Meeting Notes

27-February-2014

Mobile: 2014-02-26

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 12:00 am

Topics for This Week

Hub
Triaged P1 bugs. Landed tweaks to JS APIs. Continuing to build demo add-ons (some may not work on Nightly right now, we’re working on fixing that).

Release Cycle
The last beta we take changes in is next week. Get your uplifts done. No more speculative fixes.

Help out sync
There are bugs that require no specific sync knowledge to tackle, have a look at the list and help out

Friends of the Mobile Team

Give a shoutout/thanks to people for helping fix and test bugs. Make sure friends also get awarded a badge. New contributors are highlighted in bold.

  • Veeti Paananen fixed bug 950826 – Super toast style not matching native platform look and feel

Stand ups

Suggested format:

  • What did you do last week?

  • What are working on this week?
  • Anything blocking you?

Please keep your update to under 2 minutes!

James W. (snorp)

  • Continued Skia work (seriously)

  • Talked to networking team about options for a compressing/caching proxy system
  • Endless number of interviews/debriefs
  • Looking at bug 941800 – crash in mozilla::gl::SwapRAndBComponents

JChen

<Read Only>

Past week

Fixed

Working on

GCP

<Read Only>

  • Last week:

    • bug 975624 Freetuner.co – WebRTC audio failure on Firefox for Android

    • bug 974378 [Gingerbread] [WebRTC] Audio Input / getUserMedia is broken on Gingerbread
    • Tweaks after WebRTC workweek
  • Next week:
    • Land all the patches

Randall Barker

<Read Only>

  • Last Week(s): PTO, now sick again >:(, continued work on stand alone WebRTC lib for Roku. Working on reducing dependencies to XUL/XPCOM Glue.

  • This Week: Finish up library shrink, get building on Roku.

Brian Nicholson

<Read Only>

  • bug 963249 – Regression: Menu difference on tablets between about:home and content

  • bug 976033 – The bookmark icon under the bookmark submenu is grayed out
  • In progress: bug 962103 – Progress bar visual refinements

WesJ

<Read Only>

jdover

<Read Only>

WIP:

  • bug 966047 – Hide home banner when there are no panels enabled

  • bug 921557 – Shrink HomeBanner text on smaller screens
  • bug 975055 – Filter UI for Hub panels
  • bug 816318 – Moving to Android’s DownloadManager, looking into options for Froyo

Done:

  • bug 942295 – Filter infrastructure in hub panels

  • bug 960359 – Move HomeBanner out of Top Sites Panel

Sadness:

  • bug 966491 – Google Phone search has changed in KitKat, now only available to Google apps

LucasR

<Read Only>

Last week

  • bug 972351 – Perform item handler check in PanelLayout

  • bug 974598 – Handle full refreshes from locale changes immediately in HomeConfigInvalidator
  • bug 967286 – Default to Layout.FRAME if layout type isn’t specified in Home.panels.add
  • bug 968172 – Avoid refreshing HomeConfig on every onLocaleReady() call
  • bug 972306 – Rename Home.panels.add/remove to Home.panels.register/unregister
  • bug 974139 – Redefine registration logic to return panel options dynamically
  • bug 974926 – Rename _panels to _registeredPanels in Home.jsm
  • bug 975198 – Globe icon appears when image doesn’t load in grid view
  • bug 975357 – Initialize HomeConfigInvalidator in GeckoApplication.onCreate()
  • bug 976122 – HomePanels:Get is broken
  • bug 977103 – Prefix LocaleManager’s static members with ‘s’
  • (In progress) bug 975841 – crash in org.mozilla.gecko.sqlite.SQLiteBridgeException: Cant prepare statement:
  • (In progress) bug 967742 – Consolidate API to edit HomeConfig state
  • (In progress) bug 969060 – Disabling dynamic panel set as default will put default panel in ambiguous state
  • (In progress) bug 940575 – Implement per-profile SharedPreferences, eliminating uses of PreferenceManager
  • Tons of reviews

Next week

  • Some tracking bug fixing (Fx29 / Fx30)

  • More hub stuff
  • More reviews

sola

<Read Only>

This week

  • bug 959290 – Make ContentProvider for Reading List (writing tests)

  • bug 857990 – Save/Restore scroll position for an article in Reader Mode
  • bug 970524 – Investigate use of APIv11 check before starting transactions

liuche

<Read Only>

  • bug 950698 – Search string tip

  • bug 942878 – Add new Home panel from Settings
  • bug 965606 – Sync home panel only on wifi
  • bug 959917 – Make Home Panel settings reorderable
  • bug 903535 – Fix tests for new geo/wifi strings
  • More settings rewrite

Margaret

Highlights

  • Home banner follow-ups (tracked by bug 862801)

  • Enabled sync promo banner – bug 974496
  • Working on auth views and empty views for hub panels

Fixed

Working on

mcomella

<Read Only>

Past

  •  :(

Present

  • bug 976775 – Rename AssertionHelper assertions to fAssert*

  • bug 959652 – BrowserHealthRecorder.ensureEnvironment can be expensive during startup
    • bug 915312 – Ship minimal PBKDF2-SHA256 native library for Android
  • Herding bug 941155 (fix talos on mobile to have pageloader tests working in regular mode and nochrome mode) along
    • bug 969725 – r- – geckoview_example uses incorrect main.xml layout and AndroidManifest
  • bug 942283 – HomeList RSS addon
  • bug 939350 – Create Python linter wrapper

Future

esawin

<Read Only>

Past

Present

RNewman

  • Desktop Sync reviews.

  • Desktop Sync work (e.g., declining engines)
  • The usual mobile Sync stuff.
  • Fixing DB stuff, NPEs etc: bug 969637, bug 947939, bug 975792.
  • I’ll be in SF March 10-13 to play kindly uncle for desktop Sync.

nalexander

  • landed first cut of Fennec (browser) JUnit 3 tests

    • /mobile/android/tests/browser/junit3

    • me, rnewman, mcomella (?) to follow-up with guidelines for use
    • easy to use from Eclipse
    • no mach command yet
    • not yet running on infra/TBPL
    • bug 903528
  • back to the Firefox Accounts grind

    • triaged down to about ~12 P1s yesterday

    • help appreciated on P2s, tickets marked [parallel] (thanks blassey!)
    • working mostly on UX touch ups and improving FxA status screen (r? today)

BLassey

  • bug 962606 Firefox Accounts (Sign-Up) – Suggestions are present for password field

  • partner stuff

Ian Barlow

  • Hub

  • First run
  • Tablets
  • Search
  • Launcher

Security/MGoodwin

<Read Only>

  • Looking at Fx Accounts

  • Also looking at hub

A-Team

<Read Only>

  • Android bugs in Orange Factor Top 10:
   7. 27 oranges: bug 720452 (REOPENED)
   Intermittent Android jsreftest.html?test=<ANY> | load failed: null

Details

  • Wednesdays – 9:30am Pacific, 12:30pm Eastern, 16:30 UTC

  • Dial-in: conference# 99998
    • US/California/Mountain View: +1 650 903 0800, x92 Conf# 99998

    • US/California/San Francisco: +1 415 762 5700, x92 Conf# 99998
    • US/Oregon/Portland: +1 971 544 8000, x92 Conf# 99998
    • CA/Vancouver: +1 778 785 1540, x92 Conf# 99998
    • CA/Toronto: +1 416 848 3114, x92 Conf# 99998
    • UK/London: +44 (0)207 855 3000, x92 Conf# 99998
    • FR/Paris: +33 1 44 79 34 80, x92 Conf# 99998
    • US/Toll-free: +1 800 707 2533, (pin 369) Conf# 99998
  • irc.mozilla.org #mobile for backchannel
  • Mobile Vidyo Room

Firefox/Gecko Delivery Planning: 2014-02-26

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 12:00 am

No meeting 2/26/14

most of the typical attendees are either at MWC or TRIBE. Please add any pertinent notes to the wiki, but there will be no call to discuss.

REMEMBER

These notes are read by people who weren’t able to attend the meeting. Please make sure to include links and context so they can be understood.

Schedule & Progress onUpcoming Releases

Firefox Desktop & Platform

Current Releases

  • nothing to report

Developer Tools

  • Epic work week was epic (demo photo) (Indie band photo)

    • Etherpad

    • Highlights included:
      • demo from Optimizer from India!

      • media tools hacking: canvas debugger, web audio inspector
      • productivity: App manager & Editor demos
      • Worker debugging now, er, works
      • many demos, such wow
  • The mercurial box highlighter patch is on track for 30. Considering a few hacks for fast-tracked landing from last week.

26-February-2014

Mozilla Platform: 2014-02-25

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 12:00 am

Hot Bugs

(Important bugs for which we need to find owners or additional help. If known, please include suggested team or knowledge needed to advance the bug.)

Orange Factor
Stability

Other

The Need To Know

(Release and system issues that may impact engineering this week.)

Notices/Schedule (lsblakk/sylvestre)

  • 28.0b6 desktop shipping this afternoon PT

  • next desktop beta gtb on Thursday
  • No more speculative fixes landed after this week
  • Help Wanted on Aurora tracked bug: can someone help Whimboo with a regression range here bug 963474 as it seems fx-team landings aren’t lining up with trunk
Next Merge: March 17, 2014 Next Release: March 18, 2014
Trains
Central: 30 Aurora: 29 Beta: 28 Release: 27
47 bugs (55 bugs last week) 44 bugs (41 bugs last week)
Unresolved Aurora 29 Trackers (non-security, not tracked for Beta) Unresolved Beta 28 Trackers (non-security)

Build Changes (gps)

(Build changes of which engineers should be aware.)

RelEng (catlee)

(Repo, test, and other information for engineers from the release engineering team.)

<Read Only>

  • builds now using AWS spot instances on a mix of instance types -> less $$$ (bug 972562)

    • We can make use of faster hardware too!

    • Killed jobs should be automatically retried. Please file a bug with releng if they’re not
  • started rolling out “jacuzzis” for certain build types -> faster builds (bug 970738)

  • glandium’s shared cache is giving great results on try – see his blog for details

Upcoming Outages/Upgrades

(System outages/upgrades and tree closures that impact engineering.)

Team Stand-ups

(In <2 mins, what did your team accomplish last week, on what is your team working on this week, and on what, if anything, is your team blocked? No questions during the stand-ups. All questions should be asked during the roundtable.)

Accessibility (dbolter)

<Read Only>

  • Marco and Eitan are in the Toronto office this week to work with Yura on FFOS a11y.

  • WAI-ARIA is in candidate recommendation stage. Comments welcome on the related dev-platform thread (started by dbaron earlier this month).

Add-on SDK (dtownsend)

<Read Only>

  • Amazing meetup last week, details to follow this week

DOM (jst/overholt)

  • Honoring document.domain is now the exception instead of the rule (per spec).

