Meeting Notes

30-March-2009

Mozilla Project Meeting Minutes: 2009-03-30

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — bsmedberg @ 11:00 pm

WeeklyUpdates/2009-03-30

From MozillaWiki

« previous week | index | next week »

Meeting Details

  • 1:00pm Pacific time (20:00 UTC until November 1, 2009)

  • Mozilla HQ, 1st floor conference table
  • +1 650 903 0800 x92 Conf# 8600 (US/International)
  • +1 416 848 3114 x92 Conf# 8600 (Canada)
  • +1 800 707 2533 (pin 369) Conf# 8600 (US Toll Free)
  • sip:weeklystatus@mozilla.com from generic SIP clients
  • http://air.mozilla.com/ to watch and listen
  • join irc.mozilla.org #staffmeeting for backchannel

note: all participants are muted automatically; if you want to talk, press *1 to un-mute yourself

WeeklyUpdate Live: You can watch the weekly meetings live at Air Mozilla


Friends of the Tree

  • Chris Cooper writes in “I’m nominating Serge Gautherie (:sgautherie) for his relentless work to improve build failure reporting in tinderbox, often in the face of very slow review turnaround.”


Development Updates


Branch work: Firefox 3.0.x / Thunderbird 2.0.0.x

  • Firefox 3.0.8

    • On Wednesday, a critical vulnerability was posted to a public vulnerability list

    • Release Drivers determined this was something we needed to fix, sooner than April 14 (the targeted release day of 3.0.8)
    • Firefox 3.0.8 because a firedrill release, taking only two fixes (for the XSLT vuln and the CanSecWest vuln)
    • We shipped on Friday afternoon, around 3:45pm officially
  • Firefox 3.0.9
    • The release formerly known as Firefox 3.0.8 has now been rebranded Firefox 3.0.9

    • Any fixes you were counting on to be released in Firefox 3.0.8 are now in Firefox 3.0.9
    • A revised schedule was posted to the wiki link above, comments appreciated
    • Aiming for April 21 release (a week later than scheduled)
  • Firefox 3.0.10
    • Proposed schedule on wiki

    • Targeting mid-May release
  • Final major update for Firefox 2.0.0.x
    • Looking at issuing a final major update for Firefox 2.0.0.20

    • Planning for shortly after 3.0.9
    • More details this week


Gecko 1.9.1

  • Beta 4 progress: Up a few bugs for JS at 37, up overall at 88 from 76.

  • At the fix rates we’re seeing now, we’re going try to make a decision in tomorrow’s development meeting on the code freeze deadline of April 6.
  • We’re in the middle of planning new features and work items for future releases. Everyone is encouraged to participate.
    • Each team has created a list and prioritized possible major work items for the next release.

    • There’s several ongoing dev.planning discussions of the work lists for each of the groups. Links to threads: Javascript, GFX, Layout, and Content.
    • For overall Platform planning, see this wiki page.
    • Next steps are to discuss the overall plan for what the next Gecko release will look like, not just features, but duration and timing.
  • Blocker Status:
    • 9 final blocker bugs left in content. (14 last time)

    • 4 GFX final blockers. (Last week: 1)
    • 11 Layout final blockers. Six have patches. (Last week: 11)
    • 3 SVG final blockers.
    • JS with 37 blockers. Looks like about 16 of those bugs require a beta vector; however, only four of the 16 have patches. (Last week: 33)
  • Triage needed. 27 noms are in the queue right now.
  • For weekly engineering meeting notes and other info see the Platform page.
  • 88 total 1.9.1 blockers (last week: 86).


Firefox 3.5

Firefox Front End Work

  • 11 blockers left, only 1 of which is complicated, 7 are just waiting to land

  • some likely UI opportunistic updates for Beta 4
    • updated privacy preferences pane bug 462041 (needs review)

    • updated clear recent history dialog bug 480169 (needs patch)
    • refactoring Places DB for performance bug 476297 (landed)
    • restoring only visible tabs first upon session restore bug 480148 (needs landing)
    • updates/fixes to PFS so plugin installers can be executed bug 435788 (fixed)
    • new tab experience – under evaluation, but requires string changes

Beta 3

  • really solid, starting to gather feedback (seems positive)

  • already > 500,000 users

Firefox 3.5 Beta 4

  • this will be the first release with the new version number

  • current schedule:
    • string freeze was Thursday at 11:59pm PDT

    • code freeze Monday April 6th – to be discussed at tomorrow’s meeting
    • release week of April 13th


TB 3


Mobile


IT

  • Special thanks Mozilla Mirrors for their help with 3.0.8 on a Friday afternoon!

  • Signed up for Skype SIP Beta program
  • Turning up Internap FCP tomorrow night.
    • Will help better utilize bandwidth links out of the San Jose datacenter

    • Will help optimize for performance (brown-outs)
    • Has been in “advise mode” over the weekend
  • Finally got the 2 10GE cross-connects linking the 16th & 14th datacenter floors together! Should see a flurry of new machines come online in the next week or so.


Release Engineering

  • Shipped Firefox 3.0.8. Big thanks to Ben and Nick for fast turn around!

  • storage backend issues bug 485123
  • More slaves for talos try (added vista and leopard slaves) bug 479522
  • MozillaTry server fixed bug 485380
  • Dave Townsend for mozilla-central and mozilla-1.9.1. Automated nightly builds coming soon. bug 445191
  • If you care about more than 60 days of history on tinderbox waterfalls please comment on this post


QA

Test Execution

  • Shipped Fx 3.0.8

  • FFTs pass against beta 3. (Windows 91%, Mac 63%, Linux 83%)

Web Dev Testing, Metrics, Accessibility, Localization, Communty

  • Community: Tomcat talked at the MAOW workshop (Mozilla Add-Ons Workshop) in Berlin. He also joined the OpenOffice Meetup in Munich.

  • WebDev – tested the Personas website redesign. Tested SUMO 1.0 and verified resolved bugs. Tested the Spread Firefox redesign, verified these bugs along with these.
  • Accessibility
    • Marco just got back from CSUN 2009.

    • The Mozilla-funded open source screen reader for Windows, NVDA, enjoyed great success at this year’s CSUN conference. The week before CSUN, all public libraries in New Zealand installed NVDA on their public access terminals so blind individuals can get speech-assisted access to their services.
    • Marco presented on what’s up in Mozilla accessibility, what we did for Firefox 3.5, what lies ahead in terms of access to the Mac, HTML 5, further ARIA ideas and other related topics.
  • Metrics – presented Security bugs code coverage analysis to the security dev team. We have identified around 30 files for further analysis based on this.

Test Development

  • Finalized Maemkit – ran tests on Windows and checked in.

  • Uploaded first batch of results for Greener Tinderbox effort.
  • Worked on Q2 Goals
  • Mikeal speaking at PyCon


Security

  • Firefox 3.0.8 fixed two Critical vulnerabilities, one of which was released publicly.

  • Mozilla sent 7 people to CanSecWest 2009 which yielded one of the two bugs fixed in 3.0.8.


Marketing/PR

General

  • Change the Web Challenge: Please get in your web apps and add-ons — check out the Social Actions blog for ideas on Firefox add-ons! Due date is April 3rd.

  • The new Spread Firefox is open for QA – please check it out!
  • Next Community Marketing call is this Wednesday, April 8th, at 10am PDT. Dial-in Info: +1.650.903.0800, followed by 92# and then 7391#. Or you can use our toll-free number: +1.800.707.2533, followed by 369# and then 7391#. For those that can’t make the call or want to participate online, join us in #marketing on irc.mozilla.org.

PR

Events

  • Open Video Conference, June 19 – 20, New York: Mozilla is now sponsoring and Chris Blizzard will be presenting. *NTEN Conference, April 26 – 28, 2009, San Francisco: They are looking for volunteers:

    • Day of Service, Sunday, April 26th: Two opportunities:

      • Strategy consults, 9 a.m. – 11 a.m.: Organizations are looking for everything from technology help to marketing and fundraising tips. Sign ups here.

      • Help install wireless networks at St. Anthony’s in SF’s Tenderloin district or on Treasure Island. Sign ups here.


Support


Metrics

  • Shipped Funnelcake07 last Thursday

  • Shipped a modified version of Firefox last week with a different installer
    • A single day test allowing users (en-US*Windows) to leave feedback when canceling out of installing Firefox

    • More than 5,000 people hit the feedback form
    • 350 responses
    • The most common comment from users?
    • Series of blog posts with published findings planned for this week
    • Eventual outcome/impact? we hope to make changes to the Firefox user experience based on these findings


Evangelism

  • No updates this week.


