Meeting Notes Meetings notes from the Mozilla community


Mozilla Platform Meeting Minutes: 2008-08-06

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Benjamin Smedberg @ 11:01 pm


From MozillaWiki

« previous week | index | next week »


  • Wednesdays – 11:00am Pacific, 2:00pm Eastern, 19:00 UTC
  • Mozilla Building S – <script> conference room
  • 650-903-0800 or 650-215-1282 x91 Conf# 8605 (US/INTL)
  • 1-800-707-2533 (pin 369) Conf# 8605 (US)
  • #shiretoko for backchannel


GFX 1.9.1 Update

  • GFX blocking 1.9.1+
  • GFX wanted 1.9.1+
  • Performance:
    • CMS performance down to 3.2% hit on full talos Tp on Linux; working on getting Win32 numbers
    • Jeff’s got great ARM improvements, common OVER operation is 2.5x faster
    • imglib caching improvements up for review
  • Features:
    • Aero Glass up for review/landing
    • Shadow and spec compat support for canvas (mostly) up for review
    • DirectFB landing this week (support for GTK/DirectFB) (really)

Layout 1.9.1 Update

  • 1.9.1 Layout Bugs
  • Video (roc/cdouble):
  • Acid3: Roc or dbaron, status?
  • SMIL (dholbert):
  • SVG fonts – karlt: won’t be in 1.9.1
  • SVG CSS, roc:
  • media queries (dbaron)
    • landed the Saturday before the summit
    • need to investigate bug 448132: acid3 test fails on Windows due to issues when resizing to 0x0 (but resizing from 0x0 to 100×100 works fine)
    • need to investigate regression bug 448281
  • CSS transforms – keith: under review (roc + dbaron)

Content 1.9.1 Update

  • Content 1.9.1 Bugs
  • Worker Threads:
  • Cross-site XHR:
  • XHR Upload and download progress events?
  • Java/OJI bug:

JS 1.9.1

  • JS 1.9.1 Bugs
  • JS Tracing:
    • Last week’s status:
      • some benchmarks doing well
      • running mostly unmodified
      • discovered some interpreter perf fixes, landing in m-c
    • This Week’s Status:
      • List gathered at the summit for integrating on trunk
      • meta bug: 449436

waiting on something?

JS Enumeration Allocation Consternation




Interpreter creates too many doubles


Reunify jsinterp.c on Windows

Make SpiderMonkey’s const extension JS2/ES4 compatible


elisions in array literals should not create properties (js1_5/Array/11.1.4.js)


Assignment expressions have wrong type (ecma_3/Operators/11.13.1-002.js)


Combine JSOP_LT and JSOP_IFEQ, etc., pairs


Use the property cache for JSOP_NAMEINC, etc.


update jsdtoa with interesting pieces of more-recent dtoa


crash [@ Decompile][@ js_GetSrcNoteOffset] with firebug/jQuery


Implement Object.extend


try inline-threading, at least with GCC if not MSVC


Add trim, ltrim, and rtrim features for javascript strings

general@js.bugs does not escape url




array iteration optimization



js_PutCallObject() is slow.


SM: JSVAL_VOID as a pseudo-boolean


Optimizing the enumeration state allocation


let declarations at top level are turned into var declarations


jsinterp control flow doesn’t flow as specified



should support catchall getters/setters

Decimal Support


refactor ExecuteREBytecode and SimpleMatch

Date.parse cannot even parse “2008-04-26” (should understand ISO 8601)


JSOP_CONCATN for improved chained-concat performance

mark sharp object avoidance

Mobile 1.9.1 Update


  • Need to get reviews scheduled below! Like, now.
  • Core Security Bugs:

Security Reviews

Please complete the Security Review Template for your feature before your scheduled review


review date

Worker Threads



dholbert / roc
Downloadable Fonts

new drop of pixman/cairo, need audit?


native JSON


CSS transforms

Viewport Tag Parsing


Selectors API


Offline storage

JS Tracing and other perf refactoring

Andreas Gal

XHR progress events


media queries

new sqlite drop

HTML5 drag-drop

Neil Deakin

General 1.9.1 Updates

  • offline, dcamp:
    • Last week:
    • This week:
  • HTML5 drag-drop



Thunderbird Meeting Minutes: 2008-08-05

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Benjamin Smedberg @ 11:01 pm


From MozillaWiki

last meeting | index | next week »

Thunderbird Meeting Details


  • Who’s taking minutes?
    • asuth

Action Items

Open (going in to the meeting)

  • dmose to do clarifying post about how TB 3.0 roadmap should work w.r.t feature freeze, string freeze, etc.