Firefox Mobile (mfinkle/blassey)

  • Hub

    • Made demos for MWC that are currently being shown off by mfinkle and elan

    • triaged remaining bugs to a list of Fx30 blockers for this feature
  • fixed WebRTC Audio for Gingerbread bug 974378

Firefox OS Devices/Porting (ericchou)

<Read Only>

  • Gonk, porting and partner issues (Danny Liang, Shawn Ku, Vincent Liu, Viral Wang)

    • Flatfish

      • Failed to backup /system by extract-files.sh (bug 974757, being reviewed)

      • Created a new repository for device/allwinner/flatfish on github (bug 958452, landed)
      • Added a manifest file to support Flatfish device (bug 960491, landed)
    • Tarako
      • Unable to flash Tarako – stuck in fastboot trying to flash/send ‘system’ (bug 973046, WIP)

      • Video/Audio got stucks when playing some mpeg4 files (bug 974250)
      • Sometimes typing keyboard continuously, the report of key events are not correct. (bug 972776)
    • Nexus 5
      • App uses front-facing camera crashes on Nexus-5 (bug 974919, investigated. This has been marked as a dup)
    • RIL-related
      • Enhance GSM/UMTS Signal Strength on Emulator. (bug 970212, landed)

      • Preferred Network types for LTE (bug 973771)
        • Discussed with RIL team. Gecko needs to deprecate code regarding ril.radio.preferredNetworkType, and gaia still has some work to do for preference.
  • Media Playback (Blake Wu, Bruce Sun, Star Cheng)

    • Video thumbnail generation rule and API discussion

      • We’ve reached an agreement to use createResizedImage() API for generating video thumbnail. (bug 942078)
    • Presented the design of PlatformDecoderModule for FirefoxOS to EPMs/PMs. (bug 941302)
    • Potential bad A/V sync because of not considering audio latency (bug 942988, patch is being reviewed)
    • Color conversion between HAL_PIXEL_FORMAT_YCbCr_420_SP_VENUS and RGB565 (bug 961627, kk-porting blocker, r+)
      • Reverse engineering on VENUS color format transform was done, however our legal (Jishnu) suggested not to do reverse engineering.

      • Since QC has already had a solution, Michael Vines removed the dependency with the kk-porting meta bug so this was no longer a blocker.
    • We should be able to handle the video if its display width and height are not the same as its data width and height. (bug 970774, Bruce gave some feedback)
  • Bluetooth (Ben Tian, Eric Chou, Jamin Liu, Shawn Huang)

    • WebBluetooth API discussion

      • The API we have discussed includes overall architecture design, power on/off, parameter setter/getter, discovering and pairing related API. We target to release our API and start to implement it on our local branch by the end of next week.
    • AVRCP doesn’t work right (bug 961984, kk-porting blocker, investigated and delegated to Gaia::Music)
    • Implemented GATT Client API in gecko Bluetooth in order to support BT 4.0 (bluedroid only) (bug 933357, WIP)
    • Modified test cases to map the interface change on emulator (bug 860698, WIP)
  • Camera (Ben Tian)

    • Bug fixing

      • Jpeg thumbnail size is too small. (bug 971531, 1.3T+, POVB)

      • Camera preview looks very noisy through viewfinder during photo composition (bug 972142, nominating as 1.3+)
  • Stability (Alphan Chen)

    • Implementation of about::service (bug 964636)

      • Got feedback+ from reviewer and still worked on making the interface more generic.
    • Study MTP (Media Transfer Protocol)
  • Device Storage (Alan Huang)

    • Implementation of SD card related API

Firefox OS Telephony/WIFI/NFC (kenhkchang)

<Read Only>

  • To fix 1.3 bugs,

    • bug 963054 – [fugu][DSDS] follow-up for radio control: radio of slot 2 is not on even there’s a sim card

    • bug 960894 – Utilize one single RIL worker in DSDS
  • QC Blocker list,
    • bug 881174 – B2G CDMA: support conference (3-way) call.

    • bug 960865 – B2G RIL: support dun apn type.
    • bug 969218 – B2G RIL: using promise for telephony.dial() and dialEmergency()
    • bug 975813 – Support IPv6 in Network Manager
    • bug 900429 – (b2g-ril-cdma) Personalization state for CDMA.
    • bug 973771 – B2G RIL: Preferred Network types for LTE.
    • bug 881174 – B2G CDMA: support conference (3-way) call
    • bug 960865 – B2G RIL: support dun apn type
    • bug 973842 – support adding routes in secondary routing tables
    • bug 961571 – B2G RIL: support ims apn type
  • NFC,
    • bug 933588 – B2G NFC: Rewrite NFC Worker in C++.

    • bug 969254 – [Flame] Devices doesn’t support NFC required nci hal library.

Firefox OS Systems – Front End (gwagner)

<Read Only>

Firefox OS Systems – Platform (timdream)

<Read Only>

  • Tarako: (Steve) Working with Thinker et al on ringtone latency issue. It seems that Gaia workaround is not possible.

  • 3rd-party keyboard support (Rudy): Gecko issue resolved (bug 968991), feature to be enabled AFTER 1.4. A 1.4+ bug is caused by workaround removed in Messages app. Will communicate and get that focus management workaround back and worked out a focus management plan for Gecko/Gaia in 1.5.
  • Lock Screen (Greg): Emergency call as an app patch ready for review (will land on bubble-tea). Working on widget management and sync with TV discussion.
  • Built-in keyboard update (Tim, Rudy): Working on converting app pattern. Will land on master because the test app is not included in the production build. Jan will help and David will only be able to be consulted.
  • DSDS (EJ, Arthur): A 1.4+ feature landed (“always ask”). Waiting on [PVOB] dependency for bug 962380. Working on 1.4 committed features, bug 921391 and bug 975918 (call forwarding and voice mail.
  • Format SD card (Ian): Working on Gaia UI of SD card status and mount/unmount UI.
  • NFC (Greg): No update on Gaia. Small UI fixes landed on master.
  • Build script (Yuren, George): Working on shared script handling and copy to build_stage.
  • Window management (Alive): Working on opening new sheet for haida (will land on bubble-tea first), suspended app resuming. 1.4+ regression to be fixed.
  • System refactor (Alive, etc): Stage 1 bug WIP on bubble-tea.
  • Gecko Profiler GUI (Alive): added more features.
  • Settings (Fred, Arthur, Evan): AMD patches will land to bubble-tea temporary. 6 tests remaining to be done (Travis-CI timing issue), will be landed on master.
  • Gaia Audio Channel Service (Dominic, Alive): UX have produced the first draft, in discussion. Next: Prioritize the items in the planning phase of 1.5.
  • Music (Dominic): Fixing some 1.3 and 1.4 blockers.
  • Message/DSDS (Steve): Working on 1.4 required features. DSDS features is wrapping up.
  • Calendar (Evan): Fixing some top-10 bugs.
  • JS Marionette (Evan): Broke TPBL due to dependency issue, fixing.

GFX (milan)

  • focus for the graphics team for the next three weeks:

    • 942750 – no checkerboarding (likely includes enabling tiling)

    • 957323 – hardware composer fence on B2G 1.4
    • 854795 – image downsize on decode
    • KitKat support (Nexus 5 for now)

JS (naveed)

<Read Only>

No update this week

Media (mreavy)

  • The former Talkilla team now reports to mreavy, and the project has been renamed “Loop” (codename, NOT a product name)

  • Landed final support for B2G getUserMedia video (rotation (bug 970183) and front/back camera support (bug 898949)). So gUM video is scheduled to ship in v1.4. If you have problems with gUM video on B2G, please file bugs and cc mreavy.
  • If you’re using a Mac with WebRTC in speakerphone mode and it echoes badly, try adding this pref: media.peerconnection.capture_delay: 50 (bug 974537)
  • Fixed “black screens on TokBox conferences” (one-way video was broken) bug 972097 and uplifted to aurora & beta
  • Continue to add more stuff to about:webrtc (only shows interesting stuff while the call is active)

Necko (dougt/jduell)

  • Http cache landed on m-c temporarily. We found some bugs to fix. Thanks!

  • We’re going to support “moving” channels from a child back to the parent. See bug 975338 if you have use cases that could benefit.

Performance (vladan)

No update this week

Seceng (mmc)

<Read Only>

  • Support for OCSP (bug 915931) and certificate error overrides (bug 975122) were added to insanity::pkix, the new certificate verification library replacing NSS’s certificate verification. insanity::pkix for TLS is still pref’d-off (security.use_insanity_verification=false). It is expected to be enabled soon, after EV support (bug 921895) and OCSP caching (bug 915932) are added, and after more testing is done. If you don’t care about your own HTTPS security and you play with this, please report any issues, particularly compatibility issues, in the “Core :: Security: PSM” component ASAP.
  • Signed packaged app installation, based on insanity::pkix, was uplifted to Aurora 29 (bug 896620). While it is unclear which release packaged app installation will officially get enabled for, with this you can already play Cut-the-Rope in Firefox 29 Aurora and Firefox 30 Nightly (tested on Windows):

    • Go to https://marketplace.firefox.com/app/cut-the-rope?src=search

    • Using Firefox Developer Tools, remove the disabled=”” attribute and the “incompatible” class from the app install button (labeled “free”). This will enable the button.
    • Click the button.
    • You will be prompted to install the app. Approve the install.
    • You will get a system tray notification. Click “run the app” in the notification.
    • The app will start up full screen. Play the game for a while.
    • Exit the game.
    • “Show Desktop.”
    • Observe that the “Cut the Rope” application shortcut is on the desktop.
    • Double-click the shortcut to start the game again.
    • Play the game some more.
    • Occasionally look up so it looks like you’re paying attention to the rest of the updates in this meeting.
  • Application Reputation: Landed bug 964465 support for whitelisting based on certificate information

WebAPI (overholt)

Quality Programs

(An opportunity to hear about status with the various quality programs that do not have a formal team structure.)

MemShrink (njn)

OrangeFactor (ryanvm)

  • Past week’s OrangeFactor: 4.64 (Previous Week: 6.57).

  • 15 intermittent failures fixed in the last week – List – Thanks!.

Stability (kairo/bsmedberg)

  • Overall numbers look pretty good except for Nightly, the bugs there are being worked on.

  • Beta 28 for Android continues to look awesome in stability data!

Roundtable

(Comments and questions that arise during the course of the meeting or otherwise do not have a section.)

<Read only beyond this point>

Friends of the Tree

There were great changes by volunteers in Core and Toolkit during the past week. Thanks to all of these contributors for their passion and hard work, and say hi to new contributors Justin Shrake, Kunal Arora, Chris Lewis, and Ulrich Weigand! Here are some highlights:

Mailing List Threads

(Threads that are likely to be of interest to engineering from various mailing lists.)

