Meeting Notes

10-March-2009

Mozilla Platform Meeting Minutes: 2009-03-10

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — bsmedberg @ 11:00 pm

Platform/2009-03-10

From MozillaWiki

« previous week | index | next week »


Notices / Schedule

Firefox 3.0.8

  • Code freeze March 17

Thunderbird 2.0.0.21

  • Beta tomorrow

  • On track to ship on March 18
  • Fixes on par with Firefox 3.0.7

Firefox 3.1 Beta 3

  • tagged and built last week

  • on track for Thursday release

Firefox 3.5 Beta 4


Blocker Report

Since 1.9.1 branch …

Past 2 weeks …

[ Platform Blocker Queries | Front End Blocker Queries ]

Summary

  • our blocker fix rate has slowed over the past week, both on trunk and in porting the fixes to mozilla-1.9.1

  • people haven’t been doing triage; the number of nominations is growing

The Breakdown


Browser / Front End

  • Polish update: Firefox is 44% shiny (+4% over last week)


GFX 1.9.1 Update

  • Vlad’s away in Helsinki; Joe handling gfx update.

  • Bug status:
    • 3 blocking 1.9.1+

    • 1 unknown imglib topcrasher; we can’t reproduce, and crash reporter stacks are mostly worthless, but joe hopes he has a fix in bug 481753
    • 1 Security
    • 1 imglib followon patch, waiting on sr
    • 1 nom
  • Focus:
    • Finishing remaining blockers


Layout 1.9.1 Update

  • Layout

    • 6 blockers

    • Current work: float layout, code-coverage-based cleanup (dbaron), frame constructor, incremental reflow (bzbarsky), Cleartype ink issues (jkew), frame GC tests (zwol)
  • SVG
    • 2 blockers

    • Current work: SVG spec work (jwatt), SMIL turn-on (dholbert)
  • Video/Audio
    • 11 blockers

    • Major items remaining: A/V sync (doublec), block cache (nearly done) (roc), seek performance (doublec), code audit issues (good steady progress)
  • 2 untriaged noms


Content 1.9.1 Update

  • 14 blockers

    • No P1 blockers!

    • There are 5 bugs that need landing.
    • 8 blocker bugs without patch.


JS 1.9.1


Mobile 1.9.1 Update


Security


Security Reviews

Still outstanding / to be scheduled

  • native JSON

  • DNS prefetching

Booked but not yet completed


Tree Management

Greener tinderbox

  • Current Status

    • Built using changeset 356458e646d0 (end of the week last week, which ran green)

    • Tests are running on Windows VM, Windows Machine, Mac Machine, and Linux Vm.
    • Still waiting on Linux Machine – bug 479088
    • Seeing some failures already, will have a in depth analysis later in the week once I have more data. It will be published to m.d.tree-management and planet.m.o
  • Getting crash stacks for tests

    • Final patch for Talos has been reviewed, awaiting deployment (requires downtime): bug 458903

    • Stacks from mochitest/reftest are complete, bug 481495
  • Run unit tests on packaged builds bug 421611, bug 383136

    • Mochitest bits all landed

    • Reftest ready to land
    • XPCshell patches up, r?bsmedberg


Roundtable

  • discuss proposed b4 schedule

    • people felt pretty ok, not sure all blockers would get fixed, but most

    • agreed to assign P1 to harder bugs and more severe ones
    • agreed to revisit schedule weekly to see how things are going
  • Any progress on Out of Process Plugins? bug 478976
    • no update
  • Consider localStorage feature land on 1.9.1, bug 422526
    • see dev.planning thread on the topic

    • honzab and dcamp to co-ordinate with dveditz to do a security review on the bits that have changed since the last one
    • once reviewed, it’ll go on mozilla-central
    • meet next week after security review and bake time to discuss again
  • wanted1.9.1+ bugs that are FIXED but have no fixed1.9.1 or verified1.9.1

9-March-2009

Places Meeting Minutes: 2009-03-09

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — bsmedberg @ 11:00 pm

Places/Status Meetings/2009-03-09

From MozillaWiki

« previous week | index | next week »

Places Team Meeting Details

  • Mondays at 9:00am Pacific

  • irc.mozilla.org #places


Work Priorities


QA Issues


Status updates

  • sdwilsh

    • New sprint that is currently going through test hell.

      • will work with a content person today on this
  • mak

    • bug 480873: still one issue to go, need a forceReloadIcon cache, so on next reload we will ignore failedFaviconCache.

