SeaMonkey Meeting Details
- Time: 15 May, 2012, 12:00 UTC
- (8am Eastern, 1pm UK, 2pm Central Europe, 8pm Hong Kong)
- Location: #seamonkey IRC channel
- Further Read: Basics
- Who’s taking minutes? -> Ratty
- Nominees for Friends of the Fish Tank:
(who needs to do what that hasn’t been recorded in a bug) We should assign people to the open items.
- IanN to arrange with Jeff to send a tee-shirt or something to Serge (FotFT).
- No response from
The Scarlet PimpernelSerge to email, will try email again.
- No response from
Status of the SeaMonkey Buildbot Master and Tree
- ewong and Callek are looking into building on MSVC2010 by Friday.
- tonymec is worried about status of trunk l10n: 7 languages not built since Apr 27, the other 14 currently only on Linux. This is probably related to the server moves going on.
- 2.9b4 shipped April 19
- 2.9 shipped April 24
- 2.9.1 shipped April 30
- 2.10b1 shipped May 12
Extensions Compatibility Tracking
- See Basics page. Please only list current changes here.
- Addon Compatibility Listings
- Nothing special this time.
- DOM Inspector Release Schedule (crussell)
- bug 746784 Predictable release schedule for development and localization.
- The last six weeks of a release cycle are for localizers no string changes will occur then. Localization happens on a branch (DOMI_2_0_12 right now) and concurrent development happens on default. Right now, DOM Inspector is set to ship with: de, el, en-GB, en-US, fr, ru, sk, sv-SE.
- Serge has filed some bugs so that the relevant changes to pull the right branch are in place. See bug 732749 (client.py: review SeaMonkey policy about which extension revisions are packaged).
- So in theory we could work out the correct tag from the Gecko version of the repos we’re building in? It’s not tagged it’s just a branch. To get on the right branch:
hg clone http://hg.mozilla.org/dom-inspector cd ./dom-inspector hg update DOMI_2_0_12
- It is to be hoped that our build team (Serge, Callek, ewong) can sort it out so it is fairly automated rather than having to tweak the client.py every 6 weeks.
2.x (Last, Current, Next)
- 2.9 had ~73,300 ADU by last Tuesday and 2.9.1 had ~53,600 downloads so far (2.8 reached ~203,100 downloads).
- Of the released versions, as of last Tuesday, we have 13.7% on 2.0, 5.1% on 2.1-2.3, 9.5% on 2.4-2.6, 4.4% on 2.7, 15.8% on 2.8 and 51.5% on 2.9. So, in the last four weeks, ~5k (an additional 4% of ADU) have migrated to 2.7 or above.
- Still a large, but slowly decreasing, chunk of users on 2.0.x.
- Figure out what is preventing people from moving from 2.0.x to the latest versions.
- Some people cannot upgrade due to system requirements (OS version, processor capabilities etc.)
- Perhaps putting resources into getting certain extensions working with SM 2.4 and above (those that won’t work with SM 2.7 automatically due to compatible-by-default extensions).
- Still need volunteers to look at what is keeping people at below 2.4. IanN could try knocking something up and send it round members lists for polishing but he’s not on all the channels (mozillazine, etc) to post it to when finished.
- Are some Linux distributions are still stuck on 2.0? We have data on OSes and OS versions in the raw data in the Mozilla metrics.
- metrics.mozilla.org now provides us a breakdown of versions against OS.
- There seems to be a very small number of 2.0.x users on OSes not supported by later versions. We even have some users on windows 7 using 2.0x! Fortunately Windows 8 users are at least using 2.7.
- Darwin 9.8 is last version with PPC support, so those people may stuck on old versions because of that.
- For OSX/PPC I wonder if someone from the community could try building a contributed “TenFourMonkey” based on the patch sets from TenFourFox plus TenFourBird [Ratty].
- SeaMonkey 2.6.1 for a PowerPC/G4 on Mac OS 10.5.x. IanN says we should advertise that more (and other contributed builds).
- Ian has done some working on comparing profile of 2.0.x users against 2.9 ones.