Good Reads

(Links to blog posts, books, videos, etc. that you think will be of interest to others.)

irc #planning Log From This Meeting

11:02 KaiRo: cpeterson: no voice updates from stability today

Engineering Meeting Details

  • Tuesday 2014-02-2511:00 am Pacific Standard Time

  • Dial-in: conference# 98411
    • US/California/Mountain View: +1 650 903 0800, x92 Conf# 98411

    • US/California/San Francisco: +1 415 762 5700, x92 Conf# 98411
    • US/Oregon/Portland: +1 971 544 8000, x92 Conf# 98411
    • CA/Vancouver: +1 778 785 1540, x92 Conf# 98411
    • CA/Toronto: +1 416 848 3114, x92 Conf# 98411
    • UK/London: +44 (0)207 855 3000, x92 Conf# 98411
    • FR/Paris: +33 1 44 79 34 80, x92 Conf# 98411
    • US/Toll-free: +1 800 707 2533, (pin 369) Conf# 98411
  • Engineering Vidyo Room / Air Mozilla / MTV Warp Core / TOR Finch / SFO Warfield / PDX Hair of the Dog
  • join irc.mozilla.org #planning for back channel

25-February-2014

Mozilla Project: 2014-02-24

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 12:00 am

All-hands Status Meeting Agenda

Items in this section will be shared during the live all-hand status meeting.

Friends of Mozilla

Thanks to Jeff Potts for all the code he’s been contributing to our community directory, Mozillians.org!

Thanks to Ouesten (Marco Aurélio), Diego Victor, and Anderson for their awesome initiatives on Support Forums and Contributor Forums on SUMO pt-BR.

Upcoming Events

Wednesday, 26 February

Thursday, 27 February

Project Status Updates (voice updates)

Webmaker

Speaker Location: non-verbal

  • In case you missed it: Report-outs on launching our Gigabit Communities as well as diving into Webmaker Work Week in Toronto on our blog.

Open Badges

Speaker Location: Washington, DC

February 12-13 Summit to Reconnect Learning Announcement Summary:

  • Over seven organizations have pledged their commitment to working with Open Badges within their communities: Pearson, ETS, edX, Workforce.io, The Council for Aid to Education, The Afterschool Alliance, and Hive Learning Networks.

  • A new Badge Alliance has formed, which is a network of organizations and individuals working together to build and support an open badging ecosystem. Erin Knight will lead the Alliance, transitioning out of Mozilla over the coming months.
    • Over 15 organizations have signed up to be founding members of the new Alliance, including Pearson, Blackboard, HASTAC, Digital Promise, Digital Youth Network and much more. You can read more about the Badge Alliance on Erin’s blog [1]:
  • Nine cities are working together towards summer of learning initiatives modeled from last year’s Chicago Summer of Learning, and many will launch pilots this summer using a shared tech platform, as well as shared content and pathways, called the Cities of Learning Tech Package.

Full details of the Summit are available here [2].

Open News

Speaker Location: Chicago

  • Last week, OpenNews launched SourceJobs, a listing of journalism code jobs on the Source website. Additional details can be found in this announcement.

Mozilla Science Lab

Speaker Location: non-verbal

  • Join the open Software Carpentry lab meeting this week.

IT

Speaker Location:
mjeffries, San Francisco

•WebOps (Brandon Burton and Chris Turra) helped run the Mozilla booth at the SoCaL Linux Expo, demoing Keon and ZTE Open phones and having a great time promoting FirefoxOS at one of the biggest open source conferences in North America

•MWC 2014 is shaping up to be a big milestone for Mozilla, and IT played a key role in making it happen. Here’s a quick update from Albert Villarde from Barcelona:

- First off, hats off to Joel Braddock and Clarissa Sorenson from EUS.  Joel was key to arranging all the logistics and keeping track of all the tasks, dates, and delivery!  Clarissa is on the ground at MWC and has been nothing short of spectacular!  She’s been mostly dedicated to installing FxOS builds and helping the QA team.  

- Second, we’ve partnered with American AV (folks that did the 2013 Summit) to provide onsite support.  This year, we’ve had to cover 2 large venues (MWC and the press event) plus a dozen other offsite gatherings.  We could not have done this without their support.  

- For the press event last night, we worked with the hotel to provide 200Mb capacity for our wifi. Last I heard between 300-400 press showed up.

- At the MWC “Stand” (aka Booth), we’ve prepared 2 transit feeds from the onsite provider (Fira).  Our primary feed is a 100Mb “production” network fit to serve about 800 concurrent connections, of which half are assumed to be phones!  

- In the last couple days, we overcame some logistics hurdles, hardware shortages, vendor network snafus and a power outage lasting 9 hours. Again, we could not have done this without contract help, experience with trade-shows, and quick thinking.

- On Stand, in addition to the transit connection, we prepped reference devices, laptops, mac minis (to run displays), tablets, an over-abundance of adapters of every variation, cables, cell power packs, ELMOS (projectors, not red toys), airports, socket server, roku, printer, switches, wifi controller, APs, 1000′ of ethernet cables, and of course a “control center” to come down to this –> MWC readiness!

Web Compatibility

Speaker Location: ATX (miketaylr)

  • wired.com widgets working now

  • instructables.com “get the app” modal actually closes now.
  • Firefox OS mobile site wins: cbs.com (935908), kjendis.no (975924), ndtv.com (974790), www.1and1.fr (964604), allocine.fr (964166), hvg.hu (878234), lancenet.com.br (827576), climatempo.com.br (827631), bumeran.com.ve (828445), arukereso.hu (878222)

Send us your mobile site compat bugs!.

Speakers

Presenter Title Topic Location Share? Media More Details
Who Are You? What Do You Do? What are you going to talk about? Where are you presenting from? (Moz Space, your house, space) Will you be sharing your screen? (yes/no, other info) Links to slides or images you want displayed on screen Link to where audience can find out more information
Megan Cole Marketing Lead Summit to Reconnect Learning // Badges My house in Washington, DC No N/A http://openbadges.tumblr.com/post/77179382403/srl14-a-week-of-reflection-collaboration
Erik Rose Project Lead, DXR Easier, better, prettier searching of Mozilla source trees My glacier-carved lair in North Carolina Yes N/A http://dxr.mozilla.org/ https://blog.mozilla.org/webdev/2014/02/07/dxr-gets-a-huge-ui-refresh/

Roundtable

Do you have a question about a Mozilla Project or initiative? Let us know by Friday- we’ll do our best to get you an answer.

Please note that we may not always be able to get to every item on this list, but we will try!

Who are you? Area of question Question
What’s your name? What do you work on? Is your question about policy, a product, a Foundation initiative, etc. What would you like to know?

Welcome!

Let’s say hello to some new Mozillians! If you are not able to join the meeting live, you can add a link to a short video introducing yourself.

Introducing New Volunteers

New Volunteer(s) Introduced by Speaker location New Volunteer location Will be working on
Who is the new volunteer(s)? Who will be introducing that person? Where is the introducer? Where is the new person based? What will the new person be doing?

Introducing New Hires

New Hire Introduced by Speaker location New Hire location Will be working on
Kearwood Gilbert Jet Villegas Vancouver Vancouver Platform Engineer
Dethe Elza Wil Clouser Portland Vancouver Marketplace
Jennifer Chaulk Sheila Mooney Mountain View Canada – remote Engineering Program Manager
Richard Pappalardo Edwin Wong San Francisco Mountain View Services QA Engineer
Mike Lien Brian Huang Taipei Taipei Firefox OS QA Engineer

<meta>

Notes and non-voice status updates that aren’t part of the live meeting go here.


  • Dial-in: conference# 8600

    • US/California/Mountain View: +1 650 903 0800, x92 Conf# 8600

    • US/California/San Francisco: +1 415 762 5700, x92 Conf# 8600
    • US/Oregon/Portland: +1 971 544 8000, x92 Conf# 8600
    • CA/Vancouver: +1 778 785 1540, x92 Conf# 8600
    • CA/Toronto: +1 416 848 3114, x92 Conf# 8600
    • UK/London: +44 (0)207 855 3000, x92 Conf# 8600
    • FR/Paris: +33 1 44 79 34 80, x92 Conf# 8600
    • US/Toll-free: +1 800 707 2533, (pin 369) Conf# 8600

20-February-2014

Mobile: 2014-02-19

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 12:00 am

Schedule

  • Next merge: 2014-03-17

Topics for This Week

Hub
Refining Home.panels API bug 972306, bug 968573, bug 968188. We’ll share the demo add-ons we’ve been working on (Pocket, Flickr, RSS) once the API stabilizes.
talos
What is the point? If I can read an rpr log, we spent 24 minutes of infra time to extract a single value measured in milliseconds.
 09:14:22     INFO -  02-19 09:13:18.414 I/Robocop ( 2607): __start_report509__end_report
 09:14:22     INFO -  02-19 09:13:18.421 I/Robocop ( 2607): __startTimestamp509__endTimestamp

This is incredibly wasteful and not statistically valid!

Friends of the Mobile Team

Give a shoutout/thanks to people for helping fix and test bugs. Make sure friends also get awarded a badge. New contributors are highlighted in bold.

  • p0ff fixed bug 968908 – PromptInputs should return an Object not a String (first patch!)

  • Madushan Nishantha fixed bug 948896 – Move inline scripts and styles into separate file for about:downloads (first patch!)
  • Robin Ricard fixed bug 958111 – “Find in Page” on Android should zoom in on the highlighted result (first patch!)
  • Peiyong Lin fixed bug 968378 – Hide private members in Home.jsm using closures
  • Sebastian Kaspari fixed bug 944142 – Implement NavigationHelper.goForward for phones

Stand ups

Suggested format:

  • What did you do last week?

  • What are working on this week?
  • Anything blocking you?

Please keep your update to under 2 minutes!

James W. (snorp)

<Read Only>

  • STILL trying to land bug 939276 – [SkiaGL] [Feature] Support multiple Skia DrawTargets backed by a single GLContext

  • Helped some with the skia rebase bug 910754
  • Working on turning on SkiaGL for Mac.
  • Investigating several other bugs. 788522, 622816, 957276

JChen

<Read Only> (appointment :/ )

Past week

  • Continued to work on IME tests

  • BHR improvements
    • Reducing data size

    • Fixing hang times plot
  • Interviews & PTO

Fixed

Working on

GCP

<Read Only>

  • Last week:

    • WebRTC workweek
  • This week:
    • Code reviews. (VP8 HW accel, SafeBrowsing)

    • Load Adaption. Patches sortof finished, starting testing now.