    • bug 457708: no updates from last week, still need tests for remaining APIs
      • needed for async location bar work by sdwilsh
    • bug 390614: still waiting on UX Team, hope to get that in 3.5
  • ddahl

    • Sprint update: going to publish ubiquity command for places-stats later today. Ubiquity-using power users will have quality places stats. (I assume)

    • Waiting on bigger dataset in order to formulate “ideal” inputs to places data generator.
    • reworking bug 410196 after Mak’s comments
    • Just starting test creation for Places controller code coverage
    • Attempted to help with bug 481257 :)
    • Starting bug 481443 – support bug for Mak’s bug 481406
  • dietrich

    • about:me sprint ongoing

    • blockers done (mostly), so focusing on reviews and bug scrubbing this week


Documentation

  • MDC

    • the migration guide needs history api and dynamic container examples. (dietrich)

    • the design documents linked from MDC need to be written. can probably cull from the old design overview docs.
    • Documentation non-existent:
      • dynamic containers (MaK77)

        • will do as soon as they are working properly


Roundtable

Mozilla Project Meeting Minutes: 2009-03-09

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — bsmedberg @ 11:00 pm

WeeklyUpdates/2009-03-09

From MozillaWiki

« previous week | index | next week »

Meeting Details

  • 1:00pm Pacific time (20:00 UTC until November 1, 2009)

  • Mozilla HQ, 1st floor conference table
  • +1 650 903 0800 x92 Conf# 8600 (US/International)
  • +1 416 848 3114 x92 Conf# 8600 (Canada)
  • +1 800 707 2533 (pin 369) Conf# 8600 (US Toll Free)
  • sip:weeklystatus@mozilla.com from generic SIP clients
  • http://air.mozilla.com/ to watch and listen
  • join irc.mozilla.org #staffmeeting for backchannel

note: all participants are muted automatically; if you want to talk, press *1 to un-mute yourself

TIME CHANGE NOTICE: Daylight Saving Time (DST) began last Sunday in the United States. Meeting time until November 1, 2009 will be 20:00 UTC.

WeeklyUpdate Live: You can watch the weekly meetings live at Air Mozilla


Friends of the Tree

  • Catherine Brady writes in with two nominations:

    • “I’m nominating Alex Buchanan for building the awesome trademark infringement reporting tool. He worked hard and I think it looks great.”

    • “Tomcat as a friend of the tree for his invaluable help in reviewing and analyzing the code on sites we’re investigating for potential infringement. His work has helped us to obtain successful results in several enforcement actions.”
  • Carsten Book has several nominations:

    • “Jane Finette for an stellar job in organizing Mozilla’s first appearance at the CeBIT!”

    • “Kai Engert for helping us at the CeBIT booth Saturday and Sunday !!!”
    • “Our Community, we got thousands of visitors from our community and great feedback and questions for all areas in Mozilla !”

Please send FotT nominations to asa@mozilla.org. This is a great opportunity for the community to recognize those who go above and beyond, so please tell me when you see that happening. Thanks.


Development Updates


Branch work: Firefox 3.0.x / Thunderbird 2.0.0.x


Gecko 1.9.1

  • Now cranking on Beta 4. Groups other than JS are fixing issues as they find them at this point. JS still has a decent size bug list of 42.

  • Other areas are looking pretty good to wrap up blockers soon:
    • 14 final blocker bugs left in content.

    • 3 GFX final blockers.
    • 6 Layout final blockers.
    • 2 SVG final blockers.
    • JS with 42 blockers.
  • Triage needed. 47 noms are in the queue right now.
  • For weekly engineering meeting notes and other info see the Platform page.
  • 86 total 1.9.1 blockers (last week: 90).


Firefox 3.1

Firefox Front End Work

  • 10 blockers left, only 1 of which is complicated

  • Good progress on code sprints for items that could opportunistically be taken for Firefox 3.1, but will be taken on trunk.

Beta 3 Progress

  • tagged and built early last week (one respin required)

  • QA underway and on schedule
  • on target for a release of this Thursday afternoon

Beta 4 Schedule

  • proposed schedule (not final):

    • string freeze: Thursday, March 19th at 11:59pm PDT

    • code freeze: Monday, April 6th at noon PDT
    • qa start: Tuesday, April 7th at 9am PDT
    • release: Tuesday, April 14th, afternoon PDT
  • will discuss this at tomorrow’s platform meeting and Wednesday’s delivery meeting before finalizing
  • you may also comment on the newsgroup thread

Reversioning to 3.5


TB 3


Mobile

Beta 1 is still in testing, but we expect a release in the next day or two.

