Meeting Notes

26-October-2011

Mobile Meeting Minutes: 2011-10-26

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 11:00 pm

Mobile/Notes/26-Oct-2011


Details

  • Wednesdays – 9:30am Pacific, 12:30pm Eastern, 16:30 UTC

  • Dial-in: conference# 95312
    • US/International: +1 650 903 0800 x92 Conf# 95312

    • US toll free: +1 800 707 2533 (pin 369) Conf# 95312
    • Canada: +1 416 848 3114 x92 Conf# 95312
  • irc.mozilla.org #mobile for backchannel
  • vidyo: Warp Core

Schedule

Major Topics for This Week

  • Change the format of this meeting. See the post from blassey.

Application

Native Front-end

  • Native UI Update

  • Birch tree management
    • Landing m-c –> twice a week.

    • see blassey or dougt if you have questions
    • Seek reviews

Android Platform

  • We now have desktop parity random orange

    • All unstarred mobile oranges should should be treated the same as desktop

    • To get here we had to disable two test suite subsets (J1 and R2)
    • see [1]
  • bug 694499 landed on mozilla-central which allows for android builds on OSX

Stand ups

Suggested format:

  • What did you do last week?

  • What are working on this week?
  • Anything blocking you?

Snorp

Kats

  • Last week: implemented the save-as-pdf and visited-link-coloring features

  • This week: window behavior on keyboard appearing, fixing about:crashes
  • Blocking: nothing so far (the blocked bookmarks bug was stolen from me)

GBrown

Last week: startup cache (bugs 696095, 695145)

Next week: continue startup cache work; discuss enabling disk cache on mobile with Necko team

Issues: looking for a way to delete/update/install a file in the profile, how to copy a file from the APK, and how to detect recent installation? (first run)

AlexP

Last week:

This week:

  • Work on IME bugs

Chris Lord

GCP

  • Last week: DoorHanger plumbing and mockup UI

  • This week: Fixing the bugs, Popup blocking
  • Blocking: Doorhangers UX feedback for finishing UI? JavaScript plumbing soon I’m sure :)

Brian N

Sriram

Last Week:

  • Worked on basic implementation of tabs

  • Worked on newer Event management at Java side

This Week:

  • Worked on Add/Remove bookmarks

  • Fixed few bugs relating to favicons

Blockers:

  • Waiting on visual assets and designs for the browser toolbar and the tabs-tray

WesJ

  • Last week: Prompt Service

  • This week:
    • Select elements – have single and multiple select working. Working on optgroups. Need to split the patch up so we can land this stuff if we want.

    • Context menus – WIP in the bug
    • Find something near your finger for clicks
  • Blocking: Nothing

LucasR

  • Last week: initial implementation of AwesomeBar with frecency/bookmarks/history

  • Next week: work on follow up patches for AwesomeBar to implement missing bits (favicons, proper focus/keyboard behaviour, tab layout, etc)
  • Blocking: nothing so far

mbrubeck

  • Last week: command-line handler fixes for birch; meta viewport support for birch; wrapping up regression fixes for Fx9 and Fx10; interviewing.

  • Next week: meta viewport support for birch; tracking one remaining blocker for Fx10 (bug 694795); interviewing.
  • Blocking: enabling meta viewport support on birch will be blocked on viewport scaling/panning.
  • See also http://benjamin.smedbergs.us/weekly-updates.fcgi/user/mbrubeck/posts

BLassey

  • Last week: reimplement quit to shut down nicely (backed out), API for addons to add menu items, planning, clear history

  • This week: who knows

DougT

  • This week: App Updates, and sync last screen and last uri preference.

  • next week: working with patrick on landing on birch.
  • blocked: nope.

MFinkle

Fabrice

  • last week : started on add-on support

  • this week : finishing add-on support, open web apps API, JS menu and doohanger API

Madhava

  • Last week: primary UI layout, primary layout again with ICS

  • This week: working out add-ons install/management flow, to hand off to Patryk for detailed design
  • Blocked on: decision on how we can simplify sync

Ian Barlow

Patryk

  • Last week: n/a

  • This week: doorhanger detailed designs
  • Blocked on: madhava for add-ons flow

Round Table

  • startup times directions

  • handful of p1 and p2 bugs without owners (QA)
  • What are the plans around l10n and Fennec Native bug 695565 bug 697384 (QA)
  • Tracking flags were not created for the Fennec Native product do we want them? Create a bug for this and set to block bug 695027? (QA)
  • Concern about bug 696732 Rotation can cause a blank screen fx9 affected
  • Triage of non-priority set bugs – usual thursday thing?

Firefox/Gecko Delivery Meeting Minutes: 2011-10-26

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 11:00 pm

Firefox/Planning/2011-10-26


« previous week | index | next week »

Planning Meeting Details

  • Wednesdays – 11:00am PDT, 18:00 UTC

  • Mountain View Offices: Warp Core Conference Room
  • Toronto Offices: Fin du Monde Conference Room
  • irc.mozilla.org #planning for backchannel
  • (the developer meeting takes place on Tuesdays)

Video/Teleconference Details – NEW

  • 650-903-0800 or 650-215-1282 x92 Conf# 95312 (US/INTL)

  • 1-800-707-2533 (pin 369) Conf# 95312 (US)
  • Vidyo Room: Warp Core
  • Vidyo Guest URL
REMEMBER

These notes are read by people who weren’t able to attend the meeting. Please make sure to include links and context so they can be understood.

<script>if (window.showTocToggle) { var tocShowText = “show”; var tocHideText = “hide”; showTocToggle(); } </script>

Actions from Last Week

  • None!

Schedule & Progress on Upcoming Releases

Firefox Desktop

Release (3.6, 7)

Beta (8)

  • We’re two weeks from ship. (Nov 8)

    • Exposes prefs for tabs on demand (bartab-like functionality)

    • Twitter search
    • Remove the “you need to restart for your update” prompt for most users.
    • Prompt users to clean out unrequested 3rd party add-ons
    • Protect users from future unrequested 3rd party add-ons

Aurora (9)

Nightly (10)

  • Making good progress on add-ons compatible by default and silent update.

Firefox Mobile

7

8

9

Firefox Sync

Add-on Builder

  • Release today @ 2pm

  • Q4 goals on-track for completion
  • Will soon be generating a must-do bug list for the Q1 1.0public release

Add-on SDK

Release (1.2.1 -> Firefox 7, 8)

  • Our first “Jetscramble!”

    • Last Wed. immediately after this meeting a community member found a critical error with version number & AMO support

    • We quickly corrected, spun up 1.2.1RC1 and tested
    • Released 1.2.1 before the end of the day

Stabilization (1.3 -> Firefox 8, 9)

  • Spun up 1.3beta1 yesterday – please give it a test

Development (1.4 -> Firefox 9, 10)

  • Last week we updated the minVersion to 9.0 and found that we broke other folk’s usage and testing

  • Myk wrote up the situation and presented a proposal Thread Here
  • to wit: Will reset dev-tree minVersion to 7.*

Feedback Summary

Desktop

Nothing new

  • Same issues (pretty much) as last week

  • A few (hundred) people got a bad 64-bit flash update but a reinstall (of flash) fixes it.

Mobile

No updates, re-planning for native UI and ramping up support content for tablet UI.