Labs

  • Weave 0.3 release today!

  • Weave .next planning in progress, contact us if you’d like to participate.


Developer Tools

  • Joe Walker and Kevin Dangoor are in town and will give the status update!

  • Joe Walker has been working on collaboration and will discuss his work
  • Kevin Dangoor has been working on VCS integration and will discuss his work
  • Web 2.0 Expo:
    • Giving a talk on developer tools and Bespin

    • We have an “Open” meetup after our talk, please come check it out and tool Web tools!
  • We will be releasing Thunderhead and previewing the Open Web Tools Directory
  • Bespin community is alive as usual, of note Roberto created an iPhone preview plugin


Add-ons

  • 3.1b3 compatibility up to 65% of total usage (+5%)

  • Total 3.1.* compatibility up to 84%, working to close gap on b3 compatibility
    • Starting with beta 4, 3.5.* version will be available on AMO.
  • Continuing to work on improving AMO editor throughput, currently around 700 reviews/month, goal is to double this by end of Q2 and reduce review time.
  • Meeting with MoMo this week to talk about improving AMO story for Thunderbird with better editor support and more frequent updates of recommended lists for TB.


Webdev


L10n

  • No updates, everyone’s hard at work localizing Firefox 3.5 beta 4


Foundation Updates

  • www.mozilla.org redesign continued with release and feedback on round 2 concepts. Thanks for great feedback.

    • Over the next 10 days, we’ll be working with Happy Cog on a third round design that incorporates what we’ve heard.

    • Overall planning pages related to the update of www.mozilla.org updated. These offer a good way to track what’s going on.
  • We’re now advertising Mozilla volunteer opportunities using VolunteerMatch.
    • At this stage, we’re looking for people to help w/ content, design and sysadmin on www.mozilla.org. If you know potential volunteers, send them our way.
  • The joint Mozilla / Creative Commons open education course starts this Thursday.
    • Online course modelled after the recent Mozilla Labs Design Challenge.

    • Quick summary here and here
  • We discussed systems for doing online presentation at our weekly Mozilla Education call. The short version: WebEx works now, Dimdim is coming on strong, but we need to think about how to do this using open media and no Flash.
  • Bonus post: interview w/ David Ascher about future opportunities for Mozilla in the messaging space. We’re hoping to get some conversation moving on this topic.


Roundtable


Other Business

23-March-2009

Places Meeting Minutes: 2009-03-23

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — bsmedberg @ 11:00 pm

Places/Status Meetings/2009-03-23

From MozillaWiki

« previous week | index | next week »

Places Team Meeting Details

  • Mondays at 9:00am Pacific

  • irc.mozilla.org #places


Work Priorities


QA Issues


Status updates

  • sdwilsh

    • Working on some weave-impact bugs for 1.9.1

      • bug 468307 Multiple observer events fire for addition, removal (needs review from dietrich)

      • bug 468305 nsINavBookmarksObserver has no “onBeforeRemove” callback (needs branch landing)
  • mak

    • bug 390614: fully landed on trunk, will bake for at least 24 hours before asking approval, eta is end of the week.

    • bug 484263: Smart bookmarks upgrade policy, need to discuss about what we want to do on smart bookmarks version change.
    • bug 457708: most of apis added back and tested, need to allow nested dynamic containers, eta is end of the week.
  • adw
    • Places stats sprint: got a blog (http://blog.mozilla.org/adw/), will publicize this thing today

    • Clear recent history sprint (bug 480169): strings-only patch finished for string freeze, still helping Johnathan and Alex with this
  • ddahl

    • Will be posting a blog post about places db generator later today. bug 480340

    • Cleaned up patch for 410196 bug 410196 – copy/paste historty to tag container
    • Started FK support for MozStorage js ORM bug 394732
    • Finished bug 431011 – linux key command to open places (finally!) This is checked in and built in Shiretoko.
  • dietrich

    • about:me – didn’t make string freeze, so deprioritizing for now

    • query result chunking


Documentation

  • MDC

    • the migration guide needs history api and dynamic container examples. (dietrich)

    • the design documents linked from MDC need to be written. can probably cull from the old design overview docs.
    • Documentation non-existent:
      • dynamic containers (MaK77)

        • will do as soon as they are working properly


Roundtable

  • Sprint ideas

    • Perf

    • better cut&paste (don’t remove on cut)

Mozilla Project Meeting Minutes: 2009-03-23

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — bsmedberg @ 11:00 pm

WeeklyUpdates/2009-03-23

From MozillaWiki

« previous week | index | next week »

Meeting Details

  • 1:00pm Pacific time (20:00 UTC until November 1, 2009)

  • Mozilla HQ, 1st floor conference table
  • +1 650 903 0800 x92 Conf# 8600 (US/International)
  • +1 416 848 3114 x92 Conf# 8600 (Canada)
  • +1 800 707 2533 (pin 369) Conf# 8600 (US Toll Free)
  • sip:weeklystatus@mozilla.com from generic SIP clients
  • http://air.mozilla.com/ to watch and listen
  • join irc.mozilla.org #staffmeeting for backchannel

note: all participants are muted automatically; if you want to talk, press *1 to un-mute yourself

WeeklyUpdate Live: You can watch the weekly meetings live at Air Mozilla


Friends of the Tree


Development Updates


Branch work: Firefox 3.0.x / Thunderbird 2.0.0.x

  • Thunderbird 2.0.0.21

    • Shipped last week

    • Pages on mozillamessaging.com
  • Firefox 3.0.8
    • Code froze a few hours late

    • QA is currently verifying bugs
    • On track for mid-April release
  • Firefox 3.0.9
    • Schedule forthcoming this week

    • Should have a good list of blockers later today
    • Will send email to blocker owners about targeted code freeze date


Gecko 1.9.1

  • Beta 4 progress: Down to 33 JS blockers per below. Note that several of these are actually fixed and are in the process of being marked as so.

  • Other areas are looking pretty good to wrap up blockers soon:
    • 9 final blocker bugs left in content. (14 last time)

    • 1 GFX final blockers. (Last week: 3)
    • 7 Layout final blockers. (Last week: 7)
    • 3 SVG final blockers.
    • JS with 33 blockers. (Last week: 40)
  • Triage needed. 27 noms are in the queue right now.
  • For weekly engineering meeting notes and other info see the Platform page.
  • 76 total 1.9.1 blockers (last week: 86).


Firefox 3.5

Reversioning to 3.5

  • we have reversioned!

  • any problems, please file bugs and cc Sam Sidler (:ss)

Firefox Front End Work

  • 11 blockers left, only 1 of which is complicated, several are just waiting to land

  • some possible UI opportunistic updates for Beta 4

Beta 3

  • really solid, starting to gather feedback (seems positive)

  • already > 400,000 users

Firefox 3.5 Beta 4

  • this will be the first release with the new version number

  • current schedule:
    • string freeze was Thursday at 11:59pm PDT

    • code freeze Monday April 6th
    • release week of April 13th


TB 3

  • Tb 3.0b3 schedule is up; minor modifications in the next day or two are expected.

    • As an experimental attempt to reduce crash landings/feature misses at the end of the cycle, we’ve broken the remaining time up into 5 weekly milestones.


Mobile


IT

  • Upcoming wiki upgrades (this week)

  • 14th floor data center nearing production ready (waiting on 10GE cross-connects, ETA Wednesday)


Release Engineering

  • More slaves for try talos

  • Talos and try talos won’t skip builds due to ftp scraping problems any more bug 463005, bug 457885
    • We can also now run talos on an arbitrary build. We’re trying to determine the best way to expose this ability.
  • Build slaves now reboot in a working state. bug 472517


QA

Test Execution

  • Shipped Fennec B1 on 3/17!

  • Shipped TB 2.0.0.21 on 3/18!
  • Completed major update testrun pass of 3.0 -> 3.1b3 (test environment only)
  • Running Full Functional Test (FFTs) pass against beta 3. (Windows 49%, Mac 62%, Linux 40%)

Web Dev Testing

  • Tested download.html changes

  • Lot of work on both Get Personas and Spread Firefox
  • Tested SUMO 1.0 (now 0.9.5) and 1.1 releases

Test Development

  • Released an updated (in progress) version of QAC that works with current nightlies. Check out the blazing new speed with native JSON support (yes we know the tabs are broken on some OS’s – we’re updating it next).

