Meeting Notes

30-April-2012

Thunderbird Meeting Minutes: 2012-04-17

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 11:31 am

Thunderbird/StatusMeetings/2012-04-17

last meeting | index | next meeting »

Thunderbird Meeting Details :

Remember to use headphones and mute yourself when not talking

Feel free to ask questions in the meeting either by speaking up or by asking them in #maildev on IRC.

Other ways to get in touch with us can be found on our communications page

Agenda

  • Who’s taking minutes? –> andreasn

  • Minute taking Schedule. Talk to Standard8 for schedule changes/additions.
  • Note: this meeting is for interactive discussion. Feel free to ask questions!

Action Items

Friends of the Tree

Thanks to our Friend of the Tree. When adding someone to this section, please get their T-Shirt size, phone number (needed for shipping!) and send it to abourcier@mozilla.com that she can send them a shirt!

Thunderbird Development

For more details, see also the driver meeting notes.

Feature Work

Test Pilot

We published first study a couple of weeks ago so we got the first batch of data back now. Unfortunately Metrics is moving their hardware so we can’t get the data right now, but we’ll get access to it soon. The data might be scewed due to ui issues we had in test pilot, so we’ll push out the first study again with those ui issues fixed.

Filelink (Big Files)
  • Most of the major polish bugs have landed.

  • We’ve just switched over to YouSendIt’s production server
    • We’re still not getting the user’s total storage quota, which is necessary in order to complete the YSI usage graph.

    • Getting “Gateway Timeout” on file deletion on the production server. I’ll file a bug after this meeting.
Instant Messaging
  • Fixing lots of UI bugs

  • Working on instant messaging and mail integration.

Schedule and Progress

Thunderbird 11
Thunderbird 12
Thunderbird 13
Thunderbird 14
Thunderbird 3.1.x & ESR
  • End of Life for Thunderbird 3.1 on April 24th

Extension of the week

  • This week’s extension is a Theme named Walnut2. It make Thunderbird look like being build out of wood. And looks quite nice.

QA Updates

  • Nothing sexy to repport

Marketing Updates

  • Thunderbird recruitment campaign: the goal is to organize a short and pro-active recruitment campaign during month of May. It will mainly focus on explaining what we expect from contributors accross different functions in the Thunderbird group. We think that it’s still intimidating to enroll within community.
  • TB3.1 and earlier version: EOL campaign started. Migration article in Knowledge base with Video on YouTube done.

  • New start page released for EN versions with Tip of the Week.
  • On going communication on FB and Twitter.

Infrastructure Update

Build / Release Update

  • Last week: The main bulk of code and config changes reviewed/landed to get Thunderbird building on Firefox infrastructure.

  • This week: aiming to start doing “parallel builds” of Thunderbird on the new infrastructure. These will go into a thunderbird-test directory on ftp. Continue to monitor progress in bug 698843.
  • Releasing Thunderbird 12.0 final on Tuesday, April 24
  • Thunderbird 12.0 beta 5 ‘go’ today or tomorrow.
  • Thunderbird 3.1.x EOL next week. One more set of major updates to be published to give users an opportunity to move to Thunderbird 12.

Web Update

  • built a script to save time with localizers and the l10n dashboard

  • start page is live on en-US, l10n will begin this week with tip content. Tips will be changed once every three weeks, or so.

Documentation

Support

(If you support Thunderbird or write or translate documentation to help support Thunderbird, please subscribe to the tb-support-crew mailing list and briefly introduce yourself to the list)

  1. TB 3.1->TB11 Upgrade Video is out in English, Check it out on the Thunderbird 3.1 Upgrade Knowledge Base article! We’d love your help localizing it into all other languages!

  2. 1259 new support topics (1459 two weeks ago ) – Media:9-15April2012-GS-TB-Community_stats_for_Mozilla_Messaging.png
  3. Thunderbird 11 Support Issues – Please edit and add any issues or bugs found in TB11 and tag them tb11
  4. See this week’s Support Appendix for full Get Satisfaction metrics and other support details

Upcoming events!

  • TB community day June 1st (not confired yet)

  • TB support camp before Mozcamp Europe

Lightning Updates

Status Updates

See the Mozilla Status Board for status updates specific to developers.

Roundtable Highlights

Attendees

Mozilla Platform Meeting Minutes: 2012-04-17

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 11:31 am

Platform/2012-04-17

« previous week | index | next week »

Platform Meeting Details

  • Tuesdays – 11:00 am Pacific

  • Dial-in: conference# 95312
    • US/International: +1 650 903 0800 x92 Conf# 95312

    • US toll free: +1 800 707 2533 (pin 369) Conf# 95312
    • Canada: +1 416 848 3114 x92 Conf# 95312
  • Warp Core Vidyo Room
  • join irc.mozilla.org #planning for back channel

Contents

Kilimanjaro

  • K9O wiki setup

  • Next steps
    • Product working on logging meta bugs for all top level use cases. We can then start to associate bugs to each of the use cases to create the dependency trees.

    • Project managers will start working with different teams to get features/bugs logged and tagged for K9O.
    • Many items are already in progress so we will have to do some work to tag existing stuff.
    • Working on post for the list about the blocking-kilimanjaro project flag and the process for keeping track of things in bugzilla.

Notices / Schedule

  • Mozilla-Inbound and Mozilla-Central are both Approval Required now to mitigate risk to Fennec Native 14. approval-mozilla-central should now be available for nominations. More details about the daily triage to come on dev-planning.
  • Major Update prompts (with security messaging) to FF11 from 3.6.13-28 will start or tomorrow

  • Testing of the add-on hotfix to communicate the FF13 de-support will occur no later than Thursday 4/19 with our FF12 beta audience (bug 741004)
  • Beta 6 will be going to build this afternoon PT (if the backout in bug 734019 is verified to fix bug 745453)

  • FF12 sign-offs tomorrow at 1PM PT in Warp Core
  • Final build of FF12 and ESR10.0.4 will happen this coming Friday (4/20)
  • Next merge day is 4/24

Firefox Development

  • bug 725408, bug 739636, bug 731541: Much of the initial work for Desktop webapps installation support has landed or is very close to landing on trunk – ongoing efforts by Myk, felipe, bsmedberg, Dan Walkowski, Tim Abraldes and others

  • bug 741004: Matthew Noorenberghe is working on a hotfix add-on that will notify users of Windows 2000 (and pre-SP3 XP) that we’re dropping support for their OS in Firefox 13
  • bug 710259: Mano has landed the new Safari profile migrator (JS!)
  • bug 744152: Tim Taubert tweaked page thumbnails capturing code to reduce performance impact on e.g. tab switching
  • volunteer contributor OHZEKI Tetsuharu has written several cleanup patches for the front-end (bug 745445, bug 745524, bug 745525))

Firefox Developer Tools

  • Pseudo Class Lock UI landed bug 733612

  • Prep for Firefox Workweek

Add-on SDK

Nothing to report this week

Performance

  • Telemetry is currently offline, should be back online by EOD Wed.

GFX

JS

Layout

Video

DOM

WebAPI

Network

Identity

Plugins

Mobile

Accessibility

Tree Management

  • hg successfully migrated to new datacentre last week. Hopefully faster now! Please let IT or RelEng know if you run into problems.

Security

Date / Time Item
Mon Apr 16 / 13:00 PST NONE
Wed Apr 18 / 13:00 PST New Identity Box Design
Thu Apr 19 / 10:00 PST Identity Project BigTent
Fri Apr 20 / 10:00 AM PST Nightly updates PHP script for Lightning

Calendar and Meeting details

General Meeting Details 
* IRC Channel: #security 
* Etherpad: http://etherpad.mozilla.com:9000/secreview 
* Vidyo: https://v.mozilla.com/flex.html?roomdirect.html&key=5XEMsG1ApA4b (Room 9058)
* Dial-in Info (phone): 
** In office or soft phone: extension 92 
** US/INTL: 650-903-0800 or 650-215-1282 then extension 92 
** Toronto: 416-848-3114 then extension 92 
** Toll-free: 800-707-2533 then password 369 
** Conference num 99058

For updates to meetings please see the Security Review Calendar

Bugs marked sec-review-needed that need to be scheduled

ID Summary Status Priority

Stability Report

  • Due to metrics infrastructure data center move on Tues, the crash rate in Socorro will show as 0 Tues and possibly Wed.

  • Some of the explosive reports may not work as well.
  • The top crash lists will be there and this doesn’t affect the collection of any crash data.

Socorro

Desktop

  • Mostly focused on issues for FF12 – http://bit.ly/xNqZhl.

  • Some new issues cropped up that span multiple versions.
    • bug 744779 – Spiking crash with 11.3 veresion. Reprocessing crashes after we uploaded the symbols. Get Ted/Ben to document this process and train others to do this. https://intranet.mozilla.org/Flash_Player_Symbols.

    • bug 745784 – Crash in npswf32_11_2_202_233 – Another new version of 11.2. Causing a spike in crash.
    • bug 744992 – Bug in web.de toolbar. Affecting all FF versions. Engaged with web.de. They are not going to push out that version of the add-on. It’s a startup crash.
  • New problems in FF12b5
    • bug 745453 – New spike to b5. Correlated to Norton Confidential 2012.

Mobile

  • Crash rate down yesterday at 17.23 crashes per 100/ADU.