Brian Nicholson

<Read Only>

  • Band-aid fix for bug 970081 – crash in android.content.res.Resources$NotFoundException

  • bug 973021 – Remove m.foo.com -> foo.com RDS hack
  • Landed bug 970719 – Animate progress bar to end of the screen
  • Lots of reviews

WesJ

jdover

<Read Only>

WIP:

  • bug 776027 – Web Activities, will be coming up with conversions to intents based on Gaia

  • bug 961523 – Refine HomeBanner close button behavior

Finishing:

  • bug 942295 – Filters in hub panels

  • bug 960359 – Going back to hold HomeBanner design, making sure not nagging happens
  • bug 921557 – Shrink HomeBanner text on smaller screens

Investigating:

  • bug 816318 – Hacking into Froyo’s internal DownloadService will probably not work (no device to test on?)

  • bug 966491 – Google Phone search has changed in KitKat, now requires “App Indexing”

Done:

  • bug 966489 – Google Phone Search listing displays browser package name

  • bug 972879 – Crash on < ICS in Reader Mode regression

LucasR

<Read Only>

Last week

  • bug 881240 – Refine title bar reveal behaviour

  • bug 968188 – Pass a ‘reason’ to the Home.panels.add() and Home.panels.remove() APIs
  • bug 966022 – Implement the notion of itemType on existing panel views (list, grid)
  • bug 968573 – Refine interaction of clicks on dynamic panel items
  • bug 972046 – Rename home_empty*page.xml layouts to home_empty*panel.xml
  • bug 970247 – Stub ButtonToast view
  • bug 970700 – Two line row description ellipsizes in the middle
  • bug 973137 – Images in list panel disappear when it is opened in a new tab
  • bug 973666 – Get rid of TwoLineRow view
  • bug 973667 – Get rid of the HomeGridView style
  • bug 973670 – PanelGridView needs better pressed state
  • (In progress) bug 972306 – Rename Home.panels.add/remove to Home.panels.register/unregister
  • (In progress) bug 968172 – Avoid refreshing HomeConfig on every onLocaleReady() call
  • Tons of reviews

Next week

  • More Hub stuff

  • Kick-off layout optimization work
  • More reviews

sola

<Read Only>

Last week

  • bug 961238 – Make an abstract ContentProvider class (patch was breaking tests)

  • bug 965361 – Show firefox watermark when you hide all panels in about:home

This week

  • bug 959290 – Make ContentProvider for Reading List (writing tests)

  • bug 857990 – Save/Restore scroll position for an article in Reader Mode
  • bug 970524 – Investigate use of APIv11 check before starting transactions

liuche

<Read Only>

  • PTO for the past week+, catching up on bugmail

  • next:

Margaret

Highlights

  • Landed home banner tests – bug 935264

  • Re-enabled snippets – bug 962349
  • Working with jdover on home banner refinements

Fixed

Working on

mcomella

<Read Only>

Past

  • bug 938824 – Remove reflection from testSearchSuggestions

Present

  • bug 959652 – BrowserHealthRecorder.ensureEnvironment can be expensive during startup

    • bug 915312 – Ship minimal PBKDF2-SHA256 native library for Android
  • Herding bug 941155 (fix talos on mobile to have pageloader tests working in regular mode and nochrome mode) along
    • bug 969725 – r? – geckoview_example uses incorrect main.xml layout and AndroidManifest
  • bug 942283 – HomeList RSS addon
  • bug 939350 – Create Python linter wrapper

Future

esawin

<Read Only>

Past

Present

Also working on

  • bug 611556 – Zoom levels should persist within a session

RNewman

<Read Only>

The usual: 29 blockers for The Syncs, reviews, sticking my oar into the l10n waters.

Past

Present

nalexander

  • Eclipse support finally landed!

  • Planning to bit rot you all by landing bug 938994 this week.
  • Posted work in progress on a Fennec JUnit 3 test suite bug 903528. Plan of record is to land test suite without TBPL support and encourage uptake by demonstrating how much easier it is to experiment in an instrumentation test that is locally run than in Fennec itself. This is much more convincing when developing in an IDE.
  • Mentoring mcomella with bug 915312, a tricky mix of native code and build system hijinkery.
  • Re-writing Firefox Account status activity to look like GeckoPreferences. I’m using the following small library to ease the PreferenceFragment on >= v11 vs. PreferenceActivity battle on < v11; we’ll see how that goes.

BLassey

  • partner stuff

  • moving

MFinkle

  • MWC preparations

  • MWC next week

Ian Barlow

  • Hub stuff – panels are looking good, still work to be done on the end-to-end flow

  • FxA Sync – filing bugs
  • MWC prep

Arun

  • PTO until March 7

A-Team

<Read Only>

  • One Android bug in Orange Factor Top 10:

9. 40 oranges: bug 959804

 Intermittent tcheck2 | application crashed [@ libc.so + 0x11e78]

Feature Focus

Fx28, Ships March 18th
Fx29, Ships April 29th
Fx30, Ships on June 10th

Details

  • Wednesdays – 9:30am Pacific, 12:30pm Eastern, 16:30 UTC

  • Dial-in: conference# 99998
    • US/California/Mountain View: +1 650 903 0800, x92 Conf# 99998

    • US/California/San Francisco: +1 415 762 5700, x92 Conf# 99998
    • US/Oregon/Portland: +1 971 544 8000, x92 Conf# 99998
    • CA/Vancouver: +1 778 785 1540, x92 Conf# 99998
    • CA/Toronto: +1 416 848 3114, x92 Conf# 99998
    • UK/London: +44 (0)207 855 3000, x92 Conf# 99998
    • FR/Paris: +33 1 44 79 34 80, x92 Conf# 99998
    • US/Toll-free: +1 800 707 2533, (pin 369) Conf# 99998
  • irc.mozilla.org #mobile for backchannel
  • Mobile Vidyo Room

Firefox/Gecko Delivery Planning: 2014-02-19

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 12:00 am

Schedule & Progress onUpcoming Releases

Firefox Desktop & Platform

[READ ONLY]

Current Releases

  • 27.0.1 doing fine

Beta (28)

  • Only one Desktop & Mobile beta (beta 4) this week due to crasher & holiday on Monday in much of Canada/US

Firefox Mobile

Beta (28)

Aurora (29)

Nightly (30)

Developer Tools

  • Work week in Portland this week

Market Insights from the Market Strategy Team

Desktop/Platform

  • Google is further strengthening it’s Enterprise play versus Microsoft, with 4 years of official support for Chrome OS[1], increased business development activities around Chromebooks and Chromeboxes[2], increased measures for safety of Chrome extensions[3], improvements to V8 Javascript engine including compiling to native in the background for smoother user experience[4], and a partnership with VMWare to bring Windows apps to Chromebooks.[5]
  • Windows 8.1 Update 1 adds numerous features that make the modern side of the operating system easier to use without a touch screen[6] as details of Windows 8 UX design decisions emerge from unofficial channels [7]. NPD research estimates that only 40% of Windows netbooks sold in consumer markets had touch screens. Meanwhile, Microsoft campaigns hard to persuade Windows XP users to migrate to Windows 8.1 before XP’s end of life support[8] while also claiming sales of 200 million Windows 8 licenses[9] of which between 165 million and 184 million are used to access the Web per ComputerWorld research.

Mobile

  • More rumors with details on the agreements between Google and OEMs with regards to the suite of Google proprietary apps for Android have surfaced. The article states “Google will be forcing manufacturers to run a specified API level (and the corresponding OS version) or above if they want their hardware to ship with Google Mobile Services, aka Google Apps. The window to certify any device running Android 4.1 or below with Google Mobile Services expired at the beginning of this month. That means manufacturers will no longer be able to submit devices for GMS approval to Google unless they run Android 4.2 or above.”
  • Here is a collection of mobile stats for 2013. They include:

    • Install base of smartphone operating systems end of 2013: Android with 1089 million units (66%), iOS with 336 million (21%), Symbian with 81 million (5%) out of an estimated total of 1644 million smartphones.

    • Sales of smartphones by operating system in 2013: Android with 767 million (78%), iOS with 153 million (16%), Windows Phone with 33 million (3%) out of a total of 990 million.
  • A similar set of 2013 statistics, but focused on the top smartphone vendors is here. The top 3 are Samsung, Apple and Huawei, followed by LG and Lenovo.
  • Microsoft is investing in providing a unified experience between Bing apps on Windows 8.1 and Windows Phone, hinting at potential convergence between the 2 platforms.
  • Opera opened pre – registrations to Max, an app which compresses all of the data sent by an Android phone. The company has taken the data compression feature from its browser and has extended it to the entire device.
  • Everybody is preparing for Mobile World Congress, which takes place next week in Barcelona and its the largest mobile event of the year.

Marketing, Press & Public Reaction

  • Overall – we can be found either at MWC or ramping up for Firefox 29

  • We continue to optimize the Australis onboarding tour as it moves through release milestones
  • Various download page optimization continues, we’re now folding those efforts into a newly formed Growth Team

Questions, Comments, FYI

  • Tree closure this Saturday, February 22 ~1300 – 1600PT – bug 971818

Planning Meeting Details

  • Wednesdays – 11:00am PT, 18:00 UTC

  • Mountain View Offices: Warp Core Conference Room
  • Toronto Offices: Finch Conference Room
  • irc.mozilla.org #planning for backchannel
  • (the developer meeting takes place on Tuesdays)

Video/Teleconference Details – NEW

  • 650-903-0800 or 650-215-1282 x92 Conf# 99696 (US/INTL)

  • 1-800-707-2533 (pin 369) Conf# 99696 (US)
  • Vidyo Room: ProductCoordination
  • Vidyo Guest URL

19-February-2014

SeaMonkey: 2014-02-18

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 12:00 am

Agenda

  • Who’s taking minutes? -> mcsmurf

  • Nominees for Friends of the Fish Tank:
    • TBD

Action Items

(who needs to do what that hasn’t been recorded in a bug)
We should assign people to the open items.

NEW

OPEN

CLOSED

Status of the SeaMonkey Buildbot Master and Tree

  • Python has been updated on all buildboxen!

  • We are perma-orange on comm-central, comm-aurora and comm-beta due to problems with tests
    • Windows en-US builds are being successfully compiled but tests are not working due to a dependency on python 2.7.3.

    • bug 908090 ImportError: No module named json, on SeaMonkey Linux/Windows (all) test runs, due to (still) using Python 2.5. We do have python 2.7 installed but our build system is picking up python 2.5 instead.
      • ewong’s patch is waiting for review. It was manually patched on the master; but, was reverted and the buildmaster was reconfigured and so the changes are gone. Need to have the patch pushed officially in order for this bug to be fixed.
    • pymake is failing with “invalid syntax” again because of an outdated Python.
    • Priority on fixing this and l10n repacks after 2.24 release.(No ETA yet)
    • bug 943740 is tracking the progress (or lack of one) in building trunk and aurora on Linux & Mac from the downloading user’s POV. (Windows nightlies are still appearing on schedule — or were until a day or two ago.)
  • No langpacks since 29th August on trunk. Needs investigating.
    • Windows and Mac trunk langpacks directories have been removed on the FTP server, maybe for lack of recent XPIs (later than 2.20a1). Latest Linux langpacks are dated 29 August. Callek told Tonymec on IRC he has a hunch about why but more pressing things to do first.

