Meeting Notes Meetings notes from the Mozilla community


Mozilla Platform: 2013-06-04

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 11:00 pm

Hot Bugs

(Important bugs for which we need to find owners or additional help. If known, please include suggested team or knowledge needed to advance the bug.)

Orange Factor
  • bug 876068 – B2G Windows desktop builds mostly fail, after a “C:\Tools\sdks\v7.0\include\winnt.h(135) : fatal error C1189: #error : ‘No Target Architecture'”.
    • Affects all dep builds. Do we even need these builds?
    • Please check with Gaia team before disabling these. I would expect them to be needed. (sicking)
    • Filed bug 879370 for fixing the underlying cause w/o TBPL spam.


The Need To Know

(Release and system issues that may impact engineering this week.)

Notices/Schedule (akeybl/lsblakk/bajaj)

  • FF22b4 is going to build EOD (mobile may be decoupled)
  • We’re now more than halfway through the Beta cycle – it’s due or die if you’ve got a tracked bug at this point
  • Our most concerning FF22 issues right now are new crash regressions
    • bug 867226 – Incomplete framebuffer abort in mozilla::layers::LayerManagerOGL::CreateFBOWithTexture with “error 0x8cdd”
    • bug 853774 – crash in imgRequest::GetStatusTracker
    • bug 863313 – crash in mozilla::gl::GLContextEGL::MakeCurrentImpl @… with Vivante GC400 or GC800 core running ICS
47 bugs (37 bugs last week) 30 bugs (43 bugs last week)
Unresolved Aurora 23 Trackers (non-security, not tracked for Beta) Unresolved Beta 22 Trackers (non-security)

Upcoming Outages/Upgrades

(System outages/upgrades and tree closures that impact engineering.)

  • crash-stats will be upgrading Hadoop on Monday June 10 bug 871890 – starting at 9am EDT, crash-stats will be hardhatted for est. 5 hours. [laura]

Key Issues

(Non team specific issues that impact engineering.)

UCOSP – the Undergraduate Capstone Open Source Project – is a final-year credit project for undergrads across Canada, who’ll be working in small, geographically distributed teams. We’ll be hosting their code sprint in mid-September, but the time to start thinking about projects is much sooner than that!

Mike Hoye will talk about this for two minutes, just to put the idea in your heads.

Team Stand-ups

(In <2 mins, what did your team accomplish last week, on what is your team working on this week, and on what, if anything, is your team blocked? No questions during the stand-ups. All questions should be asked during the roundtable.)

Accessibility (dbolter)

Among other things:

  • Making excellent progress on adding and polishing braille support (Max Li (intern))
  • Implementing a way for Gaia to pull in default extensions via build system. (Eitan)
  • Attacking our known test run asserts. (Trevor)
  • Deep in debugging life cycle and text bugs. (Alexander)
  • Some travel/evangelism in Germany. (Marco)
  • Built in screen reader improvements. (Eitan, Yura (volunteer), Marco)

Add-on SDK (dtownsend)

  • Kayaking at JSConf
  • Last week’s meeting minutes
  • Places API is nearly done
  • Toolbar buttons, sidebars and toolbars APIs are in progress. Coordinating with Australis team

Simulator (dtownsend)

B2G Services (dougt/mmayo)

Developer Tools (dcamp)

DOM (jst/dougt)

Firefox Desktop (gavin/dolske)

Last week
  • Australis
    • Continued work on customization and tabs styling (bug 874819, bug 867675, bug 875946) – see root meta bugs bug 732583 and bug 872617 and the dashboard
    • Milestone 6 completes tomorrow. We’ve got almost all of the customizable widgets done (bookmarks widget and character encoding widget are the two big missing pieces).
    • User research team is going to do some focus groups with users on or around June 10th to see what people think of the design.
    • Still on track to ship in 25 cycle
    • Try out a UX build, and please file bugs! Dupes are cheap.
  • Performance
    • New API added to be able to track reflows (bug 453650)
    • Many improvements to new tab opening/preloading to avoid unnecessary layout reflow (bug 878801)
    • Tracked down remaining form-history synchronous SQLite users (bug 876002)
  • Social
Next week
  • Australis
    • continued work, particularly on customization (new widgets, interaction)
    • User research focus groups!
  • Performance
    • enable new tab page pre-loading
    • fix sync’s use of old form history API
    • determine plan for enabling background tab thumbnailing
Blocked on
  • N/A

Firefox Metro (bbondy/jmathies/mbrubeck)

  • Last week:
    • team-status scrum
    • Lots of bug fixes/improvements on front end UI.
    • New default browser telemetry added for all platforms (BROWSER_IS_USER_DEFAULT)
    • APZC prelim investigation / syncup with other teams
    • Software updating from Metro (note addon compat check issue in bug 794937)
  • Continuing:
    • More front end bug fixes, theming, and polish.
    • Sorting out issues with browser registration for automated tests (bug 864940)
    • APZC
  • Misc:
    • Adding a new front end team member (emtwo / Toronto)

Firefox Mobile (mfinkle/blassey)

  • gfx::Point, gfx::Rect, and gfx::Size can now be typed with units at compile-time. See bug 865735 for initial landing and bug 877728 as an example of how to use it. Some explanation also at Relevant files are at layout/base/Units.h and gfx/2d/{Point,Rect}.h and will be fleshed out as more stuff is converted to be typed.
  • bug 867517 Gecko-based WebView for Android landed
    • Still need to figure out how we’re going to package it for 3rd parties
  • bug 877203 New fonts for content (Clear Sans) landed and bounced, may need help figuring out reftest failures
  • bug 866957 Collect and report cell tower and WiFi AP info, landed behind a pref
  • ANRs (Android chrome-hangs) have been reduced from 21.6 reports/day for first 3 weeks of 23 nightly, down to 13.8 reports/day for first 3 weeks of 24 nightly (36% decrease). This can be attributed to our new ANR reporter and focus on fixing those hangs.
  • bug 862377 UI for WebRTC has landed in nightly, which means we plan to turn WebRTC support on by default in Fx24
  • bug 878123 and bug 878868 we plan to start shipping x86 support in Beta

GFX (milan)

  • Back from a joint “rendering” work week in Taipei
  • Active work:
    • off main thread image animation
    • D2D 1.1
    • SkiaGL
    • joint work on async pan-zoom on mobile; sorting out metro

Identity (jedp)


  • The Native team in Identity is Jed, Austin King, and Zach Carter (50% time)
  • Primary efforts: b2g, desktop firefox, WebRTC
  • Austin King is working on Persona sign-in to browser UI
  • Jed is working on b2g and desktop
  • Zach will help out on b2g with device sign-in, looking ahead to picl and identity-attached services
  • Ryan Seys joins Identity as a Summer intern, working on Persona auth for WebRTC
    • Have met with ekr and bbrittain
  • Austin, Jed, and Crystal Beasley (aka Skinny) mini work weekend Friday thru Sunday for native desktop

JS (naveed)

  • DONE
    • ARM raytrace regression fixed – bug
    • JS h264 decoder memory utlization bug fixed
    • Exact rooting fuzz bugs
    • Started ES6 self-hosted Arrays extras
    • Work on getting –ion-eager switch in the browser for fuzzers.
    • Landed in inbound a script to import selected subsets (ch06/, intl402/) of ECMAScript’s test262 suite, those tests to run every push; landed those subsets in inbound.
    • Closed (bug 831507 ) – Adding GGC post-write barriers to baseline compiler code generation.
    • Put more work on a well-commented pseudo-implementation of ES6 module loaders. You can see it here:
    • Increase FFI asm.js call performance
    • Static rooting analysis precision improvements
    • Green GGC on tbpl
    • Implement proxy invoke trap (bug 878605 )
    • Removing unneeded #includes in SpiderMonkey in the hope of speeding up compile times (bug
    • clean-up memory pressure patches. (bug 876029 ) & (bug 869263 )
    • find regression on Sunspider (between May 21st to 29th)
    • Bug 878992 – Remove unused TypeObject flag OBJECT_FLAG_UNINLINEABLE which was only relevant for now-defunct JM.
    • Bug 859609 – Enable inlining of anonymous lambdas and functions-which-use-their-scope-chains in Ion.
    • Begin Asm.js parser

Layout (jet/dbaron)

  • (two weeks ago) we met, with Graphics and Media, in Taipei
  • a bunch of the team (dbaron, fantasai, jet, jdaggett, SimonSapin, heycam) at SVG and CSS Working Group meetings this week
  • off main thread animations finally has some test coverage, or will very soon (bug 788549), which is a step towards enabling it on non-B2G platforms
  • zoom-in and zoom-out values of CSS cursor property now unprefixed (bug 772153)
  • major ongoing projects:
    • making CSS Flexbox paginate correctly (so pages using it will print) (bug 811024)
    • starting to investigate implementing overflow:fragments (bug 874238)

Media (mreavy)

  • WebRTC’s first implementation will be going out in Fx 22 Desktop. We believe all release blockers have been eliminated in Beta 4.
    • Actively looking at Bug 879213 – occasional audio-only latency issue, where audio noticeably lags video (it may be more common in certain network situations or environments). We believe it affects all products (desktop and mobile).
    • TURN support ( is coming in Fx 23.
  • Working with the team in Taipei to get WebRTC working on B2G
  • WebRTC’s work week is next week in Sunnyvale (10 mins from the MV office)
  • Ben Brittain is the new intern for WebRTC. He is working on hooking up WebRTC to telemetry
  • Made good progress on improving H.264/MP4 playback performance on Win 7/8. There are 2 known bugs related to H.264/MP4 playback:
    • Bug 875644 – HE-AAC doesn’t work properly (HE-AAC is not very common yet on the web)
    • Bug 879099 – Minor regression with color saturation on Nvidia
  • Close to finishing gstreamer backend for Linux to enable H.264 playback, but B2G work is taking priority this week
  • On track to deliver the first part of MSE (Media Source Extensions) by end of the month (i.e. a first phase of adaptive streaming [chunked multi-bitrate/resolution streaming] support that enables DASH-JS)
  • roc: Fixed a few video controls bugs affecting YouTube last week. People are now working on a few different video playback issues with the Youtube app, hoping to have them fixed this week.

Necko (dougt/jduell)

  • Update on Disk Cache rewrite (jduell) wiki page
  • Deliver network data (i.e. call OnDataAvailable) off main thread (sworkman)
    • 1st targets: HTML parser, imglib
  • Http2, for real (patrick)
  • starting work on adding more predictive network connection support (connect for partial awesome bar entries, hover over link, etc).
  • Fixing youtube hang on B2G bug 870564

Performance (vladan)

  • Dhaval Giani is our new intern. He’ll be working on adding transparent compression to ext4.
  • Avi Halachmi landed VSync support on Windows (bug 856427). He’s now working on improving Talos animation tests (bug 854746 + bug 845943)
  • Aaron Klotz is working on a patch to report main-thread NSPR & SQLite I/O to the profiler (bug 867762)
  • Irving and Felipe are re-factoring the Addon Manager to store configuration in JSON files instead of SQLite DBs + move I/O operations off the main thread (bug 853388 + bug 853389).
  • Yoric added a warning when storing prefs >16kb (bug 872981)
  • Yoric is working with ttaubert to refactor session store (bug 874381)
  • Yoric is working on a pure-async mozIStorageAsyncConnection (bug 702559)
  • Nathan Froyd is working on a new client-side Telemetry design
  • Glandium has been making improvements to build. He’s moving to Japan, resuming work as contractor on June 25th.
  • Julian Seward is working on multi-threaded stack unwinding on Android
  • I’m working on reducing amount of startup I/O (bug 810156)

Services (connor)

<Read Only>
Health Report: desktop stable, gps on PTO; Android underway, part-landed on m-c, still tracking for uplift to 23.
Sync service still working through outage (largely due to hardware failures). Things are improving. Contact mmayo for details.

WebAPI (overholt)

Last week:

This week:

B2G (sicking)

  • We’re essentially done with v1.0.1 development!
  • Next release, v1.1, is happening from the same b2g18 branch.
  • Release after that, v1.2, is likely going to be based on Gecko 26. Unlikely to be earlier.

Quality Programs

(An opportunity to hear about status with the various quality programs that do not have a formal team structure.)

Critsmash (dbolter)

  • Smash those crits.

MemShrink (njn)

OrangeFactor (ryanvm)

  • Past week’s OrangeFactor: 5.90 (Previous Week: 5.74). 4.32 ignoring resolved/disabled bugs.
  • Most frequent oranges are infra-related.
  • 13 intermittent failures fixed in the last week – List – Thanks!.

Stability (kairo/bsmedberg)

  • Between bug 831768 and the Flash 11.7 release, Flash crashes and hangs across all Windows versions (including XP!) are down by almost 50% in Firefox 21 / Flash 11.7 compared to Fx 20 / Flash 11.6!
  • Overall numbers across channels look pretty good.


(Comments and questions that arise during the course of the meeting or otherwise do not have a section.)

<Read only beyond this point>

Mailing List Threads

(Threads that are likely to be of interest to engineering from various mailing lists.)

Good Reads

(Links to blog posts, books, videos, etc. that you think will be of interest to others.)

Engineering Meeting Details

  • Tuesday 2013-06-0411:00 am Pacific
  • Dial-in: conference# 98411
    • US/International: +1 650 903 0800 x92 Conf# 98411
    • US toll free: +1 800 707 2533 (pin 369) Conf# 98411
    • Canada: +1 416 848 3114 x92 Conf# 98411
    • FR/Paris: +33 1 44 79 34 80, x92 Conf# 98411
  • Engineering Vidyo Room / Warp Core / SFO-Boardroom / Tor Commons
  • join #planning for back channel


Mozilla Project: 2013-06-03

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 11:00 pm

All-hands Status Meeting Agenda

Items in this section will be shared during the live all-hand status meeting.

Friends of the Tree

  • Jérémie Patonnier and David Bruant for hosting meetups during the MDN sprint this past weekend, along with everybody who contributed to MDN during the sprint. (See this ether pad for details)
  • Mozillian Bartosz Piec and crew from the Mozilla Poland community for their help with the Warsaw Firefox OS App Day this past Saturday

Upcoming Events

Tuesday, 04 June

WebFWD Community Mixer

5pm – 7pm, Mozilla San Francisco 7th Floor

This is a time to meet our teams the day before they pitch to the world in Mountain View. Come have a beverage, snack and get to know them before they start sweating ;).


User Experience Research Talk


Simulcast on Air Mozilla

Topic: Firefox Desktop User Types in North America

Presenter: Bill Selman

Have you ever wondered who is using Firefox on the desktop and how they are using it? Do you want to know which facets of our user base are enthusiastic about new features vs. users who are reluctant to see any changes at all? Are you interested to learn which category of Firefox user type you fit into and how representative you are of a larger Firefox population?

The User Experience Research team has collected a great deal of data to answer these questions and is eager to share it with you. Bill Selman, Senior UX Researcher, will present findings from a three part qualitative and quantitative study of Firefox users in North America. He will present how those users fit into six specific categories of user types based on their behaviors, motivations, beliefs, and attitudes.

Wednesday, 05 June

WebFWD Graduation
Test Run: Noon – 1pm PST, Mozilla Mountain View 10 Forward + Air Mozilla

Open Demos: 6pm – 8pm PST, Mozilla Mountain View 10 Forward + Air Mozilla

This is THE day: our teams will pitch to you – investors, professionals, developers, entrepreneurs all committed to making the web better! Feel free to invite others with similar interests.

RSVP for the evening event at

Product Status Updates (voice updates)


Speaker Location: no verbal update this week

  • Maker Party 2013 kicks off June 15! Thousands of people getting together at events around the world to make and share stuff on the web
  • This post gives an update on plans, next steps, and what partners are bringing to the party:
  • A partner effort launched in the UK yesterday. Mitchell Baker and the British Chancellor of the Exchequer, George Osborne, helped launch the UK “Make Things, Do Stuff” campaign. Learn more here
  • Webmaker booth at Vancouver’s Mini Maker Faire!

Firefox OS

Speaker Location: Dietrich

  • 1.0.1: Final stages. Nearly zero code change. The future looks bright.
  • 1.1.0: Can now send cat pictures over antiquated protocols. Driving hard to fix remaining blockers, heading quickly into certification phase.
  • Tablets, tvs and billboards. Oh my.

