sorry for being so quiet in the last 2-3 weeks. I know many of you are anxiously awaiting the upcoming 0.5 release. Some of you are probably even annoyed because of the utter lack of information regarding the upcoming release.
So what is the current status?
Basically, we’re pretty much done. All the remaining blockers have been fixed and all but two locales (Macedonian and Slovenian) are ready for take-off. There are some small things to perform, before we can release Lightning and Sunbird 0.5, though:
- We need to write the release notes
- We need to rename the builds, so that they identify themselves as 0.5
- We need to package the Lightning builds with all locales for the release candidate, so that localizers can test them before the actual release
- We need to put those builds on the mozilla.org FTP server
All these tasks are not huge, but real life has put some obstacles into our path:
- Matthew Willis (lilmatt) is very busy at his current day job at the moment. Since he is currently the only one, who knows all the magic to package the Lightning builds with all locales, we’re a little bit stuck there.
- Clint is busy at his new employer (Mozilla Corporation) and cannot devote as much time to Calendar-work as he used to.
- Daniel, our new and shiny project lead, went to the Calendar Interop conference last week and could therefore not coordinate all the efforts needed for a release.
So, we haven’t forgotten you guys out there. Believe me, when I say that we want to get this thing out to you, as soon as humanly possible. I hope you bear with us until 0.5 comes out.
Please also excuse me, when I do not announce a new and definitive release date here. The old open source mantra “Expect it when you see it” seems much safer to me, now that we have slipped by our original release schedule by more than a month.
I seriously hope that we have a release candidate ready at the end of the coming week or the beginning of the week after that. But that is all my crystal bowl allows me to see right now :-))