    • In Bug 902876 Comment 12 Mcsmurf is waiting for feedback from the build team on how to proceed.
  • Buildmaster is up and running.
    • Callek is hand-approving requests for CLOSED TREE landings at the moment.

    • Due to the master having some mysql issues, Callek has put a halt on the mysql updates, which affects the tbpl. So nothing is showing in tbpl atm.
  • comm-* will be building out of mozilla-* eventually (bug 648979 etc.). Jcrammer is working on this.

Release Train

  • SeaMonkey 2.24 was released February 6.

  • SeaMonkey 2.25 beta 1 was released February 13.
  • Useful Firefox Release Schedule link: Releases Scheduling

Extensions and Plugins Compatibility Tracking

2.x (Last, Current, Next)

  • [From a previous meeting:] There is a problem with the metrics server, so no current data is available

  • See Basics page for the usual reminders.

2.24

open tracking (0)
tracking requests (0)
targeted (1)
fixed (9)

2.Next

  • Current breakages:

  • Mozilla-central bugs that affect us:
    • Note: Please file bugs if you notice any landing on mozilla-central that might break us. Please don’t depend on Ratty noticing such landings.

    • bug 805374 Remove Character Encoding menu entries that are not in the Encoding Standard. Tracked in:
      • bug 943732 Port the new Character Encoding menu to SeaMonkey.
    • Our front end Sync UI needs to be updated as the old backend is going away in Gecko/Firefox 31. See: New Firefox Sync has landed in Firefox Nightly.
    • A lot of these bugs are due to mozilla-central switching from synchronous APIs to Asynchronous APIs.
    • bug 831208 (asyncContentPrefsUse) Refactor asyncContentPrefs consumers to use the async API. Tracked in:
      • bug 909093 Update SeaMonkey to use nsIContentPrefService2. Mcsmurf and Neil@parkway are currently working on this.
    • bug 566746 (asyncFormHistory) Form history should use asynchronous storage API. Tracked in:
      • bug 912031 Use Asynchronous FormHistory.jsm in place of nsIFormHistory2 in Suite.
    • bug 769764 move proxy resolution to separate thread and remove sync api. Tracked in:
      • MailNews bug 791645 Rewrite calls to synchronous nsIProtocolProxyService::DeprecatedBlockingResolve with Async code before DeprecatedBlockingResolve disappears as well.
    • bug 793634 Force builds to be compatible with gtk 2.18/glib 2.22. Tracked in:
    • bug 795144 default –disable-gnomeui icon theme support
      • porting bug needed for the two configure.in changesets? Changes could be folded into bug 794772 above. *** IanN and Ewong are looking into this..
    • bug 627699 Port GTK2 to GTK3. Tracked in:
      • bug 882036 Port GTK2 to GTK3 – SeaMonkey Part.

      • A Red Hat person seems to be working on the GTK3 integration.
    • bug 846635 Use asynchronous getCharsetForURI in getShortcutOrURI. bug 834543 Add asynchronous version of setCharsetForURI and getCharsetForURI. Tracked in:
      • bug 896947 Use asynchronous version of setCharsetForURI and getCharsetForURI in getShortcutOrURI and other places.
    • bug 825588 Asynchronous JavaScript API for downloads and bug 851471 Decommission nsIDownloadManager. Tracked in:
      • bug 888915 Move SeaMonkey to the new JavaScript API for downloads when nsIDownloadManager is decommissioned.

Bugs: Low Hanging Fruit

  • Not necessarily Good First Bugs but minor fixes that shouldn’t need complicated coding skills.

    • bug 952143 Expose signon.autocompleteOverride in SeaMonkey preferences UI

      • Should we migrate “wallet.crypto.autocompleteoverride” to “signon.autocompleteOverride”?
    • bug 960566 Move inline scripts and styles into separate files for SeaMonkey privileged about: pages
    • bug 973299 Port bug 969247 Remove or replace DOM_VK_ENTER and NS_VK_ENTER
    • bug 973346 L10N string “popupWarningMultiple” needs pluralization
    • Port Firefox bug 726978 Remove useless NS_New(Native)LocalFile calls in nsBrowserApp.cpp
  • Needs investigation/regression window wanted?
    • bug 956822 Local file as mail start page doesn’t show up

    • bug 973206 Unable to close a window by clicking on the red square at an item out of taskbar

Feature List, Planning

Bug statistics for the last two (full) weeks: 30 new, 10 fixed, 11 triaged.

  • Low triaging effort.

Open reviews/flags:
31 review
6 super-review
3 ui-review
7 feedback

Roundtable – Personal Status Updates

Status Updates from developers – what are you working on, what’s the progress, any other comments? (feel free to add yourself to the list if your name is missing and you have interesting status).

ewong

  • Checkin-needed:(waiting for tree to be opened.)

    • bug 665708 – Gopher links show “Launch Application” in SeaMonkey 2.1

    • bug 904338 – Empty port line when create a Blogs & Newsfeeds account
    • bug 957895 – Bug 633937 added unnecessary three strings to messages.properties. Remove them.
    • bug 958128 – Jumplists stop updating when PC is idle
  • Review:

    • bug 840427 – Migrate SeaMonkey builders to using mock

    • bug 853720 – After bug 827446, SeaMonkey doesn’t know mozcrash.
    • bug 908090 – ImportError: No module named json, on SeaMonkey Linux/Windows (all) test runs, due to (still) using Python 2.5
    • bug 922076 – Switch tests to using moz.build and manifests
    • bug 934492 – Adjust the languages preference pane to take into account Bug 910192 which removes intl.charset.default and deduces the fallback from the locale
    • bug 938673 – Add context menu to status bar padlock icon
    • bug 949884 – disable pulseaudio in SeaMonkey
    • bug 956007 – Remove front end for removed x-user-def font preferences
    • bug 967492 – Remove “Personas” from Help (Update text)
    • bug 970475 – Use unprefixed box-sizing internally
  • Working On:

    • bug 110904 – attach signature fails silently on bad paths

    • bug 507676 – Port |Bug 435804 – Remaining rdf cleanup for FilterListDialog| to SeaMonkey
    • bug 837649 – [Tracking Bug] Stop OSX 10.5 support for SeaMonkey project
    • bug 837650 – Stop support for OSX 10.5 in suite/ tree
    • bug 863747 – Add option to disable Location bar history
    • bug 918474 – Default Search dropdown doesn’t get refreshed after adding new search engine
    • bug 928632 – When the birth year is empty, SeaMonkey puts 1900 and in English language

IanN

  • Some testing, reviewing and commenting.

  • Fixed:
  • Pending check in:
  • Checked in pending review:
  • Waiting for feedback/review:
  • Fixing review comments before checkin:
    • bug 757230 When using add button for permissions in Data Manager set a displayHost

    • bug 798147 Switch to correct pref pane if pref window already open
    • bug 778534 Use image instead of html:img in instant messaging
  • Working on:
    • bug 943335 [TB] Update icons used in searchplugins (Yahoo, eBay, Wikipedia, Amazon, Bing, Twitter)

    • Various SM Council documents.
    • bug 606683 Allow customization of toolbar in Composer and MailNews Composition
    • bug 639690 [META] Re-arrange code between editor and editorOverlay
    • bug 773979 [META] Switch to new drag and drop api in SeaMonkey
    • bug 657234 Move pasteQuote and pasteNoFormatting into contentAreaContextOverlay
    • File/Folder selection in windows.
  • To Do:
    • bug 639395 Get cmd_fontSize to reflect current state of selected content / content at caret.

    • Prefs-in-a-tab.
    • Create FAQ for Friends of the Fish Tank.
    • Help get composer standalone builds working with –enable-tests.

Neil

Fixed on comm-central:

  • bug 965057 Fix zoom menu fallout from bug 691614.

Fixed on mozilla-central:

  • bug 969324 ReporterEnumerator is badly designed and unnecessary.

  • bug 966911 Possible inconsistency in DOM/AString conversion.
  • bug 972167 Copy constructing an nsAutoTArray doesn’t use its in-built buffer.

Waiting for tree to open for comm-central checkin:

  • bug 970121 URL bar isn’t decoded in some edge cases.

  • bug 562845 Port bug 546013, and also port bug 922530 and the parts of bug 909264 that bug 970121 doesn’t already fix.

Waiting for tree to open for comm-beta checkin:

  • bug 953295 Arrow keys don’t work in restore session page.

Working on:

  • bug 956657 Share more charset menu code between the view source window and the browser.

Waiting for review:

  • bug 943732 Port the new Character Encoding menu to SeaMonkey.

  • bug 948901 Character encoding menu doesn’t work correctly in the FTP directory view.
  • bug 876548 Crash in nsMsgDBService::GetOpenDBs.

Still waiting for review:

  • bug 936785 LDAP address autocomplete does not work when writing new e-mail.

  • bug 909093 Update SeaMonkey to use nsIContentPrefService2.

Also getting behind on reviews again, sorry.

Ratty

Waiting for check-in on CLOSED TREE:

  • bug 963132 Implement add to searchbar.

    • Part 1: Refactor the DOMLinkAdded event handler code in tabbrowser.

    • Part 2 Implement add to searchbar (search-engine autodiscovery).
  • See previous meeting roundtable for other CLOSED TREE items.

Fixed since the last meeting:

  • bug 920070 Add a few IDs to the File menuitems to make it easier for extensions to overlay.

  • bug 969434 comm-aurora (2.26a) is burning. Changeset 7f29ecb94e07 (Bug 952120) needs to be grafted to SEA2_25_RELBRANCH

Working on:

  • bug 973530 Add UI to access the remote debugger preferences.

Other stuff:

  • Did some reviews.

  • Bug triage and Bug discussions.
  • Usual end user support and PR in newsgroups and Mozillazine.

rsx11m

Still waiting for reviews:

  • bug 958967 Change mixed content warning default from warn_viewing_mixed to warn_mixed_display_content and remove UI for old preference.

  • bug 947972 Add checkbox to toggle https: background color in Location Bar preference pane.

Other:

  • Bug triage, testing, and commenting for SeaMonkey and MailNews Core.

  • End-user information and discussion on MozillaZine.

SeaMonkey Meeting Details

Mozilla Platform: 2014-02-18

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 12:00 am

Hot Bugs

(Important bugs for which we need to find owners or additional help. If known, please include suggested team or knowledge needed to advance the bug.)

