Meeting Notes Meetings notes from the Mozilla community


Mobile Meeting Minutes: 2011-11-02

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 12:00 am



  • Wednesdays – 9:30am Pacific, 12:30pm Eastern, 16:30 UTC
  • Dial-in: conference# 95312
    • US/International: +1 650 903 0800 x92 Conf# 95312
    • US toll free: +1 800 707 2533 (pin 369) Conf# 95312
    • Canada: +1 416 848 3114 x92 Conf# 95312
  • #mobile for backchannel
  • vidyo: Warp Core


Next merge date is 2011-11-08

Major Topics for This Week


Native Front-end

  • Basic philosophy:
    • Keep more logic and behavior in JS and less in the native UI.
    • Keep the UI dumb
    • If we do need to port, we can reuse the non-native code more easily

Android Platform

Stand ups

Suggested format:

  • What did you do last week?
  • What are working on this week?
  • Anything blocking you?


Last week:

  • Made Flash draw to a layer, which should reduce one copy. It also matches the way Flash draws a little better.
  • Fix some graphics invalidation issues
  • Worked on making RGBA work, but found that we really need the gfx team to do some work there. Jeff is investigating.
  • Work around some deadlock issues found with native UI

This week:

  • Debugged why video doesn’t work, but still don’t really know why
  • Worked on filling in some gaps in the ANPCanvas API. Drawing text is hard.
  • Out thurs/fri/mon for a wedding

Next week:

  • More of the same, but also need to figure out click-to-play and HC/ICS support


Last week:

  • scroll window as needed with soft keyboard up (696319)
  • attempt a fix for the java stack traces not showing up in logs (692185)
  • fixed an NPE in the awesome bar (when history is cleared), also some tweaks (removed incorrect entries from panes) (697528)
  • fixed an NPE that caused fennec to crash on rotation (697183)
  • fixed makefile problem where strings.xml wasn’t getting rebuilt properly (697433)
  • implemented the “forward” feature (695165), discovered a bug where gecko and java can get out of sync, fixed that too (697732)
  • fixed awesome screen history results showing only page url (697803)
  • added scroll indicators (695569)
  • fixed race conditions in tab code (697987)
  • had the about:crashes bug (694563) but kbrosnan closed that as wfm since he couldn’t repro

This week:

  • looking at find-on-page (695172)
  • some residual issues left over from last week
    • scroll indicators need to be less opaque?
    • threading warning for nsAndroidHistory


  • right now need to figure out what’s the best UI for find-on-page. exploring how well overlays on top of the gecko surface work, as that will determine if we need to use a screen-width find bar or can get away with a partial-width bar


Last week:

  • startup cache: js/xul not updated — resolved (bug 695145)
  • startup cache: can build at package time…but then how/when do we unpack it? thoughts/comments appreciated (bug 696095)
  • bug 602611: 2-level cache (memory -> disk) — discussing with Bjarne

Next week:

  • finish startup cache
  • concentrate on disk cache


  • Last week:
    • Investigated and fixed IME bugs:
      • Bug 632542 – Text entered with SlideIT VKB sometimes disappears
      • Bug 640025 – Clear text function using ezKeyboard does not work
      • Bug 618921 – the chat capability of etherpad application doesn’t work with fennec
    • Coordinated the efforts on testing the IME with Naoki Hirata, tested some older bugs to confirm they are fixed.
  • This week:

Chris Lord

Last week:

This week:

  • Tear hair out trying to make displayport work; have it half-working but still not useful enough
  • If I get displayport working, integrate it with pcwalton’s pan-zoom queue

Next week:

  • Depending on how above displayport work goes this week, any of these things:
    • Work on refining panning/zooming in pcwalton’s pan-zoom queue
    • Work on integrating displayport for panning/zooming in pcwalton’s pan-zoom queue
    • Continue trying to make displayport work
    • Run away to the forest
  • Maybe take bug #665597 to completion
  • Maybe take a look at bug #524925 again


  • Fix doorhanger bugs. Fight with Android Configuration change and trying keep Gecko in Sync. (Took the easy way out as we no longer restart anyway now)
  • Popup blocker doorhangers if nothing more urgent comes up. Maybe need to do some UrlClassifier stuff.
  • Nothing now, prolly again JS plumbing later on.

Brian N

  • Last Week
    • finished preferences
    • worked on user agent
  • This week
    • session store (saving between browser sessions and moving back/forward to js)
  • Blocked on
    • nothing


  • Last Week:
    • Worked on plumbing for Tabs-List.
    • Worked on Tab counter animation – ready for review.
    • Added Add/Remove bookmarks functionality.
    • Changed spinner functionality
  • This Week:
    • Working on Tabs-List reskinning.
    • Fixed few bugs related to Awesomebar.
    • Plumbing for spinners
  • Blockers:
    • None.


  • Last week
    • Finished up select prompts and some fallout bugs
    • Smart link tapping
    • Spent awhile looking at why the awesome screen is “slow” on my phone.
    • Wrote a demo patch to use Android gestures for scrolling and clicking
  • This week
    • Clean up and posting the touch events patch for review again
    • Context menus – Addressing review comments
    • Finish up testing and reporting why the awesome screen is “slow” on my phone.
  • Blocked on
    • Nothing


  • Last week
    • Show favicons on AwesomeBar lists
    • Several performance improvements on AwesomeBar
    • Only show labels on AwesomeBar tabs
    • Improve keyboard handling while filtering results in AwesomeBar
    • Misc bug fixes in tabs and browser toolbar
    • Misc code cleanups
  • Next week
    • Implement real design for AwesomeBar tabs
    • Favicon caching
    • Bug fixing on AwesomeBar and Tabs
  • Blockers
    • Favicon URLs and caching (How to proceed?)


