Meeting Notes

18-July-2011

Mozilla Project Meeting Minutes: 2011-07-18

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 11:00 pm

WeeklyUpdates/2011-07-18


« previous week | index | next week »

<script>if (window.showTocToggle) { var tocShowText = “show”; var tocHideText = “hide”; showTocToggle(); } </script>

Video for today’s meeting

<video controls=”controls”><source src=”http://videos.mozilla.org/serv/air_mozilla/monday_meetings/status-2011-07-18.ogg” type=”video/ogg; codecs=”theora, vorbis””/></video>

Friends of the Tree

Cameron McCormack for finding a simple way of drastically reducing the time required to run our debug tests. 479352

Upcoming Events

This Week

Monday, 18 July

Tuesday, 19 July

Diary Studies from a Google Researcher, Andrea Knight

  • 10Forward – noon

  • Diary studies can be a great technique if you’re trying to understand a user’s behavior over the course of a week or two, but can’t observe them the whole time. Learn how to make sure your diary study is successful and helps you answer your hypothesis.

Wednesday, 20 July

Community Marketing Call:

  • 10 a.m. PDT/17:00 UTC/19:00 CET.

  • In-progress agenda and dial-in info here.

Mobile Ethnography study examples from AnswerLabs

  • 2CYA-Noon

  • A SF-based user research agency which worked with us before, AnswerLab, recently presented a case study of a mobile ethnography they conducted with Wells Fargo at the UPA Conference. They will share the presentation with us again with more details on Wednesday.
  • It would be a good way to spend you lunch time if you are interested to know more about early-stage user research, or just to hang out for mobile related user findings.

Thursday, 21 July

Bitcoin: A Technical Introduction

Brownbag, Thursday, 21 July, 12:00 noon, 10-Forward (also on Air Mozilla)

Brian Warner will explain the cryptographic protocols, economicincentives, and proof-of-work system in Bitcoin, a new decentralized digital currency that’s been in the news recently. Slides are available at <a href=”http://people.mozilla.com/~bwarner/bitcoin/“>[n]</a> .

<p>Friday, 22 July

</p>

Next Week

Product Status Updates

Firefox Future (6, 7, 8)

  • Updates live again on all trains after the most recent migration

  • Seeing double digit aurora channel growth again
    • (And, anecdotally, lots of love for the memory improvements there)
  • Blog post coming on release timing in rapid release, since there’s still a lot of uncertainty

Firefox Current (3.5, 3.6, 4.0, 5.0)

  • The <a href=”https://wiki.mozilla.org/Releases/Firefox_3.6.20“>Firefox 3.6.20</a> (used to be called 3.6.19, which was then used by the 10.7 out-of-band release) schedule is now posted

    • Shipping at the same time as Firefox 6 (August 16)

    • Code freeze for non-blockers: 2011-07-25
    • Code freeze for blockers: 2011-08-01

Mobile Firefox

Thunderbird

Thunderbird 6 is going to Beta this week.

Drumbeat

Speakers

The limit is 3 minutes per speaker. It’s like a lightning talk, but don’t feel that you have to have slides in order to make a presentation.

Title

Presenter

Topic

Media

More Details
New uses of popcorn.js

Brett Gaylor

Popcorn.js – the butt kicking HTML5 media framework

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7968133/popcornmonday.pdf

<a href=”http://www.popcornjs.org“>www.popcornjs.org</a>

http://www.popcornjs.org
Mozilla’s Local Communities

David Boswell

New pages that highlight Mozilla’s local communities around the world

<a href=”http://www.mozilla.org/contribute/local/africamideast.html“>Africa and the Middle East</a>

<a href=”http://www.mozilla.org/contribute/local/asia.html“>Asia and the South Pacific</a>

<a href=”http://www.mozilla.org/contribute/local/europe.html“>Europe</a>

<a href=”http://www.mozilla.org/contribute/local/latinamerica.html“>Latin America</a>

Status Updates By Team

Firefox

Platform

Messaging

Mobile

IT

Release Engineering

QA

Test Execution
</dt>
  • Shipped Firefox 6 beta 2 for Mobile to Android Market

  • working through a qa sync and load environment within the team
  • Mobile QA and Services QA workweek this week (offsite on 7/19)

WebQA
</dt>

QA Community
</dt>
Automation Services
</dt>
  • Upcoming QA Automation Services work week in Cambridge, on July 25th – 29th

Automation & Tools

Security

Engagement

PR

Events

Creative Team

Community Marketing

Support

Metrics

Evangelism

Labs

  • BrowserID is launched! Follow identity.mozilla.com for updates, come talk to us if you have ideas!

Developer Tools

Add-ons

Webdev

L10n

People Team

Introducing New Hires

  • Carmen Collins is joining the User Engagement team as ‘Content Editor’ [Jane Finette]

  • Aakash Desai has officially joined the Contributor Engagement team as a product manager for the Mozillians platform. [Mary Colvig]
  • Irving Reid has joined the Thunderbird Team. [Blake Winton]
  • Allison Naaktgeboren: Joining the Services team, managed by Mike Connor, located in Mtn. View Office.
  • Randell Jesup: Joining the Layout team, managed by Rob O’Callahan, located in Pennsylvania.
  • Brad Fuellenbach: converting from seasonal employee to full-time on the Recruiting team, managed by Bret Reckard, located in Mtn. View Office.
  • Gregory Szorc: Joining the Services team, managed by Mike Connor, located in Mtn. View Office.
  • Erica Muxlow has joined Infra Ops as the ‘Infrastructure Project Manager’ [mrz]
  • Chenxia Liu: Joining the Services team, managed by Mike Connor, located in Massachusetts.
  • James Murdock: Joining the Legal team, managed by Harvey Anderson, located in Mtn. View Office.
  • Fabien Cazenave has joined as a contractor working on the editor component in Gecko. [ehsan]

Foundation Updates

Roundtable

13-July-2011

Mobile Meeting Minutes: 2011-07-13

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 11:00 pm

Mobile/Notes/13-Jul-2011


Details

  • Wednesdays – 9:30am Pacific, 12:30pm Eastern, 16:30 UTC

  • 650-903-0800 or 650-215-1282 x92 Conf# 8605 (US/INTL)
  • 1-800-707-2533 (pin 369) Conf# 8605 (US)
  • irc.mozilla.org #mobile for backchannel

Schedule

  • Fennec 8 (nightly)

    • This is the active development trunk
  • Fennec 7 (aurora)
    • Need to move only required fixes from trunk (as those fixes are made)
  • Fennec 6 (beta)
    • Live in the Android Market

Major Topics for This Week

  • Aurora – Should we add to Android Market?

