Meeting Notes Meetings notes from the Mozilla community


Thunderbird Meeting Minutes: 2010-01-05

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Benjamin Smedberg @ 12:00 am


From MozillaWiki

last meeting | index | next meeting »

Thunderbird Meeting Details :


Action Items




Friends of the Tree

  • Wayne Mery for the astounding work he’s been doing in 2009 in triaging bugs, filling crashers.

Thunderbird 3.1 (Lanikai)

Thunderbird 3.1a1


  • comm-1.9.2 branch cut: ???
  • String/code freeze date: 2010-01-12 (Tuesday)
  • l10n-mozilla-1.9.2 freeze date: 2010-01-18 (Monday)
  • Build/relbranch date: 2010-01-19 (Tuesday)
  • Ship date: 2010-01-26 (Tuesday)

Thunderbird 3.0.x Developer Update

  • 3.0.1
    • Aiming to base off of Gecko
    • Schedule Highlights:
    • Code Freeze: January 8, 2010, 11:59pm
    • Beta Period: January 13
    • Estimated Release Date: January 20

QA Updates

  • Xmas, new year period was slower with bug input.
  • Having the first triage day of this year, this coming Thursday
  • Working with Sun’s QA people to add litmus test to cover the new account manager.
  • Planned for the coming weeks :
    • Reorganize the QA wiki pages
    • Tests for 3.0.1
    • Planning for 3.1a1


  • topcrashes mostly unchanged from Thunderbird/StatusMeetings/2009-12-22
  • only 1 of our top 5 crashes received significant attention in last 30-40 days – outlook seems bleak for getting these into 3.0.1, perhaps even 3.0.2
  • brief analysis of crashes by component, based on signature of top 100 = 53% of crashes
    • 5% – extensions
    • 6% – no stack in the report
    • 14% – storage
    • 19% – oom and the like, so cause is unclear
    • 28% – core
    • 27% – thunderbird

Marketing Updates

IT update



TODO / In Progress


  1. Draft Support Workflow Document <– Feedback please! Edit the page, etc.
  2. Thunderbird 3.0 Top Support Issues <- please add support issues to this page, or let me know! new this week:
    1. Bullguard Anti-Virus causes blank windows – GS topic, Bug 537769
    2. Add-Ons:
      1. Expanded Columns e.g. for IMAP size – missing from folder Pane – workaround: use extra folder columns add-on – GS topic, [bug]
      2. Functions for Address book aka MoreColsForAddressBook – need to uninstall TB 2 version and install TB 3 version (confusingly both TB2 and 3 versions have the same version number!) – GS topic, bug 533903
  3. SUMO for MoMo aka SuMoMo – SuMoMo project plan
    1. theming done but awaiting SSL widget code from GS & Gozer push of theming SVN updates
    2. since SuMoMo uses SSL, waiting for GS to give us GS search widget code that we can put on the sidebar that works with SSL, expected a fix before Christmas (not rocket science since since all the GS widgets except the Satisfaction Search widget that we are using allow SSL, followed up with GS developer January 4)
    3. content – hoping to get some more of JenZed’s time and other volunteers to finish in the next two weeks:
      1. Priority 1 – total 7 of which 3 need final editing, 1 in progress, 3 more to be written
      2. Priority 2 – total 4 of which: 1 done needs final editing, 3 more left to be written
  4. Key Support stats from the following graphic:
    1. approximately 66/ day (466/7 new topics down because of the holidays), # of visitors 21000 a bit lower for the holidays, down from peak of 35000)
    2. total new topics:466 total replies from employees and contributors: 97 down due to holidays thanks everybody who took time to help during the holidays! (Ruby Code)
      1. date:20091229 #new support topics:72 resolved:16
      2. date:20091230 #new support topics:55 resolved:11
      3. date:20091231 #new support topics:53 resolved:17
      4. date:20100101 #new support topics:60 resolved:15
      5. date:20100102 #new support topics:55 resolved:13
      6. date:20100103 #new support topics:36 resolved:11
      7. date:20100104 #new support topics:68 resolved:16

Lightning Updates

  • QA period for Lightning 1.0b1rc1 ends soon
    • No dramatic blocking bugs encountered, rc1 will most likely become release
    • A few l10n strings were changed after rc1, sipaq told me these are probably minor changes though.
  • Still waiting for Sunbird 1.0b1rc1
  • Post 1.0b1 will concentrate on performance improvement.


