Firefox/Gecko Delivery Meeting Details
- Wednesdays – 11:00am PST, 18:00 UTC
- Mountain View Offices: Warp Core Conference Room
- Toronto Offices: Fin du Monde Conference Room
- 650-903-0800 or 650-215-1282 x92 Conf# 8605 (US/INTL)
- 1-800-707-2533 (pin 369) Conf# 8605 (US)
- irc.mozilla.org #planning for backchannel
- (the developer meeting takes place on Tuesdays)
These notes are read by people who weren’t able to attend the meeting. Please make sure to include links and context so they can be understood.
- actions from last week:
- schedule and progress on upcoming releases
- review highlights and notices
- respond to questions and concerns
Schedule & Progress on Upcoming Releases
Firefox 4 (Desktop)
- Beta 8 post-mortem will likely be sometime next week. Christian will send an email around and talk about it during the Monday meeting
- Plan to do a quick, date-driven beta 9 (for reals this time)
- Plan to code freeze this Friday, 2011-01-07
- Weekend will hopefully shake any issues out
- Branch and build on Monday, 2011-01-10 if no major issues are found
- If issues are found, day-for-day slip on the builds
- Release to beta audience on Thursday, 2011-01-13
- Have you used Beta 8? It’s awesome. We need to ship this. May require re-scoping features such as:
- Hardware Acceleration
Firefox 4 (Mobile)
- Humming along, announced the blocker/non-blocker freeze split
- Code freeze for non-blockers is now 2011-01-11 (1 week away)
- Code freeze for blockers is still 2011-01-17 (2 weeks away)
- Final release is still planned for 2011-02-08
- The 1.0a7 release will ship this week, it’s going through the QA paces now.
- 1.0a8 finalization imminent – there are a few remaining items to discuss with Kevin about the new Skywriter build.
- Worked on Q1 goals with Fligtar – we agreed on what level of AMO integration to shoot for this quarter. The final goal set will be published today.
- Major New features: a first try at opening our database, ability to copy user agent per message, submission page for major release users
- Feedback page is up on staging (can only get to it if your user agent is associated to the latest major release)
- ETA: 1/21
- input.mozilla.com has received 1,000,000 pieces of feedback
- Input 2.2 went out on 12/28 (Thanks wenzel!) with a bigger set of known manufacturers and devices for Mobile Firefox
- scheduled to freeze January 19 and ship January 26
- scope is small; not many changes; but gets us back to regular release cycle
- focus is on progress on E10S integration
Highlights / Notices
- Flash artifacts and Amazon Lightning Deals FIXED.
- Copy/Paste, Search Box and Tab Button are new to our watch list of concerns.
- Smorgasboard of issues around Facebook Flash Apps
|Flash-related crashes||40-50 just flash related (not all crashes)||2020|
|Search Box not working||229||229+216||bug 620672|
|Netflix streaming player doesn’t work OSX||103||103||was bug 598406|
|New Tab Button on Tab bar doesn’t work||200||200|
|Google’s Bodybrowser WebGL demo is not compatible with Firefox 4||221||133||bug 621718|
|Home button moved to the right of the search bar on load||924|| bug 622141|
Questions and Concerns
- Any questions for Axel on switching on l10n-merge and updating compare-locales? 
- We don’t use l10n-merge on branches, correct?
- How would failure show? Unable to build/repack? Incorrect strings in localized builds?
- How easy to rollback if needed?
- Is there any way to test in a RelEng/non-local staging environment first?
- For beta10, want to test MU from FF3.6.x -> FF4.0. Any objections?
- For SUMO documentation, are there any big changes left to happen between now and the final Firefox 4 release (e.g. tabs in title bar) that would likely require explanations to be rewritten or screenshots to be retaken?
- Any info on end-of-life on FF3.5? Not yet.
- When will “more scary” FF3.0 MU dialog be switched on? Still being localized.
Press & Public Reactions
- Mozilla Says Its Time To Create Firefox 4 Add-Ons Now
- Firefox Now Ahead of IE in Europe
- Mozilla Passwords Leaked, Risk Minimal