Weekly Meeting notes


IT

  • Managed 3.0.7 release

    • Had network capacity issues, brief summary

    • Call out to mirrors – we need help!
  • Moved mozilla.org behind Postini for spam filtering


Release Engineering

  • major update discussions in dev.planning or here: [1] [2] [3] [4]

    • fake major update coming to QA this week for FF3.0.7 -> FF3.1b3
  • new parallel l10n repacks used in FF3.1b3.
    • linux: reduced from ~1h15m -> 20mins

    • mac: reduced from 1hr -> 20mins
    • win32: reduced from ~6hrs -> 1hr
    • big tip of the hat to Armen, Axel and Coop for this.
    • more details soon.
  • Rebranding from FF3.1->FF3.5 in next week/so.
  • New Talos mac regression in Ts over weekend – see dev.tree-management for details.
  • Mothballing dm-pageload01 – details in bug 433595


QA

Test Execution

  • Shipped Fx3.0.7 to the world on 3/4

  • Testing Firefox 3.1 Beta 3, ETA ship thursday
    • No active blockers atm. up-to-date results.
  • Timr and Tomcat at CeBit last week, recruited around 10 volunteers to community QA

Test Development

  • Mozmill 1.1 Released

  • Continued JS Testing, some exploratory work on Narcissus
  • Began the builds for Random Orange testing from changeset 356458e646d0 on MozillaCentral
  • Tested Fennec Beta 1 candidates, continue to improve maemkit scripts
    • ETA ship tomorrow

    • Investigating bug 482091, crashing with flash installed
  • Martijn attended MozCamp Utrecht


Security

  • Secunia 2008 Security Report – Addressing some misrepresentations in their report regarding relative numbers of security bugs in browsers.

  • Ebay issue – We are away of an issue that is being currently exploited on Ebay and we are addressing it.


Marketing/PR

General

  • Next Community Marketing call is this Wednesday, March 11th, at 10am PDT. Dial-in Info: +1.650.903.0800, followed by 92# and then 7391#. Or you can use our toll-free number: +1.800.707.2533, followed by 369# and then 7391#. For those that can’t make the call or want to participate online, join us in #marketing on irc.mozilla.org.

  • Spread Firefox: New design to go live on March 18th.

PR

Design

Events

  • Confer 2009, Rajagiri College of Engineering & Mountain View, March 12, 2009: Chofmann is hosting a presentation on Air Mozilla at 5:30 p.m. PDT about Mozilla and open source.

  • SxSW, March 13 – 17, 2009, Austin, Texas: Brendan Eich & Arun Rangnathan participating in browser panel again on March 16th, John Resig speaking on JS libraries on March 14th, David Baron on CSS3 panel on March 15th. Labs holding a get together on March 16th at 4:30 pm at the Moonshine Grill.
  • NTEN Conference, April 26 – 28, 2009, San Francisco: They are looking for volunteers:
    • Day of Service, Sunday, April 26th: Two opportunities:

      • Strategy consults, 9 a.m. – 11 a.m.: Organizations are looking for everything from technology help to marketing and fundraising tips. Sign ups here.

      • Help install wireless networks at St. Anthony’s in SF’s Tenderloin district or on Treasure Island. Sign ups here.


Support


Metrics

  • No updates this week


Evangelism

  • Documentation

    • Firefox 3.1 references have (mostly, at least) been updated to 3.5 in the developer documentation.

    • New article: Manipulating video using canvas, based on Paul’s awesome demo.
    • Firefox 3.5 documentation touching-up is ongoing, but the docs are essentially complete.
    • Testing and evaluation of Mindtouch Deki “Lyons” is ongoing; we hope to upgrade MDC to this new release of the wiki software in April.
    • MDC skin tweaks are in progress to improve discoverability of certain features.


Labs

  • Personas 1.0b3 has been released with a variety of bug fixes. Get it from addons.mozilla.org and give us feedback in the discussion forum.

  • Design Challenge: South-by-southwest edition will be on the topic of how to improve the File Upload interface in Firefox.
  • Weave: Server is now at 2000-4000 active users and has effectively zero load, so we will be ramping up to five digits of users over the next week. We released Milestone 4 and will release Milestone 5 soon. If you want to help test you can request a Weave account here. If you have a Nokia N810, here is a tutorial on how to install Fennec and Weave.
  • Ubiquity: we’re launching a project to figure out how to internationalize/localize the command-line interface. There is a lot of blog discussion (portugese japanese italian general) about this; there’s also a mailing list at ubiquity-i18n@googlegroups.com, and now a weekly internationalization phone meeting on Tuesdays at 5pm Pacific time. We’d love your feedback, especially from localizers.
  • We have a working prototype for the proposed design of the New Tab page that puts useful things into a newly opened tab, instead of a blank white area. We hope this can go into a future version of Firefox, so please try it out and give us feedback!


Developer Tools


Add-ons

5.0.3 release this week

Anonymized Survey Results

  • The biggest request involves the review queue and the time it takes to get out of the sandbox. (24 requests)

  • There is a real need for better documentation (22 requests)
  • Tutorials are scattered across the internet and are often out of date. (21 requests)
  • The IDE’s/tools for writing and debugging extensions are lacking. (15 requests)
  • A few developers really want some sort of marketplace for extensions (6 requests)

Next step: some form of roundtable to reach out to developers to go over these results and what we are doing to address some of the big requests

Compatibility Update

  • 83.5% of add-ons compatible with 3.1

  • Will kick off 3.5 project plan this week so we can be ready for the version change.