  • Updated Maemkit to work with the standard –enable-test release builds so that it can be moved easily to Tinderbox (among other bugs)
  • Completed refactoring of JSBridge and MozRunner to make them easier to use for embedding in other projects (and also solving some Mozmill bugs in the process)


Security

  • CanSecWest

    • Focus on mobile security with a large number of talk on the first day of the conference and mobile devices included in the Pwn2Own contest

    • Firefox fell in the Pwn2Own contest, we have received the exploit and are investigating it
    • “!exploitable”: Interesting debugger plugin available from Microsoft for researching memory exceptions to determine exploitability


Marketing/PR

General

  • Change the Web Challenge: Less than 2 weeks to go. Please get in your web apps and add-ons! Due date is April 3rd.

  • Next Community Marketing call is this Wednesday, March 25th, at 10am PDT. Dial-in Info: +1.650.903.0800, followed by 92# and then 7391#. Or you can use our toll-free number: +1.800.707.2533, followed by 369# and then 7391#. For those that can’t make the call or want to participate online, join us in #marketing on irc.mozilla.org.

PR

Events

  • Mozilla Labs Meetup, March 26, 2008, Mountain View, CA: Come meet the Labs team at 6 p.m. at Mozilla HQ.

  • Mozilla Labs Cafe, March 27, 2008, Paris, France: Come learn more about Labs!
  • MAOW, March 28, 2008, Berlin: The Mozilla Add-ons Workshop is coming to Berlin. Sessions will be mainly in German with some English. More info.
  • NTEN Conference, April 26 – 28, 2009, San Francisco: They are looking for volunteers:
    • Day of Service, Sunday, April 26th: Two opportunities:

      • Strategy consults, 9 a.m. – 11 a.m.: Organizations are looking for everything from technology help to marketing and fundraising tips. Sign ups here.

      • Help install wireless networks at St. Anthony’s in SF’s Tenderloin district or on Treasure Island. Sign ups here.


Support

  • Slight changes in SUMO milestone version numbers: rather than releasing SUMO 1.0 and then immediately releasing 1.1 the following week, we decided to renumber the releases to give the psychologically more powerful 1.0 version number more focus (and making it remain the current release for longer than just one week).

  • As a result:
    • SUMO 0.9.5 (formerly 1.0) will be released tomorrow, which will include the backend of the localization dashboard — however, the full functionality will not be included until SUMO 1.0 is released.

    • SUMO 1.0 (formerly 1.1) will be released next week, giving us a lot of usability fixes and polish based on the UX audit.


Metrics

  • Firefox Market Share — a couple blog posts from last week discussing browser market share sources and Firefox market share by country.

  • Funnelcake07 ships later this week
  • We’ll also be shipping a modified version of the Firefox installer
    • en-US*Windows only, for a single day

    • The objective is to allow users to leave feedback if they cancel out of the installer, and ultimately, to improve the user’s experience during this critical phase of their experience with Firefox.
    • We’re estimating that we should see several thousand responses
    • This is an innovative initiative that hasn’t yet been tried by many software organizations
    • Previous blog post here and here
    • Thanks to Rob Strong, Kev, Nick Thomas, and Tomcat (among many others) for making this happen


Evangelism

  • Mozilla Developer Center

    • Work is underway on some scripting to help reorganize our content to make it easier to work with.

    • Planning is underway to begin work on writing tools to automatically generate documentation for interfaces not already documented. The actual coding for this should start in early April.
    • Deki Lyons is shipping next week; we will upgrade in mid-April.


Labs


Developer Tools

  • Bespin Update

    • New code has dropped, including web worker code, a new syntax highlighter, initial VCS support, new editor modes for smart movement, quick open and more

    • Team in town this week for a big meetup
  • Other tools

    • Memory Tool


Add-ons


Webdev

  • SUMO 0.9.5 (renamed from SUMO 1.0) will go out tomorrow night.

  • Closing on Q1 projects this week: Personas, Contextual landing pages, BYOB, AUS, PFS, Prior Art, SFX


L10n

  • With changes from FF 3.1 beta 3 and FF 3.5 beta 4, there are about 145 strings to translate. Strings are frozen and localizers should start the translation ASAP. Check the l10n dashboard please.

    • Important things to remember

    • Code freeze is scheduled for Monday, April 6, 2009.
    • Bug 482229 amends the region.properties file. To the localizers, please do not check in changes until getting word from Stas and l10n-drivers about changes.
    • Bug 462041 discusses changes in the UI strings to the preferences pane.
  • We created a community@localization.bugs as a “user” to watch in Bugzilla so localizers who want to follow all possible changes that surface in bugs can do so by watching this email address.
    • The intent of this account is to bring interested localizers together with our developers who are seeking input on how to make a patch work for l10n prior to landing it.

    • If you begin to watch this account, it will follow the bugs filed to :l10n
    • And, if you file a bug and CC :l10n, this account will be notified


Foundation Updates

  • www.mozilla.org redesign project continues. Last Week:

    • had www.mozilla.org planning meeting focused on content and posted notes

    • worked on content planning and project list for contributors
    • posted more blog entries
    • The next round of designs will be posted on Wednesday. There will be a brown bag for feedback this coming Thursday at 1pm in Mountain View.
  • Frank attended the CSUN conference in Los Angeles and had a number of fruitful discussions on web accessibility with Mozilla folks and others. Thanks go to David Bolter, Mick Curran, Eitan Isaacson, Aaron Leventhal, Jamie Teh, and Marco Zehe for their help in staffing the Mozilla booth.
  • Calendar project has been added to the list of projects that people can donate to on mozilla.org
  • Pascal Finette presented an overview of the Lab’s Design Challenge course on today’s Mozilla Education call
    • We also used this call to test out the DimDim web conferencing system for use in our future courses.

    • If people have other (open source) webinar software to suggest, let us know so we can try it out.
  • Based on Kathleen Wilson’s recommendation, CA request from Certigna was approved, but postponed consideration of enabling the trust bit for code signing (bug 393166).


Roundtable


Other Business

17-March-2009

Thunderbird Meeting Minutes: 2009-03-17

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — bsmedberg @ 11:01 pm

Thunderbird/StatusMeetings/2009-03-17

From MozillaWiki

last meeting | index | next week »

Thunderbird Meeting Details :


Agenda


Action Items


New


Open


Closed


Thunderbird 3 Beta 3

  • Everyone (except component drivers) with bugs in the 3.0b3 bugs in NEW state, please do one of the following with your bugs by 23:59 Thursday, Pacific time:

    • move your bugs to the ASSIGNED state to indicate that you agree to be on the hook for doing the implementation work (and think you’ll have the time to do so)

    • re-assign to nobody@mozilla.org with a comment asking for drivers to find someone else
  • Proposed Freezes ( All dates use time of 23:59 PST )

    • Slushy String freeze date: 2009-04-24

    • Slushy Code Freeze date: 2009-04-26
    • Firm String / Code freeze date: 2009-04-28
    • l10n-mozilla-1.9.1 freeze date: 2009-04-30
    • Target Build Ship date: 2009-05-05
  • dmose is release driver

  • gozer is build engineer
  • Five weekly milestones ([m1] – [m5]) have been created to help spread out b3ux feature work across the milestone and avoid lots of hard landings / misses at the end of the cycle.

    • mail will be sent to b3ux bug owners asking them to spread those bugs across the milestones

    • [m1] is one week from today
    • Weekly checkpoint held on fridays for the upcoming m week


Thunderbird 3

  • Please set bugs to assigned status (as well as owner to you) if you want to do them.

  • If you have other bugs assigned to you that you don’t want to do, please reassign or discuss with drivers.


QA Updates

  • in-testsuite? 34 bugs without a test and with the ? flag set.

  • in-testsuite not used enough?
    • what are the criteria?

    • when is the right time to ask, and who asks?
      • Short answer is that dev knows wand we should ask them. For backend code it’s easier than when the UI is involved. Reviewer should keep an eye on it and set the flag when appropriate.

      • _Tsk_ to figure out a UnitTest workshop
      • How do we keep track on unit tests and make sure that their number goes up ?
  • Bug day


Marketing Updates

  • TB 2.0.0.21 shipping tomorrow.

  • Budgeting and planning work for the remainder of the year.
  • Evaluating proposals from GetSatisfaction. Getting about 5 to 6 new questions a day.
  • http://www.scalableogo.org/about/overview.html to be released this week.


Roundtable

Reminder: Google Summer of Code

Students start discussing ideas on 18th March, start applying on 23rd March.

Shark builds (nth10sd)

  • Firefox now builds Shark nightlies on Mac automatically for performance profiling – should we do so too?