UX & User Research

Market Insights

Platforms

Android

  • Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich released, along with SDK v14. Notable API and support changes include:

    • Support for Matroska video containers, WEBP images

    • Classes to set region for focus, auto-focus and light auto-metering, and the ability to disable the camera entirely
    • Peer-to-peer wifi connections
    • Accessibility improvements: explore-by-touch, view callbacks
    • New framework to ease creation of new spellcheckers
    • ACTION_MANAGE_NETWORK_USAGE action allows users to adjust data usage settings for apps
    • New VPN Service allows apps to build their own VPN
    • New device sensors TYPE_AMBIENT_TEMPERATURE, TYPE_RELATIVE_HUMIDITY and improvements to synthetic gravity, rotation, and linear accelerator sensors
    • Hardware acceleration for all windows is enabled by default
    • Webkit updated to version 534.40, font support for Indic, Ethiopic, Georgian and Armenian fonts
    • Browser has updated V8 engine and Android 3.0 (Honeycomb) enhancements are available for handsets, including HTML media capture, device orientation, and CSS 3D transformations

Chrome

  • Chrome v15 stable was released, along with a UI update to the Chrome web app store. The major promoted feature are UI improvements to the tab pane and better integration with the app store. In the app store, reviewers’ Google+ pages are linked to each review.

Webkit/Chromium

  • Chromium is now up to v17. Recent notable commits include:

    • detailed timing (anonymous opt-in) instrumentation for downloads

    • basic support for HTTP pipelining
    • now supports playing of videos greater than 2GB in size
    • changes to boxing/unboxing of double ints in the JIT changed, delivering a 29% speed improvement on Kraken

Opera

  • New Opera Labs alpha release

    • demonstrates “Opera Reader” support for CSS Generated Content for Paged Media — Paged Presentations module

    • HTML5 API support for getUserMedia API to allow camera input in the browser
    • Full hardware acceleration for all WebGL graphics, currently only with OpenGL, with DirectX coming in future

Amazon Silk

  • Amazon, via MarkMonitor, registered amazonsilkforandroid.com, amazonsilkformac.com, and amazonsilkforpc.com, increasing speculation that, like the Kindle app, that the Silk browser will be available for other platforms. The company is currently advertising 10 open developer positions for Amazon Silk.

Mobile

Summary below, full update here and in your inbox.

  • Nokia launched its first WP7 phones, the Nokia Lumia 800 and 710, which feature Internet Explorer 9 mobile and will be released beginning with November in 6 European countries and several countries in Asia
  • Android overpassed iOS on app downloads, but lags behind on apps/user ratio
  • Mobotap released Dolphin HD 7.0 for Android, featuring preferences, bookmarks and gestures syncing through Dolphin Connect between instances of the browser on Android
  • Opera signed partnerships with MTN, a carrier active in 21 countries in Africa, Asia and the Middle East, and Smart Communications in the Philippines
  • ARM introduced its next generation chips, the A7 family, and heterogeneous multiprocessing, a technique to balance processor performance for extended battery life
  • NFC and mobile payments are making strides, with the Singapore government engaged in developing infrastructure and Mastercard extending its contactless payment system, Pay Pass, to mobile phones

Marketing, Press & Public Reaction

Questions, Comments, FYI

  • Any word on rescheduling the major update advertisement for 3.6 users?

  • Any news about the ESR?

Actions this week

25-October-2011

Thunderbird Meeting Minutes: 2011-10-25

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 11:00 pm

Thunderbird/StatusMeetings/2011-10-25


last meeting | index | next meeting »

Thunderbird Meeting Details :

Remember to press *1 to unmute yourself before talking!

Feel free to ask questions in the meeting either by speaking up or by asking them in #maildev on IRC.

Other ways to get in touch with us can be found on our communications page

Agenda

  • Who’s taking minutes? –> rebron

  • Minute taking Schedule. Talk to Standard8 for schedule changes/additions.
  • Note: this meeting is for interactive discussion. Feel free to ask questions!

Action Items

Friends of the Tree

Thanks to our Friend of the Tree. When adding someone to this section, please get their T-Shirt size, phone number (needed for shipping!) and send it to rebron@mozilla.com so that he can send them a shirt!

  • Wsmwk is nominating aceman for his triagge work in MailNewsCore filter (and he is also working on fixing some of those).

  • mconley is nominating Paenglab for his themeing work for tabs-on-top. This guy is incredible.

Thunderbird Development

For more details, see also the driver meeting notes.

Feature Work

Account Provisioner
  • Final functional components merged

  • Providers UX needs to be implemented
OpenSearch
Test Pilot
UX Refresh

Experiments

Thunderbird Conversations
Compose in a tab
Ubuntu Unity Integration
  • The fix that I’ve wanted to push out for my EDS Contacts Integration for a few weeks has been blocked, since the Canonical folk want to fix another integration point (their side) in the same update. According to Chris Coulson, it should get pushed out today.

  • Last reminder that Blake and I will be at UDS next week, from Nov 1st until Nov 5th. We’ll be in mid-air during next week’s meeting, so likely absent.

Schedule and Progress

Thunderbird 8
Thunderbird 9
Thunderbird 10
Thunderbird 3.1.x

Extension of the week

  • SugarCRM is an extension making it easier for Thunderbird user to interact with SugarCRM. There is a pro version of this extension – which adds more possibilities.

QA Updates

  • Worked on releases

  • Maintaining bugzilla
  • We’ll have a community testing event during the 3rd week of November 2011

Marketing Updates

  • Thunderbird ADUs holding steady at 7.5MM ADUs.

  • PR update: a few articles on Thunderbird 8 beta, continued mentions with Firefox, Ubuntu, and nice Q&A article in the NY Times
  • Launched a Tb survey in US, France, and Germany last week. Getting good data and closing it up this week and will publish results shortly. Targeting same survey in Japan. Planning a regular quarterly satisfaction survey.
  • Planned Test Pilot Studies, add to the list, will be moving this over to a wiki this week. First one up will be Menu and Toolbar Usage study to be given to Daily/Earlybird users.

Infrastructure Update

  • TryServer

    • Gained reftests & crashtests

    • mozmill should now work on Win32/Linux64
    • TryChooser: Full syntax supported, with e-mails
  • SSL *.mozillamessaging.com
    • Increased capacity for the switchover to https://

Build / Release Update

  • Thunderbird 8 beta 3 released last week, beta 4 builds this week

Web Update

  • TB9 compatibility bump on schedule for Thursday

Documentation

Support

(If you support Thunderbird or write or translate documentation to help support Thunderbird, please subscribe to the tb-support-crew mailing list and briefly introduce yourself to the list)

  1. 1146 new support topics (1346 1 week ago) – Media:17-23October2011-Community_stats_for_Mozilla_Messaging.png – I believe the numbers are down due to putting in a locale specific landing page for “ask a question” rather than redirecting to Get Satisfaction for German, French, Japanese, and other locales. If you have a localized version of /ask that you want in place please contact rtanglao AT mozilla.com

  2. Thunderbird 7 Support Issues
  3. Thunderbird 8 Support Issues – Please edit and add any issues found in TB8 starting with TB8 Beta 1
  4. See this week’s Support Appendix for full Get Satisfaction metrics and other support details

Lightning Updates

Status Updates

See the Mozilla Status Board for status updates specific to developers.

Roundtable Highlights

Attendees

Mozilla Platform Meeting Minutes: 2011-10-25

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 11:00 pm

Platform/2011-10-25


« previous week | index | next week »

Platform Meeting Details

  • Tuesdays – 11:00 am Pacific

  • Warp Core Vidyo Room
  • 650-903-0800 x92 Conf# 8605 (US/INTL)
  • 1-800-707-2533 (pin 369) Conf# 8605 (US)
  • join irc.mozilla.org #planning for back channel

<script>if (window.showTocToggle) { var tocShowText = “show”; var tocHideText = “hide”; showTocToggle(); } </script>

Notices / Schedule

  • Source migration is in 2 weeks

  • If you fixed a security bug for Firefox 8 you will be contacted today about backporting to 3.6.24
    • Please backport ASAP

Firefox Development

Firefox Developer Tools

Performance

GFX

  • Update on accelerated layers for Mobile – still needed in the new model?

    • Waiting on some experimental results from pcwalton on possible simple OpenGL acceleration
  • Azure-Thebes wrapper basically working.

JS

Layout

Landed:

  • (smontagu, bug 613149) – Support HTML5 bdi element and CSS property unicode-bidi: isolate

  • (jkew, bug 671297) – Add memory reporters for textruns and associated data

In progress:

  • (dbaron, bug 627842) – Allow minimum font size based on size of frame (Mobile Readability)

  • (dholbert, bug 696253) – Add support for parsing/computing properties for CSS Flexbox
  • (tnikkel, bug 655263) – remove views from decks

Video

  • Fullscreen spec being revised (see WHATWG list); not major changes

  • Ralph Giles working on WebVTT

DOM

WebAPI

  • Lots of progress in IndexedDB. New Version API landed. DeleteDatabase is mostly done. Key-handling rewritten in preparation for arrays-as-keys.

  • Files in IndexedDB will go up for review this week. Some minor issues still outstanding.
  • Battery API is up for review.
  • Vibrator API has patch up for review though will e10s issues.

Network

  • SPDY is ready to land (pref’d off) once we have landed NPN support for NSS. This should happen soon, hopefully within the next week.

  • We are making progress on a version of the existing disk cache for mobile. Talk to Nick Hurley if you have any questions.
  • Steve Workman has been and will be focusing on DNS-related bugs and optimizations for a while.

Plugins

Mobile

  • We now have desktop parity random orange

    • All unstarred mobile oranges should should be treated the same as desktop

    • To get here we had to disable two test suite subsets (J1 and R2)
    • see [1]
  • bug 694499 landed on mozilla-central which allows for android builds on OSX
  • Native UI Update
    • Summit last week

    • Why are we doing all of this?!
      • from 75mb RSS and 35mb RSS child (some shared) –> 65mb RSS

      • startup from 6s to 200ms (awesome bar)
    • Areas of concern for platform:
      • Sqlite

        • cached queries

        • high memory usage
    • Network cache
      • doesn’t seem to be doing that it should be doing.

      • investigation needed

Accessibility

We are having a team meetup in Toronto from October 31 to November 4.

Multi-Process

Tree Management

  • Tegra testing pool is now at 130 devices (up from 80) which has had an amazing impact on android testing waittimes

  • One new twig branch up for grabs! (4 new ones created in total, 3 already reserved); see ReleaseEngineering/DisposableProjectBranches

Security

Security Reviews Scheduled for this week

Date / Time

Item
Mon Oct 24 / 10:00 PST CSS 3D Transforms & bug 505115
Wed Oct 26 / 13:00 PST Sync Push to Device
Fri Oct 28 / 10:00 PST WebGL (review and revisit work from previous WebGL SecReviews)

Calendar and Meeting details

General Meeting Details
* IRC Channel: #security
* Etherpad: https://etherpad.mozilla.org/secreview
* Dial-in Info:
** In office or soft phone: extension 92
** US/INTL: 650-903-0800 or 650-215-1282 then extension 92
** Toronto: 416-848-3114 then extension 92
** Toll-free: 800-707-2533 then password 369
** Conference num 624

Stability Report

Component crash breakdown

Another round of work on the component reports

Desktop

Trunk

  • bug 696651 – top crash on the trunk – reproducible.

  • bug 696806 – new regression on the trunk filed by Alice.
  • bug 695505 – Firefox Crash @ js::PropertyCache
  • bug 695524 – [10.7.2] crash FinderKit@0x78d87 FinderKit@0x7c438 FinderKit@0x78ec6

FF 7

  • bug 695151 – Firefox Crash [@ coreclr.dll@0xbaf32 ] (Silverlight)

  • bug 695793 – crash orangetoolbar
  • bug 696204 – crash skypeffcomponent
  • bug 696449 – crash PL_DHashTableOperate (stack overflow from nsContainerFrame::RemoveFrame)
  • bug 696457 – crash 2puabtn (Coupon Alert Toolbar)
  • bug 695041 – crash in nsHtml5Tokenizer::stateLoop due to null backing array in strBuf (longStrBuf null also)
  • bug 694974 – crash in mscorwks.dll with 100% correlation to IdVault.dll (White Sky IdVault / Comcast Constant Guard)
  • bug 694968 – crash in libvoikko-1.dll
  • bug 694966 – crash @ roboform@0x395ac1 (RoboForm 7.5.6)

Mobile

  • bug 694987 – [birch] change the buildid to be different from the nightly to distinguish it from the nightly crashes in Socorro

    • Birch branch crash is listed in the nightly top 10 crash ( mozalloc_abort moz_xmalloc libxul.so@0x23268a )
  • bug 691842 – Fennec 8.0b1 is showing no reports.
  • bug 689778Some content crashes are not getting reported at all
  • bug 689781Some content crashes will show in about:crashes but does not get sent to soccoro
  • bug 692185 – Java crashes are not showing up in App Notes for Fennec Java Crashes
  • Top Crash in Nightly (10.0):

    • bug 694964 crash [@ gfxSharedImageSurface::Open]

    • bug 696013 – Nightly crashes @ mozilla::layers::BasicShadowCanvasLayer::DestroyFrontBuffer
  • Top Crash in Release (7.0.1):

    • bug 661158 Crash on mobile SMP devices while sending PRNetAddr over IPDL [@ Pickle::ReadBytes]

    • bug 663494 – crashing occurs when trying to restart after energysaving power down; crash [@ base::CloseSuperfluousFds]
  • Tracking to check for resolution:

    • bug 622992 Fennec crash in base::CloseSuperfluousFds

      • Resolved : 2011-10-13 07:09:50 PDT
    • bug 687367 – Bionic domain name functions are not thread-safe on pre-3.0 Android
      • Resolved : 2011-10-13 07:31:06 PDT

Roundtable

  • Mobile

24-October-2011

Mozilla Project Meeting Minutes: 2011-10-24

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 11:00 pm

WeeklyUpdates/2011-10-24


« previous week | index | next week »

<script>if (window.showTocToggle) { var tocShowText = “show”; var tocHideText = “hide”; showTocToggle(); } </script>

Video for today’s meeting

<video controls=”controls”><source src=”http://videos.mozilla.org/serv/air_mozilla/monday_meetings/status-2011-10-24.ogg” type=”video/ogg; codecs=”theora, vorbis””/></video>

Friends of the Tree

Newcomer Jiten Thakkar (deLta30 on IRC) has fixed several non-trivial platform bugs in the past month. Say hi and thank you if you see him!

Upcoming Events

This Week

Monday, 24 October

Tuesday, 25 October

  • GTAC (Google Test Automation Conference) Meet & Greet Mixer

Wednesday, 26 October

Thursday, 27 October

  • Brown Bag: User Research – Findings from Q3

  • 12pm PST
  • We’ll be presenting the findings of 3 case studies that we preformed over the last quarter.

Friday, 28 October

  • Tobias Markus Final Presentation

  • 1 pm PDT
  • Intern Final Presentation – topic is TBD.