Webdev

Just what’s in the wiki

  • Fraud form released last week – read David’s post on this

  • AMO 5.0.3 code freeze is today
  • Socorro – work week this week, focusing on performance and architecture
  • Austin, Lars, Les are here this week so say hi if you see them. :)


L10n


Foundation Updates


Roundtable


Other Business

5-March-2009

Firefox 3.1 Meeting Minutes: 2009-03-04

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — bsmedberg @ 12:00 am

Firefox3.1/StatusMeetings/2009-03-04

From MozillaWiki

« previous week | index | next week »

Firefox Product Delivery Meeting Details

  • Wednesdays – Firefox 3 – 11:00am Pacific, 2:00pm Eastern, 19:00 UTC

  • Mozilla Building S
  • 650-903-0800 or 650-215-1282 x92 Conf# 8605 (US/INTL)
  • 1-800-707-2533 (pin 369) Conf# 8605 (US)
  • irc.mozilla.org #shiretoko for backchannel

NOTE: See Platform#Meeting_Notes for development meeting notes


Firefox 3.0.x

  • Firefox 3.0.7

    • Shipping today!

    • Semi-related, Thunderbird 2.0.0.21 will ship in a couple of weeks with fixes on par with Firefox 3.0.7
  • Firefox 3.0.8
    • Targeting a mid-April release


Firefox 3.1 Development

Development Update

  • full platform meeting notes available from yesterday

  • at 100 blockers without fixes for final ship, with an average find-fix rate of 25 blockers/week
  • code complete for beta 3!
  • several Firefox team sprints have been completed and will soon land on trunk; we’ll evaluate them for branch. Some examples:
    • replace PFS with a much friendlier experience

    • always allow users to add a search engine for any website
    • refactor Places DB for performance

Daily users (weekly average across versions)

  • 3.1b2 – 380k

  • Shiretoko – 10k
  • Minefield – 10k

Beta 3

  • code freeze is today

  • builds expected to start 11am PST March 04
  • QA expected to start 9am PST March 05
  • QA expected to complete 9am PST March 12
  • expected ship date 2pm PST March 12
  • Firefox 3.1 Beta3 RRRT page is ready to go

Version numbering

  • 3.1 -> 3.5 to indicate increased scope

  • will need to figure out how to update all our tools effectively (build, bugzilla, AMO, etc.) — detailed plan coming this week
  • beta 3 will still be shipped under 3.1 moniker
  • labels existing increase in scope vs original 3.1 plan, not a willingness to further increase scope


Support

  • 12 3.1 cases out of 1801

    • All fixed (detachable tabs, AVG screwing with Enter in location bar etc)


Localization

  • 7 late-l10n requests, the list

  • Fennec on the l10n dashboard, blog posts about that are up by Pike and stas
  • when do we want to consider a l10n-freeze for b4? (beltzner)
    • want to spend some of the time hunting down untranslated/mistranslated strings there (axel)

    • earlier better of course (axel)
    • suggest 2 weeks after b3 launch (beltzner)


QA


Release Engineering

  • Ready to ship 3.0.7

  • Ready to build 3.1b3
  • Need to do some testing to find any weirdness with 3.1 -> 3.5 version change.


Add-Ons

  • Compatibility status

    • At 80%, up 1% from the week before. Developers still waiting on the next beta.


Partners


Evangelism

  • Docs are done

  • Paul – SA demo – http://www.mozbox.org/pub/sa/
    • Going to do another screencast for beta3.
  • beta3 announcement on web-tech – what’s changed?
  • Firefox Beta Twitter user?


Marketing/PR

  • Plan in place for promoting Fx beta-3 via start page snippet; will add download CTA button and update text on all-beta.html page. Snippet will go into rotation 3-5 days after beta-3 release


Roundtable

  • Release Rapid Response Team Page for Firefox 3.0.7 is now up –> here – Tomcat

4-March-2009

Thunderbird Meeting Minutes: 2009-03-03

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — bsmedberg @ 12:00 am

Thunderbird/StatusMeetings/2009-03-03

From MozillaWiki

last meeting | index | next week »

Thunderbird Meeting Details :


Agenda

  • Who’s taking minutes? –> Standard8

  • Minute taking Schedule. Talk to davida for schedule changes/additions.


Action Items


New


Open


Closed

  • rebron: add marketing section along side q/a section


Thunderbird 3 Beta 2

Completed


Thunderbird 3 Beta 3


Thunderbird 3


QA Updates

  • Need better visibility on upcoming features in order to plan testing.

  • Working on getting more people to come testing.
  • Last test day better than previous one.
  • Crash-stats seems to be usable – very responsive due to added db indexes.
  • Top Crashes ordered by assignee may need some triage


Marketing Updates

  • Good launch of Tb3 beta 2 and new web site. About 35k beta 2 users. Got positive feedback on the web site.