    • The decision was made to give Marketing 30 days to increase the current Aurora ADUs. After 30 days, we’ll look at the numbers and decide if Android Market is still required.
  • Wiki Feature Page enhancements are live for Mobile too

Application

Front-end

  • Work for Fx8

    • Tablet UI

      • need to check with UX on design status
    • Selecting text in web content followup bugs
      • Patch up for some fixes
    • Language picker support for locales on AMO
      • Process of getting XPIs to AMO

      • Deal with nightly breakage
    • Basic webapp support – landed
      • Some followups landed too

      • Need to “appify” the tab
      • Need to support manifest approach… somehow
    • Master Password
      • Address review comments

      • File some follow up bugs
    • Mobile friendly error pages
      • Patches up for review/ux feedback
  • Let’s make sure we are working on other bugs and minor features too

UX design

Platform Support

Android

  • Landed a patch to get better (/valid) crashreporter reports. Are we seeing that on Nightly?

  • NDKr5 should be deployed to build slaves now/soon
    • once its landed we’ll test a few builds with try to confirm functionality and perf

    • then we’ll land updated mozconfigs
  • NDKr6 was released this week
    • no major toolchain changes, no update required for build slaves

    • new tool to get stack traces from logcat output
  • Application install permissions
    • We added a way for the platform to see the network type

    • This adds a new permission request at installation
    • This will break automated updates
      • If a user selected “always update”, this change will break that. This change will require a manual update.

Maemo

Performance

Testing

QA

Test Suites

Test Automation

Release Engineering

priorities page

  • 6.0b2

    • QA is testing our 6.0b1 0.8-automation staging release.

    • We should be good to go with a dual desktop/mobile release for 6.0b2.
  • bug 669189 – Still waiting for word from Google re: Android Market
  • Android NDK6 or 5 ?
  • How long to support Maemo?
    • We have a number of bugs with varying levels of requests for support. Not a complete list:

    • bug 669485 – n900s not running on Try
    • bug 670077 – triggering maemo5-gtk and maemo5-qt builds via trychooser
    • bug 548551 – /builds/scratchbox/users/cltbld/home/cltbld/.ssh is continuously remounted on linux slaves
    • bug 548334 – puppet should be setting the ‘sbox’ service to on
    • bug 544713 – update binutils used for maemo builds
    • bug 551475 – debug builders for maemo
    • bug 630475 – maemo single locale deb / build doesn’t start

Other

  • New SUMO Mobile coordinator – Michelle Luna

  • Test Pilot for Mobile is functional and in QA. (talk to Jono)

Firefox/Gecko Delivery Meeting Minutes: 2011-07-13

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 11:00 pm

Firefox/Planning/2011-07-13


« previous week | index | next week »

Planning Meeting Details

  • Wednesdays – 11:00am PDT, 18:00 UTC

  • Mountain View Offices: Warp Core Conference Room
  • Toronto Offices: Fin du Monde Conference Room
  • 650-903-0800 or 650-215-1282 x92 Conf# 8605 (US/INTL)
  • 1-800-707-2533 (pin 369) Conf# 8605 (US)
  • irc.mozilla.org #planning for backchannel
  • (the developer meeting takes place on Tuesdays)
REMEMBER

These notes are read by people who weren’t able to attend the meeting. Please make sure to include links and context so they can be understood.

<script>if (window.showTocToggle) { var tocShowText = “show”; var tocHideText = “hide”; showTocToggle(); } </script>

Actions from Last Week

None!

Schedule & Progress on Upcoming Releases

Firefox Desktop

Release (3.6, 5.0)

  • Firefox 5.0.1 and 3.6.19 went out on Tuesday (background)

    • Shipped mac-only updates

    • Updated the website download buttons 5.0.1 for all platforms
    • For more details, see Christian’s blog post

Beta (6)

  • Going to ask for a (non-urgent) build today

    • This build will have js PGO turned off again (it’s currently on) as we don’t intend to ship with it (accidentally had it enabled through a comedy of errors, whoops)

    • Christian still needs to check with mobile before sending a go
    • Christian still needs to check on beta approvals before sending the go

Aurora (7)

  • Daily updates are being generated and offered

Nightly (8)

  • bug 663259 – [Mac] Async Plugin should default to true

  • bug 571454 – Back button does not work along edge of screen
  • bug 661910 – Windows XULRunner Aurora 6 SDK is missing
  • bug 592833 – Reduce thread usage of media elements
  • bug 557226 – [OOPP] plugin name should be reflected in Mac OS X plugin process names

Firefox Mobile

5

  • Didn’t create a 5.0.1 because the issues only affected desktop Mac

6

  • Will be built at the same time (from the same changeset) as desktop

7

8

Firefox Sync

Add-on Builder Beta!

Add-on SDK 1.0

Input 4.1

Feedback Summary

  • Youtube broke (all on-site videos were solid black) on 7/8, works over https. It was fixed the next day but users needed to clear cache. (Some users also had to disable zynga toolbar).

  • Beta (6) feedback: Extensions, extensions, extensions. And Firefox updates too often.

Press & Public Reactions

Questions, Comments and Highlights

Actions this week

  • Asa to write up a post-facto feature page on async plugin painting on mac

12-July-2011

SeaMonkey Meeting Minutes: 2011-07-12

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 11:00 pm

SeaMonkey/StatusMeetings/2011-07-12


« last meeting | index | next meeting »

SeaMonkey Meeting Details

<script>if (window.showTocToggle) { var tocShowText = “show”; var tocHideText = “hide”; showTocToggle(); } </script>

Agenda

  • Who’s taking minutes? -> Ratty

  • Nominees for Friends of the Fish Tank?
    • Ewong for helping to get todays meeting agenda up on the wiki.

    • IanN for all his patches and reviews during the last fortnight.
    • Neil for putting up with all of IanNs review requests ;)
    • Please note A person or entity can’t be nominated twice in a row.

Action Items

(who needs to do what that hasn’t been recorded in a bug) We should assign people to the open items.

NEW

OPEN

  • IanN to triage the 2.2-tracking bugs, and move as needed to the appropriate target version.