Next Week

Product Status Updates

Firefox Future (8, 9, 10)

  • Migration day is only three Tuesdays away, but I’m going to hand off this week’s update to mobile because OMGMOBILE.

Firefox Current (3.5, 3.6, 4.0 – 7.0)

  • We are doing a Firefox 3.6.24, shipping with Firefox 8

    • You might get contacted to land backported security fixes, please do so ASAP
  • Firefox 3.6 → 7+ advertised is postponed, more details coming soon

Mobile Firefox

  • Just finished a mobile work week in Toronto

  • Progress is happening quickly on the Native UI
  • We don’t have nightly updates yet, but if you want a point in time snapshot to poke at, point a QR code reader at this:

(And if you don’t have a QR code reader – go get one so that next week when we have real nightlies with updates, you can point your reader at *that* code instead)

Nightlies (without update feature) are here: http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/mobile/nightly/latest-birch-android/

Thunderbird

Is Thunderbird Pretty Yet?
(tl;dr – Not yet, but we’re working on it. :)

Drumbeat

No voice update this week

  • Your help with “Mozilla History 101?”

Speakers

The limit is 3 minutes per speaker. It’s like a lightning talk, but don’t feel that you have to have slides in order to make a presentation.

Presenter

Topic

Media

More Details
Your Name Here

What are you going to talk about?

Links to slides or images you want displayed on screen

Link to where audience can find out more information

Status Updates By Team

Firefox

Platform

Messaging

Mobile

IT

Release Engineering

QA

Test Execution
WebQA
QA Community
Automation Services

Automation & Tools

Security

Security

Security Reviews Scheduled for this week

Date / Time

Item
Mon Oct 24 / 10:00 PST CSS 3D Transforms & bug 505115
Wed Oct 26 / 13:00 PST Sync Push to Device

Calendar and Meeting details

General Meeting Details
* IRC Channel: #security
* Etherpad: https://etherpad.mozilla.org/secreview
* Dial-in Info:
** In office or soft phone: extension 92
** US/INTL: 650-903-0800 or 650-215-1282 then extension 92
** Toronto: 416-848-3114 then extension 92
** Toll-free: 800-707-2533 then password 369
** Conference num 624

Engagement

PR

Events

Creative Team

Community Marketing

Support

Metrics

Evangelism

Labs

Developer Tools

Add-ons

Webdev

L10n

Introducing New Hires

  • Amy Tsay: joining the Add-ons team, managed by Justin Scott, located in the Mountain View office.

  • Gregg Lind: joining the User Research team, managed by Jinghua Zhang, located in Minneapolis, MN.
  • Frank Lee: joining the Products team, managed by Ragavan Srinivasan, located in Vancouver, BC Canada.
  • Gregor Wagner: joining the DOM team, managed by Johnny Stenback, located in the San Francisco office.
  • Barry Munsterteiger: joining the Developer Engagement team, managed by Stormy Peters, located in San Francisco office

Introducing a New Intern

  • Santiago Hollmann, Engagement Team (and longtime rep for Mozilla in South America)

Foundation Updates

Roundtable

19-October-2011

Mobile Meeting Minutes: 2011-10-19

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 11:00 pm

Mobile/Notes/19-Oct-2011


Details

  • Wednesdays – 9:30am Pacific, 12:30pm Eastern, 16:30 UTC

  • Dial-in: conference# 95346
    • US/International: +1 650 903 0800 x92 Conf# 95346

    • US toll free: +1 800 707 2533 (pin 369) Conf# 95346
    • Canada: +1 416 848 3114 x92 Conf# 95346
  • irc.mozilla.org #mobile for backchannel
  • vidyo: WarpCore

Schedule

Next merge date is 2011-11-08

Major Topics for This Week

  • Mobile Summit in Toronto

    • Roadmap and planning for the NativeUI

    • Bug component ready and bugs being filed
    • Plan for testing and performance data collection

Application

Front-end

  • Firefox Mobile 9 (Aurora) cleanup and wind-down

    • Back out locale picker. Landed on m-c, needs to be approved for Aurora.

    • A few performance and regression fixes will likely land
  • Firefox Mobile 10 (NativeUI) is underway
    • Tasks and bugs filed

    • Bugs assigned
    • Patches landing
    • Trying to keep architecture docs up to date.

UX design

Platform Support

Android

Performance

  • Data Posting

    • numbers are currently posted on a google doc : http://goo.gl/jyVos

    • initial plans for automation are under way.
    • will be planning to work with Dev/IT to get this posted to a web page : “are we fast yet?”

Testing

QA

Test Suites

Test Automation

Release Engineering

android_tier_1

  • triaging through the android_tier_1 list at the 10:30PDT testing meeting

  • bug 693352 – add minidump_stackwalk and symbols to the android automation
  • bug 665891 – add 200 new tegras to pool: 120 tegras arrived and are installed. Working to bring them into production pool
  • bug 689937 – 3 new foopies needed to run those tegras

SUMO

Other

Firefox/Gecko Delivery Meeting Minutes: 2011-10-19

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 11:00 pm

Firefox/Planning/2011-10-19


« previous week | index | next week »

Planning Meeting Details

  • Wednesdays – 11:00am PDT, 18:00 UTC

  • Mountain View Offices: Warp Core Conference Room
  • Toronto Offices: Fin du Monde Conference Room
  • irc.mozilla.org #planning for backchannel
  • (the developer meeting takes place on Tuesdays)

Video/Teleconference Details – NEW

  • 650-903-0800 or 650-215-1282 x92 Conf# 95312 (US/INTL)

  • 1-800-707-2533 (pin 369) Conf# 95312 (US)
  • Vidyo Room: Warp Core
  • Vidyo Guest URL
REMEMBER

These notes are read by people who weren’t able to attend the meeting. Please make sure to include links and context so they can be understood.

<script>if (window.showTocToggle) { var tocShowText = “show”; var tocHideText = “hide”; showTocToggle(); } </script>

Actions from Last Week

  • Jen to come back with postmortem summary for sync issues in FF7

Schedule & Progress on Upcoming Releases

Firefox Desktop

Release (3.6, 7)

Beta (8)

  • Discussions are ongoing about removing tab re-ordering and tab to window experience.

  • Discussions are ongoing about removing support for two-finger horizontal swipe on Lion.
  • Discussions are ongoing about the efficacy of our “opt out of third party plug-ins” feature.

Aurora (9)

Nightly (10)

Firefox Mobile

Customer pain points and plans to fix

Feedback has returned to post-release levels, but ratios remain constant for top 3 customer dissatisfiers this week:

  • Support for Flash: 10% of Android Market v7 reviews request Flash; 138 votes on SUMO ask how to get flash player working; 11% of Input issues for v7 and 20% of Input issues for v8 are related to Flash. Click-to-play solution is in-progress to fix.

  • Performance: 10% of Android Market v7 reviews say Firefox Mobile is slow (start-up speed is most frequent negative comment). Native UI work is in-progress to fix.
  • Stability: 9% of Android Market v7 reviews are complaints about crashing/freezing/hangs. Native UI work is in-progress to fix.

