Meeting Notes Meetings notes from the Mozilla community

25-August-2015

Thunderbird: 2015-08-25

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 11:00 pm

Thunderbird meeting notes 2015-08-25. NOON PT (Pacific). For meeting time, previous notes and call-in details see https://wiki.mozilla.org/Thunderbird/StatusMeetings

Attendees

  • wsmwk, aceman, fallen, makemyday, jorgk, rkent, mkmelin, clokep

Action items from last meetings

  • Get release documentation into wiki

Current status and discussions

Critical Issues

Leave critical bugs here until confirmed fixed. If confirmed, then remove.

  • needs assignee after solution identified – bug 1196662 not checking mails after hibernation, caused by core bug 1178890 (and we may be seeing other issues from 1178890, like hangs)
  • aceman is assignee – bug 1183490 – (dataloss) New emails do not adhere to sort by order received
  • status TBD – bug 1182629 – update to 38.1.0 from 38.0.1 re-enables disabled Lightning
  • status TBD – bug 1176399 – Multiple master password when GMail OAuth2 is enabled
  • status¬†??? – bug 1176748 – Someone needs to add additional main thread proxies to the migration code (jorgk and m_kato have in previous years been the major drivers of fixes)
  • topcrash bug 1149287 is ** 31% of our crashes** – see below

removing from critical list/fixed:

Critical for TB42 and beyond:
bug 1193200 – Blocker: Permissions manager/Remote content exceptions

Releases

  • Past
    • 38.0.1 nominally shipped 2015-06-12
    • 38.1.0 shipped 2015-07-10
    • 31.8.0 shipped 2015-07-17
    • 40.0beta shipped 2015-07-27 (skipping 39.0b)
    • 38.2.0 shipped 2015-08-14
  • Upcoming
    • 38.3.0 ~2015-09-23
    • 41.0beta ~2015-08-10
    • 42.0beta ~2015-09-26

Lightning

Past releases:

Upcoming releases:

Updates:

  • Still need help rewriting SUMO help articles on Lightning
  • Need to fix bug 1194997 for calendars disabling themselves

Round Table

Jorg K

  • bug 772796bug 1174452 – M-C Editor problems to do with pre and “white-space: pre;” currently stalled.
  • bug 368915 – change language in subject (language button), ready to land.
  • bug 1197687 – Font menu again, waiting for Neil.
  • bug 1020181 – Set spell check language for recipient (published add-on as quick fix).

wsmwk

  • developers need to be thinking about landing stuff now, and in the next 2 months, for version 45 moves to aurora dec 14
  • HWA – collected more data and filed bug 1195947 Track HWA issues
  • crashes
    • 38.2.0 crash rate ~0.35, dramatically reduced from ~.5 for 38.1.0 https://crash-stats.mozilla.com/daily?p=Thunderbird likely mostly due to disabling HWA. Only ~6 GPU crash signatures in top 200 and the highest rank is 80 (vs several in top 20 for 38.2.0), so most GPU driver crashes seem to be gone (but not all of the crash rate reduction will have been just from disabling HWA)
    • topcrash bug 1149287 is **31% of crashes (1)** and needs much work because it’s got multiple causes. Some reports implicate McAfee, some are not “shutdown” because user is hung or waiting on some prompt or protocol issue (only then does user try to close and crashes). (speculating) Are some caused by timer issues from bug 1178890? See the comments http://tinyurl.com/nzwkgaq (1) https://crash-stats.mozilla.com/topcrasher/products/Thunderbird/versions/38.2.0
    • lacking time to follow up on other signatures in the “new” topcrash rankings (but that’s OK because we’re very well off compared to 38.1.0)
  • following progress of Thunderbird web pages moving to bedrock – they are close to being done
  • beware – ishikawa in the next several weeks will be landing big changes from many (>12?) bugs, both core and Thunderbird, for IO performance and error checking, eg bug 1116055

Fallen

  • Patched a lot of build issues, together with aleth

rkent

Code:

  • I think we have made progress on maildir issues, I hope to get two critical issues fixed before the next release.

I’m finally starting to turn more of my attention to management issues rather than urgent TB 38 problems. In the long run, those are very important, but the urgent easily crowds out the important. Kudos to those trying to get the tree usable again!

We could talk about:

  • Our thoughts on the announced changes to addons (Including not only
    • require signed vs unsigned?
      • no upside? i.e. we have no identified exploits
      • need to wait for enterprise impacts to be resolved
      • concerned that because the “unsigned process” will be no longer used by AMO, it may impact ability to push out unsigned THunderbird addons using the script they used to mass sign Firefox’s unsigned addons
    • XPCOM/XUL deprecation
      • need to make sure we are involved in the conversation and decisions so that developers have what they need in the “new environment”
  • Patrick is happy to do Enigmail integration into Thunderbird, I think we should agree. comments?
  • Joshua, Suyash, and I are working on the SkinkGlue (now JsAccount) integration, which will be the basis of both JMAP and CARDDAV support. –> consider using https://github.com/gaye/dav for carddav support
  • Volker Birk of Pretty Easy Privacy is *very* serious about heavily engaging his Foundation with Thunderbird. Concerns? http://pep-project.org/
  • Then there is the legal and financial home issue …
    • Expect a full-court press on MoFo by me soon, if you have contacts there please advise. One thing that is clear to me after talking to people is how critical Thunderbird is in the greater software world. We DO have a place at the table! How to get MoFo to see that?
    • We have submitted a formal application to Software Freedom Conservancy to affiliate with them, now we wait for their evaluation queue.
    • Very interesting talks with The Document Foundation(TDF)/LibreOffice. #1 concern: All of our energy goes into keeping up with Mozilla to allow us to optimize some future code development that we never actually have time for. Their funding model is very interesting, would be worth discussing.
    • hoping to meet with postbox in a few weeks
  • It would be really great if someone could lead efforts to prototype a fund-raising drive web page in-product. (hoping to target Oct/Nov)

aceman

  • looking at bug 1183490 (the order received regression), 2 options:
    1. back out bug 854798. Should be safe. I recommend this.
    2. finally drop msgkey=offset in mbox and just increment by 1. May be risky but there is already a precedent that msgs moved by filters already get key+1 so code expecting key==offset should have already been uncovered. However, there are still some unsure places, fixing which means basically bug 793865 (the 64bit envelope and msgkey!=offset cleanup). I would not recommend this for ESR.
  • finally looking to finish some feature patches (compose font selector, saved files tab, show map widget)

Question Time

Other

  • PLEASE PUT THE NEXT MEETING IN YOUR (LIGHTNING) CALENDAR
  • Note – meeting notes must be copied from etherpad to wiki before 5AM CET next day so that they will go public in the meeting notes blog.

Help Wanted

No Comments

No comments yet.

RSS feed for comments on this post.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.

Powered by WordPress