- Next Merge: 2014-06-09
- Aurora feature review next Tuesday
Topics for This Week
- Search Activity
- Progress on search activity prototype, looking to start landing things in Nightly. Taking over the mobile front-end meeting this Friday (9:30am PDT) to discuss technical details.
Friends of the Mobile Team
Give a shoutout/thanks to people for helping fix and test bugs. Make sure friends also get awarded a badge. New contributors are highlighted in bold.
- Alex Deaconu fixed bug 1011714 – Clean up removal of Reading List items
- Capella fixed multiple bugs
- Shashank VRSN Sabniveesu fixed bug 1018089 – SQLiteBridge.getVersion leaks a cursor
- What did you do last week?
- What are working on this week?
- Anything blocking you?
Please keep your update to under 2 minutes!
James W. (snorp)
- Gonzales stuff (gzip, gif->webm, architecture)
- Working on making Talos work with GeckoViewExample
- Rework headless patch to pass Finkle test
- New intern(s)
Alan K. (ack)
- Last week
- Cleanup/refactoring CloudSync for landing based on review feedback (thanks rnewman!)
- This week
- Continuing with CloudSync refactoring on data providers
- 1011680 – Crash reporter build fails with “invalid suffix on literal” warning when building Fennec using GCC 4.8
- 1013478 – Use GCC 4.8 by default if available
- 1014136 – Backspacing when autocompleting doesn’t work right with hardware keyboard
- 1014233 – Autocomplete result still shown when backspacing
- 1014244 – Backspacing doesn’t work right when composition is single character
- 1017651 – Caret disappears after typing out autocomplete text
- 993261 – Text selection keyboard shortcuts not working
- 1013326 – Add a way to distinguish chrome hangs from content ones in BHR
- 1011059 – crash in java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: invalid selection notification range: 0 to #, length: # at org.mozilla.gecko.GeckoEditable.onSelectionChange(GeckoEditable.java)
- 1016923 – crash in JS_NewStringCopyZ(JSContext*, char const*)
- 1019050 – GCC 4.8 unused-local-typedefs warning/error in dom/media after WebRTC 3.50 update
- Also working on using the new unwinder for hangs
On vacation, left the following hanging:
- bug 1015932 – Create a way to share the OpenSLES engine between cubeb and WebRTC
- bug 1018928 – Regression: Selecting “No video” option from the permission prompt still shows the content of the device camera
- bug 1018994 – Favicons in Awesomebar allow HTTPS spoofing
- Last Week: Wrote code for stand alone STS. Started debugging.
- This Week: Finish debugging standalone WebRTC. Begin work to compile for device.
- bug 1002426 – Zoom level mangled after restoring session
- Uplifted to Aurora
- Gonzales (https://wiki.mozilla.org/Mobile/Gonzales)
- Caching (https://github.com/eamsen/node-gonzales/tree/caching)
- Cache/storage abstraction
- Redis support
- Code style checking (JSCS + JSHint)
- Travis CI integration
- Caching (https://github.com/eamsen/node-gonzales/tree/caching)
- Finalize and land caching on develop branch
- Performance logging
- Completed image compression module in Gonzales
- Added a module for ad blocking
- Continuing with implementing new modules
- rAc work (meetings, updated patch in bug 939351)
- Create a headless AutofillUIGlue component so bug 939351 can land
- Contextual hint stuff
- Bug 1006158 – Build against Android v7 support library and Google Play Services
- Bug 1018468 – Provide fullscreen button for video
- Bug 1018369 – “Add to homescreen” should remember private mode setting for tab
- Bug 1001309 – Provide a way to clear history when Fennec’s put into the background
- 1016949 – Fix TestSuggestedSites to account for enable/disable pref
- 1017574 – Force suggested sites refresh on locale changes
- 1009587 – Implement image precedence behaviour around suggested thumbnails
- 1012462 – Support suggested sites in distribution files
- 864958 – Refine private browsing chrome colour
- 997765 – Define initial list of suggested sites to ship with Fennec
- Contextual hints – Private tabs (bug 1014293), chatting with antlam about first run
- UI Telemetry (bug 1018433, bug 101719)
- Suggested Sites/Top Sites – bug 1010266
- Polishing up new things that landed in Fx32 (clear history button, undo close tab toast)
- Investigating (without success :() drawing regression in dynamic panels if Fx31 – bug 1010986
- WIP for bug 817716 – Add ability to close all tabs
- Making sure hub stuff is ready for Fx30 release
- Talking with eedens about search activity work
- Talking about interview candidates
- 998009 – Add a Clear History control to the history panel
- 1017129 – Polish undo close tab button toast appearance
- 1017501 – Use graphic for undoing a closed tab rather than text
- 1017633 – Refine ‘clear history’ feature in History panel
- 996708 – Set an explicit width/height for images in dynamic panel empty views
- 942877 – Promo panel to advertise customization in about:home
- 942879 – Adding panel from promo banner
- 987869 – Show promoted panels in the panel picker
- 1009473 – Polish image list view
- 1014708 – Disable zoom for find in page
- 1017045 – Wrong tabs are restored via the undo ability after closing multiple tabs at once; the last tab closed is used as the undo for all closed tabs
- 1017047 – Undo’ing a private tab restores it as a regular tab
- 1017554 – Regression: Empty lists view, no data is shown or fetched
- 997055 – The same feed is added in multiple panels in the home page
- 701725 – Enable the ability to undo a closed tab
- 817716 – Add ability to close all tabs
- 878173 – Create alternate about:feedback that sends positive feedback to input
- 1010986 – Dynamic panel list view drawn only after scrolling
- 1017912 – Restore tab in correct position when undoing close tab
- 1018337 – page title for neterror pages is used for the undo close tab super toast
- 1018661 – Closing zombified tab results in “closed about:blank” toast
- 999483 – Allow pull-to-refresh from the panel’s empty state
Continued work on Android search intent. Latest build: http://goo.gl/DVMsPr .