  • More people need to help out with taking of the meeting notes. Ratty to send an email to SeaMonkey-members list summarizing what needs doing and asking for people to share duties.
  • We should find a better way of getting nominees for Friends of the Fish Tank.
    • We could put out a call for nominations the week before then, at the time of the meeting notice going out we could include any nominations (We need to come up with a quick FAQ as to what merits a nomination). IanN to put out an email to the members list and then try and compile the FAQ from the responses.

CLOSED

  • IanN to triage the 2.1-wanted and 2.1-nominated bugs, and move any that are appropriate to 2.2 [Done].

K.I.V.

  • Get permission from Google to use their geolocation JSON service [KaiRo]. We can still only wait on the Google front right now. Didn’t hear anything about open Geolocation service yet. No easy solution in sight.

Release Train

  • SeaMonkey will directly go to the permanent repositories, i.e. -aurora, -beta in addition to -central. Miramar is a Thunderbird-only release branch (as is comm-2.0 for SeaMonkey).

  • For comm-aurora, we also should regard strings there as much frozen as possible. In the future, string freeze is the uplift from central to aurora, which matches Firefox.
  • If we have any actual fixes that don’t need L10n changes (not enhancements) on central but not beta, they should go there if possible.
  • SeaMonkey comm-aurora and comm-beta are buildable and tinderbox has run tests against them.
  • Callek is working on getting comm-aurora and comm-beta on MXR (bug 653424).
  • The correct version numbers are now on the release train.
  • We have released 2.2!
  • 5th July : Merged for both mozilla and comm repositories.
  • 2.3 should go into beta then and then we’ll have 5 weeks to release. Target release date is 16th August.
  • Bug authors have been doing a fairly good job of requesting relevant approvals for the comm-aurora/beta.

Extensions Compatibility Tracking

  • Addon Compatibility Listings created and maintained by InvisibleSmiley.

    • InvisibleSmiley moved Dictionary Switcher to “AMO”, removed “under review” from MailNews Status Icons; moved FireFTP and Copy URL + to “External Sources”, added IE Tab + and Scriptish to “AMO”

    • DERoss added Signature Switch to “Needs Addition to install.rdf”
    • The FAQ should be version-agnostic and have version updates mentioned in it so Jens or whoever won’t need to keep changing the version numbers.
  • Fallen has just set Lightning 1.0b4 on AMO to be 2.2.* compatible.
  • AMO has a compatible version of Engimail now, and an experimental one for Lightning. Unfortunately these two Calendar extensions must be sought under Thunderbird and “All versions”.
  • Besides Lightning, we should also take a look at other add-ons that are important for our users when they switch to 2.1.
  • InvisibleSmiley created a 2.1 FAQ Wiki page. Everybody please help update it.
  • KaiRo created a SeaMonkey Features page and sub-pages for all those that are in development.

SeaMonkey 2.2

open tracking (5)
tracking requests (2)
targeted (0)
fixed (35)

  • SeaMonkey 2.2 was released on 8th July 2011, based on Gecko/Mozilla 5.0 and Available in 21 languages, for Windows, Mac OS X and Linux.

  • The New 2.2 Features page has a comprehensive list of features.
  • AUS updates from (2.0 -> 2.2 and 2.1 -> 2.2):
    • 2.1->2.2 is a minor update and should be online as automatic already.

    • 2.0->2.2 is a major update (MU), and IIRC Callek said it’s online on beta.
  • 2.2 had ~9300 ADU yesterday, 25405 downloads so far.

SeaMonkey 2.3

open tracking (7)
tracking requests (5)
targeted (1)
fixed (6)

Further 2.x scheduling

  • Current release notes are for 2.2. Once we have 2.3 or later, relnotes need to be updated.

  • Please help updating the New 2.3 Features page as we go.

Feature List, Planning

Bug statistics for last two (full) weeks: 70 new, 22 fixed, 36 triaged.

  • New bugs seem to be outstripping fixed/triaged but still a good amount of triaging going on.

  • Good further triage targets could come out of looking at the component bug counts, pick yours!

Open reviews/flags:
40 review
13 super-review
0 ui-review
7 feedback

Major wanted/needed features:

Active

  • bug 606683 Allow customization of toolbar in Composer and MailNews Composition [IanN].

    • A lot of untangling needs to go on between the 3 editors that we have. We can expect a bit of code cleanup for 2.1 but full customization has to go to 2.next as it needs work on TB too which is taking a while to get reviews on, plus feedback from kaze.
  • We need to finish de-RDF bug 654864 (with useless-UI for address book) soon, but none of Neil’s comments on Tb bug 422845 triggered any response, so InvisibleSmiley feels reluctant to continue. Still he uploaded yet another version.
    • IanN filed and fixed a Thunderbird bug (bug 663631 Simplify getParentIndex in folderPane.js and jsTreeView.js) to help move things forward.

Needing help, Unowned, Stalled

  • Kill-RDF:

    • bug 657607 Port jminta’s kill-rdf to SeaMonkey where applicable Part 2 [meta].

    • bug 657604 Remove the RDF global object.
  • bug 436794 Enable Mac OS X system address book per default and add UI.
    • SM UI needed, unowned, helpwanted.
  • bug 449728 Drag tabs between windows.
  • bug 477845 Build a standalone (Gecko 2.0) Composer. [kaze]
    • kaze is currently busy with his new job so doesn’t have any to spend on this.

    • bug 477840 Backport KompoZer to Composer (Depends on bug 477845).
    • kaze has done a ton of work there. We still need to work out some organizational issues. At the moment there is no active interest from MoMo for bringing standalone composer into comm-central. That’s something we (KaiRo and kaze) will have to negotiate with the Thunderbird team (Standard8).
  • bug 507841 Port Bug 422814 – Make account configuration quick, easy, and more secure (autoconfig, Quick Account Setup).
  • bug 533908 SeaMonkey Mail: tabs not restored [misak].
  • bug 523274 Complete new default theme icon set.
  • bug 526210 Update the icon set for the SeaMonkey Modern Theme.
    • bug 548778 New communicator icons (based on Strata theme) for SeaMonkey. Some proposed icons got posted, we should take a look how to get that contribution into the product.

    • The rest is unowned so far.
  • bug 87098 [SeaMonkey] Delete key should delete location bar history list entry.
    • Note: Our location bar history doesn’t and can’t use autocomplete at all.

Roundtable – Personal Status Updates

Status Updates from developers – what are you working on, what’s the progress, any other comments? (feel free to add yourself to the list if your name is missing and you have interesting status).

Aqualon

asrail

Callek

Released:

  • SeaMonkey 2.2.

