Meeting Notes Meetings notes from the Mozilla community


Mozilla Platform: 2014-03-25

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 12:00 am

Hot Bugs

(Important bugs for which we need to find owners or additional help. If known, please include suggested team or knowledge needed to advance the bug.)

Orange Factor
  • mochitest-bc continues to be extremely timeout-prone. Evaluating options like splitting devtools into a separate suite (bug 984930), pushing harder on chunking work (bug 819963 and deps) which jmaher has gotten little support on, closing the trees OOMpocalypse-style, etc.


The Need To Know

(Release and system issues that may impact engineering this week.)

Notices/Schedule (lsblakk/sylvestre)

  • 28.0.1 mobile shipped!
  • 29b2 will ship shortly if no critical issue found
  • Hot fix done for 27 & 28 because of bug 985627 (safebrowsing)
Next Merge: April 28, 2014 Next Release: April 29, 2014
Central: 31 Aurora: 30 Beta: 29 Release: 28
21 bugs (?? bugs last week) 81 bugs (?? bugs last week)
Unresolved Aurora 30 Trackers (non-security, not tracked for Beta) Unresolved Beta 29 Trackers (non-security)

Build Changes (gps)

(Build changes of which engineers should be aware.)

RelEng (catlee)

(Repo, test, and other information for engineers from the release engineering team.)

Upcoming Outages/Upgrades

(System outages/upgrades and tree closures that impact engineering.)

Team Stand-ups

(In <2 mins, what did your team accomplish last week, on what is your team working on this week, and on what, if anything, is your team blocked? No questions during the stand-ups. All questions should be asked during the roundtable.)

Developer Tools (robcee)

DOM (jst/overholt)

  • last minute Q1 goals finishing
    • cross-thread cycle collection
    • web components
    • <picture>
    • Service Workers (+ Push)
    • TCP Socket (JS -> C++)
  • mccr8 almost ready to land ICC on trunk preffed on by default

Firefox Mobile (mfinkle/blassey)

  • We spun a 28.0.1 to provide a fix for a h.264 playback issue; thank to those who made that happen bug 963621. We’re looking into bug 987223
  • Fixed as of Fx30, thanks gfx team for the turnaround! bug 983208 Regression: Panning and zooming yields flickering and or vanishing content
  • Lots of progress made on figuring out ServiceWorkers on Android, working through startup issues
  • Also in progress/partially landed bug 928096 – UI for Tab streaming

Firefox OS Devices/Porting (ericchou)

<Read Only>

  • Device porting (Gonk team)
  • Bluetooth (members: Shawn Huang, Ben Tian, Jamin Liu, Jocelyn Liu)
    • No update. Work on issues and new APIs.
  • Media Playback (members: Bruce Sun, Blake Wu, Star Cheng)
    • 1.3+/1.3T+/1.4+ bug fixing
      • bug 984834 – Video playback glitch observed when device resumes after suspend (fixed from Gaia)
      • bug 977797 – [B2G][Video] crash in android::MediaBuffer::release (investigated and in the end it’s was set to Resolved Invalid)
      • bug 975955 – the audio gaps after lock screen (landed)
      • bug 983539 – Music and ringtone may appear at the same time if an incoming call occurs while listening to music – (investigated and vendor took this over.)
  • Device Storage & Stability (members: Alan Huang, Alphan Chen)
    • Alan takes the analysis job of Tarako issues.
    • Alphan has started to work on Feature Detection API implementation (bug 983502).

Firefox OS Media Apps (hema)

<Read Only>

  • Team is neck-deep into getting the big list of madai camera features ready and landed with partner contributions. We are in the process of merging 12+ features from branch into master early this week — when features look stable on master, the plan is to uplift it into 1.4
  • Also addressing blocking bugs from 1.3, 1.3T, 1.4 releases — gallery and music audio channel related issues. Engineers from Taipei are helping with these fixes.