Top crashes over last 3 days on 14.0a1 – https://crash-stats.mozilla.com/topcrasher/byversion/FennecAndroid/14.0a1/3/browser

  • Note: Graph is a capture from 2012/04/16 at 11:09 AM PDT for a 3 day period

The following are crashes that do not have fixes from the Top Crash List

  1. bug 738198 – dvmAsmInstructionStart – Plugin issue (Reopened; still crashes occurring)

  2. bug 737128 – mozilla::gl::GLContextEGL::ReleaseSurface
  3. bug 730890 – libdvm.so@<address> – (backed out)
  4. bug 731286 – libflashplayer.so@0x157bbe – Assume we can’t do anything here.
  5. bug 745243 – JNI_GetCreatedJavaVMs

Other Socorro work listed in the Mobile Dev Meeting Notes

Roundtable

Mozilla Project Meeting Minutes: 2012-04-16

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 11:28 am

WeeklyUpdates/2012-04-16

« previous week | index | next week »

  • Dial-in: conference# 8600

    • US/International: +1 650 903 0800 x92 Conf# 8600

    • US toll free: +1 800 707 2533 (pin 369) Conf# 8600
    • Canada: +1 416 848 3114 x92 Conf# 8600

Contents

All-hands Status Meeting Agenda

Items in this section will be shared during the live all-hand status meeting.

Friends of the Tree

Upcoming Events

This Week

Monday, 16 April

Tuesday, 17 April

Wednesday, 18 April

  • Security Review for New Identity Box Design bug 742419 (details below in Security)

Thursday, 19 April

  • Grow Mozilla meeting at 10 pacific – a forum to discuss ideas and ask questions about community building.

Friday, 20 April

  • MozCamp LATAM kicks off in Buenos Aires and runs until April 22nd.

Next Week

  • MDN Doc Sprint, Friday April 27 in Mountain View, Sat-Sun 28-29 in San Francisco. If you’re in the area, come help us make MDN docs even better!

Product Status Updates (voice updates)

Firefox Desktop

Speaker Location: toronto

Mobile Firefox

Speaker Location: toronto

Thunderbird

Speaker Location:

Older Branch Work

Speaker Location:

Mozilla Popcorn

Brett Gaylor, remote

Knight-Mozilla Open News Project

Speaker Location: Dan Sinker via phone from Chicago

  • Last week, the application to become a 2012/13 Knight-Mozilla Fellow went live: <a href=”http://mozillaopennews.org/fellowships/apply.html“>
  • Fellows will spend 10 months doing open source development at news organizations around the world: New York Times, BBC, Guardian, Zeit Online, Spiegel Online, Boston Globe, ProPublica, and La Nacion in Buenos Aires.
  • We’re looking for great developers to apply and would love you spreading the word.
    </p>

Identity

Speaker Location:

Services

Speaker Location:

Speakers

The limit is 3 minutes per speaker. It’s like a lightning talk, but don’t feel that you have to have slides in order to make a presentation.

Title Presenter Topic Media More Details
Mentored Bugs and You Josh Matthews How to make good use of mentored bugs for your team http://www.joshmatthews.net/deck.js/mentor/ http://www.joshmatthews.net/blog/2011/09/making-bugs-more-attractive-for-other-people-to-fix/
Firefox Clinic Michael Verdi Wrap-up of how the Firefox Clinic event went Call in with vidyo http://blog.mozilla.org/sumo/2012/04/09/the-firefox-clinic-was-an-absolute-blast/

Introducing New Hires

New Hire Introduced by Speaker location Will be working on
Chris Turra Corey Shields Mountain Views Web Operations
Annie Elliott Gilbert FitzGerald Mountain View Data Analyst, Business Intelligence
David Slater Chris Beard Mountain View VP of Product Marketing
Ed Morley Clint Talbert San Francisco Software Tools Developer, Front-end
Elisabeth Laude Lori Jashinsky Paris Office Service Coordinator

Introducing New Interns

New Intern Introduced by Speaker location Will be working on
Who is the new intern? Who will be introducing that person? From which office will that introduction be transmitted? What will the new person be working on?

Roundtable

<meta>

Notes and non-voice status updates that aren’t part of the live meeting go here.

Status Updates By Team (*non-voice* updates)

IT

  • Sheeri Cabral (one of our awesome DBAs) won a MySQL Community Award for her work in the OurSQL podcast !

  • blog.mozilla.org moved to PHX1 on new infrastructure
  • mail.mozilla.com (Zimbra) ~ completed final cut over to HCI (LDAP masters & proxies moved)
  • hg.mozilla.org relocated to SCL3. New scalable infrastructure.
  • www.mozilla.org (PEK1)
    • spun up www.mozilla.org out of PEK1 (new China-based data center).

    • dropped page load times from 19 seconds to 5 seconds.
  • Relocated DNSSEC signer to SCL3
  • Finished moving and/or decommissioning a VM cluster hosting 130 virtual machines in SJC1 (this was the bulk of our week), including:
    • moved BZR (hosting bugzilla and more) to SCL3, speed improvements were reported after (woot!)

    • moved litmus to SCL3
    • moved l10n dashboard to SCL3
    • moved legacy stage services to SCL3
    • moved security assurance services to SCL3
    • moved MoCo addressbook to new corp infrastructure in PHX1
    • moved MDN Staging environment to SCL3
    • re-routed irc services out of SJC1, took sand offline
  • work began on migrating the “generic” web cluster in PHX1 to new, faster hardware. Should be completed this week.
  • Preparing to migrate http://wiki.mozilla.org/ to PHX1 on new, faster “generic” web cluster this week
  • RelOps
    • instantiated 50 new linux and linux64 Firefox builders in SCL3 to replace existing infrastructure in SJC1

    • substantially faster new OS X Firefox builders in production for mozilla-central

Firefox

Platform

Services

Messaging

Mobile

Release Engineering

QA

Test Execution

WebQA

  • Affiliates

    • Released 4/13

    • Moving to continuous deployment (we have statsd)
  • AMO
    • Marlena writing some “fully dressed” use cases for apps

    • Focus is on keeping the build green
  • Marketplace
    • Automation tasks are being added to the WebQA tracker
  • Mozilla.com
    • working on 2.0 release
  • Mozillians
    • Latest release is tagged and ready to be deployed

    • New responsive UI hotness
  • Moztrap: 1.0 release, testing internally
  • MDN
  • Socorro
  • SUMO
    • no news (is good news), due to Continuous Deployment
  • Wiki
    • Prod cutover to the new host should happen soon; thanks for the help testing

QA Community

Automation Services

Automation & Tools

Security

Date / Time Item
Mon Apr 16 / 13:00 PST NONE
Wed Apr 18 / 13:00 PST New Identity Box Design
Thu Apr 19 / 10:00 PST Identity Project BigTent
Fri Apr 20 / 10:00 AM PST Nightly updates PHP script for Lightning

Calendar and Meeting details

General Meeting Details 
* IRC Channel: #security 
* Etherpad: http://etherpad.mozilla.com:9000/secreview 
* Vidyo: https://v.mozilla.com/flex.html?roomdirect.html&key=5XEMsG1ApA4b (Room 9058)
* Dial-in Info (phone): 
** In office or soft phone: extension 92 
** US/INTL: 650-903-0800 or 650-215-1282 then extension 92 
** Toronto: 416-848-3114 then extension 92 
** Toll-free: 800-707-2533 then password 369 
** Conference num 99058

For updates to meetings please see the Security Review Calendar

Engagement

PR

Events

Creative Team

Community Marketing

Support

Metrics

All Metrics infrastructure moving dtaacenters tomorrow, Tuesday April 17th.

This move will be very disrupting, and while we are going to attempt to have everything up and running again as quickly as possible, there are a lot of configuration changes that need to happen during this move that could take time to be completed. At the end of this process however, we will have a much better environment that will allow us to rapidly improve several pieces such as building out more staging environments and enable better replication/failover in the future.

The impact for various teams is as follows:

metrics.mozilla.com website and all dashboards will be unavailable for one to two days

Nightly and weekly Metrics e-mail reports will not be delivered on Tuesday and possibly Wednesday.

Exports of ADI data to AMO & Socorro will not be delivered Tuesday and possibly Wednesday. After the move is completed, we will backfill data and export the missing data.

Log file collection / processing will be delayed during the migration. IT has worked hard to ensure we have a new collection server waiting for our arrival in the new datacenter, so we believe that we will be able to quickly get started on backprocessing. Depending on how long the migration itself takes, it could take up to four days for us to finish backprocessing (at the same time we are processing new data).

Test Pilot data submissions will not be accepted during the migration. Test Pilot has a client-side retry mechanism in it that will cause the clients to attempt to submit that data at a later time so we do not expect any data loss.

Telemetry data submissions will not be accepted during the migration. Telemetry does not have a client-side retry mechanism, so there will be an unrecoverable gap in data for the duration of the downtime. We will be making restoration of this service our top priority. We were hoping to be able to migrate this service ahead of everything else, but the hardware for the new cluster was not available in time due to missing parts. :/

Buildbot log collection will be delayed during the migration. We will work with that team to backfill any missing data after the migration is complete.

Bugzilla analysis datawarehouse will not be available during the migration. This has *no* impact on the normal operation of bugzilla.mozilla.org so unless you know specifically what this is, don’t worry about it. :)

If you have questions or concerns, please feel free to e-mail metrics@mozilla.com.

Evangelism

Labs

Apps

Developer Tools

Add-ons

Webdev

L10n

People Team

WebFWD

Our teams will be back in the Bay Area May 11-14 for our 2nd in-person Summit. This will include a community hack day on Saturday May 12 – details coming soon!

