Meeting Notes Meetings notes from the Mozilla community


SeaMonkey Meeting Minutes: 2010-07-13

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 11:00 pm


From MozillaWiki

« last meeting | index | next meeting »

SeaMonkey Meeting Details


  • Who’s taking minutes? -> Ratty

Action Items

(who needs to do what that hasn’t been recorded in a bug) We should assign people to the open items.





  • Get permission from Google to use their geolocation JSON service [KaiRo]. Contact at Google says they don’t want additional specific consumers of the service right now and want to enable some general way of accessing it “some time” – We can only wait right now. No easy solution in sight. Also, discussing a possible open Geolocation service.

SeaMonkey 2.0.6

open blockers (1)
blocker requests (0)
fixed (46)

SeaMonkey 2.1 Alpha 2

  • SHIPPED last Wednesday!
  • 700 downloads so far.
  • yesterday, we had 165 installations of that version reporting in.
  • Since we started issuing alphas, we have more than doubled our active daily installations of 2.1 – we had been at ~200 before (nightlies only), yesterday we had 516 (These include both nightlies and alphas).

SeaMonkey 2.1 Alpha 3

open blockers (5)
blocker requests (1)
targeted (0)
fixed (4)

Trunk Status (after XPCOM registration changes):

  • We have tests up and running with being a bit worse than before those changes.
  • Right now we need to clear up editor bustage from the change.
  • Venkman and Chatzilla are still only using temp workarounds though Neil has done a more permanent fix for Chatzilla.
  • Static builds don’t run. NeilAway might have a patch for that.
  • calendar/lightning still have issues.

(Further 2.1 scheduling:)

  • Please help updating the New 2.1 Features page as we go.
  • Plans for 2.1: 6-8 weeks per milestone, a3 in late July or early August, b1 in August/September, and a final in October/November.
  • This seems to match recently presented Firefox 4 plans relatively well – they’ll go for beta really soon now and Final in the same timeframe as we have in those plans right now.
  • It would be good to get OOPP (Out Of Process Plugins) for SM2.1 but we need some way to build libxul to be able to build OOPP. Various Mailnews work has to be done (and is being done) for that to be possible.
  • The freeze for Firefox 4.0 Beta 1 has been carried out, and the Mozilla/Gecko version has been bumped to 2.0b2pre.

Feature List, Planning

Bug statistics for last two (full) weeks: 29 new, 7 fixed, 7 triaged.

  • Fix rate is down, but that’s probably due to tree closure. Triaging would be useful, though…
  • Good further triage targets could come out of looking at the component bug counts, pick yours!

Major wanted/needed features:


  • bug 423281 Help updates.
    • No news from InvisibleSmiley; a closed tree and hot weather don’t exactly help…
  • bug 483282 Make sure normal SeaMonkey use doesn’t pay a price for having Venkman installed [Mnyromyr].
    • Needs at least a core patch landing for bug 364864 (nsICategoryManager::deleteCategoryEntry does not persist outside of component registration) which depends on bug 480851 getting fixed on trunk.
    • Mnyromyr hopes to get to look into Venkman now that he’s released Mnenhy 0.8.
    • status/progress? Any hopes that this will still make 2.0?
  • bug 471346 Port GetDefaultFeedReader to SeaMonkey shell service [mcsmurf].
    • Landed on trunk, Callek and mcsmurf working to get it onto branch.
    • No progress as everybody has been concentrating on fixing the xpcom issues.


  • bug 460953 kill-rdf port [sgautherie].
    • Postponed until mcsmurf (or sgautherie) can resume work on it.
    • status/progress?
  • bug 436794 Enable Mac OS X system address book per default and add UI.
    • SM UI needed, unowned, helpwanted.
    • status/progress?
  • bug 410613 OpenSearch. helpwanted.
    • We need to check if OpenSearch can support all our existing functionality, for example the INTEPRETS section in Sherlock search plugins. Mnyromyr will check on that, and on how extensible the Firefox code is.
    • status/progress?
    • The current consensus it to get some basic functionality going with OpenSearch first. And then later to see how much of the old functionality we can reimplement in follow-ups.
  • bug 449728 Drag tabs between windows.
    • Jeffrey Lee, a Seneca student, is looking into that!
    • Currently unowned, helpwanted.
  • bug 498596 Places bookmarks. [KaiRo]
    • New patches and try builds are up, please test them! Still hope that Neil find time for reviews.
  • bug 480734 Satchel data editor (“Form Manager”).
    • will be implemented in terms of Data Manager, see below.
  • bug 569341 Data Manager [KaiRo]
  • bug 477845 Build a standalone (Gecko 1.9.3) Composer. [kaze]
    • kaze will look into that once KompoZer 0.8 is done.
    • bug 477840 Backport KompoZer to Composer (Depends on bug 477845).
    • kaze has done a ton of work there. We’re still trying to work out some organizational issues.
    • At the moment there is no active interest from MoMo for bringing standalone composer into comm-central. That’s something we (KaiRo and kaze) will have to negotiate with the Thunderbird team (dmose).
    • status/progress?
  • bug 523274 Complete new default theme icon set.
    • A list of TODO icons is up in the bug.
    • Still needs quite a bit of work.
    • status/progress?
    • bug 522023 is working on improving the browser globe in task icons, etc..
  • bug 526210 Update the icon set for the SeaMonkey Modern Theme.
    • Some proposed icons got posted, we should take a look how to get that contribution into the product.
    • The rest is unowned so far.
    • status/progress?
  • bug 97023 Search/Find in page UI: toolbar instead of dialog [bfrisch].
    • New patch addressing review comments is there, probably ready for checkin with that.
  • bug 533908 SeaMonkey Mail: tabs not restored [misak].
    • status/progress?
  • bug 467867 [META] Implement Firefox TabBrowser API in Seamonkey [misak].
    • status/progress?
  • bug 563261 Lightweight themes / personas [KaiRo].