Status Updates




Last week:

  • vacation

This week:

  • catch up with email
  • 3.0.1 coding/review work
  • 3.1a1 driving

  • Starting to catch up on reviews
  • Approval & Blocking triage on 3.0.1.
  • Release Checklists


  • Reviews and Driving
  • Reset flag state when selecting new folder, fixes issues with condstore servers, bug 524902
  • Fix archiving of messages in multiple years, and add mozmill test for archiving, bug 531829
  • Worked on other 3.01 fixes



  • filed 23 crashes
  • took a spin through ldap bugs
  • retriaged dataloss bugs
  • triaging incoming crash bug reports


  • Wanted to release Eudora 8 beta 8 today, but build symbols are not cooperating
  • Will be out at CES rest of week
  • E8b8 release likely early next week




Last week

  • vacation
  • setup GS triage meetings for Mondays at 10am PST

This week

  • Get a handle on 3.0.1
  • Contracts for PR, GS, web site.
  • Party planning


This week :

  • Catching up on bugmail
  • Prepare 3.0.1 testing and 3.1a1 testing
  • Regular event


This week:


Last week:

This week:

  • Work on my 3.0.x blockers. (bug 534448 and bug 533680.)
  • More NetBook work.
  • Answer more GetSatisfaction questions.


  • Fixed (or in-progress) MailNews Core bugs:
    • bug 442730 composition security options for encrypt should only be one menu item (with checkbox) like signing
    • bug 523820 Remove old MOZILLA_1_9_1_BRANCH ifdefs from comm-central code
    • bug 536136 Port |Bug 515792 – build system runs identical ‘hg identify’ command too many times| to comm-central
    • bug 456860 Improve msgCompSMIMEOverlay.js and msgReadSMIMEOverlay.js
    • bug 536408 Update license blocks to use “Mozilla Foundation” instead of “Mozilla Corporation”, comm-central part


  • Exams starting 25.01.2010, will last until 11.02.2010. No time for Calendar in this period, but lots of time afterwards to make up for it!




Mozilla Platform Meeting Minutes: 2010-01-05

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Benjamin Smedberg @ 12:00 am


From MozillaWiki

« previous week | index | next week »

Notices / Schedule

Firefox 3.0.17 / Firefox 3.5.7

  • shipping today
  • adjusted schedule to go for early January release to update users with fix for bug 534090 which affects major updates
  • also took a fix to the NTLM regression as well as for the #1 topcrash on branches

Firefox 3.0.18 / Firefox 3.5.8

  • new proposed schedule at links above:
    • code freeze January 19th
    • release Feb 16th
  • tree is open, please work on blockers during this quieter RC period
  • schedule tracks to three weeks later than original 3.0.17/3.5.7 schedule
  • will try to coincide with a 3.6.1

Firefox 3.6 Beta Testers

  • approaching 800,000 ADUs, stayed stable during the holidays
  • about 20 nominations came in through the holidays, a few new code blockers were found

Firefox 3.6 Release Candidate

  • one JS blocker left, should be landing today
  • would like to co-ordinate RC builds with the Fennec guys to see if we can make sure we’re both using the same gecko content in our relbranches

Firefox Future Releases

  • please see the discussion in the newsgroups about the plan for a release code named “Lorentz”, to be delivered early in Q1 with a focus on delivering out of process plugin support for at least Flash on Windows. We’ll also discuss this in today’s roundtable.