  • Working on next round of updates for the web site.
  • Participating with the overall Mozilla Community marketing efforts which is picking up steam.
  • Focus on the next few weeks is working on getting add-ons upgraded and supported from a marketing perspective.


Roundtable


Status Updates


davida
  • a lot of non-TB stuff (recruiting, talking to industry folks, etc.)

  • some driving

Goals:

  • move ahead on bug 436555

  • figure out plan for poptarts w/ Standard8


dmose
  • Last week

    • lots Tb3/3.0b3-driving work

    • misc reviews
    • fixed debug mode crash bug 479906
    • worked improving message header (more) widget bug 480073
    • high-level project health discussions
  • Goals for this week
    • get basic Tb3 and 3.0b3 schedules drafted

    • 1 hr per day code review
    • finish message-header (more) patch bug 480073
    • draft SF space plan


nth10sd
  • Bugdays, QA, triage etc.

  • bug 479989 – Successful QA.
    • Input response time of “hide details” and “other actions” buttons is inappropriately impacted by size of recipient list
  • JS: Extensive flux still going on in main platform JS code, notably heavyweight patch bug 452498, finding testcases there often.


Standard8
  • Reviews

  • Fixed bug 405762 Remove the phonetic fields from vcard editing as they aren’t valid for vcards.
  • Fixed bug 480127 about:rights info bar should use “open source software” not “open software”.
  • Fixed bug 479982 Adding a vcard from an email does not work.
  • Fixed Core bug 480324 Link state detection on Mac OS X not always working (offline, auto detect) – waiting a few days before nominating for 1.9.1.
  • Spent some time debugging going offline and downloading messages (bug 471695

Two week goals:

  • Reduce review backlog to zero

  • bug 450134 – Autocomplete perf improvement (inc restore autocomplete on other email addresses).
    • Proposed a patch for this, got review comments, need to improve.
  • bug 440794 – Implement policy for sending in background, pref off to begin with.
  • bug 457296 – Design interfaces for a separate service (i.e. not directly linked to address book) to determine allowing remote images to load or not.


asuth
  • work continues on gloda-search, hope to have a revised implementation that uses heuristics to assign a score to each message (rather than binning it by simply matching on contact, subject, body, or attachment name)

  • gloda i18n indexing correctness patch up for review (the problem is in the emitter/js emitter subsystem), but it will probably be a while before I get to the tokenizer problems.
  • once gloda-search lands, there is a bunch of performance work to still do; Wayne and others are experiencing memory use explosions that we need to understand and address.


bienvenu
  • Reviews and driving/bug triage

  • Fixed several issues in the auto config repo (verifyLogon with cert exceptions, username guessing had regressed, etc), and landed all but one of the backend changes on the trunk – bug 480026.
  • Fixed crash on startup in nsMsgIdentity::getFolderPref, bug 480556
  • Fixed expanding imap folders when not using subscription by sending a performExpand notification bug 472129
  • Fixed bug 439108, maintain copy of offline imap message when move/copying a message.
  • Fixed crash when server gives us empty alert message, bug 479927
  • Fixed bug 481065 – local folder db’s opened unnecessarily on startup
  • Put up patch for review for using IMAP STATUS in IMAP auto sync bug 428266

Plan for next week

  • Figure out plan for autoconfig with Bryan and DavidA

  • work on App Idle for auto sync.
  • Pick up smart folders work again
  • work on miscellaneous b3 blockers.


gozer
  • Build

    • Launched Thunderbird 3 Beta 2!

    • Mac OS X trunk dep/nightly builds
    • Mac OS X Builders now pooled
    • Try server (in progress)
    • Clobberer server (in progress)
  • Web

    • Launched the new website, looking great!

    • Redirecting lots of traffic from mozilla.com
      • Saw > 1,000,000 hits in the last 24 hours

      • > 80k visits in the last 24 hours
      • > 40k unique visits to the 3.0b2 Start page in the last 96 hours
  • Infrastructure

    • Crash tested failure of one of our front-facing nodes, no noticeable downtime.

    • Starting to push out real traffic now, no significant issues. (>3Mbit/s)
    • Need some sort of analytics process for all this yummy log goodness.
  • Still recovering from the sick… bleh


clarkbw


wsmwk
  • crash, threading/missing messages, filter and profile bugs

  • pushed on crash-stats and litmus issues
    • crash-status is much improved


beckley


Penelope
  • Fixed bug 480899 where the auto-save attachments folder pref wasn’t being used

  • In the process of syncing to TB 3.0 beta 2 sources


KaiRo


philipp / Calendar


rkent


rebron


Tsk
  • prepared test day

  • Walked through all open printing bugs
  • Will attend the end of MozCamp/Utrecht
  • Working on Tb3b3 plan.
  • Two week goals :

    • Try to communicate more effectively

    • explain what and why QA is important – to try to get w few more people onboard
    • Plan tb3.0b3 testing


Attendees

Mozilla Platform Meeting Minutes: 2009-03-03

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — bsmedberg @ 12:00 am

Platform/2009-03-03

From MozillaWiki

« previous week | index | next week »


Notices / Schedule

Firefox 3.0.7

  • Shipping tomorrow!

