Meeting Notes Meetings notes from the Mozilla community


Thunderbird Meeting Minutes: 2010-06-22

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 11:00 pm


From MozillaWiki

last meeting | index | next meeting »

Current Release Schedules
Thunderbird 3.1 final

Thunderbird 3.0.6
June 24 (assuming no issues found).

  • Relbranch opens: June 18
  • Code freeze: TBD
  • L10n freeze: TBD
  • Builds start: TBD
  • QA with builds start: TBD
  • Beta period starts: TBD
  • Final release: TBD

Thunderbird Meeting Details :

Remember to press *1 to unmute yourself before talking!


Action Items

Friends of the Tree

Thanks to our Friends of the Tree When adding someone to this section, please get their T-Shirt size and send it to so that he can send them a shirt!

Conversion Funnel (Priority 0 side project)

  • ISPDB success rate at 34% – 45%. Top missing domains:,,,,
  • 80% retention of Funnel Cake 1 after two months. Needs to be tracked over time.
  • Next Funnel cake to be based on Tb 3.1 instead of 3.0.5

Thunderbird 3.1 (Lanikai)

Thunderbird 3.1 Final

  • Expecting to release this week, assuming no significant issues found.

Thunderbird 3.1.1

  • Will probably follow something similar to the Firefox 3.6.6 schedule, assuming we don’t need to release earlier.
  • All required gecko bug have landed in (the ones that we landed on our relbranch for 3.1).
  • Blocking bugs etc: Bug Lists

Thunderbird 3.0.x Developer Update

See Tinderbox for how to get your patches into 3.0.x

  • Thunderbird 3.0.5 Released
  • 3.0.6 probably in sync with Firefox 3.5.11
    • 3.0.6 more likely to be mainly core fixes with a few fixes to mailnews.

Security And Stability releases – where to help

Thunderbird 3.2

  • Help Wanted: Working on getting the trunk stable and significant issues fixed. See thread on tb-planning.
  • Aiming at getting trunk fixed up asap.
  • Schedule of first alpha TBD, probably mid-July.
  • WIP about our dev process look into Tb-planning for updates in the next few weeks.

QA Updates

  • working on releases.
  • we have our weekly bug triage event this thursday
  • We have a mailing-list targeted for people willing to help test releases.

Marketing Updates

  • Press update: gearing up for Tb 3.1 release, representative story Mozilla’s next Thunderbird gives Gmailers hope; wide coverage on Thunderbird 3.0.5
  • COMPUTER BILD, Germany’s largest IT pub, awarded the Audience Award “Golden Download” to Thunderbird 3 in the Internet category along with Google Earth and Skype.
  • ADU’s: 5.9MM, downloads still steady at 75k to 95k a day.
  • Submitted talk for Mozilla Summit on Global Marketing for Thunderbird
  • 3.1 story about better search, faster product and upgrade assistant.

IT update

  • Linux 64-bit COMPLETE
  • Thunderbird 3.1 rc2 major updates (from and 3.0.5)
  • Thunderbird 3.1



  1. Support Community Reboot – 2 min. intro video script – will ping rainer for next draft; met with Italian and Spanish support contributors, will try to meet with other non English support contributors e.g. German language contributors before and during Summit; submitted session for Summit
  2. SuMoMo – next: get new user registration working looks like it *was* broken again 561925 – Andrei fixed svnmerge issue, thanks!, get SuMoMo localization dashboard, bug 549407 working – will ping Andrei about this hope to get progress before Summit, – no metrics because we turned off Google Analytics but haven’t turned on replacement; revamping SuMoMo home page to have top 10 problems (and move list of Articles to another page as per SuMo) as well as final edit of SuMoMo articles before 3.1 on Thursday; will have informal session at Summit with localizers
  3. Get Satisfaction (see graphic in Support Appendix – support volume down week – 282 new topics (411), Sadness the same: 61% (62%) – GS contributors please check out our new boilerplate response page as well as GS JetPack Helper 0.3 needs hackers and contributors to use it for frequent support replies, email roland!
    • will work on ispdb and Italian support issues for 3.1 this week
    • back to basics for support and user pain – based on discussions with support contributors and staff at All Hands going to sketch out higher level use cases instead of assuming that the solution is to just put a layer on top of GS for new topic input wizard, great discussion with David Eaves about this last week – will document this on a wiki page and review on tb-planning
    • thanks to top volunteer contributors: #1 matt of Australia, #2 chris ramsden (England) #3 rsx11m of usa, #4 breaking_pitt of spain, #5 bozz (unknown country)

Lightning Updates

  • Everything fine we are on track.
  • RC3 spawn due to localization issues.
  • Lightning talk on calendar in whistler.

Status updates

See the Mozilla Status Board for status updates specific to developers.

Roundtable Highlights

  • seamonkey freezing tonight for version 3.1a2
  • 2.0.5 is being pushed today for seamonkey.
  • Talk to Mnyromyr @ the summit for Seamonkey related stuff


Mozilla Platform Meeting Minutes: 2010-06-22

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 11:00 pm


From MozillaWiki

« previous week | index | next week »

Notices / Schedule

  • Firefox 3.6.4 and 3.5.10
    • Will be released today @ 1:00 pm PST
    • Crash stats issue was likely a stuck git lock when pushing the no-throttle config, which was later cleared on the next git push, unthrottling crash processing
  • mozilla-2.0 branch, and changes in binary compatibility policies: The branch from which FF4 will be delivered will be called “mozilla-2.0“, with a Gecko version of 2.0. Along with this change, we will be moving to a narrower set of binary (native code) compatibility promises for future releases. A quick summary:
    • Between micro/maintenance releases, such as 2.0.1 to 2.0.2, our policy remains unchanged: no incompatible changes to native-code interfaces except as a last resort when predicated by a security requirement.
    • Between minor or major releases, such as 2.0.x to 2.1.x or 1.9.x to 2.0.x, native-code interface compatibility is not guaranteed, even for interfaces that were previously considered FROZEN: providers of native code components, and embedders who use native-code interfaces, will at least need to recompile. We will endeavour to provide a smooth migration strategy for cases where source compatibility is not feasible, and we will also work to ensure that extension authors which rely on native components can support at least two adjacent incompatible Gecko versions in the same package.
    • JSAPI, NSPR, NSS and other currently-linkable libraries may disappear into libxul, and extension authors should avoid linking against them. XPCOM and interfaces expressed in XPCOM will continue to be available, subject to the above; specific interfaces may change between minor or major versions, including changes in semantics as well as implementation details.
    • Scripted interface compatibility with the platform will be maintained aggressively, though we recommend that, for Firefox 4 and beyond, extension authors use the Jetpack APIs where feasible. (Where not feasible, please submit a JEP!)
    • JS-ctypes is the recommended way to interface between extension JS code and custom or OS-provided native code.

Blocker Report

  • Firefox 3.6.6
  • Firefox 3.5.11

Browser / Front End

  • New popup notification system landed, Geo notifications converted to use it (bug 398776)
  • (PENDING REVIEW) Create style panel for web page inspector bug 560692
  • (PENDING REVIEW) Create DOM Panel for inspecting DOM nodes and their properties bug 561782
  • New Theme: Critical Beta 1 Bugs:
    • Drawing in titlebar on win (bug 513162)
      • base patches posted (seeking reviews from: smaug, dbaron, bz, vlad), glass desktops will work with these patches.
      • non-glass themed window frame drawing patch is coming along. (Should be posted today, might make friday freeze.)
      • “Move window via glass areas” (bug 555081|felipe) will be needed for usability if this is enabled for the beta, currently this is not blocking.
    • Bookmarks Menu Button – bug 544817
    • Tabs-on-top by default for Windows – bug 571992

If anyone can lend a hand with reviewing these, that would save Dão and other very busy reviewers some work. If these don’t get reviewed and landed by tomorrow, Mac beta 1 will ship without any UI updates, which would make everyone sad. (contact limi or shorlander if you want to help!)

GFX/Hardware Acceleration Update

Hope to turn Direct2D by default soon without regressing startup by too much (minimal for those without sufficient hardware, ~130ms? for those with)

Support for accelerated, full-screen video on linux just landed, please give it a try.

Layout Update

  • Should drop retained layers for beta1: too much risk, still probably a few days away at best
  • SVG Animation backwards seeking implemented (birtles)
  • Amazing -moz-element work (mstange)
  • Lots of editor bugfixing (ehsan)
  • Style system performance improvements (bz)

Content Update

  • Websockets landed! (wellington, smaug)
  • IndexedDB landed but bounced. Analyzing test failure in record+replay now (bent, sdwilsh)

Platform-specific Support Update



  • Initial multi-process jetpack enabling patch ready to land
    • Additional API changes are needed to provide “evalInSandbox” facilities
  • Electrolysis branch close to landing, bz finalizing reviews, jduell working on merge conflicts, jmaher revising mochitest patch based on comments from smaug

Startup Performance



Tree Management


  • mozilla-2.0 & binary compat [shaver]


Mozilla Project Meeting Minutes: 2010-06-21

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 11:00 pm


From MozillaWiki

« previous week | index | next week »

Video for today’s meeting

<video controls=”controls”><source src=”” type=”video/ogg; codecs=”theora, vorbis””/></video>

Friends of the Tree

  • For above-and-beyond contributions to documentation on MDC:
    • Mossop (Dave Townsend) – Add-ons Manager
    • teoli – Content on new HTML5 sectioning and more
    • trevorh (Trevor Hobson) – Lots of docs for XPCOM interfaces, plus improvements to our custom templates and scripts
    • elchi3 (Florian Scholz) – Resurrected the German localization with vigor, and has done tons of general sitewide cleanup and template work

Upcoming Events

This Week

Monday, 21 June

Tuesday, 22 June

Wednesday, 23 June

Thursday, 24 June

Friday, 25 June

Next Week

Product Status Updates

Firefox 4

Firefox 3.6

  • Firefox 3.6.4
    • Build #7 (built a week ago) is available here
    • We have been holding 3.6.4 while investigating some crash-stats irregularities
    • We will be determining if we ship anyway, more info to come later today
    • Known issues / issues we are watching but aren’t blockers can be found with this query

Mobile Firefox

  • 1.1 RC1 for Maemo
    • Live today
    • Expected to be final release
  • 2.0 A1 for Maemo
    • Code freeze on Friday
  • 2.0 A1 for Android
    • Work in progress, code freeze to be announced shortly


  • Barring unforeseen complications, we plan to ship Thunderbird 3.1RC2 as 3.1 final later this week.

Older Branch Work

  • Firefox 3.5.10
    • Still tied to 3.6.4
    • No known outstanding issues
  • Firefox 3.5.11
    • Tied to 3.6.6
    • Code freeze is this Friday


The limit is 3 minutes per speaker. It’s like a lightning talk, but don’t feel that you have to have slides in order to make a presentation.





More Details
Your Title Here

Your Name Here

What are you going to talk about?

Links to slides or images you want displayed on screen

Link to where audience can find out more information

Status Updates By Team




  • Thunderbird 3.1RC2 has shipped; making preparations for 3.1 final.
  • 3.2 work beginning; current focus mostly on getting trunk in better shape




  • Turned down Talkback (bug 533614)
  • Worked through some network performance issues with Global Crossing (bug 571922)
  • Had a number of hg issues from upgrades on Friday (bug 551015)
    • l10n infrastructure was offline for a few hours Sunday (FIXED)
    • various pushlog issues (FIXED)


  • We will be moving our Amsterdam POP. Details to follow.
    • Tentative date, June 28.

