I am happy to announce that Lightning 3.3, a new major release, is out of the door. Here are a few release highlights:
- Various components have been made asynchronous, allowing for better perceived performance. This means less hanging when Lightning is busy.
- Improved invitation processing, as well as a few new features:
- Restrict sending invitations to newly added attendees
- Send one invitation email per attendee, not disclosing other attendees
- Consider default BCC and CC of configured email identity when sending invitations
- More actions when viewing invitations, e.g. tentative accept, accepting only occurrences.
- When accessing Google Calendar via CalDAV, the authentication dialog doesn’t constantly reappear.
There have also been a lot of changes in the backend that are not visible to the user. This includes better testing framework support, which will help avoid regressions in the future. A total of 103 bugs have been fixed since Lightning 2.6.
When installing or updating to Thunderbird 31, you should automatically receive the upgrade to Lightning 3.3. If something goes wrong, you can get the new versions here:
Should you be using Seamonkey, you will have to wait for the 2.28 release, which is postponed as per this thread.
If you encounter any major issues, please comment on this blog post. Support issues are handled on support.mozilla.org. Feature requests and bug reports can be made on bugzilla.mozilla.org in the product Calendar. Be sure to search for existing bugs before you file them.
There are a number of addons that have compatibility issues with Lightning 3.3. The authors have been notified and a few first fixes are available:
- Calendar Tweaks: This addon causes constant flashing and makes Lightning unusable. The author has been notified and has released version 6.0 which shoul fix all issues. Plase notify him in case there is more trouble.
- Thunderbird Conversations: There is an issue with the Lightning invitations plugin. It has been fixed in one of the nightly builds and will be available as a release soon.
- There was an issue with addons.mozilla.org that caused all Lightning downloads to fail. It has been fixed in the meanwhile.