Blocker Report

Firefox 3.6 RC Code Completion

All Blockers (includes website, release management, etc)
See more Firefox 3.6 related blocker queries, or learn about the new status and blocker flags

Browser / Front End

  • no blockers
  • you’re going to see some UI churn on trunk, get used to it
    • This will cause change. Things will not be the same as before.
    • IF YOU SEE A CHANGE YOU DON’T LIKE: Please sit with it for at least 48 hours before blogging/tweeting/irc pinging to tell us how terrible it is.
    • Change is hard, but important. We value input more than insults.
  • this quarter our big targets are:
    • starting UI changes for Firefox 4
    • reducing I/O on the main thread (performance)
    • supporting out of process plugins work (UI and integration work)
    • continuing to drive startup time
    • integrating jetpack, weave and iterating on personas

GFX Update

  • No blockers
  • Some interesting things we’re working on:
    • Hardware Layers implementations (DX10 and OGL) (Bas)
    • CoreAnimation plugin support (Ben Girard, our new co-op!)

Layout Update

  • No blockers
  • Things quiet due to holiday
  • Basic layers infrastructure coming up [roc, bas]
  • DPI rework [roc]
  • CSS calc() [dbaron]

Content Update

  • no 1.9.2 blockers
  • slow going due to holidays…
  • investigating one regression in plugin code bug 536020.
  • benjamn writing xpcshell unit tests for CPOWs (f.k.a. JPWs).
  • Jonas is changing nsIAtom (API compat)

Platform-specific Support Update


  • finishing last few blockers
  • ramping up work for future releases, more on this next week
  • landed bug 430133, bug 492840 in TM repository
  • just before last platform meeting landed a change to align behavior of setting properties with getters but not setters with ES5; blogged to anticipate any potential bustage out there

Startup Performance


  • Zack landed a patch for Cross-domain data theft using CSS parser, an issue that affected all browsers because it is almost a hole in specs. But it breaks some web sites; do we want a more conservative (but more complicated) fix for branch?
    • We had a long discussion about this.
  • Please complete the triage of crash bugs in your component. Over the second half of 2009, the number of open crash bugs was reduced by 25%, largely through the security team’s aggressive GTD-style triage (which also identified at least three security bugs among the heap). The remaining bugs should have a high usefulness density.


  • Crash reporting the major blocker for turning OOPP on by default
    • “Dumb” crash reporting almost done: no UI
    • Needs UI help: josh to work on objectframe differentiation to get rid of the default plugin, bug 533891.
    • Need Firefox UI help, bug 519541
  • mozilla-runtime not executable on Linux, need help with bug 535090: releng bug?
  • bent re-examining hangs on Windows, bug 535036
  • Networking bug tree created. jduell needs review (bz/biesi) on bug 530952 so that additional work can begin on a stable base.
  • Volunteer wanted: record-and-replay investigation of xpcshell oranges, bug 535585

Tree Management

  • New Talos HW coming. ETA end of January.
    • Likely OSes: Windows XP, Windows 7, OSX 10.5.8, OSX 10.6, Linux 32-bit, Linux 64-bit
      • NB win7 will be replacing vista
      • Will be updating to a more recent Linux distro (hardy heron or fedora 12)
    • Will run on 1.9.0, 1.9.1, 1.9.2, trunk


  • Major or minor update from 3.5 to 3.6?
    • A: Throttled major update on the day of release


Mozilla Project Meeting Minutes: 2010-01-04

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Benjamin Smedberg @ 12:00 am


From MozillaWiki

« previous week | index | next week »

Video for today’s meeting

meeting update 2009-01-04

Why can’t I use a video tag here!?

Proposed Changes to the Monday Meeting (Please Read)

We’d like to start implementing these changes at next week’s meeting (January 11). Please read them. Any feedback on these proposals can be sent to

The proposed changes can be summed up as “Fewer people speaking each week, but speaking about higher value topics and giving more context.”