Fixed:

  • bug 633397 Automatic partial update from 2.1b1 to 2.1b2 build 2 misses extensions.

  • bug 668726 Port bug 449607: change dated dirs on ftp.m.o to use new longer BuildID – Nightly updates currently broken.

Working on:

  • bug 647107 snippet details URL is not secure, can spoof major updates.

  • bug 668461 Port faster priority sorting from bug 649734 to SeaMonkey.
  • bug 668744 Update from 2.0 leaves behind some files in some locales.
  • bug 653424 need to add comm-2.0 and releases/comm-{aurora,beta} to MXR.

Investigating:

  • bug 660745 [SeaMonkey] Install “June 2010 or newer” DirectX SDK.

ewong

  • Fixed:
  • Checkin-needed:

    • bug 512378 – Port |Bug 506985 – remove java-specific preferences from Firefox UI, hidden prefs| to SeaMonkey 2.1

    • bug 513895 – Audit preference panes for duplicate stylesheets
    • bug 599731 – Move “Recently Closed” menus to Go menu
    • bug 621042 – Advanced Account Settings should mention account name
    • bug 633935 – Port |Bug 237376 – Put ‘reply to newsgroup’ on top| to SeaMonkey
    • bug 667829 – No accesskey (keyboard shortcut) for Folder in Add Bookmark dialog
  • Needs Review:

    • bug 78357 – Account wizard doesn’t have place to enter port info

    • bug 668723 – Update removed-files.in for bug 643816
    • bug 670652 – Audit preference stylesheets for duplicate stylesheets
  • Working On:

    • bug 670513 – Recently Closed Windows/tabs have been moved to the Go menu. Document this.
  • Investigating:

    • bug 13818 – Ability to change the “quoteline”

    • bug 16717 – Disable source folder in Move/Copy/File menus
    • bug 39113 – Show current profile name in preferences (backed out)
    • bug 513900 – executable permissions for data files (port bug 461322 to SeaMonkey)
    • bug 527173 – Spellchecker settings are in the Mail section but the SP is used by all components
    • bug 620324 – Selected multiple mail folders to move, but only one folder gets moved
  • BackBurner:

    • bug 649952 – Port |Bug 609824 – Re-add Bloglines to the feed reader options| to SeaMonkey

IanN

  • Usual testing, reviewing and commenting.

  • Fixed:
    • bug 670691 Sync can’t deactivate device – bundle_prefutilities is not defined

    • bug 669291 Fold permissionsNavigatorOverlay.xul into navigator code
    • bug 670010 Remove unused overrideHandler.js file
    • bug 665290 Switch suite/mailnews to use Services.urlFormatter
    • bug 667643 Switch suite to use Services.wm
    • bug 667952 Fold imageContextOverlay.xul into context menu code
    • bug 667662 Switch suite to use Services.io
    • bug 665569 Add GetFileFromString helper for getting File from native path or Url
    • bug 665603 Centralise sound preferences
    • bug 662203 Enhance openLocation so that it can be used by message compose
  • Waiting for review on:
    • bug 638643 Remove obsolete EditorToggleParagraphMarks from editor.js
  • Waiting for additional review on:
    • bug 657161 Make use of contentAreaContext in Composer
  • Working on:
    • bug 670749 Have individual methods for cookie/image/popup menus in navigatorOverlay

    • bug 670750 Move appropriate entites from navigator.dtd to navigatorOverlay.dtd which are only used in navigatorOverlay.xul
    • bug 550484 Hardcoded widths for pref-proxies-advanced and pref-languages.add dialogs
    • bug 606683 Allow customization of toolbar in Composer and MailNews Composition
    • bug 639690 [META] Re-arrange code between editor and editorOverlay
    • bug 657234 Move pasteQuote and pasteNoFormatting into contentAreaContextOverlay
    • File/Folder selection in windows.
  • To Do:
    • bug 639395 Get cmd_fontSize to reflect current state of selected content / content at caret.

    • Prefs-in-a-tab.

InvisibleSmiley

  • Fixed:

    • bug 668993 Sync account wizard does not close after clicking on “Finish”

    • bug 668738 Update SeaMonkey website for 2.2 Beta 3 release
    • bug 667604 Update SeaMonkey website for 2.2 Beta 2 release
    • bug 667966 Fix relnotes link on releases page and add variable for beta relnotes link
    • bug 667333 Add htaccess rules for redirecting nightly relnotes to dev/get-involved [seamonkey2.4a1 404]

KaiRo

  • Helped Callek some more to get SeaMonkey 2.2 Betas moving forward and final coming near, and then get the final 2.2 release out the door, including website updates (bug 668739) as Jens was on vacation.

  • Got Linux64 updates going for SeaMonkey 2.0.*->2.0.14 and 2.1*->2.2, major update will follow once it goes public for the other systems as well (bug 666573).
  • I also helped to get the major update billboards up (bug 668427) on a https website (mozilla.org, in this case).
  • More work on L10n sign-offs for SeaMonkey 2.2 Beta, the amount of locales in 2.2 seem to get to match 2.1 almost or even completely.
  • Went through the first round of sign-offs for aurora 2.4 and beta 2.3 for SeaMonkey.
  • Cared to get all the 2.2 Betas up on the German SeaMonkey website, and the Release Notes updated.
  • Updated the German website for SeaMonkey 2.2, and synched DOMi, SeaMonkey and toolkit localizations for all of -central, -aurora, and -beta.
  • As usual, my blog has more detailed status about my work, and Mozilla Status Board Posts also tell about my next planned steps.

mcsmurf

Misak

Fixed bug 669077 Cleanup sessionstore tests suite. Ports bug 667202 and syncs head.js with FF.

Mnyromyr

MReimer

Neil

Fixed:

  • bug 22112 Thread pane icons should show state of mail (replied, forwarded).

  • bug 541313 Changing image size using Custom Size changes the image but does not display the new height and width correctly — H and W always equal the Actual Size.
  • bug 663919 Search machine icon missing in address field.

Working on:

  • bug 669582 support using the VC++ compiler shipped with the Windows 7.1 SDK.

Ratty

In progress:

  • bug 663343 The “List all Tabs” menu should visually identify which tabs are on-screen (rather than scrolled off).

  • bug 667201 Front end changes for bug 545070: plugin-problem UI shouldn’t say “click here”.

Other:

  • xSidebar ports project:

    • Did updated ports of several extensions for SeaMonkey 2.1 and above including Infolister 0.10.4a, FireFTP 1.99.5, Greasemonkey 0.9.6, Download Statusbar 0.9.7.2 and FavLoc 1.2.1.