- Live searching as you type
- Search results are actionable.
- Added Duck Duck Go results
- Added pictures for some results (Yelp)
- Prepare MVP:
- Capture and display recent searches
- Add telemetry
- Show disambiguation results for DDG results.
- bug 997477 – Add a way to close edit mode in one tap on tablet
- bug 1014999 – Remote tabs panel setup/verification for tablets
- bug 1015450 – Tapping the toolbar during the awesomescreen close animation puts toolbar in inconsistent state
- bug 1017276 – Closing editing mode during open animation puts toolbar into inconsistent state
- bug 1019158 – crash in java.lang.NullPointerException: at org.mozilla.gecko.Telemetry.sendUIEvent(Telemetry.java)
- bug 1017142 – Setup sync message given to users of sync 1.1 in the synced tabs tray
- bug 1009315 – Replace TelemetryContract interfaces with enums
- bug 1019595 – Lack of contrast on editing mode’s ‘X’ button when using a lightweight theme
- bug 1002303 – Provide a description on private tabs page if there are no private tabs
- bug 998000 – Create BrowserApp.cancelEditingMode for consistency with BrowserApp.enter/commitEditingMode
- bug 932208 – BrowserToolbar and HomeFragment context menu ‘Share’ option should be disabled for these protocols: about:// chrome:// file://
- Too busy with other things:
- bug 983437 – Delay FHR pruning until the screen is off
- bug 989441 – Centralized documentation for writing tests
- Distribution distribution.
- Locale switching stuff — Belarusian, Maithili, Honeycomb bugs.
- Home provider concurrency.
- Sync, as always.
- Booked June/July travel.
- Discussing phone screen approach with lucasr and margaret.
- Discussed approaches for custom Sync server support on Android.
- Pinged mkelly re hosted distributions, started down the CDN avenue.
- Opining on places GUID maintenance: bug 1012597.
- Helping out with testing Sync deprecation indicators: bug 1017443.
- Figuring out a path forward for awkward (read: three-char) locales on Android.
- Answering some Sync-related support questions.
- Filed bugs for end-of-lifing Android 2.2. Lots of code can die.
- Offering some partner guidance re implementing Sync/FxA in C++.
- Pushing on add-on initialization stuff in Gecko re distributions.
- bug 788688 (Sync device name)
- bug 1019158 (NPE in UITelemetry)
- bug 1019218 (Eclipse project deps)
- bug 978158 (desktop: FHR for translation project)
- bug 1017706 (desktop: crash during FHR shutdown)
- Random others (last week)
- Some Sync tickets — custom servers bug 989756, customizable client name bug 788688
- Some remote tabs tickets in progress — bug 899643
- Eclipse support is getting better — bug 1006209, bug 1019218
- bug 1013588 – Gecko-base Android launcher
- bug 1016747 – add android protocol handler to proxy input streams to Gecko
- bug 1019836 – Support narrow char strings in android bridge
- Doing some scoping for our Search project
- Initial suggested sites are on their way! http://cl.ly/image/2J1c3u0i0S0l
- Interviewing some more designers
- Meetings forever
- Filed major tablet work on bugzilla: [Meta] https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1014156
- Tab status design ideas: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1018504
- Started looking into various app launchers
- Keep researching app launchers, looking into reviews from play store
- Tab overflow on tablet
- Interview a mobile design candidate
- Learning new prototyping tools
- Search UX work
- “Toolbar” refinements with Lucasr
- Contextual hints talk with Chenxia
- about:feedback page visual polish
- icons, video player icons, more icons
- bug 1007436 – Add help FAQ link to negative feedback form
- (in progress) bug 1019318 – Polish button toast appearance
- (in progress) bug 1014335 – Make “Pull to Refresh” in Synced Tabs and Home Panels feel excellent.
- Getting started!