We also should take a look at the other items on 2.1-wanted
Also the nominations need triaging.

  • We need to find a solution for Lightning, which is targeting Thunderbird 3.1 now.
    • Lightning 1.0 beta 1 is for SM2.0 and TB3.0, 1.0 beta 2 is for TB3.1 (Gecko 1.9.2). Further versions will probably be for 2.0-based releases.

Roundtable – Personal Status Updates

Status Updates from developers – what are you working on, what’s the progress, any other comments? (feel free to add yourself to the list if your name is missing and you have interesting status).






Bugs Fixed:

  • bug 573382 No chrome package registered for chrome://inspector/content/tasksOverlay.xul.
  • bug 576910 Make DOM-inspector XPCOM components use new manifests and data tables.

Working on:

  • bug 566593 Add-ons Manager window shows multiple times.
  • bug 576820 Provide saner Error Console Spew (or none) when Firefox 4 manifest features are used.


  • Usual testing, reviewing and commenting.
  • Bugs fixed:
    • Part of bug 575740 Fix up the offlineStartup js module.
    • Part of bug 575740 Newsblog js fix.
    • bug 576910 Make DOM-inspector XPCOM components use new manifests and data tables.
    • bug 576745 temp fix for Make ChatZilla XPCOM component use new manifests and data tables.
  • Bugs waiting for review:
  • Bugs being worked on:
    • Customize Composer toolbars.


Ready for checkin:


  • Created a second round of SeaMonkey 2.1 Alpha 2 builds, and released this one.
  • Created SeaMonkey 2.0.6 candidate builds as soon as FF 3.5.11 had been tagged, updated its changes page.
  • Fixed broken context menu entries, which I regressed earlier (bug 574264).
  • Updated doorhanger notification patches (bug 570004).
  • Tried building with libxul (bug 394502) and found autocomplete still busted (Template:Bug 450781). Worked with Neil to get this fixed.
  • Uploaded a new places bookmarks patch series (bug 498596) and created new try builds
  • Worked on getting lightweight themes (personas) on trunk (bug 563261).
  • Tried drumming up resources for converting c-c to new XPCOM registration (bug 575740).
  • Watched SeaMonkey XPCOM registration work (bug 576900) and updated packaging for that (bug 577859).
  • Ported get FileDisplayName cleanup to SeaMonkey (bug 572454).
  • Did a patch for renaming mTabContainer to tabContainer in SeaMonkey tabbrowser (bug 577756).
  • Finished feature work for Data Manager 1.0 and submitted that state as 0.9 to AMO:
  • Filed bugs on SeaMonkey Sync UI (bug 576970) and Tabs On Top work (bug 577758).
  • Updated LCARStrek and EarlyBlue themes for SeaMonkey 2.1 Alpha 2.
  • Checked in a few German help patches.
  • Kept the environment a bit better by not traveling around the world to Whistler.
  • As usual, my blog has more detailed status about my work, and Mozilla Status Board Posts also tell about my next planned steps.



Fixed (or in-progress) bugs:

  • bug 564677 Port bug 539594 [Middle-clicking back/forward/reload should open the new tab next to the current one].




Bugs fixed:

  • bug 351235 preference is essentially useless.
  • bug 572529 Make it even easier to build with pymake.
  • bug 572996 Compiler dependencies don’t work for DEBUG code.
  • bug 575446 Hang and too-much-recursion crash with tree, filter, text-shadow.

Working on:

  • bug 408599 FeedProtocolHandler creates horrifying nsIStandardURLs.
  • bug 450781 “No rule to make target …/xpcom.lib” compiling <nsAutoComplete.cpp> with |–enable-libxul|.
  • bug 533290 extApplication.js, _prefs object unexpectedly garbaged collected.
  • bug 556124 layout/reftests/bugs/508908-1.xul reftest persistent failure since ff6b54ac276d.
  • bug 573865 Can’t build webm fallback code on Windows x86_64 (xul.dll doesn’t link).
  • bug 576900 Make suite XPCOM components use new manifests and data tables.


Bugs with patches waiting for tree opening:

  • bug 571517 Don’t pass strings to setTimeout. Part 3: /editor & /mailnews.
  • bug 572682 Move popups, panels, and tooltips into popupsets (e.g. mainPopupset).
  • bug 577225 Second getChildList parameter is now optional.

Working on:

  • bug 518736 Lightning options button in Add-on window error – looking for preferences.xul.
  • bug 534322 [PageInfo] Dialog is too short.
  • bug 577514 Remove redundant pref-offline UI which was commented out since 2001.






Any other business?

  • N/A.

No Comments

No comments yet.

RSS feed for comments on this post.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.

Powered by WordPress