Meeting Notes

17-May-2011

SeaMonkey Meeting Minutes: 2011-05-17

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 11:00 pm

SeaMonkey/StatusMeetings/2011-05-17


« last meeting | index | next meeting »

SeaMonkey Meeting Details

<script>if (window.showTocToggle) { var tocShowText = “show”; var tocHideText = “hide”; showTocToggle(); } </script>

Agenda

  • Who’s taking minutes? -> Ratty

  • Nominees for Friends of the Fish Tank?
    • Callek for his RelEng work

    • Tonymec for his bug triage sessions.

Action Items

(who needs to do what that hasn’t been recorded in a bug) We should assign people to the open items.

NEW

  • Ratty to see if he can round up some Lightning testers from the various SeaMonkey forums. comm-miramar builds are now available here. q.v. bug 653507 Lightning nightly builds for Miramar (Thunderbird 3.3 / Gecko 5.0) (comm-central + mozilla-aurora comm-miramar + mozilla-aurora)

OPEN

CLOSED

  • IanN to email Fallen to get some cooperation for getting a version of Lightning that is compatible with SeaMonkey 2.1 out on AMO.

    • Fallen said that he would rather we put our efforts into testing against the 1.0b4 release from comm-miramar than try and do anything from comm-2.0 there would be issues around L10n from comm-2.0. If enough decent testing can be done then he would be happy to mark it as compatible with 2.1 on AMO.

K.I.V.

  • Get permission from Google to use their geolocation JSON service [KaiRo]. We can still only wait on the Google front right now. Didn’t hear anything about open Geolocation service yet. No easy solution in sight.

SeaMonkey 2.1

open blockers (1)
blocker requests (0)
targeted (0)
fixed (60)

  • Firefox 4.0 was released on 22nd March.

  • SeaMonkey 2.1 RC was released on 12th May, based on Gecko/Mozilla 2.0.1, built from comm-2.0.
  • SeaMonkey 2.1 final is scheduled for 16th May (“yesterday”) Friday 20th May (moved so we can have 1 full week with RC1 out).
  • The Add-on Compatibility Reporter has been declared compatible with 2.1, which should help getting SeaMonkey extensions on A.M.O. up to speed.

Further 2.1 scheduling:

  • Please help updating the New 2.1 Features page as we go.

    • comm-2.0 is neither used nor supported by Thunderbird so InvisibleSmiley and Ratty have taken the responsibility for transplanting MailNews Core bugs from trunk as appropriate.

    • Note: SeaMonkey will directly go the the permanent repositories, i.e. -aurora, -beta in addition to -central. Miramar is a Thunderbird-only release branch.
  • There might not be any more official security updates to the 1.9.1 branch after the upcoming one, so we should get a stable release based on Mozilla 2.0 out as soon as we can.

Feature List, Planning

Bug statistics for last two (full) weeks: 46 new, 37 fixed, 30 triaged.

  • A good amount of fixing and triaging happened. There are fewer outstanding reviews and feedbacks this time.

  • Good further triage targets could come out of looking at the component bug counts, pick yours!

Open reviews/flags:
29 review
12 super-review
0 ui-review
5 feedback

Major wanted/needed features:

2.1

Active
  • We will need to look into Lightning, which is mainly targeting Thunderbird.

    • Lightning 1.0b4 from comm-miramar needs to be tested against SeaMonkey 2.1. comm-miramar Lightning builds are now available at the ftp site.

    • Due to recent Lightning patches/fixes, Lightning nightlies are now working again on SM trunk.
  • Besides Lightning, we should also take a look at other add-ons that are important for our users when they switch to 2.1.

2.next

Needing help, Unowned, Stalled

For now only a drop zone for those bugs that obviously will not make 2.1.

  • bug 460953 kill-rdf port [Closed].

    • Ewong to create a new meta-bug and move any unresolved dependencies over plus a dependent bug containing patch G as well.
  • bug 436794 Enable Mac OS X system address book per default and add UI.
    • SM UI needed, unowned, helpwanted.
  • bug 449728 Drag tabs between windows.
  • bug 477845 Build a standalone (Gecko 2.0) Composer. [kaze]
    • kaze is currently busy with his new job so doesn’t have much time to spend on this.

    • bug 477840 Backport KompoZer to Composer (Depends on bug 477845).
    • kaze has done a ton of work there. We still need to work out some organizational issues. At the moment there is no active interest from MoMo for bringing standalone composer into comm-central. That’s something we (KaiRo and kaze) will have to negotiate with the Thunderbird team (dmoseStandard8).
  • bug 507841 Port Bug 422814 – Make account configuration quick, easy, and more secure (autoconfig, Quick Account Setup).
  • bug 533908 SeaMonkey Mail: tabs not restored [misak].
  • bug 523274 Complete new default theme icon set.
    • A list of TODO icons is up in the bug.

    • MattATobin and MReimer arewere looking into this.
  • bug 526210 Update the icon set for the SeaMonkey Modern Theme.
    • bug 548778 New communicator icons (based on Strata theme) for SeaMonkey. Some proposed icons got posted, we should take a look how to get that contribution into the product.

    • The rest is unowned so far.
  • bug 87098 [SeaMonkey] Delete key should delete location bar history list entry.
    • No l10n impact

    • (InvisibleSmiley: ) Neil said “Actually our location bar history doesn’t and can’t use autocomplete at all.”, moving to 2.next.
Active
  • bug 570004 Popup/”doorhanger” notifications [Neil].

    • Implementation moved to bug 595810.

    • lwthemes doorhangers are done, so are doorhangers in general, too?
  • bug 606683 Allow customization of toolbar in Composer and MailNews Composition [IanN].