Status Updates


davida
  • planning office move
  • trip to mountain view
  • not enough work on bugs, hope for more this week.


dmose
  • Last Week

    • Goals

      • draft 3.0b3 weekly milestone plan (done)

      • finish message-header patch (significant progress; not done)
      • 1/hr day code review (partial; not done)
      • draft SF space plan (not done)
    • Non-goal activities
      • Lots of driving

      • Got sick
  • This week

    • Goals

      • land message-header patch

      • 1 hr/day code reviews
      • draft SF space plan
      • drive weekly milestone work


nth10sd
  • Patchlove – setting old patches as obsolete if they bitrotted or r-’ed.

  • QA, bugdays, etc.


Standard8
  • Reviews

  • bug 450134 Autocomplete perf improvement now in the code.
  • bug 330320 Restart using “Collected Addresses” AB for collected addresses.
  • Started fleshing out design and UI for bug 457296 – Separating out remote image settings from the address book.
  • Started investigating hooking up the UI for the interactive status bar (bug 476487.
  • Goals for this week:

    • bug 440794 Leverage Offline capabilities to make sending email appear faster

      • Get policy implemented for auto-send (initial turned off by default).
    • bug 476487 Interactive Status Bar
      • Hook up new status bar to activity manager, get at least an initial version implemented.
    • bug 457296 Remote Images
      • Get initial design up for review.


asuth
  • extensive JS mime emitter refactoring, unit tests added

  • gloda search
  • storage support
  • and more!


bienvenu
  • Reviews and driving

  • Fixed test case and landed asuth’s view grouping fixes
  • Got picking an existing smtp server working with autoconfig.
  • Changed autoconfig to default to leave on servers w/ 14 day aging for pop3
  • Fixed offline store code not to include dummy envelope and x-mozilla-status lines, add unit test for compacting offline stores, bug 381472
  • Fixed problem where we lose tags on imap servers that claim not to support keywords but set them, bug 370440
  • Landed bug 482059 on trunk, change verifyLogon not to discover imap mailboxes so later url will discover them.
  • Worked on bug 482477, ability to hide accounts, for use with smart mailboxes

Next week’s goals

  • Continue work on autoconfig; make sure I can create all my accounts via autoconfig

  • Continue work on smart mailboxes
  • Work on other b3+ bugs


gozer
  • Build

    • Try Server support for non mozilla-central builds

      • My test setup is working, building Firefox/Thunderbird with patches

      • Front-end patches completed and up for review
      • Back-end patches (buildbot) working, need cleanup before review
    • Prototype graphing tool for buildbot builds time trending (http://xrl.us/bejh3m)
  • Web

    • New website

      • Daily hits stabilizing around 2 millions/day, looking steady now, growth seems to have stopped

      • avg of 12,712 unique daily visits to the 3.0b2 Start page in the last week
      • 57k unique visits to the 3.0b2 Start page in the last week
  • Infrastructure

    • Vancouver office moving today

    • Planning for our hardware growth
    • EC2
      • Looking into running buildbot slaves on EC2

      • I want to build a public linux mozilla RefPlatform AMI so anybody can use them
      • Would be a very nice solution for try builds
  • Auto updates to B2 blocked by Relnotes


clarkbw
  • Working with rebron to make the release notes for the B2 update.


wsmwk
  • patchlove with Gary

  • touched Eudora crashes and potentially TB related bugs
  • same stuff as previous


beckley


Penelope
  • Got symbols for Eudora 8b5 up on the Mozilla symbol server. Tested the Crash Me extension and it all works fine. Just Windows for now, Mac and Linux will be coming later.
  • Made a fix for bug 466330, but it’s unclear on what the correct behavior is. Waiting for ui-review from clarkbw.
  • Some progress on async filter actions. Sent a preliminary patch to bienvenu, and he gave some good feedback on better ways to handle callbacks.


KaiRo
  • Reviews and discussion in bug 482686 (switching client.py to pull venkman from hg)

  • Review on bug 478229 (buildbot step abstraction to share more code between buildbots for Firefox, Thunderbird, SeaMonkey, etc.)
  • Spotted mailnews compile failure with Qt port, filed as bug 482312 (trying to compile this is just a fun experiment I do from time to time)
  • Did some investigation and discussion of JS perf decreases with JS debuggers (both venkman and ChromeBug) due to currently needed early init of internal JSD debugging stuff, solutions are being worked on now.
  • Prepared for SeaMonkey 1.1.15 release in parallel to Thunderbird 2.0.0.21


rkent


rebron


Tsk
  • Done :

    • Worked on QA plan

    • Gave love to bugzilla
  • Continuing:

    • QA plan

    • Engaging communities
  • Todo:

    • Try to communicate more effectively

    • explain what and why QA is important – to try to get w few more people onboard
    • Plan tb3.0b3 testing


andreasn
  • Became familiar with DOM inspector. Learned how and where to change things.

  • Created a overlay on what needed fixing and discussed the needed changes with clarkbw.
  • discussions with Tango designers (lapo, monreal, sgarrity)
  • Done:

    • Preference window icons

    • Firefox spinner
    • Delete button
  • In progress:

    • Folder pane: bug 483759

    • Message overview pane: bug 483761
    • Compose window: bug 483777
    • New icon concept for contact starring: in progress
    • Icon overlay concept: in progress
  • Todo:

    • Message pane

    • Tab appearance
    • Address book


Attendees

Mozilla Platform Meeting Minutes: 2009-03-17

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — bsmedberg @ 11:00 pm

Platform/2009-03-17

From MozillaWiki

« previous week | index | next week »


Notices / Schedule

Firefox 3.0.8

  • Code freeze is today at 11:59pm

  • Many people not working on their blockers; we’ve had to push quite a few
  • How can we communicate better on code freeze dates?

Thunderbird 2.0.0.21

  • On track to ship on March 18

  • Fixes on par with Firefox 3.0.7

Firefox 3.1 Beta 3

  • released, showing 320k users (120k left on 3.1b2)

Firefox 3.5 Beta 4

  • string freeze: Thursday, March 19th at 23:59 PDT

  • code freeze: Monday, April 6th
  • QA start: Wednesday, April 8th
  • release: week of April 13th

Renumbering to 3.5

  • Shiretoko (mozilla-1.9.1 branch) nightlies have been renumbered to 3.5b4pre

  • Minefield (mozilla-central trunk) nightlies have been renumbered to 3.6a1pre
  • next steps are renaming AMO maxVers, changing blocking flags on Bugzilla, updating saved queries and charts, graph server links, etc


Blocker Report

Since 1.9.1 branch …

Past 2 weeks …

[ Platform Blocker Queries | Front End Blocker Queries ]

Summary

  • for the past two weeks, our find-fix rate has been close to 0

  • not wholly unexpected as we’ve released another beta
  • need to monitor this closely, and think of what this means for our b4 schedule

The Breakdown


Browser / Front End

  • Polish update: Firefox is 47% shiny (+3% over last week)

    • Thanks go to: rstrong, mstange, wladow and Dao (5)

    • 45 remaining easy polish bugs (whiteboard [polish-easy])
    • 36 remaining hard polish bugs(whiteboard [polish-hard])


GFX 1.9.1 Update

  • Bug status:

    • 3 blocking 1.9.1+

    • 1 security-ish bug
    • 1 imglib bug waiting on review
    • 1 imglib mystery crasher bug
  • Focus:
    • Finishing remaining blockers

    • Will send mail about planning update for future work


Layout 1.9.1 Update

  • Layout

    • 7 blockers

    • Current work: frame constructor refactoring (bz), frame GC evaluation (zwol), float bug, SXSW (dbaron), plugin widget hoisting (roc), textbox baseline alignment (karlt)
  • SVG
    • 2 blockers

    • Current work: SVG spec work (jwatt)
  • Video/Audio
    • 12 blockers

    • Major items remaining: A/V sync (doublec), block cache (awaiting review) (roc), seek performance (doublec), bug fixes (cpearce), playback performance (mgregan), code audit issues (more progress)


Content Update

  • 1.9.1:

  • 1.9.next:
    • peterv’s continuing to work on slimwrappers bug slimwrapper.

    • bent’s making good progress on having us stay on trace while calling quickstubs.