    • Also added several version bumped extensions contributed by therube (Copy URL Plus 1.3.2) and Marcelo Bastos (Display Mail User Agent 1.6.5, Mail Redirect 0.7.6.3, Quote Colors 0.3)
  • Tried to organize SeaMonkey users to write to various extension authors encouraging them to update their SeaMonkey extensions for SeaMonkey 2.1 and above. This is now more important with the rapid release train.
  • Bug triage and Bug discussions.
  • End user support and PR in newsgroups and Mozillazine.

Ricardo

sgautherie

  • Fixed SeaMonkey (related) bugs:

    • bug 642420 XPFE autocomplete.xml: investigate removing explicit <children includes=”menupopup”/>

stefanh

Fixed:

  • bug 667299 Turn off ‘ui.click_hold_context_menus’ on Mac.

Working on:

  • bug 553992 No focus rings for buttons in download manager, places window and the update dialog (Toolkit).

  • bug 650642 [Pinstripe] Make the filterdialog and the advanced search dialogs look better (Thunderbird).
  • bug 670532 [Mac] When a download starts, default to open download manager (like other OS).

Any other business?

Mozilla Platform Meeting Minutes: 2011-07-12

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 11:00 pm

Platform/2011-07-12


« previous week | index | next week »

<script>if (window.showTocToggle) { var tocShowText = “show”; var tocHideText = “hide”; showTocToggle(); } </script>

Notices / Schedule

  • Firefox team is at an offsite today

  • Source migration happened last Tuesday, all the resulting updates are on the wire
  • Next mozilla-central → mozilla-aurora source migration is August 16th
  • Goals should be getting locked down

Firefox Development

As mentioned above, Firefox team is offsite this week. Some of the things discussed include:

We’ll try to vidyo in, but are likely to stay muted

GFX

JS

  • We’re trying an experiment of just using mozilla-inbound for landings (the benefits: daily regression resolution, rather than weekly; no need for someone to spend time merging). So for the next two weeks, everything JS is landing in mozilla-inbound, and the TraceMonkey repository is temporarily abandoned. When the two weeks are up we’ll decide whether to return to TM or just use mozilla-inbound.

Layout

Plugins

DOM

Network

Accessibility

Multi-Process

Tree Management

  • Production pool of Windows 64-bit; 5 machines now live this week

    • tracking bug — bug support-win64

    • current bugs that require devs’ attention:
      • (TODO file bug) – make buildsymbols takes 45 mins rather than 5 mins

      • bug 669384 – make buildsymbols fails for leak test builds
      • bug 670915 – make package fails for leak test builds
      • bug 670697 – sporadic make check failures
  • More tegras coming; 40 in boxes here; 160 still being created
    • any help fixing tests would be great list here
  • downtime tonight: faster connection between colos == faster builds
  • The Build Faster meetings will be happening every other week
    • We had a great turnaround and went over a lot of bugs to prioritize

    • Join us at the next meeting and feel free to contribute!
    • Tonight’s downtime will improve downloading binaries to the test machines

Stability Report

  • Bill McCloskey trying to tackle a set of GC related crashes. Instrumentation patch landed on the trunk last week.

  • Meeting with Adobe at the end of July. Working with Josh to compile a list of top crashes, issues, Flash versions – Flash related hangs seem to be the most problematic.

Roundtable

11-July-2011

Mozilla Project Meeting Minutes: 2011-07-11

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 11:00 pm

WeeklyUpdates/2011-07-11


« previous week | index | next week »

<script>if (window.showTocToggle) { var tocShowText = “show”; var tocHideText = “hide”; showTocToggle(); } </script>

Video for today’s meeting

<video controls=”controls”><source src=”http://videos.mozilla.org/serv/air_mozilla/monday_meetings/status-2011-07-11.ogg” type=”video/ogg; codecs=”theora, vorbis””/></video>

Friends of the Tree

Upcoming Events

This Month

The July Dev Derby allows anyone to show the world what they can do with HTML5 video and compete for prizes in the process. Please spread the word and encourage others to participate.

The Dev Derby team is very proud of a successful June Derby and is preparing to announce winners in a couple of weeks.

This Week

Monday, 11 July

Tuesday, 12 July

Wednesday, 13 July

Thursday, 14 July

Friday, 15 July

Next Week

Product Status Updates

Firefox Future (6, 7, 8)

  • The source code migrations took place on Tuesday, 2011-07-05 (on schedule)

    • Thanks to everyone who helped in the war room!
  • We offered Firefox 7 (desktop) to the Aurora channel on Thursday, 2011-07-07
    • There are currently discussions about mobile creating an Aurora channel
  • We offered Firefox 6 (desktop and mobile) to the Beta channel on Friday, 2011-07-08

Firefox Current (3.6, 4.0, 5.0)

  • We created Firefox 5.0.1 and 3.6.19 to work around Mac OS X 10.7 (Lion) issues (see the blog post for details)

    • We had to create an out-of-band update because Lion is coming before 6 but after 5

    • Apple hasn’t announced a date more exact than “July”
  • We pushed Firefox 3.6.19 to the 3.6 beta audience on Friday, 2011-07-08
    • Thanks to QA and RelEng for the quick turnaround and working late on a Friday!
  • We did not push 5.0.1 to anyone (as the beta channel is running 6)
    • Some users appear to have downloaded it from ftp already though
  • We hope to release both today (Monday, 2011-07-11) and hope to only offer updates for Mac users
    • No sense having all users download / install updates for a Mac-specific bug, but there are some mechanical issues to work out still
  • Note that there is no need for a Firefox mobile 5.0.1
  • We’ve seen some questions about 3.6 EOL. Short answer: still thinking/discussing, canceled a previously scheduled meeting

    • We have committed to releasing Firefox 3.6.20 (previously it was 3.6.19, but the update above took that version number), shipping at the same time as Firefox 6

    • More 3.6 details/planning later in August

Mobile Firefox

Thunderbird

  • Thunderbird 6 went to Beta channel and Thunderbird 7 went to Aurora channel last week

Drumbeat

Speakers

The limit is 3 minutes per speaker. It’s like a lightning talk, but don’t feel that you have to have slides in order to make a presentation.