Last week:

  • bug 697529 – [birch] Open new tabs for links from external apps
  • bug 696203 – [birch] Remove unused/broken mobile XPCOM components
  • bug 697975 – Don’t show the first-run animation in tablet mode
  • bug 691541 – Hack to ensure sidebars are hidden properly during startup
  • Several interviews for mobile engineering candidates.

This week:

  • [birch] Fix back button behavior for pages opened in new tabs.
  • [birch] Meta viewport support (bug 694901).
  • Working on some remaining Fx9/10 regressions.
  • Several interviews for mobile engineering candidates.


  • Enabling meta viewport depends on zooming/panning the CSS viewport.

See also


Last week

  • bug 697986 Ads show up in history
  • bug 695145 xul & js files not updated when reinstalling
  • bug 633239 event loop responsiveness
  • h264 support
  • spatial nav

This week

  • cont h264
  • cont spatial nav

Blocked on video guys making recommendations for mp4 unpacking/demuxing


  • w3c tpac conf
  • birch-pan-zoom hacking
    • ime
    • geolocation / sensor
    • hooking up last image
  • Fixing up the quit handler.



Ian Barlow

  • Last week: Wireframes
  • This week: More polished mockups and assets
    • Awesomescreen [1]
    • Tab menu [2]
    • Header / URL Bar states [3]
    • Menu Icons [4] 🙂
    • Generally supporting the front end team wherever I can
  • Blockers: Nope

Patryk Adamczyk

  • Created initial designs for door hangers and add-on screens.
  • Mock ups can be seen on my flickr stream [5]
  • Will upload a UI flow of the add-ons & door hangers in action by EOD.

Round Table



Firefox/Gecko Delivery Meeting Minutes: 2011-11-02

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 12:00 am


« previous week | index | next week »

Planning Meeting Details

  • Wednesdays – 11:00am PDT, 18:00 UTC
  • Mountain View Offices: Warp Core Conference Room
  • Toronto Offices: Fin du Monde Conference Room
  • #planning for backchannel
  • (the developer meeting takes place on Tuesdays)

Video/Teleconference Details – NEW

  • 650-903-0800 or 650-215-1282 x92 Conf# 95312 (US/INTL)
  • 1-800-707-2533 (pin 369) Conf# 95312 (US)
  • Vidyo Room: Warp Core
  • Vidyo Guest URL

These notes are read by people who weren’t able to attend the meeting. Please make sure to include links and context so they can be understood.

<script>if (window.showTocToggle) { var tocShowText = “show”; var tocHideText = “hide”; showTocToggle(); } </script>

Actions from Last Week

Schedule & Progress on Upcoming Releases

Firefox Desktop

Release (3.6, 7)

  • 3.6.24 went out to beta yesterday
    • Still plan to ship on November 8th

Beta (8)

  • Have a RC build
    • Likely going to rebuild for some cert stuff, will hopefully know today
    • Really need to publicize a RC so that add-ons are updated (typically get about 5% bump)
  • Sign-off meeting will be tomorrow, alex will send details
  • Expecting the go to build off of mozilla-release tomorrow or friday
    • Not ideal, but we need to see how this cert stuff plays out
  • RelEng needs signed-off copies of shipped-locales, l10n-changesets from l10n/release-drivers before starting 8.0 final builds.

Aurora (9)

  • Migration day is 1 week away

Nightly (10)

  • Migration day is 1 week away

Firefox Mobile

Trending ratings from users:

  • In the last 30 days, users have posted 1,692 reviews on the Android market for v7, the averaged ratings are down two-tenths of a point to 3.7 stars compared to the 3.9 stars averaged in 1,993 reviews posted during the first two weeks of the v7 release. On Input, 79% of feedback is praise for v7 in the last 30 days.
  • In the last 30 days, users have posted 260 reviews on the Android market for Beta v8, the averaged ratings are up one-tenth of a point to 3.9 stars compared to the 3.8 stars averaged in the 158 reviews posted during the first two weeks of the v8 beta. On Input, 52% of feedback is praise for v8 in the last 30 days.

Native UI

Firefox Sync

  • Firefox 10:
  • Firefox 11+:
    • Push to Device – In development. You can play with an add-on here.
    • Addon Sync – In development.
    • Fennec Java porting for Sync scoping continues

Add-on Builder

  • Release going out today @ 2pm
  • Q4 goals on-track (Jinja integration goal headed for early finish)
  • Mid-Q1 2012 public release of Builder is on-track – started assembling a master list of to-dos for our v1.0, will bug’em out over the next few weeks.

Add-on SDK

Release (1.2.1 -> Firefox 7, 8)

  • 1.2.1 out for two weeks, ready for Fx 8!