JS 1.9.1


Mobile 1.9.1 Update

  • Now have WinCE builds mobile tinderbox is here, YouTube Video review of it on an HTC touch is here ;)

  • bug 481566 We’re seeing big responsiveness wins from this patch to the content sink. Patch isn’t quite what we want, but need to find what we need.
  • bug 67752 Interruptible reflow — we’re also seeing big wins here, would like to trunk as soon as possible and would like to get it landed on 1.9.1 at some point if possible
  • We’re seeing performance wins from turning on the chrome JIT. Having trouble coming up with good tools to measure as our current ones use JSD which disables the JIT.
  • Seeing a small backlog of 1.9.1 approval requests piling up, none super urgent, but need to continue to get in.
  • bug 422540 Asked Mike Kristoffersen to take a look at getting the gstreamer backend working for video since it is hardware accelerated on our devices. Unable to get more than 2-3 FPS with OGG.


Security


Security Reviews

Still outstanding / to be scheduled

  • native JSON

  • DNS prefetching

Booked but not yet completed


Tree Management

  • Crash stacks for tests:

    • on talos and unittests – yay!

    • Needs to happen on try server still bug 483111
  • Run unit tests on packaged builds bug 421611, bug 383136
    • Got hung up on some xpcshell test issues bug 483202, should have updated patch today with good enough workaround, basically done modulo reviews at that point

    • Should have this wrapped up in the next day or two. This should satisfy requirements for mobile.


Roundtable

  • Turn off the SQL logging by default (file bugs on performance problems)

    • These warnings won’t solve the problem, since you can’t know whether you’ve fixed a performance problem if you don’t measure it. Real bug: need performance tests for storage users, and storage itself.

    • Going to take the patch currently in bug 481261, and disable existing warning queries and file bugs on them.
  • Consider localStorage feature land on 1.9.1, bug 422526
    • Did we have the security review?

    • still needs to land on trunk (needs review bz)?
    • see dev.planning thread on the topic
  • Nick Nethercote will be doing a Valgrind brown bag presentation next week. All devs are encouraged to join. Nick is a core contributor to Valgrind. I’ll send out a note to dev-planning with instructions on how the public can join.
  • Quicktime/DirectShow prioritization
    • roc & co want to deprioritize

    • unscoped work to get it on 191
    • maintenance headache
    • disagreement about how well this aligns with our goals for supporting open video
      • supporting these backends means supporting non-open video formats such as WMP, QT, etc

      • however it does promote use of the <video>

16-March-2009

Places Meeting Minutes: 2009-03-16

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — bsmedberg @ 11:01 pm

Places/Status Meetings/2009-03-16

From MozillaWiki

« previous week | index | next week »

Places Team Meeting Details

  • Mondays at 9:00am Pacific

  • irc.mozilla.org #places


Work Priorities


QA Issues


Status updates

  • sdwilsh

    • No update (been working on non-places stuff)
  • mak

    • Done triaging unconfirmed bugs and some reviews

    • bug 483261: small improvement for Linux d&d, good for 3.5. A new issue probably found, investigating on (need to debug some popupmanager code).
    • bug 390614: latest patch up ready for review (high priority per string freeze)
    • bug 480873: a new comment from John, will look into it
    • I’ll be away 19-22
  • adw
    • https://places-stats.mozilla.com

      • Exchanged emails with John at Mozilla and Steven at silverorange re: branding for site. Waiting to hear back from Steven since Wednesday — got reply just this morning (8:15 am) with branding attached. Will examine when I get in to office.

      • Enabled JSON output on GET so ddahl can hookup his generator to the data
    • bug 469436 – Final patch up, need Axel’s approval for some accesskey changes
    • bug 480169 – Helping Johnathan and Alex with their clear recent history sprint
    • bug 430148 – Patch for Library polish bug, waiting on mano’s review
  • ddahl

    • Place stats generator is now collecting it’s data from places-stats.mozilla.comv bug 480340

      • also added moz_keywords and moz_inputhistory

      • I can set all of this up on my macmini w/ cron to create a new file daily if need be
    • Put up a WIP demo for MozStorage js ORM bug 394732
    • Need to get back on my testing bugs in conjunction with Tracy bug 475977
    • Going to ask for approval for bug 431011 patch – linux key command to open places (finally!)
  • dietrich

    • about:me

    • query result chunking


Documentation

  • MDC

    • the migration guide needs history api and dynamic container examples. (dietrich)

    • the design documents linked from MDC need to be written. can probably cull from the old design overview docs.
    • Documentation non-existent:
      • dynamic containers (MaK77)

        • will do as soon as they are working properly


Roundtable

Mozilla Project Meeting Minutes: 2009-03-16

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — bsmedberg @ 11:00 pm

WeeklyUpdates/2009-03-16

From MozillaWiki

« previous week | index | next week »

Meeting Details

  • 1:00pm Pacific time (20:00 UTC until November 1, 2009)

  • Mozilla HQ, 1st floor conference table
  • +1 650 903 0800 x92 Conf# 8600 (US/International)
  • +1 416 848 3114 x92 Conf# 8600 (Canada)
  • +1 800 707 2533 (pin 369) Conf# 8600 (US Toll Free)
  • sip:weeklystatus@mozilla.com from generic SIP clients
  • http://air.mozilla.com/ to watch and listen
  • join irc.mozilla.org #staffmeeting for backchannel

note: all participants are muted automatically; if you want to talk, press *1 to un-mute yourself

WeeklyUpdate Live: You can watch the weekly meetings live at Air Mozilla


Friends of the Tree

  • Alix writes in “I would like to thank Bruno Magrani, Arthur Protasio, Felipe Magrani and Pedro Mizukami from our community in Brazil for producing an awesome montage of video testimonials.”
  • Jamey Boje writes in “Alex Buchanan and Paul Booker are the programming gurus on Spread Firefox v.3. There are many others working very hard on this project but Alex Buchanan and Paul Booker go way above and beyond. I am extremely impressed with their dedication and it’s a great joy working with them. ‘What a learning experience ;)’”


Development Updates


Branch work: Firefox 3.0.x / Thunderbird 2.0.0.x

  • Firefox 3.0.8

    • Code freeze is tomorrow night at 11:59pm

    • Please work on your blockers
    • Aiming for mid-April release
  • Thunderbird 2.0.0.21
    • Shipping on Wednesday

    • Fixes in sync with Firefox 3.0.7


Gecko 1.9.1

  • Beta 4 progress solid. JS bugs are getting closed out faster now. Everyone on the JS team seems to be pulling together to get these issues closed out. A few awesome highlights:

    • Graydon Hoare bug 482263 – Avoid re-entering recorder while deep aborting, r=mrbkap (Also known as the TM: “Assertion failure: x->oprnd2() == lirbuf->sp || x->oprnd2() == gp_ins, at ../jstracer.cpp bug. I LOVE trying to read those kinds-o-bugs).

    • Jim Blandy bug 480132 – SpiderMonkey clones too many blocks into the heap
    • Jason Orendorff bug 480147 – TM: “Assertion failure: cx->bailExit” with string.replace and type instability. r=gal.
  • Other areas are looking pretty good to wrap up blockers soon:
    • 14 final blocker bugs left in content.

    • 3 GFX final blockers.
    • 7 Layout final blockers. (Last week: 6)
    • 2 SVG final blockers.
    • JS with 40 blockers. (Last week: 42)
  • Triage needed. 47 noms are in the queue right now.
  • For weekly engineering meeting notes and other info see the Platform page.
  • 89 total 1.9.1 blockers (last week: 86).


Firefox 3.1

Firefox Front End Work

  • 11 blockers left, only 1 of which is complicated

  • Good progress on code sprints for items that may be taken on the Firefox 3.1 branch, but will be taken on trunk:
    • fixing PFS so that it can be used to install plugins again

    • refactoring Places DB for performance improvements
    • restoring only visible tabs first upon session restore

Beta 3

  • released last Thursday

  • already at 250,000 users

Firefox 3.5 Beta 4

  • this will be the first release with the new version number

  • current schedule:
    • string freeze this Thursday at 11:59pm PDT

    • code freeze Monday April 6th
    • release week of April 13th

Reversioning to 3.5


TB 3

  • Auto-update of users of older 3.0 alphas and betas to 3.0beta2 should be live soon (bug 482962)

  • 3.0b3 in progress; planning updates soon
  • Enabling Spotlight search using about:config on OS X nightly builds should now work again (bug 290057)


Mobile

Fennec Maemo Beta 1 to be released tomorrow!

Windows Mobile progress

Symbian port moving forward

As always, weekly meeting notes


IT

  • Upgraded Bugzilla


Release Engineering


QA

Tomcat and I just returned from CeBIT last weeks. Lots of great questions about FFx 3.1 and web standards we support like CSS3, and HTML5. People loved it when Tomcat demo’ed Blizzard’s STS-116 Launch Profile video which demonstrated an ogg video. There were lots of web developers who stopped by.