- Getting things compiled in the first place
- Working on getting an app that generates JNI bindings from any jar
- Request for more collection: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1001211
- Stumbling as a full-time service: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1003587
- Cell data upload: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1003598
- Privacy: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1003609
- At HackInTheBox / HAXPO last week – lots of love for Firefox on Android.
- bug 1007770 – WebApp update prompt looks scary – update icon – uplifted to Aurora & Beta
- bug 1011093 – WebApp update prompt looks scary – wordsmith notification text – fixed
- bug 957067 – Pass back error when incorrect data passed through in install APK – inbound
- bug 995803 – crash in java.lang.IllegalStateException – needs branch patch for Aurora uplift
- bug 1009954 – implement unit tests for WebappManager – in progress
- bug 1011832 – Loading my app on Android displays a blank white screen – waiting for reporter
- bug 1013428 – mozilla-apk-cli App Updates side-loaded don’t appear – in progress
- bug 1013433 – uninstalling, resideloading, and relaunching app causes it to stall at white screen – in progress
- bug 1003962 – Line Runner hangs on launch with white screen – under investigation
- Aaron and Kevin now report to Marc Schifer
- This is now the Firefox QA team
- there will be some traditionally desktop people owning items on the feature roadmap for 33+
Firefox 30 (Beta)- Release: Jun 10, 2014
- [ON TRACK] Quickshare on the context menu, Epic/Meta bug 1014021
- [ON TRACK] Evaluate pngquant for PNG size reduction bug 959833
- [ON TRACK] Firefox Hub v1 (RSS feed support + 2 add-ons), Epic/Meta bug 1014025
- [ON TRACK] Added locale: Argentine Spanish (es-AR), bug 979250
- [ON TRACK] Added locale: Mexican Spanish (es-MX), 979251 bug 979251
- [ON TRACK] Added locale: Malay (ms), bug 979257
- [ON TRACK] Added locale: Latvian (lv), bug 958021
- [ON TRACK] Added locale: Indonesian (id), bug 960060
- [ON TRACK] Added locale: Belarusian (be), bug 521981
Firefox 31 (Aurora) – Release: Jul 22, 2014
- [ON TRACK] Ability to re-order existing panels in about:home, not via drag and drop (see My List: Manage current lists in settings), bug 959917
- [ON TRACK] Firefox Hub v2 (currently planned feature complete), Epic/Meta bug 1014030
- [ON TRACK] Quickshare Contexts, Epic/Meta bug 1014035
- [ON TRACK] Quickshare: Settable default service for quickshare buttons, Epic/Meta bug 1014037
- [PROPOSED] Quickshare: Collect aggregate usage data, Epic/Meta bug 1014038
- [ON TRACK] UX Telemetry, Epic/Meta bug 1014044
- [ON TRACK] Added locale(s): Hindi(hi), Gujarati (gu), Bengali (bn), Punjabi (pn), Maithili (mai), Marathi (mr), Malayalam (ml), Assamese (as), Oriya (or), Tamil (ta), Telugu (te), Kannada (kn)
- [PROPOSED] EOL official Android 2.2 Support bug 1017242
Firefox 32 (Nightly) – Release: Sep 2, 2014
- [PROPOSED] Screencasting (Roku), Epic/Meta bug 921924
- [PROPOSED] Firefox Hub v3 (bugfixes & polish + more add-ons), Epic/Meta bug 1014032
- [PROPOSED] Suggested sites v1, Epic/Meta bug 988366
- [PROPOSED] Contextual tips for users
- [PROPOSED] Form auto-fill improvements
- [PROPOSED] Tab mirroring (Roku)
- [ON TRACK] UI lang switching
- [PROPOSED] Synced tabs page as entry point into Firefox Accounts & Sync (bug 958889)
- [PROPOSED] API: Push notifications
- [PROPOSED] Add a Clear History control to the history panel bug 998009
- [ON TRACK] Android Gamepad backend bug 852935
- [PROPOSED] Firefox Hub: Add new My Panel from Promotional Banner
- [ON TRACK] Support weighed snippets bug 1002567
- Wednesdays – 9:30am Pacific, 12:30pm Eastern, 16:30 UTC
- Dial-in: conference# 99998
- US/California/Mountain View: +1 650 903 0800, x92 Conf# 99998
- US/California/San Francisco: +1 415 762 5700, x92 Conf# 99998
- US/Oregon/Portland: +1 971 544 8000, x92 Conf# 99998
- CA/Vancouver: +1 778 785 1540, x92 Conf# 99998
- CA/Toronto: +1 416 848 3114, x92 Conf# 99998
- UK/London: +44 (0)207 855 3000, x92 Conf# 99998
- FR/Paris: +33 1 44 79 34 80, x92 Conf# 99998
- US/Toll-free: +1 800 707 2533, (pin 369) Conf# 99998
- irc.mozilla.org #mobile for backchannel
- Mobile Vidyo Room