Release Engineering

  • lots of people ping-ed buildduty last week asking for errant try-server builds to be canceled, or to have extra tests run on an existing build. This is excellent. Please keep it up.
    • BTW: work-around for platform specific try builds: use custom mozconfigs with exit 1 on the platforms you DON’T need. See Using_a_custom_mozconfig for details on using custom mozconfigs.
  • deployed buildbot 0.8.0 and the schedulerdb to most of our buildbot masters last week. This makes it easier for releng to manage the job queue and serve you.
  • stage cleaning policy finally adopted and implemented. See StageCleanupPolicy for more details.
  • deployed nagios checks to uncover hung buildslaves. This has led to improved turnaround times as slaves get back to doing useful work sooner.
  • disabled CentOS unit tests for mozilla-central
  • New branches this week: mozilla-2.0 (aka Firefox4.0), jaegermonkey, and also disposable project branches that can be booked out by devs for temporary project usage – more info here: DisposableProjectBranches


QA Org Highlights
  • Desktop Firefox
    • Shipped 3.7 a5
    • Hopefully 3.6.4 will go out next week, but is being held due to crash spike issues.
  • Web QA
    • AMO 5.11.1 was pushed live.The release went out very well.
  • QA Services
    • Community
      • Start planing for QMO 2.1 and 3.0

Automation & Tools

  • Managed to land Websockets support in time for Firefox 4 Beta. (Thanks to Jgriffin)
  • Have Automated Firebug tests reporting and running against trunk in staging. See the results here.
  • Talos testing for Addons has made it through reviews – bug 559929. Still waiting on scheduler changes to get to final.
  • More information here.





  • Black Hat USA 2010 July 24-29, 2010; Las Vegas, NV – We will be hosting our “traditional” Mozilla milk & cookies party on 7/28.  Look for more information shortly.
  • FISL 2010 July 21-24, 2010; Porto Alegre, Brasil – We are looking into having a Mozilla room, talks and other activities.  Follow progress on thewiki page
  • GUADEC 2010 – July 24-30, 2010; Netherlands.  We are sponsoring at the bronze level.  No Mozilla talks scheduled.
  • Open Video Conference 2010 – October 1-2, 2010; New York, NY  – Looking over sponsorship opportunities.
  • BlogHer ’10 – August 6-7, 2010 – Looking into sponsorship opportunities – we will be having a hotel suite and a presence in the GeekLab.  More details soon!
  • Maker Faire Africa – August 27-28, 2010; Nairobi, Kenya – Looking into sponsorship opportunties.
  • Renegade Craft Fair Chicago 2010 – September 11-12, 2010 – We will have a booth and be doing some innovative activities.  Check out the wiki for more details Looking into sponsorship opportunities.
  • London Add-ons Challenge (name TBC): Exploring two consumer-focused events in SF & London.

Creative Team

Community Marketing

  • Community Marketing Call: Next call is Wednesday June 23rd at 10 a.m. PST/17:00 UTC. Please send agenda items to mary at mozilla dot com.


  • Tentative Q3 goals include:
    • Merging Mobile and Desktop Firefox support sites – details
    • Extending our support to include Firefox 4 beta users – details
    • Making it easier for users to get support for crashes through a revamped about:crashes experience – details
  • Our top 5 articles have been rewritten – details
  • Established which items should be given top priority in the new knowledge base software – details
  • Live Chat hours will be extended for the Firefox 3.6.4 release




Developer Tools

  • Bespin 0.8 has been released. Many new features and much smaller embedded size.




Introducing New Hires

Foundation Updates



Mobile Electrolysis Meeting Minutes: 2010-06-16

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 1:32 pm


From MozillaWiki


Major Topics for This Week

  • Quick updates
  • Landing plan

Quick Status Updates


  • rpc/CPOW still messing up necko. I will add autodetect warnings to necko so we’ll at least have a faster diagnosis if this issue comes up again.
  • Merge to M-C hopefully happening soon–bz reviewing patch
  • still lots of bug fixes in the review pipeline: http auth, caching, app cache, suspend/resume.
  • Redirects work in progress.
  • Crowder, bz, and I making good progress on download manager design.
  • AddCookiesToRequest logic landed.


  • Bug 564535 — Permission manager. [dougt: probably do not need this!]