Firefox OS Performance (mlee)

    • Flame (Mozilla FxOS Reference Device)
      • Power Perf: Has a switchable USB charger, so we can take power measurements while the phone is plugged in via USB.
      • Automation: Has a unique serial number, which allows multiple devices to be plugged into the same host PC.
      • These two features make it possible to use it for power regression testing on a large-scale basis
    • Mercurial Bisect Bug
      • Dave Huseby conclusively showed last week that mercurial’s topographic sort for bisecting BREAKS when the “oldest” end of the bisect range isn’t a common ancestor.
      • If you get a message telling you to use “hg bisect –extend” you have to re-run your entire bisect using the common ancestor it gives you. See bug 960224 for details.
      • Dave has a blog post in the works to explain all of the details (with pretty graphs) and why mercurial breaks.
      • Find Dave (:huseby) on IRC if you hit this problem.
      • git bisecting

Firefox OS Telephony/WIFI/NFC (kenhkchang)

<Read Only>

  • bug 984919 – [RIL][DSDS] New calls an inactive SIM when there is an active SIM should be rejected
  • bug 889737 – [MMI] Unify both sendMMI() and dial() functions
  • bug 983064 – [Sora][Message][MMS]There isn’t “x-wap-profile” in MMS log.
  • bug 976897 – [Sora][Message][MMS]The MMS sending too long time sometimes.
  • bug 959434 – [B2G][NFC]Support secure element for NFC daemon.
  • bug 978027 – [B2G] Need to implement API for getCdmaPrlVersion.
  • bug 906164 – mozHasPendingMessage() should queue messages even when app is running
  • bug 933588 – B2G NFC: Rewrite NFC Worker in C++.
  • bug 980701 – [B2G][Gaia][System][Buri] The proximity sensor activates unnecessarily when not in a call causing glitchy behavior.
  • bug 949675 – Support HTTP->Rtsp Channel redirects.
  • bug 971593 – [RTSP] Resource leak of HTMLMediaElement containing RTSP media resource
  • bug 975778 – [B2G] [Emulator] Support CDMA_FLASH command for Cdma call waiting and 3way calling senarion
  • bug 984326 – [B2G] [RIL] [CDMA] call waiting isn’t working properly. The 2nd remote party cannot hear voice.
  • bug 960426 – Support Network Information API in Firefox OS
  • bug 985892 – Enable UICC Secure Element on Nexus 5.

Firefox OS Systems – Platform (timdream)

<Read Only>

Meeting note

Team summary

  • Blocker count is now at 12, some of them are owned by other teams (in Gaia::Settings)
  • Working with Joe, Ivan on a resolution of bug 975343 (DSDS info in device info in Settings – one last unowned 1.4 blocker)
  • 1.3T: Dominic is working on bug 987022 as an workaround to memory constraint in Tarako.
  • keyboard2: All code have been converted to constructor pattern; currently working on tests and layout loading.
  • 3rd-party keyboard: OOP enabled on master/1.5.
  • Copy-paste: No update; will start working only after Gecko have WIP patch.
  • lock screen: Modularization (LockScreenWindow etc) to be landed this week. Next: move to an independent pre-load app. Need to sync with madai partner on what they need.
  • Window Management: Landing bug 961800 (Child window factory; haida related work)
  • Build script: The patch introducing an objdir to Gaia bug 897352 is ready but need to resolve some Windows situration.
  • System2: bubble-tea patches is being landed individually instead, more bug WIP.
  • Setting2: AMD patch landed, MVVM patch to land this week and panels to be moved next.

