesting blog post about how Chrome on Android handles low memory situations — it first selectively kills background tabs, then clears memory caches and performs garbage collection. Finally, when the system can allocate memory no more, it kills Chrome’s renderer process in which the web page lives. Many mobile browsers would crash entirely, but due to Chrome’s multiprocess architecture, the browser keeps running and displays the “Aw, Snap!” page.
  • The Google Dart team released an initial development version of “Dartium”, a version of Chromium that includes the Dart virtual machine. Currently only available in Mac and Linux builds.
  • Google announced that that their public DNS service now receives 70 billion requests a day, with 70% of traffic coming from outside the USA.
  • The Chrome team is also proposing a feature in Chrome that would automatically generate passwords. They describe their longer-term goal as OpenID, but this feature as a necessary interim stopgap for improved security.

Microsoft

  • Microsoft quietly announced that consumer security support for Windows 7 and Windows Vista would be extended from five years to ten.

  • Microsoft, in a blog post, described how they built a MSIE performance testing data center of 140 machines hosting a “mini-Internet. It tests the performance of builds 200 times daily, collecting over 5.7 million measurements and 480GB of runtime data each day from 850 different types of metrics.

Apple

  • Apple released a developer preview of Mountain Lion, the upcoming version of OS X to be released this summer. At this stage it looks like the most significant change for Safari will be an integrated search / address bar.

Opera

  • Opera purchased two mobile advertising companies.

  • An independent developer, using Opera’s APIs, released a product equivalent to Firefox Home on iOS. Opera Link is available in the Windows Phone Market.

Security

  • McAfee released their 2011 Q4 Quarterly Threat Report (PDF report). The number of malicious URLs continues to rise, jumping by more than 5 times during 2011, to more than 700,000 active malicious URLs.

  • Adobe patched seven critical vulnerabilities in Flash Player that took advantage of a cross-site scripting bug in MSIE. Adobe noted that even if its upcoming sandboxed MSIE Flash Player was available, the XSS-based attacks would still have worked.

WebKit

  • In WebKit development this week, the Web Inspector now has a tool for reviewing IndexedDB databases, as well as a color picker, and two new CSS properties were added: -webkit-line-grid and -webkit-overflow-scrolling, and all HTML elements now support the translate attribute. Support for the CSS calc() function and the VibrationAPI also arrived.

Tizen

Mobile

Summary below, full update here and in your inbox.

  • Rumours on Jelly Bean launch next quarter not likely to be true
  • Tegra 3 devices coming out this quarter
  • Opera bought 2 mobile advertising agencies to focus on the US and European markets
  • Next version of OS X goes towards deeper integration with iOS and iCloud
  • RIM released BlackBerry Playbook OS 2
  • Ubuntu for Android was announced
  • Browsing patterns on mobile similar during the weekdays and the weekend
  • Kindle Fire accounted for 36% of tablet app sessions in Jan 2012, on par with the Samsung Galaxy Tab

Marketing, Press & Public Reaction

Desktop

(Just read the wiki)

  • In the thick of getting ready for the next release – website, blog, etc.

  • Updated ads to 3.6 Upgrade Campaign, will be live for the next few weeks

Mobile

  • Finalizing MWC Fennec demo scripts

  • Beta/final release re-planning
  • Media campaign for tablets campaign wrap up and analysis

Press

Questions, Comments, FYI

  • (johnath) running this meeting next week during MWC?

Actions this week

  • lawrence/cheng to come back on uptick in perf concerns on FF11 input

22-February-2012

SeaMonkey Meeting Minutes: 2012-02-21

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 12:00 am

SeaMonkey/StatusMeetings/2012-02-21

« last meeting | index | next meeting »

SeaMonkey Meeting Details

Contents

Agenda

  • Who’s taking minutes? -> TBD

  • Nominees for Friends of the Fish Tank:
    • Ratty nominates Lewis G Rosenthal. He has been tweaking install.rdf files and since November 2011 he has been helping Ratty to contact the authors of these tweaked extensions and encouraging them to make their extensions officially compatible with SeaMonkey.

    • Please note A person or entity can’t be nominated twice in a row.

Action Items

(who needs to do what that hasn’t been recorded in a bug) We should assign people to the open items.

NEW

OPEN

  • IanN to write the “Friends of the Fish Tank” F.A.Q.

Status of the SeaMonkey Buildbot Master and Tree

  • Current Issues with existing machines:

    • There are problems with some hosts on parallels, current plan is to build the Parallels VMs on ESX instead once scl3 has network and power to the new ESX cluster.

    • One win VM, switched from FAT32 to NTFS for one of its drives, need to recreate folders appropriately.
  • “Where do we stand with the machine(s) right now?”
    • bug 721516 migrate seamonkey systems out of sjc1/scl2 and into scl3/scl1.

      • (2012-02-07) “Currently the 13 HP’s have been moved to SCL3, and the 4 mac minis in sonnet chassis are at SCL2 and will be moved to SCL3.”

      • the 4 iX boxes are racked and powered at SJC1 on floor 14 rack 102.05, one of these is having hardware issues, an iX technician will be servicing.
      • + 4 blocking bugs.

Release Train

  • 2.8b2 was shipped on February 9.

  • 2.7.1 was shipped on February 10.
  • 2.7.2 was shipped on February 17.
  • 2.8b3 was shipped on February 18.

Extensions Compatibility Tracking

We need some help with the add-ons listed under the “2.0x” heading. Anything above it will work out of the box with SM 2.7 and later (yay to compatible-by-default!). Perhaps Ratty can go through his xSidebar site and check which add-ons are not compatible with at least SM 2.1 – that would help, too.

  • Since xSidebar itself is not compatible with any recent SM version, it should not be listed as a featured add-on on AMO. Who can make that change?

    • KaiRo said he did, but it’s still featured for at least en-US and de locales.

    • If anyone wants to suggest add-ons to be featured, send them to InvisibleSmiley (in manageable doses that is).
  • Addon Compatibility Listings, mostly maintained by InvisibleSmiley

    • Recent changes can be found here.

    • Restructured for compatible-by-default.
  • Enigmail provides versions for release (AMO) and all branches (Enigmail nightly page). The current release is compatible with both 2.6 and 2.7.
  • Lightning provides versions for the current stable and beta releases (AMO) and nightlies for trunk and Aurora (Calendar Versions page). Lightning 1.3b1 which works with SM 2.8bX is available from AMO (Development Channel).
  • Firebug is compatible but not flagged as such on AMO (depends on automatic tests being set up and run on the Firebug side: bug 680837, needs a Python coder). Stable Firebug version 1.9.x works with any recent SM version. FB 1.10a1 works with trunk, 1.10a2 and 1.10a3 are broken but next alpha should be OK again.
  • Besides the above, we should also take a look at other add-ons that are important for our users when they switch to 2.x.
  • The SeaMonkey Features page links to sub-pages for all recent SM versions, including those in development. Please help InvisibleSmiley add major features to the respective pages, ideally as they land. These pages are used when creating release notes, so the more up-to-date the better.
  • bug 666303 (Seamonkey 2.1 is detected as Firefox 2.1 on the Add-on Site) and bug 671085 Confusing compatibility error when visiting Firefox listing page using SeaMonkey)
    • We don’t have a dedicated person here who understands how AMO really works, who to contact in order to actually get things moving etc. Unfortunately. Someone needs to sit down and find the offending logic, wherever it may be (probably in the AMO source, at github).