  • Plugin layers works fine with WindowlessX and Image NPAPI 556487 (2 weeks of testing)
  • Chrome->Content->Plugin – triple processes works with patch from bug 560630, but patch breaks windows builds


  • 16bpp landed
  • retained layers round 0 up for review
  • Oleg has patches to get web content and video working well with OpenGL ES


  • Initial work list is here
  • Please file bugs on any front-end issue

Autocomplete et. al (dolske)

No progress this week. (work in the next week or so)


  • visit uri (556400)
    • Has been run on try server, almost through reviews and ready for landing
  • remote VisitURI (516728) & (551181) : Still blocked by 556400.
    • dougt completed both tasks and waiting on review
    • blocked on a couple of bugs; satchel has been rewritten in JS
    • need a way to get message manager from components (566024)
  • set title (566738)
    • upfront refactor work we need to do
    • after this, we will stub out History::SetURITitle for e10s


  • Getting close on mochitest
    • Final issue on try: segfault while using messageManager.loadFrameScript bug 572149
    • Over the weekend began to be able to write to nsIFile objects from content – bug 572152

Addon Installation (InstallTrigger)

  • Works with patch in review, bug 550936

Mobile Meeting Minutes: 2010-06-16

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 1:32 pm


From MozillaWiki


  • Wednesdays – 9:30am Pacific, 12:30pm Eastern, 16:30 UTC
  • 650-903-0800 or 650-215-1282 x92 Conf# 8605 (US/INTL)
  • 1-800-707-2533 (pin 369) Conf# 8605 (US)
  • #mobile for backchannel


[ ]

  • 1.1 is eminent
    • RC build sign QA signoff
  • Onward to 2.0 alpha 1
    • ~ June 30

Major Topics for This Week

  • We respun 1.1 RC build after we found jemalloc is not included bug 571254


  • Fennec 1.1
    • We respun to pick up jemalloc and got a few CSS fixes too
  • Fennec 2.0
    • Primary effort right now is getting e10s functionality into mobile-browser
    • e10s Worklist has some details on the things we are doing
    • electrolysis + mobile-browser is functional, more work going on to stablize, support panning/zooming and support tests
    • We have been finding and getting fixes for numerous crashes on mozilla-central and electrolysis
    • Planning a meeting to discuss the front-end project list with Madhava (an any other concerned parties)
    • Work started on an “Understanding e10s for Add-on Developers” document

UX design




  • you can build off trunk now (yah!)
    • https doesn’t work though
    • no one should be pushing to mozilla-droid anymore
    • make sure whatever you pushed to mozilla-droid is in a bug and makes it to m-c
  • tinderbox builders should switch over to trunk later this week


  • BZ is super-reviewing e10 -> mc patch
  • figured out the crash mobile browser is seeing
    • necko rpc bug

General Platform

Geolocation Working Group



Coming together nicely. Patches should start landing soon.

Bunch of us met yesterday to discuss the user facing aspects of this. Have plan in hand for Maemo.








Release Engineering

  • Bear finishing up ndk/sdk testing on staging
  • Bear now got formal ok to do mozilla-droid->mozilla-central switchover
  • John Ford working on images, integrating mobile infrastructure more closely to desktop infrastructure.
    • what subdirectory do we want for uploads?
      • [latest-]mozilla-central-mobile-browser-maemo5-qt[-l10n]
      • [latest-]mozilla-central-maemo5-qt[-l10n]
  • Aki working on getting multi-deb repos for nightlies, splitting out multi-locale repack
  • Aki waiting for “go to beta for 1.1rc1”



  • notes:
  • goals for upcoming week (in order of priorities) :
    • look through bugzilla UNCONFIRMED/NEW bugs, Litmus Tests and maemo forums post-release
    • Complete Beta Tester Tools mock-ups, talk to Stuart on scheduling
  • Automation
    • e10s mochitests bug 567417
      • segfault while using messageManager.loadFrameScript – bug 572149
      • can write to log file from content process – bug 572152
    • Android
      • intial prototype work for reftest
      • need to finalize prototypes and check in code
      • need to get mochitest-chrome & browser-chrome working
    • browser-chrome automation
      •  :adifire has his first test patch landed, working on next patch