GFX (milan)

  • Graphics team is back from the sequestered “tiling on B2G” work. We are catching up, it may take time to get to your items. Just let us know.
  • Graphics work week coming up next week. The schedule is in the works, but the goals and sessions are filling up:

Identity (jedp)

<Read Only>

  • Cloud Services workweek in MV, Mar 31 – Apr 4
  • Firefox Accounts on FxOS (spenrose)
    • Core UI is now in gaia master
    • So start developing your apps with FxA signin!
  • Sync (ckarlof)
    • Please keep testing beta and nightly

JS (naveed)

<Read Only>

NOTE: JavaScript work week this week in Toronto: Agenda

NOTE: Part of the team was out last week for GDC

  • Compiler (JIT)
    • bug 948229: Landed removal of inline-frame-profiling from Ion
  • Garbage Collection
    • n/a
  • Front End and Other
    • bug 983577: TypedObject array sequential map significantly slower than Array map
    • bug 983486: Landed code to collect parallel arenas between iterations (Bug 983486)

Layout (jet/dbaron)

<Read Only>

Layout team Q2 goals draft (send feedback to jet:)

  • Table Rendering with DisplayLists
  • Layout to Moz2D
  • GFx work items
    • {Q2?} APZC Desktop
    • E10S BasicCompositor
    • GFx tiling
    • Accelerated Filters
      • spec work
      • shader & support work
  • Animations & Transitions
    • transitions/animations spec editing
    • transitions refactoring to match new spec (bug 960465)
    • frame reconstruction (bug 625289)
  • OMTA on non-B2G Platforms (bug 980770)
    • test_animations covering OMTA
    • fix correctness bugs (cascading, etc.)
    • turning on on other OMTC platforms (Mac/Android)
  • Web Animations
    • provide an API for querying basic properties of running CSS animations/transitions
  • Ship and/or unprefix:
    • position:sticky
    • Font-features that need fallback support (eg. small-caps)
  • 3D Transforms
    • interop bugs and spec improvement (bug 976365)
    • implement preserve-3d proposal
    • perf work
    • {Q2?} plane splitting
  • {Q2?} CSS object-fit/object-position
  • CSS Fonts
  • font load events
  • {Q2?} unicode-range
  • Font Inflation and Reflow-on-Zoom
    • both implementation bug fixing and spec work
    • -moz-text-size-adjust
  • {Q2?} CSS Filters (project with Adobe)
  • {Q2?} CSS Masking (project with Adobe)
  • {Q2?} CSS Compositing (project with Adobe)
  • ImageLib
    • {Q2?} RasterImage for multiple images
    • Media Fragments support

Media (mreavy)

<Read Only>

  • First MediaStreamGraph refactors about to start landing
  • Those will enable moving the echo cancellation to getUserMedia (bug 694814) which should continue improving AEC quality. Those patches are up for review.
  • May experimentally turn on noise reduction in getUserMedia globally. Adjustable via media.peerconnection.noise_enabled
  • Work continuing with Cisco on OpenH264, starting to involve other teams. Target is Firefox 33.
  • Expecting to land update of code (latest stable branch) to match what will be in Chrome 34. Target is next week.
  • Working to improve Opus performance on FxOS

Necko (dougt/jduell)

  • New landing date for HTTP cache v2 is early May
    • we may need help if your code is made orange by cache2 and it’s doesn’t appear to be our fault 🙂
  • HTTP/2 draft 10 in review
  • 10 year old Download manager bug (bug 237623) getting close–we may start to report incomplete transfers as an error to necko consumers

Performance (vladan)

  • Vladan on PTO starting Wednesday, April 2nd (next week) to Friday, April 18th. Direct all inquiries to Avi Halachmi (:avih <>)

The files above show up in more than 50% of Telemetry main-thread I/O submissions. The reported I/O is done outside startup and shutdown

  • bug 935482: Starting work on detecting new sources of main-thread I/O in automated tests
  • bug 970495: Switch to use the native OS.File read() – startup time benefit
  • bug 962573: New crop of Firefox power-usage bugs
  • Consider using, a StackOverflow style forum for Gecko platform questions

Seceng (mmc)

<Read Only>

  • bug 985627 – Parts of application reputation hit stable in FF 28, had to get rolled back in a hotfix because of network side effects
  • bug 985623 – Trying again in FF 29
  • Lightbeam 1.0.9 out, with fixes for Australis and data uploading

Shumway (mbx)

  • “Are We Flash Yet?” gallery to preview Shumway content without installing Shumway add-on:
  • New WebGL compositor coming soon
  • New ActionScript->TypeScript->JavaScript bindings

WebAPI (overholt)

  • baku has been porting DataStore to C++, starting with DataStore service
  • bent is working on PBackground (a top-level IPDL protocol) and getting IDB ported to it
  • janv has been re-working our internal quota manager API and moving it to PBackground

Quality Programs

(An opportunity to hear about status with the various quality programs that do not have a formal team structure.)