Test Execution

  • Shipped TB 2.0.0.21 beta on 3/11!

  • Shipped Beta 3 on 3/12!
    • QA was half-day ahead of schedule. Test results

    • A successful b3 testday with 37 participants and 426 testcases ran on 3/13
  • 56 1.9.1 bugs verified last week
  • 3.0.7->3.1b3 Major Update Test Run in progress. Tracking results here.

Web Dev Testing, Metrics, Accessibility, Localization, Communty

  • Community:

    • We had a very active testday for Firefox 3.1 B3. See the report.

    • Tomcat will be attending MAOW Berlin Event that will happens in 2 weeks
    • Met with Asa to talk about what Community Health metrics might look like
  • Posted notes about FFx 3.1 B3 testing via FaceBook and Twitter, and blogs
  • Accessibilty: See MarcoZ’s Blog. Fixed the loading of remote images in Mochitests, which is always a dangerous source of failure if an image can’t be loaded from the remote site. Requested that accessibility and the accessibility unit tests be enabled on the mozilla-central unit test tinderbox for Mac. This is the first step in getting Mac accessibility efforts moving again. A bunch of people are heading to CSUN in Los Angeles this week, so if you’re in the area, come and drop by our booth!
  • Metrics: Completed the RE Instrumentation build set-up milestone. This allows automated collection of code coverage stats on a regular basis. For now we are collecting this weekly. RE to move it from test to production. Working on setting up Pentaho ETL to create data dump for code coverage results for further analysis.
  • Web Dev Testing: Worked on verifying SUMO 1.0/1.1 bugs. Shipped AMO 5.0.3. Tested all.html changes, all-beta.html changes, and the Dynamic Content project for Mozilla.com. Continued validating SFX redesign.

Test Development

    • Fixing MozMill bugs now that 1.1 is out.

    • Mobile: Tested Fennec Beta 1. Tested changes fix last minute blockers. Ran automation. Results are on mobile staging device which is down so recollecting results on local box.


Security

Some Mozilla security folks will be at the CanSecWest security conference this week, track us down and say hi.


Marketing/PR


General

  • Video testimonials from Firefox enthusiasts at Campus Party in Sao Paulo, Brazil

  • Next Community Marketing call is this Wednesday, March 25th, at 10am PDT. Dial-in Info: +1.650.903.0800, followed by 92# and then 7391#. Or you can use our toll-free number: +1.800.707.2533, followed by 369# and then 7391#. For those that can’t make the call or want to participate online, join us in #marketing on irc.mozilla.org.


PR


Events

Events

  • SxSW, March 13 – 17, 2009, Austin, Texas: Brendan Eich & Arun Rangnathan participating in browser panel again on March 16th, John Resig speaking on JS libraries on March 14th, David Baron on CSS3 panel on March 15th. Labs holding a get together on March 16th at 4:30 pm at the Moonshine Grill.

  • NTEN Conference, April 26 – 28, 2009, San Francisco: They are looking for volunteers:
    • Day of Service, Sunday, April 26th: Two opportunities:

      • Strategy consults, 9 a.m. – 11 a.m.: Organizations are looking for everything from technology help to marketing and fundraising tips. Sign ups here.

      • Help install wireless networks at St. Anthony’s in SF’s Tenderloin district or on Treasure Island. Sign ups here.


Support

  • No updates this week.


Metrics

  • No updates this week.


Evangelism

  • Documentation

    • The Firefox addons developer guide is now available on MDC. It’s undergoing some cleanup and copyediting still, but is a great resource for extension developers.

    • Work is underway on adding a new and easier to navigate menu hierarchy to MDC to make it easier to find documentation when you’re not quite sure what you’re looking for. An “expert” page will be available as well, with quick links to a wide assortment of subjects.
  • New weekly meetings. Announced in planning and evangelism. Meets every Thursday. Please see the weekly meetings section in the Evangelism page for more information including notes + agenda.


Labs


Developer Tools

  • Initial Bespin release

    • Focus on core text component
  • Community uptake and contributions are literally overwhelming
    • Eclipse integration (Boris Bokowski)

    • xwiki (Jerome Velociter)
    • Dojo port (Roberto Saccon)
    • Syntax highlighting / tree parsing
    • File open dialog
    • Tons of misc. patches
    • Well-attended meet up in London; will have another here at end of month
  • Bespin 0.2 “dogfood” release coming up
    • VCS

    • Collaboration
  • Upcoming tool: Light-weight memory profiler
    • Cycle collector

    • Heap details
  • Upcoming tool: Taxonomy of tools
    • Inspired by OS X’s software directory
  • On-going experiment: Server-side JS
    • Mailing list

    • Meet-up here at end of month


Add-ons

  • AMO 5.0.3 shipped last week, blog post going out today describing changes

    • Editor notification for add-on changes

    • Improved dashboard with week-over-week display
    • “Share This” links
    • and other features
  • Planned 3.5 migration
    • 3.1b4 will get converted to 3.5b4 on 3/17

    • 3.2a1 will get converted to 3.6a1 on 3/1
    • Sam Sidler coordinating
    • 5.0.4 release will update compatibility dashboard to consider 3.1 and 3.5 to be the same version.
  • Compatibility
    • 3.1* compatibility still around 80%

    • 3.1b3 compatibility up to 55% which is a 30% increase from last week.


Webdev

  • AMO 5.0.3 shipped last week

  • Personas site work nearing completion
  • Contextual landing pages code complete, redirects and QA left
  • mozilla.com all.html pages updated and shipped — thanks to QA (Stephen and Krupa) and Steven Garrity @ SilverOrange for their awesome work
  • Socorro work week was successful – worked with pg experts to help us sort out our postgresql situation and have solid plans to improve our system — see what we covered


L10n

  • Seth blogged about adding more localizations to Firefox:

    • Bengali, Bangladesh, bn-BD

    • Oriya, India, or
    • Spanish, Mexico, es-MX
    • Croatian, Croatia, hr
    • We are now building 70 locales of Firefox
  • Always good to check out the main l10n wiki page for team updates.


Foundation Updates

  • The Foundation is accepting applications for a summer internship for the Mozilla Education program.

  • The new mozilla.education forum is up and running and accessible via NNTP, Google Groups, and as a mailing list.
  • You can now flag bugs that would make good student projects using the “student-project” keyword (see bug 479062).
  • Armen Zambrano posted video interviews from the Chattanooga symposium on integrating open source into the undergraduate computing curriculum.
  • On the next Mozilla Education weekly call Pascal Finette will be discussing the online course for the Mozilla Labs Design Challenge, and we’ll be using the call to test out the DimDim system for possible future use in Mozilla Education online courses.


Roundtable


Other Business

11-March-2009

Firefox 3.1 Meeting Minutes: 2009-03-11

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — bsmedberg @ 11:00 pm

Firefox3.1/StatusMeetings/2009-03-11

From MozillaWiki

« previous week | index | next week »

Firefox Product Delivery Meeting Details

  • Wednesdays – Firefox 3 – 11:00am Pacific, 2:00pm Eastern, 18:00 UTC

  • Mozilla Building S
  • 650-903-0800 or 650-215-1282 x92 Conf# 8605 (US/INTL)
  • 1-800-707-2533 (pin 369) Conf# 8605 (US)
  • irc.mozilla.org #shiretoko for backchannel

NOTE: See Platform#Meeting_Notes for development meeting notes


Firefox 3.0.x


Firefox 3.1 Development

Development Update

Daily users (weekly average across versions)

  • 3.1b2 – 380k

  • Shiretoko – 10k
  • Minefield – 10k

Beta 3

Re-versioning to 3.5

  • will be renaming 3.1 -> 3.5 to indicate increased scope

  • plan on wiki (see above link)

Beta 4

  • proposed schedule in dev.planning thread

  • approved by development team
  • might be able to trim QA time
  • build is OK with this
  • beltzner to announce on dev.planning and DevNews
  • blizzard is concerned about the number of video blockers
    • performance on Linux for 640×480 @30fps

    • can cause heavy load on servers due to our seek behaviour
    • scope is well known, but concerned about being able to get it done on time
    • beltzner will follow up with roc to ensure that it’s being tracked


Support

  • AOL webmail not showing images to (some) Firefox 3.0.7 users bug 482659:

    • [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6]

    • Also quite a few livechats, workaround is to use basic mode for now.
  • Support Firefox Day 5 will focus on 3.5 and will be March 26th. Mark your calendars now!