Customer compliments on Beta features

  • Master password

  • Send performance data
  • Permissions removal

7

8

9

Firefox Sync

Sync issues – The 503 storm of 2011
  • Fuel for the fire:

    • Instant Sync:

      • Created unexpected 30-50% spike in traffic
    • Broken Server-Sent backoff
    • Poor server capacity/health for existing users
  • Firefighting:

    • Infrastructure changes

      • DB updates

      • Load balancer updates
      • Webserver tuning
    • Migration

      • Added capacity

      • Pruned stale data
      • Migrate users from overloaded servers
  • Fireproofing:

    • Better modeling for current and expected traffic on Sync features

    • Ops review and sign off on feature pages
    • Required system-review for all client behavior changes
    • Require reliability metrics and dashboard of these on all channels
    • Instill a review of changes and metrics 1 week before merging on all channels
    • Fix backoff code in Fx8
    • Re-triage of maintenance bugs for any lurking issues
    • Blog posts coming from both Ops and Engineering

Add-on Builder

  • Push today @ 2pm

  • All Q4 goals on-track – Q4 Goals
  • 1.0 launch on-track for early/mid Q1 2012

Add-on SDK

Release (1.2 -> Firefox 7, 8)

  • We released 1.2 yesterday afternoon!

  • Release notes here
  • Will be running repacker again and will move to the new repack policy of builder-only repacks for the 1.3 release if needed.
  • bug 695436 describes the change we landed yesterday, necessitating a last-minute respin, to make sure the SDK 1.2 release remains compatible with whatever changes to third-party addon installation land late in the Firefox 8 beta cycle.

Stabilization (1.3 -> Firefox 7, 8)

  • Merged development branch into stabilization branch yesterday

  • 1.3 on-track to release Nov. 29th

Development (1.4 -> Firefox 8, 9)

  • Development Branch now open for features landing in 1.4

  • Merge to Stabilization due upon 1.3 release

Feedback Summary

Desktop

Firefox 7.0.1

  • “Exc in ev handl: Error: Bad NPObject” error. Currently known causes: McAfee & VNC

  • Binding close buttons to close browser rather than close tab bug 685225
  • Hangs!

Firefox 8.0

  • A few site-specific things (Google Finance?, baidu?, k12.com)

  • Complaints from dragging tabs to bookmarks toolbar/can’t drag at all.
  • Still seeing hangs and freezing (but bug 691509 isn’t out yet)

Mobile

See mobile section above.

UX & User Research

Market Insights

Desktop

Coming back, most likely next week

Mobile

Summary below, full update here and in your inbox.

This week is mostly about Android 4.0. There is also news on Opera’s new approach for Android, a report on the Internet’s contribution to GDP, which reaches up to 6% in mature markets like Sweden, Apple missing analysts’ forecasts but coming back in Q4 and a case study on an NFC security implementation.

Android 4.0:

The browser does not have Chrome branding, but keeps the old one; its improvements include:

  • better tab viewing,

  • live previews of websites in the thumbnail open tabs list,
  • incognito mode,
  • web pages load the mobile sites as default; users can request the desktop version;
  • Save for Offline features in HTML format
  • bookmarks sync with Chrome on the desktop

Android 4.0 user-facing improvements:

  • works on phones and tablets

  • cleaner design, less boxes and squares
  • text input more responsive, spell-checker
  • improvements to speech-to-text
  • the People app integrates contacts on the phone with Google+, Twitter
  • gmail improved
  • apps can be grouped in folders
  • camera improvements; quicker to take pictures
  • new face-recognition phone unlocking mechanism
  • 3 hard-coded buttons: Back, Home and Recent apps
  • measure and control data usage feature; ability to set a warning for data limit on mobile networks
  • Android Beam: transmit information between 2 devices by “bumping” them via NFC; 3rd-party APIs available

Android 4.0 developer-facing improvements:

  • Unified UI toolkit for phones and tablets

  • New social and calendar APIs, Android Beam for NFC-based instant sharing, Wi-Fi Direct support, Bluetooth Health Device Profile support.
  • Improved notifications, lockscreen with camera and music controls, and improved app management in the launcher.
  • New graphics, camera, and media capabilities: Image and video effects, precise camera metering and face detection, new media codecs and containers.
  • Interface and input: Hardware-accelerated 2D drawing, new grid-based layout, improved soft keyboard, spell-checker API, stylus input support, and better mouse support.
  • Improved accessibility: New accessibility APIs and text-to-speech APIs for writing new engines.
  • Enhancements for enterprise: Keychain and VPN APIs for managing credentials and connections, a new administrator policy for disabling the camera.

Marketing, Press & Public Reaction

Questions, Comments, FYI

  • hg issues slowing or blocking development past few days as well as 8.0b4. We think we’re over the hump – see bug 693202 for more info.

  • (kev) updated ESR proposal – now GLUTEN FREE!!! with FEEDBACK!!! – will be posted on Friday. planning on a one-week last-call for final feedback, and some discussion is needed on mechanics as they can affect deliverables

Actions this week

18-October-2011

SeaMonkey Meeting Minutes: 2011-10-18

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 11:00 pm

SeaMonkey/StatusMeetings/2011-10-18


« last meeting | index | next meeting »

SeaMonkey Meeting Details

<script>if (window.showTocToggle) { var tocShowText = “show”; var tocHideText = “hide”; showTocToggle(); } </script>

Agenda

  • Who’s taking minutes? -> RattyAgain

  • Nominees for Friends of the Fish Tank?
    • “No Award”.

    • Please note A person or entity can’t be nominated twice in a row.

Action Items

(who needs to do what that hasn’t been recorded in a bug) We should assign people to the open items.

NEW

OPEN

  • IanN to write the “Friends of the Fish Tank” F.A.Q.

CLOSED

Release Train

  • Callek is working on getting comm-aurora and comm-beta on MXR (bug 653424).

    • Patch updated. Awaiting review. Although it looks like Corey has taken over the bug from Callek.
  • 2.5b3 shipped 14th October.
  • Target date for 2.5 is around 8th November.
  • We expect at least 1 more beta, perhaps two. The buildbot master being down (went down yesterday evening) may cause a delay or even make us miss one beta. buildbot down is bug 695278). A brief chat with IT indicates it may require a colo-trip. Unfortunately only one person really knows how to administer the machine those VM’s are on.

Extensions Compatibility Tracking

  • Addon Compatibility Listings created and maintained by InvisibleSmiley, with help from some community members like DERoss.

    • Recent changes can be found here.

    • [InvisibleSmiley:] The External Sources part is still TODO, help appreciated.
  • Enigmail provides versions for release (AMO) and all branches (Enigmail nightly page)
  • Lightning currently provides versions for the current stable release (AMO), Aurora and trunk (both FTP) and Beta (Calendar Versions page).
  • The latest Firebug is now fully compatible but still not flagged as such on AMO (which seems to depend on automatic tests being set up and run on the Firebug side, see Issue 4430)
    • [InvisibleSmiley] Use Firebug 1.9 pre-releases for 2.4 and later (maybe even earlier SM versions; haven’t checked)
  • Besides the above, we should also take a look at other add-ons that are important for our users when they switch to 2.x.
  • InvisibleSmiley still needs help updating and maintaining the FAQ Wiki page. Everybody please help update it, so it stays current. mcsmurf says he’ll help.
  • KaiRo created a SeaMonkey Features page and sub-pages for all those that are in development.
  • We need to get the Addon Compatibility page finished and better communicate how to keep Lightning and Enigmail updated since unfortunately the only versions provided on AMO are for the current stable release. People keep coming back reporting that e.g. Lightning stopped working on trunk, Aurora or Beta. But since it contains binary components, Lightning easily breaks if you don’t retrieve the matching install file yourself.
    • [InvisibleSmiley] AMO currently has a Lightning version compatible with SM Beta (1.0rc1)

We should also add some information on this to the release notes of future betas.

2.x (Last, Current, Next)

2.x Follow-ups and Issues

Moved to a separate page.