Foundation Updates

11-April-2012

Mobile Meeting Minutes: 2012-04-11

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 11:00 pm

Mobile/Notes/11-Apr-2012

Contents

Details

  • Wednesdays – 9:30am Pacific, 12:30pm Eastern, 16:30 UTC

  • Dial-in: conference# 95312
    • US/International: +1 650 903 0800 x92 Conf# 95312

    • US toll free: +1 800 707 2533 (pin 369) Conf# 95312
    • Canada: +1 416 848 3114 x92 Conf# 95312
  • irc.mozilla.org #mobile for backchannel
  • Warp Core Vidyo Room

Schedule

  • Next merge is 2012-04-24

Major Topics for This Week

Release Planning
We have been keeping an eye on the blocking bug counts, stability and performance metrics. The current plan was to uplift all required code to Aurora (Fx13) and ship a Beta to the marketplace 4/16+baketime. The adjusted plan (proposed) is to wait for Fx14 to merge to Aurora and ship a Beta to the marketplace 4/24+baketime. The only date adjustment is 4/16 to 4/24. Given the longer than usual beta period, we are not expecting to adjust the final release date at this time.

Working on Soft Blockers
The release drivers may flas some blockers as “soft” meaning we’d take the fix if it makes the cut-off and is low-risk enough. Making the cut-off is an easy checkpoint, but determining low-risk is not. Even though drivers flag a bug as a soft blocker, we might still not accept the fix based on the risk level of the patch. The developer and review(s) need to chime in on the risk level.

Blocking Bug Disclaimer
Do not treat the blocking bug list as “these bugs must all be fixed before a beta candidate can be created” type of list. During blocking list cleanup, we have come across numerous bugs that would not really block if we had a beta candidate build that met our stability and performance criteria.

Stand ups

Suggested format:

  • What did you do last week?

  • What are working on this week?
  • Anything blocking you?

Please keep your update to under 2 minutes!

James W. (snorp)

  • Last week

    • Worked more on fullscreen support for Flash (sigh)
  • This week

    • Tabled fullscreen support, working on hack to make panning/zooming Flash better on Gingerbread/Froyo

Kats

  • Last week

    • Largely working on reducing latency to draw

      • bug 742019 – rewrite how touch events are handled in java

      • bug 740718 – null pointer dereference in the event coalescing code
      • bug 741288 – (partial checkin) reduce time spent in Gesture:ShowPress
      • bug 740883 – reduce latency between user flinging and us drawing
    • Also further tuning of displayport
      • bug 733041 – switch to velocity-bias as default to improve checkerboarding a bit
    • Miscellaneous
      • bug 741988 – checkerboarding regression caught by eideticker (fixed original problem but something else re-regressed it)

      • bug 744094 – log robocop-internal exceptions so we know when it breaks
  • Next week

    • Make the displayport strategies more preffable so qa can play around with it (bug 744241, bug 744390)

    • Work on aligning the displayport to the tiles BenWa is doing (bug 737510)
    • Try to figure out if we’re doing unnecessary work due to rounding errors with float conversions and other such stupid things
  • Blockers

    • None

GBrown

Last week:

  • Tile cache

  • Bug 734715 Intermittent TEST-UNEXPECTED-FAIL | Unable to copy profile to device.
  • Bug 743766 SUT agent: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException in RedirOutputThread

Next week:

  • Continue work on tile cache

Chris Lord (cwiiis)

Chris Peterson

  • This Week

    • Continuing investigation of missing key down/up events: bug 630576, bug 693338, bug 695626

    • Implementing review feedback for bug 742036 – Convert DOM key codes to Android key codes when passing key events to Flash plugin

GCP

  • Last week

    • Time off

    • bug 741528 Clicking on link results in a blank page but it renders OK by itself
    • bug 741836 Native crash without backtrace in SQLiteBridge
    • bug 743715 Cannot build Fennec without jemalloc
    • bug 742815 Probing migration status can launch multiple migrations
    • bug 743923 Don’t keep history in memory during Profile Migration
  • This week

    • Finish bug 741281 Add a Java interface for sending telemetry data

    • bug 741042 Add telemetry support for timing XUL profile import
    • bug 721898 Remove history truncation code
    • Yet More UrlClassifier stuff
    • Write tests?
  • Blockers

    • bug 739629 Expose safe account creation API for profile migration

Brian N

  • Done

    • PTO

    • bug 742771 – Browser shows old URL on startup
    • Investigated bug 743411 – Cursor implementation does not conform to android.database.Cursor interface. Causes infinite loops.
    • Looking at bug 732052 – XUL Scale elements should support touch events
  • Next
    • bug 732052 – XUL Scale elements should support touch events

    • bug 743736 – Touch event handlers on nytimes.com take a long time to run

Sriram

  • Last Week:

    • Enable/disable android services only on application pause/resume – bug 742216

    • Investigated prompt service to be ICS ready – bug 739824
      • Need test cases for various kinds of prompts to make any change
    • Grey color background on awesomebar tabs – bug 740310
    • WIP for using Custom Views instead of ViewHolder in AwesomeBarTabs
  • This Week:
    • Null check for ContentValues in SQLiteBridge – bug 738347

    • Investigated recovering locked DB in android – bug 741224
      • Need ways to reproduce it to test the posted patches
  • Blockers:
    • Zarro boogs found. Yaay!

WesJ

Last week:

  • bug 708048 – context menus sometimes do not show link location

  • bug 742540 – Clicks fired near a box with a link can trigger the link
  • bug 740218 – Fennec form history content provider insert is slow on Transformer Prime
  • bug 739215 – Managed to wear mfinkle down and land, Favicon for about:firefox

This week:

  • bug 741247 – Touch events aren’t consistently triggered especially on the right sides of elements

LucasR

Last week

Next week

  • Release blocker fixing

  • Soft blockers fixing
  • Prepare Mobile & Mobile talk for conference in Portugal

Blocker

  • None

MBrubeck

Done:

  • bug 742428 – Update the AMO/marketplace icon in the add-on manager

  • bug 743415 – Back button goes back to about:empty after loading a redirect
  • Tracked down cause of bug 721784 – Add-ons don’t work after XUL Fennec migration

Next:

Margaret

Done:

  • Multiple history entries with the same URL – bug 741590

  • Click-to-play issues

Next:

  • Finish sorting out remaining click-to-play blockers

  • Help out where needed

Scott (jwir3)

Done:

  • bug 708175: fixed width form controls shouldn’t have their fonts inflated

Next:

  • bug 707917: Word cloud does not render correctly

  • Need to finish looking through what remains – all blockers are complete, or on their way to being complete.
  • Likely to be bug 723947: Text size is reset after di.se completes loading

Other:

  • dbaron reports that he hopes to have the ny times bug landed sometime late this week or early next week, assuming tests are developed as planned.

  • We need to triage some of the remaining font inflation (non-P1) bugs in Dependencies for font-inflation

BLassey

Last week

  • meetings

  • reviews
  • getUserMedia for still images (held up in sr by jonas) bug 738528
  • attempted to fix a plugin crash bug 738198

Next week

  • same ole, same ole

MFinkle

Done:

  • Scanning for performance regressions

  • Reviews
  • Triage
  • More work on the WEBAPP intent… it’s close bug 737050

Next:

  • Looking at building a list of “soft” blocking UX bugs

  • Finish the WEBAPP intent feature bug 737050

Madhava

  • listing soft blockers

  • looking at panning/zooming dynamics
  • that’s it – on to Ian

Ian Barlow

Last week

  • PTO + Sick + Long weekend

This week

Patryk Adamczyk

GFX

Round Table

QA

  • This week

    • A|B testing results posted here. Summary:

      • Test coverage against Adreno 200/205/220, PowerVR SGX530/SGX540

      • Still seeing checkerboarding on zooming and overscroll (sometimes black background instead)
      • A vs. B do not pose any significant visual differences.
    • attacking late-breaking features like download manager, form sync history, webapps
    • Bugwork: Daily Triage on New/Unco bugs, and paying attention to qawanted and regressionwindow-wanted bugs
    • Qualifying Fennec XUL Beta 12b5
  • Socorro/Breakpad bugs:

    • bug 726385 Please create skiplist implementation for the Java field

    • bug 726693 Some java crashes are not being mapped correctly to bugs in bugzilla even though the crash signature fields have the “signatures” listed
    • bug 672606 – Aggregate numbers and topcrashes for Nightly and Aurora channels based on build ID date instead of crash date
    • bug 727234 – Crash Report [@ EMPTY: no crashing thread identified; corrupt dump ]
    • bug 727286 – Incorrect messaging when failing to submit a crash report
  • Profile Migration ran on 4/6/2012

Device rows of bookmarks Time Elapsed
HTC Desire HD 796 ~46 secs
Captivate 796 ~46 secs
Droid 2 796 ~53 secs
HTC Desire HD 2928 ~1 min 23 secs
Captivate 2928 ~1 min 22 secs
Droid 2 2928 ~1 min 38 secs

Firefox/Gecko Delivery Meeting Minutes: 2012-04-11

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 11:00 pm

Firefox/Planning/2012-04-11

« previous week | index | next week »

Planning Meeting Details

  • Wednesdays – 11:00am PDT, 18:00 UTC

  • Mountain View Offices: Warp Core Conference Room
  • Toronto Offices: Finch Conference Room
  • irc.mozilla.org #planning for backchannel
  • (the developer meeting takes place on Tuesdays)

Video/Teleconference Details – NEW

  • 650-903-0800 or 650-215-1282 x92 Conf# 95312 (US/INTL)

  • 1-800-707-2533 (pin 369) Conf# 95312 (US)
  • Vidyo Room: Warp Core
  • Vidyo Guest URL
REMEMBER

These notes are read by people who weren’t able to attend the meeting. Please make sure to include links and context so they can be understood.