Open (post-meeting)

  • dmose: clarifying post about how TB 3.0 roadmap should work w.r.t feature freeze, string freeze, etc.
  • davida: Shredder Alpha 2 release notes bug
  • wsmwk: post to the l10n community about testing alpha2 builds for which there are l10n builds available.
  • dmose: Create flags/searches for beta 2.
  • sipaq: file a bug on getting a thunderbird aggregator going on
  • unknown: file a bug on getting a


Thunderbird:Shredder a2

  • All blockers believed fixed.
  • 3.0a2 Tracking Doc
  • RC builds complete, waiting on website and QA activities.
  • davida has release notes bug

Discussion from meeting:

  • question for QA – what is the plan?
  • wsmwk: focus on testing all three platforms. for BFT, to get full coverage, going to parcel out the tests by last name. piece it out in roughly 4 pieces, give half the alphabet to those pieces, and the other 2 pieces. the 2 pieces being one easy set and one harder set.
  • wsmkwk: there are l10 builds out there. people can test l10 builds and e-mail whether they work or not, but not focus on them.
  • davida: might help to get the l10 team involved. seth bindernagel, simon paquet. simon is going to take on the localization coordination for thunderbird. make sure the tool-chain/etc. is all there.
  • sipaq: can at least try. can post to the l10n newsgroup about this, point them at it. a lot of them have a very active community, which will probably be willing to test this stuff.
  • wsmwk: yeah, I can make that posting. simon, you and I can (collaborate?) on that. was mentioned in the process leading up to firefox 3 that some localizers had problems getting ready. you guys will probably want to discuss what happened with that.
  • sipaq: … we make a cut-off (~2 weeks ago for alpha 2) as to what looks like it’s ready.
  • sipaq: I’ve announced myself to the community yesterday, planning to write up a post of how the build schedule relates to the localizers once all the issues are ironed out there.
  • wsmwk: do you want me to do that posting regarding alpha 2 for test builds prior to announcing them to the public?
  • simon: give it a shot.
  • davida: when is an ETA to have the BFT’s done
  • wsmwk: I have friday the 8th written down. given that this is the first time that we’re doing full BFT, it might be done as earlier as thursday, but I put down friday.
  • davida: need to give IT a heads up that we’re going to change the website.
  • rebron: how much marketing do we want around alpha 2. probably don’t want people doing reviews on it.
  • davida: so this release is called shredder. (branding was inconsistent for a1)… probably won’t push the web-site stuff until Monday.

High-level Tb3 schedule

  • Thoughts on Thunderbird:Thunderbird3:Schedule schedule page?
  • Stuff that needs to be nailed down (all of these are probably slightly slushy)
    • String freeze
    • Feature freeze
    • Extension-API breakage freeze
  • Everyone: please make sure that all high-level features that you want to see in Tb3 have a bug filed and nominated to either block or as wanted.
  • thunderbird-drivers to-do list
    • Create calendar-integration flag
    • Lots of triage to do!
  • Other stuff?

Conclusions from meeting:

  • String freezes for beta1, beta2 happen one week before the code freeze.
  • Any bugs involving string changes that are pushing up against the code-freeze should have their strings broken out into separate patches that go in first, allowing them to make the string freeze while the code can continue to wait on review.
  • Nov 15th as final string freeze; late l10n can happen, but should be avoided.