2.x (Last, Current, Next)

  • 2.7 had ~76,900 ADU by last Thursday and 2.7.1 has had ~25,700 and 2.7.2 has had ~9,400 downloads so far.

    • Of the released versions, as of last Thursday, we have 16.8% on 2.0, 6.3% on 2.1-2.3, 4.9% on 2.4, 4.5% on 2.5, 11.0% on 2.6 and 56.5% on 2.7. So, in the last two weeks, ~2.8k (an additional 2.1% of ADU) have migrated to 2.6 or above.
  • Still a large, but slowly decreasing, chunk of users on 2.0.x.
  • Figure out what is preventing people from moving from 2.0.x to the latest versions.
    • Some people cannot upgrade due to system requirements (OS version, processor capabilities etc.)

    • Perhaps putting resources into getting certain extensions working with SM 2.4 and above (those that won’t work with SM 2.7 automatically due to compatible-by-default extensions).
    • Still need volunteers to look at what is keeping people at below 2.4. IanN could try knocking something up and send it round members lists for polishing but he’s not on all the channels (mozillazine, etc) to post it to when finished.
    • Are some Linux distributions are still stuck on 2.0? We have data on OSes and OS versions in the raw data in the Mozilla metrics, AFAIK, Callek now also has access to that.

Usual reminders:

  • Please make sure that anything that landed on comm-beta (for TB) or mozilla-beta (for FF) which affected non-shared code and which fixed regressions will be fixed on our side, too. Please mark bugs we feel *need* to land on a particular train tracking+ or tracking? so that when we to do a release we can be sure that we don’t miss anything.

    • Priority should be given to fixing regressions ASAP. Also keep an eye on and prioritize bugs to be ported from FF/TB that land on branches (Aurora, Beta). We need to keep an eye especially on Session Restore, Sync, Tabbrowser and Address Book.

    • Be careful not to break code shared with Thunderbird, otherwise patches might have to be backed out of string frozen repositories.

2.7

open tracking (0)
tracking requests (0)
targeted (0)
fixed (30)

  • One tracked 2.5 issue still open.

    • 2.1 through 2.7 have NOT included the ka locale. The last release with ka locale shipped was 2.0.14 and the ka l10n maintainers have not yet updated for changes in later SeaMonkey versions.

    • Callek now needs to morph bug 667147 into removing |ka| from our [current] automation entirely (all-locales). Callek will look at best locale to transition any ka users to.
      • Plan is to migrate ka users to en-US with a english dialog saying they are out of date, and a link to the all-locales page if there is a language they understand better. Current ADU of ka alone is 3-5 individuals, so low impact.~Callek
  • The New 2.7 Features page has a comprehensive list of features.

2.Next

  • InvisibleSmiley created a restartless add-on (available on AMO) for SM 2.8 (now in Beta) which adds an “Add-ons” options to the list of engines on the Sync pref panel.

  • Remember to help update the New Features pages as we go along.

Feature List, Planning

Bug statistics for last two (full) weeks: 57 new, 37 fixed, 14 triaged.

  • Good triaging effort.

  • Good further triage targets could come out of looking at the component bug counts, pick yours!

Open reviews/flags:
23 review
9 super-review
0 ui-review
8 feedback

Major wanted/needed features:

Active

  • bug 606683 Allow customization of toolbar in Composer and MailNews Composition [IanN].

    • Progressing slowly, still waiting on reviews from TB side. Full customization has to go to 2.next (currently 2.10 but could be pushed back further) as it needs work on TB too which is taking a while to get reviews on, plus feedback from kaze.

    • IanN is still wading through the unpicking of Composer/Mail Compose code in the dependent bugs. After that he will be reworking his customising patches.
  • bug 477845 Build a standalone (Comm-central) Composer. [kaze]
    • kaze has done a bit of work in this bug recently. Building on Windows works. Now supports debug builds on Linux if tests are disabled (–disable-tests). Still a lot to do.

    • The standalone Composer patch has to be rebased and fixed for MacOSX.
    • Kaze is considering moving Kompozer to an addon so that we can reuse the dialog boxes but start fresh for the content part. Also we can then use the current devtools. KaiRo told kaze in Berlin it seemed a good idea, as it could allow to run a Composer *tab* instead of a Composer window.
    • Kaze working on it on his spare time, with an Indian contributor.
    • IanN was supposed to help get builds working with --enable-tests.
      • Will look into this once he gets his customization patches reworked.
  • Real full-screen (bug 610509) and DOM full-screen (bug 701714)
    • patches provided by Mnyromyr and InvisibleSmiley. Otherwise stalled. :-(

Needing help, Unowned, Stalled

  • Kill-RDF:

    • bug 657607 Port jminta’s kill-rdf to SeaMonkey where applicable Part 2 [meta].

    • bug 657604 Remove the RDF global object. [serge]
  • bug 436794 Enable Mac OS X system address book per default and add UI.
    • SM UI needed, unowned, helpwanted.
  • bug 449728 Drag tabs between windows.
  • bug 477840 Backport KompoZer to Composer (Depends on bug 477845).
    • kaze has done a ton of work there. We still need to work out some organizational issues. At the moment there is no active interest from MoMo for bringing standalone composer into comm-central. That’s something we (KaiRo and kaze) will have to negotiate with the Thunderbird team (Standard8).
  • bug 507841 Port Bug 422814 – Make account configuration quick, easy, and more secure (autoconfig, Quick Account Setup).
  • bug 533908 SeaMonkey Mail: tabs not restored [misak].
  • bug 523274 Complete new default theme icon set.
  • bug 526210 Update the icon set for the SeaMonkey Modern Theme.
    • bug 548778 New communicator icons (based on Strata theme) for SeaMonkey. Some proposed icons got posted, we should take a look how to get that contribution into the product.

    • The rest is unowned so far.
  • bug 87098 [SeaMonkey] Delete key should delete location bar history list entry.
    • Note: Our location bar history doesn’t and can’t use autocomplete at all.
  • bug 677484 Individual SeaMonkey components are not properly handled by the Windows 7 taskbar.
  • bug 654009 Reply to list: automatically determine From: address
    • Note: The actual task here is to port bug 45715 “Reply to List” [button/(context) menu item]
  • bug 664309 Make the built-in ChatZilla display a cZ icon in SeaMonkey (now helpwanted)

Roundtable – Personal Status Updates

Status Updates from developers – what are you working on, what’s the progress, any other comments? (feel free to add yourself to the list if your name is missing and you have interesting status).

Aqualon

Callek

Fixed:

  • (Part Of, MoCo Releng) bug 719260 Investigate why updates builder triggered twice for 10.0b5.