Contents

Actions from Last Week

Schedule & Progress on Upcoming Releases

Kilimanjaro

Kilimanjaro Product Draft

Firefox Desktop

Release (3.6, 11, 10esr)

  • First 3.6 (EOL) MU prompts will occur next week, with further prompts and automatic updates to follow

Beta (12)

  • Beta 5 will be released Friday (4/13)

  • Code freeze for FF12 is also this Friday
  • Add-on hotfix to communicate the FF13 Win2K/XP RTM/XP SP1 de-support expected to test and roll out to the beta population next week

  • We plan to have a FF12 What’s New page specifically for users updating from 3.6, testing planned for next week

Aurora (13)

Nightly (14)

  • Criteria for uplifting PDF.js to Aurora is currently being discussed, will not occur for FF14

  • Bug 711552 Create click to play UI for desktop

Firefox Mobile

  • Release plan: Fx14 will be our ship vehicle.

    • We will no longer be uplifting aggressively to Aurora for Fx13

Nightly (14)

  • Stability and performance improves

  • Work on blockers continues

Firefox Sync

  • Sync Process

    • Rapid Release meeting is Friday

      • If you want to ask for a feature, that meeting is the time to do it. Please see :ally if you have questions
  • Sign into Browser/Sync 2.0/persona/BrowserId
    • Flag day is now tied to this & B2G’s deadlines

    • Old Clients will not work after Flag Day
      • Scheduled Clients: desktop & native fennec, b2g client (when written)

      • Firefox Home is not scheduled for update
      • Fennec XUL is not scheduled for update
    • There is -no- plan right now for retiring the Sync 1.1 system
  • Native Android Sync
    • In progress
  • Apps In The Cloud (aitc) Backend
    • going well. Load tests for beta (april 24) have started

    • the apps folks should have more details. We only work on the backend

Add-on SDK

Release (1.6 -> Firefox 11, 12)

  • Released Hotfix 1.6.1

    • Fixes a minor memory leak found by Mingyi Liu

Stabilization (1.7 -> Firefox 12, 13)

Development (1.8 -> Firefox 13, 14)

  • On track to merge to Stabilization 15 May 2012
  • Alex Poirot released the Locale-Updater Add-on

    • Localizers can have one-click testing of new .properties files for any installed SDK-based Add-on through the Add-on Manager

    • Alex is eager to improve this – so feedback is encouraged!

Identity

Apps

  • Firefox Desktop 14 (Nightly) – being reviewed

    • Native Install

    • Chromeless launch of apps
  • Firefox Mobile 15 – in progress
    • Was 14, shifted due to Beta work

    • Native install
    • Chromefull launch of Marketplace and apps
    • Proposed Android solution is to bundle the marketplace with Firefox. More coming on this.
  • Apps in the Cloud
    • Apps in the cloud server running

    • Apps in the cloud clients for desktop and mobile targeting Fx14 timeframe

Feedback Summary

Desktop

  • Firefox 11:

    • Major increase in the number of people with babylon toolbar and “text enhance”. We’ve seen it for months now but it’s a lot higher recently. (It’s hard to get actual stats because it’s just people jumping on older threads).

      • Still lots of redirecting to malicious search engines (a majority of our top threads)
    • Also increase in Flash issues (including difficulty getting it updated and/or Facebook flash games not working)
    • Facebook chat sidebar disabler broke. They have a new beta
  • Firefox 12: Trending words in input (12 vs 11-in-beta):
    • slow — nothing new here

    • facebook — not opening, pages blank, some comments around crashing?
    • date — “is out of date” errors
    • java
    • game — lots of java games, but also facebook games
    • update
    • unable
    • bookmark — bookmarks missing from toolbar
    • toolbar
    • tell
    • time
    • pogo
    • return
    • drag — can’t drag to reorder tabs in tab bar (may be an extension)

Mobile

UX & User Research

Firefox UX Design

This week in Firefox UX (perhaps a bit of backlog):

Market Insights

Desktop / Platform

Adobe

  • Adobe updated Flash because of two high severity security issues.

Amazon

  • Amazon released the In-App Purchasing API for applications sold in their Android appstore. This API allows application developers to monetize not only only on the initial sale of applications but by selling upgrades, features, and other content directly in their applications. Consumers can make purchases using their existing Amazon IDs. Both Google and Apple’s stores have similar functionality.

Apple

  • Apple released a critical update for Java to address, in part, a vulnerability that had allowed the Flashback Trojan to infect more than half a million Mac OS X systems worldwide.

Google

  • The Android team released an updated emulator for the platform, adding GPU support, more hardware feature emulation and improved CPU performance.

  • The team also published a new Accessibility Developer Guide for Android.
  • Google Chrome’s WebRTC team also published a roadmap of upcoming work to fine-tune their WebRTC implementation that is arriving in Chrome. Upcoming work includes screen sharing, a data API, and recording.
  • Chrome’s stable and beta channels were updated. Fixes included 12 security issues, including a number of use-after-free issues.
  • The Beta version now has tab syncing across different instances of the browser, including both desktop and mobile versions.
  • The Dev version of ChromeOS now has the Aura window manager, changing the interface to be much more like that of a standard operating system like Windows.

Microsoft

  • Microsoft, in partnership with Bocoup, a HTML5 training provider, annnounced BuildNewGames.com, a website that aims to introduce and promote the use of open web technologies to build great gaming experiences “without plugins”. The section on mobile browsers is interesting, as it includes some frames-per-second benchmarks of performance on the iPhone, iPad, and Galaxy Nexus.

  • Microsoft also released eleven patches for Windows and Internet Explorer, seven of which were listed as “critical”

Tizen

  • The Tizen group published the presentations made at the Linux Foundation Summit. These include an architecture overview, a summaries of the greater Tizen community and the Enlightenment Foundation Libraries, and descriptions of planned use of the Wayland display server and the oFono telephony stack

Webkit

  • Webkit announced availability of version 1.0 of the Webkit remote debugger. This JSON-based tool is now supported in the Blackberry Playbook and Chrome for Android.

  • Webkit also now supports Battery Status and Vibration APIs on the Blackberry, arguably the first WebKit port to do so.
  • The author of the open source color picker used in WebKit’s Web Inspector posted a good overview of its design and features

Other

Marketing, Press & Public Reaction

Marketing

  • Preparing for merge day: blogs and collateral updates for Desktop

  • Working on finalizing billboards for 3.6 EOL
  • Continuing to work of mobile materials

Press

Questions, Comments, FYI

  • hg.mozilla.org will be offline 6-9am PT thursday

Actions this week

  • Mary/Slater to show us k9o pretty

10-April-2012

Thunderbird Meeting Minutes: 2012-04-10

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 11:00 pm

Thunderbird/StatusMeetings/2012-04-10

last meeting | index | next meeting »

Thunderbird Meeting Details :

Remember to use headphones and mute yourself when not talking

Feel free to ask questions in the meeting either by speaking up or by asking them in #maildev on IRC.

Other ways to get in touch with us can be found on our communications page

Agenda

  • Who’s taking minutes? –> Sancus

  • Minute taking Schedule. Talk to Standard8 for schedule changes/additions.
  • Note: this meeting is for interactive discussion. Feel free to ask questions!

Action Items

Friends of the Tree

Thanks to our Friend of the Tree. When adding someone to this section, please get their T-Shirt size, phone number (needed for shipping!) and send it to abourcier@mozilla.com that she can send them a shirt!

Thunderbird Development

For more details, see also the driver meeting notes.

Feature Work

Test Pilot
Filelink (a.k.a Big Files)
  • We’re in the final stages of polish – patches are queued for review and iteration.

  • Spideroak has posted the first draft of a patch to include support for their service
  • UbuntuOne is also hard at work on an implementation
Instant Messaging

Schedule and Progress

Thunderbird 11
Thunderbird 12
  • b4 build will come out later this week
Thunderbird 13
Thunderbird 14
Thunderbird 3.1.x & ESR

Extension of the week

  • Folder in tabs. Will let you add Folders in tab for easy access to your folder. Very practical if you have plenty of folders.

QA Updates

  • Thanks to the participants to the testday on Instant Messaging in Thunderbird – we found a number of very interesting bugs.

  • If you want to help our testing effort either

Marketing Updates

  • Follow us on twitter we are @mozthunderbird

  • Kick started Thunderbird engagement program – Public communication will start next week on blog and Facebook
  • Thank you to all for having participated in the Chat feature survey. We have more elements to focus on fine tuning the feature now!
  • Thunderbird Start page to change next week

Infrastructure Update

Build / Release Update

  • Thunderbird 12.0 beta 4 build needed this week

  • Thunderbird 12.0 beta 3 released last week (catlee can now do TB releases)
  • Focusing on getting TB+FF integration work (so far) landed this week

Web Update

  • endless saga of the new start page

  • We have about 15 languages done for the 3.1 EOL Warning page, thanks to localizers. These are being merged as they come in.

Documentation

Support

Lightning Updates

  • Nightly updates script going through security review, will be hosted with a new SSL certificate

  • We have a freelancer getting started on a new Lightning Logo, see bug 723270.
  • We have one GSoC applicant who wants to work on improving invitations support, ludovic will mentor.
  • l10n issues that will force us to install l10n-merge into the build process, see bug 736717.