Discussion from meeting:

  • dmose: (everyone look at timeline)
  • davida: what do we mean by beta1 and beta2. I know what rc1 means.
  • dmose: nothing too fancy. mainly feature freeze and string-freeze are important.
  • rebron: UI freeze?
  • standard8: that’s basically feature freeze
  • dmose: all of this is slightly slushy, but I’m open to other theories on how it should work.
  • sipaq: from a localization point of view. individual string freezes for releases? final string freeze?
  • dmose: what do individual string freezes buy us?
  • standard8: time for the localizers to get their things together
  • dmose: if we don’t, the cost is some won’t be ready for the release?
  • sipaq: localizers don’t like that, at least if they are active. my sense is 1 week or 10 days before the proposed cut-off date. normally, when you say the 9th of september, does that mean you produce a build then and give them over to QA, and then start producing the build on the 4th?
  • dmose: those are code freeze dates. so more like the first thing you said.
  • sipaq: then I would propose something like a week to 10 days before the code freeze. (for the string freeze for the individual release).
  • dmose: seems like a lot. I understand why the localizers would want that. but it seems like there would be a lot of churn.
  • standard8: historically, firefox, what they do if they have stuff that’s going to go in but is waiting for review, they review the patch with just the string freeze, and get that in first. then they get the UI in once it gets reviewed.
  • sipaq: that’s also how it happens in the calendar world too. get your strings in first, and take care of the UI later. there are always times when you push a string fix in, later in. we call it late-l10n string fixes. firefox does it a lot, we try and avoid it for calendar, but it nearly always happens. these are small things, like 1-3 changes per release, because localizers don’t like that.
  • dmose: I’m certainly willing to start off with a 7-day ahead of time string freeze.
  • sipaq: what about the final? 1 week is way too short?
  • dmose: I agree for that. how about 2 weeks?
  • standard8: christmas…
  • sipaq: two weeks is way too short. some localizers will try and do all releases, some will only care about the rc. they’ll wait until the rc is going to come out, and then they’ll localize all the strings between TB2 and TB3 and all of the calendar strings. I would propose a string freeze at the beta2 release or shortly, one or two weeks after that. too hard?
  • dmose: I’m not sure. seems like something to try for. is it okay if we have a few late fixes?
  • sipaq: sorry?
  • dmose: if we say nov 15th as the string freeze, and say a few late-l10n after that. how’s that?
  • sipaq: it should be okay as long as the late changes are far-reaching, and localizers don’t get the intention that we’re doing it deliberately. we should at least make an effort to get all the strings in for the string freeze.

( some minor discussion )

  • davida: we want as close to feature freeze as possible for beta 2.
  • sipaq: so, 1 week before the beta releases, nov 18 for string freeze.
  • dmose: the interesting thing to communicate may be that, we need to get everything in bugzilla and do a whole bunch of triage, so we know what’s realistic and what we can get done. so you might want to communicate that this isn’t 100% done. it could still change.
  • dmose: it’s not clear how important of a goal it is to have a whole bunch of extensions ready to go at the time we release 3.0. I think it’s a worthwhile goal, but it’s not clear what we’d be trading against.
  • davida: by the end of 3.0, if we do a job right, we’ll have a whole bunch more extensions than we had by the end of 2.0. of course, we don’t want to piss off extension authors. we probably want to find out what the most important thunderbird extensions are and try and get them ported/make sure that they work. (ex: enigmail, etc.)
  • davida: so maybe a bug in there to identify top extensions and talk about early compatibility testing.
  • standard8: once we get to beta2, we need to stop mailnews cleanup and stuff like that . any API changes after beta2 are just bugfixes or things that we really really need.
  • dmose: sounds right to me.
  • dmose: everyone who wants something in thunderbird 3, file a bug in thunderbird 3 and file it to block or be wanted, depending on how severe it is. we’re now trying to use block to indicate that “if this is the last bug, we really would hold for it”, and wanted is everything else.
  • standard8: we did tweak that slightly with blocking-b1, so that we might adjust that for things we need to get into b1 for testing coverage.
  • dmose: that’s a good point; feature-freeze bugs would probably want to block beta2. we don’t have flags for all that right now. certainly the high order bit that we care about is blocking thunderbird 3. but keeping in mind that all this stuff has to land by beta2. probably worth getting all the flags created now so that we don’t run into this again.
  • dmose: so from now, we probably want to be driving via bugzilla. the resulting to-do list for drivers is that we’re going to have a calendar integration flag. and there’s tons of triage on the driver’s plates.

that’s all I’ve got on the high-level tb3 stuff. anything else people want to talk about?