Firefox/Gecko Delivery Meeting Minutes: 2010-06-16

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 1:32 pm


From MozillaWiki

« previous week | index | next week »

Firefox/Gecko Delivery Meeting Details

  • Wednesdays – 11:00am Pacific, 2:00pm Eastern, 18:00 UTC
  • Mountain View Offices: Warp Core Conference Room
  • Toronto Offices: Fin du Monde Conference Room
  • 650-903-0800 or 650-215-1282 x92 Conf# 8605 (US/INTL)
  • 1-800-707-2533 (pin 369) Conf# 8605 (US)
  • #planning for backchannel
  • (the developer meeting takes place on Tuesdays)

These notes are read by people who weren’t able to attend the meeting. Please make sure to include links and context so they can be understood.

Upcoming Releases


  • actions from last week:
    • christian to work with chofmann and Socorro team to investigate crash rate spike
    • erica and mayumi to finalize comms plan with beltzner
    • QA to test with new Flash and new Silverlight
  • schedule and progress on upcoming releases
  • review highlights and notices
  • respond to questions and concerns

Action Items

Schedule & Progress

Firefox 3.5.10 / Firefox 3.6.4

  • Would like to release on Thursday, depends on the investigation of crash-stats irregularity. Shipping on Thursday is at-risk
  • Discussing the crash-stats irregularity and how it relates to our 3.6.4 release decision
  • You can use this query to see OOPP issues that are not necessarily blocking but may flare up after 3.5.4’s release:

Firefox 3.5.11 / Firefox 3.6.6

  • Tentative plan is to code freeze Thursday 2010-06-24
  • Will send out schedules later this week

Mozilla 1.9.3 Developer Preview 5

  • shipped on Monday

Fennec 1.1 RC

  • looking to release today

Jetpack SDK 0.5

  • froze yesterday, Tuesday, June 15
  • tentative RC1 today, Wednesday, June 16
  • tentative final Wednesday, June 23
  • landed additional APIs (Tabs, Request, Lifecycle, Localization, Selection), some docs canonicalization, SDK search path fixes, plus many bug fixes and minor enhancements
  • missed extension auto-detection, E10S compatibility, privilege reduction, docs restructuring, some docs canonicalization, Panel & Page Mods APIs

Firefox Sync 1.4

  • 1.4 string froze yesterday. code freeze should happen today. Pending
  • Release date moved from June 22 to June 29 to allow time for l10n.
  • Landing on trunk is happening right now as well. ETA for landing backend is June 18, ETA for landing front-end is June 23.

Firefox 4.0 beta 1

Highlights / Notices

Please add notes for issues you’d like to bring to everyone’s attention!

  • Laura and the Socorro team (and others) are doing a great job investigating crash-stats, thanks!

Questions and Concerns

Please add any questions or concerns you would like discussed at today’s meeting.

  • Support report: Bing concerns topped the list last week. They pushed a Windows update that added a Bing bar for some users or sent location bar searches to Bing.
  • QA FF4 test plan
    • qa ff4 test plan
    • focus is on testing nightlies as features land
    • we are building up a web compatibility suite
      • top web sites
      • top web apps
      • testing sites
    • developers should give QA a heads up when things land
      • when
      • test requirements
    • beta1 will be tight, need to have builds in our hands for testing on jun 22
  • Engagement
    • Survey Question on the Feedback page
      • How did you find out about the Firefox 4 beta program?
      • Someone I know told me about it
      • Twitter
      • Advertisement
      • Facebook or other social media
      • Printed news source
      • Mozilla communication
      • blog/online article or news source
    • Confirm feedback Channels
      • Test Pilot
      • Bugzilla
      • Input
      • UserVoice
      • SurveyGizmo
      • Community Channels

Press & Public Reactions

Future Releases: Planning & Co-ordination


  • action items from last week:
  • review highlights and notices
  • respond to questions and concerns

Action Items

Highlights / Notices

Questions and Concerns

Please add any questions or concerns you would like discussed at today’s meeting.

  • l10n for Firefox 4 Beta 1? branching, setup, build infra?

« Newer Posts

Powered by WordPress