Title

Presenter

Topic

Media

More Details
Infrastructure Security Training Brownbags

Michael Coates

Regularly scheduled security brownbags for hands-on security hacking & learning

https://wiki.mozilla.org/WebAppSec#Schedule

https://wiki.mozilla.org/WebAppSec#Schedule
Bugzilla Security Keywords

Curtis Koenig (phone)

Using the new security keywords

https://wiki.mozilla.org/images/2/2b/BZ_sec-keywords.pdf

Automated Speed Tests Results

Mark Côté

Quick discussion of results from the automated speed tests framework

http://brasstacks.mozilla.com/speedtests.html

Gary on NBC Press: Here

Melissa Shapiro

Gary Kovacs interviewed for NBC Press: Here

http://www.nbcbayarea.com/blogs/press-here/Mozilla_s_Ben_Kovacs_on__Press_Here___2_of_2__Bay_Area-125229834.html

Video time: What do you want the web to be?

Mike Morgan
William Reynolds

Just a feel-good video to start the week

http://videos.mozilla.org/serv/webdev/What_the_web_should_be.webm
Upcoming campaign: http://dailycavalier.com/2011/07/a-campaign-about-your-web-for-the-web/

Status Updates By Team

Firefox

Platform

Messaging

Mobile

  • mobile UX work week in Toronto this week

IT

Release Engineering

QA

QA Automation Services
  • The new QA Automation Services team was announced last week. They will provide a signal point of reference for all QA Automation needs, working closely with QA, the A*Team and potential vendors that we may need.
Browser Technologies
  • Shipped Firefox 6 Beta for Mobile to Android Market

  • Team workweek – Week of July 18th
WebQA
QA Community
  • Firefox 6 Testday this Friday, July 15th

  • If you have out-of-control bug queries or features which need testing, please get in touch with Anthony Hughes (irc: ashughes) to get an event planned.
Desktop Firefox QA
  • We have been qualifying 5 branches, for their respective train departures: Fx6(beta), Fx7(aurora), 3.6.19/5.0.1, Fx6(beta) Mobile

    • Fx6 (desktop and mobile) and Fx7 are done.

    • Branches to follow this week.

Automation & Tools

  • Started working with the releng folks on building faster

    • Building dashboards for the effort to keep
  • Speed tests are completed, been running for most of a quarter
  • Special Powers is available in mochi-plain, mochi-chrome, and mochi-browser-chrome
  • More notes are here

Security

Engagement

PR

Events

Creative Team

Community Marketing

Support

  • We are adding private messaging features to our Support platform this week. Help us by getting involved and providing feedback.

  • Michelle Luna joined the SUMO team last week. She will be coordinating our mobile support efforts.

Metrics

Evangelism

Labs

Developer Tools

Add-ons

Webdev

L10n

Introducing New Hires

  • David Clarke – QA Automation Services

  • Michelle Luna – Mobile Support Coordinator
  • Havi Hoffman – Content Wrangler, Labs (Developer Engagement)
  • Natalie Tan – Product PR Coordinator
  • Joe Stevensen – Infrastructure Security
  • Marty Rosenberg – JavaScript
  • Jeff Gilbert – Gfx
  • Tim Abraldes – Platform Integration
  • William LaChance – Automation & Tools

Introducing New Interns

  • Annika Heinle, Engagement (started 7/5)

  • Brian Burg, Research (started 7/5)
  • Hannes Verschore, Platform (started 7/5)

Foundation Updates

Roundtable

6-July-2011

Mobile Meeting Minutes: 2011-07-06

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 11:00 pm

Mobile/Notes/06-Jul-2011


Details

  • Wednesdays – 9:30am Pacific, 12:30pm Eastern, 16:30 UTC

  • 650-903-0800 or 650-215-1282 x92 Conf# 8605 (US/INTL)
  • 1-800-707-2533 (pin 369) Conf# 8605 (US)
  • irc.mozilla.org #mobile for backchannel

Schedule

  • Fennec 8 (nightly)

    • This is the active development trunk
  • Fennec 7 (aurora)
    • Need to make sure it’s stable

    • Need to move only required fixes from trunk (as those fixes are made)
    • Should we add to Android Market?
  • Fennec 6 (beta)
    • Getting QA and will be pushed to Android Market soon

Major Topics for This Week

  • Welcome: Michelle Luna, Mobile Support Coordinator, SUMO

  • Tooling next steps
    • sharedID sutagent fun

    • makefile targets for running unittests on a device
    • what we want developers to do to their device in order to run tests (run-as, root, sutagent, other)
    • content mochitest update (jdm – bug 668283)

Application

Front-end

  • Work for Fx8

    • Tablet UI

    • Selecting text in web content followup bugs (which need to be on Aurora?)
    • Language picker support for locales on AMO
    • Basic webapp support [Patches close to landing] bug 583750
  • Look into using doorhangers in Fennec bug 661148

    • Talked with Madhava about where to move next. Moving forward at the same time mockups/ux discussion happen. [Stalled; Need to un-stall]

UX design

  • design work ongoing on apps/desktop shortcuts/android widget

    • hoping to clarify how these pieces split apart this week
  • Fennec on honeycomb spec to be ready for review late this week
  • design polish on NewFxHome v1 and new concepts for next versions
  • finalizing spec on first-run language selection
  • designs spec’ed on text field carat-placement/movement
  • prototyping a refined side-area discoverability approach for testing

Platform Support

Android

  • Jim Chen has a fix for NDKr5 regressions

    • once that lands we should switch over to NDKr5 for Firefox 8

Maemo

Performance

Testing

QA

  • Beta 1 work has not started yet

    • builds are just starting

    • Beta 1 test plan
  • Crash Report, July 6th
    • Socorro crash reports currently does not contain content crashes

    • Reopened : bug 626994 – Crashes [@ _de_casteljau ] due to infinite recursion of [@ _cairo_spline_decompose_into] without using Cisco VPN
    • Top Crashers:
      • N900: bug 609166 – Crash [@ libc-2.5.so@0x2a548 ] on Linux 2.6.28

      • Android bug 613954 – OOM crash [@ libc.so@0x11c80 ]…

Test Suites

Test Automation

  • update on bug 664510 – get valid crashreports again

  • update on bug 668594 – reftest tests consume all memory on tegra in plugin-container

Release Engineering

Priorities page

  • 6.0b1

    • bug 669419 – Armenzg is running 6.0b1 with 0.7 automation, split repos.