Orange Factor
  • #1: Spike in Linux shutdown hangs around 10-Feb. Filed bug 974004 to investigate. Possibly media-related?

  • #2: bug 881413 – Windows debug crash, often during test_update.js @ TimerThread::Run(). needinfo? request pending for 2 weeks. Will likely disable test_update.js on Windows debug soon due to lack of progress.
  • B2G mochitest failures are frequently in the top 10. Have already disabled some problematic tests and will probably keep doing so until things improve.
Stability

Other

The Need To Know

(Release and system issues that may impact engineering this week.)

  • Only one beta this week (desktop & mobile) because of holiday and bug 973971

    • will gtb today, ship desktop tomorrow and mobile as soon as it’s ready
  • Back to 2 desktop betas next week

Notices/Schedule (lsblakk/bajaj)

Next Merge: March 17, 2014 Next Release: March 18, 2014
Trains
Central: 30 Aurora: 29 Beta: 28 Release: 27
55 bugs (?? bugs last week) 41 bugs (?? bugs last week)
Unresolved Aurora 29 Trackers (non-security, not tracked for Beta) Unresolved Beta 28 Trackers (non-security)

Build Changes (gps)

(Build changes of which engineers should be aware.)
<Read Only>

RelEng (catlee)

(Repo, test, and other information for engineers from the release engineering team.)

  • Re-enabling hg purge on Try this week. This should save us ~10 minutes per try build. Please keep an eye out for build failures or issues that may be due to the wrong source being checked out. bug 851270

  • Tree closure Saturday, Feb 22 ~1300-1600PT (times TBD). bug 971818
    • Try repo will be reset

Upcoming Outages/Upgrades

(System outages/upgrades and tree closures that impact engineering.)

Team Stand-ups

(In <2 mins, what did your team accomplish last week, on what is your team working on this week, and on what, if anything, is your team blocked? No questions during the stand-ups. All questions should be asked during the roundtable.)

Accessibility (dbolter)

<Read Only>

  • FF OS a11y focused team work week in Toronto next week.

DOM (jst/overholt)

  • johns working on “plugin.js” for shumway which allows for non-plugin to behave and be seen as a plugin object

  • nsm working on Service Worker registration

Firefox Desktop (gavin)

  • Desktop team kicked off a new modified scrum dev process today for everyone except people working on Australis and Firefox Accounts.

Firefox Mobile (mfinkle/blassey)

  • Super focused on converging Synthetic APKs on by default and the new sync for Fx29

  • bug 959833 pngquant images landed. Saved 100KB+
  • Another API landed bug 964447 for Firefox Hub, we should have some addons for folks to check out, soon
  • Thanks to kats for tracking down two issues with AWSY bug 971001 and bug 971694. He tracked down the cause of bug 971001 and the fix landed. Memory issue is still open
  • Eideticker pageload regressions are gone but we need to still figure out dirty start up bug 971477
  • Wesj is looking into two start up regressions. We backed out bug 964510 (delayed startup and follow ups)

Firefox OS Communications (scravag)

<Read Only>

Firefox OS Media Apps (hema)

<Read Only>

  • 1.3 blockers

  • 1.4
    • Landed Camera Control API cleanup (909542)

    • Landed Image/Video/Music file transfer via NFC (903253, 948362, 948363)
    • Started Madai Camera work with partner contributions
    • Started Ringtone user stories (Setting and Creating)

Firefox OS Telephony/WIFI/NFC (kenhkchang)

<Read Only>

  • To fix 1.3 bugs,

    • bug 963054 – [fugu][DSDS] follow-up for radio control: radio of slot 2 is not on even there’s a sim card

    • bug 960894 – Utilize one single RIL worker in DSDS
  • RTSP Client,
    • bug 971593 – [RTSP] Resource leak of HTMLMediaElement containing RTSP media resource

    • bug 945603 – [RTSP] Support Rtsp Protocol in URL Bar on b2g Browser
    • bug 949675 – Support HTTP->Rtsp Channel redirects
    • bug 951278- rtsp stops at the last 1 or 2 sec.
  • NFC,
    • bug 933588 – B2G NFC: Rewrite NFC Worker in C++.

    • bug 970241 – B2G NFC: Don’t listen to nfc.enabled settings changed event.
    • bug 970238 – NFC: System app always send NFC_HW_STATE_DISABLE_DISCOVERY to Gecko.
    • bug 960510 – B2G NFC: type, id and payload should be optional in MozNDEFRecord.
    • bug 933665 – Remove encodeNdefRecords func from NfcContentHelper.
  • LTE/JCDMA,
    • bug 881174 – B2G CDMA: support conference (3-way) call.

    • bug 960865 – B2G RIL: support dun apn type.
  • WPA-EAP, bug 917102 - Import Cert by WifiManager.
  • WIFI-Display, bug 925615 – [meta][B2G][Wifi] Support Wifi Display
  • Power metering, bug 951976 – API for Resource Statistics
  • Network metering, bug 928289 - [Network Metering] Obtain network tethering statistics.

Firefox OS Systems – Front End (gwagner)

<Read Only>

  • To fix 1.3 bugs,

    • 4 remaining bugs
  • Haida moved to 1.5 release.
  • Working on Download manager for 1.4.
    • Need a solution for Bug 946239: [Download API] System app stops getting download progress notifications when the app which started the download is killed

Firefox OS Systems – Platform (timdream)

<Read Only>

Please read our meeting note for detail.

  • 3rd-party keyboard: Patch for bug 958035 (home screen leaks); need gecko support on bug 968991 (keyboard oop/nuwa/apz)

  • Build script: app-specific build steps are all moved to apps. Next: split them into copy stage and build stage, and assumable shared script etc there. meta bug 968654.
  • Window management: bug 961800 (haida/open sheet) pending, other work WIP. meta bug 902766.
  • System refactor: working on converting everything to constructor function (~8/80 bugs landed). meta bug 912952. next: resolve dependency.
  • Setting refactor: AMD pattern (bug 964180) to be landed this week, next: file bugs on panels for conversion.
  • Lock screen: bug 960901 (lock screen instance) landed, emergency call as app (bug 960915) in review. meta bug 960381.
  • DSDS: bug 972150 WIP
  • Audio channel service: no update
  • WPA-EAP SIM: no update
  • PEAP, TLS, TTLS WPA-EAP: no update
  • Format SD Card: API proposal in discussion
  • NFC: no update

GFX (milan)

  • Big features for 1.4, with compressed timeframe.

    • Tiling on B2G.

    • Performance improvements (some in Gaia, Layout, but graphics team is triaging and driving all.)
    • Support for KitKat on an unknown device.
    • Expect less (than usual) responsive graphics team in the next four weeks.

Identity (jedp)

<Read Only>

(ckarlof) FxA and Sync

  • We need testers! Please use it and give us feedback

  • IRC: #fxa

(spenrose) FxA on FxOS tree changing rapidly:

JS (naveed)

<Read Only>

    • Compiler (JIT)

      • Removed init time of selfhosting. Not visible due to extra bug.

      • bug 929374 – Enabled Ion and TI chrome prefs. Simple patch but some annoying dependencies to get tbpl green: bug 970645, bug 832437, bug 931861.
    • Garbage Collection
      • bug 961314 – Landed, backed out upgrade of hazard analysis builds to new setup compatible with newer webrtc code. Re-fixed, pending review.
    • Front End and Other
      • bug 972657 – Moved the “script too small to compress?” check earlier. This appears to have caused 3–10% wins on Talos’s “Paint” and “Tab Animation Test” tests on Windows and Linux, surprisingly enough.

      • bug 936740 – Inline Math.ceil in the last remaining case (input is a double, output is an integer)

Layout (jet/dbaron)

No update.

Media (mreavy)

<Read Only>

  • WebRTC/Talkilla work week just ended in MV; more in next week’s update

  • Fixed bug with one-way video streams reported by TokBox bug 972097 due to mis-merge; uplifted to Aurora/Beta
  • MediaStream internal redesign underway (padenot, roc, jesup, gcp, etc). Need to deal better with clock-rate mismatches/drift and reduce delay, and should help WebAudio. bug 848954 and https://webrtc.etherpad.mozilla.org/mediastream-refactor
    • Ping padenot/jesup if you want to be involved
  • Bunch of improvements in about:webrtc and stats interface coming soon
  • Lots of WebAudio fixes have been landing recently from karlt and padenot

Necko (dougt/jduell)

  • We have turned on TCP Keepalive to help detect wedged connections

    • for first minute we ping every 10 seconds, then taper off to every 10 minutes.

Performance (vladan)

<Read Only>

Blog posts:

Seceng (mmc)

<Read Only>

  • TLS False Start, a performance optimization for TLS connections, is now enabled in Firefox 28 Beta and later. This optimization is only enabled for sites that use non-RC4 TLS_ECDHE_*/TLS_DHE_* cipher suites and which support the NPN extension. This includes Twitter, Google, and CloudFlare-hosted servers. There is some compatibility risk to this feature, though we believe we have mitigated all of it with the aforementioned restrictions. Please report any compatibility issues in the “Core :: Security: PSM” component ASAP. bug 942729

  • insanity::pkix, the new certificate verification library replacing NSS’s certificate verification, landed, pref’d-off (security.use_insanity_verification=false). It is expected to be enabled in a couple of weeks, after OCSP support is added and more testing is done. This was also uplifted to Aurora 29 to make it easier for Certificate Authorities to test it one release before it is enabled. If you don’t care about your own HTTPS security and you play with this, please report any issues, particularly compatibility issues, in the “Core :: Security: PSM” component ASAP. bug 878932
  • New certificate verification logic for signed packaged apps, based on insanity::pkix, landed in Nightly 30 and will probably be uplifted to Aurora 29 later this week. This enables (will enable, after some non-cert-related issues are resolved) packaged apps from Mozilla Marketplace to be installed in Desktop Firefox. bug 896620
  • Some cases where we were doing unnecessary OCSP fetching, potentially causing main-thread I/O and other badness, were fixed for Firefox 28 and later. You shouldn’t notice anything with these changes, but Firefox is getting faster in this respect. bug 950129, bug 950240.

Shumway (jet)

<Read Only>

  • Flash Player “globals” implementation completed

https://github.com/mozilla/shumway/pull/1135

WebAPI (overholt)

  • baku landed console API in workers (bug 620935)

  • work continues porting DataStore API from JS to C++
    • in the meantime, Gene Lian is writing a C++ wrapper for the current JS implementation
  • bent is very close to landing PBackground (bug 956218)
    • janv is porting QuotaManager (and improving its API) to PBackground (bug 961049)
  • ehsan working on image resizing API
  • earlier today Harald re-iterated partner requests for some sort of keychain-like functionality on Firefox OS
  • Marcos closing in on final manifest spec issues: http://w3c.github.io/manifest/

Quality Programs

(An opportunity to hear about status with the various quality programs that do not have a formal team structure.)