Grow Mozilla

Speaker Location: San Francisco

Help us build a history of Mozilla told by Mozillians. Please share your memories about this Mozilla milestone:


Presenter Title Topic Location Share? Media More Details
William Reynolds Community Tools Yammer forum for Firefox OS launch activities Mozilla San Francisco No Firefox OS launch activities Yammer
Didem Ersoz Program Manager, WebFWD Program June 5: Graduation + Deadline to apply for next class Mozilla San Francisco No WebFWD Application
Kate Naszradi and John Bernard Community Engagement and Product Marketing Firefox OS Launch Camp: Re-Cap Mozilla San Francisco Yes Firefox OS Camp Wiki Page
Mitchell Baker Executive Chair Chris Beard Home office in Barcelona Not sharing screen No links
Mike Morgan (morgamic) Director, Web Development Manager Hacking Session 3 Mountain View Not sharing screen Manager Hacking Wiki

Introducing New Hires

New Hire Introduced by Speaker location New Hire location Will be working on
Mathieu Pillard Wil Clouser PDX Paris Marketplace
Dominik Strohmeier Cori Schauer MTV Berlin FFOS

Introducing New Interns

New Intern Introduced by Speaker location New Hire location Will be working on
Aaron Todd Brian Anderson MV MV Research
Ashish Dubey CVAN MV MV Web Dev
Eston Schweickart Dave Herman MV MV Research
Ganesh Ghosh James Lal MV MV FFX OS
Leon Zhang Potch MV MV Web Dev
John Wong Dan Veditz and Gary Kwong MV MV Web Security
Shawn Nguyen Jake Watkins MV MV Release Eng Ops
Stella Zubeck Bill and Mary MV MV User Research
Samvedana Gohil Anthony Hughes and Juan Becerra MV MV Desktop QA
Swaroopa Vantipalli John Hammink MV MV Mobile QA
Vaidik Kapoor Stephen Donner MV MV Web QA
Amanda Ko Cameron Dawson MV SF Automation and Tools
Joseph Kelly Christina Choi MV SF Metrics
Michael Sullivan Dave Herman MV SF Research
Nikhil Kumar Saptarshi Guha MV SF Metrics
Hannah Quay-del la Vallee Ben Adida MV SF Identity
Jez Ng Alon Zakai MV SF Research
Tanay Delima Diane Bisgeier SF SF WebFWD
Ben Blum Dave Herman MV MV Research
Dhaval Giani Vladan Djeric TOR TOR Platform
Guillaume Abadie Benoit Jacob TOR TOR Platform
Jason Yeo Armen Zambrano Gasparnian TOR TOR Release Eng


Notes and non-voice status updates that aren’t part of the live meeting go here.

Status Updates By Team (*non-voice* updates)



Automation & Tools



Massive improvements to, the Firefox (et al) source code search engine:

  • Indexing and search
    • Much faster (indexed vs. not) performance on many types of queries
    • Add ability to find callers of constructors
    • Differentiate between a const and a non-const function of the same name.
    • Add finding of callers and callees.
    • Add recognition of typedefs.
    • Link macro references.
    • Link class declarations to class definitions.
    • Sort folder listings.
    • Improve regex that delimits JS symbols.
    • Better usability on mobile and WebKit
  • Infrastructure
    • Several thousand fewer lines of code
    • Slim down builds to emit only data, not Python code, making development much faster.
    • Replace ad hoc implementation of process pooling with concurrent.futures.
    • Reworked old-school CGI as a Flask WSGI app.
    • Redesign URLs for MXR parity and future extensibility
    • Tests! CI! Vagrant!
  • Bug fixes
    • Ability to actually enter a query without the JS screwing it up
    • No more crashing when doing negated phrase matching
    • Fix URL- and HTML-escaping bloopers, including XSSes.
    • Don’t duplicate lines in results under some types of queries
    • Many others

Get started contributing to DXR. Questions? Talk to Erik Rose.

  • Dial-in: conference# 8600
    • US/International: +1 650 903 0800 x92 Conf# 8600
    • US toll free: +1 800 707 2533 (pin 369) Conf# 8600
    • Canada: +1 416 848 3114 x92 Conf# 8600
    • FR/Paris: +33 1 44 79 34 80, x92 Conf# 8600

« Newer Posts

Powered by WordPress