Status Updates

See the Mozilla Status Board for status updates specific to developers.

Roundtable Highlights

Attendees

Mozilla Platform Meeting Minutes: 2012-04-10

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 11:00 pm

Platform/2012-04-10

« previous week | index | next week »

Platform Meeting Details

  • Tuesdays – 11:00 am Pacific

  • Dial-in: conference# 95312
    • US/International: +1 650 903 0800 x92 Conf# 95312

    • US toll free: +1 800 707 2533 (pin 369) Conf# 95312
    • Canada: +1 416 848 3114 x92 Conf# 95312
  • Warp Core Vidyo Room
  • join irc.mozilla.org #planning for back channel

Contents

Kilimanjaro

Notices / Schedule

  • If you have no more blockers for FF12 and the next ESR (released 4/24), please start digging into bugs tracked for FF13

Firefox Development

  • Jared Wein landed initial support for click to play plugins on desktop (bug 711552)

    • Followup work in bug 711618 to improve permissions model

Firefox Developer Tools

Add-on SDK

  • There were delays getting AMO updated with the 1.6 SDK last week so some developers may have seen warnings when uploading their add-ons

  • Spinning a 1.6.1 release to fix a minor leak

Performance

  • This week’s Snappy summary

  • Ehsan discovered some really bad performance issues for animated skins or those that heavily use svg and css
    • Will look at moving image decoding off of the main thread
  • Vlad worked on cancellable sql (bug 722243), have to figure out if the benefit from cancellable queries justifies additional locking
  • Vlad is analyzing a batch of slow startup data from March
  • Anthony and QA team are chrome leak testing looking for leaked documents that should be cycle collected
  • Tim put up AreWeSmallYet, tracking changes in build size: http://arewesmallyet.com/
  • Bill disabled incremental GC due to leaks bug 641025
  • mccra8 removed more stuff from the CC graph (bug 740185)

GFX

  • Continue to be focused on mobile Firefox.

    • We fixed most of Firefox on Android’s extreme crashiness, with the notable exception of on David Baron’s phone, who alone accounts for 13% of our crashes (221 unique crash IDs) in the past week, the #1 topcrasher by a large margin.

    • We’re focused on performance and checkerboardiness now, with our major work being tracked as Fennec beta blockers.

JS

Layout

  • Focused on mobile Firefox.

    • Readability.

    • Scrolling/Zoom bugs.

Video

  • MediaStreams near landing on m-c

  • Initial WebRTC landings being planned (preffed off).

DOM

  • No updates today.

WebAPI

Network

Identity

Plugins

Mobile

Accessibility

Tree Management

  • hg.m.o downtime Thursday April 12 6-9am PDT for migration to new datacentre

  • Switching OSX build machines today hopefully – nightly updates will be diverted until testing is completed
  • tree status app in staging for poking: https://treestatus-dev.allizom.org/
  • infrastructure load for march
    • 4,508 pushes in March – peaking at 238 checkins per day

    • 5th month in a row of record activity

Security

Date / Time Item
Mon Apr 9 / 13:00 PST BrowserID Sync
Wed Apr 11 / 13:00 PST AVAILABLE
Thu Apr 12 / 10:00 PST AVAILABLE
Fri Apr 13 / 10:00 AM PST AVAILABLE

Calendar and Meeting details

General Meeting Details 
* IRC Channel: #security 
* Etherpad: http://etherpad.mozilla.com:9000/secreview 
* Vidyo: https://v.mozilla.com/flex.html?roomdirect.html&key=5XEMsG1ApA4b (Room 9058)
* Dial-in Info (phone): 
** In office or soft phone: extension 92 
** US/INTL: 650-903-0800 or 650-215-1282 then extension 92 
** Toronto: 416-848-3114 then extension 92 
** Toll-free: 800-707-2533 then password 369 
** Conference num 99058

For updates to meetings please see the Security Review Calendar

Security Review Needed but Unscheduled

Review Needed

  • Feature pages triaged to need review, review unscheduled
Feature Feature List Target Rel Prod Mgr Lead Engr Security lead Security status Security notes Last Modified
Client-side XPI construction Jetpack Add-on Builder 2 Daniel Buchner Piotr Zalewa/Sean McArthur ` sec-review-needed ` 2011-07-13T22:16:04
Add-On Tab API ` Add-on SDK 1.5 David Mason ` Dan Veditz sec-review-needed ` 2012-01-11T22:10:27
B2G App Security Model ` B2G 1.0 Lucas Adamski Jonas Sicking, Chris Jones Paul Theriault sec-review-needed sched with curtis 2012-03-29T22:15:25
Migrate Chrome settings and data Desktop Firefox 11 Asa Dotzler Makoto Kato, Marco Bonardo ` sec-review-needed ` 2012-03-13T14:03:25
Style Editor Desktop Firefox 11 Kevin Dangoor Cedric Vivier ` sec-review-needed ` 2012-03-27T18:16:36
Hang Detector and Reporter Desktop Firefox 13 Asa Dotzler Vladan Djeric ` sec-review-needed please sched with curtisk 2012-03-15T00:50:19
Easy UI Feature Testing and “Success Evaluation” (integrate TestPilot like features) ` Firefox 13 ` ` ` sec-review-needed Please schedule with curtisk 2012-03-02T23:41:56
Windows 8 Metro Firefox Desktop Firefox 14 Asa Dotzler ` ` sec-review-needed sched with curtisk 2012-04-10T20:50:47
Speedy Session Restore Desktop Firefox 14 Asa Dotzler Dietrich Ayala ` sec-review-needed schedule with curtsk 2012-04-10T11:24:22
In-content preferences Desktop Firefox 15 Jared Wein Devan Sayles ` sec-review-needed when ready sched w/ curtisk 2012-01-25T22:43:11
DOMCryptAPI (a Crypto API in the DOM) Platform Firefox 15? Chris Blizzard David Dahl Brian Smith sec-review-needed ` 2012-02-07T03:07:24
Better rendering of fonts for Windows Platform Firefox 7 Chris Blizzard ` ` sec-review-needed small team review Christoph, bsterne, John Daggett 2011-10-13T00:23:00
FlightDeck as a Client-side App Jetpack FlightDeck 1.0 Daniel Buchner Sean McArthur ` sec-review-needed when ready sched w/ curtisk 2012-01-25T22:43:38
IndexedDB Support for Multi-Process Firefox Platform Future, distant future. Chris Blizzard ` ` sec-review-needed 2011.10.17: sid recommends we wait on this one but likely needs a review. 2011-11-10T19:14:59
Sharing textures cross-process for Electrolysis Platform Q4 of 2011. Chris Blizzard Chris Jones ` sec-review-needed ` 2011-10-13T16:52:42
SDK Support for Firefox for Mobile Addons Jetpack SDK 1.5 David Mason Matteo Ferretti ` sec-review-needed ` 2012-04-06T16:32:53
Sign into the browser Other TBD Dan Mills Ben Adida ` sec-review-needed when ready sched w/ curtisk 2012-04-03T21:25:10
Tip of the day Thunderbird Thunderbird 11 Jean-Baptiste Piacentino Sancus ` sec-review-needed ` 2012-03-08T16:54:08
Modern MIME Parser Thunderbird Thunderbird 14? ` Joshua Cranmer ` sec-review-needed sched with curtisk 2012-03-02T23:51:32
Modern Address Book – V1 Thunderbird Under revision ` Mike Conley ` sec-review-needed ` 2012-01-12T19:38:14
Enhancements to help mitigate search hijacking Desktop ` Asa Dotzler Gavin Sharp Al Billings sec-review-needed ` 2012-04-10T18:15:21
Blocklist UX enhancements [Plug-ins] Desktop ` Kev Needham ` ` sec-review-needed ` 2012-01-30T05:35:09
Use PFS2 as Plugin Finder data source Desktop ` Kev Needham ` ` sec-review-needed ` 2011-11-10T10:54:09
Add plugincheck functionality to Add-on Manager Desktop ` Kev Needham ` ` sec-review-needed ` 2011-10-24T21:28:12

Bugs marked sec-review-needed that need to be scheduled

ID Summary Status Priority
738698 [meta] Users should have the ability to activate plugins on demand NEW
549697 Add click-to-start form of disabled plugins (Add-on manager) NEW
716107 Better key input support in DOM full-screen mode – requestFullScreenWithKeys API NEW
733414 SecReview for SocialAPI NEW
649154 Implement DOMCrypt (Internal) API NEW
717103 MediaStorage API NEW
585958 webapps OS level integration : Maemo NEW
674718 WebUSB NEW
707625 [WebAPI] Proper WebAPI permissions manager NEW
567365 Cache-Control no-cache on https page disables history NEW
664636 Thunderbird should (semi-)automatically improve the security-related server configuration settings when it knows an improvement could be made NEW
664637 Thunderbird auto-configuration database should be expanded & updated by regularly spidering every domain on the internet NEW
674047 Teach FileSaver to take URIs as well NEW
674701 “App-state” API, so that content knows when it becomes hidden etc. NEW
674737 WebBluetooth NEW
677302 Preffing out CSS should be easier NEW
680617 WebPrint (or WebIPP) NEW
681009 API for “home screen” app locking display, listening for “wake up” button, etc. NEW
692677 Relax same-origin XHR restrictions for privileged applications NEW
693515 Browser API NEW
697355 Network manager API NEW
722126 Can’t transfer File objects with postMessage cross domain NEW
729320 IndexedDB: Provide some amount of storage without a prompt NEW
697361 Sensor API NEW
735075 Sec Review: Distributed Events platform ASSIGNED
711618 implement click to play permission model ASSIGNED
80713 Need a way to specify an auto-height (size) for an IFRAME such that the frame is given the full height of the contained content (moz-seamless, part of seamless iframes) ASSIGNED
674720 WebContacts (or Contacts+) RESOLVED
674726 WebTelephony RESOLVED
728341 Security Review for Beta Release of App RESOLVED
706545 Implement a sync engine for apps exposed by navigator.mozApps RESOLVED
697132 Create API for content to keep the screensaver from turning on (or to prevent phone/tablet’s screen from turning off) RESOLVED

Stability Report

Socorro

  • Due to a file name pattern change by Adobe, the version of current Flash releases isn’t detected by Socorro (bug 742735). This also makes KaiRo’s Flash crash/hang reports not list those 11.2.* versions – a fix is ready for landing and should be deployed in tomorrow’s Socorro release.