  • bug 722262 Port |bug 552864 Throw away wrapper shell script on unix and lazily load libxul| to SeaMonkey.
    • (Also Fixes) bug 704835 Use a pre-generated nsXREAppData struct instead of application.ini. [SeaMonkey Part]
  • bug 724480 Update function on nightly non-functional since version bump to 2.10a1.
  • bug 724791 Bring GenerateCCBranchObjects up to date.
  • (MoCo Releng) bug 687179 tagging should use one tagging operation per tagged revision.
  • bug 722448 Close PasswordAuth ssh access on cn-sea-qm-centos5-01.nl.mozilla.org.
  • bug 725557 (SM2.7.1) Tracking bug for build and release of SeaMonkey 2.7.1.
  • bug 726290 Builder Steps in dump_master.py should have sorted keys (use pretty print) .
  • bug 669722 update-verify-bump.pl incorrectly removes the previous release when oldVersion=5.0.
  • bug 631864 Investigate why [or fix] mac repacks being uploaded to mac64/ rather than mac/.
  • bug 726486 add Ukrainian to builds.
  • bug 560772 Make use of mozilla::services for comm-central.
  • bug 726797 Multi-GPU Detection Broken on Windows Gecko 11. Still needs to land on branches.
  • bug 727258 Suite Depend Locales broken after bug 722262.
  • bug 727799 (SM2.7.2) Tracking bug for build and release of SeaMonkey 2.7.2.
  • bug 727806 (SM2.8b3) Tracking bug for build and release of SeaMonkey 2.8b3.
  • bug 694371 [c-c] “Warning: package error or possible missing or unnecessary file:” : 4 “VC80″ files. (WIN32_REDIST_DIR is needed again.)

Lots Of Reviews

  • (Filed/drove) bug 726869 Please create Approval-? message for SeaMonkey approval-comm-*

Lots Of Triage

Working On:

  • (MoCo Releng) bug 607392 split tagging into en-US and other

  • bug 728597 Merge SeaMonkey build-tools back to official build-tools repo.
  • bug 728930 Move Mozconfigs into Source Tree.

ToDo:

  • bug 607776 force_release_l10n.py: Make the default for shipped-locales work for non-browser apps.

  • bug 723638 Mercurial 2.1 returns 1 if nothing was pulled, in which case client.py doesn’t succeed.
  • (Port Of) bug 726978 Remove useless NS_New(Native)LocalFile calls in nsBrowserApp.cpp.

Investigation Needed:

  • bug 726565 sea-win32-02 [iX] failed to come up properly after a reboot.

  • bug 593159 Remove version.nsh dependency from installer code.

Tracking:

  • bug 494421 Use Google as network geolocation provider.

ewong

  • Fixed:

    • bug 717493 – Port |Bug 717491 – “Warning: package error or possible missing or unnecessary file: bin/components/proxyObject.xpt (package-manifest, 151).”| to SeaMonkey

    • bug 723839 – Tracking bug for build and release of SeaMonkey 2.8 Beta 1
    • bug 724490 – Comment out the -jN lines in the .mozconfigs for each branch

  • Needs Review:

    • bug 707786 – Use Services.prefs instead of preferences-service / gPrefService, in SeaMonkey

    • bug 706287 – Add link to TBPL in SeaMonkey QA menu

  • Working On:

    • bug 722767 – Change buildbot configs to upload symbols to symbols1.dmz.phx1.mozilla.com

IanN

  • Usual testing, reviewing and commenting.

  • Fixed:
  • Waiting for review on:
    • bug 491843 IPv6 address literal is not usable as server name

    • bug 725093 Update en-GB for Gecko 12.0 (mozilla-aurora)
    • bug 725109 Update en-GB for Firefox 12.0 (mozilla-aurora)
    • bug 725111 Update en-GB for Editor 12 (comm-aurora)
    • bug 725121 Update en-GB for Thunderbird 12.0 (comm-aurora)
    • bug 725179 Update en-GB for SeaMonkey 2.9
    • bug 725187 Update en-GB for SeaMonkey 2.9 Help
    • bug 725363 Update en-GB for Calendar/Lightning 1.4
    • bug 638643 Remove obsolete EditorToggleParagraphMarks from editor.js
  • Waiting for dependent bug to be checked in:
    • bug 720661 Display account central when no default account / no accounts setup
  • Waiting for additional review on:
  • Reviewed and waiting for feedback from mobile peer:
    • bug 689253 Update en-GB for Mobile 10.0 (comm-aurora)
  • Working on:
    • Final version of proposed changes to Project Areas.

    • Various SM Council documents.
    • bug 606683 Allow customization of toolbar in Composer and MailNews Composition
    • bug 639690 [META] Re-arrange code between editor and editorOverlay
    • bug 657234 Move pasteQuote and pasteNoFormatting into contentAreaContextOverlay
    • File/Folder selection in windows.
  • To Do:
    • bug 639395 Get cmd_fontSize to reflect current state of selected content / content at caret.

    • Prefs-in-a-tab.
    • Create FAQ for Friends of the Fish Tank.
    • Knock something up finding out why users are not upgrading to 2.4+ and send it around members lists for polishing.
    • Help get composer standalone builds working with –enable-tests.

InvisibleSmiley

  • Fixed:

    • bug 728431 Update SeaMonkey website for 2.8 Beta 3

    • bug 728300 Update mirrorred flags
    • bug 727887 Update SeaMonkey website for 2.7.2 Oilspill release
    • bug 726187 Update SeaMonkey website for 2.7.1 Oilspill release
    • bug 725679 suite/common/tests/browser/browser_346337.js | Test timed out
    • bug 725487 Update SeaMonkey website for 2.8 Beta 2
    • bug 722405 Update SeaMonkey website for 2.7 Final release
    • bug 712699 Create/Update 2.7 Release Notes
    • bug 720735 Sync certain global mailnews.* preferences
    • bug 727929 test_idcheck.xul > preferences.xul: doubled ‘languageBundle’ and ‘regionBundle’
  • ToDo:

    • bug 701714 Add support for DOM full-screen

    • bug 640420 Add draggable splitter between urlbar and searchbar
    • bug 711334 Be explicit that TLS version is 1.0
    • look into
      • bug 698038 Update Preferences help for the new section to control crash report

      • bug 696757 Port “Time range to clear” from Firefox to SeaMonkey’s “Clear private data” dialog
    • track
      • bug 687316 (Remaining) Sync changes to port to Suite

KaiRo

  • Fixed metrics pages to correctly list new versions and simplified code for it.

  • Fixed the build system porting tracker to work with the new Mercurial deployed on Mozilla servers.
  • Reviewed SeaMonkey binary restructuring (bug 722262).
  • I worked on getting my themes up to date for the current SeaMonkey and Firefox releases, currently testing them.
  • As usual, my blog has more detailed status about my activities, and Mozilla Status Board Posts also tell about my next planned steps – both including my non-SeaMonkey Mozilla work as well.

mcsmurf

Checkin-needed: bug 593159 Remove version.nsh dependency from installer code.

Misak

Fixed bug 700144 Port bug 640136 [onchange & input events are not fired for all form elements on restore].

  • Needs approval for comm-aurora and comm-beta.

Mnyromyr

Working on bug 127399 Allow sending emails with IDN based email addresses [has review+].

MReimer

Neil

Fixed:

  • bug 631208 bug 553937 regressed bug 121583 (was fixed a year ago!).

  • bug 728096 [SeaMonkey] TEST-UNEXPECTED-FAIL | chrome://mochitests/content/browser/docshell/test/navigation/browser_bug343515.js | Tab N should be inactive.