Firefox 3.0.8

  • Code freeze March 17

Thunderbird 2.0.0.21

  • Code freeze happened two days late, but good enough

  • Builds made
  • On track to ship mid-March

Firefox 3.1 Beta 3

  • Important Dates:

    • Code freeze: March 3rd, 5pm PST

    • QA Start: March 4th, 9am PST
    • Release March 10th, 2pm PST


Blocker Report

Since 1.9.1 branch …

Past 2 weeks …

[ Platform Blocker Queries | Front End Blocker Queries ]


Firefox 3.1 Update

  • Polish update: Firefox is 40% shiny (+2% over last week)

    • Thanks go to: kev, highmind63 (fixed 2 bugs) and Dao (fixed 5 bugs)

    • 50 remaining easy polish bugs (whiteboard [polish-easy])
    • 34 remaining hard polish bugs(whiteboard [polish-hard])


GFX 1.9.1 Update

  • Bug status:

    • 4 blocking 1.9.1+

    • 1 unknown imglib topcrasher; joe’s working on it, but we can’t reproduce, and crash reporter stacks are mostly worthless.
    • 1 Security
    • 1 imglib followon patch
    • 1 crasher fix
    • 0 nom
  • Focus:
    • Finishing remaining blockers


Layout 1.9.1 Update

  • Layout

    • 6 blockers

    • Current work: multiple backgrounds (dbaron), frame constructor (bzbarsky), Cleartype ink issues (jkew), CSS gradients (ventnor), incremental reflow (bzbarsky)
  • SVG
    • 2 blockers
  • Video/Audio
    • 13 blockers

    • Major items remaining: A/V sync (doublec), block cache (roc), new load algorithm (cpearce) (done), seek performance (doublec) other spec updates, codec code audit issues (getting done)
  • NO untriaged noms


Content 1.9.1 Update

  • 14 blockers

    • 4 P1 blockers, bug 479490 JS timeout related crash regression (smaug and bent), bug 333198 and bug 480767 sync XHR input event suppression bugs (smaug, ready to land), and bug 479442 JS wrapper related regression (mrbkap, has patch).

    • There are 5 bugs that need landing.
    • 8 blocker bugs without patch.
    • bnewman took a break from parsing work and helped fix blocker bug bug 478438


JS 1.9.1


Mobile 1.9.1 Update


Security


Security Reviews

Still outstanding / to be scheduled

  • native JSON

  • DNS prefetching

Booked but not yet completed


Tree Management

Greener tinderbox

  • clint to set up 3 machines (one for each platform) and run it for a week to log random-oranges; clint will also compare VM to native to see if there are problems caused by that

    • clint to file bugs to get machines set up

    • clint to talk to alice about her experience
  • Getting crash stacks from Talos

    • patches are up, pending review?alice.

    • Will need some testing on talos-staging before being deployed
    • Do we want this for unit tests also? How urgently?
  • Run unit tests on packaged builds bug 421611, bug 383136

    • Mochitest bits all landed

    • Reftest about halfway done, expect to finish this week
    • XPCshell still an unknown, probably ~2 weeks more work


Roundtable

  • What the status on getting a plan done for out of process plugins? bug 478976

  • Ignoring sporadic oranges is bad (beltzner)

3-March-2009

Places Meeting Minutes: 2009-03-02

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — bsmedberg @ 12:01 am

Places/Status Meetings/2009-03-02

From MozillaWiki

« previous week | index | next week »

Places Team Meeting Details

  • Mondays at 9:00am Pacific

  • irc.mozilla.org #places


Work Priorities

  • Blockers (1, http://tinyurl.com/5zpgx7)

    • One blocker owned by dietrich should be closed out this week.
  • Wanted 29, http://is.gd/iW01)
    • Will re-triage these once we have a better plan for what is going to happen with 3.1
  • Bugs targeting 3.1 (19 from 26, http://tinyurl.com/7cvrs7)
    • Will re-triage these once we have a better plan for what is going to happen with 3.1
  • Possible Wontfix (3 from 2, http://tinyurl.com/ajqgm7)
  • Places bugs on m-c but not yet on 1.9.1 (45 from 33, http://tinyurl.com/686pp9)
    • This is big. We need to make sure we have things requesting approval that are safe to land on branch.

    • Bug owners should ask for approval and dietrich will triage later today.


