GSoC 2016: First Steps

Time for a progress report after my first week or so working on the Event in a Tab GSoC project. Things are going well so far. In short, I have the current event and task dialogs opening in a tab rather than a window and I can create and edit tasks and events in a tab. While not everything is working yet most things already are.

The trickiest part has been working with XUL, since I am not as familiar with it as I am with Javascript. With some help from Fallen on IRC I figured out how to register a new XUL document that contains an iframe and how to load another XUL file into this iframe. For an event or task that is editable one XUL file is loaded (calendar-event-dialog.xul), but if it is read-only then a different XUL file is loaded (calendar-summary-dialog.xul).

Initially I used the tabmail interface’s “shared tab” option — where a single XUL file is loaded and then its appearance and content is modified to create the appearance of completely different tabs. (This is how Thunderbird’s “3-pane” and “single message” tabs work, and also Lightning’s “Calendar” and “Tasks” tab.) However, this did not work when you opened multiple events/tasks in separate tabs. So I figured out the tabmail interface’s other option which loads each tab separately as you would expect and everything is now working fine.

The next step was to figure out how to access the data for an event (or task) from the tab. I actually figured out two ways to do this. The first was via the tabmail interface in the way that it is set up to work (i.e. “tabmail.currentTabInfo”). That meant that the current event dialog code (that referenced the data as a property of the “window” object) had to be changed to access it from this new location.  But that is not so good since we will be supporting both window and tab options and it would be nice if the same code could “just work” for both cases as much as possible.

So I figured out a second way to provide access to the data by just putting it in the right place relative to the iframe, so that the current code could reach it without having to be modified (i.e. still as a property of the “window” object, but with the “window” being relative to the iframe). This is a better approach since the same code will work for both cases (events/tasks in a dialog window or in a tab).

One small thing I implemented via the tabmail interface is that the title of the tab indicates whether you are creating a new item or modifying an existing one and whether the item is an event or a task. However, I will probably end up re-working this because the current dialog window code updates the title of the window as you change the title of the event/task, and that code can probably also be used to generate the initial title of the tab. This is something I will be looking into as I start to really work with the event dialog code.

On the UI design side of things, I created three new mockups based on some more feedback from Richard Marti and MakeMyDay. Part of the challenge is that there are a number of elements that vary in size depending on how many items they contain (e.g. reminders, categories, attachments, attendees). Mockups K and L were my attempt at a slightly different approach for handling this, although we will be following the design of mockup J going forward. You can take a look at these mockups and read notes about them on the wiki page.

The next steps will be to push toward a more finalized design and seek broader feedback on it.  On the coding side I will be identifying where things are not working yet and getting them to work. For example, the code for closing a window does not work from a tab and the status bar items are appearing just above the status bar (at the bottom of the window) because of the iframe.

So far I think things are going well. It is really encouraging that I am already able to create and modify events and tasks from a tab and that most of the basic functionality appears to be working fine.

— Paul Morris

Tags:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *