Meeting Notes Meetings notes from the Mozilla community


Mobile: 2013-07-03

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 11:00 pm


  • Next merge: 2013-08-05

Topics for This Week

PSA – About Home

After triaging the remaining bugs, it looks like the new About Home redesign is at risk for Fx25. More likely happening in Fx26. Besides the bug list itself, the long pole is getting a tablet design implemented.

PSA – Dynamic Snippets

Recent discussion around Dynamic Snippets have caused a “re-think” in the way we plan to support the feature. The core idea will now be to use add-ons to customize the UI, mainly in the Home page. Adding add-on support to the Home page is already part of our plan. The backend client/server parts that were part of the original Dynamic Snippet plan are going away.

Friends of the Mobile Team

Give a shoutout/thanks to people for helping fix and test bugs. Make sure friends also get awarded a badge.

  • Michal Kajda (mkajda) landed his first patch! bug 888641 – java.lang.NullPointerException: at org.mozilla.gecko.BrowserToolbar.setProgressVisibility(

Stand ups

Suggested format:

  • What did you do last week?
  • What are working on this week?
  • Anything blocking you?

Please keep your update to under 2 minutes!

James W. (snorp)

  • Bug 888445 – Only use SkiaGL canvas on NVIDIA
  • Bug 888446 – Add some fuzz to make Skia canvas pass on Android
  • Bug 887318 – Fix SkiaGL readback when BGRA unavailable
  • Bug 887927 – Hold a ref to DrawTargetSkia within SourceSurfaceSkia
  • Bug 887901 – Limit number of GLContexts used with SkiaGL
  • Bug 885627 – Disable unimplemented canvas composition tests with SkiaGL
  • Bug 885623 – Disable some gradient tests for SkiaGL
  • Look into SkiaGL reftest failures on Android


  • Last week
    • bug 881018 – Add an assertion to try to diagnose a crash
    • bug 866265 – fix up some transformation equations for the multi-apzc work
    • bug 803207 – put together a WIP for making fennec behave normally with widget scaling
    • spent some time figuring out input event flow for multi-apzc work (WIP on bug 888365)
    • helped BenWa track down a refcounting problem by valgrinding mochitests
    • interviews, debriefs
  • Next week
    • fix up code that assumes a single APZC so that it doesn’t assume that
    • land remaining patches from bug 866265 (blocked on bug 775459)

Chris Lord (cwiiis)


  • bug 817876 – Support multiple modal dialogs from the same origin in b2g browser


  • bug 803299 – 32-bit by default – waiting on try, should land this week
  • bug 886298 – Propagate new units stuff for async fixed position layer pan/zoom
    • bug 876542 – Fullscreen broken for content in gaia app


  • Tiles layer backend on FirefoxOS

Chris Peterson

  • Push API: Implementing review feedback
  • bug 889185 – Send OrderedBroadcast.js token to Java and distinguish between null and default permissions
  • bug 889036 – Fix test build instructions in Robocop README.rst
  • bug 827407 – Uplifted NullPointerException fix for FlashPaintSurface crashes to Beta (reopens Flash video bug 809055)
  • TRIBE program

Shane Tully

  • Last week: bug 857730 – Implement contacts API
    • All units tests except blobs are passing
    • Add dialog to choose account in event of multiple accounts
  • This week:
    • Figure out photo JS blob to Java translation
  • Blocking:
    • bug 889673 – Adapt Contacts Unit Tests for Android
    • bug 882495 – PermissionPromptHandler does not return the correct window on Android
    • bug 832960 – Android manifest files requried before contacts API can be used


  • Past week
    • Getting familiar with the profiler / profiler add-on
    • Fixed bug 887972 – Allow user to select profiled threads in addon
    • Looked through ANRs reports
    • Finally landed bug 864040 – Enter key isn’t displayed correctly with SwiftKey X
    • Interview
  • Next
    • bug 888473 – Startup profiling should start GeckoJavaSampler right away
    • bug 886508 – Swiped words not appearing when using Google Keyboard
    • Long weekend!


  • Last week:
    • bug 880437 java.lang.NullPointerException: at org.webrtc.videoengine.VideoCaptureAndroid.DeleteVideoCaptureAndroid(
    • bug 874569 getUserMedia – Video playback orientation does not adapt to device orientation
    • B2G Code reading
  • This week:
    • bug 887227 crash in webrtc::videocapturemodule::DeviceInfoAndroid::NumberOfDevices
    • WebRTC 3.30 update – Android issues
    • bug 885768 – Cannot make a getUserMedia request within an iframe

Brian N

  • Bug 886123 – Firefox closes all tabs without asking
  • Bug 889554 – Restore session after Firefox has been updated
  • Bug 801412 – Add a preference to always restore the last session
  • Created session restore wiki page:
  • Bug 888497 – Fix focus order of browser toolbar


  • bug 888034 – No rounded corners on dominant colored backgrounds on BookmarkThumbnailView
  • bug 888039 – NSME on visited page due to swapCursor()
  • bug 885821 – Crop factor of thumbnails in BookmarksThumbnailView
  • bug 885481 – Add the folder name as an item in the BookmarksListView
  • bug 887982 – BookmarksListView should use cursor loaders
  • bug 887985 – TopBookmarksView should use cursor loaders
  • bug 888039 – Use support library’s CursorAdapter to use swapCursor()
  • bug 888032 – Restrict favicon size to 32dp in TopBookmarksView
  • bug 889612 – BookmarksListAdapter should be controlled by the BookmarksPage fragment
  • bug 889612 – TopBookmarksAdapter should be controlled by the BookmarksPage fragment
  • bug 889646 – BookmarksPage should be the landing page on new about:home
  • bug 889649 – VisitedPage should use CursorAdapter
  • bug 855888 – Remove “Gecko.” namespace from XML files
  • bug 887572 – Kill GeckoViewsFactory