    • A lot of untangling needs to go on between the 3 editors that we have. We can expect a bit of code cleanup for 2.1 but full customization has to go to 2.next as it needs work on TB too which is taking a while to get reviews on, plus feedback from kaze.
  • We need to finish bug 654864 soon, but none of Neil’s comments on bug 422845 triggered any response, so InvisibleSmiley feels reluctant to continue.
    • One option is to create a TB patch and get a review.

We also should take a look at the other items on 2.1-wanted
Also the nominations need triaging.

Roundtable – Personal Status Updates

Status Updates from developers – what are you working on, what’s the progress, any other comments? (feel free to add yourself to the list if your name is missing and you have interesting status).

Aqualon

asrail

Callek

  • Fixed:

    • bug 649830 SeaMonkey 2.1pre (Polish) for Mac contains Russian or Swedish language packs [Build Config].

    • bug 655395 Hide the “main-features” box for SeaMonkey, to prepare for SeaMonkey 2.1 [A.M.O.].
    • bug 655607 Do the l10n magic from bug 544096 for SeaMonkey2.1 as well [Build Config].
    • bug 657270 Update the tree-closure hook for c-c based apps for the rapid-release-train [RelEng].
  • Working on:
    • bug 633397 Automatic partial update from 2.1b1 to 2.1b2 build 2 misses extensions [RelEng].

    • bug 647107 snippet details URL is not secure, can spoof major updates. [RelEng].
    • bug 655621 Disable Spotlight on mac[64] machines [RelEng].
    • bug 655650 (SM2.1rc1) Tracking bug for build and release of SeaMonkey 2.1 rc 1 [RelEng].
    • bug 656838 (SM-rapid-release) Tracking bug for SeaMonkey boarding the rapid-release-train.
    • bug 657271 Update cctbpl in order to track the rapid-release-train [RelEng].

ewong

Fixed:

  • bug 366774 Remove unused preference bidi.characterset [Core].

  • bug 480696 Add ifdef MOZ_UPDATER for the app update preferences UI and Help menu.
  • bug 566440 APP Update dialog is too wide with modern.
  • bug 601562 Update Modern theme from missingPlugin.css to pluginProblem.css.
  • bug 643199 Correctly remove outdated L10n files on update.
  • bug 651844 Remove unused labelMessage.label.

Working on:

  • bug 39113 Show current profile name in preferences.

  • bug 112356 No option to leave email messages on server when creating new account.
  • bug 451960 s/observes=/command=/g in /editor/ui/*.
  • bug 562048 notification bar needs to look slicker [TB].

IanN

  • Usual testing, reviewing and commenting.

  • Fixed:
    • bug 568052 Adapt Modern theme for new Add-on Manager (initial work by InvisibleSmiley)

    • bug 634755 JavaScript strict warning: chrome://venkman/content/venkman-views.js, line 1791: reference to undefined property this.outputDocument.height
    • bug 650885 Make better use of menuitem and command elements relating to editing already in utilityOverlay
    • bug 653418 Remove MOZ2.0 code from Sanitizer.jsm
    • bug 655529 Make use of contentAreaContext in message compose window
    • bug 655626 Use menu_newEditor in editorOverlay.xul
    • bug 655730 Port |bug 437174 – Disabling 3rd party cookies breaks sending cookies for channels with no docshell|
    • bug 655842 Port |bug 417483 – Double separator in context menu when selecting empty text & using iframes|
    • bug 655863 Port |bug 581475 – nsContextMenu cleanup|
    • bug 656801 test_contextmenu.html has 4 new unexpected failures since landing of bug 655842
    • bug 657106 Give Debug Plain Text Editor a context menu
  • Waiting for review on:
    • bug 638643 Remove obsolete EditorToggleParagraphMarks from editor.js

    • bug 657161 Make use of contentAreaContext in Composer
  • Working on:
    • bug 606683 Allow customization of toolbar in Composer and MailNews Composition

    • bug 639690 [META] Re-arrange code between editor and editorOverlay
    • bug 657234 Move pasteQuote and pasteNoFormatting into contentAreaContextOverlay
  • To Do:
    • bug 639395 Get cmd_fontSize to reflect current state of selected content / content at caret.

    • Prefs-in-a-tab.

InvisibleSmiley

  • Fixed:

    • bug 656713 Update SeaMonkey website for 2.1 RC 1 release

    • bug 656719 Create 2.1 Release Notes
    • bug 656068 Add screenshots page to 2.1 docs
    • bug 637835 “Error: gFolderDisplay is not defined” in Advanced Search dialog when trying to drag search result entry (d&d impossible)
    • bug 646792 Let the “Learn More” link from the plugin-crashed notification from Bug 601493 point to in-app Help
    • bug 654516 Fix Sync button appearance in Modern
  • Working On:
    • Prepare website for 2.1 release

    • bug 656463 Port browser parts of |bug 631374 – Adding or removing tags in the selector listbox always scrolls to top| to SeaMonkey
    • bug 654864 Suite changes from |bug 652855 – De-RDF the address book| and |bug 422845 – Replace rdf-driven addressbook directory tree with js one|

KaiRo

  • Did some build system reviews on the way to SeaMonkey 2.1 final.

  • Landed my patch for linking OpenSearch Engine Manager in sidebar and prefs (bug 595246) in time for SeaMonkey 2.1 final, split off the hairy edge case as separate bug 654420.
  • Looked through the L10n sign-offs for SeaMonkey 2.1 and accepted those that were ready, worked with Callek to sort out the problematic ones.
  • Started to work full-time for Mozilla.
  • Some more build system review and coordination work going along with Callek producing SeaMonkey 2.1 final (as RC1 for now).
  • More looking into SeaMonkey L10n sign-offs for 2.1 and problematic locales for 2.1, while Callek went to do a build2.
  • Updated German website for SeaMonkey 2.1 RC 1, including relnotes, and sent announcements for it.
  • As usual, my blog has more detailed status about my work, and Mozilla Status Board Posts also tell about my next planned steps.

mcsmurf

I fixed bug 649810 – SeaMonkey 2.1pre Windows installer ignores extension choices (installs always all extensions).

Misak

Mnyromyr

Fixed bug 624255: Ignored subthreads need visual feedback.

MReimer

Neil

Did some reviews.

Fixed:

  • bug 408599 FeedProtocolHandler creates horrifying nsIStandardURLs.

  • bug 537015 Restore the spinner that was removed in bug 481359.
  • bug 582195 Create sane equivalent of ConvertibleToNative() function for frozen linkage [MailNews Core].
  • bug 653743 Search button is too small.
  • bug 654017 nsTreeBodyFrame.cpp:3530:11: warning: unused variable ‘rightEdge’.
  • bug 654420 “Get more search engines…” in Engine Manager does nothing if no browser open.
  • bug 655412 Tab strip scroll arrows appear by default and have to be hidden.
  • bug 655588 Desaturating filter produces more realistic grey scale than colour averaging [Addons Manager].
  • bug 656886 Context menu broken in non-browser sidebars.
  • bug 657215 No search engine selected in Internet Search preferences on new profile.

Almost done:

  • bug 595810 Centralise notifications for ease of conversion to doorhangers.

Waiting for Reviews:

  • bug 499785 SeaMonkey can’t handle spaces in OpenURL, Firefox can.

  • bug 611503 Constructing an nsTDependentString from an nsTAString makes no sense. [Core]

Ratty

Bugs fixed:

  • bug 653460 Add app.update.timerMinimumDelay and app.update.backgroundMaxErrors to browser-prefs.js.

  • bug 654007 Can’t save as template via File > Save As Menu [SeaMonkey Part].
  • Bug 655265}} [Classic] In Windows Classic Theme there is no feedback when hovering over or clicking menu-toolbarbuttons and dropmarkers.

Stalled/To Do:

  • bug 652822 [TabMail] Mousewheel scroll on tab bar should change tab.

  • bug 654009 Reply to list: automatically determine From: address [SeaMonkey
  • bug 420296 Holding the tabdrop indicator over a tab for a moment should open this tab to allow drag&drop of content from one tab to another tab” (Port bug 248612).

Other:

  • Bug triage and Bug discussions.

  • End user support and PR in newsgroups and Mozillazine.

Ricardo

Fixed bug 655442 Issues with Chatzilla Locale for SeaMonkey 2.1 [es-ES].

sgautherie

  • Fixed SeaMonkey (related) bugs:

    • bug 647394 “test_idcheck.xul | Test timed out.” since bug 627240 landing

    • bug 653106 Port |Bug 572463 – Prototype urlclassifier/safe browsing client code in JS| to SeaMonkey
  • Fixed MailNews Core bugs:
    • bug 652849 Port |Bug 585020 – Remove build time option to disable svg| to comm-central
  • Fixed (or in-progress) Core bugs:
    • bug 603574 [Windows VC++] –disable-profile-guided-optimization is ignored
  • Fixed other projects bugs:
    • [ChatZilla] bug 634888 [ChatZilla] Remove obsolete ‘-moz-pre-wrap’ support

    • [Venkman] bug 634887 [Venkman] Remove obsolete ‘-moz-pre-wrap’ support

stefanh

Fixed:

  • OSX bug 648086 (Prefwindow title change from ‘Preferences for x profile’ to pane title when selecting pane) by backing out bug 39113.

Any other business?

  • InvisibleSmiley wonders whether we could have the Mozilla major version be our minor version, at least for starters (which would let us start with 2.5 instead of 2.2)

    • [IanN] In terms of version numbers, perhaps the first question is what happens when we get to Gecko 10, and what happens when we want to increase our major version.

    • [InvisibleSmiley] We could have minor version = Gecko version.
    • KaiRo thinks a major version bump should be when something significant changes in SeaMonkey-specific stuff.
    • Prior to rapid release, we bump our minor version about every six months. Now it’s every time FF increases its version.
    • Discussion to be continued (but not today).

Thunderbird Meeting Minutes: 2011-05-17

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 11:00 pm

Thunderbird/StatusMeetings/2011-05-17


last meeting | index | next meeting »

Current Release Schedules
Thunderbird 3.3 Beta 1 Thunderbird 3.1.11
Releases/Thunderbird 3.3b1

  • Code freeze: TBD

  • L10n freeze: TBD
  • Builds start: TBD
  • QA with builds start: TBD
  • Beta period starts: TBD
  • Final release: 21 June

Thunderbird Meeting Details :

Remember to press *1 to unmute yourself before talking!

Feel free to ask questions in the meeting either by speaking up or by asking them in #maildev on IRC.

Other ways to get in touch with us can be found on our communications page

Agenda

  • Who’s taking minutes? –> gozer

  • Minute taking Schedule. Talk to Standard8 for schedule changes/additions.
  • Note: this meeting is for interactive discussion. Feel free to ask questions!

Action Items

Friends of the Tree

Thanks to our Friends of the Tree When adding someone to this section, please get their T-Shirt size and send it to rebron@mozilla.com so that he can send them a shirt!

Conversion Funnel (Priority 0 side project)

  • No new status.

Thunderbird Development

For more details, see also the driver meeting notes.

Feature Work

Account Provisioner:
On pause while bwinton concentrates on OpenSearch.

Experiments

Thunderbird Conversations
  • Investigations on trunk related to gloda indexing being messed-up. This is the last bug in a series of bugs related to making sure we index sent messages immediately, which will greatly enhance the responsiveness for Thunderbird Conversations. Bienvenu and :asuth did a lot of work.

  • Bugfixes on the Conversations side, I’ll release a b1 version that matches the next version of Miramar.
  • Hoping to catch up with :mrbkap in Paris to hunt bugs down in the JS engine.
Compose in a tab
Thunderbird Sync
Account Summary
Ubuntu Unity Integration
  • Thunderbird has been provisionally accepted as the default e-mail client in Ubuntu Oneiric Ocelot, so long as we:

    • Support the Messaging Menu, and the Unity Launcher (which my extensions more or less do already)

    • Make some theme changes to make Thunderbird fit in more with the UI
    • Integrate the address book with Evolution Data Server – this is a superset of integrating with Ubuntu One contacts sync
    • Fit on the disc. This is one we have little control over, and really depends on what other default applications Canonical decides to include on the Oneiric disc.
  • I’m changing the Unity Launcher extension to display all unread messages across all accounts, as opposed to new unread messages. This is the desired behaviour, according to a talk I attended at UDS.
  • I’m about to land a patch that will finally get new mail notifications piping through notify-osd. Yay!

Schedule and Progress

Miramar
  • See this post for the plans for releasing Miramar

  • Still a few more blockers remaining overall for 3.3.
  • About 23 locales (out of 54) green so far.
  • Today:
    • mozilla-aurora merges to mozilla-beta

    • We’ll be separating mozilla-miramar from its mirroring of mozilla-aurora
    • We’ll be creating separate l10n/mozilla-miramar repositories for l10n based on their work so far.
  • Looking to get a first beta building this week or next.
Miramar.next

Thunderbird 3.1.x

  • Next release ETA TBD

  • Bug Lists: 3.1

QA Updates

  • Thunderbird 3.3 string frozen in [progres] 25% test coverage so far.

Marketing Updates

  • Press Update: several stories on Ubuntu and Thunderbird, 1, 2; and the usual tips and tricks articles

  • Thunderbird ADUs: Back on track with high of 7.1MM ADUs reported yesterday, Germany, US, France, Japan, Italy, top 5 countries leading the way
  • Website: starting to work with Reach Creative on the design work, schedule to be posted later this week on deliverables and design reviews

Infrastructure Update

  • Work progressing on the new buildbot masters.

Build / Release Update

  • Thunderbird 3.3 beta build 1 this week or next

Web Update

  • working on AMO patch for the discovery pane

  • figuring out a patch to improve kitsune l10n process later this week

Documentation

Support

(If you support Thunderbird or write or translate documentation to help support Thunderbird, please subscribe to the tb-support-crew mailing list and briefly introduce yourself to the list)

  1. 872 new support topics – Media:9-15May-2011-Community_stats_for_Mozilla_Messaging.png

  2. SuMoMo migration to Kitsune KB migration done! Check it out at support.mozillamessaging.com. All locales with significant localization have been “Thunderbird”-ized (if your locale is missing, love to have your locale! Please post to our remaining locales to be localized Kitsune forum and email rtanglao AT mozilla.com). Future improvements are being tracked in bug 645198: Q2 Kitsune improvments bug
  3. 3.1 Support Issues
  4. See this week’s Support Appendix for full Get Satisfaction metrics and other support details

Lightning Updates

Status Updates

See the Mozilla Status Board for status updates specific to developers.

Roundtable Highlights

Attendees

Mozilla Platform Meeting Minutes: 2011-05-17

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 11:00 pm

Platform/2011-05-17


« previous week | index | next week »

<script>if (window.showTocToggle) { var tocShowText = “show”; var tocHideText = “hide”; showTocToggle(); } </script>

Notices / Schedule

  • Next week, this agenda will be done on Monday. That means we won’t be adding to it five minutes before (or during!) the meeting.
  • The mozilla-aurora → mozilla-beta merge has been completed successfully

    • Waiting for the l10n repos to be copied (see bug 657417) before sending the all clear

    • There is now 1 week of idle time on mozilla-aurora due to the schedule differences between Firefox 5 and Firefox 6
  • Ongoing discussion on tree checkins and build bustage in mozilla.dev.planning.

Firefox Development

(no updates today)

GFX

  • Benoit Girard (BenWa) has joined us full-time! To start, he’s working on asynchronous plugin drawing on Mac OS X.

  • Joe is looking for suggestions for projects for graphics interns to do. If you’ve got graphics tasks that you’d like done, interns are a great resource!
  • Nothing to report for GLES layers, mostly due to WebGL security issues (e.g. bug 656277).

JS

Debugger (Jim Blandy, Dave Camp, Jason Orendorff)

Architecture:

jorendb, the world’s dumbest JS debugger: http://pastebin.com/Xn1f54sJ

Plans: https://wiki.mozilla.org/DevTools/Features/Debugger

Milestone 1 is next Friday. It will be very basic: “stop at a debugger statement, view the stack, show the source”.

Chat: #devtools

Layout

  • Nothing to share

Plugins

DOM

Network

  • Networking is now its own group led by Josh Aas. Members are Brian Smith, Jason Duell, Nick Hurley, Honza Bambas, Bjarne Herland, Michal Novotny, and Patrick McManus.

  • Improving testing capabilities is a top priority.
    • Looking into additional testing for things like high latency connections and certain forms of packet loss.

    • Looking into making use of Telemetry.
  • Working on mobile disk cache.
  • Fixing a number of IPv6 bugs in preparation for World IPv6 Day.
  • Starting SPDY implementation soon.

Tree Management

  • need a 1-2 hour tree closure so Ops and RelEng can clean up some extremely crufty DNS zone files. How about early Monday morning Pacific time? See bug 646126.

Stability Report

  • Crash rate on the trunk is slightly higher than 1 week before the last cutover to Aurora.

  • Not surprising since we probably have more changes.
  • Top crashes
    • Bug 656354 – nsDocShell::SetDocCurrentStateObj(nsISHEntry*). Not new but rising quickly. Review pending.

    • Bug 648022 – Fixed on Aurora but not on trunk.
    • Bug 653296 – Not new but on the rise.
    • Bug 657292 – Some activity on it.
    • Bug 657418 – Few crashes until 05/14/2011 when all of a sudden we went to about 30+ a day.

Roundtable

16-May-2011

Mozilla Project Meeting Minutes: 2011-05-16

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 11:00 pm

WeeklyUpdates/2011-05-16


« previous week | index | next week »

<script>if (window.showTocToggle) { var tocShowText = “show”; var tocHideText = “hide”; showTocToggle(); } </script>

Video for today’s meeting

<video controls=”controls”><source src=”http://videos.mozilla.org/serv/air_mozilla/monday_meetings/status-2011-05-16.ogg” type=”video/ogg; codecs=”theora, vorbis””/></video>

Friends of the Tree

  • aceman for triaging the most bugs during the Firefox Aurora Bugday last Friday. – ashughes

Upcoming Events

This Week

Monday, 16 May

Tuesday, 17 May

Wednesday, 18 May

  • Contributor Engagement Brownbag on Wednesday @ 12:00PM Pacific on Air Mozilla: Learn what the Contributor Engagement team is working on and how it can help you and new contributors

Thursday, 19 May

Friday, 20 May

  • [QA] Firefox Mobile Test Day [details]

Next Week

Product Status Updates

Firefox 5 & 6

  • Aurora goes to Beta this week!

  • Nightly goes to Aurora in one week!
    • Details of the merge (specific time / plan) will be sent around soon
  • Remember to check the channels blog for rapid release process updates.

Firefox 4, 3.6, 3.5

Firefox 4

  • Turned on the advertised update, still processing feedback

  • At this time there is no plan to create a 4.0.2
  • If there are any major issues please email release drivers

Firefox 3.6.x

  • Firefox 3.6.18 is scheduled for release at the same time as Firefox 5

    • Detailed schedule coming out this week
  • We are triaging nominations and approving patches Monday/Wednesday/Friday morning PDT every week

Firefox 3.5.x

  • There are no plans to do another Firefox 3.5 update

  • An end-of-life plan for Firefox 3.5 has been posted

Mobile Firefox

Thunderbird

Drumbeat

(No voice updated this week)

Speakers

The limit is 3 minutes per speaker. It’s like a lightning talk, but don’t feel that you have to have slides in order to make a presentation.

Title

Presenter

Topic

Media

More Details
Toolbox

Jeff Hammel

Toolbox is an index of Mozilla software tools

http://brasstacks.mozilla.com/toolbox/

http://brasstacks.mozilla.com/toolbox/about
Community Directory

Gervase Markham

The Mozilla contributor directory (“phonebook”) is an effort to make the community feel smaller and improve communication and friendliness

None

Screencast: http://www.mozilla.org/phonebook/
https://wiki.mozilla.org/Domesday
https://wiki.mozilla.org/Mozilla_Contributor_Directory
Mozilla Colombia

Jeff Balogh, Matthew Claypotch, Philip Von Something

We went to Bogota Colombia for a Firefox party

http://www.flickr.com/photos/62646177@N02/sets/72157626682490100/

Status Updates By Team

Firefox

Platform

Messaging

Mobile

IT

Release Engineering

QA

WebQA
QA Community
  • Romania Firefox 4 Launch party (May 3rd) blog [1] post

  • London tester meetup (May 3rd) blog [] post
  • Good turn out for a Selenium test meetup here in 10 Forward last friday CSS vs XPath Locators
  • Successful bug day last Friday Firefox Aurora Bugday

Automation & Tools

  • Talos Tp5 (new pageset) is finished, working with RelEng to roll out

  • Toolbox is released – registry for tools.
  • Working with Ehsan to improve the War On Orange (WOO) UI
  • Blocking bug “errors are not enumerable” bug 650646 fixed for Mozmill, released 1.5.4pre last week for QA.
  • More notes and status here

Security

Engagement

PR

Events

Creative Team

Community Marketing

Support

Metrics

Evangelism

Labs

Developer Tools

  • The Scratchpad has landed and is on track for a Firefox 6 arrival. The Scratchpad helps people more easily prototype and experiment with JavaScript code. We’ll talk more about this tool leading up to the Firefox 6 release.

  • Join us each week on Thursdays at 8am PDT to hear more about tools-in-progress and to get involved with developer tools projects.
  • Last week’s meeting notes included 3 quick video demos and we plan to do more of that from week to week.

Add-ons

Webdev

L10n

Introducing New Hires

  • Benoit Girard (introduced by Joe Drew in Toronto)

  • Matthew MacPherson (introduced by Wenzel)

Interns of the week

Andrew Drake
Trevor Saunders
Erik Holk
Wilson Guaraca
Tanay Gavankar
Wesley Dawson
Siddharth Agarwal
Matt Basta

Foundation Updates

Roundtable

11-May-2011

Mobile Meeting Minutes: 2011-05-11

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 11:00 pm

Mobile/Notes/11-May-2011


Details

  • Wednesdays – 9:30am Pacific, 12:30pm Eastern, 16:30 UTC

  • 650-903-0800 or 650-215-1282 x92 Conf# 8605 (US/INTL)
  • 1-800-707-2533 (pin 369) Conf# 8605 (US)
  • irc.mozilla.org #mobile for backchannel

Schedule

  • Fennec 5 Beta (May 17)

    • Rapid Release Status

    • Branch Mechanics
    • Branding for beta has landed on mozilla-aurora
    • Android package ID is org.mozilla.firefox_beta so the beta can be installed side-by-side with other channels
  • Fennec 6 (May 24)
    • Merging mozilla-central to mozilla-aurora

    • Branding for Aurora has landed
    • Android package ID is org.mozilla.fennec_aurora so aurora can be installed side-by-side with other channels

Major Topics for This Week

Application

Front-end

  • Work for FF6 -> We have Features, Bugs and Testing

  • Landed:
    • Touch events

    • Session Store Enhancements – save the state sooner
    • Anti-malware/phishing – defaulted off until the back end uses smaller files
    • Better browser feature discoverability
    • Visual refresh – backend code landed
    • CSS themes for different Android versions – core landed
    • Tablet UI – core changes for browser tool panels landed
  • In-Progress:
    • Language selection – handed add-on off to Wes for upstreaming

    • Session Store Enhancements – patch started for history and scroll position
    • Android text selection handles – stalled
    • Mobilize text – viewport designs in-progress
    • Visual refresh – css and image changes are in progress
    • Tablet UI – actionbar/sidebar design and coding have started
  • Ready to Start
    • Better integration for form assistant on Android
  • At Risk
    • Disk cache

    • Anti-malware/phishing – backend
    • Others?
  • Bug triage has been ongoing – check your assignments!

UX design

Platform Support

Android

  • work progressing on plugin support

  • Geoff has a patch for cache compression which reduces cache size
    • need to get Tp numbers to see if it improves Tp

Maemo

Performance

Testing

QA

Test Suites

Test Automation

Release Engineering

Priorities page

  • Fennec 5.0 train

    • bug 653717 – aurora branding – landed, with mozconfigs + testing

    • bug 654838 beta branding – tested, with release mozconfigs — issues with android strings?
    • bug 655107 – 5.0b1 test build – ran a staging user repo 5.0b1; ready for a real-life “test”/”fake” 5.0b1 once repos are created and beta branding is fixed
    • bug 656133 – create mozilla-mobile-5.0 and mobile-5.0 repos — pending IT
    • Need to create nightly/depend builds off mozilla-mobile-5.0 and mobile-5.0 repos
    • Mobile5.0 tinderbox page
  • Fennec 6.0 train
    • bug 557260 – MobileBuildFactory should inherit MercurialBuildFactory — in the end game, will need to land this week or next.

      • This will fix clobberer, build-from-revision, make hg operations more robust, and get mobile buildbot infra much closer to desktop buildbot infra.

      • Certain amount of risk when landing, but this is blocking 0.8 release work which we want in time for the 6.0 train.
    • bug 574764 – mobile release builds on buildbot 0.8 — this task will be a lot easier once bug 557260 lands, especially since other RelEng team members will be able to modify existing desktop release infra to do mobile releases.

Other

Firefox/Gecko Delivery Meeting Minutes: 2011-05-11

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 11:00 pm

Firefox/Planning/2011-05-11


« previous week | index | next week »

Planning Meeting Details

  • Wednesdays – 11:00am PDT, 18:00 UTC

  • Mountain View Offices: Warp Core Conference Room
  • Toronto Offices: Fin du Monde Conference Room
  • 650-903-0800 or 650-215-1282 x92 Conf# 8605 (US/INTL)
  • 1-800-707-2533 (pin 369) Conf# 8605 (US)
  • irc.mozilla.org #planning for backchannel
  • (the developer meeting takes place on Tuesdays)
REMEMBER

These notes are read by people who weren’t able to attend the meeting. Please make sure to include links and context so they can be understood.

<script>if (window.showTocToggle) { var tocShowText = “show”; var tocHideText = “hide”; showTocToggle(); } </script>

Actions from Last Week

  • Jay to come back next week with an update on the feature inbox triage process — We triaged on Monday, dispatched about half the items, others need more information and use cases before they can be evaluated.

Schedule & Progress on Upcoming Releases

Firefox 3.6.x/3.5.x/4.0.x

Firefox 5 (Desktop)

  • Add-on compatibility update from fligtar

    • Automatic compatibility bump tools to be completed this week

    • Aiming to do the 5.* bump in 2 weeks
  • Merge to beta happens next week
  • Does that mean the Firefox 5 beta release will be before the 5.* AMO compatibility bump?

    • yes, quite likely. We expect to be ready to ship within a week of the merge, and since we’re creating new tools for the AMO compatibility bump there’s some risk to their date. After we’ve tested the beta merge and are ready to go we’ll see where we are on the compatibility front before making the release decision.

    • Current 5.* add-on compatibility is 29%, half our normal compatibility when we’ve shipped a beta. We don’t know how this will impact uptake.

Firefox 6 (Desktop)

Fennec 4.0.x

Firefox 5 (Mobile)

  • Scheduled for May 17

    • Rapid Release Status

    • Branch Mechanics
    • Branding for beta has landed on mozilla-aurora
    • Android package ID is org.mozilla.firefox_beta so the beta can be installed side-by-side with other channels

Firefox 6 (Mobile)

  • Scheduled for May 24

    • Merging mozilla-central to mozilla-aurora

    • Branding for Aurora has landed
    • Android package ID is org.mozilla.fennec_aurora so aurora can be installed side-by-side with other channels

Firefox Sync

Add-on Builder 0.9.2

Add-on SDK 1.0b5

Myk is in China and I (Dave Mason) can’t hear on the phone – read the wiki!

  • Released 1.0b5 last Thursday

  • On track to release first RC ~ May 25th
  • On track to complete 1.0 by early June

Input 3.5

  • Note:

    • Grouperfish is about 2-4 weeks out from being integrated into Input. Michael is working on a few blockers

Feedback Summary

Aurora Feedback

More positive this week than last week, overall.

4.0.1 Feedback

  • Printing [6] — Might be incompatible HP web printing plugin/extension (unclear) which seems to break printing on any printer, but especially web printing.

  • Can’t open PDFs [7]
    • might be: bug 613756 or bug 642454
  • Yahoo (can’t attach files to mail) [8]
  • Mouse scrolling issues (may be related to having a PDF open/open in background) [9]
    • might be: bug 613756 or bug 642454
  • After major update, the following issues came back:

    • Want to downgrade

    • How to save tabs
    • Refresh button
    • Back button
    • Status bar
    • Extensions: mainly IDM
    • Much slower (?)
    • PDF-related issues (can’t open, scrolling around PDFs)

Press & Public Reactions

Questions and Concerns

  • Will there be a product-level signoff before the merge to beta, as per the new development process which examines whether the issues being tracked are in a good enough state to merge forward to that audience? (beltzner)

    • LegNeato: yes! this will happen at Monday’s [Firefox/Beta|Firefox Beta] meeting
  • Axel: did mail outreach to locales on aurora yesterday, feedback says that we won’t have complete status before monday. should be expecting some landings on beta post branch. open questions about double merge onto aurora as well as beta – possible impact to next merge from aurora->beta. joduinn and axel to take offline.

Actions this week

  • Cheng to coordinate with product marketing and UX to determine what, if any, response we should have to the problems of 4.0 users being confused about session restore changes.

10-May-2011

Thunderbird Meeting Minutes: 2011-05-10

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 11:00 pm

Thunderbird/StatusMeetings/2011-05-10


last meeting | index | next meeting »

Current Release Schedules
Thunderbird 3.3 Beta 1 Thunderbird 3.1.11
Releases/Thunderbird 3.3b1

TBD

Thunderbird Meeting Details :

Remember to press *1 to unmute yourself before talking!

Feel free to ask questions in the meeting either by speaking up or by asking them in #maildev on IRC.

Other ways to get in touch with us can be found on our communications page

Agenda

  • Who’s taking minutes? –> Ludovic

  • Minute taking Schedule. Talk to davida for schedule changes/additions.
  • Note: this meeting is for interactive discussion. Feel free to ask questions!

Action Items

Friends of the Tree

Thanks to our Friends of the Tree When adding someone to this section, please get their T-Shirt size and send it to rebron@mozilla.com so that he can send them a shirt!

Conversion Funnel (Priority 0 side project)

Thunderbird Development

For more details, see also the driver meeting notes.

Feature Work

Account Provisioner:
On pause while I concentrate on OpenSearch.

Experiments

Thunderbird Conversations
  • Busy working on trunk, fixing bugs that enhance the behavior of Thunderbird Conversations.

  • Hit bugs in the JS engine, had to reproduce, file backtrace, etc.
  • I strongly advise against running conversations + trunk. Use miramar instead!
  • Two blockers left before 1.0b1 release.
Compose in a tab
Thunderbird Sync
Account Summary
Ubuntu Unity Integration

Schedule and Progress

Miramar
  • See this post for the plans for releasing Miramar

  • Thank you to all those who have helped progress the blockers this week. We’re now down to about 6 blockers remaining overall for 3.3.
  • String Freeze and branching of comm-miramar: today
    • Just 2 or 3 more string related patches to land.
  • Next date: 17th May
    • mozilla-aurora merges to mozilla-beta

    • We’ll be separating mozilla-miramar from its mirroring of mozilla-aurora
    • We’ll be creating separate l10n/mozilla-miramar repositories for l10n based on their work so far.
  • First beta should happen when we can fit it in after 17th May.
Miramar.next
  • See this post for how we get onto the release train

  • Next date: 24th May
    • Merge from central to aurora

    • String freeze, no feature additions after this date
  • Repositories and build infrastructure to be set up soon.
    • Trunk Nightly build tomorrow morning

Thunderbird 3.1.x

  • Next release ETA TBD

  • Bug Lists: 3.1

QA Updates

  • We need a few more participants for our testing event in the beginning of next week – please sign up.

Marketing Updates

Infrastructure Update

  • Got newly imaged minis ready for staging

  • MoMo Calendar builders now with clobberer!

Build / Release Update

  • set up auto-push for Miramar hg repos

  • try server upgrade now working smoothly
  • resolved some calendar build issues
  • Fedora builder random test failure fixed by moving VMs to local storage

Web Update

  • thanks to gozer for getting kitsune staging up, going to upgrade to 2.8 and try to stay no more than a week behind SUMO

  • planning to move main parts of momo.com to mozilla.org by end of quarter

Documentation

  • new FLOSS Manual on internet security includes chapter on Thunderbird (I reviewed and edited)

  • finished Kitsune “meta” articles
  • re-start conversation regarding single-sourcing inline source documentation

Support

(If you support Thunderbird or write or translate documentation to help support Thunderbird, please subscribe to the tb-support-crew mailing list and briefly introduce yourself to the list)

  1. 579 new support topics – Media:2-8May2011-Community_stats_for_Mozilla_Messaging.png

  2. SuMoMo migration to Kitsune KB migration done! Check it out at support.mozillamessaging.com. All locales with significant localization have been “Thunderbird”-ized. Future improvements are being tracked in bug 645198: Q2 Kitsune improvments bug
  3. 3.1 Support Issues
  4. See this week’s Support Appendix for full Get Satisfaction metrics and other support details

Lightning Updates

Status Updates

See the Mozilla Status Board for status updates specific to developers.

Roundtable Highlights

Attendees

standard8 Bwinton gozer jhopkins sancus roland jenzed

Mozilla Platform Meeting Minutes: 2011-05-10

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 11:00 pm

Platform/2011-05-10


« previous week | index | next week »

<script>if (window.showTocToggle) { var tocShowText = “show”; var tocHideText = “hide”; showTocToggle(); } </script>

Notices / Schedule

  • Merge from mozilla-aurora to mozilla-beta still planned for May 17 (next week!)

  • Beta meetings are already happening, Mondays at 2pm. See dev.planning for details.
  • Migration of beta users from old FF4 betas has begun – progress updates next week (or at the Wednesday, 11am product call)
  • Merge from mozilla-central to mozilla-aurora still planned for May 24 (2 weeks!)
  • New blog for tracking updates to the channels process (think logistics): blog.mozilla.org/channels

Firefox Development

Platform

GFX

JS

Layout

  • Starting work to get SVG text to reuse our CSS block/inline text layout code, to bring most CSS text features to SVG (Cameron McCormack)

  • Nothing else significant to report. Zzzzzz

Plugins

DOM

Network

Tree Management

Stability Report

Roundtable

9-May-2011

Mozilla Project Meeting Minutes: 2011-05-09

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 11:00 pm

WeeklyUpdates/2011-05-09


« previous week | index | next week »

<script>if (window.showTocToggle) { var tocShowText = “show”; var tocHideText = “hide”; showTocToggle(); } </script>

Video for today’s meeting

<video controls=”controls”><source src=”http://videos.mozilla.org/serv/air_mozilla/monday_meetings/status-2011-05-09.ogg” type=”video/ogg; codecs=”theora, vorbis””/></video>

Friends of the Tree

Upcoming Events

This Week

Monday, 9 May

Tuesday, 10 May

Brown Bag
“Of Browsers and Robots”
Daniel Casner from Anybots on in-browser controls and telepresence robots.
12:30PM in Ten Forward

Wednesday, 11 May

Community Marketing Call: 10 a.m. PDT/17:00 UTC/19:00 CET. In-progress agenda and dial-in info here.

Thursday, 12 May

Friday, 13 May

Next Week

Product Status Updates

Firefox 5 & 6

  • Merge from mozilla-aurora to mozilla-beta still planned for May 17 (next week!)

  • Beta meetings are already happening, Mondays at 2pm. See dev.planning for details.
  • Migration of beta users from old FF4 betas has begun – progress updates next week (or at the Wednesday, 11am product call)
  • Merge from mozilla-central to mozilla-aurora still planned for May 24 (2 weeks!)

Firefox 4

Mobile Firefox

Thunderbird

  • Having a community run litmus testing Event next week in order to make sure that nothing is regressing. Details on how you might help are in this email.

  • String freeze for Miramar at end of day tomorrow
  • Comm-central will branch for Miramar at the same time

Older Branch Work

Drumbeat

Speakers

The limit is 3 minutes per speaker. It’s like a lightning talk, but don’t feel that you have to have slides in order to make a presentation.

Title

Presenter

Topic

Media

More Details
Product Marketing Manager

Laura Mesa

Coming Mark Up Campaign

N/A

The site will have a dark launch later this week–I’ll send en email when its live so you can help test!

Status Updates By Team

Firefox

Platform

Messaging

Mobile

IT

Release Engineering

QA

Desktop Firefox
WebQA
QA Community

Automation & Tools

Security

Engagement

PR

Events

Creative Team

Contributor Engagement

  • Update on Contribute Inquiries:

    • The contribute group answered inquiries from over 1600 people using the Get Involved page. Before Firefox 4 and recent awareness efforts we got 300 – 400 a month. That’s a growth rate of over 400%!
  • Wrapped up the Mozilla Tech Tour in Senegal.

Support

Metrics

Evangelism

Labs

Developer Tools

Add-ons

Webdev

L10n

Introducing New Hires

  • Kyle Huey

  • Abhinav Sharma
  • Hernan Rodriguez Colmiero
  • Shawn Gong
  • Paul Stansifer
  • Nikhil Marathe

Foundation Updates

Roundtable

4-May-2011

Mobile Meeting Minutes: 2011-05-04

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 11:01 pm

Mobile/Notes/04-May-2011


Details

  • Wednesdays – 9:30am Pacific, 12:30pm Eastern, 16:30 UTC

  • 650-903-0800 or 650-215-1282 x92 Conf# 8605 (US/INTL)
  • 1-800-707-2533 (pin 369) Conf# 8605 (US)
  • irc.mozilla.org #mobile for backchannel

Schedule

Major Topics for This Week

Application

Front-end

  • Work for FF6 -> We have Features, Bugs and Testing

  • Some have landed some Front-end tasks:
    • Touch events

    • Session Store Enhancements – save the state sooner
    • Anti-malware/phishing – defaulted off until the back end uses smaller files
  • We have enough information (design or otherwise) to start some tasks:
    • Language selection – creating the list is done, started on restarting after installing the add-on

    • Session Store Enhancements – landed speedup, working on history
    • Android text selection handles – started experimenting
    • Mobilize text – viewport the page
    • Better browser feature discoverability – WIP patch is up
    • Visual refresh – backend changes are r+ waiting for sr+
  • Some other designs might be almost ready to start prototyping:
    • Tablet UI – Looking to start tomorrow

    • Better integration for form assistant on Android
    • Visual refresh – CSS and images

UX design

  • designs ready for front-end team on discoverability, language choice, copy/paste (selection handles) – see feature pages

  • final decision on form assistant changes today
  • ongoing work
    • awesomescreen2 (Ian’s WIPs), focusing on fxhome v1 this week

    • Brian working on spec for honeycomb short-term changes for later this week (breakdown of possible changes)
    • Ian on visual refresh, prioritizing gingerbread
    • Ian coming up with mobile-specific error page layout, text rewrite to follow
    • Madhava tweaking touch-events border size
  • find platform owners for zooming (iOS vs android) approach?

Platform Support

Android

Maemo

Performance

Testing

QA

Test Suites

Test Automation

Release Engineering

Priorities page

  • Are we planning on being on the 5.0 train?

  • [in staging] (ateam, bear) bug 654116 – tegra xpcshell tests need pidfile
  • [in progress] (bear) bug 616057 – rebuild Android NDK with PIC
  • [in progress] (jhford) bug 557260 – have MobileBuildFactory inherit MercurialBuildFactory
    • fixes clobberer

    • fixes build-from-revision

Other

Trust no crashes received from builds between 4/28 and 5/4. Turning on PGO screwed all linux/linux64 crash stacks so they don’t actually say anything useful (bug 654595).

« Newer PostsOlder Posts »

Powered by WordPress