The details are:

  1. There is no need to come up to the front and speak for routine updates. These routine updates should still be listed on the wiki, but there is no need to come up and read them aloud.
  2. The moderator will not call you up to speak unless you have specifically requested a speaking slot. To request a speaking slot, simply edit your section of the wiki page to say “We have an item to present” or something similar. (Note that this means you’ll need to add your update to the wiki before the meeting starts in order to get called on… hint, hint!)
  3. Don’t feel like you have to present every time. It should be normal for a team to give a spoken presentation only once every 2-3 weeks.
  4. Everyone should make a habit of reading the wiki, and speakers should assume that the audience is reading it. I.e. don’t give an update just to say “Read the wiki”.
  5. Because fewer people will be speaking, we should have more time to go into a little more depth and present a little more context, without making the meeting run any longer than 20-25 minutes, about the length that it does now. Think of your spoken update as a micro-presentation. If you’re presenting about a project that some people may not be familiar with, you can briefly summarize what your project is about and why it’s important. This should make the meeting easier to follow especially for people who are tuning in for the first time.
  6. The contents of a presentation should focus on what is highest value to the people who are taking time out of their day to attend. It’s fine to mention your team’s recent accomplishments, but in general, information about what’s happening now is higher-value than information about things that finished last week. The highest-value information to present might include:
    1. Information that gives context to the decisions that people make in their work, especially information that they might not know otherwise. For instance: The results of research about the habits, opinions, or demographics of our users might be in this category.
    2. Calls to action: For example, a product nearing release that your team needs help stress-testing, or a marketing/PR initiative that you are looking to get people to participate in.
  7. We should have time for a handful of lightning talks (2-3 minutes each) each week, so think about whether your presentation would benefit from showing a couple of slides or a very short demo; please let the moderators know about it ahead of time so that we can prepare the A/V equipment.

Friends of the Tree

Development Updates


( Projects | Status | Goals | People )

Firefox 3.6 (Namoroka)

  • waiting on a couple of final bugs before we build RCs sometime this week
    • one JavaScript bug, 1.9.2 patch exists, just needs review and to land
    • couple of layout bugs need evaluation

Firefox Future

  • discussion in newsgroups about new plan for Firefox “Lorentz”, which has been proposed as a short-cycle release off the 1.9.2 branch to deliver out of process plugins and improved updater
  • rest of team is working on 1.9.3 targets (see projects, above)

Team News


  • In the RC phase for 3.6 with 5 platform blockers remaining. Of those, there’s one TraceMonkey bug that needs a branch patch and a Fennec bug that has a workaround.
  • A discussion is in progress about plans for the next release, especially about the focus on out of process plugins, schedule, other features/changes that might be included, and branch management. Catch the thread here.
  • Josh Matthews, an intern in New Zealand, starts today assisting with the implementation of multi-process browsing on mobile devices, particularly allowing extensions and JetPacks access to web page content without blocking the browser UI.
  • Introducing Benoit Girard. A Waterloo intern, in Toronto, who will be working on out of process plugins for Mac OS X.
  • Blockers:
    • P1: 0
    • P2: 1
    • P3: 0
    • Other: 4
  • Team blocker numbers:
    • Layout: 0
    • Content: 0
    • GFX: 1
    • JS: 1

Branch work: Firefox 3.0.x / Firefox 3.5.x / Thunderbird 2.0.0.x

Firefox 3.0.17 / Firefox 3.5.7

  • three fixes in this release, two stability issues, one updater related issue
  • been in beta for 2.5 weeks
  • scheduled for final release tomorrow (1/5/2010).

Firefox 3.0.18 / Firefox 3.5.8

  • schedule for this release will be changing to make way for holidays
  • will potentially co-ordinate with a Firefox 3.6.1 as well
  • please don’t relax too much on your bug fixes, though!



  • The 2.0.2 release will be on the same Gecko as Firefox 3.5.7 but a number of days later due to taking an additional SeaMonkey-specific fix (hang in address autocomplete on win32), builds are generated as we speak.