    • bug 574764 – Rail is going to run 6.0b1 with new 0.8 automation. Hoping to completely switch over by 6.0b2.
  • bug 669189 – does anyone know how to file an Android Market bug?
  • bear has ndk5 testing in staging puppet

Other

Firefox/Gecko Delivery Meeting Minutes: 2011-07-06

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 11:00 pm

Firefox/Planning/2011-07-06


« previous week | index | next week »

Planning Meeting Details

  • Wednesdays – 11:00am PDT, 18:00 UTC

  • Mountain View Offices: Warp Core Conference Room
  • Toronto Offices: Fin du Monde Conference Room
  • 650-903-0800 or 650-215-1282 x92 Conf# 8605 (US/INTL)
  • 1-800-707-2533 (pin 369) Conf# 8605 (US)
  • irc.mozilla.org #planning for backchannel
  • (the developer meeting takes place on Tuesdays)
REMEMBER

These notes are read by people who weren’t able to attend the meeting. Please make sure to include links and context so they can be understood.

<script>if (window.showTocToggle) { var tocShowText = “show”; var tocHideText = “hide”; showTocToggle(); } </script>

Actions from Last Week

None!

Schedule & Progress on Upcoming Releases

Firefox Desktop

Release (3.6, 4.0, 5.0)

  • Talking about creating a 5.0.1 for a 10.7 crasher bug 663688. The issue is in Apple’s 10.7 GM code (to be released in July, probably soon) and we have 2 ways to work around:

    1. Turn off downloadable fonts for users on 10.7

    2. Switch font rendering frameworks for users on 10.7 (ATS → CGFont)
  • Aurora and Beta are not affected as we took the font rendering framework change there
  • Deciding what to do for release by tomorrow
  • Ideally would like to release the 5.0.1 update only to Mac users

Beta (6)

Aurora (7)

Nightly (8)

  • Didn’t close the tree during the source code migration, mozilla-central is chugging along nicely

Firefox Mobile

5

Firefox 5 launched two weeks ago (sim-ship with desktop)

6

Went to build yesterday (July 5), currently in QA. Will publish as BETA to Android Market as soon as we get QA sign-off – tonight or tomorrow – sim-ship with desktop (see Release Schedule). This will update Beta in Android Market, bridging the current gap (official release is newer than the current Firefox 5 Beta)

New features in 6:

  • Better first-run experience – guide showing Browser Tools and features, faster start using less memory

  • Higher-quality image scaling (on devices with NEON-compatible processors).[When zoomed in our out, less pixelation, crisper display of logos, etc.]
  • Improvements for large-screen tablets [Optimizing Firefox for larger tablet devices, e.g. by adjusting UI elements, buttons, font size. (Phase 1)]
  • Improved Form Helper [Form helper is less obtrusive on Android now]
  • Theme changes for phones running Android 2.3 (Gingerbread) [Now refreshed to look even more beautiful on Gingerbread OS.]
  • Fixed bugs: Optimized rendering of pages that use RTL layout (languages like Arabic, Hebrew) [Universal access]
  • Touch Events (part 1 – single touch only). [Expose touch events to content for better interaction with web pages and services, and compatibility with WebKit/Opera and existing web content.]
  • IndexedDB database storage for web pages. [Pick up where you left off (e.g after crash or when terminated in the background (adding session history. Currently only saves last URL), better performance and memory management]
  • Automatic text hyphenation with the -moz-hyphens CSS property (bug 253317).

7

moved to AURORA yesterday, July 5, 2011 (see Release Schedule)

Some new items:

  • Selecting text in web content

  • Locale selection during firstrun
  • Publish in Android Market?

8

moved to NIGHTLY yesterday, July 5, 2011

Some new items:

  • Tablet UI

  • Pull locales from AMO
  • Basic webapp support
  • Use doorhangers?

Firefox Sync

  • Beta (6) – Sync Discovery

  • Aurora (7) – Instant Sync
  • Firefox Sync Add-on EOL Plan – Phase 1
  • Next major feature is Improving Sync Set Up
    • Nailing down requirements

    • Doing User Research for Mobile Sync Set up

Add-on Builder Beta!

Add-on SDK 1.1

Input 4.3

  • ETA: 7/14

    • Complications occurred on 4.2 release with Elastic Search and metrics production clusters, so had it disabled. Looking to have it up in the next release.

    • Grouperfish will land in 4.3.

Feedback Summary

  • Addon Compatibility: Google Toolbar, Roboform, Tiddlysnip

  • Website Compatibility: Bitdefender scanner, FAFSA

Press & Public Reactions

Questions, Comments and Highlights

Actions this week

5-July-2011

Thunderbird Meeting Minutes: 2011-07-05

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 11:00 pm

Thunderbird/StatusMeetings/2011-07-05


last meeting | index | next meeting »

(current release schedules returning soon)

Thunderbird Meeting Details :

Remember to press *1 to unmute yourself before talking!

Feel free to ask questions in the meeting either by speaking up or by asking them in #maildev on IRC.

Other ways to get in touch with us can be found on our communications page

Agenda

  • Who’s taking minutes? –> mconley

  • Minute taking Schedule. Talk to Standard8 for schedule changes/additions.
  • Note: this meeting is for interactive discussion. Feel free to ask questions!

Action Items

Friends of the Tree

  • No nominations this week.

Thanks to our Friend of the Tree. When adding someone to this section, please get their T-Shirt size and send it to rebron@mozilla.com so that he can send them a shirt!

Thunderbird Development

For more details, see also the driver meeting notes.

Feature Work

Account Provisioner
  • Blake’s on holiday this week, so no updates.
OpenSearch
  • Blake’s on holiday this week, so no updates.

Experiments

Thunderbird Conversations
Compose in a tab
Account Summary
Ubuntu Unity Integration
  • De-RDF’ing and address book extending patches have landed! Big thanks to bienvenu, jcranmer and Standard8 for their patience and assistance on those patches.

  • Canonical seems to be doing a good job of cleaning up CD space. It’s starting to look less and less like space will be an issue.
  • Demonstrated read capability to Allison Randal and Jason Warner from Canonical last week, and seemed to go over nicely.
    • I haven’t been able to talk to Jason Warner yet for the official yay/nay, but Allison says that we seem to have passed our June 30th status check, and should be good to continue the project.

    • Hacking on EDS write capability at the moment
  • Messaging Menu and Unity Launcher addons have landed in Ubuntu PPAs, and we’re already getting good feedback.

Schedule and Progress

Thunderbird 5 (Miramar)
  • Currently doing throttled major updates as we keep an eye out for any stability issues. Should be opening it up later this week.