  • jcranmer: one question I want to have is how much of a goal is being able to add new account types in thunderbird 3.
  • dmose: I think it would be awesome, but I don’t know how to answer the question.
  • davida: would it be awesome? yes. would we block for it, the impression I Got from last week is that we’d then ship in 2010.
  • standard8: I think account management, yes, it would be really nice to have that. I don’t see any advantage in blocking on it, given that we don’t have any extension authors shouting down our backs to get there.
  • davida: I think it would be really nice to be able to do twitter or IM back-ends.
  • (dmose: my doorbell is stuck on, I’m going to run down and try and deal with that)
  • davida: I think people would love to be able to do generalized messaging… if there’s a way to do lightweight new accounts, that would be great, but otherwise I don’t know.

(general conclusion seems to be we won’t block on it)

Thunderbird:Thunderbird 3.0b1

  • Code freeze 9th September.
  • String freeze 2nd September.
  • Flags/searches are there.

Discussion From Meeting:

  • dmose: code freeze on 9th september. Standard8 has agreed to be the release driver on this one.
  • s8: as we’ve just decided, string freeze is 2nd september. we’ve already got the beta1 flags up, and I’ve already created the shared searches for that. I think that’s it for now.

QA Updates

  • Held Bugday during Summit but poor results
  • In light of various new features that rely on offline/online infrastructure, we (devs, etc) should very concerned about all outstanding bugs regarding offline – it’s a big list. Triage pending.

Discussion from meeting:

  • wsmwk: don’t have much. given that we have a lot of features going in that rely on offline/back-end stuff. I talked to people on the way up to summit on the bus, and they mentioned problems that they have in this area. it seems like we should put a little bit of focus on it. I have a query there, and I’ve only started looking on it. but if you want to take a look on that, anybody, on bugs which you think you have some insgiht on, that would be great. I think we’ll hit this on the next bugday.
  • davida: sounds like a really good buglist, sounds like something it would be good to have emre look at. would especially be great to know which ones can be reproduced.
  • (wsmwk indicated he is in contact with emre)


Status Updates


From meeting:

  • davida: great to meet all the mailnews people at the summit. it felt like a lot of the things we’re trying to do fit realy really wel with mozilla overall. where data should live, how much control people should have over their data. I think we can be part of that story quite wel. the other one is the forward-thinking stuff that mozilla labs is doing, I think we can be part of that quite well. the only problem I had with the summit was I didn’t get to talk with all the people I wanted to.

  • Spent much of the week doing summit stuff, including…
  • Getting the foundations of Weave working in Thunderbird. Some (though not all) is being tracked by bug 446444. I’ll try and get bugzilla more up-to-date this week.
  • Upgraded Eclipse to version 3.4; and updated the page somewhat to help other folks


(not present)

  • Summit (now catching up)
  • Reviews
  • bug 429891 Extra CR LF inserted every 10 KB in message in POP3 Sent folder
    • Also includes test case for sending a message from a file and checking that the message is correctly received at the server, and correctly saved to the sent folder.
  • Helped with hg switch over and did related bugs bug 446604, bug 446692.
  • bug 443351 Branding file relocation
  • bug 441526 Implemented highlightNonMatches in toolkit autocomplete.
  • bug 408613 Address Book preferences pane reconstruction

From meeting:

  • standard8: not much apart from what I’ve got there. oh, replacement menus for the menus in the addressbook which use RDF.