Working on:

  • bug 71008 [RFE] Account Wizard should allow setting of different SMTP server.

  • bug 728478 Consolidate about redirectors.

Ratty

Page Info Fixes:

Lightning/SeaMonkey Integration:

  • bug 721327 Implement Tabs Toolbar for Thunderbird and Lightning Compatibility.

Backout Patches::

ToDo:
Come up with a reliable STR to test:

  • bug 701432 Add support for fave icons on jump list uri entries.

Addon Compatibility: I’ve been working with a SeaMonkey volunteer, Lewis G Rosenthal, to contact Firefox/Thunderbird extension authors and get them to update their extensions for SeaMonkey.

  • Paul Kolomiets, the author of Flexible Identity has added SeaMonkey compatibility to version 0.5.6 (Added to wiki last meeting).

  • I’ve made some minor changes to Select Address Book Text to get it working in SeaMonkey. Lewis will forward my changes to the author, Craig Markwardt.
  • Lewis tweaked the install.rdf for PrintingTools Thunderbird extension and tested under SeaMonkey 2.6. It seems to be fully functional, including printing from the address book. Email has been sent to the author requesting that he add SeaMonkey to the official install.rdf.
  • I’ve also received fixes to UrlParams and Quote Colors from InvisibleSmiley and uploaded these changes to my xSidebar modified extensions page.

Other:

  • Bug triage and Bug discussions.

  • End user support and PR in newsgroups and Mozillazine.

Ricardo

sgautherie

  • Completed update of changes to browser/installer/package-manifest.in.

  • Fixed (or in-progress) SeaMonkey (related) bugs:
    • bug 451871 Remove |MOZILLA_INTERNAL_API| from /suite/

    • bug 521305 mochitest-browser-chrome: browser_sanitizer.js reports |Exception… “‘JavaScript component does not have a method named: “cancel”‘ when calling method: [nsICancelable::cancel]” nsresult: “0×80570030 (NS_ERROR_XPC_JSOBJECT_HAS_NO_FUNCTION_NAMED)”|
    • bug 724446 Cleanup leftover listener from browser_page_style_menu.js, in SeaMonkey
    • bug 725132 Package jsinspector.xpt in SeaMonkey
    • bug 725529 Fix 4 “leaked window property” in SeaMonkey
    • bug 725543 Port |Bug 680550 – Handle removeAllPages more sanely in tests| to SeaMonkey
    • bug 725549 Port |Bug 663763 – Provide helper function for opening the library in tests| to SeaMonkey
    • bug 726491 Port |Bug 663630 – Remove unused places UI perf tests| to SeaMonkey
    • bug 726505 Port |Bug 507784 – Some session restore tests don’t correctly remove event listeners| to SeaMonkey
    • bug 726530 [SeaMonkey] “TEST-UNEXPECTED-FAIL | …/browser_493467.js | Saved state of allowWindowControl”
    • bug 727704 Package the wakeupservice in SeaMonkey
    • bug 726521 Port |Bug 658738 – [meta] We seem to be leaking hundreds of windows until shutdown during browser-chrome tests| to SeaMonkey
  • Fixed MailNews Core bugs:
    • bug 227633 Replace 0x0a by nsCRT::LF, 0x0d by nsCRT::CR
  • Fixed (or in-progress) Core bugs:
    • bug 285374 sync xpfe colorpicker.xml with toolkit colorpicker.xml

    • bug 718020 test_bug583889.html: “Error: uncaught exception: [object StopIteration]”
    • bug 721065 pyxpt: Report Typelib name(s) when IIDs/names differ
    • bug 725045 Fix a documentation error in specialpowersAPI.js: pushPrefEnv() param is “clear” not “remove”
    • bug 725349 Fix a few tests that miss a space before reporting expected value
    • bug 725942 mochitest-browser-chrome: browser-test.js should ignore empty console messages
    • bug 728541 [SeaMonkey] “TEST-UNEXPECTED-FAIL | chrome://mochitests/content/browser/layout/xul/test/browser_bug706743.js | an unexpected uncaught JS exception reported through window.onerror – [...] browser_bug703210.js:50″
    • bug 728628 browser_viewsourceprefs.js should not use ‘about:robots’ which is Firefox specific
    • bug 718237 [SeaMonkey] “accessible/events/test_focus_autocomplete.xul | Test timed out.” (which also causes lots of “gA11yEventListeners is undefined” on following tests)
    • bug 728538 [SeaMonkey] “TEST-UNEXPECTED-FAIL | chrome://mochitests/content/browser/dom/tests/browser/browser_ConsoleStorageAPITests.js | 0 events found, tab close is clearing the cache”
  • Fixed other projects bugs:
    • [Firefox] bug 718324 [Linux, QT] “Warning: package error or possible missing or unnecessary file: bin/chrome/icons/default/default16.png (package-manifest, 315).” (+ 2 more)

Stanimir

stefanh

Fixed:

  • bug 721529 [Mac default] Reference to non-existing chrome://global/skin/tree/item.png in searchbar.css and directory.css.

tonymec

  • New and ongoing:

    • QA (for SeaMonkey and SeaMonkey-related code, now a QA peer for SeaMonkey)

    • Nightly Tester Tools (stepped down, al-hamdullah, as caretaker; whimboo will, IIUC, be team leader; harth and I, and hopefully some others, stay around)
  • TODO:
    • Get someone to ASSIGN bug 716232 “SIGSEGV (segmentation violation) crash in Javascript at ChatZilla startup” to him/herself now that it’s known which hg changeset caused the regression

Any other business?

  • Need to review project areas

    • IanN has put out a final version of the project areas list, and will hopefully be updating the wiki this weekend.

    • We will also need to update the Mozilla-wide list of official reviewers
  • Extended Support Releases (ESR)
    • At the moment looks like that will be based off Gecko 10 so that will be 2.7 for us. Assuming we have the machines, we will also have an ESR which might help move some of those still on 2.0 up to 2.7. We’re unlikely to move to ESR until Gecko 10.0.1 or 10.0.2.

    • Our ESR should use the same branch as Firefox ESR so any Security and Stability “extended” fixes for Gecko will be picked up by the SeaMonkey ESR.
    • An ESR (Extended Security Release) may not be a given for us out of the gate. Callek thinks we should revisit that, separately, once it is clearer what MoCo’s general plans for their marketing/target/support levels etc. are.
    • mcsmurf is on the ESR mailing list is our ESR goto guy.
  • Geolocation
    • Geolocation now works out of the box. MoCo turned it on by default for all applications that build off mozilla-central.

    • For comm-beta all we need to do is (bug 494421) to add pref("geo.wifi.uri", "https://www.google.com/loc/json"); to browser-prefs.js. However we’re not even sure we are legally allowed to ship with the URL in, we might need to actually put in a pref to disable that in newer builds.

Thunderbird Meeting Minutes: 2012-02-21

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 12:00 am

Thunderbird/StatusMeetings/2012-02-21

last meeting | index | next meeting »

Thunderbird Meeting Details :

Remember to use headphones and mute yourself when not talking

Feel free to ask questions in the meeting either by speaking up or by asking them in #maildev on IRC.

Other ways to get in touch with us can be found on our communications page

Agenda

  • Who’s taking minutes? –> mconley

  • Minute taking Schedule. Talk to Standard8 for schedule changes/additions.
  • Note: this meeting is for interactive discussion. Feel free to ask questions!

Action Items

Friends of the Tree

Thanks to our Friend of the Tree. When adding someone to this section, please get their T-Shirt size, phone number (needed for shipping!) and send it to abourcier@mozilla.com that she can send them a shirt!

Thunderbird Development

For more details, see also the driver meeting notes.

Feature Work

Test Pilot
Tabs on Top
  • Some late bugs are being tracked for tabs on top (bug 728309 and bug 719008). We’re going to try to land these for 11.
Big Files
  • Currently on-track to hit our second milestone (see the Feature Page for the milestone breakdown)

Schedule and Progress

  • Dealt with chemspill releases last week, releasing 10.0.2, 10.0.2esr & 3.1.19 by last Friday.
Thunderbird 11
  • Released a beta last week, preparing for another beta this week.
Thunderbird 12
Thunderbird 13
Thunderbird 3.1.x & ESR
  • Currently altering the esr flags to match Firefox, once this is done more information coming on how we’re tracking esr releases.

Extension of the week

  • wwwtran will let you translate messages on the fly using webservices.

QA Updates

Marketing Updates

Infrastructure Update

Build / Release Update

  • Thunderbird 10.0.2, 10.0.2esr, 11.0 beta 2 build 2, 3.1.19 released

  • Some progress made on Bug 698843 – Build Thunderbird on Firefox infrastructure

Web Update

  • fixed a couple website bugs, like bug bug 726478

  • working on AOL support, ran into a blocker but Mercel fixed it relatively quickly
  • Also working on update our release notes to the new-Firefox style in bug 727975

Documentation

Support

(If you support Thunderbird or write or translate documentation to help support Thunderbird, please subscribe to the tb-support-crew mailing list and briefly introduce yourself to the list

  1. 855 new support topics (807 one week ago with the stats bug with 1 day missing) – Media:13-19Feb2012-Community_stats_for_Mozilla_Messaging.png

  2. Thunderbird 10 Support Issues – Please edit and add any issues or bugs found in TB10 and tag them tb10
  3. See this week’s Support Appendix for full Get Satisfaction metrics and other support details

Lightning Updates

Status Updates

See the Mozilla Status Board for status updates specific to developers.

Roundtable Highlights

Attendees

Mozilla Platform Meeting Minutes: 2012-02-21

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 12:00 am

Platform/2012-02-21

« previous week | index | next week »

Platform Meeting Details

  • Tuesdays – 11:00 am Pacific

  • Dial-in: conference# 95312
    • US/International: +1 650 903 0800 x92 Conf# 95312

    • US toll free: +1 800 707 2533 (pin 369) Conf# 95312
    • Canada: +1 416 848 3114 x92 Conf# 95312
  • Warp Core Vidyo Room
  • join irc.mozilla.org #planning for back channel

Contents

Notices / Schedule

  • We shipped Firefox(/ESR) 10.0.2 and Firefox 3.6.27 unthrottled late last week for a newly discovered security issue.

    • We also pushed the Firefox 3.6.27 -> 10.0.2 major prompted update again.
  • We are here on the schedule (.ics link)

    • Please continue to investigate any bugs currently tracked for FF11′s release

    • Beta 4 is going to build today (2/21)

Firefox Development

  • Paolo is killing all consumers of the synchronous favicon API (bug 713642)

  • Australis theme refresh
    • Dao has landed a revised look for the navigation toolbar buttons on Windows (bug 702225)

    • Volunteer contributor soapyhamhocks is helping implement other changes to the navigation toolbar styling for Windows: screenshot (bug 727650)
    • Jared is removing the favicon from the location bar (bug 588270)
  • Avi Halachmi, author of the “smoothwheel” extension, is helping to implement a better smooth scrolling implementation in Gecko (bug 206438)

Firefox Developer Tools

  • Breakpoint support via Source Editor in Debugger almost ready

  • Work beginning on styling and UI improvements for the Debugger
  • Web Console Async patch progressing
  • Highlighter UI Updates landing this week

Performance

  • Snappy weekly summary

  • UX tweaks from Jared for scrolling, no more “connecting…” in tab title on reload
  • IO optimization from Brian removed reliance on prefetch – start-up speed will soon be solely up to Firefox. Also working on download manager lag
  • Marco working on reducing jank from livemarks

GFX

JS

  • Incremental GC landed. Not turned on for mobile yet due to JSreftest issues.

Layout

  • We’re working on webkit-compatibility issues for Mobile web sites.

  • Currently investigating the possible use of ICU in Gecko for Internationalization features
  • Going through several performance issues related to Layout/Paint for Fennec.

Video

DOM

WebAPI

Network

  • We’ve started working on a new automated performance testing system for networking, which we’ve dubbed Stone Ridge. Test clients will run network performance tests against NeckoNet-based proxy servers, configured to mimic different network conditions such as mobile networks. Results will be displayed on a public graph server.

Identity

Plugins

Mobile

  • Working w/ GFX team on OMTC.

Accessibility

Tree Management

Security

Security Reviews Scheduled for this week

Date / Time Item
Mon Feb 20 / 13:00 PST Holiday: No Review
Wed Feb 22 / 13:00 PST Per Window Private Browsing
THU Feb 23 / 10:00 PST WebSMS bug 674725
Fri Feb 24 / 10:00 AM PST Queuey Threat Modelling Session

Calendar and Meeting details

General Meeting Details 
* IRC Channel: #security 
* Etherpad: http://etherpad.mozilla.com:9000/secreview 
* Vidyo: https://v.mozilla.com/flex.html?roomdirect.html&key=5XEMsG1ApA4b (Room 9058)
* Dial-in Info (phone): 
** In office or soft phone: extension 92 
** US/INTL: 650-903-0800 or 650-215-1282 then extension 92 
** Toronto: 416-848-3114 then extension 92 
** Toll-free: 800-707-2533 then password 369 
** Conference num 99058

For updates to meetings please see the Security Review Calendar

Security Review Needed but Unscheduled

Stability Report

Socorro

  • Small Socorro release coming tomorrow, no major changes for developers.

  • Work being started to support ESR in Socorro within this quarter.
  • bsmedberg and ted are working on some stackwalking issues that cause wrong signatures or stack frames to appear:
    • bug 726570 – MSVC2010 issues

    • bug 709209 – browser-side hang signatures (even on MSVC2005)
    • The patches in the former might fix the latter, but we don’t know for sure. Seems like they will improve stackwalking significantly in any case and might change signatures due to that.

Desktop

Firefox 10 Top Issues

  • No new signatures have cropped in 10.0.2 so far

  • bug 725945 Crash in nsCacheService::Unlock
  • bug 718389 PR_EnumerateAddrInfo – only 5 crashes so far in 10.0.2, over 4000 in the past week on 10.0.1.

Firefox 11 Top Issues

Firefox 12 Top Issues

Trunk new Issues

  • bug 728707 Crash @ DragDataProducer::Produce

  • bug 728705 Crash @ js_ValueToAtom
  • bug 728653 Crash in mozilla::storage::Connection::stepStatement @ sqlite3_extended_result_codes
  • bug 728652 Crash @ nsPlaintextEditor::InsertFromDataTransfer
  • bug 728564 Crash @ CReconstructor::AppendFillTailPairs

Mobile

Graph and Socorro work reported in:

Trunk Top Issues

  • bug 726270 – java.lang.NullPointerException: at android.widget.CursorTreeAdapter.setChildrenCursor(CursorTreeAdapter.java)

  • bug 723499 – java.lang.IllegalStateException: at android.widget.ListView.layoutChildren(ListView.java)
  • bug 729129 – crash [@ dlmalloc_walk_free_pages | dvmHeapSourceTrim]

Aurora Top Issues

  • bug 725295 – [Skia] Crash Report [@ _ZN8SkBitmapaSERKS_ ] on HTC devices

  • bug 700583 – Crash in nsPluginFile::GetPluginInfo @ pr_FindSymbolInLib
  • bug 729129 – crash [@ dlmalloc_walk_free_pages | dvmHeapSourceTrim]

Beta

  • libGLESv2_adreno200.so@<address> are the top crashes for Beta; low ADU causes high spiking with low number of crashes (9) crashes show 400/300 crashes per 100 ADU.

    • Note: This crash is fixed in Maple but does not apply to current M-C. For more details see: bug 721489 – Older Adreno 200 drivers intermittently crash when uploading RGB565 textures with glTexImage2D

Roundtable

16-February-2012

Mobile Meeting Minutes: 2012-02-15

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 12:00 am

Mobile/Notes/15-Feb-2012

Contents

Details

  • Wednesdays – 9:30am Pacific, 12:30pm Eastern, 16:30 UTC

  • Dial-in: conference# 95312
    • US/International: +1 650 903 0800 x92 Conf# 95312

    • US toll free: +1 800 707 2533 (pin 369) Conf# 95312
    • Canada: +1 416 848 3114 x92 Conf# 95312
  • irc.mozilla.org #mobile for backchannel
  • Warp Core Vidyo Room

Schedule

  • Next merge is 2012-03-13

Major Topics for This Week

Release Roadmap
Fx 11 XUL is going to Beta channel. Fx 10 XUL ESR is going to the Release channel.

Uplift Situation
We are focusing on mozilla-central and less on constant uplift. Feel free to request “aurora” and “beta” approval for important bugs. We’ll be doing a mass uplift closer to merge of other things (not critical) that we want on Aurora and Beta.

Crashes
The crash statistics are improving, but we still need to keep a focus on cleaning them up.

Maple Status
Status update from the GFX team on what’s happening in Maple, what we can expect and when we can expect it.

Stand ups

Suggested format:

  • What did you do last week?

  • What are working on this week?
  • Anything blocking you?

Please keep your update to under 2 minutes!

James W. (snorp)

Kats

  • Last week:

    • getting up to speed on new gl layers compositor

    • did some instrumenting to get some metrics from the new compositor (time spent compositing, uploading textures, waiting)
    • wrote a tool to visualize different viewports so we can quickly get an idea of whether our behaviour is correct
    • did some instrumenting to compare skia vs cairo render times using a skia-enabled build on the galaxy nexus
    • refactored a bunch of the profile-reading code in java so it’s cleaner and more efficient (bug 726382) and hopefully allows 723295 to land without triggering random failures
    • got more tests running on the maple branch
    • fixed up compiler warnings on java 1.7
  • Next week:

    • more GL layers stuff – instrumenting and finding out where time is being spent, making sure tests are passing

GBrown

Last week:

  • Robocop reviews, code cleanup

  • Bug 705192 – remotexpcshelltests.py cannot execute xpcshell via SUT agent
  • Startup performance / profiling

Next week:

  • Wrap up 705192

  • Startup performance / profiling

AlexP

Last week

  • bug 721393 – Virtual keyboard enter key doesn’t work correctly in designMode document

    • Pushed the fix
  • bug 719121 – The delete key isn’t working correctly on etherpad
    • Latest patch for bug 721393 partially fixes the issue

    • Found a possible cause of the problem: bug 725919 “Visual cursor position is different from the actual one on Etherpad”
  • Preparing for departure
    • Updated the IME Wiki page to synchronize with the latest implementation of the IME handling components

    • Discussed the IME subject with Chris Peterson, answered his questions
    • Reviewed open IME bugs

This week

  • Wrap up the assigned tasks

  • Prepare equipment for return
  • Friday is my last day at Mozilla

Chris Lord (cwiiis)

Chris Peterson

  • Last Week

    • bug 715251 – Reduce overscroll distance and janky scrolling — IMPLEMENTING REVIEW FEEDBACK

    • bug 708167 – Testing about:home without Placeholder initialization. — ON HOLD, WAITING FOR bug 723251
  • This Week

    • bug 681192 – Investigating romaxa’s patches to avoid layer invalidation when scrolling — IN PROGRESS

    • bug 706891 – Making axis scroll lock unbreakble (regression from XUL Fennec) — CHECKED IN BUT INJECTED INTERMITTENT ROBOCOP FAILURE
    • Coming up to speed on Android IME.
  • Blockers

    • bug 681192 – I need some gfx assistance testing romaxa’s patches.

    • Waiting for bug 723251 to fix placeholder screenshots before I can commit bug 708167.

GCP

  • Last week:

  • This week:
    • Finish bug 726024 Some of the desktop bookmarks are put under “Mobile Bookmarks” after profile migration

    • Fix bug 727264 java.lang.ClassCastException: java.lang.Integer at ProfileMigrator.java:196 if Background Data is turned off
    • Fix bug 721352 – Add support for batch operations in LocalDB
    • Fix more bugs related to LocalDB Content Provider.
    • Add tests for Profile Migration & SQLiteBridge
  • Blockers
    • None

Brian N

  • Done

    • Investigated/fixed issues with bug 722413 – Bookmark menu item not updated when deleting bookmark in AwesomeBar

    • bug 711578 – Session restore doesn’t work for initial Fennec session crash
    • bug 726018 – Don’t update top site screenshots when receiving 404, 500, etc results
    • bug 720509 – java.lang.NullPointerException at org.mozilla.gecko.GeckoApp.onPrepareOptionsMenu(GeckoApp.java:487)
  • Next
    • bug 725987 – Create Telemetry (opt-out) notification for Nightly and Aurora (mobile)

    • bug 725609 – Bookmarklets don’t work in Fennec Native
    • Unit tests

Sriram

  • Last Week

  • This Week
    • Landed some optimizations for startup – bug 725932

      • Lazy load about:home bug 726201

      • Use ActionBar in ICS bug 711746
      • Lazy load DoorHangerPopup bug 725930
      • Now Fennec starts up in around 1sec (less than chrome! yaayy!!) on my Nexus S running ICS
      • Investigating some more optimization options
    • Display tabs-tray faster bug 706819
    • Display Preferences faster bug 726732
    • Some trivial UI fixes bug 727300,bug 727302
  • Blockers
    • None

WesJ

Last Week:

  • Landed beginning parts of password provider bug 704682 and bug 718817

  • Fixed error with profile migrator bug 725858
  • Started work on Form history provider bug 725881
  • Started work on tests for passwords and form history providers

This week:

  • Constantly ping for the final review that password provider needs bug 718760

  • Finish form history provider
  • Finish tests for everything

LucasR

Last week

  • bug 719434 – ‘Tabs From Last Time’ not wiped on Clear History

  • bug 723103 – Properly update about:home when history is cleared
  • bug 718615 – ‘Clear history’ is broken
  • bug 723841 – Bookmarks database consistency constraints
  • bug 724348 – about:home – vertical space is wasted with only 1 or 2 thumbnails shown
  • Blog post: http://lucasr.org/?p=2643
  • Code reviews

This week

  • Database/ContentProvider unit tests

  • Perf improvements on history/bookmarks DB
  • P1/P2 bug fixing

Blockers

  • None

MBrubeck

Done:

  • bug 726863 – Use mobile-specific strings for add-on download error messages

  • bug 719684 – Show an error message when add-on download is blocked or cancelled
  • bug 723156 – Fix the back button for new windows opened by frames
  • bug 723077 – Speed up processing of option elements in FormAssistant
  • bug 724795 – Update the add-on list when a search engine is added or removed
  • Meeting with legal team about Apple’s touch event patent disclosure

Next:

  • More add-on manager work

  • Font inflation preview UI
  • Working with W3C Touch Events patent advisory group

Margaret

Done:

  • Worked on some follow-ups to bug 725171 – Show mobile/desktop bookmarks separately

  • Spent most of my time working on bug 722020 – Create proper bookmark folder UI
  • Started writing some robocop tests

Next:

  • Finish bug 722020 and its dependencies

  • Write tests!
  • Offline this afternoon for UC Berkeley Career Fair and PTO Friday

Scott (jwir3)

Last Week:

  • Assisting dbaron to troubleshoot Bug 706193: footer text on nytimes.com inflated abnormally

  • Minor security crash

This Week:

  • Bug 708187 : Titles bleed out of divs in marketwatch.com

  • P2 bugs re: font inflation
    • Bug 711418: Font inflation has no effect on www.cnn.com

    • Bug 705446: font inflates text extremely large in certain parts of the page
    • Bug 707195: news.ycombinator.com comments inflated to different sizes

Blocking:

  • None

BLassey

  • continued my war on tab screenshot performance

  • started a new war on JSON
  • refactored how we create GeckoEvents (java)
  • talked to legal about advocacy with EFF for the jail breaking exception in the DMCA

DougT

  • focusing on finding / fixing (or getting people to fix) crashes.

    • under 10 crashes per 100 adus

    • low volume means crashes per adus is a bit jumpy

MFinkle

Done:

  • Reviews

  • Media training (say it like Bill Murray says “Army training” in Stripes)
  • Investigate the “40 seconds to load awesomebar” issue. We found a few issues, including a simple fix.
  • MWC planning
  • MWC demos

Next:

  • Reviews

  • MWC stuff
  • Sleep

Josh (Arreth)

  • Last Week

    • Worked on & submitted patch for bug 723251

      • This bug fix will rely on the r+ patch for bug 711578

      • This patch will most likely need to be adjusted to include blassey’s fixes for bug 724210
  • This Week
    • Working to fix bug 727202 & 712543

      • Bug 712543 relies on fixes from bug 727202
  • Blockers
    • No completely blocking issues at the moment

Madhava

Ian Barlow

Patryk Adamczyk

Round Table

QA

  • 18 Maple Bugs reported

    • Crashers:

    • The known adreno 200 crasher one
    • bug 726838 – MAPLE: Maple branch crashes due to OOM with loading another web page and panning
    • bug 726872 – MAPLE : crash [@ LockImpl::Lock]
    • bug 727140 – MAPLE: crash [@ TouchBadMemory]
  • This week’s focus:
    • Test and Ship Fennec 11 XUL beta 3

    • Test focus on Nightly channel
    • Test focus on Maple channel
    • Help with testing MWC demos

SUMO (just a wiki update, michelle had to drop off for another meeting)

  • Last week: Worked on documentation updates and filed a couple of bugs for getting started, sync (migration), and menus

  • This week: Working on documentation updates for security, privacy, and add-ons
  • Next week: Working on documentation updates for troubleshooting, content features, and mobile landing pages

Firefox/Gecko Delivery Meeting Minutes: 2012-02-15

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 12:00 am

Firefox/Planning/2012-02-15

« previous week | index | next week »

Planning Meeting Details

  • Wednesdays – 11:00am PDT, 18:00 UTC

  • Mountain View Offices: Warp Core Conference Room
  • Toronto Offices: Fin du Monde Conference Room
  • irc.mozilla.org #planning for backchannel
  • (the developer meeting takes place on Tuesdays)

Video/Teleconference Details – NEW

  • 650-903-0800 or 650-215-1282 x92 Conf# 95312 (US/INTL)

  • 1-800-707-2533 (pin 369) Conf# 95312 (US)
  • Vidyo Room: Warp Core
  • Vidyo Guest URL
REMEMBER

These notes are read by people who weren’t able to attend the meeting. Please make sure to include links and context so they can be understood.

Contents

Actions from Last Week

  • ally to coordinate with greg jost on sync uptake metrics, and measuring the impact of the FF10 usability changes

    • See status update below!
  • laura to report on the state of persona/personas discussion
  • cheng to report back on connection reset issues with SSL
  • johnath to wrangle representation in this meeting for identity
    • Emailed and got confirmation that they will start sending representation

    • Added them to the template

Schedule & Progress on Upcoming Releases

Firefox Desktop

Release (3.6, 10)

  • 10.0.1 released (unthrottled) last Friday. Release notes here. We did not need a re-spin for 3.6.

  • We’ve pushed a prompted major update from 3.6.26 to 10.0.1 as of 2/14
    • Updated billboard with stronger copy and fixed some confusing links.

    • Cut 3.6.X ADUs by 30% since beginning of December, and hoping to cut the remaining ADUs by half in the next few months.

Beta (11)

  • Next merge date is 3/13

  • Beta 3 will be released Friday 2/17

Aurora (12)

Nightly (13)

  • Snappy

    • Killing Firefox start-up inefficiencies on Windows. Check out the details on Brian Bondy’s blog.

    • Most of the cycle collector fixes have landed. Telemetry shows a dramatic reduction in cycle collection times for Firefox 13. Olli and Andrew are investigating the remaining causes of long CC times.
    • Vladan landed a dom storage fix that should reduce the amount of main thread SQL done by content bug 714964.
    • Lots of frontend Telemetry probes are landing (see bug 671038) and already paying off as we caught a tab animation regression in bug 724349.
    • Bug bug 723561 – Create telemetry stopwatch helper to easily store/retrieve timestamp data

Firefox Mobile

  • Trunk

    • Waiting for OGL layers to land, ETA next week

    • Good stuff landing in the mean time
      • Start up improved to be faster than Chrome

      • Tab screenshot’ing for thumbnails *much* improved
      • Tab tray openning/closing improved
      • Awesomebar opening improved, especially for large profiles (40s -> 1.6s)
      • Crashes are being killed at an alarming rate (from 115 per 100 ADUs to 5 in 6 weeks)
  • Aurora
    • Trucking along with both Native and XUL builds
  • Beta
    • Going to ship XUL to the market for all devices until Native is ready for prime time
  • Release
    • Going to ship XUL 10 ESR until Native finishes its beta cycle