  • Miramar nightlies have been stopped, still working on redirecting users, should be done this week.
Thunderbird 6
  • Earlybird is the name for the Thunderbird builds on the Aurora channel

  • Merge date to beta channel – today.
  • We will start looking at automated compatibility bump this week.
  • Bugtracking query page
Thunderbird 7
  • Currently on comm-central.

  • Merge date – feature & string freeze – today.
  • Big thank you to patch writers, reviewers, and landers!
  • Bugtracking query page
Thunderbird 8
  • Starting up once Thunderbird 7 moves over to Earlybird.

  • When landing patches in trunk, make sure to set the milestone in the bug to the correct version of Thunderbird that you’re landing in.
    • And if you’re landing in branches, make sure to set the status-thunderbirdX flag to ‘fixed’ (where X is the Thunderbird version number you’re landing in)
Thunderbird 3.1.x
  • Firefox have scheduled the next 1.9.2 release for August 16th.

  • Bug Lists: 3.1

Extension of the week

  • Enigmail :

    • Lets you digitaly sign and encrypt decrypt emails usinge the OpenPGP standard

    • Let’s you manage your keyrings
    • Has nightly versions of users of Nightlies of Thunderbird

QA Updates

  • Worked on release.

  • Will do some community work this coming week.

Marketing Updates

  • PR Update: A lot of good coverage on Tb5 – some representative articles – Lifehacker, zdnet, Ars Technica

  • Thunderbird 5 release.
  • www.mozilla.org/thunderbird new web site. Still a few more pieces to move over to mozilla.org domain.

Next

  • Conversion funnel for Tb5

  • Scoping out Test Pilot

Infrastructure Update

  • Nothing exciting this week.

  • Next week, Gozer heads to work Mountain View.
  • Has started playing with channel-switching capability for Thunderbird.

Build / Release Update

  • Bug 666535 – Offer nightly users on Miramar a minor update to the Aurora builds – Almost ready.

  • Due to Bug 666945, nightly updates have longer build ids.
  • Thunderbird 3.1.11->5.0 throttling set to 10%
  • Scheduled power outage went smoothly
  • Thunderbird 6 beta build this week
  • Thunderbird 7 going onto Earlybird channel today

Web Update

  • We’re working on a channel switcher page like Firefox’s for promoting the different update channels. Should be out in next 2 weeks, hopefully.

  • Sancus is out on holiday

Documentation

Support

(If you support Thunderbird or write or translate documentation to help support Thunderbird, please subscribe to the tb-support-crew mailing list and briefly introduce yourself to the list)

  1. 1478 new support topics (1675 last week) – Media:27June-3July2011Community_stats_for_Mozilla_Messaging.png

  2. Thunderbird 5 Support Issues – a few not so minor issues found so far, but no new major issues
  3. See this week’s Support Appendix for full Get Satisfaction metrics and other support details
  4. DRAFT Thunderbird 6 User Features Page for TB 6 docs

Lightning Updates

  • Burning at the moment.

    • A patch that removed some debug messages seems to have shifted some timing somewhat, and revealed an underlying problem.

      • Symptoms: random alarms that cannot be dismissed.

      • The debug messages are being put back for now, while the underlying problem is being diagnosed.
    • Today Pane is malfunctioning. Hopefully this is just fallout from the debug messages patch.
    • There’s a Windows crash that also needs fixing. Again, hopefully this is just fallout from the debug messages patch.
    • If someone has cycles to help out with patching, testing, or reviewing, that’d be much appreciated! Fallen will ping people this week for help.
    • Hope to have a release out ASAP. This week, hopefully.
  • The AMO page for Lightning needs some polish. Some of the writing needs an overhaul – there was a line about “If you don’t read the release notes, you’ll always have data loss”. This line has been fixed, but the whole thing needs work.
    • Roland will be working with Fallen on this

Status Updates

See the Mozilla Status Board for status updates specific to developers.

Roundtable Highlights

  • Why was the Firefox channel-switcher pulled?

    • They weren’t quite sure what they wanted, and it didn’t seem discoverable enough.

    • Since different versions of Firefox can be installed side-by-side, they decided they didn’t need it.
    • There’s a blog post about it somewhere, if you search around. Here’s the bug that removed the channel-switcher.
  • Let’s try to do a better job next time of making sure our add-on developers aren’t left on the platform when the train leaves the station.

Attendees

Mozilla Platform Meeting Minutes: 2011-07-05

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 11:00 pm

Platform/2011-07-05


« previous week | index | next week »

<script>if (window.showTocToggle) { var tocShowText = “show”; var tocHideText = “hide”; showTocToggle(); } </script>

Q3 Goals

  • Realize Android as a top-tier supported platform alongside Windows, Mac, and Linux.

  • Implement priortized list of features required to support Web Apps (Joint with Product and Apps teams).
  • Ship a new developer tool prototype in a release.

Notices / Schedule

  • The mozilla-central → mozilla-aurora and mozilla-aurora → mozilla-beta source migrations are done

    • Thanks bz!

    • l10n will happen shortly, Axel is handling it
  • We’ll be asking for a build off of mozilla-beta once the l10n source migration is done
    • It should be a day or two before the updates are offered to the beta audience
  • mozilla-aurora has nightly automation so a build will be created. bug 669305 tracks turning off the automatic updates until QA gives the go
    • It should be a day or two before the updates are offered to the aurora audience

Firefox Development

  • New fx-team repo is live

    • Gavin’s on point for merge management

    • dev-tools repo may integrate there as well
  • Drew waiting on mrbkap feedback for callsite logging of all chrome/content crossover points bug 666713
  • Migration day!

GFX

JS

Gregor Wagner picked up a pair of huge MemShrink:P1 wins:

  • bug 656120 (GC more often using a timer)

    • (Background: GC was previously triggered only by allocation, so GCs were not triggered during idle time even if there was lots of garbage.)

    • njn: ‘Basically, it fixes the “I left Firefox running overnight and now my machine has locked up” problem.’
    • Reduced idle memory usage by 70-370 MB in some user-reported scenarios
  • bug 666058 (dedicated memory allocator chunks for system objects)
    • (Background: long-lived system objects would be allocated interspersed with other objects in the same 1MB chunks, so those chunks could never be reclaimed.)

    • njn measured a 30% reduction in JS heap size during general browsing
    • 5x improvement in JS heap size after closing all tabs

Layout

Plugins

DOM

Network

Accessibility

Multi-Process

Tree Management

Stability Report

Roundtable

  • MemShrink meeting today at 1pm! Dialin info in dev-platform.

« Newer Posts

Powered by WordPress