  • (summit)
  • lots of gloda progress! (but not enough milestones announced/tagged)
    • body extraction works (roughly speaking, it may extract ‘too much’ in multipart/alternative cases)
    • refactored indexing to use generators for cleaner logic
    • added starred/read/tag attributes
    • preliminary ‘action’ support added (provides the horrible check-boxes, but should have a use in a usable future as wel)
    • preliminary support for plugin-defined tables.
    • basic address-book card entry mapping (very basic), should get better with Dan’s uuid mods.
    • exciting plugins leveraging the body extraction…
      • phone number recognition/indexing/searching
      • bugzilla is/references recognition/indexing/searching
      • URL recognition/indexing/searching
  • underway gloda things:
    • friendly query mechanism
    • nsIMsgDBView backed by gloda. This makes the inbox-fusion stuff do-able using gloda (plus all the other new folder-pane stuff), and a potential basis for cross-folder replacement under the traditional (non-expmess) UI.
  • near-term gloda/expmess plans:
    • get a first pass at auto-completing search-bar hooked up to the gloda-backed nsIMsgDBView. This will expose the gloda functionality that the horribly ugly ‘data mine’/’data miner’ checkbox explosion currently accomplishes. We (clarkbw) can then put the data mine back into useful shape and make it even more useful.
    • officially push a new milestone with XPI’s
    • document gloda plugin creation on the wiki.


  • dmose: what about getting it into the tree? is it worth pushing XPI?
  • asuth: current new features could cause some changes, since I’m rolling iterative, so I figure after that it makes sense to push new xpi’s etc. then I figure some unit tests and try and get it reviewed and into tree.
  • dmose: do we expect it to be feature-complete when it goes in?
  • asuth: pretty much, perhaps some additional high-level aggregation for extension authors. otherwise, I think most of the changes after that (for expmess) can just be in extension-space and we can avoid major API changes.


(not present)

  • Survived (enjoyed, even) Mozilla Summit. It was great to meet so many contributors for the first time.
  • Landed CondStore support bug 336151 and fixed a regression it caused bug 448558
  • Fixed bug 408861, alert about server not being imap 4 server when connection lost
  • Fixed crash if rebuild index is executed during compact, bug 392015
  • Fixed filter copy action after filter move action, bug 376235
  • Fixed bug 300487 saved search folder is bold w/o unread messages
  • Removed unused uuencode code, bug 216075
  • Working on adding support for threading and grouping in our saved search views – bug 379806
  • Will be traveling during the status meeting

  • Flooded in email
  • Glad to be back (in one piece)
  • Switched to Mercurial
  • Planning to resume work on offline message download:

  • Summit-ed plenty, survived, managed to get myself home eventually, with one more travelling hicup
  • Had lots of talks with the Release Enginering Team (and learned tons)
  • Buildbots are GREEN:
    • Nightlies
    • Builders
    • Unit Tests
    • Leak Tests wanted bug 428398
  • Thunderbird 3.0 Alpha 2 bug 445991
  • Mozilla Messaging CA and who gets access to our resources ?

From meeting:

  • gozer: (our resources?)
  • dmose: traditionally, play it by ear, as people that we trust need access, give them access.
  • davida: I totally agree, I think it means what you mean by access. generally I think we want to be flexible. since we have so much less in the way of valuable assets, we can probably be looser with our keys than moco can.


  • made excellent QA, localizer, and other contacts at Summit
  • numerous suggestions made about litmus, QAC (Quality Companion)
  • prepped for Alpha 2 QA
  • working to put up a global map of QA participants
  • used offline, online functionality heavily over past 1.5 weeks and finding it rather painful at times … bugs etc
  • completed core mailnews QA and assignee cleanup 979 bugs with Serge´s help just prior to bmo reorg, and stage 1 of which is now completed

From meeting:

  • wsmwk: already got started with the l10n builds sign-off.
  • wsmwk: glitch in hand-off of alpha2 builds, so we lost a few days there.
  • wsmwk: one thing I think would be interesting would be to put up a map of where the QA participants are.
  • wsmwk: not too much going on until gerv gets back about changes in mozilla bug components.
  • sipaq: does anybody know why there are no trunk l10n thinderboxes for thunderbird? for different locales which actually support thunderbird?
  • dmose: there’s a bug on getting that with hg, but I don’t think there were any in the past, are you asking why that is?
  • sipaq: I think there were (some that are on)… I’ll ping (someone?)