Stabilization (1.3 -> Firefox 8, 9)

  • Released 1.3beta2 yesterday
  • On track for Nov 29th release
  • Cherry-picking small, stable changes

Development (1.4 -> Firefox 9, 10)

  • Big changes made to our loader code
    • Simplified
    • Preliminary support for e10s
    • much more, ask us!
  • On track to merge to Stabilization on Nov 29th

Feedback Summary


  • Nothing major new.
    • Yahoo (or maybe babylon) toolbar eats the top “inch” of your browser so links near the top aren’t clickable. [1][2][3]. Started in the last week (?).
  • Support is having a SUMO day for answering (and looking through) user support questions. We’ll be around to help you use the site Check it out!


UX & User Research

Market Insights

Marketing, Press & Public Reaction

Questions, Comments, FYI

  • (self pimping) Christian wrote a tool to scrape and make CSVs
    • Please play around with it, lots of insights to be gleaned there, like a “quality index” (feedback ratio for Firefox 7beta/7/7.0.1)
  • Related: now supports OR queries (“hang | freeze”)
  • Has a decision been made on the possible respin for 8 (LegNeato answered this, decision by eod–depends on the security and cert team)

Actions this week

  • Blizzard/Juan to come back on compat issues in Firefox 10 from UA version scraping


SeaMonkey Meeting Minutes: 2011-11-01

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 12:00 am


« last meeting | index | next meeting »

SeaMonkey Meeting Details

<script>if (window.showTocToggle) { var tocShowText = “show”; var tocHideText = “hide”; showTocToggle(); } </script>


  • Who’s taking minutes? -> Ratty
  • Nominees for Friends of the Fish Tank?
    • Tony Mechelynck for organising the bug event.
    • Px and Mnyromyr for lots of bug triaging during the bug event.
    • Callek and the Mozilla RelEng team for services above and beyond the call of duty in getting SeaMonkey builds working again.
    • Please note A person or entity can’t be nominated twice in a row.

Action Items

(who needs to do what that hasn’t been recorded in a bug) We should assign people to the open items.



  • IanN to write the “Friends of the Fish Tank” F.A.Q.


Status of the SeaMonkey Buildbot Master and Tree

Previously on Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Callek said:

  • “What Happened?”
    • One XServe that hosts “Parallels” in Mozilla died, taking down with it all the data it housed. (There were two problems to appear here)
  • “What VM’s does that translate to?”
    • Parallels can only reliably (for us anyway) run 7 total VM’s; Which are: 1 “Linux32 CentOS5.0 Buildbot Master”, 2 “Linux32 Centos5.0 Buildbot Slaves”, 1 “Linux64 Centos5.0 Buildbot Slave”, 3 “Win32 w2k3 Buildbot Slaves”
  • “Don’t you have refimages?”
    • Sadly we don’t have anything current. I had just updated both our masters software heavily and our Linux32 slaves.
  • “What can I do to help?”
    • Not sure there is too much build/releng related that you, in general can do. I suspect it will be more work in the end to get many of you into the loop after thinking about it. Primarily because it would mean me handholding a bit, getting you access to the machines with <secret-password> and meaning I’ll want to verify that nothing is out of whack….
  • “What does this mean for our Release”
    • We missed one planned beta because of this, and at the rate things are going, we’ll miss the next beta date too. We might likely be delaying the Gecko 8 ship date at that, I’m trying hard to make that not the case though.
  • “Where do we stand with the machine right now?”
    • Mozilla IT gave me rough ETA of Wednesday 26th before Host OS is installed setup, VM software is installed (parallels or maybe even VMWare Fusion, not sure), and we get the base image/OS’s installed for the now-lost VM’s. I’ll start work on the buildmaster as _SOON_ as I get confirmation the system is ready.
  • “Can you get help from other Mozilla Departments?”
    • Maybe, I have sent a request to Mozilla Releng to see if they can spare a few machines, and give me access to them to do my release-work at the least. So I can have a beta/release out with relatively little delay. I don’t really expect an answer until after their weekly meeting on Monday 24th, if even that early. Beyond that there really is no easy path to getting additional help.
  • “When can I land my patches?”
    • I’ll make the confirmation now, that any patches slated to land on aurora/beta and any [simple] regression fixes, and any bustage fixes, can land with explicit approval. And all must have been tested locally. Where possible also test other OS’s as well. If in doubt, ask yourself if the risk of it landing with no builds is worse than the trouble the bug causes. (since at this point, I’m unsure if any beta patches will be able to have coverage before my next/final beta build)

Current Situation
(To be updated)

  • Callek has a temporary buildbot master up and running and we have been able to get some builds out. Some nightlies are available from the 30th onwards.
  • We still don’t have all machines up (about half of the Linux and Windows machines and the Linux64 machine are still missing), but we have some coverage on the major platforms. Windows will just take longer than usual to build due to only having 2 of 5 machines up.
  • Tree is still closed unless you have tested things up, down, and sideways.
    • Callek says we can open the tree to METERED.
    • What’s METERED? Approval required and try to not get too many pushes in short order.

Release Train

  • Callek is working on getting comm-aurora and comm-beta on MXR (bug 653424).
    • Patch updated. Awaiting review. Although it looks like Corey has taken over the bug from Callek.
  • 2.5b3 shipped 14th October.
  • Target date for 2.5 is around 8th November. (Note: This sounds unlikely given the tree closure. Update/new ETA needed.)
  • We expect at least 1 more beta, perhaps two. The buildbot master being down (went down two weeks ago) may cause a delay and we will probably miss one beta. buildbot down is bug 695278). A brief chat with IT indicates it may require a colo-trip. Unfortunately only one person really knows how to administer the machine those VM’s are on.
  • Update: Callek is on the East Coast so he’s probably been hit by storm related power cuts. We will need to discuss VM administration when Callek is back online.