CritSmash (dbolter)

  • Additional fuzzing is working well to uncover more issues. Tending/fixing them is appreciated.

  • Mitigation: David Major fixed bug 860254 – Poison memory on free for all small allocations

MemShrink (njn)

  • Michael Wu implemented VolatileBuffer, a new class that lets us use volatile memory on OSes that support it, e.g. ashmem on Android.

OrangeFactor (ryanvm)

  • Past week’s OrangeFactor: 6.57 (Previous Week: 12.02).

  • Have begun disabling more tests/suites that haven’t had any visible progress towards being fixed.
  • Recent spike in Linux test timeouts was traced to a recent change in the slaves being used on our AWS instances. Change was reverted and reason for increased timeouts is being investigated.
  • 19 intermittent failures fixed in the last week – List – Thanks!.

Stability (kairo/bsmedberg)

  • memory poisoning on free() landed in Saturday’s nightly.

    • We will continue to make improvements to the poisoning system, such as using the reserved memory address.

    • Encouragement to poison more things including poison on GC and JITcode buffers on free
  • Overall data looks OK for anything other than Firefox desktop Nightly and Beta channels.
    • Nightly:

      • bug 973207 (HTTP connection) was high-volume but should be fixed in today’s nightly.

      • bug 973971 is a Mac-specific crash with Zimbra and other websites, should be fixed for tomorrow’s nightly.
    • Beta:
      • bug 973344 is a crash in nsTextEditorState::SetValue with botched disabling of <input type=number> that caused crash rates to double, should be fixed for this week’s beta.
  • On a positive note, Firefox 28 Beta for Android is looking *really* good in crash rates, probably largely due to some GFX refactoring in that version.

Roundtable

(Comments and questions that arise during the course of the meeting or otherwise do not have a section.)

<Read only beyond this point>

Friends of the Tree

There were great changes by volunteers in Core and Toolkit during the past week. Thanks to all of these contributors for their passion and hard work, and say hi to new contributors Maks Naumov, and Anuj Agarwal! Here are some highlights:

Mailing List Threads

(Threads that are likely to be of interest to engineering from various mailing lists.)

Good Reads

(Links to blog posts, books, videos, etc. that you think will be of interest to others.)

irc #planning Log From This Meeting

13:54 davidb: lmandel: I don't think I can join the dev meeting live, I have readonly updates for a11y and CritSmash (you can call out the latter if you like)
13:54 davidb: also, hi
13:57 elan: lmandel: dbl booked with a android sync ui pow wow but blassey has it covered as usual
13:57 elan: (I just won't see your smiling faces)
14:01 KaiRo: bsmedberg: do you want to voice your pieces of the stability update?
14:01 KaiRo has something to say as well there today
14:01 bsmedberg: yeah, kinda mixes with davidb's update
14:01 KaiRo: bsmedberg: ok
14:01 KaiRo: cpeterso_: so, we have stability voice update today, first part with bsmedberg, second with me
14:02 cpeterso_: ok
14:02 davidb: bsmedberg: you can give my update or modify or whatever makes sense
14:02 davidb: (you filed that bug :) )
14:03 jesup: RyanVM: looking at the bug
14:03 catlee: RyanVM: b2g mochitests still flaky even after reverting ec2 instance types?
14:04 lmandel: davidb, elan: Thanks
14:04 davidb nods
14:05 bmoss: jesup: thanks randall
14:08 overholt: someone needs to mute
14:08 blassey: warp core: can you mute?
14:08 blassey: dougt: ^
14:08 overholt: I think they did 'cause it's better now
14:10 dougt: blassey: I DO NOT DO YOUR BIDDING
14:10 RyanVM: jesup: I see bug 853356 landed on m-c around the time the hangs started
14:10 firebot: Bug https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=853356 nor, --, 1.3 C3/1.4 S3(31jan), ayang, RESO FIXED, [B2G getUserMedia] Display camera/ microphone permission acquisition prompt
14:11 overholt: blassey, Jon Hylands
14:11 bsmedberg: blassey: rvitillo for desktop
14:11 dougt: blassey: what is that software that compresses the APK?
14:12 blassey: pngquant
14:12 overholt: excellent use of "voluntold", milan
14:12 blassey: lossy png compression
14:12 kbrosnan: questions at the end?
14:13 dveditz: who is speaking?
14:13 bmoss: milan
14:13 bsmedberg: milan, was dougt
14:13 dveditz: thx (I recognize dougt, my boss)
14:13 bmoss: ;-)
14:14 dougt: blassey: what PNGs does it reduce?
14:14 dougt: like all of the PNGs in our application?
14:14 blassey: dougt: we manually ran it on the png assets for android
14:15 jesup: jduell: concern about the impact on mobile... Can they be grouped to avoid lots of different timers firing and spinning up radios?
14:15 kbrosnan: dougt: more or less http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Preparing_images_for_upload#PNG_tips
14:16 dveditz: blassey: isn't lossy png compression "use jpg instead"?
14:16 lmandel: kbrosnan: Questions during the roundtable
14:16 RyanVM: jesup: i'm retriggering ASAN m-oth runs on m-c around the time of the regression as well to try and narrow the range a bit
14:17 laura: I can supply ponies.
14:17 blassey: dveditz: maybe..
14:17 davidb: offline ponies
14:17 dougt: overholt: we have someone working on web crypto.
14:17 jesup: RyanVM: thanks
14:17 overholt: dougt, I know
14:17 laura: davidb: that's the only kind I have
14:17 dougt: yeah, so maybe it satisfies everything they need
14:17 kbrosnan: dveditz: where lossy means choping to 8 bits png instead of using some of the larger formats
14:17 overholt: dougt, I put Richard in touch with them
14:17 overholt: yep
14:17 dougt: but I suspect it doens't
14:17 davidb: laura: the best kind
14:17 dougt: overholt: awesome.  cc' me
14:18 jduell: jesup: keepalive is handled by OS's TCP stack--if it's smart it could batch them, but I'm not sure if any do
14:18 dougt: bsmedberg: awesome.
14:18 davidb: bsmedberg++
14:18 dveditz: or not detect "attacks" so much as users stumbling across attackable situations
14:18 bsmedberg: go give dmajor your love
14:19 dveditz: (it's a very good thing!)
14:19 bsmedberg: dveditz: depends on how carefully the attack is constructed, yeah
14:19 dveditz: true, there are dumb attackers
14:19 jesup: jduell: Bummer.  Worth monitoring.  Keeping the radio active is a big power issue
14:19 jesup: blassey: ^
14:20 jduell: yeah it could be worth turning it off on mobile, at least after the 1st minute.
14:20 jesup: One TCP pinging on 10min is no prob.  If there are 100.... or more... at random intervals
14:20 jesup: Or you could make it depend on the number of sockets in this mode perhaps
14:20 blassey: interesting
14:21 kbrosnan: Linux has support in release
14:21 kbrosnan: for gstreamer-ugly
14:21 kbrosnan: though support for gstreamer 1.0 was added

Engineering Meeting Details

  • Tuesday 2014-02-1811:00 am Pacific Standard Time

  • Dial-in: conference# 98411
    • US/California/Mountain View: +1 650 903 0800, x92 Conf# 98411

    • US/California/San Francisco: +1 415 762 5700, x92 Conf# 98411
    • US/Oregon/Portland: +1 971 544 8000, x92 Conf# 98411
    • CA/Vancouver: +1 778 785 1540, x92 Conf# 98411
    • CA/Toronto: +1 416 848 3114, x92 Conf# 98411
    • UK/London: +44 (0)207 855 3000, x92 Conf# 98411
    • FR/Paris: +33 1 44 79 34 80, x92 Conf# 98411
    • US/Toll-free: +1 800 707 2533, (pin 369) Conf# 98411
  • Engineering Vidyo Room / Air Mozilla / MTV Warp Core / TOR Finch / SFO Warfield / PDX Hair of the Dog
  • join irc.mozilla.org #planning for back channel

13-February-2014

Mobile: 2014-02-12

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 12:00 am

Schedule

  • Next merge: 2014-03-17

Topics for This Week

Memory Regression
Kats tracked down two issues with AWSY (bug 971001 and bug 971694). He tracked down the cause of bug 971001 and the fix landed. Memory issue is still open.

Eideticker Performance Regressions
Pageload regressions seem to be gone. William has addressed some issues with the devices and we have pageload performance back to where it was previously. Startup regressions are still present and we need to keep looking at ways to get improve performance. Dirty startup is affected by bug 971477 and we can get that working.

Hub
Sync API landed (bug 964447), demos in progress, weekly stand-up meeting notes here: https://mobile.etherpad.mozilla.org/firefox-hub

Friends of the Mobile Team

Give a shoutout/thanks to people for helping fix and test bugs. Make sure friends also get awarded a badge. New contributors are highlighted in bold.

  • Madushan Nishantha fixed bug 948896 – Move inline scripts and styles into separate file for about:downloads (first patch!)

  • Peiyong Lin fixed bug 965023 – Use Object.freeze on exports of Home.jsm
  • Sebastian Kaspari fixed bug 946352 – Remove go button workaround in ToolbarComponent.commitEditingMode

Stand ups

Suggested format:

  • What did you do last week?

  • What are working on this week?
  • Anything blocking you?

Please keep your update to under 2 minutes!

James W. (snorp)

<Read Only>

  • Still trying to land single-context SkiaGL patch

  • Helping George with landing Skia rebase
  • bug 964826 – Menu is greyed out and unavailable while playing flash content on 4.4 KitKat
  • Interviews, reviews, etc.