Localization


QA


Release Engineering

  • On track to deliver 3.0 -> 3.5 test MU tomorrow

  • Ready to do 3.1 -> 3.5 bump on Tuesday.


Add-Ons

  • Compatibility status

    • At 83.5%, up 3.5% from the week before. Developers still waiting on the next beta.
  • Meeting w/ Sam Sidler tomorrow to coordinate any 3.5 changes we’ll need to make on AMO
  • Will email all the 3.1 developers to remind them to up the maxver to 3.1b3


Partners

  • We’ll be testing 3.0.x -> 3.5 updates with partner distributions. Expectation is that fallback will be used (no separate MU offers required), but need to confirm.

  • Yandex as default is in place for 3.1b3 (thanks L10n) for the Russian locale
  • Google notified that start page hostnames were changed for 3.1bx/3.5, confirmed this won’t cause any issues


Evangelism


Marketing/PR

  • Plan in place for promoting Fx beta-3 via start page snippet; will add download CTA button and update text on all-beta.html page. Snippet will go into rotation 3-5 days after beta-3 release

  • new all beta page looks like this


Roundtable

10-March-2009

SeaMonkey Meeting Minutes: 2009-03-10

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — bsmedberg @ 11:00 pm

SeaMonkey:StatusMeetings:2009-03-10

From MozillaWiki

« last meeting | index

SeaMonkey Meeting Details


Agenda

  • Who’s taking minutes? -> Ratty


Action Items

(who needs to do what that hasn’t been recorded in a bug) We should assign people to the open items.

NEW

  • ?

OPEN

  • Find a volunteer to drive the Modern theme updates into the tree. [KaiRo]

  • Make sure a bug is filed to create the UI for the mail archiving function available in the backend. [IanN]
  • Create new bugzilla components (to match Firefox and Thunderbird): [Ratty]
    • “Session Restore”. Yes.

    • Tabs and Toolbars. KIV for the time being.
    • Note: Meta bug is bug 471534.

CLOSED

  • The fishcam webpage needs to replace the “Get Firefox” button with a “Get SeaMonkey” button or at least add a SeaMonkey one. bug 480483, fixed by Lou.


SeaMonkey 2 Alpha 3

Bug Queries

open blockers
all blockers
blocker requests

  • Released! (including complete auto-updates, btw.)

  • How is testing feedback so far?
    • Generally positive on Mozillazine. Everyone is impatient for 2.0final.
  • We have had requests for Places Bookmarks.
    • this should be something we should look at in the post 2.0 timeframe.


SeaMonkey 2 Beta 1

Bug Queries

open blockers
all blockers
blocker requests

  • SeaMonkey developers will need to nominate bugs that they think should be considered for blocking Beta 1.

  • Target/freeze dates? Sync with Firefox 3.5 beta 4 and/or Thunderbird 3.0 beta 3 as much as possible?
    • Firefox 3.5b4 has a code freeze on 6th April and planned release on 14th April; unfortunately Thunderbird 3.0b3 is still TBD.

    • We will continue keeping an eye on Firefox and Thunderbird with a tentative freeze and release schedule for SeaMonkey 2.0 Beta 1 in a mid-April time frame.


Longer-Term SeaMonkey 2 Planning

open wanted
wanted requests

Major wanted/needed features:

  • bug 381157 Download manager backend.

    • Callek should have patch up by tomorrow (sans some pref migration).

    • Help needed for the progress dialog UI.
  • bug 472001 UI for download manager.
    • Review done as far as possible with the code only. Waiting on backend.
  • Toolbar customization:
    • bug 413385 MailNews.

      • Ratty will be starting on this next. Filed bug 481862 (The Main MailNews window needs suitable button icons for small button mode) so that customizable toolbar buttons in MailNews Modern won’t be so terrible.
    • Plans on other components?
      • None at the moment. Volunteers welcome.

      • Customizable Composer toolbars would save us a whole pref panel.
  • bug 456757 Modern theme update.
    • The next step is to file bugs/patches for each sub-module under mozapps/ in order to get reviewed. Ideally a graphically oriented person should to drive this – helpwanted.

    • If someone (who is reading this) understands our review process and can drive the existing stuff into the tree, please help us there!
    • KaiRo will blog about it and try to find a volunteer.
  • bug 460699 Make the default theme look better on mac.
    • No progress at the moment but stefanh says he will look into this soon.
  • bug 410613 OpenSearch. helpwanted.
    • We need to check if OpenSearch can support all our existing functionality, for example the INTEPRETS section in Sherlock search plugins. Mnyromyr will check on that.
  • bug 460953 Port jminta’s kill-rdf to SeaMonkey where applicable.
    • status/progress?
  • bug 415372 Implement Feed Preview.
    • The next patch should be done by next week.

    • bug 471346 (Port GetDefaultFeedReader to SeaMonkey shell service).
      • New patch is up, waiting for review.
  • bug 460960 Port Thunderbird tabbed interface to MailNews.
    • None at the moment.

Just added:

  • bug 348720 New icon set for “SeaMonkey Default Theme”.

  • bug 465504 Include an identity indicator in primary chrome (EV certificate UI).


Roundtable

Status Updates from developers – what are you working on, what’s the progress, any other comments? (feel free to add yourself to the list if your name is missing and you have interesting status).


ajschult


asrail

  • Expect next patch for feeds preview to be done for next week. I’m on classes again, I will hardly be able to join the meeting.


biesi


Callek


IanN

  • bug 471932 Do some tidy up/fixing of feed subscription and related code – fixes lots of issues with the new shared code – new patch with updated folderDeleted tests is STILL waiting for review, new unbitrotted version created.

  • Usual reviewing and commenting.
  • Done some more coding but nothing as yet ready to review – main work has been looking at TNEF attachments.


KaiRo

  • Got lots of new ideas and visions for the future (of the world in general, not SeaMonkey-specific) at Lift09 in Geneva.

  • Tagged, built and released SeaMonkey 2.0 Alpha 3, including website changes, announcements and automatic updates for users of previous alphas.
  • Repackaged, tested and released 13 experimental language packs for that newest milestone.
  • Tagged and built a first candidate for SeaMonkey 1.1.15
  • As always, my blog has more detailed status about my work.


mcsmurf

  • Helped Neil and jag fixing bug 466994 New FAYT implementation prevents entering any text in text input boxes while search is active; would probably have been a SeaMonkey 2 final blocker

  • Created a patch for bug 470175 “Find as you type” should be stopped upon loading a new webpage
  • Looked at bug 481836 url bar autocomplete fills in nonexistant URL, strange things happen when you enable autofill because of the new Places code returning results the old code did not expect; Neil already had a patch for that one, need to improve one minor thing in the patch (match case-sensitive, not case-insensitive)


Misak

  • Working on bug 481862 (The Main MailNews window needs suitable button icons for small button mode). Currently recreating the graphics in vector format.

  • Ported bunch of sessionstore followup bugs.
  • Sessionstore tests waiting for review.


Mnyromyr


MReimer


Neil


Ratty

  • Bugs Landed on 1.9.1:

    • bug 471508 Make the toolboxChanged() callback return useful information.
  • Currently working on bugs:
    • bug 435652 Scrollbars become hidden/disappear when the window gets smaller/shrinks (but not too small).

    • bug 478575 system background colors not applied to tab preview for a new tab still loading.
    • bug 479992 Better fix for the “Halo”/Extended border around buttons on modern theme.
    • bug 482291 Implement getBrowserAtIndex() and getBrowserIndexForDocument().
  • Bugs ToDo:
    • bug 413385 Implement Customizable Toolbars in SeaMonkey MailNews. I’ll be starting on this next.
  • Bug discussions:
    • bug 481862 The Main MailNews window needs suitable button icons for small button mode.
  • Other:
    • Bug triage.

    • Mozillazine discussions and agitprop.


sgautherie

  • Fixed SeaMonkey bugs:

    • bug 481337 Port |Bug 473905 – View All Headers mode leaks DOM nodes| to SeaMonkey
  • Fixed Core/… (but SM related) bugs:
    • bug 482112 |xpcshell/head.js:160: Error: cannot open file ‘/buildbot/linux-comm-central-check/build/mozilla/mailnews/test/resources/mailDirService.js’ for reading|
  • And working on other areas… like
    • infrastructure to run tests

    • filing bugs for leaks in (TUnit and Reftest) tests
    • doing an (experimental) Windows mozilla-central SeaMonkey build, reporting to bug 470184 issue tracking; hoping for bug 464325 new tinderboxes.


Standard8


stefanh


wladow


Any other business?