Extensions Compatibility Tracking

  • Addon Compatibility Listings created and maintained by InvisibleSmiley, with help from some community members like DERoss.
    • Recent changes can be found here.
    • [InvisibleSmiley:] The External Sources part is still TODO, help appreciated.
  • Enigmail provides versions for release (AMO) and all branches (Enigmail nightly page)
  • Lightning currently provides versions for the current stable release (AMO), Aurora and trunk (both FTP) and Beta (Calendar Versions page).
  • The latest Firebug is now fully compatible but still not flagged as such on AMO (which seems to depend on automatic tests being set up and run on the Firebug side, see Issue 4430)
    • [InvisibleSmiley] Use Firebug 1.9 pre-releases for 2.4 and later (maybe even earlier SM versions; haven’t checked)
  • Besides the above, we should also take a look at other add-ons that are important for our users when they switch to 2.x.
  • InvisibleSmiley still needs help updating and maintaining the FAQ Wiki page. Everybody please help update it, so it stays current. mcsmurf says he’ll help.
  • KaiRo created a SeaMonkey Features page and sub-pages for all those that are in development.
  • We need to get the Addon Compatibility page finished and better communicate how to keep Lightning and Enigmail updated since unfortunately the only versions provided on AMO are for the current stable release. People keep coming back reporting that e.g. Lightning stopped working on trunk, Aurora or Beta. But since it contains binary components, Lightning easily breaks if you don’t retrieve the matching install file yourself.
    • [InvisibleSmiley] AMO currently has a Lightning version compatible with SM Beta (1.0rc2)

We should also add some information on this to the release notes of future betas.

2.x (Last, Current, Next)

2.x Follow-ups and Issues

Moved to a separate page.


open tracking (0)
tracking requests (0)
targeted (0)
fixed (26)

  • The New 2.4 Features page has a comprehensive list of features.
  • 2.4.x had ~64500 ADU yesterday and 2.4.1 has had ~217,100 downloads so far.
    • vs. 5644 on 2.3, 3792 on 2.2, 1247 on 2.1 and 18788 on 2.0. So, in the last two weeks, ~?k have migrated to 2.3 and above.


  • Please make sure that anything that landed on comm-beta (for TB) or mozilla-beta (for FF) which affected non-shared code and which fixed regressions will be fixed on our side, too. Please mark bugs we feel *need* to land on a particular train tracking+ or tracking? so that when we to do a release we can be sure that we don’t miss anything.
    • Priority should be given to fixing regressions ASAP. Also keep an eye on and prioritize bugs to be ported from FF/TB that land on branches (Aurora, Beta). We need to keep an eye especially on Session Restore, Sync, Tabbrowser and Address Book.
    • Be careful not to break code shared with Thunderbird, otherwise patches might have to be backed out of string frozen repositories.
  • Remember to help update the New 2.5 Features page as we go along.

Feature List, Planning

Bug statistics for last two (full) weeks: 36 new, 12 fixed, 102 triaged.

  • Very good triage effort during the Seamonkey Halloween Bug Event.
  • Good further triage targets could come out of looking at the component bug counts, pick yours!

Open reviews/flags:
32 review
14 super-review
0 ui-review
7 feedback

Major wanted/needed features:


  • bug 606683 Allow customization of toolbar in Composer and MailNews Composition [IanN].
    • Progressing slowly, still waiting on reviews from TB side. Full customization has to go to (currently 2.6 but could be pushed back further) as it needs work on TB too which is taking a while to get reviews on, plus feedback from kaze.
    • IanN will need to poke some people about reviews not happening quickly enough.
    • There is still a patch that needs checking in but both the patches there are for SM (even though it is a TB bug :P).
    • IanN is still wading through the unpicking of Composer/Mail Compose code in the dependent bugs. After that he will be reworking his customising patches.
  • de-RDF bug 654864 has been finished and landed on all development branches, including 2.3. Still to do:
    • Neil wanted to follow up on some listener issues. This is being addressed in {{bug|669203}.
    • for the selection issue, see what the TB guys come up with in bug 669203.
  • bug 477845 Build a standalone (Comm-central) Composer. [kaze]
    • kaze has done a bit of work in this bug recently. Building on Windows works. Now supports debug builds on Linux if tests are disabled (–disable-tests). Still a lot to do.
    • IanN was supposed to help get builds working with --enable-tests.
      • Will look into this once he gets his customization patches reworked.