- Split between OS for 2.9 is Windows 92.82%, Linux 2.53%, MacOS 4.65% and for 2.0.x is Windows 85.37%, Linux 5.55%, MacOS 9.08%.
- For those using 2.0.x on MacOS about 39% are on OSX 10.4 or above, whereas for 2.9 it is about 82%.
- For those using 2.0.x on Linux about 98% are on Kernel 2.6, whereas for 2.9 it is about 69% (31% on 3.0 or above).
- For those using 2.0.x on Windows about 37% are on Vista/7/2008, a further 62% are on XP/2003, whereas for 2.9 it is about 50% on Vista/7/2008 and 49% on XP/2003.
- See Basics page for the usual reminders.
- One tracked 2.5 issue still open.
- 2.1 through 2.7 have NOT included the ka (Kartvelian aka Georgian) locale. The last release with ka locale shipped was 2.0.14 and the ka l10n maintainers have not yet updated for changes in later SeaMonkey versions.
- Callek now needs to morph bug 667147 into removing |ka| from our [current] automation entirely (all-locales). Callek will look at best locale to transition any ka users to.
- Plan is to migrate ka users to en-US with a english dialog saying they are out of date, and a link to the all-locales page if there is a language they understand better. Current ADU of ka alone is 3-5 individuals, so low impact.~Callek
- Callek and ewong were working on this but they didn’t manage to get this done by the time 2.9 shipped. No new ETA unfortunately.
- One regression issue noted for 2.8: bug 735946 Browser is not not focused when opening links from external applications. Fixed on 2.9+.
Feature List, Planning
Bug statistics for last two (full) weeks: 38 new, 26 fixed, 42 triaged.
- Good triaging effort.
- See Feature List page for major wanted/needed features.
Roundtable – Personal Status Updates
Status Updates from developers – what are you working on, what’s the progress, any other comments? (feel free to add yourself to the list if your name is missing and you have interesting status).
[RelEng] Released SeaMonkey 2.9.1:
- bug 750014 Throttle 2.9 Updates to Manual Only until 2.9.1 goes live.
- bug 750021 (SM2.9.1) Tracking bug for build and release of SeaMonkey 2.9.1.
- bug 640464 Develop a way for tests in mozilla-central to be overridden in a suite build.
- bug 741082 [sea-win32-02] “create aus previous upload dir failed”.
- bug 746208 Investigate continuing TBPL service for SeaMonkey.
- bug 748244 ADU breakdown by language.
- Migrate the SeaMonkey Projects blog from Mozillazine to Mozilla Hosted.
- bug 667327 – Data Manager Allows Passwords to Be Copied Without Input of Master Password
- bug 408834 – Page Info violates XUL box model.
- Clueless as to what stage this bug is in:
- bug 745847 – “No branch_id for a branch_name ‘SeaMonkey-Release’ can be found.
- Working On:
- Usual testing, reviewing and commenting.
- bug 720661 Display account central when no default account / no accounts setup
- bug 747765 Cannot add/remove Print icon in Composer toolbar
- bug 103684 RFE: Implement direct ordering of filters (insert new filter at the current position / above the selected filter) – SM part
- bug 749962 Fix spelling of color in chatzilla.dtd
- bug 754065 Port |bug 744444 – delete CPP_PROG_LINK, purify/quantify targets| and |bug 606145 part 1 – Properly link host programs written in C++|
- bug 749985 Add en-GB localisation for ChatZilla
- bug 749989 Add en-GB localisation for Venkman
- Checked in with rs but waiting for review:
- bug 725093 Update en-GB for Gecko 12.0 (mozilla-aurora)
- bug 725109 Update en-GB for Firefox 12.0 (mozilla-aurora)
- bug 725111 Update en-GB for Editor 12 (comm-aurora)
- bug 725121 Update en-GB for Thunderbird 12.0 (comm-aurora)
- bug 725179 Update en-GB for SeaMonkey 2.9
- bug 725187 Update en-GB for SeaMonkey 2.9 Help
- bug 725363 Update en-GB for Calendar/Lightning 1.4
- bug 747345 Update en-GB for Gecko 13
- bug 747358 Update en-GB for Firefox 13
- bug 747360 Update en-GB for Editor 13
- bug 749952 Update en-GB for Thunderbird 13
- bug 749955 Update en-GB for SeaMonkey 2.10 (2 patches)
- bug 749959 Update en-GB for Calendar/Lightning 1.5
- Waiting for review on:
- Waiting for additional review on:
- Reviewed and waiting for feedback from mobile peer:
- bug 689253 Update en-GB for Mobile 10.0 (comm-aurora)
- Working on:
- To Do:
- bug 639395 Get cmd_fontSize to reflect current state of selected content / content at caret.