JChen

Past week

  • Unwinding enabled for ANR reports

    • Full Gecko stack during hangs
  • Working on IME tests

Fixed

Working on

Randall Barker

<Read Only>

Brian Nicholson

<Read Only>

  • bug 970719 – Animate progress bar to end of the screen

  • bug 965453 – Add a submenu for bookmarks
  • bug 971413 – Clean up Reader:Remove handling
  • bug 965137 – Make session saving more reliable
  • bug 969700 – Listen only for top-level DOMTitleChanged in SessionStore.js
  • bug 968738 – Bookmarks opened from home screen are not marked as bookmarked
  • bug 944374

WesJ

<Read Only> – PulseAudio has been acting up

  • Trying to track down startup regressions

  • Updated bug 942270 for quick share context menu. I’m refactoring ActivityHandlerHelper as well as NativeWindow.contextmenu as part of this. Splitting those changes into some separate bugs.
  • Unbitrotted bug 946344 – Remove GeckoEventResponder. Waiting on one last review.
  • bug 911904 – Making HelperApps a little smarter

jdover

<Read Only>

WIP:

  • bug 960359 – Going back to hold HomeBanner design, making sure not nagging happens

  • bug 942295 – Folders (now filters!) in Home lists
  • bug 776027 – Web Activities, will be coming up with conversions to intents based on Gaia

Investigating:

  • bug 816318 – Investigating if we can hack into Froyo’s internal DownloadService so we can drop our download manager

  • bug 966491 – looks like Google Phone search has changed in KitKat, now requires “App Indexing”

LucasR

<Read Only>

Last week

  • bug 963046 – Implement image loading infrastructure for panel views

  • bug 964508 – Rename TwoLineRow members to match the latest dataset terminology
  • bug 966866 – Connected to a site which is run by ‘null/null’ certificate
  • bug 968735 – Misc tweaks in PanelsPreferenceCategory
  • bug 968878 – Misc tweaks in PanelGridView layout
  • bug 969316 – Use description column instead of url in PanelListRow
  • bug 969445 – Don’t show progress bar in about:privatebrowsing
  • bug 968170 – Trigger HomeConfig refreshes conditionally
  • bug 968172 – Avoid refreshing HomeConfig on every onLocaleReady() call
  • bug 970247 – Stub ButtonToast view
  • bug 970702 – Empty space in two line item rows when no image URL is specified
  • bug 971735 – java.util.ConcurrentModificationException: at java.util.ArrayList$ArrayListIterator.next(ArrayList.java) in removeHistoricalRecordsForPackage()
  • bug 935542 – crash in java.lang.NullPointerException: at org.mozilla.gecko.home.TopSitesPage$EditPinnedSiteListener.onSiteSelected(TopSitesPage.java)
  • bug 971745 – java.lang.IndexOutOfBoundsException: at java.util.LinkedList.get(LinkedList.java) in moveToParentFolder()
  • (In progress) bug 968188 – Pass a ‘reason’ to the Home.panels.add() and Home.panels.remove() APIs
  • (In progress) bug 966022 – Implement the notion of itemType on existing panel views (list, grid)
  • Preliminary investigation around layout simplification/optimizations (more on that soon)
  • Tons of patch reviews

Next week

  • More Hub stuff

  • Patch reviews

sola

<Read Only>

Last week

  • bug 961238 – Make an abstract ContentProvider class

  • bug 967293 – Remove duplicate logic from TopSitesPanel.onContextItemSelected()

This week

  • bug 961238 – Make an abstract ContentProvider class (patch is breaking tests)

  • bug 965361 – Show firefox watermark when you hide all panels in about:home
  • bug 970524 – Investigate use of APIv11 check before starting transactions
  • bug 959290 – Make ContentProvider for Reading List

Margaret

<Read Only>

Highlights

Fixed

Working on

mcomella

<Read Only>

Past

  • Research bug 949637 – Use LocalBroadcastManager to create more efficient and secure broadcasts

Present

  • bug 959652 – BrowserHealthRecorder.ensureEnvironment can be expensive during startup

  • Herding bug 941155 (fix talos on mobile to have pageloader tests working in regular mode and nochrome mode) along
    • bug 969725 – geckoview_example uses incorrect main.xml layout and AndroidManifest
  • bug 942283 – HomeList RSS addon
  • bug 939350 – Create Python linter wrapper

Future

esawin

<Read Only>

Fixed

  • bug 967032 – Intermittent testAdobeFlash | “Process crashed?” on tegra

  • bug 968212 – Download Manager fails to open MIDI file
  • bug 746998 – Download manager tries to open unknown file types using PDF Viewer
  • bug 968626 – crash in ft_ansi_stream_close

Working on

  • bug 611556 – zoom levels should persist within a session

  • bug 971012 – Use onConfigurationChanged for orientation changes

RNewman

<Read Only>

Highlights

  • pngquant images landed. Saved 100KB+.

  • Cranking along on Sync, the usual reviews, perf stuff, etc.

Fixed

Working on

nalexander

  • PTO this Friday

  • Finally landed fixes for the Proguard + stale .class file build issues (bug 946083).
  • Removed fennec_ids.txt from Robocop (bug 969922). Don’t refer to elements by name (like “gecko_layout”), always refer to them by id (like org.mozilla.gecko.R.gecko_layout). Bonus: compilation errors when you screw up! Super easy to refactor with an IDE.
  • Removed almost all reflection from Robocop bug 938821. Please don’t re-introduce it.
  • Work in progress on moving Robocop to mobile/android/tests/browser/robocop and simplifying Robocop’s build (bug 938659)
  • Refreshed Eclipse project patches bug 853045
    • r+ on the meat

    • new improvement: project for Robocop (this is awesome)
    • still waiting on the right approach to integration: it’s likely to look like |mach build-backend –backend=AndroidEclipseBackend|
    • blocked on several spun off mozbuild tickets bug 971265, bug 971272, bug 971525
    • if you want to guinea pig:
      • apply the patches from bug 853045

      • |mach build-backend|
      • |mach build|
      • |mach package|
      • add the 5 Eclipse projects in $OBJDIR/android_eclipse to Eclipe
      • refresh everything, clean build everything in Eclipse
      • wait for it to stop churning, which can take a while
      • enjoy code browsing and refactoring

BLassey

  • bug 923228 – GeckoScreenOrientationListener is invoked hundreds of times during page load, two eideticker runs show a 220-300ms start up win (usual caveats of noise on eideticker)

  • bug 963505 – iframes should load with low network priority, the idea is to load main content before we load ads. I don’t have data to show this is actually helping or not though.
  • working on bug 971101 build and publish geckoview example. Blocked on ant not being installed on the builders. Not sure what I want to do there.

MFinkle

<Read Only>

  • MWC prep

  • Regression hunting
  • Coffee

WebRT

<Read Only>

  • myk away in TRIBE today

  • still digging into perf regression bug 966580 and possible fixes like bug 967254
  • landed bug 934760: automatic updates (last major blocker for MVP)
  • inbound
    • bug 958358: make webapp capitalization consistent

    • bug 965324: crash in java.lang.NullPointerException: at org.mozilla.gecko.webapp.Dispatcher.onCreate(Dispatcher.java)
    • bug 967735: WebappManager throws “TypeError: aManifest.orientation.join is not a function” on non-array value
  • top priority
    • bug 889744: Cannot install packaged apps from reviewer details page on Android

    • bug 969477: Purchase of paid apps is broken due to JS error – aRequests[0].wrappedJSObject is undefined
    • bug 970061: Tapping update notification does nothing when browser not running
    • bug 970131: Takes about a minute of inactivity before Android requests installation on old device
    • bug 970209: webapp update logic in about:apps should be #ifdef MOZ_ANDROID_SYNTHAPKS
    • bug 970215: delay setting allAppsLaunchable until webapps-registry-start

Ian Barlow

<Read Only>

  • Meetings

  • Makin’ slides

Arun

  • Tabbed browsing

    • Not much done this week in terms of re-thinking ideas. Been exploring transitions & prototyping options

    • Exploring Quartz Composer as a prototyping tool to support experiments
    • Documenting transitions for inspiration here: http://www.pinterest.com/martianruler/ui-transitions/
  • Supporting Form Autofill

    • Getting feedback from UX team tomo & later in the afternoon we can focus on the feature breakdown
  • Supporting PDF.js

    • Wes, Ian & I are talking to the PDF.js team (Bill Walker, Yury, Brendal Dahl)
  • Misc bugs to focus on

    • Bug 762298 – Request: Bookmark organization and or sorting

    • Bug 663803 – Provide magnifying glass in areas of clustered links
  • Some random bugs to be filed

A-Team

<Read Only>

Feature Focus

Fx28, ships 03/18
Fx29, ships 04/29
Fx30, ships 06/10
Fx31, ships 07/22

Details

  • Wednesdays – 9:30am Pacific, 12:30pm Eastern, 16:30 UTC

  • Dial-in: conference# 99998
    • US/California/Mountain View: +1 650 903 0800, x92 Conf# 99998

    • US/California/San Francisco: +1 415 762 5700, x92 Conf# 99998
    • US/Oregon/Portland: +1 971 544 8000, x92 Conf# 99998
    • CA/Vancouver: +1 778 785 1540, x92 Conf# 99998
    • CA/Toronto: +1 416 848 3114, x92 Conf# 99998
    • UK/London: +44 (0)207 855 3000, x92 Conf# 99998
    • FR/Paris: +33 1 44 79 34 80, x92 Conf# 99998
    • US/Toll-free: +1 800 707 2533, (pin 369) Conf# 99998
  • irc.mozilla.org #mobile for backchannel
  • Mobile Vidyo Room

Firefox/Gecko Delivery Planning: 2014-02-12

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 12:00 am

Schedule & Progress onUpcoming Releases

Firefox Desktop & Platform

Current Releases

  • 27.0 is currently throttled at 10%

  • Due to bug 934509 we’re doing a non-urgent dot release (desktop only) with one or two low-risk ride alongs to ensure we unthrottle Friday with a build that is more stable
    • For those interested, this bug has started off a discussion on the stability group mailing list about how to get better at tracking stability issues when they fluctuate in and out of topcrash status but are recent regressions on a version — one goal would be to get on top of them in nightly, with less range to search for regressions

Beta (28)

  • 28.0b2 is out, now with the correct strings

  • 28.0b3 desktop gtb tomorrow
  • 28.0b4 planned for Monday even with US/Canada holiday

Aurora (29)

  • Sync and Australis are out there and nothing is (yet) blowing up on our usual feedback inputs

Firefox Mobile

Beta (28)

Aurora (29)

Nightly (30)

Developer Tools

  • Outbound

    • hacks.m.o Aurora Post is here, hilarious tweet is here

    • New AMO post coming detailing new toolbar / navbar apis in Jetpack
  • Work week in Portland next week

Feedback Summary

Desktop

We will be watching 27.0.1
Tyler and Cheng will be out for the next few weeks for MWC, please check in with Matt Grimes and Rob Rayborn for feedback.

Mobile

Nothing new this week. We will have a Beta feedback roll-up soon.


Planning Meeting Details

  • Wednesdays – 11:00am PT, 18:00 UTC

  • Mountain View Offices: Warp Core Conference Room
  • Toronto Offices: Finch Conference Room
  • irc.mozilla.org #planning for backchannel
  • (the developer meeting takes place on Tuesdays)

Video/Teleconference Details – NEW

  • 650-903-0800 or 650-215-1282 x92 Conf# 99696 (US/INTL)

  • 1-800-707-2533 (pin 369) Conf# 99696 (US)
  • Vidyo Room: ProductCoordination
  • Vidyo Guest URL

Older Posts »

Powered by WordPress