2.4

open tracking (0)
tracking requests (0)
targeted (0)
fixed (26)

  • The New 2.4 Features page has a comprehensive list of features.

  • 2.4.x had ~77,100 ADU yesterday and 2.4.1 has had ~136,100 downloads so far.
    • vs. 10,656 on 2.3, 4,986 on 2.2, 1,685 on 2.1 and 30,882 on 2.0. So, in the last two weeks, ~2.5k have migrated to 2.3 and above.

2.Next

  • We need to make sure that anything that landed on comm-beta (for TB) or mozilla-beta (for FF) which affected non-shared code and which fixed regressions will be fixed on our side, too. Please mark bugs we feel *need* to land on a particular train tracking+ or tracking? so that when I go to do a release I can be sure I don’t miss anything.

    • We also need to try harder to fix regressions ASAP. Also keep an eye on and prioritize bugs to be ported from FF/TB that land on branches (Aurora, Beta). We need to keep an eye especially on Session Restore, Sync, Tabbrowser and Address Book.

    • We have to be careful not to break code shared with Thunderbird, otherwise patches might have to be backed out of string frozen repositories.
  • Please help updating the New 2.5 Features page as we go.

Feature List, Planning

Bug statistics for last two (full) weeks: 45 new, 21 fixed, 55 triaged.

  • Good triage effort!

  • Good further triage targets could come out of looking at the component bug counts, pick yours!

Open reviews/flags:
28 review
14 super-review
0 ui-review
8 feedback

Major wanted/needed features:

Active

  • bug 606683 Allow customization of toolbar in Composer and MailNews Composition [IanN].

    • Progressing slowly, still waiting on reviews from TB side. Full customization has to go to 2.next (currently 2.6 but could be pushed back further) as it needs work on TB too which is taking a while to get reviews on, plus feedback from kaze.

    • IanN will need to poke some people about reviews not happening quickly enough.
    • IanN has done as much unpicking of Composer/Mail Compose code as possible in the dependent bugs, so will be reworking his customising patches.
  • de-RDF bug 654864 has been finished and landed on all development branches, including 2.3. Still to do:
    • Neil wanted to follow up on some listener issues

    • for the selection issue, see what the TB guys come up with in bug 669203
  • bug 477845 Build a standalone (Comm-central) Composer. [kaze]
    • kaze has done a bit of work in this bug recently. Building on Windows works. Now supports debug builds on Linux if tests are disabled (–disable-tests). Still a lot to do.

    • IanN was supposed to help get builds working with --enable-tests.
      • Will look into this once he gets his customization patches reworked.

Needing help, Unowned, Stalled

  • Kill-RDF:

    • bug 657607 Port jminta’s kill-rdf to SeaMonkey where applicable Part 2 [meta].

    • bug 657604 Remove the RDF global object. [serge]
  • bug 436794 Enable Mac OS X system address book per default and add UI.
    • SM UI needed, unowned, helpwanted.
  • bug 449728 Drag tabs between windows.
  • bug 477840 Backport KompoZer to Composer (Depends on bug 477845).
    • kaze has done a ton of work there. We still need to work out some organizational issues. At the moment there is no active interest from MoMo for bringing standalone composer into comm-central. That’s something we (KaiRo and kaze) will have to negotiate with the Thunderbird team (Standard8).
  • bug 507841 Port Bug 422814 – Make account configuration quick, easy, and more secure (autoconfig, Quick Account Setup).
  • bug 533908 SeaMonkey Mail: tabs not restored [misak].
  • bug 523274 Complete new default theme icon set.
  • bug 526210 Update the icon set for the SeaMonkey Modern Theme.
    • bug 548778 New communicator icons (based on Strata theme) for SeaMonkey. Some proposed icons got posted, we should take a look how to get that contribution into the product.

    • The rest is unowned so far.
  • bug 87098 [SeaMonkey] Delete key should delete location bar history list entry.
    • Note: Our location bar history doesn’t and can’t use autocomplete at all.
  • bug 677484 Individual SeaMonkey components are not properly handled by the Windows 7 taskbar.
  • bug 654009 Reply to list: automatically determine From: address
    • Note: The actual task here is to port bug 45715 “Reply to List” [button/(context) menu item]
  • bug 664309 Make the built-in ChatZilla display a cZ icon in SeaMonkey (now helpwanted)

Roundtable – Personal Status Updates

Status Updates from developers – what are you working on, what’s the progress, any other comments? (feel free to add yourself to the list if your name is missing and you have interesting status).

Aqualon

asrail

Callek

  • Brought much of our seamonkey releng repo’s to tip of default branch.

    • bug 694738 – Bring SeaMonkey releng code up to date with current default tips.

    • bug 668724 followup – bug 654152 broke the ability of all-locales to be read without specifying an path on web.
    • Turn on Pulse for SeaMonkey Build Network (c.f. bug 686802)
    • bug 693186 – dump_masters.py should be able to represent WithProperties better.
  • Had a conversation with a rep from Google regarding Geolocation. (Details soon)
  • Investigated possibility to get access to metrics from Telemetry so we can implement that.
  • bug 694150 – Tracking bug for build and release of SeaMonkey 2.5 Beta 3
  • bug 692481 – Tracking bug for build and release of SeaMonkey 2.5 Beta 2
  • Got Jens Hatlak (InvisibleSmiley) accepted/inducted into the SeaMonkey Council, lost the ball on making the public/official announcement I intended to though.

ewong

  • Fixed:

    • bug 654966 – File > Save As > Templates should not be active for NNTP folders.
  • Needs Review:

  • Working On:

    • bug 78357 – Account wizard doesn’t have place to enter port info

    • bug 670561 – show profile path in profile manager.
    • bug 675589 – Group all session restore menu items together.

IanN

  • Usual testing, reviewing and commenting.

  • Fixed:
    • bug 691144 Open Containing Folder should preselect the file

    • bug 694164 Fold mailABOverlay.xul into addressbook.xul
  • Waiting for review on:
    • bug 638643 Remove obsolete EditorToggleParagraphMarks from editor.js
  • Waiting for additional review on:
    • bug 680805 Share edit menus between Composer, Plain Text Editor and Messenger Compose

    • bug 688765 Move file menu from editorOverlay to editingOverlay
    • bug 690145 Move CharsetPopupMenu code from editorOverlay to editingOverlay
    • bug 694027 Move Editor toolbar buttons from editorOverlay to editingOverlay
  • Reviewed and waiting for other work before possible checkin:
    • bug 674942 Mailnews part of cookie code still gets built as MOZ_MAIL_NEWS is not configured correctly
  • Reviewed and waiting for feedback from mobile peer:
    • bug 689253 Update en-GB for Mobile 8.0 (comm-aurora)
  • Working on:
    • bug 606683 Allow customization of toolbar in Composer and MailNews Composition

    • bug 639690 [META] Re-arrange code between editor and editorOverlay
    • bug 657234 Move pasteQuote and pasteNoFormatting into contentAreaContextOverlay
    • File/Folder selection in windows.
  • To Do:
    • bug 639395 Get cmd_fontSize to reflect current state of selected content / content at caret.

    • Prefs-in-a-tab.