QA Issues

From last meeting, the following things had open action items:

  • Everything is A-OK


Status updates

  • sdwilsh

    • need to finish up work on bug 480211, then it is back to async location bar searches.
  • mak

  • adw
    • Re: sprint bug 480340:

      • Setup MySQL DB to collect places stats (thanks sdwilsh) which you can POST to at http://adw.forerunnerdesigns.com/places/ (and also GET for a table of people who have POSTed)

      • Updated JS script that compiles places stats:
        • Computes number of livemark containers

        • Computes number of livemark children
        • Computes a places DB “ID” to associate with stats
        • POSTs to aforementioned web site
      • So now we only need to get people to copy and paste the JS into their JS consoles, and the rest is taken care of. But, is there an easier way than using the JS console?
    • bug 451151 finished, checked in
  • ddahl
    • sprint patch is up bug 479089 – Dietrich would like more configuration options. Looking at that today. Would love more feedback. Tests by ddahl and adw.

    • working on bug 410196 just need a more “permanent fix”, current patch is not comprehensive.
    • Patch up for an autocomplete test bug 479089 (needs review)
    • In contact with Tracy about the test suite for the PlacesController, etc. Added Tracy’s spreadsheet bug 475977 will start on those this week.
    • Finished off some non-places work last week related to the updater.

Other:

  • Bugs with dev-doc-needed (http://is.gd/iVWS)

    • mak77 will go through his bugs and fix missing docs

From last meeting, the following things had open action items:

  • need documentation on how to write SQL queries against the places back-end, for core developers.

    • Invariants and triggers (sdwilsh)

    • Check over existing documentation for outdated information (sdwilsh)


Roundtable

  • B4 targets, create a list of bugs/features we could work on for B4, and evaluate current approval queue.

    • will use wanted flag.

    • dietrich will re-triage wanted so we can safely use this.
  • Favicons expiration

    • bug 460300 and followup bug 476636: users don’t expect them expiring with cache (bug 480873)

    • Need to establish when exactly the cache is cleared, and then evaluate our options

Mozilla Project Meeting Minutes: 2009-03-02

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — bsmedberg @ 12:00 am

WeeklyUpdates/2009-03-02

From MozillaWiki

« previous week | index | next week »

Meeting Details

  • 1:00pm Pacific time (21:00 UTC until March 8, 2009)

  • Mozilla HQ, 1st floor conference table
  • +1 650 903 0800 x92 Conf# 8600 (US/International)
  • +1 416 848 3114 x92 Conf# 8600 (Canada)
  • +1 800 707 2533 (pin 369) Conf# 8600 (US Toll Free)
  • sip:weeklystatus@mozilla.com from generic SIP clients
  • http://air.mozilla.com/ to watch and listen
  • join irc.mozilla.org #staffmeeting for backchannel

note: all participants are muted automatically; if you want to talk, press *1 to un-mute yourself

TIME CHANGE NOTICE: Daylight Saving Time (DST) begins this Sunday. New meeting time next week will be 20:00 UTC.

WeeklyUpdate Live: You can watch the weekly meetings live at Air Mozilla


Friends of the Tree

Please send FotT nominations to asa@mozilla.org. This is a great opportunity for the community to recognize those who go above and beyond, so please tell me when you see that happening. Thanks.


Development Updates


Branch work: Firefox 3.0.x / Thunderbird 2.0.0.x

  • Firefox 3.0.7

    • Shipping this Wednesday, March 4
  • Firefox 3.0.8
    • Code freeze is March 17 at 11:59pm

    • Release in mid-April
  • Thunderbird 2.0.0.21
    • Fixes in sync with Firefox 3.0.7

    • Code complete yesterday
    • Off to build
    • Aiming for mid-March release


Gecko 1.9.1

  • 10 Bugs still blocking beta 3. New patches for JSON bugs on the JS list, others are making progress. We’ve already made the call to do another beta, and over the next 24-48 hours we’re deciding which of the beta 3 blockers will move into beta 4.

  • Other areas are looking pretty good to wrap up blockers soon:
    • 13 final blocker bugs left in content.

    • 3 GFX final blockers.
    • 3 Layout final blockers.
    • 2 SVG final blockers.
    • JS with 46 blockers.
  • Component leads are checking nom queues daily. 26 noms are in the queue right now.
  • For weekly engineering meeting notes and other info see the Platform page.
  • Interesting queries related to Gecko 1.9.1
  • 90 1.9.1 blockers (last week: 108).


Firefox 3.1

Firefox Front End Work

  • Front-end blockers looking good: only 9 blockers without patches remaining, only two of which are complicated

  • Team is now working on code sprints for items that could opportunistically be taken for Firefox 3.1, but will be taken on trunk. The goal is chunking work into small, rapidly achievable solutions.