  • A lot of work on fakeserver:
    • It now passes some of Dovecot’s IMAP server tests, but many fail because imapd doesn’t handle two connections accessing the same mailbox
    • All that’s needed is to add tests in imap/test
  • Posted morkreader (bug 424446) patch, awaiting reviews…
  • Ran Dehydra GCC on mailnews, no errors!
  • Attended summit, but had some annoyances with Air Canada on the trip back
    • Have notes for Tamarin Tracing, Static Analysis, and XPCOM GC sessions, will post soon


(not present)


(not present)

  • On vacation this week, hope comm-central works well enough until I’m back 🙂


(not present)

  • summit
  • Doing a lot of setup: getting acquainted with Mozilla Marketing/PR team, setup accounts for other mail services, Windows Mail, Windows Live Mail, Zimbra, etc.
  • Started quest for a Thunderbird plushie (or snowboard).

From discussion:

  • dmose: I encourage people to try and live in another mail client for a week or two or three.
  • rebron: I can put up write-ups of my experiences with other mail clients if that would be useful for other people. (extra: yahoo webmail, gmail, etc.)



  • sipaq will file a bug on getting a thunderbird aggregator going on
  • someone should file a bug about getting a planet mozilla messaging. (different from the thunderbird aggregator presumably in that it’s inclusive of everything, where I think the thunderbird aggregator is targeted only to specific tags or other means of limiting the posts to thunderbird-specific things, possibly targeted.)


  • sipaq: what are the communication channels right now for getting things out on thunderbird? as far as I know there’s the website, there’s the individual blocks of people. but from a blog perspective, there’s nothing there that’s like an official blog or something.
  • davida: right, so we were planning on doing a blog on, or rather a planet messaging.
  • dmose: I think there’s a different use case between an official blog and a planet.
  • davida: concerned about an official blog being a chore to do and a chore to read. I think we could have an official l10n blog that is relevant to the community.
  • dmose: my experience doesn’t really match yours, but I agree that if people are finding it a chore to do, people will find it a chore to read.
  • sipaq: I’m thinking of pushing out 3-6 messages per year to localizers, so I don’t think a blog is right for that, since I think it needs to have continual content. but with an official blog with other stuff covered, it would be enough content for a blog. stuff like dmose is publishing the release schedule. and the idea of planet mozilla messaging is a very good idea all by itself.
  • davida: so, two aggregators, one from the whole planet, and then an official one, from… somewhere… to me the calendar blog is interesting, it’s at least semi-official. you know who’s writing it, it has a voice, etc.
  • dmose: certainly something analogous to the calendar blog sounds interesting to me.
  • sipaq: okay, so where do we go from here
  • davida: so I guess there’s two bugs. one to create an official blogger aggregator, and one is to… what are your thoughts rafael?
  • rebron: I need to check in with mozilla marketing on what they’re doing. I think they do have an official blog. from a marketing perspective, it sounds good to have one aggregator.
  • davida: so I think this issue is about the outer circles of the community, not marketing. sipaq, do you think we should have an official blog with accounts for people, or an aggregator?
  • sipaq: from my experience in the calendar world, it only really works if someone is pushing everyone hard about it. I’ve been trying to do it. an aggregator would work too, it would probably work better. we don’t have that, so we chose that alternative.
  • davida: the only problem is that people who want to post need to post a blog. why don’t you (sipaq) post a bug about that against mozillamessaging and gozer will take care of that.
  • davida: talking to the l10 community, the dev community. people who are interested in thunderbird but not interested enough to pick the thunderbird bits out of planet.mozilla.


davida, dmose, standard8, asuth, emre, gozer, clarkbw, wsmwk, jcranmer, rebron, sipaq

Firefox 3.1 Meeting Minutes: 2008-08-05

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Benjamin Smedberg @ 11:00 pm


From MozillaWiki

« previous week | index | next week »

Firefox 3.1 Meeting Details

  • Tuesdays – Firefox 3 – 11:00am Pacific, 2:00pm Eastern, 18:00 UTC
  • Mozilla Building S
  • 650-903-0800 or 650-215-1282 x91 Conf# 217 (US/INTL)
  • 1-800-707-2533 (pin 369) Conf# 217 (US)
  • #shiretoko for backchannel