InvisibleSmiley

  • Fixed:

    • bug 694506 Update SeaMonkey website for 2.5 Beta 3 release

    • bug 674208 Add a Properties context menu option to open the embedded properties pane in Bookmarks Manager
    • bug 692765 Adapt Modern for restartless dictionaries support
    • bug 692392 Advanced Search misses all search fields
    • bug 693080 Change browser.search.opentabforcontextsearch pref default to true
    • bug 665678 Open Add-ons Manager, Data Manager etc. according to Link Behavior preferences (i.e. in a window if the user chose so)
    • bug 692486 Update SeaMonkey website for 2.5 Beta 2 release

KaiRo

  • Finally, I also put up SeaMonkey update snippets for linux64 updates to 2.4.1 (bug 692655) – so everyone should get up to the latest release now. I’ve been asked if I could do that for betas as well but I find this too much work to do manually. If someone can script it, that would be a way, but then, we hope that soon we’ll get the machine power to run tests and localized builds on linux64, and then we’ll be able to provide official builds with updates right away in the normal process.

  • Updated German localization for SeaMonkey and core on Aurora as well as Nightly (except the actual “toolkit” parts for the latter) to match the original.
  • Also, addressed a number of German L10n bugs on “select add-ons” UI (bug 688080, review comments), translation of “corrupt” (bug 662763), and “beinhalten” being a suboptimal word (bug 686304).
  • More work on updating EarlyBlue and LCARStrek for 2.4 versions, there’s a bit more stuff I need to check there still, though.
  • I also refactored my “KaiRo.at Mandelbrot” add-on to fit in-tab UI a bit better as well as eliminating its XULRunner app version and making it be an add-on only. The new 4.0b3 version is up on AMO and waiting for reviews.
  • As usual, my blog has more detailed status about my activities, and Mozilla Status Board Posts also tell about my next planned steps – both including my non-SeaMonkey Mozilla work as well.

mcsmurf

Misak

Fixed bug 675493 Port [bug 655550 Persisted tab attribute gets lost after restart twice] and one relevant line from [bug 644998 Session should not be restorable after "Clear Recent History"].

Mnyromyr

Working on:

  • bug 356742 [cocoa] Sheets are offscreen if opened when all windows closed (attached to hiddenwindow).

  • bug 610509 Make fullscreen mode really fullscreen.

MReimer

Neil

Ratty

Fixed:

  • bug 690701 “Save Video As…” should respect the filename set in the Content-Disposition header.

  • bug 690706 Future-proof CrashSubmit against future argument additions.
  • bug 690778 Update nsFeedSniffer.cpp (Port part of bug 589292 Add contentDisposition{Filename} properties to nsIChannel).

Other:

  • Bug triage and Bug discussions.

  • End user support and PR in newsgroups and Mozillazine.

Ricardo

sgautherie

  • Fixed MailNews Core bugs:

    • bug 690369 c-c configure.in: port bug 557824 and bug 661403. (MOZ_INSTALLER)

Stanimir

Working on:

  • bug 576402 Add small icons for Address Book toolbar to Classic theme.

Investigating:

  • bug 489067 Allow inline background color in MailNews Compose Message.

stefanh

tonymec

  • Planning: Hallowe’en Bug Event, see below.

  • Fixed:
    • bug 694740 Port Firefox bug 687754 |unread attribute set at different times during page load| part 1.
      (against my best judgment, but I have it on Higher Authority that this was neededTonymec 05:09, 18 October 2011 (PDT))

Any other business?

  • InvisibleSmiley has been voted on to the SeaMonkey Council.

  • Need to review project areas
    • IanN will put out a final draft of the project areas list this week, and then confirm that anyone who is not in the loop already has been consulted.
  • Extended Support Releases (ESR)
    • At the moment looks like that will be based off either Gecko 8 or 9 so potentially that will be either 2.5 or 2.6 for us. Assuming we have the machines, we will also have an ESR which might help move some of those still on 2.0 up to 2.5/2.6.

    • Our ESR should use the same branch as Firefox ESR so any Security and Stability “extended” fixes for Gecko will be picked up by the SeaMonkey ESR.
    • A ESR (Extended Security Release) may not be a given for us out of the gate. Callek thinks we should revisit that, separately, once it is clearer both what Gecko it will be based on, and what MoCo’s general plans for their marketing/target/ support-levels etc are.
  • We can probably start working on Geolocation. Callek hasn’t verified all the minutia there yet, but if someone wants to begin work, he can devote slightly more of my time to it.
  • Another nugzilla day.
    • Previously, IanN suggested that October would be a good time to have another bug day. The previous event, Operation Nugzilla was from May 18th to 20th (Wed to Fri).

    • Tonymec suggested the last week of October e.g. 26th to 31st or so.
    • Tonymec was to start a discussion in the sm-members list regarding the next bug day.
    • Tonymec sent two emails shortly before the meeting: one to reserve #bugday and another, a call for leaders from The Americas and Asia Pacific so we can distribute shifts in a reasonable way.
    • Tentative dates and times are 10am CEST (UTC+2) to midnight CET (UTC+1) Thu-Sun. We’ll announce this officially once these have been finalized.

Thunderbird Meeting Minutes: 2011-10-18

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 11:00 pm

Thunderbird/StatusMeetings/2011-10-18


last meeting | index | next meeting »

Thunderbird Meeting Details :

Remember to press *1 to unmute yourself before talking!

Feel free to ask questions in the meeting either by speaking up or by asking them in #maildev on IRC.

Other ways to get in touch with us can be found on our communications page

Agenda

  • Who’s taking minutes? –> gozer

  • Minute taking Schedule. Talk to Standard8 for schedule changes/additions.
  • Note: this meeting is for interactive discussion. Feel free to ask questions!

Action Items

Friends of the Tree

Thanks to our Friend of the Tree. When adding someone to this section, please get their T-Shirt size, phone number (needed for shipping!) and send it to rebron@mozilla.com so that he can send them a shirt!

  • sfhowes who has helped support Thunderbird users on Get Satisfaction with over 800 replies since joining Get Satisfaction in September – Thanks!

Thunderbird Development

For more details, see also the driver meeting notes.

Feature Work

Account Provisioner

Migration to core code almost completed.
Business development activities in the ‘last mile’.
Link to Open Search (default search engine) missing.

OpenSearch
Test Pilot

Experiments

Thunderbird Conversations
Compose in a tab
Account Summary
Ubuntu Unity Integration
  • Ubuntu Oneiric was released last Thursday! Great success!

  • Small issue with DesktopCouch is still being dealt with at Canonical. Chris Coulson has pushed out the updated version of EDS Contacts Integration that swallows the DesktopCouch errors, logs them, but doesn’t bug the user about them. Those updates should go live soon.
  • Another reminder that Blake and Mike are going to UDS on November 1st.
    • We’re going to be discussing how we can ease the pain of the rapid release cycle

    • We’re going to be discussing Lightning + EDS support
    • We’re going to be discussing future updates to the TB UI, and getting feedback on how to nicely integrate these changes into Ubuntu
    • And more!

Schedule and Progress

Thunderbird 8
  • Should be doing a b3 this week.

  • Lightning is on the developer channel on AMO.
Thunderbird 9
  • Add-on compatiblity bump: aiming for 27th/28th October.
Thunderbird 3.1.x
  • Next release will be 8th November, in sync with TB 8.

Extension of the week

  • TBtracer : Let’s you easily trace network activities. Easy to setup and you get nice logs out of it.

QA Updates

  • Releases

  • Bugzilla

Marketing Updates

  • Thunderbird ADUs now at 7.5MM, increases are coming from Germany. Top countries are Germany, US, France, Japan, Italy.

  • Lots of great press with new Ubuntu release (congratulations! Ubuntu team) and lots of Thunderbird mentions.
  • Launching user survey this week, US first and then French and German.
  • Getting swag ready for Ubuntu Summit and MozCamps.
  • Getting ready for Thunderbird 8.