  • WebRT workweek. Lots of good discussion. I think next up on our list is to implement a service that allows installing webapps via. an intent.
  • Got much more of Gaia in Fennec working. [1]
    • Landed bug 888145 – onLocationChange top level window check doesn’t work for “browser” webapps to help with this
  • Finished up Super toast JS-Api Bug 884075 – JS API for super toasts. stuff. One review left in bug 880454 – Support a queue for button toasts.
  • Turned off audio channel support in Fennec. On for webapps in nightly: bug 888836 – Firefox Beta stops playing downloaded mp3s when android screen is locked


  • bug 734877 – Add support for ‘PageActions’ so add-ons can add indicators to the URLBar
    • Done
      • Reader mode now called from browser.js
      • PageAction layout is now dynamic (Number of pageactions visible can be changed based on screen size)
    • In Progress
      • Replacing GeckoPopUpMenu with ArrowPopUp. (Need to look into arrow margins)
  • bug 856715 – Map L2/R2 to next/previous tab
    • Done
      • Tabs tray focus navigation now runs through l2/r2
      • Added click listeners to listen to action button presses while in TabsTray (Previously touch listeners were used for selection)
  • bug 888905 – Optimize new about:home for tablets
    • Pulled and built fig, looked into about:home code layouts and implementation, meeting with Ian soon to discuss design
  • bug 833113 – Fennec UI elements should be navigable by d-pad and show focus state
    • Currently working on making subMenus focus navigable


  • bug 887325 – update testSystemPages to include some more about:* pages
  • bug 871866 – remote-debugger
  • bug 870169 – another pass + tests for TelemetryRecorder (library taken out of ANRReporter)


  • Done
    • “Reading List” page on new about:home – bug 862798
    • On-site interview, reviews, etc.
  • In Progress (almost done)
  • Next
    • More about:home stuff


(First week)

  • Past(?)
    • Setup
  • Present
    • bug 863347 – (r+) Remove about:home from preloaded bookmarks
  • Future
    • about:healthreport?


  • SF and TRIBE. Good stuff.
  • If you’re interested in reader mode, bookmarks, front-end UI for those things, talk to jwilde (intern on Metro).
  • FHR fixes.
  • Sync/PICL.

Scott (jwir3)

Last Week:

This Week:


  • bug 888201 – java.lang.NullPointerException: at org.mozilla.gecko.GeckoApp.collectAndReportLocInfo(
worked on
  • bug 888482 – init gecko sooner
  • bug 871863 – Guest mode for browsing
  • bug 889541 – frequent build errors when editing android resources
  • bug 803299 – did the memory test bit of 32/24bit rendering
  • in toronto last week, will be in Toronto next week as well
  • Botond starts next week (in Toronto)
  • dealing with x86 automated testing
  • some involvement in PiCL
  • more b2g browser planning


  • Supporting the WebRT team last week. Solid progress.
  • Getting involved with some PiCL process mgmt. Lot’s of activity. Hoping to see some tangible output soon.
  • Bugs/Patches!
    • bug 886496 – When doing lazy tab restoration, set the browsers in question to display:none until restored
    • bug 889564 – ANR: LightweightTheme.handleMessage can block the Gecko thread
    • bug 888335 – Remove support for iGoogle/Reader from feed subscriptions
    • bug 888327 – Add support for adding feed subscriptions to
  • TODO:
    • Pull together plan for GeckoView

Ian Barlow

This week

  • About:home
    • UI Hackathon tentatively scheduled for week of July 22
    • Planning some user testing for week of July 15 (moved out a week so we can tidy up some more bugs)
    • Tablet designs
  • Designs for moving Search providers and Add-ons into Settings
  • Preliminary flows for PiCL sign in


  • Moving forward with the Synthetic (wrapper) APK approach to create an awesome native app experience on Android
    • Defining requirements for the wrapper APK
    • Starting exploratory work to figure out what Android approaches we need to use to impl the requirements
    • Meta bug 888391


  • Intense amount of discussion around groups, roles, technical details and use cases
    • Breaking out into logical groups: Storage/Infrastructure, Authentication/Device Mgmt and Client/Protocol
    • Several candidates for Storage/Protocol. CouchDB seems like the early leader. Queue-Sync is also in the running.
    • Use-Case re-examination with Product to make sure the lower-level details are well understood
    • Start writing some apps so we can test speed, bandwidth, local storage and memory characteristics of any candidate
  • UX mockups of the sign-on process/flow are in-progress. Plans are to make web-based mockups and do some user testing.
  • Working to create dev-picl mailing list for public discussions


  • Nathan Froyd (froydnj) has been examining various parts of the Fennec “cold start with a URL” process.

Feature Focus


Round Table


  • Investigating bug 845867 – crash in mozilla::layers::LayerManagerOGL::WorldTransformRect (Kevin)


  • Wednesdays – 9:30am Pacific, 12:30pm Eastern, 16:30 UTC
  • Dial-in: conference# 99998
    • US/International: +1 650 903 0800 x92 Conf# 99998
    • US toll free: +1 800 707 2533 (pin 369) Conf# 99998
    • Canada: +1 416 848 3114 x92 Conf# 99998
    • FR/Paris: +33 1 44 79 34 80, x92 Conf# 99998
  • #mobile for backchannel
  • Mobile Vidyo Room

No Comments

No comments yet.

RSS feed for comments on this post.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.

Powered by WordPress