Desktop

Trunk

  • bug 741715 crash in XPCWrappedNativeProto::TraceJS

  • bug 743767 Firefox crash @ memcpy | GlyphBufferAzure::Flush

Release

  • bug 744043 Firefox crash [@ gfxASurface::GetType()

Beta

  • bug 717175 – gfxFont::AgeCacheEntry. Fixed in 12b4.

  • bug 673543 – nsDiskCacheMap::DeleteRecord. Patch waiting review.
  • bug 738661 – crash in nmsvc from CovenantEyes. Trying to repro in a debugger.
  • bug 741179 – crash in nsDiskCacheBlockFile::Write. Met this morning to discuss. Looking at correlations more closely, trying to reproduce.

Third Party

  • bug 743699 Flash crash in 11_2_202_228

    • After we reprocess signatures there will likely be more bugs related to this Flash version filed

Mobile

Top crashes over last 3 days on 14.0a1 – https://crash-stats.mozilla.com/topcrasher/byversion/FennecAndroid/14.0a1/3/browser

  • Note: Graph is a capture from 2012/04/09 at 10:34 AM PDT for a 3 day period

The following are crashes that do not have fixes from the Top Crash List

  1. bug 738198 – dvmAsmInstructionStart – Plugin issue (LANDED TODAY)

  2. bug 730890 – libdvm.so@0x50e96
  3. bug 737128 – mozilla::gl::GLContextEGL::ReleaseSurface
  4. bug 731286 – libflashplayer.so@0x157bbe – Assume we can’t do anything here.
  5. bug 743724 – libEGL_mali.so@0xdae4

Other Socorro work listed in the Mobile Dev Meeting Notes

Roundtable

9-April-2012

Mozilla Project Meeting Minutes: 2012-04-09

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 11:00 pm

WeeklyUpdates/2012-04-09

« previous week | index | next week »

  • Dial-in: conference# 8600

    • US/International: +1 650 903 0800 x92 Conf# 8600

    • US toll free: +1 800 707 2533 (pin 369) Conf# 8600
    • Canada: +1 416 848 3114 x92 Conf# 8600
  • *1 to mute/unmute

Contents

All-hands Status Meeting Agenda

Items in this section will be shared during the live all-hand status meeting.

Friends of the Tree

  • Les Orchard
Thanks for graciously sharing your work (on Badger) with the Open Badges team. Your efforts with DjangoBadger are deeply appreciated as well. Your contributions to open source help us all. You rock.

Upcoming Events

This Week

Monday, 09 April

Tuesday, 10 April

Wednesday, 11 April

Thursday, 12 April

Topic of Brownbag Presenter Time Description
The Pyschology Behind Pair Designing Karl Dotter from Dopamine 12:00PM Karl will be speaking about pair designing and introduce us to some case studies where this technique has worked for his design firm.

Friday, 13 April

Topic of Brownbag Presenter Time Description
MozCamp LatAm Kate Naszradi and Mary Colvig 10:00AM This will be a brief overview, training, and Q&A for staff who will be attending MozCamp Latin America.
Brown Bag w/ Board Member Reid Hoffman Reid Hoffman 12:00PM Reid will be giving out his new book.

Next Week

Product Status Updates (voice updates)

Firefox Future (9, 10, 11)

Speaker Location:

Firefox Current (3.6, 8)

Speaker Location:

Mobile Firefox

Speaker Location:

Thunderbird

Speaker Location:

Older Branch Work

Speaker Location:

Drumbeat / Foundation

Speaker Location: Erin Knight, phone

Open Badges Public Beta launch

  • What: Public beta version of the Open Badge Infrastructure, the underlying badge specification and set of repositories (‘Backpacks’) to support a badge-as-alternative-credential ecosystem

  • Pretty big deal: lots of badges are getting a lot of attention and lots of people are working on badges toward a common goal of supporting all types of learning, especially informal, interest-driven and on-the-job learning. The OBI is a key part of success since it allows learners to earn badges across learning experiences, collect them into a single collection they manage and share them out with potential employers, etc.

  • Public beta includes: full issuer API, Backpacks with management tools, privacy controls, grouping and publishing features, initial displayer APIs, necessary legal components

  • Outreach: Press release and announcements going out tomorrow, Tuesday 4/10/12
  • Adoption: Lots of badge issuers already starting to push badges in.
  • More info / see for yourself:

Identity

Speaker Location:

Services

Speaker Location:

Speakers

The limit is 3 minutes per speaker. It’s like a lightning talk, but don’t feel that you have to have slides in order to make a presentation.

Title Presenter Topic Media More Details
Your Title Here Your Name Here What are you going to talk about? Links to slides or images you want displayed on screen Link to where audience can find out more information

Introducing New Hires

New Hire Introduced by Speaker location Will be working on
Simon Wex David Ascher Phone Labs
Chloe Varelidi Erin Knight Phone Foundation, webmaker/learning games and assessment
David Keeler Lucas Adamski Mountain View, CA Security Engineering
Jon Buckley Ryan Merkely Mountain View Developer
Michiel Kamermans Ryan Merkely Mountain View Software Engineer

Introducing New Interns

New Intern Introduced by Speaker location Will be working on
Who is the new intern? Who will be introducing that person? From which office will that introduction be transmitted? What will the new person be working on?
Jordan Lund (jlund on IRC) Armen Zambrano Toronto Release Engineering

Roundtable

<meta>

Notes and non-voice status updates that aren’t part of the live meeting go here.

Status Updates By Team (*non-voice* updates)

Firefox

Platform

Services

Messaging

Mobile

IT

Data Centers

  • SCL3/SJC1:

    • We are in the middle of a massive data center move from one of our original data centers, SJC1 to our other data centers. We are on track to move roughly 1300 servers and virtual machines by the middle of the quarter.

    • While migration work has been going on for a year now to get websites and services out of there in advance of this move, some services are hanging on to the end and may require downtime to get them physically moved (or virtually migrated) to their new home. Please be patient with us as this move takes our resources away from other projects, and as some of these services incur downtime for their move.
    • Continued migration of community infrastructure form sjc1 to scl3.
  • PEK2: Data center migration in China for Mozilla Online continued this week, with fox2mike on site finishing the load balancer and vm hosting, and working on moving key sites.

Websites

  • Firefox 3.6 Start Page. This week we stood up a cluster (admin, dev, stage, and prod) along with global caching for the Mozilla-hosted Firefox 3.6 start page.

  • www.mozilla.org multi-datacenter. Last week we spun up www.mozilla.org in Santa Clara. It is now hosted in two data centers and cached out of Amsterdam. We will be making more use of CDNs in the next step.

Infrastructure

  • Completed Zimbra migration to HCI. All @mozilla.com & @mozillafoundation.org email accounts are on a new Zimbra infrastructure (and the migration happened with no impact to you!). See blog posts by justdave & mrz.

  • Turned up hundreds of new systems (more than I can collectively count amongst all teams in IT). For example, 128 nodes with new Sandy Bridge Xeon procs have been deployed to the SCL3 data center, and 64 to the PHX1 data center.
  • Zeus NIC cards (PHX1). We replaced the NIC cards in our PHX1 load balancers this week with new vendor-recommended cards to overcome problems that have plagued us for months. So far, we have not had any lb-related problems in PHX1. However, part of this success is due to moving the load of Addons version checking and about:home snippets to a new set of Netscaler load balancers which handle the heavy-loaded sites better but don’t provide some of the features we enjoy out of our Stingray load balancers.

Developer Services

  • hg.mozilla.org

    • A lot of work was wrapped up in prepping a new environment for hg.mozilla.org in our new data center.

      • We should be announcing downtime soon to make the switch this week.
    • Please do not abort a push to try (with ctrl-c) once it has begun. Due to the added pushlog in commit hooks, it causes hg to break and requires manual intervention to fix.

Release Engineering

QA

Test Execution

WebQA

Project Status / goals for next week (keep it brief)

  • Affiliates

    • No release scheduled for last week
  • AMO
    • CI for AMO mobile tests…yay!