Infrastructure Update

Build / Release Update

  • Thunderbird 8.0 beta 2 released

  • Thunderbird 8.0 beta 3 to be built today
  • Configuring Thunderbird builds on Firefox build infrastructure

Web Update

  • fixed number of small website bugs, start page margin, etc.

  • working on kitsune l10n code
  • compatibility bump for 8 -> 9 next week

Documentation

  • new project: Thunderbird Feature tips to be deployed on the Start page or in a tip box

  • new project: AMO info about monetizing add-ons and updating AMO to include TB in agreements and docs
  • doc sprint for updating the FLOSS Thunderbird manual on November 9 (project wiki)
  • referred Seneca tech writing students who need to write a user manual for a class project to the Firefox mobile folks (unfortunately we didn’t have a project that fit their requirements)

Support

(If you support Thunderbird or write or translate documentation to help support Thunderbird, please subscribe to the tb-support-crew mailing list and briefly introduce yourself to the list)

  1. 1346 new support topics (1687 1 week ago) – Media:10-16October2011-GS-stats-2011-10-17_1626.png

  2. Thunderbird 7 Support Issues
  3. Thunderbird 8 Support Issues – Please edit and add any issues found in TB8 starting with TB8 Beta 1
  4. See this week’s Support Appendix for full Get Satisfaction metrics and other support details
  5. I’ve written a Ruby/MongoDB script called getSolvedAnsweredLastNDays.rb to find Get Satisfaction Users who have had their Thunderbird issue resolved so Jen and I can ping them to consider helping Thunderbird out after a Thunderbird contributor has helped them

Lightning Updates

Status Updates

See the Mozilla Status Board for status updates specific to developers.

Roundtable Highlights

  • When creating a new status meeting page, please use the Template

Attendees

Mozilla Platform Meeting Minutes: 2011-10-18

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 11:00 pm

Platform/2011-10-18


« previous week | index | next week »

Platform Meeting Details

  • Tuesdays – 11:00 am Pacific

  • Warp Core Vidyo Room
  • 650-903-0800 x92 Conf# 8605 (US/INTL)
  • 1-800-707-2533 (pin 369) Conf# 8605 (US)
  • join irc.mozilla.org #planning for back channel

<script>if (window.showTocToggle) { var tocShowText = “show”; var tocHideText = “hide”; showTocToggle(); } </script>

Goals

Notices / Schedule

  • Sending the go for an updated Firefox Beta today

  • Next source migration is November 8, 2011

Firefox Development

Firefox Developer Tools

Performance

  • Update on landing responsiveness measurement code?

GFX

  • Update on accelerated layers for Mobile – still needed in the new model?

JS

Layout

  • (dbaron, bug 627842) – Mobile Readability started on-device testing

  • (jkew, bug 631479) – Graphite fonts implemented (needs code review)
  • (dholbert, bug 666041) – Flexbox patches WIP (been updating per recent-ish changes to spec); requesting review on first-pass patches within a week or two.

Video

DOM

WebAPI

  • Camera for Fennec being rewritten for Java frontend (will use built-in camera app)

  • Close to having camera backend on mac building. This is the RTC team’s code with the appropriate parts broken out. Build system issues is the main hurdle.
  • IndexedDB making progress but nothing landed yet.
  • AppCache somewhat “unknown”. It appears that we’re implementing spec correctly but people are using it wrong.

Network

Plugins

Mobile

Accessibility

  • Investigating weird Talos Regressions for ‘a11y MozAfterPaint’ on Linux x64 Mozilla-Inbound-Non-PGO

Multi-Process

Tree Management

Security

Security Reviews Scheduled for this week

Date / Time

Item
Mon Oct 17 / 10:00 PST

SPDY & bug 528288
Wed Oct 19 / 13:00 PST

bug 675822 First sync desktop status page with upload progress bar
Fri Oct 22 / 10:00 AM PST

Safe Browsing Backend

Calendar and Meeting details

General Meeting Details
* IRC Channel: #security
* Etherpad: https://etherpad.mozilla.org/secreview
* Dial-in Info:
** In office or soft phone: extension 92
** US/INTL: 650-903-0800 or 650-215-1282 then extension 92
** Toronto: 416-848-3114 then extension 92
** Toll-free: 800-707-2533 then password 369
** Conference num 624

Stability Report

New Reports

Desktop

Trunk

Desktop 7.0.1

  • bug 694966 – New Roboform regression

  • bug 694968 – crash in libvoikko-1.dll. Seems to affect Finnish users but spiked very hard
  • bug 694974 – crash in mscorwks.dll with 100% correlation to IdVault.dll (White Sky IdVault / Comcast Constant Guard) – this is different than the other crash that we had
  • bug 694624 – AVG Safe Search
  • bug 694683 – fsecure browser protection addon – not a crash, but really bad user experience since the user keeps hanging. marcia in touch with support in their company and getting a copy of the 2012 version to test again to see if the same thing is happening
  • bug 695151 – Silverlight issue
  • bug 680927 – Startup crash in mozcomp.dll with Oracle Enterprise, F5 Networks, Passlogix V-GO, IBM Tivoli Access Manager SSO – Should we try to do anything more with this bug?

Mobile

  • top issue on trunk: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=694964 crash [@ gfxSharedImageSurface::Open]

  • bug 694987 – [birch] change the buildid to be different from the nightly to distinguish it from the nightly crashes in Socorro
    • Birch branch crash is listed in the nightly top 10 crash ( mozalloc_abort moz_xmalloc libxul.so@0x23268a )
  • bug 691842 – Fennec 8.0b1 is showing no reports.
  • bug 689778Some content crashes are not getting reported at all
  • bug 689781Some content crashes will show in about:crashes but does not get sent to soccoro
  • bug 692185 – Java crashes are not showing up in App Notes for Fennec Java Crashes
  • bug 689366 : has been pushed to aurora. Thanks!
  • Top Bugs in 7:

    • bug 661158 Crash on mobile SMP devices while sending PRNetAddr over IPDL [@ Pickle::ReadBytes]

    • bug 663494 – crashing occurs when trying to restart after energysaving power down; crash [@ base::CloseSuperfluousFds]

Roundtable

Performance:

  • Update on user responsiveness for talos:

    • Ted landed his fix for the mac 10.5 issue

    • Rolling into tools staging now
    • Best case estimate (if the changes do not wobble tp5 numbers) we could start deployment in 2 weeks

GFX:

  • Update on accelerated layers for Mobile – still needed in the new model?

    • Yes

DOM:

  • DOM Bindings Update?

    • Nodelist bindings landed, landing was a bit bumpy, but it did stick

    • Working through some of the fallout, mostly relating to running with the new bindings *disabled*
    • Next step is to start working on bindings for the remaining DOM classes, of which there are many. peterv is starting to do that once he clears out some items in his backlog from getting the nodelist bindings done. Others will help as well.

Networking:

  • Status update on NPN, which is required for the SPDY landing?

Other:

  • App Cache stuff from Blizzard

    • Lots of good feedback out there based on real-world experience.

    • There are quite a few things we need to do in Firefox in the short term to fix bugs.
    • There are also quite a few things that we can do in Firefox to improve the longer-term experience.
    • Need to focus on two different use cases – caching and installable apps. They need to be handled differently with different experiences.
    • Upcoming conference on The future of offline applications where we are going to discuss it with implementers, browser vendors and standards folks.

Older Posts »

Powered by WordPress