As you all know, the guys from Sun have been
the Calendar Project for some time now. Most of the stuff that they’ve been working on, has been work on the backend (e.g. the WCAP Provider) and general bug-fixing work.
But they’ve also begun to work on the Lightning user interface and while their work has not been publically released just yet, we’d really like to give you a sneak preview of what is to come. We’ve decided to present you the new stuff in bits and pieces over the coming weeks and to concentrate on one element per blog post.
Please be aware, that these new features have not been fully implemented yet and have also not undergone a complete code review by the Calendar developers. Therefore the features and screenshots described may be subject to change.
We would also like you to give us and the Sun guys extensive feedback about what you think about these new UI features. Please use the comments section for this.
In the first installment of this series, we’ll talk about the new advanced Event Dialog and its features. Here’s a screenshot of the new dialog.
The design goal of the new event dialog were:
- A seamless integration into the Thunderbird UI. The user should not get the feeling that he is in a different application, when he is using the calendar part.
- Evolution and Outlook users should also feel at home
- The new dialog should be more powerful in terms of features, while still presenting a simple and lean UI
The following new features were developed for the new dialog:
- Integrated timezone support
- Integrated display of recurrence patterns, reminders and attendees
- Custom Recurrences
- Custom Reminders
- Clear separation between tasks and events
- Free/ Busy support
- Show time as Free/Busy
Here are two more screenshots of the event dialog with some more of the new features visible and of the new attendee dialog:
The new event dialog can be used with or without using the WCAP provider, but free/busy-support is only available for WCAP calendars at the moment, because the other providers (e.g. ICS or CalDAV) have not implemented this feature yet.
Further information regarding the attendee dialog is available at