Last Couple Weeks

  • Rolled out geo-ip aware bouncer/download.mozilla.orgbug 459919
    • Still fine tuning
  • San Jose Production ESX upgrades
    • Went from 4 ESX hosts to 3!
    • Increased cluster capacity from 32Ghz of CPU to 72Ghz (even with one less host)
    • It is fast.
  • Completed NetApp OS upgrade
  • Web stuff
  • b01 Database Cluster work


  • Phoenix!
    • We’re building out our Phoenix data center

Release Engineering

  • Fennec RC (and respins) by Aki. Process started on NYE.
  • Downtime last night. All releng systems were offline but should be back now. Please let us know if you see something missing.
  • Upcoming talos performance rebase-ing
    • 100 new minis should be racked by jan 15, after which we’ll be starting the rebase-ing


Test Execution

  • Shipped Fennec 1.0 RC! Lots of testing, with over a dozen bugs filed
  • Testing of 3.5.7/3.0.17 in progress. ETA End of Day.
  • Testing of MU trial to 3.6b4 in progress. ETA End of Week.

Web Dev Testing

  • No updates due to the holidays

Metrics, Accessibility, Localization, Community

  • Testday on Mobile Firefox 1.0 RC this Friday! — Linkified

Test Development

  • Giant unit test refactoring patch due to land in a matter of days. No changes expected to any systems: bug 530475
    • It is waiting on the fix to bug 537739 before it lands.
  • More info here.


  • No updates.



  • Firefox for Maemo RC 1 released


  • Plugin Checker Dynamic Buttons are now available! You can find them at the bottom of the Plugin Checker Page. Please add one to your blog/website to help spread the word.
  • Community marketing call this Wednesday, January 6th at 10 a.m. PDT/18:00 UTC
    • Dial-in Info: +1.650.903.0800, followed by 92# and then 7391#
    • Or you can use our toll-free number: +1.800.707.2533, followed by 369# and then 7391#. If you’re outside the US, use Skype to call in with our toll-free number.
    • You can also watch the meeting live in Open Video at air mozilla
    • For those that can’t make the call or want to participate online, join us in #marketing on IRC (
    • Agenda:
      • We’ll be focusing on the mobile launch, as well as Please send Mary (mary at mozilla dot com) any other items.

Campus Reps

  • Please welcome back William Reynolds, a marketing intern from last summer! He’ll be taking the lead on Campus Reps. Stay tuned for some fun changes.


  • Foundations of Open Media Software January 13 – 15, 2010; Wellington, New Zealand.  Perfect venue to promote open video.  We are currently sponsoring this – Matthew Gregan, Chris Double and Chris Pearce will be attending and representing Mozilla.
  • Interaction10 (IxD10) February 4-7, 2010; Savannah, GA.  Labs looking into sponsoring this event. 
  • Techkriti, GNUnify, Quark – February 2010; India.  Seth and Arun will be in India during February to participate in a number of university based events.
  • SXSW Interactive 2010  March 12-16, 2010; Austin, Texas.  Working on a sponsorship opportunity in addition to hosting a Mozilla party.  Should have confirmation on events sponsorship by next week.  Please continue to check our wiki page for information.
  • ROFLCon April 30 – May  1, 2010; Boston, MA.  Looking into a joint sponsorship opportunity with the Mozilla Foundation to live stream the event with open video.


  • Happy new year!


  • Metrics now has a working prototype Hadoop / HBase cluster that can store and retrieve Breakpad/Socorro crash reports. This is a major milestone for the Metrics team so they can begin coordinating with the Socorro team to integrate into their infrastructure the first half of this year.



Developer Tools

No updates for this week.


  • Compatibility up to 74%
    • Should be well over 80% once CoolIris and Java Consoles are updated (should happen during RC)
  • AMO 5.5 code freeze on 1/5, launch next week



Foundation Updates

  • Drumbeat is moving into full gear this quarter. We need some new people to help make this happen. We’re hiring two project leaders and a fundraising support person. Please contact Mark if you know people who would be good for these roles.


  • Introduction – Rainer Cvillink, Video Producer (morgamic)

« Newer Posts

Powered by WordPress