Needing help, Unowned, Stalled

  • Kill-RDF:
    • bug 657607 Port jminta’s kill-rdf to SeaMonkey where applicable Part 2 [meta].
    • bug 657604 Remove the RDF global object. [serge]
  • bug 436794 Enable Mac OS X system address book per default and add UI.
    • SM UI needed, unowned, helpwanted.
  • bug 449728 Drag tabs between windows.
  • bug 477840 Backport KompoZer to Composer (Depends on bug 477845).
    • kaze has done a ton of work there. We still need to work out some organizational issues. At the moment there is no active interest from MoMo for bringing standalone composer into comm-central. That’s something we (KaiRo and kaze) will have to negotiate with the Thunderbird team (Standard8).
  • bug 507841 Port Bug 422814 – Make account configuration quick, easy, and more secure (autoconfig, Quick Account Setup).
  • bug 533908 SeaMonkey Mail: tabs not restored [misak].
  • bug 523274 Complete new default theme icon set.
  • bug 526210 Update the icon set for the SeaMonkey Modern Theme.
    • bug 548778 New communicator icons (based on Strata theme) for SeaMonkey. Some proposed icons got posted, we should take a look how to get that contribution into the product.
    • The rest is unowned so far.
  • bug 87098 [SeaMonkey] Delete key should delete location bar history list entry.
    • Note: Our location bar history doesn’t and can’t use autocomplete at all.
  • bug 677484 Individual SeaMonkey components are not properly handled by the Windows 7 taskbar.
  • bug 654009 Reply to list: automatically determine From: address
    • Note: The actual task here is to port bug 45715 “Reply to List” [button/(context) menu item]
  • bug 664309 Make the built-in ChatZilla display a cZ icon in SeaMonkey (now helpwanted)

Roundtable – Personal Status Updates

Status Updates from developers – what are you working on, what’s the progress, any other comments? (feel free to add yourself to the list if your name is missing and you have interesting status).





  • Fixed:
    • bug 513900 – executable permissions for data files (port bug 461322 to SeaMonkey)
  • Checkin-needed:
    • bug 678979 – Remove README.txt from release packages
  • Needs Review:
    • bug 102275 – Number untitled pages. (sr)
    • bug 682537 – Don’t remove jemalloc lib when building with MOZ_MEMORY
  • Working On:
    • bug 78357 – Account wizard doesn’t have place to enter port info
    • bug 608103 – Message Display panel clipped on Windows 7
    • bug 670561 – show profile path in profile manager.
    • bug 675589 – Group all session restore menu items together.
  • BackBurner:
    • bug 649952 – Port |Bug 609824 – Re-add Bloglines to the feed reader options| to SeaMonkey


  • Usual testing, reviewing and commenting.
  • Bug triaging during bug event.
  • Fixed:
    • bug 682580 Remove suite’s dependency on nsTryToClose.js (non-editor part)
    • bug 680805 Share edit menus between Composer, Plain Text Editor and Messenger Compose
    • bug 688765 Move file menu from editorOverlay to editingOverlay
    • bug 690145 Move CharsetPopupMenu code from editorOverlay to editingOverlay
  • Waiting for review on:
    • bug 638643 Remove obsolete EditorToggleParagraphMarks from editor.js
  • Waiting for additional review on:
    • bug 694027 Move Editor toolbar buttons from editorOverlay to editingOverlay
  • Reviewed and waiting for feedback from mobile peer:
    • bug 689253 Update en-GB for Mobile 8.0 (comm-aurora)
  • Working on:
    • bug 695842 Move Editor startup/shutdown functions to editingOverlay
    • bug 606683 Allow customization of toolbar in Composer and MailNews Composition
    • bug 639690 [META] Re-arrange code between editor and editorOverlay
    • bug 657234 Move pasteQuote and pasteNoFormatting into contentAreaContextOverlay
    • File/Folder selection in windows.
  • To Do:
    • bug 639395 Get cmd_fontSize to reflect current state of selected content / content at caret.
    • Prefs-in-a-tab.


  • Fixed:
    • bug 674208 Add a Properties context menu option to open the embedded properties pane in Bookmarks Manager
    • bug 694144 Port syncAddDevice fixes from bug 690532 and bug 689428
    • bug 696633 Port |Bug 678586 – Trigger a delayed sync after pairing a new device|
    • reviewed bug 684537 Port bug 626949 |Sync UI: Style generic change dialogs like the setup and Add a Device wizards| to suite
  • Working On:
    • check in once tree reopens:
      • bug 695523 Port |Bug 564560 – Sync dialogs should persist position|
      • bug 693210 Add support for some keys to Advanced Search
      • bug 696731 Properties context menu option in Bookmarks Manager does nothing when the embedded properties pane is already open
      • bug 696598 Add default value for extensions.autoDisableScopes
    • address post-landing comment on bug 674208 Add a Properties context menu option to open the embedded properties pane in Bookmarks Manager
    • look into bug 698038 Update Preferences help for the new section to control crash report submission.
    • bug 688953 Create/Update 2.5 Release Notes
    • track bug 687316 (Remaining) Sync changes to port to Suite
  • Needs Coordination:
    • investigate whether we need to adapt our Places code for the FF/Toolkit changes from bug 696159 and/or bug 692120


  • Followed all the news on the main SeaMonkey VM host going down (bug 695278), helped Callek slightly with getting the SeaMonkey buildmaster up and running everything again after Mozilla IT got that one up (mainly did some debugging and fixing on clobberer).
  • Also updated the community update server to current AUS2 trunk code so we can handle extended snippet data in the future.
  • I did some more work on my themes and finally uploaded 2.4 versions of both EarlyBlue and LCARStrek which are awaiting reviews now.
  • Put some more work into cleanups of my Mandelbrot add-on and implemented a “Back” function in the Location menu. With that, I uploaded it as the final 4.0 version, it’s now waiting for reviews.
  • I updated German L10n of DOM Inspector to current trunk, as well as dom/ and suite/ localizations on -central.
  • As usual, my blog has more detailed status about my activities, and Mozilla Status Board Posts also tell about my next planned steps – both including my non-SeaMonkey Mozilla work as well.



Working on keeping Session Restore in sync with FF:



  • bug 356742 [cocoa] Sheets are offscreen if opened when all windows closed
  • bug 610509 Make fullscreen mode really fullscreen.
  • Sidebar planning


Working on implementing Opera API for adding sidebars from websites (bug 697799).




  • bug 696400 Close Places containers after use (Sync Suite with changes from bug 641531).
  • bug 696542 Remove obsolete preference places.database.cache_to_memory_percentage (q.v. bug 674210).
  • bug 697124 Update the Context menu video items.
  • bug 697453 Allow setting report submission preference via XPCOM.

Working on:


  • bug 694786 Remove hard coded dependency on xpinstallItemGeneric.png from notification.xml
  • Remove modern dependency on winstripe images, copy them into the comm-central tree instead.


  • Bug triage and Bug discussions.
  • End user support and PR in newsgroups and Mozillazine.



  • Fixed (or in-progress) MailNews Core bugs:
    • bug 694371 [c-c] “Warning: package error or possible missing or unnecessary file:” : 4 “VC80” files



  • bug 576402 Add small icons for Address Book toolbar to Classic theme.


  • bug 489067 Allow inline background color in Message Compose.



  • Organized and ran a very successful SeaMonkey Halloween Bug Event (like a testday) on #bugday on the 30th of October.
    • Special thanks to Px and Mnyromyr for lots of bug triaging during the bug event.
  • TODO:
    • Finish publishing the bug event stats.
    • Announce them on NG, Members’ list, etc., once they’re finished.

Any other business?

  • Need to review project areas
    • IanN has put out a final draft of the project areas list, and will then confirm that anyone who is not in the loop already has been consulted.
  • Extended Support Releases (ESR)
    • At the moment looks like that will be based off either Gecko 8 or 9 so potentially that will be either 2.5 or 2.6 for us. Assuming we have the machines, we will also have an ESR which might help move some of those still on 2.0 up to 2.5/2.6.
    • Our ESR should use the same branch as Firefox ESR so any Security and Stability “extended” fixes for Gecko will be picked up by the SeaMonkey ESR.
    • A ESR (Extended Security Release) may not be a given for us out of the gate. Callek thinks we should revisit that, separately, once it is clearer both what Gecko it will be based on, and what MoCo’s general plans for their marketing/target/ support-levels etc are.
  • Geolocation.
    • We can probably start working on this. Callek hasn’t verified all the minutia there yet, but if someone wants to begin work, he can devote slightly more of his time to it.
    • Geolocation now works out of the box. MoCo turned it on by default for all applications that build off mozilla-central. For comm-beta all we need to do is to add pref("geo.wifi.uri", ""); to browser-prefs.js.
  • The Halloween Bug Event happened at the end of last week.
    • tonymec will be producing some stats from the event.
  • Who is going to MozCamp Europe 2011? (sgautherie, KaiRo, mcsmurf, Mnyromyr and stefanh)
    • Anything planned w.r.t. SeaMonkey?
  • Who is going to MozCamp Asia 2011? (Ratty).
    • Nothing planned w.r.t. SeaMonkey, but Ratty might give a lightning talk.

Thunderbird Meeting Minutes: 2011-11-01

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 12:00 am


last meeting | index | next meeting »

Thunderbird Meeting Details :

Remember to press *1 to unmute yourself before talking!

Feel free to ask questions in the meeting either by speaking up or by asking them in #maildev on IRC.

Other ways to get in touch with us can be found on our communications page


  • Who’s taking minutes? –> roland
  • Minute taking Schedule. Talk to Standard8 for schedule changes/additions.
  • Note: this meeting is for interactive discussion. Feel free to ask questions!

Action Items

Friends of the Tree

Thanks to our Friend of the Tree. When adding someone to this section, please get their T-Shirt size, phone number (needed for shipping!) and send it to so that he can send them a shirt!

Thunderbird Development

For more details, see also the driver meeting notes.

hoping to land both Account Provisioner and Open Search for Thunderbird 10 next Tuesday November 7th

Feature Work

Account Provisioner
Test Pilot


Thunderbird Conversations
Compose in a tab
Account Summary
Ubuntu Unity Integration

Schedule and Progress

Thunderbird 8
  • Final beta for 8.0 currently being generated.
Thunderbird 9
  • Add-on Compatibility update performed yesterday
    • Caught up on these now, and add-on authors therefore have a much longer notification period.
    • 325 checked, 309 bumped, 16 notified about possible issues (includes binary add-ons, but other issues as well).
Thunderbird 3.1.x
  • 3.1.16 builds to beta channel tomorrow.

Extension of the week

QA Updates

Marketing Updates

  • Getting ready for Thunderbird 8 and Lightning 1.0
  • UDS this week.
  • Prepping for MozCamps, presentations.
  • Japanese survey in progress

Infrastructure Update

Build / Release Update

  • Thunderbird 8 beta 4 build 2
  • Need to take on bug 682805 – Generate snippets using new attributes
  • Slow Windows builds
  • Configuring Thunderbird builds on Firefox build infrastructure

Web Update

  • TB 8.0 product pages on staging, filing l10n bugs after meeting.
  • TB 8 -> 9 compatibility bump was completed last week
  • finishing kitsune l10n script today
  • AOL support in account provisioner next


  • two new tech writing students doing a practicum with Thunderbird
  • update: AMO info about monetizing add-ons and updating AMO to include TB in agreements and docs (AMO folks are figuring out their end)
  • work with MDN folks to improve Thunderbird visibility on MDN
  • new article by contributor: Why has my “Send” button been replaced with “Send Later”
  • one major article edit by contributor; three major article edits by internal folks
  • 15 responses to contribution inquiries
  • reminder: doc sprint for updating the FLOSS Thunderbird manual on November 9 (project wiki)


(If you support Thunderbird or write or translate documentation to help support Thunderbird, please subscribe to the tb-support-crew mailing list and briefly introduce yourself to the list)

  1. 1165 new support topics (1146 week ago) – Media:17-23October2011-Community_stats_for_Mozilla_Messaging.png
  2. Thunderbird 7 Support Issues
  3. Thunderbird 8 Support Issues – Please edit and add any issues found in TB8 starting with TB8 Beta 1
  4. See this week’s Support Appendix for full Get Satisfaction metrics and other support details

Lightning Updates

Status Updates

See the Mozilla Status Board for status updates specific to developers.

Roundtable Highlights


sancus, standard8, ludo, roland, jhopkins, gozer, fallen, jenzed, rebron

Mozilla Platform Meeting Minutes: 2011-11-01

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 12:00 am


« previous week | index | next week »

Platform Meeting Details

  • Tuesdays – 11:00 am Pacific
  • Warp Core Vidyo Room
  • 650-903-0800 x92 Conf# 8605 (US/INTL)
  • 1-800-707-2533 (pin 369) Conf# 8605 (US)
  • join #planning for back channel

<script>if (window.showTocToggle) { var tocShowText = “show”; var tocHideText = “hide”; showTocToggle(); } </script>

Notices / Schedule

  • Source migration is 1 week away!
  • Firefox 8 is pretty much done
  • Firefox 3.6.24 is going to beta as soon as QA signs off
    • Plan is to ship with Firefox 8 still, though it is at risk if anything is found on beta

Firefox Development

  • Blair McBride is working on the rather large task of making addons compatible by default (tracking in bug 692664)
  • Dave Townsend is working on support for a “hotfix” addon that we could use to release minor fixes to the browser without a full release cycle (tracking in bug 694068, feature page @ Features/Desktop/Add-on_hotfix)
  • The implementation of Background_Updates is nearly finished, will soon be ready for testing.

Firefox Developer Tools

  • New orion build integrated.
  • Breadcrumbs landed.
  • Highlighter sidebar and rule view coming this week.




  • We’re looking for contributors to work on ECMAScript Harmony and other JS language evolution


Landed last week

Will likely land this week

Other updates





  • SPDY landing has been pushed back to Firefox 11. Will land it soon after tree opens for Firefox 11.





Tree Management


Security Reviews Scheduled for this week

Date / Time

Mon Oct 31 / 13:00 PST

BrowswerID API
Thu Nov 03 / 10:00 PST

WebBattery (Fennec) bug 678694
Fri Nov 04 / 10:00 PST

Flash for Android

Calendar and Meeting details

General Meeting Details
* IRC Channel: #security
* Etherpad:
* Dial-in Info:
** In office or soft phone: extension 92
** US/INTL: 650-903-0800 or 650-215-1282 then extension 92
** Toronto: 416-848-3114 then extension 92
** Toll-free: 800-707-2533 then password 369
** Conference num 624

Security Severity Ratings Changes

  • new version of the severity ratings posted 31-Oct-2011
    • New layout
    • includes sections for bugzilla keyword & Feature Page Security Usage
    • Ending the use of sg:crit? & sg:critical?

Stability Report


  • Planning on trying to triage the crash list and clean up some of the old bugs, signatures we are no longer getting.
  • Hangs – a few investigations into hang issues
    • Tracking a possible regression – 2 new plugin hang signatures that appeared on Aug 8, 2011. The signatures appeared across all versions but seem to have more than doubled on 7.0.1 vs 6.0. Tracked by bug 561019
    • Crash team analyzing some WinQual data to see what information that gives us.
    • Kairo’s flash hang reports shows a bit of an increase in numbers over the past few days – we are investigating –
  • Beta – looks good
  • Aurora – crashes we are tracking –
  • Trunk – new regressions
  • Firefox 7
  • Third Party
    • Working with White Sky to resolve the Comcast Constant Guard Crash Issue. See bug 694974 for most recent spike.
    • Working with F Secure to resolve hang issue – see bug 694683


  • Detailed report for this week –
  • bug 694987 – isolate the Birch crashes from Nightly.
  • Top Crash in Nightly (10.0):
    • bug 694964 crash [@ gfxSharedImageSurface::Open]
    • bug 536074 – Crash [@ JS_ResumeRequest ]/ bug 696386 Crash on Quit [@ JS_ResumeRequest]
      • Dmandalin looking at this…
    • Crash Reports for mozalloc_abort __swrite / mozalloc_abort pthread_mutex_unlock need better skiplist filter
    • [NEW] bug 621446 Crash [@ mozilla::net::HttpChannelParent::RecvRedirect2Verify ]
  • Top Crash in Release (7.0.1):
  • bug 661158 Crash on mobile SMP devices while sending PRNetAddr over IPDL [@ Pickle::ReadBytes]
  • bug 622992 Fennec crash in base::CloseSuperfluousFds at startup
    • resolved in nightly; getting pushed to aurora, but not beta
  • bug 687367 – Bionic domain name functions are not thread-safe on pre-3.0 Android
    • bug 687367 only fixed on nightly ; side bug still exists : bug 694325 Android DNS is single threaded


Still no progress on:

  • bug 625989 Support tabs in title bar on Mac OS X
  • bug 590945 Implement the rest of the window frame in XUL

These are blocking the new theme, and we need to find a way to unstick them.


Mozilla Project Meeting Minutes: 2011-10-31

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 12:00 am


« previous week | index | next week »

<script>if (window.showTocToggle) { var tocShowText = “show”; var tocHideText = “hide”; showTocToggle(); } </script>

Video for today’s meeting

<video controls=”controls”><source src=”” type=”video/ogg; codecs=”theora, vorbis””/></video>

Friends of the Tree

Speaker Location: Mountain View

Upcoming Events

Speaker Location: Mountain View

This Week

Monday, 31 October

  • Happy Halloween!
  • Cathy Davidson presents “Now You See It: How the Brain Science of Attention Will Transform the Way We Live, Work, and Learn”. 10-Forward in Mountain View at 12:30pm Pacific time, and on Air Mozilla

Tuesday, 1 November

  • Paris office closed for All Saint’s Day

Wednesday, 2 November

  • Jenn Ng User Experience Researcher from Palm/HP will be giving a brown bag at noon in 10Forward talking about her process and findings on various studies relating to webOS.

Thursday, 3 November

Friday, 4 November

Mozilla Festival begins!

Next Week

Product Status Updates

Firefox Future (8, 9, 10)

Speaker Location: Phone (johnath)

  • Firefox 8 is virtually done
    • Any outstanding issues need to be resolved TODAY
    • Signoff meeting will be scheduled for later this week, likely Wednesday
  • If you read only one article on the future of Firefox feature development this week, read Dietrich’s
  • Source migration is in 1 week!

Firefox Current (3.5, 3.6, 4.0 – 7.0)

Speaker Location: No voice update

  • Planning to go to build today for Firefox 3.6.24
  • There will be a 3.6.25, shipping with Firefox 9

Mobile Firefox

Speaker Location:

Nightlies (without auto update quite yet) are here:


Speaker Location: Toronto

  • Ran the TB8-TB9 compatibility update for addons.
    • 325 tested, 16 fail, 309 pass.
  • We’ve got a test build of Tabs-on-Top.
    • Try it out, and let mconley know what you think!


Speaker Location: Toronto


The limit is 3 minutes per speaker. It’s like a lightning talk, but don’t feel that you have to have slides in order to make a presentation.




More Details

Zandr Milewski

Air Mozilla


Quick update on the present and future of Air Mozilla

Mountain View

Status Updates By Team






Release Engineering


Test Execution
QA Community
Browser Tech
Automation Services

Automation & Tools

  • Landed Talos user responsiveness tests, but had to be backed out due to crashes and hangs that did not appear in staging. Investigation ongoing.
  • Developing an error reporting system for BMO
  • Tp nochrome now working for Native Fennec builds, tpan, tzoom, reftest, and browser-chrome replacement still underway
  • More updates here


Security Reviews Scheduled for this week

Date / Time

Mon Oct 31 / 13:00 PST

BrowswerID API
Thu Nov 03 / 10:00 PST

WebBattery (Fennec) bug 678694
Fri Nov 04 / 10:00 PST

Flash for Android

Calendar and Meeting details

General Meeting Details
* IRC Channel: #security
* Etherpad:
* Dial-in Info:
** In office or soft phone: extension 92
** US/INTL: 650-903-0800 or 650-215-1282 then extension 92
** Toronto: 416-848-3114 then extension 92
** Toll-free: 800-707-2533 then password 369
** Conference num 624

Security Severity Ratings Changes

  • new version of the severity ratings will be posted 31-Oct-2011
    • New layout
    • includes sections for bugzilla keyword & Feature Page Security Usage
    • Ending the use of sg:crit? & sg:critical?

SecTeam Conferences




Creative Team

Community Marketing





Developer Tools




Introducing New Hires

New Hire

Introduced by

Speaker location

Will be working on
New person’s name here

Who will be introducing that person?

From which office will that introduction be transmitted?

What will the new person be working on?
Frederik Braun

Michael Coates

Mountain View

Infrastructure Security
Hubert Figuiere

David Bolter

Toronto Office

Shezmeen Prasad

Stormy Peters

Mountain View Office

Developer Engagement
Marlena Compton

Stephen Donner

Mountain View Office

Web QA Engineer
Peter Bengtsson

Laura Thomson

Peter in MV, Laura on the phone

Web Developer
Nicolas Pierron

David Mandelin

Mountain View Office

Software Engineer
Jan de Mooij

David Mandelin

Mountain View Office

Software Engineer

Foundation Updates


« Newer Posts

Powered by WordPress