    • New tests from contributors Pengsu and Victor…yay!
    • Pull request is in the queue for a smarter login…yay!
  • Mozilla.com
    • No release last week
  • Mozillians
    • [rel:04/04/2012] scheduled to be released this week

    • hot new UI with responsive design
    • mbrandt: struggling with mozillians, not asking for team coverage, but the team is struggling with quality and it’s taking a lot of my focus. Really trying to help them out- but it’s taking away from pull requests and other duties. Am sure that there’s nothing others can do to help with this.
  • Mozilla Reps
    • 0.2 shipped today
  • MDN
    • pushed on 04/04
  • Socorro
    • Successful Milestone 4 release on 4/4/2012

    • zac: Thanks to alin- did a lot of work on socorro, takes 8 min to run the suite but that is too long, have an etherpad to work on cleaning up tests. Probably do it in the next couple of days.
  • SUMO
    • no updates
  • MozTrap
    • Yay new name! Yay 1.0 release! blog post about it here has more info.
  • Wiki
    • no updates
  • REMO
    • stephend: pushed mozilla reps 2.0 Thursday morning, still hoping to find a community person to take over as leader

QA Community

Automation Services

Automation & Tools

Security

Date / Time Item
Mon Apr 9 / 13:00 PST BrowserID Sync
Wed Apr 11 / 13:00 PST AVAILABLE
Thu Apr 12 / 10:00 PST AVAILABLE
Fri Apr 13 / 10:00 AM PST AVAILABLE

Calendar and Meeting details

General Meeting Details 
* IRC Channel: #security 
* Etherpad: http://etherpad.mozilla.com:9000/secreview 
* Vidyo: https://v.mozilla.com/flex.html?roomdirect.html&key=5XEMsG1ApA4b (Room 9058)
* Dial-in Info (phone): 
** In office or soft phone: extension 92 
** US/INTL: 650-903-0800 or 650-215-1282 then extension 92 
** Toronto: 416-848-3114 then extension 92 
** Toll-free: 800-707-2533 then password 369 
** Conference num 99058

For updates to meetings please see the Security Review Calendar

Engagement

PR

Events

Creative Team

Community Marketing

Support

Metrics

Evangelism

Labs

Apps

Developer Tools

Add-ons

Webdev

L10n

People Team

WebFWD

We’ve just announced two new teams to the program — read about both Entropy Wave and Tomahawk on our blog: http://blog.webfwd.org.

And one more team will be announced by next week :)

Foundation Updates

4-April-2012

Mobile Meeting Minutes: 2012-04-04

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 11:00 pm

Mobile/Notes/04-Apr-2012

Contents

Details

  • Wednesdays – 9:30am Pacific, 12:30pm Eastern, 16:30 UTC

  • Dial-in: conference# 95312
    • US/International: +1 650 903 0800 x92 Conf# 95312

    • US toll free: +1 800 707 2533 (pin 369) Conf# 95312
    • Canada: +1 416 848 3114 x92 Conf# 95312
  • irc.mozilla.org #mobile for backchannel
  • Warp Core Vidyo Room

Schedule

  • Next merge is 2012-04-24

Major Topics for This Week

Release Planning
We have been keeping an eye on the blocking bug counts, stability and performance metrics. The current plan was to uplift all required code to Aurora (Fx13) and ship a Beta to the marketplace 4/16+baketime. The adjusted plan (proposed) is to wait for Fx14 to merge to Aurora and ship a Beta to the marketplace 4/24+baketime. The only date adjustment is 4/16 to 4/24. Given the longer than usual beta period, we are not expecting to adjust the final release date at this time.

Aurora Uplift
Pushed a non-graphics uplift to Aurora so we can get more testing on changes to the Java UI and Sync.

Video-based Performance Testing
William Lachance has been working on the EideTicker Dashboard and has checkerboarding tests for scrolling and zooming.

Checkboard & Pan/Zoom Technical Review
Today, noon PDT. Talk to jpr if you want to come

Stand ups

Suggested format:

  • What did you do last week?

  • What are working on this week?
  • Anything blocking you?

Please keep your update to under 2 minutes!

James W. (snorp)

  • Last Week / This Week

    • Banged head against Flash nonsense

    • Added an Android Looper to Gecko thread, with help from blassey (not landed yet)

Kats

  • Last week

    • gathered test data to see which strategy works best when (velocity bias and fixed margins are the best, depending on which device)

    • bug 737553 – perform minor tuning/fixups needed for the strategies
    • bug 740569 – add a pref for the strategies
    • dived into the nsAppShell event queue to see where time is being spent/wasted, came up with some ways to reduce latency and/or coalesce events better:
    • bug 740539 – fix possibility of incorrect page size being stored in java
    • bug 730899 – remove scroll event with zero displacement
    • bug 737577 – trigger draw earlier during double-tap zooms to reduce checkerboarding
    • bug 740718 – (waiting review) null pointer dereference in the event coalescing code
    • bug 740883 – reduce latency between user flinging and us drawing
    • bug 741565 – (waiting review) kill latency in double-tap responsiveness
  • This week

    • bug 741228 – reduce time spent in Gesture:ShowPress. this seems to be a big cause of checkerboarding at the start of a pan/fling

    • once the latency problem is solved, tune the velocity bias strategy a little more and make it the default
    • work on bug 737510 (align display port to tiles) when BenWa/gbrown finish the tiling stuff
  • Other

    • will be visiting my sister in Dallas for part of next week; will be working remotely, maybe taking a day off to fly back

GBrown

This week:

  • Bug 740146 Disable startup screenshot

  • Bug 735461 Robocop: Fennec does not interpret -profile argument correctly
  • Bug 734715 Intermittent TEST-UNEXPECTED-FAIL | Unable to copy profile to device.
  • Reftest bugs

Next week:

  • Compositor tile cache: Trying to understand BenWa’s world!

Chris Lord (cwiiis)

  • Last week

    • bug 739604 – Crash in ThebesLayerOGL when using MOZ_DUMP_PAINT_LIST [fixed]

    • bug 732016 – Maple: scrollIntoView does not clamp to the page size
    • bug 740778 – Random whole-device lock-ups on Adreno-chipset devices
    • Reviews
  • This week

    • Time off + bank holidays

    • Reviews
    • London office affairs
    • bug 740778 – Random whole-device lock-ups on Adreno-chipset devices [waiting on qa]
    • Looking at layers-related brokenness

Chris Peterson

  • Last Week

    • bug 739418 – If a rethrown exception is uncaught, report the stack trace of the original exception, not the rethrowing exception

    • bug 738695 – Remove some redundant and unused IME code: mComposing and returnIMEQueryResult
    • bug 730145 – Fennec does not stop running if app window is closed when VKB is open
    • bug 720300 – Awesome bar shouldn’t start search on Enter key pressed if there is composition string
  • This Week

    • Backporting to XUL Fennec ESR10: bug 701002 – Put Java stacks into a separate field (not AppNotes) (and maybe bug 739418 – If a rethrown exception is uncaught, report the stack trace of the original exception, not the rethrowing exception)

    • Investigating bug 630576 – Fennec should send key events to content even without input focus (such as gmail keyboard shortcuts)
    • Waiting for review: bug 742036 – Convert DOM key codes to Android key codes when passing key events to Flash plugin

GCP

  • Last week:

    • bug 736237 Profile Migration should specify a limit and be resumable

    • bug 725150 Need logic to prevent sync and profile migration happening at the same time
  • This week:
    • bug 741281 Add a Java interface for sending telemetry data

    • bug 741042 Add telemetry support for timing XUL profile import
    • bug 727370 Bad(?) files in safebrowsing folder in user profile prevent loading any site after installing
  • Blockers:
    • bug 741836 Native crash without backtrace in SQLiteBridge

    • bug 739629 Expose safe account creation API for profile migration

Brian N

  • Done

    • WIP bug 717428 – Reuse favicons in DB

    • Investigated bug 735539 – Maple : Occasionally clicking on a link does not navigate to that link
    • bug 741010 – Don’t save favicon if loaded from DB
    • bug 741712 – Fixup URIs stop throbber prematurely
    • Finished up bug 695178 – Download Manager
    • bug 739742 – Save bundle state when launching subactivity
  • Next
    • More blockers

Sriram

  • Last Week:

    • Update styling of header in Bookmarks in AwesomeBar – bug 715274

    • Cleanup of bookmarks based AsyncTask – bug 739334
    • Investigated graphical polish on “Setup Screen” – bug 739256
      • Happens only on Samsung Galaxy S2.
    • Investigated Favicon not releasing its stream – bug 721110
      • Brian’s changes fixed this.
  • This Week:
    • Application level pause and resume – bug 739747

    • Authentication dialog remains open – bug 732169
      • Finkle has a fix for this.
    • Null checks for ContentValues in SQLiteBridge – bug 738347
  • Investigating grey background in History tab – bug 740310
  • Blockers:
    • None.

WesJ

Last week:

  • bug 740218 – Fennec form history content provider insert is slow on Transformer Prime

  • bug 695178 – Download Manager – handed off to brian, but it has r+ now I think?
  • bug 741666 – Touches for touchLists are not refcounted correctly

This week:

  • Dealing with touch events, tap highlight, clicking and context menus.

LucasR

MBrubeck

Done:

  • Bug 735749 – No back button in awesomescreen on Maemo

  • Meetings with W3C Touch Events PAG; working on new spec proposal.

Next:

  • Continue work on alternate Touch Events spec and discussions.

  • Continue work on fennec 1.0 blockers.

Margaret

Done:

  • “Desktop Bookmarks” folder – bug 737896

  • Awesomebar filter should treat space-separated words as separate filters – bug 738961
  • Back button does not dismiss the keyboard in awesomebar – bug 740306
  • Door-hangers de-attach from directional arrow when scrolling through list – bug 740118
  • Investigated problem where multiple history entries with the same URL exist – bug 741590

Next:

  • Finish fixing duplicate history entry problem

  • Plugin placeholder not shown when emeds are made dynamically visible – bug 741128
    • Look into remaining click-to-play issues

Scott (jwir3)

Done:

  • Last week was layout workweek in SF.