Beta 3 Progress


TB 3


Mobile

Beta 1 is in testing, scheduled to release by end of week.

UI walkthrough

Weekly Meeting notes


IT


Release Engineering

  • Unit tests on try server! Linux only right now, win32 and mac coming soon Thanks to Lukas Blakk
  • FF 3.0.7 pushed to beta channel
  • TB 2.0.0.21 starting today (Nick doing this one)
  • Talos regression detection sending alerts to dev.tree-management


QA

Test Execution

  • Please Welcome Aakash Desai and Krupa Raj to the QA team!

  • Fx3.0.7 shipped to beta
  • TB 2.0.0.21 testing begins this week
  • 119 1.9.1 branch bugs verified last week
  • QA at CEbit this week [tomcat, timr]

Test Development

  • Worked on SpiderMonkey 1.8.0 release. Waiting on a couple of bugs to land before cutting the tag and posting the tarball

  • CSS Transforms tests landed with many thanks to dholbert for his help
  • The first attempt at QAC notifications has landed
  • Testing Fennec Maemo Beta 1, it’s looking good
  • Mozmill 1.1 is almost ready to go: remaining blockers


Security

No updates.


Marketing/PR

General

  • Mozilla.com website optimization testing:

    • Running an A/B test on the Firefox download page sometime in March

    • Goal is to try and improve visit to Firefox download conversion.
    • Dynamic content based on visitor’s browser (browser sniffing)
    • More details soon at http://giantspatula.com.
  • Social Actions “Change the Web Challenge” is kicking off a series of online chats. Join Zak Greant & Suneel Gupta to tomorrow to discuss the Mozilla platform and social change at 11 a.m. PST (Mar. 3rd). RSVP & details here here.
  • Next Community Marketing call is this Wednesday, March 11th, at 10am PDT. Dial-in Info: +1.650.903.0800, followed by 92# and then 7391#. Or you can use our toll-free number: +1.800.707.2533, followed by 369# and then 7391#. For those that can’t make the call or want to participate online, join us in #marketing on irc.mozilla.org.

PR

  • Mitchell interviewed by German newspaper FAZ

Events

  • CeBIT, Mar. 3 – 8, 2009, Hannover, Germany: Chris Hofmann, Jane Finette, Tim Riley, Tomcat and Kai Engert attending on Mozilla’s behalf. Chris and Tim are both speaking.

  • SxSW, March 13 – 17, 2009, Austin, Texas: Brendan Eich & Arun Rangnathan participating in browser panel again on March 16th and John Resig speaking on JS libraries on March 14th. Labs holding a get together on March 16th at 4:30 pm at the Moonshine Grill.


Support

  • Next Monday, March 9th at 10 AM PDT, we’ll have a special SUMO community meeting where all SUMO contributors are encouraged to call in

    • Opportunity to provide direct feedback or ask any questions about SUMO, help planning the upcoming Support Firefox Day, and much more

    • If you’re a SUMO community member, please call in!
    • Read more in the blog post: Contributors open meeting March 9th 10 AM PDT


Metrics

  • Market Share

    • Firefox continued to gain market share in February. Check out the full report from Net Applications.


Evangelism

  • Mozilla Developer Center

    • Mostly minor changes to documentation this past week.

    • Evaluation and discussion about the impending Lyons release of Deki is ongoing. We hope to upgrade to this a few weeks after it ships, which should be in about a month.


Labs


Developer Tools


Add-ons

  • 5.0.3 code freeze 3/8

    • Link sharing

    • week over week dashboards
    • Bayesian sorting of rated add-ons
    • ‘About AMO’ page
    • Ability for editors to subscribe to add-on changes
  • Q1 retrospective and Q2 planning
  • Compatibility update
    • 80% of add-ons compatible with Fx3.1, up 1% from previous week


Webdev


L10n

  • Fennec is now on the l10n dashboard for localizers to see the status of their builds.

  • Axel continues to work with RelEng on l10n build related issues

For other updates, please read the recent posts from our team members’ blogs:


Foundation Updates

  • The Mozilla Education planet is now live and accepting additions of blogs for people involved with education and Mozilla.

  • Frank and Armen Zambrano-Gasparnian of Seneca College will be attending the Integrating FOSS into the Undergraduate Computing Curriculum symposium March 4 in Chattanooga TN on behalf of the Mozilla project. Frank will be appearing on a panel and Armen will be doing video interviews with symposium participants.
  • David worked on the www.mozilla.org redesign project, including working with Mark, Sam and fantasai on a “big picture” document and other wiki planning pages, and blogging about other sites to look to as good examples.
  • David will be hosting a brown bag session on the www.mozilla.org redesign on March 12 at 1pm Pacific time.
  • We’ve started the public comment period for a CA request from ComSign (bug 420705).


Roundtable


Other Business

« Newer Posts

Powered by WordPress