- Create FAQ for Friends of the Fish Tank.
- Knock something up finding out why users are not upgrading to 2.4+ and send it around members lists for polishing.
- Help get composer standalone builds working with –enable-tests.
- bug 753050 Port |bug 746859 – Add a play icon to the click-to-play placeholder| to Modern
- bug 751253 Reference to non-existing dictionaryGeneric.png in mozapps/extensions/newaddon.css
- bug 750855 Port |bug 728168 – Replace old synchronous favicons calls in feeds|
- bug 750226 Add zh-TW to “official builds” and “language packs” list in SeaMonkey Download & Releases page
- bug 750028 Update SeaMonkey website for 2.9.1
- bug 747788 Update SeaMonkey website for 2.9
- bug 747519 Port new doorhanger options from |bug 711618 – implement basic click to play permission model|
- bug 747155 Update SeaMonkey website for 2.9 Beta 4
- bug 738247 Create/Update 2.9 Release Notes
- bug 567518 Consider supporting or switching to SSL Google search (https)
- bug 721474 Port |bug 575830 Image zoom (Page zoom) is reset when I switch tabs| to SeaMonkey.
- bug 732027 Port |bug 575955 Replace internal usage of old transactions shim, add a new toolkit test| to SeaMonkey.
- bug 658280 Switch Profile does not Prompt to Save existing Session Restore.
- bug 745447 XUL progress meter layout should match HTML.
- bug 749893 favicon of previous page is displayed on tab when you hit back button.
- bug 752505 Copy Image broken on Nightly.
- bug 707305 Re-enable building with –enable-incomplete-external-linkage.
- bug 738228 Option to display used font faces [DOMi].
- bug 746166 Remove use of cmd_backgroundColor from comm-central.
- bug 701432 Add support for fave icons on jump list uri entries.
- bug 747774 The Windows 7 Jumplist is using the mailbiff icon, should use html-file.ico instead.
- bug 748991 The Find in Page Dialog does not vertically center the highlighted result like the findbar does.
- bug 752336 Location Bar doesn’t revert back to the correct url when you enter text then shift-middle click GO to open in a new tab.
- bug 753272 bustage fix: make package fails due to bug 749018.
- Lightning Integration /Support:
- bug 731264 Support with multiple toolboxes in MailNews due to Lighting Calendar and Task Tabs.
- bug 751217 In SeaMonkey, the Delete button in the Lightning Task Actions Toolbar doesn’t have an icon because it uses mail-toolbar.png.
- bug 753683 Simplify SeaMonkey handling of Lightnings customizable toolbars, Lightning part.
- bug 694786 Remove hardcoded icon paths from notification.xml. Fixes the following as well:
Needs branch approval:
- bug 751081 Fix typo from bug 595810 (chrome://global/skin/icons/question64.png should be chrome://global/skin/icons/question-64.png instead) [Branches only patch from bug 694786]
- bug 663343 The “List all Tabs” menu should visually identify which tabs are on-screen (rather than scrolled off) [Needs UI consensus].
- bug 751922 Asynchronously add favicons to back/forward and history menus.
- Port Thunderbird bug 360800 MDN confirmation dialog does not say which addresses the receipt will be sent to (can be multiple).
- Spelling Preferences: Parse spellchecker dictionary names as BCP 47 language tags.
- Did some reviews and coding mentoring.
- Bug triage and Bug discussions.
- End user support and PR in newsgroups and Mozillazine.