Other Notes:

  • current plan is for Native UI to go out to phones in Firefox 13

  • current plan is for Native Tablet UI to go out to tablets in Firefox 14
  • This plans are very much in flux, they are here for informational purposes only

Firefox Sync

  • Firefox 10 Initial Impact

    • Uptick in traffic to sumo, but no down trend in forums

      • Where can I find the code to add a device to Firefox Sync? 3x (from ui)

      • How do I sync Firefox between my desktop and mobile device? 1.5x (from ui)
      • Increases in ‘What’s Firefox Sync?’ & ‘How do I manage my Firefox Sync’
    • Metrics is looking into more quantitative numbers. No ETA yet
  • Organizational Changes/Announcements
    • Sync’s Dev Ops and Developers have been combined into one team

    • Sync’s UX/UI is now owned by Madhava, all other services UX is owned by Bryan Clark. Congrats to both of them
  • The next Sync Rapid Release meeting is coming up.
    • If there is something you would like the sync team to work on or a new idea to consider, pitch it there

    • 2pm pst, Feb 28th, vidyo room ‘services’ please email ally if you would like to be added to the zimbra invite.
  • BrowserID+Sync Authentication
    • Warning: The two sync systems will not be backwards compatible or interoperable
  • Native Sync
    • Please file bugs. Not sure how to file a good android sync bug? http://160.twinql.com/how-to-file-a-good-android-sync-bug

    • We have daily bug triage at 4pm, #androidsync
    • Old news that bears repeating:
      • Data may be lost, reordered, or corrupted. Please do not use your good profiles

      • Please remember behavior is undefined if multiple instance of Native Fennec (nightly, aurora, etc) are on a single device
      • You still cannot create an account from a mobile device
        • Though some of our contributors may change that!
  • Upcoming Releases
    • Addons being sync’ed in Firefox 11, XUL/tablet Fennec 11 (aka Beta): Addon Sync

    • Native Sync has been enabled in Nightly & Aurora (but not Beta)

Add-on Builder

  • 1.0 release has been rescheduled for next Wednesday

  • Work week for Builder team is next week

Add-on SDK

Release (1.4 -> Firefox 9, 10)

  • Looking good since last week’s hotfix

Stabilization (1.5 -> Firefox 10, 11)

  • Spun 1.5RC2 yesterday

  • Still on track to release next week, Feb 21, 2012

Development (1.6 -> Firefox 11, 12)

  • Current thinking is that bug 696533 might get us more mobile features faster – can’t tell timeframe so not adding to docs yet.

  • On track to merge to Stabilization on Feb 21, 2012

Bay Area Firefox Add-ons meetup Tuesday, February 21 6:00PM PST at the Mozilla SF Offices RSVP Here – join us!

Identity

  • Sign into the browser feature page

  • Gone through a couple of rounds of wireframes, progressing nicely (not on the feature page, will get them there soon)

Feedback Summary

Desktop

  • Firefox 10.0.1:

    • Looks like we fixed the cursor thing by fixing Java :)

    • Performance :(
    • AVG seems fixed, Norton is getting better
    • Youtube issues [1][2][3]
    • Problem with German update?: [4]
    • Report from this weekend:

Mobile

  • No new feedback updates this week, some anecdotal feedback from 10 provided to UX

  • Working on NativeUI documentation
  • Testing Aurora and Nightly and Sync set up
  • SUMO day tomorrow, to support 10.0.1

UX & User Research

Market Insights

Desktop / Platform

Google

  • The Chromium team expanded the Chromium Security Rewards Program, by increasing its scope to cover the Chromium OS.

  • The new Chrome Beta release enables GPU-accelerated rendering of 2D canvas content, and also enables WebGL acceleration for people with older GPUs using Swiftshader, a software rasterizer that Google licensed from TransGaming. This should make for significant performance improvements on systems like Windows XP.
  • Chrome’s dev channel features an updated V8 Javascript engine that offers initial support for lexical scoping, collections, weak maps, and proxies.
  • Google also released a Field Guide to Web Applications that offer a high-level, architectural overview of how to design web applications. Their HTML5Rocks site was updated, and features an excellent detailed overview of the architecture of the Chrome and Mozilla browsers.
  • Chrome 17 stable was released. 20 security bugs were fixed — 1 critical, 8 high, 5 medium, and 6 low. A significant number were detected with AddressSanitizer, a fast memory error detector.
  • Chrome’s Dev Channel release has a few interesting new features, including using Google’s servers to conduct spellchecking for entered and pasted text.
  • The Sencha team conducted an initial review of Google Chrome for Android, giving it high marks. It notes that SunSpider performance is little different than other browsers and suggests that it is now time to shelve that particular benchmark test.

Opera

  • The latest snapshot of Opera 12 offers support for Do Not Track and a substantial number of SSL performance optimizations.

Microsoft

  • Microsoft released a Critical update for MSIE 6, 7, 8, and 9. The vulnerability would allow remote code execution from a specially constructed web page. The update itself had to be updated shortly afterwards after it incorrectly reported that google.com was infected with the Blackhole Exploitation Kit.

  • MSIE 10 will allow full support for Cross-Origin Resource Sharing for XMLHttpRequests.
  • In a 9,000 word blog post, Microsoft’s Windows president Steven Sinofsky divulged a slew of details on Windows on ARM. Microsoft plans to have ARM PCs available when other Windows 8 computers are available, and the company will also include desktop versions of optimized Office 15 applications. Windows 8 ARM PCs will also never turn off, instead going into a standby mode that should last for weeks.

WebOS

  • HP released the source code to Isis, the WebOS browser, which apparently offers “unrivaled speed and standards compliance”.

W3C

  • Webmonkey has a good summary article describing the issues and positions in the debate as to whether other browsers should support -webkit-prefixed CSS properties. (Also, Tantek’s interview at A List Apart.

Mobile

Summary below, full update here and in your inbox.

  • The acquisition of Motorola Mobility by Google was approved in the US and the EU
  • Google plans to test a “next generation personal communication device”
  • The Android Market was enhanced with automatic malware scanning for apps
  • Android captured 51% of smartphone sales in 2011, iOS 24% and Symbian 12%
  • Smartphones represent only 12% of total global handsets in use today, but over 82% of total global handset traffic
  • First Intel Medfield-based Motorola handset rumoured to be announced at MWC
  • Skyfire raised almost $8 million in a round of funding which was in part sponsored by Verizon
  • More details on Windows Phone 8 revealed
  • Opera partnered with India’s third largest carrier
  • Dolphin browser 3.5 was released on iOS

Marketing, Press & Public Reaction

Desktop

  • New 3.6 Upgrade Billboards went live yesterday (thanks Pascal and L10n!)

    • As discussed above, strengthened copy and upgrade experience, Cut ADUs by 30% since December.
  • Working on website collateral for next releases
  • Display ads continuing for another few weeks
  • Starting the blog process for next Aurora and Beta

Mobile

  • MWC demo scripts revisions

  • Finding agency for FF11 launch programs

Press

Questions, Comments, FYI

Actions this week

  • cheng to dig into connection reset issues with SSL

  • irina to let us know whether dolphin for iOS uses Sync

Older Posts »

Powered by WordPress