  • Bug 708187: titles bleed out of divs on www.marketwatch.com
  • Bug 711418: Font inflation has no effect on sites with body, html {height: 100%}
  • Bug 740331: Intermittent font inflation reftest fail.

Next:

  • Bug 708175: fixed width form controls shouldn’t have their fonts inflated

Blocking:

  • There was a change to nsSVGForeignObject reflow by jwatt, bug 734079, that is blocking the backport of bug 708187 to aurora. Something in the bug is needed to avoid assertions in debug mode for bug 708187. Trying to figure out what to do here.

BLassey

  • worked on getUserMedia() for still photos

  • added asynchronous file picking in support of getUserMedia()
  • reviews, meetings, triage

MFinkle

Done:

Next:

  • PTO on Thursday and Friday

  • Looking at building a list of “soft” blocking UX bugs

Madhava

Ian Barlow

Patryk Adamczyk

  • (On B2G workweek this week)

Larissa Co

  • Tablet specs

  • Firefox for B2G wireframes

GFX

Round Table

  • cpeterson: With our new release plan, do we still need to merge fixes from mozilla-central to Aurora 13?

Firefox/Gecko Delivery Meeting Minutes: 2012-04-04

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 11:00 pm

Firefox/Planning/2012-04-04

« previous week | index | next week »

Planning Meeting Details

  • Wednesdays – 11:00am PDT, 18:00 UTC

  • Mountain View Offices: Warp Core Conference Room
  • Toronto Offices: Finch Conference Room
  • irc.mozilla.org #planning for backchannel
  • (the developer meeting takes place on Tuesdays)

Video/Teleconference Details – NEW

  • 650-903-0800 or 650-215-1282 x92 Conf# 95312 (US/INTL)

  • 1-800-707-2533 (pin 369) Conf# 95312 (US)
  • Vidyo Room: Warp Core
  • Vidyo Guest URL
REMEMBER

These notes are read by people who weren’t able to attend the meeting. Please make sure to include links and context so they can be understood.

Contents

Actions from Last Week

Schedule & Progress on Upcoming Releases

Firefox Desktop

Release (3.6.28, 11.0, 10.0.3esr)

  • Our plans for migrating 3.6 users off of that unsupported Firefox version was communicated on dev.planning

Beta (12)

  • Currently investigating bug 742095 – Bookmarks toolbar not showing bookmarks (empty) on start

    • If you know of any changes that could have triggered this in our testing population, please comment in the bug

Aurora (13)

  • We’ll be addressing the support changes in FF13 during the FF12 cycle with bug 741004 – Create a hotfix add-on to communicate the FF13 de-support

Nightly (14)

  • Do you use or want to use data collected by Telemetry? We’re starting to work on the Telemetry dashboard UX. Please provide your thoughts on the Telemetry dashboard, what works, what doesn’t, what you’ve find useful in bug 736484 or contact Lawrence Mandel.

Firefox Mobile

  • Slight change of plan. Fx14 will be our ship vehicle.

    • We will no longer be uplifting aggressively to aurora for Fx13

Aurora (13)

  • Uplifted a bunch of UI and Sync patches

Nightly (14)

  • Stability improves

  • Work on blockers continues
  • Video-based Performance Testing: William Lachance has been working on the EideTicker Dashboard and has checkerboarding tests for scrolling and zooming.

Firefox Sync

  • Native Sync (nightly)

    • Push Tab to Device has landed (requires a desktop addon)

    • Forms sync (preffed off) has landed
  • Sync for Boot 2 Gecko/Sign into Browser
    • In progress

    • Sync 2.0/persona/BrowserId Flag day is now tied to this & B2G’s deadlines
      • Old Clients will not work after Flag Day

Add-on SDK

Release (1.6 -> Firefox 11, 12)

Stabilization (1.7 -> Firefox 12, 13)

  • Merged dev to stabilization yesterday

  • On track to release 15 May 2012

Development (1.8 -> Firefox 13, 14)

  • On track to merge to Stabilization 15 May 2012

  • More interesting things to look out for in the future
    • landing the loader in Firefox

    • capacity to more easily share modules
    • porting portions of tools from python to js

Identity

Apps

  • B2G can now install Apps. Cool.

  • Firefox Desktop 14 (Nightly) – being reviewed
    • Native Install

    • Chromeless launch of apps
  • Firefox Mobile 14 (Nightly) – in progress
    • Native install

    • Chromefull launch of Marketplace and apps
    • Proposed Android solution is to bundle the marketplace with Firefox. More coming on this.
  • Apps in the Cloud
    • Apps in the Cloud server available for developers

    • Apps in the Cloud client demo due Friday

Feedback Summary

Desktop

  • We blocklisted Java. People really want it to re-enable it (and there seems to be problems if you have multiple old java versions where installing an update doesn’t work)

  • The flash update caused “your browser is blocking flash” errors on Yahoo/AT&T mail. This has since been resolved (thanks kev!)

Mobile

UX & User Research

User Research
The UR team will be conducting a longitudinal study to understand how people use our new Search Tabs feature. Search tabs allows you to search for something, and see results from various sources. For example, if you search for “harry potter,” you will see the Google results for “harry potter” with icons down the left hand side of your page. Currently, the icons are for Yahoo, Bing, Amazon, Ebay, Twitter, and Wikipedia. If you click on the Yahoo icon, the main screen will change from Google to Yahoo, and you can see the results there. The idea is that the search tabs provide more data to the user, and users will see that some searches are better on some search engines than on others. It’s a way to help open the web back up during the search process.

Overall Study Objectives

  • Understand the situations when people use tabbed search, their reactions to using tabbed search, and what they do with the information after searching

  • Answer the question, “Do users find tabbed search valuable to their search activities?”
  • Determine other sites people would like to see as part of the tabbed search including sites they would add on their own using the plus button
  • Provide design recommendations based on user feedback and usage
  • Make a final recommendation on whether or not to deploy this feature.

Research Overview

  • Participants will complete a one-week logging activity kicked off by a one hour, in-person interview

  • The logging activity includes using the new search feature three times per day, and then answering a set of questions about their experiences using the feature.

Dates

  • The study begins April 18, and we expect to have results by the end of May/beginning of June.

Questions/Comments:

  • Contact Cori Schauer, cschauer@mozilla.com or IRC: cschauer

UX design

  • Android

    • spec for native tablet UI nearly done, bugs opening; next version of phone UI explorations done, specs to come

    • short list of final UX nice-to-haves for v1 in preparation: https://etherpad.mozilla.org/ZWwMvwVlGZ
  • B2G – detailed wireframing work on Firefox/browser for B2G ongoing
  • Metro – design sketching / early wireframing for touch-oriented Metro UI https://wiki.mozilla.org/Firefox_Metro_UI
  • Desktop
    • further refinement of sign-into-browser

    • iterating through interaction design for (Australis) browser customization
    • design explorations for social api UI

Market Insights

Desktop / Platform

Amazon

  • Amazon released an update for the Silk Browser included with the Kindle Fire. It includes a “Reading View” feature: “When invoked by the customer, Silk will load the body of the page in a reading-optimized, single screen view (even for multi-page articles). The full page is still available in the background, allowing the reader to easily toggle back to a traditional view to see other interesting features on the page.” Some early reviews have been mixed, noting that it sometimes renders multi-page articles in the wrong order.

Google

Webkit

Facebook

  • Facebook open-sourced Ringmark, a browser test suite for building apps on the mobile web.

Microsoft

Adobe

Apple

Opera

WebM

  • The WebM project announced that more chip vendors have introduced hardware support for the video protocol, including Rockchip and ST-Ericsson. Smart TVs with full HD WebM support are coming to the market from LG Electronics this spring, with other OEMs following soon after.

Mobile

Summary below, full update here and in your inbox.

  • 64% of Androids run on Gingerbread, 23% on Froyo and 3% on Ice Cream Sandwich

  • Minor update to Ice Cream Sandwich has been pushed to the Android Open Source repository
  • Android has captured 50% of all smartphones in the US
  • Searches from smartphones and tablets combined will generate 25% of Google’s paid search clicks in the US by the end of 2012
  • The European Commission began an antitrust investigation of Motorola Mobility with regards to mobile patents
  • The European Commission extended a cap on roaming fees for voice and SMS enacted price limits on roaming data fees
  • The Nokia Lumia 900, the flagship device for Windows Phone 7 for the US market, has had its first reviews
  • Nokia is rumoured to be planning to launch 2 new Linux-based low-end devices for the emerging markets
  • Opera released a privacy-conscious mobile campaign tracker solution

Marketing, Press & Public Reaction

Desktop

  • Working on billboards for 3.6 EOL release. L10n is the blocker.

  • Preparing comms and collaterral for next release.

Mobile

  • Finalizing Beta promotions and communications

  • Launch efforts and campaigns on track for GA release

Other

Press

Questions, Comments, FYI

  • Sync & AITC (apps in the cloud)

    • tl;dr separate hardware, separate behaviors, same engineering team

    • the services team is supporting the backend of aitc, but not the front end
    • different hardware
    • different ToS (see below for why)
    • AITC has durable cleartext data, mozilla can see your data
    • sync has encrypted, nondurable data sync is not a backup! and mozilla cant see your data

Actions this week

« Newer PostsOlder Posts »

Powered by WordPress