- Fixed (or in-progress) SeaMonkey (related) bugs:
- bug 504730 [SeaMonkey] mochitest-browser-chrome, test_idcheck.xul: venkman.xul leaks 375 kB
- bug 635825 [SeaMonkey] mochitest-5: reenable test_notifications.html and test_prompt.html
- bug 647875 [SeaMonkey] mochitest-chrome: investigate test_crash_submit.xul failure, then reenable this test
- bug 730663 Port |Bug 708690 – Signed MAR files do not protect against applying an update for the wrong product| to SeaMonkey
- bug 739041 Port |Bug 482911 – [HTML5] Re-implement bookmarks.html parsing using the HTML5 parser| to SeaMonkey. (test_384370.js + 3 other failures)
- bug 743692 Port |Bug 493557 – “Recent Tags” and “Recently Bookmarked” are flipped when smart bookmarks are updated| to SeaMonkey
- bug 748610 [SeaMonkey, 2.10+] “Error: package error or possible missing or unnecessary file: bin/distribution/extensions/debugQA@mozilla.org.xpi”
- bug 749106 Port |Bug 746837 – Fix sessionstore to handle an exception thrown when attempting to focus a window that has been navigated| to SeaMonkey
- bug 749114 Port |Bug 737821 – [Firefox] Files which are already bundled with xulrunner are listed in package-manifest| to SeaMonkey
- bug 750656 Port |Bug 664918 – Infrastructure for media stream graph processing| to SeaMonkey
- bug 752211 Port bug 745254 to SeaMonkey
- bug 752216 Port |Bug 641892 – Support showing multiple popup notification icons at the same time| to SeaMonkey
- bug 752456 Port |Bug 751334 – Redundant TabView.init call in restoreWindow leaks the browser window when the window closes before delayedStartup was called| to SeaMonkey
- bug 753613 Stop using –disable-optimize for –enable-debug builds, in SeaMonkey
- bug 747668 Port |Bug 495277 – autocomplete.xml should not use new Function()| to SeaMonkey
- bug 752548 Use capturing phase for notification.xml handlers
- Fixed (or in-progress) MailNews Core bugs:
- bug 745998 Port |Bug 739132 – –disable-necko-wifi causes “Error: package error or possible missing or unnecessary file: bin/components/necko_wifi.xpt”| to SeaMonkey
- bug 718190 Intermittent orange on Windows | TEST-UNEXPECTED-FAIL | test_over2GBMailboxes.js (NS_ERROR_FILE_NO_DEVICE_SPACE)
- Fixed Core bugs:
- Fixed other projects bugs:
- [cZ] bug 748631 Bump ChatZilla compatibility for Firefox 15.0a1 / SeaMonkey 2.12a1
- [DOMi] bug 748634 Bump DOM Inspector compatibility for Firefox 15.0a1 / SeaMonkey 2.12a1 / Thunderbird 15.0a1 / (Gecko) Toolkit 15.0a1
- [Venkman] bug 738564 Venkman compatibility: Use ‘.*’ instead of ‘a1′ syntax, to support *-aurora/beta/release (but not *-central)
- [Venkman] bug 748625 Bump Venkman compatibility for Firefox 15.0a1 / SeaMonkey 2.12a1 / Thunderbird 15.0a1 / (Gecko) Toolkit 15.0a1
- No change.
Any other business?
- Geolocation now works out of the box. MoCo turned it on by default for all applications that build off mozilla-central.
- For comm-beta all we need to do is (bug 494421) to add pref("geo.wifi.uri", "https://www.google.com/loc/json"); to browser-prefs.js. However we’re not even sure we are legally allowed to ship with the URL in, we might need to actually put in a pref to disable that in newer builds.
- No news to date. Callek will have to reach out to his MoCo legal contact again soonish.
- Test failures
- qawanted, especially on Linux and MacOSX specific issues: reproducing and reporting would already help.
- Serge says that on Linux and MacOSX, he just needs someone to actually run the tests and report what they see (screen, console, etc). For example, there is a Mac test about Ctrl+W not working. This should be so trivial.
- tonymec suggests that any enthusiastic user, even non-technical, should be able to do some testing (litmus?) and not be scared by technical language and such.
- IanN suggests reaching out to the user community using the newsgroups and forums.
- Serge to do a write up and send it to Ratty to propagate to the community.
- Ratty is still waiting for Serge.