  • KaiRo: “Reward the SeaMonkey devs” idea – list ways how people can reward individual SeaMonkey devs for the work they are doing.

  • Google Summer of Code.
    • Google Page.

    • Brainstorming page.
    • Projects with confirmed mentors.
    • Please add your suggestions to the brainstorming page, doesn’t matter if you don’t want to be a mentor, ideas are the important part at this stage. Remember it needs to be about an 8-week chunk of work.
    • Students start discussing ideas on 18th March, and start applying on 23rd March.
  • DST: Can we keep the time of the meeting to 1300 UTC even though two meetings from now, it will be after the start of DST in Europe? Ratty.
    • To be discussed at next meeting.

Thunderbird Meeting Minutes: 2009-03-10

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — bsmedberg @ 11:00 pm

Thunderbird/StatusMeetings/2009-03-10

From MozillaWiki

last meeting | index | next week »

Thunderbird Meeting Details :


Agenda

  • Who’s taking minutes? –> bienvenu

  • Minute taking Schedule. Talk to davida for schedule changes/additions.


Action Items


New


Open


Closed


Thunderbird 3 Beta 3

  • Proposed Freezes ( All dates use time of 23:59 PST )

    • Slushy String freeze date: 2009-04-24

    • Slushy Code Freeze date: 2009-04-26
    • Firm String / Code freeze date: 2009-04-28
    • l10n-mozilla-1.9.1 freeze date: 2009-04-30
    • Target Build Ship date: 2009-05-05
  • dmose is release driver

  • gozer is build engineer


Thunderbird 3

  • Please set bugs to assigned status (as well as owner to you) if you want to do them.

  • If you have other bugs assigned to you that you don’t want to do, please reassign or discuss with drivers.
  • Trying to put together a schedule that will land features every week or two. dmose will be putting a plan together.


QA Updates

  • Testing updates for releases prior to beta2

  • Organized a DUPME bug day -> 10 bugs got changes on the dupme query
  • Will continue with bugdays until we have a better schedule for beta 3.
  • Hope we will be able to update prior releases to beta2 in oreder to figure out what is crashig in beta2.
  • Working on figuring out how to get more end-users involved in testing.
  • Trying to get all major linux distro’s supported.


Marketing Updates

  • Tb3 beta 2 press roundup

  • Met with the GetSatisfaction team and working through details of how to best utilize their service.
  • For PR purposes, it’s best to shoot for release Tu-early Th.


Roundtable

Google Summer of Code

Please add your suggestions to the brainstorming page, doesn’t matter if you don’t want to be a mentor, ideas are the important part at this stage. Remember it needs to be about an 8-week chunk.

Students start discussing ideas on 18th March, start applying on 23rd March.

Gozer worked with Mozilla release to figure out how to upgrade TB 3 b1 users to b2 and we just need to do some testing before triggering the upgrade.

Wayne suggested we might want to update the release notes w/ issues found after b2 shipped.


Status Updates


davida
  • missed his flight, so really grumpy.


dmose
  • lots of driving work

    • drafted 3.0b3 schedule and strawman tb3 schedule
  • message-header patch work
  • gloda review work (should finish this week!)

goals for this week:

  • draft 3.0b3 sub-milestones

  • draft SF space plan
  • 1 hr/day code-reviews
  • finish message-header patch


nth10sd
  • bug 326483 – create sample email for test; seems WFM.

    • Won’t Save Incoming Mail Attachment if Chinese file name
  • bug 460605 – Initial testing done, waiting on more info.
    • Message Reader: header pane context menu popup takes too long for contacts in long list with lots of addresses
  • Some security bug triage.
  • Bugdays, QA, etc.


Standard8
  • Reviews

  • Bug triage
  • Activity Manager
    • bug 477862 Activity Manager: activity list doesn’t clear permanently until restart.

    • bug 482253 Fix Activity Manager’s themes so that text can be read when window is not focused, and make it easier for themes to be applied across all activity types.
    • bug 481431 Provide a centralised alert/message service in mailnews to allow different front-end displays for alerts.
    • bug 482466 Hook activity manager into the new alert/error listening mechanism.
  • Misc
    • bug 479844 Consolidate checking for messages to send later into one function.

Two week goals:

  • Reduce review backlog to zero

  • bug 450134 – Autocomplete perf improvement (inc restore autocomplete on other email addresses).
    • Proposed a patch for this, got review comments, need to improve.
  • bug 440794 – Implement policy for sending in background, pref off to begin with.
    • Defferred due to activity manager improvements (and heading towards non-modal alerts).
  • bug 457296 – Design interfaces for a separate service (i.e. not directly linked to address book) to determine allowing remote images to load or not.
    • Initial design for back-end posted.

    • Need to figure out storage mechanism.
    • Have ideas for Pref UI changes.


asuth


bienvenu
  • Reviews and driving

  • Made some progress on autoconfig in separate repo, fixed windows and mac themes, fixed initial folder discovery, etc.
  • allow setMsgWindow on mailnews url to null out msg window, and fix nntp code not to accidentally clear msg window bug 481198
  • make auto sync use IMAP STATUS command to check if a folder has changed instead of SELECT bug 428266
  • Fixed for crash in mailbox discovery bug 376192
  • Fixed crash on startup when imap server sends list response with trailing delimiter (not /) bug 480870
  • Set up new development machine

Next Week

  • Make autoconfig handle duplicate smtp servers, and other autoconfig repo

  • More work on smart mailboxes patch.
  • Drive asuth’s view patch in


gozer
  • Build

    • Try server (in progress)

    • Betatest updates ready for Alpha*/Beta1 => Beta2 bug 471584
      • Complete updates all around except for 3.0b1 Linux/Mac en-US

      • Learned a lot more about patcher!
      • When/How do we go live with this ?
    • Clobberer server! (gozer/Standard8 have access, if you want it too, file a bug)
  • Web
    • New website got a few performance fixups and tweaks

      • Saw > 2,200,000 hits in the last 24 hours

      • avg of 10,710 unique daily visits to the 3.0b2 Start page in the last week
      • 65k unique visits to the 3.0b2 Start page in the last week

  • Infrastructure

    • Buildbot timeouts issues look like they have finally vanished beyond the ‘acceptable’ horizon

80% recovered from the sick… better


clarkbw
  • worked on hiring, and other miscellaneous things

  • 1-2 week goal for landing autoconfig is usefully aggressive.


wsmwk
  • bugs resolved: 21

  • bugday
  • updated irc instructions
  • posting in mozillazine and mozilla.feedback.thunderbird.prerelease
  • still pushing on crash-stats performance


beckley


Penelope
  • bug 481855 review accepted

  • bug 480899 needs some more work
  • I’ve been looking in to how to support filter actions that detach attachments from the message, and discussing this with bienvenu. This may require a modification to the filter code to allow asynchronous filter actions.


KaiRo


rkent

My mailnews work has focused recently on three primary activity threads:

  • Bayesian filter feature extensions, including more precise control of application, and use with rss and nntp

    • bug 478840 (landed) Support inherited folder properties

    • bug 481676 (in review) Move bayes listeners to nsMsgDBFolder
    • bug 471833 (next) Provide hooks to control calculation of bayesian filter traits
  • Prevent loss of message database information
    • bug 459680 (partial solution in review) Moves and copies should move all database info

    • bug 340886 (not started) Junk status changes to “unknown” when I delete or separate an attachment
  • Search all address fields capability
    • bug 310359 (parent, partial solution landed) search all address fields capability (Bcc:s too!)

    • bug 381667 (in review) Support BCC in message summary files
    • (unfiled) add BCC to All Messages search
    • (unfiled) support reordering of message search terms
    • (unfiled) support all message search in online IMAP search

I’m largely review limited at the moment, which I expect to get continually worse, so I think I only have another couple of weeks of mailnews patches before I can pretty much kiss further TB3 work goodbye.


rebron
  • Competitive analysis work of other messaging clients/services.

  • Evaluating Add-on contest for Thunderbird.


Tsk
  • Done :

    • DUPME event – not satisfied by results

    • Attended MozCamp/Utrecht
      • Met a few interested people

      • Once STEEL’s out we should attend Extension Workshop
  • Continuing:

    • QA plan

    • Engaging communities
  • Todo:

    • Try to communicate more effectively

    • explain what and why QA is important – to try to get w few more people onboard
    • Plan tb3.0b3 testing


Attendees

bienvenu, dmose, standard8, gozer, clarkbw, ludovic, rebron, wsmwk, beckley, kairo

Older Posts »

Powered by WordPress