(See Platform#Meeting_Notes for Gecko 1.9.1 progress)

Firefox 3.1

  • Status of items that didn’t make Alpha 1
    • offline storage / local storage – try to get it in this week/next week
    • downloadable fonts – mostly works, some hacky bits, big issue will be clean
    • native JSON – going well, not at risk
    • media queries – landed!
    • Password Manager to mozStorage – nailed down, working on tests, not at risk
  • New in nightlies
    • <video> using Ogg
    • media queries
  • Items identified as At Risk / Long Poles
    • worker threads – potential risk, still looking hard
    • SVG image decoding – CUT
    • bulk tagging (bug 412002) – some add-on uplift available
    • add-on updating – waiting for rob on review, needs testing
    • private browsing mode – at severe risk
    • front end polish work – unscoped, underresourced, at risk
    • prism uplift – at risk
    • color management profile on by default – Making progress – will determine if libpr0n threading is necessary by the end of wed
    • Places performance work
    • default theme cleanup/revisions
  • Security reviews
    • beltzner to whip
  • Beta 1 Schedule
    • proposed code freeze August 19th, string freeze August 15th
    • 20 blockers for 3.1/1.9.1
    • 89 blocking nominations
    • ongoing 2.0.0.x / 3.0.x work to consider
    • joduinn unsure that we can get the l10n-infra requirements done in time
      • issue1: aaravind needs to set up l10n repos (he’s on vacation this week)
      • issue2: cvs files from old l10n repos need to be migrated & verified
        • snapshot? manual? axel and john disagreed
      • issue3: need to test / try to see if automation works
      • issue4: localizer tutorial on mercurial
      • no eta on how long issues2/3/4 will take
      • beltzner, joduinn and pike to take this offline


  • one repo per locale that overlays all mozilla projects
  • see above, potential long pole for Beta 1
  • will likely import a snapshot from CVS, losing blame history (significantly easier)


  • Firefox 3.1 TestPlan
  • Pairing QA resources to features
  • Feature Areas needing more information (dev, spec):
    • add-on updating – waiting for rob on review, needs testing
    • private browsing mode – needs resource, at risk
    • front end polish work – unscoped, underresourced, at risk
  • QA resources will be light in August


  • FF3.1b1 will be done manually.
    • no updates from alpha -> beta


  • bug 448616 – we have no symbols for nightlies
  • bug 433710 – graph server still isn’t looking at memory leak configurations


Mozilla Project Meeting Minutes: 2008-08-04

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Benjamin Smedberg @ 11:00 pm


From MozillaWiki

« previous week | index | next week »

Meeting Details

  • 1:00pm Pacific time (20:00 UTC until November 2, 2008)
  • Mozilla HQ, 1st floor conference table
  • +1 650 903 0800 x91 Conf# 8600 (US/International)
  • +1 416 848 3114 x91 Conf# 8600 (Canada)
  • +1 800 707 2533 (pin 369) Conf# 8600 (US Toll Free)
  • join #staffmeeting for backchannel

note: all participants are muted automatically; if you want to talk, press *1 to un-mute yourself

Friends of the Tree

(I’m out of the office today. Sam or Tim, can one of you please announce the Friends?! -A)

  • Schrep nominated Ted for “seriously kicking ass to fix tests to not fail intermittently” Let’s hear it for Ted!
  • Asa asks that you all recognize all the people that prepared and delivered great talks, discussions, and presentations at the Summit.
  • Asa also wanted to recognize John Lilly and the Steering Committee for supporting the biggest and most productive gathering of the Mozilla community ever.
  • Last, and definitely not least, too many people to list wrote in nominating Dan Portillo for the amazing job he did in organizing and managing the 2008 Firefox+ Summit. This was the largest event undertaking in Mozilla’s history and Dan rocked it!! Let’s have a giant round of applause for Dan!

Please send FotT nominations to This is a great opportunity for the community to recognize those who go above and beyond, so please tell me when you see that happening. Thanks.