MemShrink (njn)

  • Firefox’s start-up memory consumption, as measured by AWSY, has almost doubled in the past two years. While this isn’t reason to panic, it is worth investigation. This dev-platform thread discusses the contribution of new system compartments, and whether they can be avoided.

OrangeFactor (ryanvm)

  • Past week’s OrangeFactor: 8.63 (Previous Week: 4.09).
  • 20 intermittent failures fixed in the last week – List – Thanks!.

Stability (kairo/bsmedberg)

  • Overall numbers are getting into the normal range, though Aurora still needs more uptake and beta seems to be somewhat on the high side – we’re still investigating.
  • Watch Planet Mozilla for a soon-to-come post from KaiRo on Effectiveness of the Stability Program (with long-term crash graphs).


(Comments and questions that arise during the course of the meeting or otherwise do not have a section.)

  • (dholbert): Introduce Kip (Kearwood Gilbert) recent hire on Layout team, out of Vancouver

<Read only beyond this point>

Mailing List Threads

(Threads that are likely to be of interest to engineering from various mailing lists.)

Good Reads

(Links to blog posts, books, videos, etc. that you think will be of interest to others.)

irc #planning Log From This Meeting

13:42 KaiRo: bsmedberg: any audible from you on stability for the platform meeting?
13:42 bsmedberg: no
13:42 KaiRo: thanks
13:43 KaiRo: cpeterson: no audible from stability today
13:43 cpeterson: ok
13:55 cpeterson: is anyone joining the Engineering meeting from MV?
13:56 cpeterson: dougt ^
13:59 davidb: �we need MV on first
14:01 bsmedberg: where's SF?
14:02 RyanVM|sheriffduty: dholbert: ooo, what's the new MTV room naming scheme?
14:02 RyanVM|sheriffduty: cpeterson: give the all-clear here when we're good to log back in?
14:02 robcee: ok bai let us know when we can / should / if rejoin
14:02 cpeterson: everyone can log back in now
14:03 RyanVM|sheriffduty: tries to discern what the green screen in the background at MV is
14:06 dougt: cpeterson: yes
14:06 cpeterson: dougt: nm
14:06 dveditz: mtg notes for those looking:
14:07 dveditz: RyanVM|sheriffduty: there are 4 "quadrants" in MV for conference names.
14:08 dveditz: one is "space" (mostly solar system objects, plus a couple closer stars), another is super-heros, another is star-wars, and the one closest to the platform team area is Sci-fi TV shows
14:16 overholt: cpeterson means "Lovely Toronto"
14:52 Disconnected

Engineering Meeting Details

  • Tuesday 2014-03-2511:00 am Pacific Standard Time
  • Dial-in: conference# 98411
    • US/California/Mountain View: +1 650 903 0800, x92 Conf# 98411
    • US/California/San Francisco: +1 415 762 5700, x92 Conf# 98411
    • US/Oregon/Portland: +1 971 544 8000, x92 Conf# 98411
    • CA/Vancouver: +1 778 785 1540, x92 Conf# 98411
    • CA/Toronto: +1 416 848 3114, x92 Conf# 98411
    • UK/London: +44 (0)207 855 3000, x92 Conf# 98411
    • FR/Paris: +33 1 44 79 34 80, x92 Conf# 98411
    • US/Toll-free: +1 800 707 2533, (pin 369) Conf# 98411
  • Engineering Vidyo Room / Air Mozilla / MTV Warp Core / TOR Finch / SFO Warfield / PDX Hair of the Dog
  • join #planning for back channel

No Comments

No comments yet.

RSS feed for comments on this post.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.

Powered by WordPress