Development Updates

Fx / Fx 3.0.2

Since we last talked, Thunderbird shipped and we had a joint post-mortem for Firefox

We’re currently finalizing the schedule for Firefox and 3.0.2. If you have a bug that’s blocking either release, please work on it immediately as we’re more than likely aiming for a release in the next three to four weeks.

TB 3

  • Shredder 3.0alpha2 candidates exist; testing to start soon
  • Thunderbird 3.0beta1 development work underway; code freeze in mid-September

Gecko 1.9.1

  • Proposed Gecko Shiretoko 1.9.1 Beta 1 Freeze: Tuesday, August 19 @ 11:59PM PDT. This is a feature freeze. At this point, we should be wrapping up remaining feature bugs ASAP.
  • Interesting queries related to Gecko 1.9.1
  • 20 1.9.1 blockers.
  • 133 wanted bugs
    • 28 P1s. These are bugs we feel would really, really make a good release if we had a solid handful completed.
    • 41 P2s. These are medium complexity bugs/changes that are nice to have.
    • 36 P3s. The lowest priority bugs for this release. These are the ones that we will definitely take, but the others take priority.

Firefox 3



Release Engineering

  • ESXHost died, taking down trymaster, and handful of slaves.
  • Bunch of unittest fixes landed last week. Please file bugs if you still see any intermittent failures.
  • TB2.0.0.16 automation went fine; Should now be able to do *3* releases at a time! 🙂 This fixes the long standing concern about “long time between TB and FF security releases”
  • See updated



3.1 A1 testing

  • Smoke tests and BFT for this release, including respin testing for Java issue [marcia, hasham, others]

Leak Testing [tomcat] – found 4 more bugs:

  • bug 447863 Firefox leaks when the Live HTTP Headers Extension is installed
  • bug 448071 Firefox leaks when using the ZDF Mediathek (Video on Demand Streaming)
  • bug 448187 Firefox leak during using the Free ebook Search Extension
  • bug 448202 Firefox leaks when using the SearchAll Extension


  • Working on a bugzilla drupal module for QMO. This would allow us to highlight some of the great things community members are doing submitting, triaging and fixing bugs along with giving us easier access to bug charts. [paulc]
  • Met lead Advomatic developer Aaron at OSCON. Continue to work with him to get new QMO theme implemented. We are making great progress; theme looks almost complete. [jay]

Accessibility [marcoz]








  • MDC relaunch scheduled for August 14th.
    • Installed customized toolbar changes to make editing more fun than ever!
    • Waiting on a MediaWiki converter fix from MindTouch so we can do one more test import.
    • Screencast demo of the new MDC is being developed.

Mozilla Labs

  • Snowl presented at Firefox+ Summit last week. Initial prototype will be released this week.

Webdev, Add-ons, AMO

  • Thanks to interns for We’re sad to see them finish next week.
  • SUMO 0.6.1 pushed last week
  • Slides from the AMO General & Editor session are available.


  • Thai language added to Firefox 3 build process; check out the status of all localization efforts at the dashboard. Email sethb with questions about how to use the dashboard.
  • Gandalf presented the “Community Pack” and is welcoming all ideas and contributions. Please mail him at
  • Silme discussed on the dev-l10n mailing list. Another localization tool in development.
  • Armen blogged about l10n build improvements and posted slides he presented at the Summit
  • Adrian Kalla starts today. He will be an intern working on l10n until December.

Foundation Updates

  • Future of the Foundation
    • David, Frank, Gerv, and Zak did a “Foundation road-trip” with Mark Surman from Vancouver up to the summit to discuss future plans. Fortunately the the rock slide waited a day or two and thus avoided wiping out the entire Foundation staff in one fell swoop.
    • We did an interactive “Mozilla Foundation 2.0” session at the summit, with lots of good suggestions from the participants. More on this later as we have a chance to write things up.
  • Upcoming activities
    • Gerv will be on holiday until August 20.
    • Frank is on vacation all this week (August 4-8).


Other Business

  • BMO Reorg Part One completed last Wednesday night / Thursday morning; part two coming in a few weeks

« Newer Posts

Powered by WordPress